WWFSDD

What Would Full* Self Driving Do?
Old 01-10-2022, 03:34 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,154 Likes on 4,036 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
WWFSDD

What Would Full* Self Driving Do?
charge you $10k and still crash into the car.

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/43779/this-tesla-model-y-dummy-crash-shows-exactly-why-lidar-matters

https://jalopnik.com/watch-teslas-and-audis-and-other-cars-smack-into-fake-k-1848316218

Last edited by SamDoe1; 01-10-2022 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:40 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,448 Likes on 4,970 Posts
In one more week it'll be an additional $2k for the privilege
Old 01-10-2022, 03:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
yet they are still complaining dealer markups...
Old 01-10-2022, 03:55 PM

I will say that in this market, not having to deal with salespeople and their managers has been really nice.

But the rolling price increases are tiresome. It would be nicer if they aligned with MY releases and adjusted pricing at that time.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:00 PM
Team Owner

I will say that in this market, not having to deal with salespeople and their managers has been really nice.

But the rolling price increases are tiresome. It would be nicer if they aligned with MY releases and adjusted pricing at that time.
Yah but you cannot expect the company to really give you a honest price if we dont want to negotiate. In an ideal world, sure.

If you dont want to deal with the hassle of dealerships, then you just have to pay what the manuf wants you to pay... no what if, no but. If they want to do a monthly increase, then you just have to accept that.
If you dont like that, then you will have to deal with people.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:53 PM

Agreed, but purchasing a car right now is hell. I typically love negotiating deals. Right now though, every dealership is adding a market adjustment and they rarely budge on it, especially if it's a car that's even remotely desirable. They use excuses like the chip shortage, low inventory, or their struggling parts and service dept as the reason for these mark ups. The sad thing is that people gladly pay for it - and that's making it worse.

The dealership model as a whole is a scam. Dealerships are middlemen that are simply looking to make a buck off of your purchase. The manufacturer already got their money when the dealership purchased the car from them (at cost) - they don't care what happens at that point, they made their money. The dealership then adds a few grand (or many, in this market) because...they can In normal times, you could just take your business elsewhere but guess what - we're not living in normal times. Fucking Hyundais are selling at $10-15k over sticker. And as long as politicians have NADA lobbyists in their ears and pockets, they're going to allow this shit to keep going on.

I'm not agreeing with the Tesla model as it is run. The random price hikes are a turn off. But the convenience (again, in this market) is nice.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:07 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,689 Likes on 4,211 Posts
...sad thing is that people gladly pay for it...
​​​​​​​The entire problem is right there. As long as people have more money than brains, the situation is going to continue. Our society as a whole is fucked.
The following 3 users liked this post by pttl:
civicdrivr (01-10-2022), Comfy (01-10-2022), SamDoe1 (01-11-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 08:14 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Agreed, but purchasing a car right now is hell. I typically love negotiating deals. Right now though, every dealership is adding a market adjustment and they rarely budge on it, especially if it's a car that's even remotely desirable. They use excuses like the chip shortage, low inventory, or their struggling parts and service dept as the reason for these mark ups. The sad thing is that people gladly pay for it - and that's making it worse.

The dealership model as a whole is a scam. Dealerships are middlemen that are simply looking to make a buck off of your purchase. The manufacturer already got their money when the dealership purchased the car from them (at cost) - they don't care what happens at that point, they made their money. The dealership then adds a few grand (or many, in this market) because...they can In normal times, you could just take your business elsewhere but guess what - we're not living in normal times. Fucking Hyundais are selling at $10-15k over sticker. And as long as politicians have NADA lobbyists in their ears and pockets, they're going to allow this shit to keep going on.

