Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio & Wisconsin

Twin Cities Acuras

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by WannabeG
^Thats an Auto.
Yeah I realized that after I posted. I was specifically searching manuals, idk why they put the auto in there
Old 01-28-2011, 01:01 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nate_0022
Yeah I realized that after I posted. I was specifically searching manuals, idk why they put the auto in there
I hear ya on that. I see it a lot when searching for a new G. They think because it has tiptronic that it is a manual.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:48 AM
Punctuation Nazi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Josh, are you gonna autoX the wagon this summer????
Greetings from the eastern bloc!

Prolly not going to take the wagon out. That thing is a fat pig. I love driving it, but it would make a better drag car than an autox car.

Although, the wife wants a 3 series, maybe I'll talk her into a European delivery M3?
Old 01-29-2011, 11:26 AM
8th Gear

That would be quite the experience! Never hurts to try! haha
Old 01-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by asujosh1

Prolly not going to take the wagon out. That thing is a fat pig. I love driving it, but it would make a better drag car than an autox car.

Although, the wife wants a 3 series, maybe I'll talk her into a European delivery M3?
Hey Josh are you in Europe.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Instructor

eastern bloc??
Old 01-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Eastern Bloc is the previously communist countries on the eastern end of Europe. I'm in Lithuania for the next month, returning at the end of Feb.

It's pretty cool here, the food is really cheap, but they have all kinds of insane designer clothing at prices that would make the most wealthy people I know cringe. Tons of alcohol at really cheap prices, oh and did I mention that you could get whiplash looking at all the stunning women? Yeah, this place is crazy, we haven't seen many women that weren't smokin hot.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Boosted...

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
So all the talking about spring and nice weather, I had to start the mods. Installed my exhaust, and intake. It gives the TL a whole new sound. Now i just need to get my headers welded up and get them installed next. Here's a couple of cell phone pictures

Old 01-30-2011, 07:09 PM
Intermediate

Anyone here drive a black TSX slammed on some A-Spec wheels? Saw it while out to dinner in the Uptown area and had to go over and stare. Looks good!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:06 PM
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by WBA-01
So all the talking about spring and nice weather, I had to start the mods. Installed my exhaust, and intake. It gives the TL a whole new sound. Now i just need to get my headers welded up and get them installed next. Here's a couple of cell phone pictures

Nice

I would like to do the PCD's What do you say. When and what do we need to do this?
Old 01-31-2011, 01:02 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carmodifier
Good idea bro! I would also keep your TL and just get yourself a banger for AutoX. BTW, I think you meant to say '99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
Your right... I just learned to type the day before...

Yea man. Definitely keep your TL. Suspension, wheels, sway bars, etc and that car could be a LOT of fun on the autoX tracks.

Just gotta do some things to bring back the love, regardless of the auto.

I agree, but i dont think ill be doing any Autox with her unless i get 2 sets of wheels. At the same time, if im gonna spend money on 2 sets of wheels for the TL ill just use that money towards gettting a dedicated Autox car that can sit in the garage when im not racing.

Well we are officially moved out of our apartment and living in a hotel. Hopefully we will close on our house this week so I can have the fun of moving all our shit back out of the storage unit and into the house... Fucking moving sucks!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:34 AM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts
Hopefully it's your last time moving Eh?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:50 AM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Originally Posted by nate_0022
Hopefully it's your last time moving Eh?

It should be. The only other time im going to move is to move back to Hawaii.

It is day 2 of living in the hotel and still no word on when we are closing on the house. Given the fact that we were supposed to close on January 11th, there is no way to tell when we will actually close. Dont you just hate government grants...
Old 02-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Boosted...

Hey bmeyer, I see you got a buyer for your CT S/C kit locally Is it anyone on this thread ?? I have been reading through the turbo kit thread and was wondering how your build was going. Are we going to see that turbo at any meets this summer ?
Old 02-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
I'd actually prefer not to 'out' anyone. I'll let the individual know about the thread and allow them to chime in if they so desire.

My build has actually been at a standstill for the past month or so what with the holidays and all. My 3.6L longblock is assembled and I need to get the heads dropped off at the shop. Once they come back I can finish up with assembly and get the motor installed. I'm not sure on an actual date when the motor will go in, but it will certainly be before the last snowflake melts.

