AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/)
-   -   Hyundai: Genesis News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/hyundai-genesis-news-384818/)

gavriil 10-01-2005 02:21 PM

Hyundai: Genesis News

MT mag is reporting that just like with the Dynasty-based luxury sedan, Huyndai is developing an even larger RWD sedan to compete with the likes of the 7 series and S-Class, based on the same BH platform. There are two available engines, a 3.8L V6 and a possible 4.5L V8 co-developed with Mitsubishi. This Eqque-based sedan is expected a year after the Dynasty-based sedan makes its debut, that is, in 2008 as a 2009 model.

biker 10-01-2005 04:20 PM

If VW can't sell a 70K sedan what makes Hyundai think it can?

Even Acura has a tough time selling an RL for 45K - I don't see Hyundai selling anything (in the next 5 years), I don't care how nice it is (even if they come up with some different brand for their luxury arm), in the 40K and up market.

TSX69 10-01-2005 06:40 PM

Hyundai AND Mitsubishi

Now there is a winning combo :thumbsup:

chungkopi 10-01-2005 07:40 PM

it's gonna be their luxury brand. sooner or later you have to introduce a luxury brand to play with big boys.

anyway it should be priced around 50K. that's signifantly cheaper than any other brands.

and by year 2008 or 2009, people's perception of hyundai should change alot. people will no longer think hyundai as an inferior brand.

heyitsme 10-01-2005 07:44 PM

If its hot enough, it will sell, ala 300c.

charliemike 10-01-2005 08:24 PM

Anyone that says that they wouldn't buy a $50k Hyundai wouldn't buy a $20k Hyundai ... They're more concerned with status and image.

If a $50k Hyundai is as good (build quality, materials, execution) as a $60k BMW why WOULDN'T you buy it?

gavriil 10-01-2005 08:41 PM

It's not clear yet but it is possible for Hyundai to spawn a new, luxury, name.

SpeedyV6 10-01-2005 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by charliemike
Anyone that says that they wouldn't buy a $50k Hyundai wouldn't buy a $20k Hyundai ... They're more concerned with status and image.

If a $50k Hyundai is as good (build quality, materials, execution) as a $60k BMW why WOULDN'T you buy it?

I agree, but I think a lot of luxury car buyers are like that.

unlemming 10-01-2005 09:36 PM

Will the luxury brand of Hyundai be a play on word and confuse people into thinking it's an Acura? :D Akurai?

DownUnder 10-01-2005 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by charliemike

Mainly one reason IMO people wouldn't buy a $50K Hyundai would be that the resale value would likely be very poor i.e. VW Phaeton. The only way that it could possibly overcome that hurdle is that it would have to prove itself to be a leader in its class in almost everyway.

MSZ 10-01-2005 10:08 PM

Yeeeeeeeeea right Hyundai, your 4.5L V8 makes only 276ps.

I believe one of the reason why RL doesn't sell(besides the brand image) is lack of horsepower(ala optional V8 engine).

unlemming 10-01-2005 10:14 PM

:ugh: RL lacks torque, not ponies :)

heyitsme 10-01-2005 10:23 PM

I don't think theres anyway Hyundai would start at 50k, think the car will be positioned just above the azera, maybe a high 20k car.

MSZ 10-01-2005 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by unlemming
:ugh: RL lacks torque, not ponies :)

Sorry, 290hp(new SAE set) to move its 1800kg body just doesn't cut it. As much as I like the RL I think the V6 is weak.

charliemike 10-01-2005 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by DownUnder
Mainly one reason IMO people wouldn't buy a $50K Hyundai would be that the resale value would likely be very poor i.e. VW Phaeton. The only way that it could possibly overcome that hurdle is that it would have to prove itself to be a leader in its class in almost everyway.

Admittedly, four days and about 500 miles isn't a long-term test (good enough for most car mags though) but if people don't take Hyundai seriously it's purely ignorance at this point.

Hyundai is definitely better than most of GM at this point.

charliemike 10-01-2005 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by heyitsme
I don't think theres anyway Hyundai would start at 50k, think the car will be positioned just above the azera, maybe a high 20k car.

I was using that number because it was used in a prior post.

Eventually, that's where Hyundai wants to go. Tons of profit at that level.

titan 10-03-2005 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by gavriil
It's not clear yet but it is possible for Hyundai to spawn a new, luxury, name.

That was my question. I thought Hyundai was pretty far along with developing an independent lux sales channel in the for the U.S. market that's seperate from Hyundai and Kia. That's the only way these cars have a chance of really competing in the big leagues.

gavriil 10-03-2005 09:46 AM

^ Apparently there seems to be a huge debate internally within Huyndai about that.

titan 10-03-2005 11:01 AM

^ Well, I'll tell ya... I know it takes a ton of money to create a new sales channel and dealership network out of the thin blue sky, but that's what's gonna be need if Hyundai hopes to be successful with this. I don't doubt they can make a competent RWD lux sedan, but it needs to have no clear ties brand wise with Hyundai. In this brand conscience market, it's suicide, IMHO.

Pure Adrenaline 10-05-2005 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by titan
^ Well, I'll tell ya... I know it takes a ton of money to create a new sales channel and dealership network out of the thin blue sky, but that's what's gonna be need if Hyundai hopes to be successful with this. I don't doubt they can make a competent RWD lux sedan, but it needs to have no clear ties brand wise with Hyundai. In this brand conscience market, it's suicide, IMHO.

And I suppose potential Lexus and Toyota customers turned around when they realized Scion was a part of the group?

I doubt their strategy will be to steal customers away from other luxury brands such as Lexus, Acura, etc. Hyundai will be luring current customers into the showroom of their luxury brand, to make them upgrade. And these will be people who are currently satisfied Hyundai customers looking to move up to the luxury segment.