I'm not agreeing with the Tesla model as it is run. The random price hikes are a turn off. But the convenience (again, in this market) is nice.
Exactly my point too (even though I don’t love negotiating deals - rather hate them). Unfortunately once the price hike happens, then even if the causative events have resolved, it’s a long and hard process for the prices to come down. Simply because all of the manufacturers and dealerships get used to getting more money by selling fewer products and that inertia tends to continue. That’ll change only when aggressive price wars happen between manufacturers for market share. A collusion between the automakers can curb that too.
As I’ve said before, Tesla is also not going to single-handedly reduce their prices even if they could. Why should they? Tesla will simply match their prices to the competition or keep it marginally below them and simply ride the profit margins.
Unfortunately there are not many winners in this entire fiasco. The only winners are those manufacturers with direct sales model and efficient manufacturing at mass scale, and Tesla is the best placed among them.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:44 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,714 Likes on 6,493 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by #1 STUNNA:
civicdrivr (01-11-2022), SamDoe1 (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 08:57 AM
Sanest Florida Man

That's almost 20 years of GM (the leaders!) EV production!
Old 01-11-2022, 09:11 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by pttl
The entire problem is right there. As long as people have more money than brains, the situation is going to continue. Our society as a whole is fucked.
This. As long as people will pay it, they'll keep doing it.

Originally Posted by Comfy
Exactly my point too (even though I don’t love negotiating deals - rather hate them). Unfortunately once the price hike happens, then even if the causative events have resolved, it’s a long and hard process for the prices to come down. Simply because all of the manufacturers and dealerships get used to getting more money by selling fewer products and that inertia tends to continue. That’ll change only when aggressive price wars happen between manufacturers for market share. A collusion between the automakers can curb that too.
As I’ve said before, Tesla is also not going to single-handedly reduce their prices even if they could. Why should they? Tesla will simply match their prices to the competition or keep it marginally below them and simply ride the profit margins.
Unfortunately there are not many winners in this entire fiasco. The only winners are those manufacturers with direct sales model and efficient manufacturing at mass scale, and Tesla is the best placed among them.
No. Automakers make their money too. They price their products (the wholesale price) for what they need to do to make money. Dealer markups, or shit even retail pricing, are simply a F you to the customer. If you think about it, Ford starting to sell all their cars straight to consumer at wholesale price would probably get Tesla in a pickle real fast.

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
That's almost 20 years of GM (the leaders!) EV production!
You know GM makes MILLIONS of cars every year right? 2k cars for GM is what they call a Monday.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:46 AM

Teslarati is at New York Post-levels of sensationalism. I've been seeing many owners on the forums and Reddit pages that refuse to even look at it anymore.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:55 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Any other auto company securing deals directly with raw materials mining companies to be sure they have the supply they need?

The following users liked this post:
Comfy (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 09:59 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
In moderate climates, heating is just a matter of comfort. In all other places where temperatures go well below 0ºC (32ºF), that feature means life or death. Many Tesla owners are complaining about the lack of heating with Model Y and Model 3 units. We spoke to two of them. The first was Mark, who prefers not to reveal his full name.

Tesla Owners Complain About Life-Threatening Heating Issues With Their EVs

This Tesla customer lives in Saskatchewan, Canada, but he picked up his Model Y in Calgary because his home state did not have a Tesla delivery location at the time. Trusting the EV maker’s promise that the Model Y would be the best Tesla ever in cold climates, Mark just enjoyed his electric crossover until winter said "hi."

“January 2021 came, and we had no heat in our cabin unless plugged in or standing still. The car was first towed mid-February to Saskatoon literally days after the opening of that location. After a four-week stay in the service center, we got our car back, having had a major rebuild of the heat pump system, replacing a part called the Super Manifold.”

The Super Manifold is one of the components that Sandy Munro was most impressed with when he and his team tore down a Model Y – that and the Octovalve. Both are part of the heat pump system that made the electric crossover more efficient. It seems nobody asked if it would also be more effective. In Mark’s case, it was not.

“The car seemed fixed, but the worst of winter was over by mid-March. To Tesla's credit, they paid for the tow from Estevan to Saskatoon and a rental for the entire time. However, Tesla does expect you to retrieve the vehicle at your own expense.”