Just as long as I can keep the tranny and axels in one piece you'll probably get to see it at some point this summer.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Boosted...

Originally Posted by bmeyer
I'd actually prefer not to 'out' anyone. I'll let the individual know about the thread and allow them to chime in if they so desire.
I can understand that, hoping that see that kit installed on here
Your pictures on your dyno thread are the reason i want to get a supercharger in the first place. Are you willing to share any info on your 3.6 build as i'm just getting started on mine. I was just going to through a 3.7 crank into a spare J32a2.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Pro

I can share some info, but some of the juicy bits are being kept under wraps until a later date.

It's a new J32A3 block with Pauter J37 chrome moly rods, CP forged pistons, J37 forged crank, P&P'd heads, Type-S cams and KMS titanium valvetrain. It'll be fed by a J&R turbo kit and connected to the tranny with a twin-disc Tilton clutch with ltw. aluminum flywheel. There will be a MS3 stand-alone engine management unit combined with a J&S Safeguard for controlling knock on a per-cylinder basis.

I have some power goals in mind, but they're not going to happen right off the bat. It's going to be a slow process, but I will get there provided I don't start making mince meat of the drivetrain.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:57 PM
10th Gear

Advice

I crashed my 99 tl and was looking at another 99 tl and a 00 tl. I know they had problems with 00. Would you still recommend it. The 99 has 114k and 00 has 124k.
Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Yousef
Old 02-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by youie99
I crashed my 99 tl and was looking at another 99 tl and a 00 tl. I know they had problems with 00. Would you still recommend it. The 99 has 114k and 00 has 124k.
Thanks
Yousef
WBA01 would be the best to give you advice.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Boosted...

Originally Posted by youie99
Thanks
Yousef
I would personally lean towards the 00 just for the fact of if you need a trans at any time, you can use the newer 04-07 Tl trans as an upgrade. The 99 would need a new harness, ecu and lots of extra parts to do the same swap. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Advanced

Eastern Bloc is the previously communist countries on the eastern end of Europe. I'm in Lithuania for the next month, returning at the end of Feb.

It's pretty cool here, the food is really cheap, but they have all kinds of insane designer clothing at prices that would make the most wealthy people I know cringe. Tons of alcohol at really cheap prices, oh and did I mention that you could get whiplash looking at all the stunning women? Yeah, this place is crazy, we haven't seen many women that weren't smokin hot.
Send some pictures we all like smoking HOTTTT How are you doing still? Have you been any were else? Let us know you are alive. Sent us a message smoke signals pony express something.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Well... I went ahead and put in 30 bucks worth of 87 octane in my TL today YAY ME!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Evil_Pineapple
Well... I went ahead and put in 30 bucks worth of 87 octane in my TL today YAY ME!!!!!!
Throw in some diesel, that will even it out!

I just sent the paypal for my new wheels, hopefully things work out and I will be rolling on them this summer!
Old 02-11-2011, 02:26 PM
T-Swzy

I am well, TL is in the same condition as three years ago; unshow-worthy. god knows if i'll ever do anything to that car anymore.

it's really nice to see new names popping up though. who's putting together the summer meets?
Old 02-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by accordselux
Throw in some diesel, that will even it out!

I just sent the paypal for my new wheels, hopefully things work out and I will be rolling on them this summer!
What wheels did you purchase?
Originally Posted by Razzi
I am well, TL is in the same condition as three years ago; unshow-worthy. god knows if i'll ever do anything to that car anymore.

it's really nice to see new names popping up though. who's putting together the summer meets?
Look what the cat dragged in!

How's it goin' Razzi!? Does that statement mean you will actually come to a meet this year??
Old 02-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Intermediate

What wheels did you purchase
A set of Work VS's I had my eye on for a while. A little euro-style flavor to throw on the car.

I've been hearing things about Tein releasing an updated set of Basics that included better rust protection which sounds like a benefit here. I've always been worried about using coilovers in MN.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by accordselux
A set of Work VS's I had my eye on for a while. A little euro-style flavor to throw on the car.