Hyundai wants at least 3 models in order to launch a new brand. So far, they haven't reached a decision yet. But it's not a question of whether they will do it or not; rather, more of when they will do it. Sooner or later, it's gonna happen.

titan 10-05-2005 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
And I suppose potential Lexus and Toyota customers turned around when they realized Scion was a part of the group?

Hyundai's reputation is still far, far from Toyota. Also, Toyota to Scion is much different than Hyundai to Potential lux brand, because it would be a lux brand. You treat it differently a youth oriented, inexpensive brand of small cars. BTW, I still run into alot of people who don't know that Lexus is Toyota, Infinit is Nissan, etc.

TLuscious 10-13-2005 02:21 PM

Give me a break Hyundai is crap and you all know it!

titan 10-13-2005 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by TLuscious

Lol, not anymore.

Moog-Type-S 10-13-2005 04:02 PM

Welcome to 2005....Hyundai has changed.

sipark 10-13-2005 04:09 PM

:pofl:

:whyme:

Yumcha 10-13-2005 04:09 PM

Not anymore...Them Koreans are coming! :run:

Moog-Type-S 10-13-2005 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Not anymore...Them Koreans are coming! :run:

Hide your dogs :tomato:

AsianRage 10-13-2005 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Hide your dogs :tomato:

Don't forget your cats too :tongue:

Anyways, the Koreans have risen above their infamous past, but their derivative stylings/Korean-ness will prevent me from ever buying a car from them.

TLuscious 10-14-2005 06:47 AM

Sorry to all who are in denial, but Hyundai is junk that needs to be tossed at 100k. If any of you actually buy one its because you cant afford a HONDA!!!

RWalker2 10-14-2005 07:38 AM

Sorry to all who are in denial, but Hyundai is junk that needs to be tossed at 100k. If any of you actually buy one its because you cant afford a HONDA!!!

Wow, thats a completely ignorant statement.

titan 10-14-2005 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by RWalker2
Wow, thats a completely ignorant statement.

Agreed. :whyme:

Moog-Type-S 10-14-2005 10:14 AM

Troll.

S14 n Tsx 10-14-2005 05:05 PM

YOU SERIOUSLY ARE THE DUMBEST EVER. It's like this...when it comes to TV which brand you think of the most?? SONY right!! but sony isn't the number one selling or the best maded TV's anymore. Samething goes to cars. You think that hyundai suck but when you DO research on the car. They are well made car. Honda and Toyota came to U.S. roughly 40-50 years ago (?) but hyundai is still fairly new this country. If you actually look in Korea, they alreayd have made luxury car past 10 years so. If you can't backup your argument then just STFU!

Loseit 10-14-2005 06:05 PM

they used to say that about honda long, long time ago, too

titan 10-14-2005 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
YOU SERIOUSLY ARE THE DUMBEST EVER. It's like this...when it comes to TV which brand you think of the most?? SONY right!! but sony isn't the number one selling or the best maded TV's anymore. Samething goes to cars. You think that hyundai suck but when you DO research on the car. They are well made car. Honda and Toyota came to U.S. roughly 40-50 years ago (?) but hyundai is still fairly new this country. If you actually look in Korea, they alreayd have made luxury car past 10 years so. If you can't backup your argument then just STFU!

You're right. Hehehe, come to think of it, my favorite tv brand is Samsung (Korean). :thumbsup:

unlemming 10-14-2005 08:30 PM

What about Mitsubishi and Toshiba...rather have them than Sony anyday.

phile 10-14-2005 09:54 PM

Sorry, not a fair comparison. I have a Samsung cellphone, so I'm no outsider looking in. I think it's an excellent phone, price was fair and a whole lot more substance than my Nokia. But like I said in a previous thread when someone brought this same argument up, just because the Koreans are good at one industry does not necessarily make them good in another. I wouldn't put much trust in a Hyundai simply because my Samsung cell proved to be reliable. For one thing, Samsung is first and forecost an electronics company - cellphones being under their umbrella. Hyundai, they're first make oil tankers.

Ken1997TL 10-14-2005 11:28 PM

Hyundai has made dramatic progress in the past 10 years. I'd buy a Hyundai over most GM vehicles, ALL Dodge and some Fords for example.

And for the price, they are very competitive.

nahooneyya 10-15-2005 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by AsianRage
Don't forget your cats too :tongue:

Anyways, the Koreans have risen above their infamous past, but their derivative stylings/Korean-ness will prevent me from ever buying a car from them.

i never heard of Koreans eating cats.. :whyme:

and about the korean ppl eating dog thing...just wanted you guys to know..that not all koreans eat dog! korea has many animal lovers! :toocool:

aaronnn 10-15-2005 12:49 AM

this whole thing about us koreans and eating dogs are ridiculous. but if you guys want to live off of lame stereotypes, suit youerselves.

i am korean, but im also not being biased. i used to drive a daewoo too and that proved to be a nice car too, til GM bought it off. i also have driven the elantra gt, sonata, and the XG350 (family members' cars). from the oldest car being the 94 or 95 sonata to the latast one, 2004 XG, i would have to say that hyundai has come a long way and definitly upped their game. and yes i do know that the XG is mcuh more upscale compared to the sonata, but just generally speaking, there has definitly been improvements.

imean check out the new sonata. bigger, faster, and has a long list of standard options all included compared to its competitors in its class.. (with the exception of the 3.5SE(R) Altima for faster). i think its an awesome bargain of a car!

right now their line up seems to be dramatically improving as these years go by. definitly the most improved car company in the last 10 years.

i still dont think i would want one over any of the acuras though. haha i love the acura line up too much to get a hyundai