When the weather got cold again, Mark had to schedule the regular maintenance and learned about the “need to replace the sensors in the heating system as part of a service bulletin.” This issue is reported by other Tesla owners on Twitter.

“This work was performed in the third week of December as the earliest I could travel the 450 kilometers (279.6 miles) to my service center. Everything seemed great for the first few days while we traveled for our Christmas holiday.”

Things got dangerous when Mark and his family tried to get back home.

“Driving between Moose Jaw and Regina at -30ºC (-22ºF), we experienced no heat in our cabin. I thought if we could make it to Regina – where the only tow company certified for Tesla is – so we'd call Roadside Assistance and get help again.”

Luckily, Mark and his family made it there, but the description of what they went through makes the word “luckily” gain a broader meaning.

“It was a very, very cold drive that only was made possible using hand and foot warmers and blankets. My family was in the car and my youngest – 9 years old – started to complain of stabbing pains in her feet. It was a horrible experience and one I have vowed never to replicate. The car was towed the next day (December 27) from where it was parked in Regina.”

The car was with the Saskatoon Tesla Service Center from December 31 until January 6. Mark lives far from it, so he asked a relative to pick up his car and drive it halfway to a family member’s house. The fact that this relative got there without issues made Mark confident: the Model Y owner thought it was finally and definitely fixed.

“Before my relative got the car back, it was cold-soaked overnight, unplugged at -30ºC. The technician heated it up fine the next morning. After he tested it, they pulled it inside the shop to charge for the trip home.”

Mark was informed that the Super Manifold was replaced for a second time, as well as the expansion valves and AC lines. A front louver was also fixed.

“I could not make it to pick up the car immediately due to a blizzard, so the car sat at the family member’s house plugged in outside for two nights on 110V, which was all that was available. On January 9, I drove my rental to go get my car after the storm cleared. We set the car to precondition and tried to follow all the recommendations sent out by Tesla.”

Mark’s happiness did not last for long.

“Five minutes before returning the rental car, my family member called me and said the 'no cabin heat' warning returned. My heart sunk. Luckily, I still had the rental, so we all met back at the house. I called roadside assistance once again to schedule another tow."

When we interviewed Mark, he was waiting for the tow truck and wishing Canada had a lemon law.

“I was informed late today the car will be getting another rebuild of the heat pump system. I have been informed even engineers have been working to figure out what is wrong with it. If that doesn't qualify it as a lemon, I don't know what does. All totaled, our Model Y has been in service now for 39 days and counting. Understandably, I am pretty much finished with this particular car.”

From being an EV advocate, the experience with the Model Y made Mark consider going back to ICE vehicles.

“I am no engineer or expert, but in my limited experience, it is my belief these cars have fundamental design flaws in terms of extremely cold climates. At a minimum, a backup resistive heating system should be included in cold-climate-destined cars to prevent the sort of life-threatening situations my family and I found ourselves in. Most traditional cars come with a ‘cold-climate package.’”

Mark is part of a big EV organization in Saskatchewan, and he knows more Tesla customers are having problems with the heat pump.

“Roughly a third to half of the people with Teslas containing heat pumps are experiencing some sort of issues ranging from minor to extreme like mine. Tesla should be issuing a public recall on this. Elon has been silent on the issue.”

One of these owners is Tyler Selvig. He bought his brand-new 2022 Tesla Model Y in November 2021 and took it from Saskatoon to Regina for the Christmas holidays without issues. On his way back and with his two kids – both under 3 years old – in the EV, he started the trip back on December 29. After 45 minutes, the heating systems stopped working.

Lucky was also on Selvig’s side. His father-in-law was following behind him with a truck. The Tesla owner put his son and his daughter inside the truck to keep them warm and called Tesla Service. He was warned that it was a widespread problem, which did not make him feel less frustrated. It was -40ºC (-40ºF).

In a tweet tagging Elon Musk and Tesla, Selvig said that the issue could have killed his family. He argued that if this is a known issue, Tesla should have warned him so that he did not put his family at risk.