I've been hearing things about Tein releasing an updated set of Basics that included better rust protection which sounds like a benefit here. I've always been worried about using coilovers in MN.
Very nice! Did you get them with the gold face and chrome lip? I am considering picking up some Work VS-XX in Xteme Gold as a second set of rims.

I bought Ksport coilovers with rear custom spring weights (200 lbs. left/right) for my whip. I don't need to worry about parts rusting anymore since she hibernates in the Winter now

Last edited by Carmodifier; 02-11-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Intermediate

Very nice! Did you get them with the gold face and chrome lip? I am considering picking up some Work VS-XX in Xteme Gold as a second set of rims.

I bought Ksport coilovers with rear custom spring weights (200 lbs. left/right) for my whip. I don't need to worry about parts rusting anymore since she hibernates in the Winter now
Sort of! The previous owner got them powdercoated silver and then gold on top. It's the chrome lip with an apparently custom gold center.

My car's the daily driver and for now the only car we have so no go on keeping it indoors Plus I have to save that space for a Miata or S2000 or something...
Old 02-14-2011, 10:05 AM
8th Gear

Hey Follow Minnesota Acuraziners!

I'm new to the club. Just traded in my Acura 2003 TL Type-S and bumped up to a 2008 Type-S last week.

I live in St.Paul (really Hugo, but close enough).

Love these forums. great DIY info for helping out doing some mods now.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hat_Trick2007
Hey Follow Minnesota Acuraziners!

I'm new to the club. Just traded in my Acura 2003 TL Type-S and bumped up to a 2008 Type-S last week.

I live in St.Paul (really Hugo, but close enough).

Love these forums. great DIY info for helping out doing some mods now.
Welcome! When I was shopping the dealer was trying to convince me to jump into a TL type S. They're fun cars.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

So I've had my research work cut out for me. I was planning on pulling the trigger on a 2002 Trans Am WS6, but now I'm second guessing myself.

What do you guys think of some of these cars? Granted, I do realize they are all very different - but I'm pretty open at this point. Thinking more along the lines of an AWD car, instead of going the summer/winter route since my truck isn't liking these gas prices. (wifey still not working either)

Looking along the lines of 2006-2008 years. Newer, but not priced new. Putting some thought into like a 330xi, G35x, 300C AWD or a Lancer Evo (thought about a WRX STi but between the two, I like the Evo styling more)

I know Josh had the Scoobi, and has an xi currently (I believe), and Janik has been an Infiniti guy for a while. I've even thought about picking up an RL, but not really sure I'm ready for another Acura. Great cars, just not sure.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Pro

I've got an E46 325xi, and like any German car... be sure that you're prepared to put up with the B.S. that it's inevitably going to throw your way. They *ALL* have, or will have, issues that will make you want to sell it on the spot. Though I've never owned an Alfa-Romeo, which Top Gear regards in much the same way, I'd have to imagine that owning ANY German car is much the same.

If you're looking for a *driver* versus a car that you feel like developing a love/hate relationship with, I'd go Japanese.

Don't get me wrong... I don't at all regret picking up the Bimmer. In many aspects, it's a better car than my TL. On the flip-side though, there are many times at which I would have liked to set fire to it and let it burn to the ground. (The same can be said for the A4 that I bought for the wifey.)

I can't say that I'd ever personally recommend a G35 either. While they may be good cars, they're just not for me. I need more out of a car in terms of build quality and performance than what a G35 can offer. Your mileage may vary.

Same for an Evo or an STi. While I respect the performance levels, for that kind of money, I expect more out of the interior than the Wall-mart-ian level of plastic and cloth they offer.

Last edited by bmeyer; 02-15-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Just out of curiosity, what would you recommend then? Here are basically the choices I've got - this should allow just about anyone to chime in.

a) Get a RWD, High HP, Convertable summer car - and keep the truck (I currently spend $30 a day in gas)

- I've also considered this option, plus getting an old civic or something with some snow tires for 90% of the winter driving, reserving the truck for actual "snow" driving

b) Trade the truck in for a newer one, going from 11mpg, to 20mpg and just use that as my DD

c) Getting an AWD vehicle, driving it year round, and again - keep the truck for the few times a year it actually "snows" where you need a truck

In no immediate plan, do I see actually getting rid of the truck for good. Unless I'm at the stealership and they offer me $10k for it, then I might consider. But with it starting to bubble at the wheel wells, and book being around the 8-10k mark.... It's worth the convenience of having a truck around for the 5-6l I'd actually get for it.

