Hyundai: Genesis News

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Gotta give them credit. They are making a big name for them selves.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:53 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Hyundai FTW! (Korea FTW)
Old 06-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Hyundai's marketing dept is just badass!!!
Old 06-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow got to give it to hyundai.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Racer

Great!!!

Does anyone knows the music at the beginning of the video? Lovely music.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:43 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by chungkopi
that's why this is a brilliant marketing by Hyundai. it's a win-win for hyundai, but lose-lose for Mini.
Care to explain?

MINI wants to race a legendary car from a car company with a rich history of racing.....not a Hyundai.

This "me too", response ad by Hyundai comes off looking desparate.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:49 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,947 Likes on 1,447 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Care to explain?

MINI wants to race a legendary car from a car company with a rich history of racing.....not a Hyundai.

This "me too", response ad by Hyundai comes off looking desparate.
I kinda agree... when I first read that Hyundai put themselves up for the challenge, I thought they wanted to race Porsche... NOT Mini
Old 06-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with Hyundai saying, "I'll be your huckleberry ..."

I was surprised not to see any Genesis coupes out on the track last weekend. I think that Hyundai needs to think about starting a SCCA/Whatever racing program.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:54 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Originally Posted by charliemike

I was surprised not to see any Genesis coupes out on the track last weekend. I think that Hyundai needs to think about starting a SCCA/Whatever racing program.
Absolutely. There isn't ANY desperation on the part of Hyundai. I don't know how anyone can think that?

If you're a heavyweight, and a featherweight challenges you, would you feel confident? The answer should be an obvious "yes".

Since MINI has been around longer, and tauts driving excitement and performance, they shouldn't even flinch at Hyundai's challenge...unless they're scared and unconfident.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:48 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Business cases aside, I think it may be clear now the Hyundai would've had their lunch eaten, not that many of us didn't already figure that.

The 385 horsepower 911 beat the Mini by two seconds, and the Porsche's braking, accelerating, and cornering abilities all FAR exceed the Hyundai's.

That suggests .....
Old 06-23-2010, 01:51 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

^
This is stately the obvious. I'm curious to see Hyundai vs. Mini.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:20 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by charliemike

Sure there is nothing wrong with Hyundai saying "I'll be your huckleberry ..."

.....but it makes Hyundai look foolish...and really does nothing for the Genesis.

MINI wanted to be able to say we beat Porsche!....yea Porsche that legendary car company with a history of racing achievement....and the legendary 911.....

MINI could care less about beating a Hyundai....that does nothing for MINI.
Nobody would care if MINI beat a Hyundai Genesis....that would not sell more MINI's or give MINI more prestige.....but beating a Porsche....now that indeed would.

...and if Hyundai got their "me too" way with MINI, and beat them....although that wasn't going to happen either way, what would that have done for the Genesis? Hey look at us we beat a MINI?!?!?!? Is that really what Hyundai was looking for?

It's a bad marketing move by Hyundai.

However if Hyundai challendged Porsche....that would be a whole other story indeed.

It's all about image and prestige.....you would think Hyundai would know this by now......they have been spending years now trying to fix that for their brand.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Sure there is nothing wrong with Hyundai saying "I'll be your huckleberry ..."

.....but it makes Hyundai look foolish...and really does nothing for the Genesis.

MINI wanted to be able to say we beat Porsche!....yea Porsche that legendary car company with a history of racing achievement....and the legendary 911.....

MINI could care less about beating a Hyundai....that does nothing for MINI.
Nobody would care if MINI beat a Hyundai Genesis....that would not sell more MINI's or give MINI more prestige.....but beating a Porsche....now that indeed would.

...and if Hyundai got their "me too" way with MINI, and beat them....although that wasn't going to happen either way, what would that have done for the Genesis? Hey look at us we beat a MINI?!?!?!? Is that really what Hyundai was looking for?

It's a bad marketing move by Hyundai.