“The car was in service at the Saskatoon dealer, and they were waiting for parts until the engineers at Tesla HQ told them to replace the Super Manifold. I got the car back, and it seems to be working great.”

Selvig did not hear about a technical service bulletin on the issue – as Mark did – but he added essential pieces to the puzzle. Apparently, the problems started after an OTA (over-the-air) update took place a while after his trip to Regina. This is why it would have only occurred on his way back home.

“The technicians here told me they hope there is a future fix to avoid this with software updates. It sounds like the intake valves/louvers for the heat pump can get frozen open and then potentially cause the valves in the Octovalve to fail.”

The problem is international. Lauri Orrainen, from Finland, tweeted that his Tesla Model 3 is still at a Service Center after three weeks with heat pump problems. The lack of chrome suggests it is part of the refreshed vehicles presented after October 2020, and the lack of badges implies it is a Standard Range Plus. In other words, Orrainen's car may have been made in China. We have tried to contact him to confirm the information but have not heard from him so far.

If you have had issues in cold weather with your Tesla, please get in touch to tell us more about what happened. So far, it seems that Tesla released a software update without properly testing it, but older problems such as the ones Mark had in January 2021 may reveal that the heat pump system was not tested enough to ensure it works at very low temperatures. Perhaps it is a mix of both things. Tesla may have shared information with you that may explain what is affecting many other owners apart from Mark and Selvig.

In Mark's case, the disappointment may mean he will not own a Tesla again – or any other electric car.

“We do love our Tesla for many reasons, but I am at my wit’s end. I am considering selling our car once given back to us from the service department and purchasing an internal combustion engine (ICE) car again.”

For a company that states it puts safety and "the mission" to make cars go electric above all else, this is a massive backfire. Proper testing prevents that regular customers face life-threatening risks such as freezing to death. Exposing them to that very possibility is not the best way to win their trust.
Tesla Owners Complain About Life-Threatening Heating Issues With Their EVs - autoevolution
Old 01-11-2022, 10:16 AM
Race Director

Following a successful introduction in China, Tesla has started to switch all Standard Range vehicles to using Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP) batteries. These are heavier and slightly less powerful, among other things, but they seem to shine in colder climates.
7 photo

Tesla began using the new chemistry a year ago for the base models built in China but later decided to extend the use of LFPs to all its base models sold throughout the world. Having a lower energy density, LFP batteries are only good for the base Standard Range models, at least for now. This goes well with their lower price, although Tesla inexplicably put a premium on their base model after switching to the new battery.

Of course, being new to the western markets, the LFP batteries are little known and a lot of people want to know how they hold both as range and as durability in the long run. The good news is coming from the coldest territories of Norway in Europe and it says the new battery is even better in sub-zero temperatures than the older NCA (lithium nickel-cobalt-aluminum oxide) battery it replaced.

YouTuber Kris Rifa wanted to find out just how good the new batteries are in the cold. Therefore he conducted a range test on the highway in Norway at temperatures ranging between -4°C and -7°C (25°F and 19°F). For those who keep count, regular Li-Ion batteries start to lose their efficiency in the cold, and not even LFPs have a good record in this regard.

But, alas, a Tesla Model 3 RWD featuring the new battery showed impressive results in the range test. The car started with a 99% state of charge and was driven over 237.8 km (147.7 miles) at an average speed of 112.7 kph (70 mph)/ It still had 19% battery at the end of the journey.

While this doesn’t sound impressive, it should be noted that the car has a 60 kWh battery, and this means a consumption rate of 18.8 kWh/100 km (3.30 miles/kWh). It’s the lowest yet compared to 12 other EVs Kris tested along the same route. This includes the Tesla Model 3 with an NCA battery, which managed 20.3kWh/100km (3.06 mi/kWh).