I've got a buddy of mine that has a G35, and he really likes it. My wife has driven it, and she likes it more than my TL. Granted, I have not driven it - but I have seen it from the inside enough. I don't feel that this car is sub-par to the TL. Possibly a tad smaller, but I don't see any more cheapness then I noticed with the TL?

Never knew anyone, or had any experience with Bimmers, so I'm clueless there. German stuff does scare me though. lol

I've actually heard nothing but bad things about any Audi's. Although the S4's and S6's do fascinate me, I'd be hard pressed to actually pull the trigger on something so sketchy when it comes to reliability.

I do understand your point of the Evo and STi though. I don't care for the styling of the STi's at all really. But I have to admit, that deep red of the Evo is dead sexy. Plus, I'd be looking at getting an MR for daily driving luxury - so it would come with a softer suspension and leather heated Ricaro seats. Granted, not exactly 760Li seats, but I think it's a step up from the grey burlap that they usually come with.

I'm old enough to know that I want luxury - but I realize I can't afford just to buy a name if it's going to be broke down in my driveway. I need reliable, PRACTICAL, and fun - all in the same package.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Pro

I actually don't make any recommendations for anyone. Everyone has a different situation as well as needs. I can only speak from personal experience.

The biggest issue with German cars is that they tend to cheap out on key parts that we generally take for granted. For instance, on the A4 that we have, the ENTIRE PCV system is a 'scheduled maintenance item'. It's all made out of cheap plastic that clogs easily with the oil vapor common in the system. The other thing is that you tend to need a specialty tool for everything. I maintain that BMW and Audi only make cars as a means to sell their tools.

Sounds like you have a fairly large range of potential vehicles. Just spend some time test driving some of the more promising options and go with that.

The Evo or STi sounds like a pretty promising option though. They both cover the 3 points you touched on at the end (reliable, practical and fun). If I had to choose between the two, I'd probably pick the Evo. To me, it's always managed to just edge out the STi in nearly every category. Though I can't speak for the latest generation of STi.

The biggest thing that I can say is to research the HELL out of whatever you're buying. Scour the forums for common problems and how much it costs to fix those items. Then make a list of those items and take it with you to the test drive. Also bring a flashlight and some basic tools. There's nothing worse than realizing you bought a lemon after you looked at it and thought it was fine.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Boosted...

GLowrdr, Here's my opinion for what it's worth. I'm torn between (a) and (c). I am personally more like the first option, with the TL as my DD and then a Corvette convertible summer car. If the corvette wasn't already mine or i was looking to do it over again, i would lean towards the Evo. I have my own dislike for the Subaru's , and i would never even consider owning anything "German Engineered". But after reading your last sentence you should go all in on a TL SH-AWD 6speed.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:11 AM
Punctuation Nazi

I'm driving a 535xi wagon now and I love it. It's a serious highway machine, I've had zero problems with it, and it just plain flies. There's tons of room for Bodhi in the backseat (those damn car seats are HUGE!), room for a stroller and luggage for a long trip. My wife loves the huge pano sunroof, put simply, I have no complaints about buying that car.

That said, if I didn't have Bodhi, I would still have the Scooby. That was the most fun car I have ever owned, BY FAR! Parts to tune it are cheap and the engine is easily reliable well over 400WHP (without a lot of work mind you). I will agree that the Evo is the looker of the two, but that's about all she's got in her little bag of tricks. Walk around back, pop the trunk and then think about what you might ever fit in there if you took the car on a roadtrip. The trunk is smaller than the glove box on the bimmer, it's pathetic.