However if Hyundai challendged Porsche....that would be a whole other story indeed.

It's all about image and prestige.....you would think Hyundai would know this by now......they have been spending years now trying to fix that for their brand.
Yea, but look at it from the other side. Hyundai is trying to make a name for themselves the same way Mini is. Same argument could be said for Porsche. It would do nothing for Porsche to come out and say "Hey, we beat a Mini" It was a challenge by Mini and Porsche didnt respond, Hyundai came in there saying hell, if your willing to call out Porsche lets get our name in there as well. Its great marketing for them.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:40 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Old 06-23-2010, 10:41 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Yea, but look at it from the other side. Hyundai is trying to make a name for themselves the same way Mini is. Same argument could be said for Porsche. It would do nothing for Porsche to come out and say "Hey, we beat a Mini" It was a challenge by Mini and Porsche didnt respond, Hyundai came in there saying hell, if your willing to call out Porsche lets get our name in there as well. Its great marketing for them.
Nope....your missing the point of the difference between challenging MINI versus challenging Porsche. There is a HUGE difference.

MINI already has a name for itself. Nobody doubts their insane go-kart handling ability, and their ability to race. MINI just wanted to take on another giant.....ala David v Goliath.

MINI beating Porsche.....

Hyundai beating MINI........

Hyundai beating Porsche

See the difference?
Old 06-23-2010, 10:45 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

MINI=Established.
Hyundai=Not yet established.

Hyundai challenges MINI. Logical, IMHO?
Old 06-23-2010, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Nope....your missing the point of the difference between challenging MINI versus challenging Porsche. There is a HUGE difference.

MINI already has a name for itself. Nobody doubts their insane go-kart handling ability, and their ability to race. MINI just wanted to take on another giant.....ala David v Goliath.

MINI beating Porsche.....

Hyundai beating MINI........

Hyundai beating Porsche

See the difference?
No i didnt miss the point, just wanted you too look at it the same way from porsches view as you are from mini vs hyundai.

Hyundai took the chance to say, ok, you are brash enough to take on Porsche, succeed or not we want to be thrown into this mix. If you have enough to take on them so do we to you.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:17 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

No i didnt miss the point, just wanted you too look at it the same way from porsches view as you are from mini vs hyundai.

Hyundai took the chance to say, ok, you are brash enough to take on Porsche, succeed or not we want to be thrown into this mix. If you have enough to take on them so do we to you.
That's not the point.

Ford beating MINI...meh

Chevy beating MINI....meh

Honda beating MINI....meh

Nissan beating MINI...meh

Hyundai beating MINI...meh

Nobody really cares if you beat MINI.

ANY of the above beating Porsche....THAT is something to brag about.

Porsche is the key in all of this who beating who and who challenging who.

Porsche is the brass ring everyone wants.

It's all about perceived image.....and Porsche has that image.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
^ certainly you don't care if hyundai beats MINI

doesn't mean everyone else doesn't
Old 06-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Senior Moderator

That's not the point.

Ford beating MINI...meh

Chevy beating MINI....meh

Honda beating MINI....meh

Nissan beating MINI...meh

Hyundai beating MINI...meh

Nobody really cares if you beat MINI.

ANY of the above beating Porsche....THAT is something to brag about.

Porsche is the key in all of this who beating who and who challenging who.

Porsche is the brass ring everyone wants.

It's all about perceived image.....and Porsche has that image.
Perceived image. You dont get there by never winning. You have to start out somewhere. You dont start out with prestige, you earn it. So Mini called out Porsche, they decline, Hyundai calls out Mini. They are starting out somewhere,It happens to be with the SAME company that had the gull to ask the might giant porsche to a challenge. Hyundai may not be any where near them now, and they most likely will never be in that league, but at the rate they are going even porsche at some point will have to take note of what they are accomplishing and the vehicles they have out competing with them.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:32 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by yohan81718
^ certainly you don't care if hyundai beats MINI

doesn't mean everyone else doesn't
Let's put it this way...MOST people would not care.