So there you have it, LFP batteries are even better than the previous NCA cells, at least when powering the Tesla Model 3. This is especially true when it comes to driving in the cold. Did we mention that LFP batteries can be charged to 100% without risking degradation? That is another bonus for longer trips, so it looks like the new chemistry is already a winner.
Tesla's New LFP Battery Truly Shines in Sub-Zero Temperatures, Looks Like a Winner - autoevolution
Old 01-11-2022, 10:25 AM
Ex-OEM King

Teslarati is at New York Post-levels of sensationalism. I've been seeing many owners on the forums and Reddit pages that refuse to even look at it anymore.
Owners like you and me or (wannabe) owners like scooter boy and comfortable?

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
Any other auto company securing deals directly with raw materials mining companies to be sure they have the supply they need?

https://twitter.com/vincent13031925/...29027074498566
Any evidence that they are not?

This issue is RAMPANT in MN. TONS of people reporting no heat problems. Thankfully I haven't had any but it seems that the alleged root cause is a software issue that can be resolved via OTA. We'll see what happens because this is legitimately dangerous. Haven't driven Tesla with the kiddo since these problems cropped up though it's thankfully warming back up into the 30's for the next week or so.
Old 01-11-2022, 01:16 PM
Team Owner

I would not call it a scam... Markup prices are a direct reaction to the market.. I have suggested everyone who wants to buy a car right now to wait and dont pay the inflated price.
But to be fair, the dealerships are just trying to survive, they still have hundreds of families mouths to feed with so little inventory to sell.

This is no different than the super expensive masks, hand sanitizer, fucking toilet papers that everyone paid a huge premium on in 2020... supply and demand...
Old 01-11-2022, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
I would not call it a scam... Markup prices are a direct reaction to the market.. I have suggested everyone who wants to buy a car right now to wait and dont pay the inflated price.

But to be fair, the dealerships are just trying to survive, they still have hundreds of families mouths to feed with so little inventory to sell.
Bullshit. They're doing juuuust fine. https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...evious-record/

And nearly 20k of them got a PPP loan in 2020 as well. https://www.federalpay.org/paycheck-...ew-car-dealers

There's supply and demand, and then there's price gouging.
Comfy (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 02:37 PM
My first Avatar....

Record profits on lowest number of units sold. Yeah, not just trying to survive.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:47 PM
Team Owner

Bullshit. They're doing juuuust fine. https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...evious-record/

And nearly 20k of them got a PPP loan in 2020 as well. https://www.federalpay.org/paycheck-...ew-car-dealers

There's supply and demand, and then there's price gouging.

Maybe. But the BMW dealer my friend is working for just laid off 30% of total employees...

There is a way to solve that... Dont BUY the car at the inflated price... but if people are willing to pay for it.. similar to Tesla is doing on a monthly basis and people are still OK with it.. Then it is what is .

Again that is not really that much different than what happened in 2020 with all the cleaning product... it still comes back to Supply and Demand.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:56 PM

Maybe. But the BMW dealer my friend is working for just laid off 30% of total employees...

There is a way to solve that... Dont BUY the car at the inflated price... but if people are willing to pay for it.. similar to Tesla is doing on a monthly basis and people are still OK with it.. Then it is what is .

Again that is not really that much different than what happened in 2020 with all the cleaning product... it still comes back to Supply and Demand.
What about those that are in the unfortunate situation of shopping for a new car because their previous car was totaled? They're at the mercy of these dealerships and likely won't be able to replace their car like-for-like.

And again, I don't think Tesla's model is it (especially with how often they raise prices), but dealerships serve no purpose other than making money for the owners.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:56 PM
Race Director

If you read our previous article about heating issues Tesla owners are facing in cold-weather regions, you know the complaints started around December 30. In a discussion on a Facebook group, a Tesla owner shared a discussion about that with the company. It reveals the EV maker knew about the situation for quite a while: at least since December 29.
11 photos

Sent on that day, the message reads as follows (the bold is on us):

“Greetings from Tesla. We are currently reviewing your heating concern and have confirmed this is a known firmware concern related to extreme cold climates. A fix is currently being developed by the software engineering team, and there is no ETA on the firmware version fix. Please keep your vehicle connected to WIFI so your Tesla can download the latest version as it becomes available.”