A couple of other things to consider:
1. The Suby community is HUGE and very helpful. There are a couple of mechanics that hang out on the boards and offer help or advice to issues that are reported, and the local dealers are pretty good about helping too. Outside of car help though, I had one guy help me network the house, help set up my home theater, etc. and all just for asking. These were people that I had never met before asking for help and they just volunteered. It's a great community to be a part of, people wave to you on the road just because you are in a scooby. The local dealers offer a 15% discount on parts to all members of MNSOC which is good if you want to add on factory bits after purchase.

2. When I was rallying the scoob, there was a distinct lack of Evo presence. Rally is tough on a car and it will show you just what they are made of. The one time an Evo did show, he broke it before the end of the morning runs and spent the afternoon riding around with me in the Scooby. This tells me that the scoobies have a much better design and are much more rugged. There aren't even any Evo X owners at autocross which is significantly easier on your vehicle.

Also think about what the car is going to be like as a daily driver when you want to go to the store and do X, Y, or Z. That is what helped me to decide when I was looking for a vehicle before purchasing the Scoob. I thought about what I wanted to do in it and then tried to visualize what that would be like in each of my options. The result was that I purchased a car that suited my needs better than any other I have ever owned.

Shit, I still want to buy another scooby. When we move to Texas I'm thinking about getting another one to play with instead of the 911 that I've had my eye on. I think the Evo is a poseur-mobile.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Originally Posted by bmeyer
Same for an Evo or an STi. While I respect the performance levels, for that kind of money, I expect more out of the interior than the Wall-mart-ian level of plastic and cloth they offer.

I totally agree with you on the interiors but at the same time your not paying for comfort. It is the same as American muscle, The price tag on a Saleen or Trans Am should get you some nice things on the inside but your paying for the motor. Its all about performance.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Evil_Pineapple
I totally agree with you on the interiors but at the same time your not paying for comfort. It is the same as American muscle, The price tag on a Saleen or Trans Am should get you some nice things on the inside but your paying for the motor. Its all about performance.
And I understand that, but my standpoint remains the same. When it comes to spending my hard earned money, especially that amount, that big of a short-coming is just unacceptable.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

If I had to give any advice on this... Think about what it is you really want. Is there a car you have always wanted? is there something specific you want to do? Everyone is different. There is going to be good and bad with any vehicle you purchase and people are going to have varying opinions on every single vehicle.

From my personal experience, I should have just bought a Subaru. I love the way they look, sound and perform. I can drive it in the snow, I can take to AutoX, I can take the family out for a trip. There are tons of parts and they are fun fun fun. When I look at my TL, it is a really nice looking car but it is a luxury car. I am not going to build it to be a track car. I am definitely not going to put all kinds of performance mods in it just to parade it around town to show it off.

An everyday driver can be fun and practical but dont go crazy on it. Its like those guys that have HUGE lifted trucks but never take them off roading... whats the fucking point?!?! Again, think about what you want out of it. If luxury and a little fun is what your looking for then the BMW or the Infinity will do fine. If performance is what your after then do the EVO or the STI. If you want all out badass, steel toe boot to the skull, while taking the lords name in vain... stick with American Muscle... My
Old 02-16-2011, 07:10 PM
8th Gear

Glow, go take a G35X out for a spin and see how you like it. I am probably going to be selling mine this weekend, but only for a G35S 6spd.

The G has been a great car (we have had 3, now adding a fourth) and I even managed to convince both my friends into buying one just because they like how solid my car has been and how fun to drive it is. Most magazines refer to it as the Japanese BMW 3 series (which is a near perfect car, except for the fact that they are more money and cost more to fix) and it is the only car that can touch that and even beat it in some comparos.

I may be biased (well, i am lol) but i love the car. The VDC system works great in the snow and really provides you and excellent driving experience in the summer. Gotta love being RWD biased.

Worth a drive. They aren't for everyone, but I have yet to meet a owner that doesn't like theirs.

Check out g35driver.com to if your looking at them from a reliability standpoint.

The prices have come down so much on them that they are an excellent bargain car. I mean, there is a LOT there for the money. And depending on your price range, you might be able to jump into an 07 with the 306horse V6. Those things are just rockets...

If you ever got any questions before deciding if the car is right for you, hit me up on facebook or on here. I pretty much know these like the back of my hand.

Quick Reply: Twin Cities Acuras