Sure there are a few enthusiasts that this challenge might peek their interest.

...but on the whole, beating (if they could) MINI is

....beating Porsche...now that would get everyone on notice.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:34 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Perceived image. You dont get there by never winning. You have to start out somewhere. You dont start out with prestige, you earn it. So Mini called out Porsche, they decline, Hyundai calls out Mini. They are starting out somewhere,It happens to be with the SAME company that had the gull to ask the might giant porsche to a challenge. Hyundai may not be any where near them now, and they most likely will never be in that league, but at the rate they are going even porsche at some point will have to take note of what they are accomplishing and the vehicles they have out competing with them.
...but going after MINI accomplishes little if any buzz.

Now if they went after Porsche (like MINI did) that would create the buzz Hyundai was looking for....instead they look like "me too".
Old 06-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Let's put it this way...MOST people would not care.

Sure there are a few enthusiasts that this challenge might peek their interest.

...but on the whole, beating (if they could) MINI is

....beating Porsche...now that would get everyone on notice.
i think the opposite is true
a lot of enthusiasts wouldn't care, like yourself, if hyundai beats MINI
majority of others, who thinks hyundai is still crap, at least would think hyundai is stepping up slowly (yes not a HUGE acheivement, but still some)

same for the beating porsche
only car enthusiasts would care
my gf wouldn't care, my parents wouldn't care, my friends who are not into any cars would not care
they would just go wow hyundai, and that's about it
Old 06-23-2010, 02:32 PM
I love me some Curry...!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
"Anything you can do, I can do better" might be playing on the loudspeakers in Korea right now, as Hyundai is apparently set to introduce a bored out version of the formerly 4.6-liter Tau V8 for action in the Genesis Sedan and Equus. More interestingly, this new 5.0 may do duty in the Genesis Coupe as well. This new 5.0-liter V8 was mentioned during a media event at Hyundai R&D and if the claimed numbers are legit, this Mustang-challenger will produce a few more ponies than the Blue Oval bruiser. Where Ford is getting 412 horsepower from its five-point-oh in the 2011 Mustang, Hyundai says its 5.0-liter V8 will be packing 429 hp when it reaches production.

No official word from the South Korean automaker yet, but this new direct-injection 5.0 in sure to be fitted to the Genesis Sedan for 2011, reportedly backed by a new eight-speed automatic transmission developed by Hyundai. Chances are it will eventually find its way under the hood of the Genesis Coupe, possibly backed by a proper stick. Hyundai is apparently launching the Equus with the 4.6-liter Tau, but the new flagship sedan will get the upgraded mill soon after, right about the time the upgraded 2011 Genesis Sedan appears. The output figures being reported are 429 hp at 6,500 rpm and 376 pound-feet of torque at 5,000 rpm, with an 11.5:1 compression ratio – a healthy jump above the 385 hp, 333 ft-lb for the 4.6 liter V8 currently found in the Genesis Sedan.

If the 5.0 does show up in the Coupe, we will definitely have to revisit our comparison test subjects from last month. These arms races can start so innocently, but never end well, so don't be surprised to see Ford's 5.0 get a bump if this comes to fruition.
<!-- /col-2 --><!-- /col-2 -->
Old 06-23-2010, 02:33 PM
I love me some Curry...!

Old 06-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh thanks. I had forgotten what the Genesis Coupe looked like and needed a reminder.