Tesla then asks this owner some questions:

“Can you confirm that your heating operation is intermittent, for example(,) the heat will come on then goes off but will eventually recover and work correctly, usually after parking the vehicle in a warmer area?"

Finally, the company gives that owner some recommendations about how to deal with the car while the issue is not solved.

“In addition, please set your Climate to "auto" (Auto button should be blue in full Auto mode) and only adjust the set temperature to your comfort level as this is the most efficient heating/cooling setting. If these are the symptoms please let us know, as an in-person service visit may not be required. Thank you.”

The owner responds that he had hard reset the car and that the system started working again, warning the company that a fix should be provided soon or “there will be a few deaths soon.” Tesla answers on December 30 that the issue was discovered "recently" and that future firmware updates currently under development should bring “improvements.” The company then adds some more suggestions to deal with the problem.

“Current mitigations are to precondition vehicle 30 min - 60 min prior to departure, use (the) recirculating air mode and use auto mode. Symptoms may still occur when driving in climates -15(º)C and below. If heat does not return please park (the) vehicle in a warmer location and allow (the) vehicle to warm up.”

Tesla then apologizes “for the inconvenience” and states that it closed the appointment this owner required because “an in-person service visit is not required.” This customer does not waste the opportunity to tell Tesla what other owners affected by the problem would probably want to say:

“How about telling people in cold climates about this issue before selling them a Tesla?”

This customer owns a Tesla Model 3 but knows that more Model Y units are involved with the problem, clearly connected to the use of a heat pump, the Super Manifold, and the Octovalve. In short, only Model 3 units that already have this system also have the heating problem.

It is not clear if Tesla warned NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) or Transport Canada about the situation. Since the EV maker does not talk to the press, we have just asked the safety organization and the Canadian ministry if they have received any warnings. We’ll update this article or write a new one depending on what they have to tell us.
Tesla Admits Firmware Issues Behind Heating Flaws, Gives Customer Instructions - autoevolution
Old 01-11-2022, 03:05 PM
Team Owner

What about those that are in the unfortunate situation of shopping for a new car because their previous car was totaled? They're at the mercy of these dealerships and likely won't be able to replace their car like-for-like.

And again, I don't think Tesla's model is it (especially with how often they raise prices), but dealerships serve no purpose other than making money for the owners.
There are ALWAYS solutions.

#1 they should have insurance. and they must get a car, buy something affordable for now and get something better later. I dont believe for 1 sec that they do not have choices other than paying 5k markup... at the end it is about what they want, not about what they need.
Then you gotta pay to play in 2021 when it comes to new cars.

If my car is totalled, i for 1 will NOT pay full MSRP or anything above MSRP for a M340i... I have 0 problem buying a $10k used car for now and drive it for a 2 years then buy another BMW when this BS passes through.

Again there are ALWAYS options.

If you dont like the dealership options and you dont like Tesla option, then what? You really think some Honest Manuf. would offer some "good deal" at no haggle price for everyone?

When the demand drops, the the dealerships would have no choice but to adjust their price per market condition. But if the demand is there, why would they lower their prices?

Last edited by oonowindoo; 01-11-2022 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:17 PM

The no haggle price from manufacturers is the price they sell to dealerships.

What purpose does a dealership serve? Honestly.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:22 PM
Team Owner

The no haggle price from manufacturers is the price they sell to dealerships.

What purpose does a dealership serve? Honestly.
Repairs? loaners? i personally have no problem not buying from the dealer IF i dont get ripped off by the manuf.
If BMW could offer me 13% off MSRP like what i got for my car, then fuck the dealers.
If BMW wants me to pay full MSRP, then the dealer did serve a purpose...
Old 01-11-2022, 03:25 PM
Ex-OEM King

They probably laid them off because they weren't needed, not because sales were down. When people are lining up at your door to place orders rather than buy off the lot, you don't need nearly as many people to deal with it.

Dealerships are as much of a scam as insurance companies. If an automaker does just fine making money on a car sold at wholesale, why not sell that at wholesale to everyone? It would immediately lower the price of new cars which is something I think we can all get behind.
Comfy (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 03:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
They probably laid them off because they weren't needed, not because sales were down. When people are lining up at your door to place orders rather than buy off the lot, you don't need nearly as many people to deal with it.

Dealerships are as much of a scam as insurance companies. If an automaker does just fine making money on a car sold at wholesale, why not sell that at wholesale to everyone? It would immediately lower the price of new cars which is something I think we can all get behind.
Well that would be great... now, how are we going to achieve that?

The only no haggle, manuf direct sales is Tesla.. and we have seen how they manipulate that business model. Not only they are not offering wholesale price, they have monthly price hikes...
Old 01-11-2022, 04:03 PM
Ex-OEM King

The only no haggle, manuf direct sales is Tesla.. and we have seen how they manipulate that business model. Not only they are not offering wholesale price, they have monthly price hikes...
Eliminate the NADA lobby.

If Tesla had dealers, the price would be even higher.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:05 PM
Team Owner

Good luck with that.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:12 PM
My first Avatar....

Who sells cars at wholesale?

if Tesla had dealers prices would be higher only if those dealers added markups like dealers are doing now. Tesla sells at their msrp, whatever that might be this week.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:15 PM
My first Avatar....

If there were no dealers does anyone believe manufacturers world be selling cars at the price they sell them to current dealers?

oonowindoo (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 04:28 PM
Team Owner

If there were no dealers does anyone believe manufacturers world be selling cars at the price they sell them to current dealers?
That is the part i am having difficulty believing. At least not with the greedy/selfish human i have seen.

When there are dealerships, they get their cars at invoice price (Dont ever believe in invoice prices, it is bullshit) + a % of holdback. Even without those, dealerships still get incentivized by selling BS warranties, higher interest rate and other upsell items. So if they wanted to, dealership could realistically sell you the car for less than what they got it for from the manuf. and still make $.
With manuf. direct. It is a take or leave it.. You dont like the price.. too bad.

At least with the dealership, I could get a decent discount from MSRP in a normal situation. What manuf. direct, how do i know if i am paying MSRP or discounted price or MSRP + Mark up?

I am just having difficulty believing that the manuf. would just pass all of those discount directly to buyers without dealerships...
If they dont pass those incentives to the end users, then why are they better?

Last edited by oonowindoo; 01-11-2022 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:32 PM
My first Avatar....

That is the part i am having difficulty believing. At least not with the greedy/selfish human i have seen.

When there are dealerships, they get their cars at invoice price (Dont ever believe in invoice prices, it is bullshit) + a % of holdback. Even without those, dealerships still get incentivized by selling BS warranties, higher interest rate and other upsell items. So if they wanted to, dealership could realistically sell you the car for less than what they got it for from the manuf. and still make $.
With manuf. direct. It is a take or leave it.. You dont like the price.. too bad.

At least with the dealership, I could get a decent discount from MSRP in a normal situation. What manuf. direct, how do i know if i am paying MSRP or discounted price or MSRP + Mark up?

I am just having difficulty believing that the manuf. would just pass all of those discount directly to buyers without dealerships...
If they dont pass those incentives to the end users, then why are they better?
There are 2 wars to be had at traditional dealerships. The "front end" of the deal, which is the agreed upon sales price of the vehicle. And the "back end" which occurs in the finance and insurance office of the dealership, this is where the warranties, extra insurances and interest rates are negotiated. What happens in the F&I office is designed for dealership profit, it has no bearing on the manufacturer.

You are correct however, the manufacturer will not sell a car direct to the end-user at the cost they sell their products to their dealership network.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:58 PM

Repairs? loaners? i personally have no problem not buying from the dealer IF i dont get ripped off by the manuf.
Tesla provides these at their showrooms/service locations, so that's not exclusive service to dealerships.