:P
Old 06-23-2010, 03:08 PM
hail to the victors

dayum. gen coupe v8 sounds awesome. price it 30-35k and i'll buy it in a heart beat.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,859 Likes on 14,004 Posts
Originally Posted by wassystyle
"Anything you can do, I can do better" might be playing on the loudspeakers in Korea right now, as Hyundai is apparently set to introduce a bored out version of the formerly 4.6-liter Tau V8 for action in the Genesis Sedan and Equus. More interestingly, this new 5.0 may do duty in the Genesis Coupe as well. This new 5.0-liter V8 was mentioned during a media event at Hyundai R&D and if the claimed numbers are legit, this Mustang-challenger will produce a few more ponies than the Blue Oval bruiser. Where Ford is getting 412 horsepower from its five-point-oh in the 2011 Mustang, Hyundai says its 5.0-liter V8 will be packing 429 hp when it reaches production.

No official word from the South Korean automaker yet, but this new direct-injection 5.0 in sure to be fitted to the Genesis Sedan for 2011, reportedly backed by a new eight-speed automatic transmission developed by Hyundai. Chances are it will eventually find its way under the hood of the Genesis Coupe, possibly backed by a proper stick. Hyundai is apparently launching the Equus with the 4.6-liter Tau, but the new flagship sedan will get the upgraded mill soon after, right about the time the upgraded 2011 Genesis Sedan appears. The output figures being reported are 429 hp at 6,500 rpm and 376 pound-feet of torque at 5,000 rpm, with an 11.5:1 compression ratio – a healthy jump above the 385 hp, 333 ft-lb for the 4.6 liter V8 currently found in the Genesis Sedan.

If the 5.0 does show up in the Coupe, we will definitely have to revisit our comparison test subjects from last month. These arms races can start so innocently, but never end well, so don't be surprised to see Ford's 5.0 get a bump if this comes to fruition.
<!-- /col-2 --><!-- /col-2 -->
Dude...can you please post the link of the articles?
Old 06-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,859 Likes on 14,004 Posts
Link to the 5.0 Genesis here: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/23/h...29-horsepower/
Old 06-23-2010, 03:10 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by yohan81718
i think the opposite is true
a lot of enthusiasts wouldn't care, like yourself, if hyundai beats MINI
majority of others, who thinks hyundai is still crap, at least would think hyundai is stepping up slowly (yes not a HUGE acheivement, but still some)

same for the beating porsche
only car enthusiasts would care
my gf wouldn't care, my parents wouldn't care, my friends who are not into any cars would not care
they would just go wow hyundai, and that's about it

Seriously now......
Even the most casual car shopper would be very interested to know that the Genesis could beat a Porsche.

If hyundai could splash that kind of media up on dealership walls and on the backs of magazines, and in commmercials....people would take notice...even the casual ones.

Why? Because it's Porsche...and EVERYONE knows Porsche, and knows they build sportscars, supercars, racecars....a premium brand with a racing heritage.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Sensational journalism by Autoblog. Read it for entertainment, not factual data.

Even AutoGuide looked in Autoblog's direction and said it was someone's pipe dream of seeing a 5.0 badge on the Coupe that generated that article/rumor.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Senior Moderator

^ though you have to admit it would be awesome and make the car a true challenger and something to be scared about if you were a Blue Oval,GM, or G37 fan. I think Hyundai needs to do it.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Dragging knees in

^ though you have to admit it would be awesome and make the car a true challenger and something to be scared about if you were a Blue Oval,GM, or G37 fan. I think Hyundai needs to do it.
Dude, if I can pick up a 5.0L V8 Genesis Coupe today, I will sign on the dotted line RIGHT NOW.

429hp V8... drool.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:08 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Dude, if I can pick up a 5.0L V8 Genesis Coupe today, I will sign on the dotted line RIGHT NOW.

429hp V8... drool.
Go buy a Mustang

Old 06-23-2010, 04:15 PM
I love me some Curry...!

Originally Posted by Yumcha

Old 06-23-2010, 04:18 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by S A CHO
Go buy a Mustang

The man has a point.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by S A CHO
Go buy a Mustang

I don't want a chick car.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline

429hp V8... drool.
I bet many others would too.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:19 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Go Hyundai!
Old 06-23-2010, 05:24 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^

Quick Reply: Hyundai: Genesis News