Again, I don't agree with the constant price hikes that Elon & Co toss at consumers. But I don't agree with the idea of dealerships either - they've never made my life easier or saved me money. They are all about the sale and maximizing profits. EVERYTHING at a dealership is marked up. Parts, service, interest rates, etc. They are middlemen - that's it.

That's where consumer protections would need to come in. But that's some far away utopia shit that will never happen in this country.

You are correct however, the manufacturer will not sell a car direct to the end-user at the cost they sell their products to their dealership network.
This I'm not too sure of. Manufacturers sell their vehicles to dealerships at x amount. Manufacturer made their money on the product - their deal is done and they don't have anymore skin in the game. The dealership adds y amount to the purchase price to make money for themselves - money that does not go to the manufacturer. Will prices rise slightly if manufacturers sold direct? Most likely. All of the support personnel would have to be hired (mechanics, service advisers, sales associates, titling/dmv people, etc). So that will obviously need to be paid for. The only reason manufacturers don't see direct in the states is because it's illegal. Not because they don't want to. NADA made it so.
Comfy (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 10:31 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Tesla provides these at their showrooms/service locations, so that's not exclusive service to dealerships.

Again, I don't agree with the constant price hikes that Elon & Co toss at consumers. But I don't agree with the idea of dealerships either - they've never made my life easier or saved me money. They are all about the sale and maximizing profits. EVERYTHING at a dealership is marked up. Parts, service, interest rates, etc. They are middlemen - that's it.

That's where consumer protections would need to come in. But that's some far away utopia shit that will never happen in this country.

This I'm not too sure of. Manufacturers sell their vehicles to dealerships at x amount. Manufacturer made their money on the product - their deal is done and they don't have anymore skin in the game. The dealership adds y amount to the purchase price to make money for themselves - money that does not go to the manufacturer. Will prices rise slightly if manufacturers sold direct? Most likely. All of the support personnel would have to be hired (mechanics, service advisers, sales associates, titling/dmv people, etc). So that will obviously need to be paid for. The only reason manufacturers don't see direct in the states is because it's illegal. Not because they don't want to. NADA made it so.
+1 on all points.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:54 PM
My first Avatar....

Dealerships start with the msrp of the vehicle. Then they have the mfgr. hold back based on the dealer floor plan, inventory, and age of the vehicle sitting on the lot. Beyond that...If a dealer sells a specified number of units in a month/quarter/year, the manufacturer gives, the dealer, incentives which can be significant. At THAT point the manufacturer is done, but this is really a perpetual cycle.

Dealerships notoriously add "documentation fees", which are usually regulated by each state. These doc fees are profits used to offset office personnel saleries etc.
The F&I office is where a killing is made on the back end of every deal...profits for the dealership.
Parts and service usually operate separately from the selling entity of the dealership. Yes everything in a Dealership is marked up grotesquely to keep the doors open.

Manufacturers will never sell directly to the public and if they did they would be married to the federally regulated Maroney stickers which must clearly display the Manufacturers msrp of a vehicle, including shipping.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:40 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

There’s no need to distinguish between the various types of financial agreements (holdbacks / incentives, etc) between manufacturers and dealerships, cause in the end if you average it out, it’s simply a sharing of profits between them. On an average a dealership adds about 20% to the price of a vehicle (Don’t look at individual cases where one person got more than 20% discount but majority of others didn’t). Now if the manufacturer were to sell directly, they’ll surely increase the prices somewhat compared to what they do for dealerships, but they have more room to play with regards to price wars for market share which eventually will benefit the consumers.
In my opinion there is no need for a mandatory middleman. Sure you can make it optional for those who prefer to buy it from dealerships so that they can be protected from the manufacturers (for a sizable fee of course). LOL.

Last edited by Comfy; 01-12-2022 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Comfy
+1 on all points.
Shit, Comfy is agreeing with me. Now I'm having an existential crisis.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:24 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Yeah … you must have said something wrong. I’ve been saying this all along. .

Quick Reply: Tesla: Development and Technology News