Hyundai: Genesis News

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 07:15 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
5.9 seconds to 60 for the Genesis, that's a little slower than what MotorTrend got. But this is where it gets weird - the V6 GS here posted a 5.7 run to 60. MotorTrend tested the 4.6L V8 version of the Lexus and got 5.9 - same as the V8 Genesis here.
Which GS was that, the GS430? I believe the GS350 made nearly as much/more power than the GS430 did (but with less torque), thats why they dropped the 4.3 and instead gave it the non-DI version of the 4.6 from the LS460, thus the name GS460. The GS430 was probably a bit heavier than the GS350.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
^ it was the GS460, with the LS's monster V8. I think MotorTrend was definitely doing something wrong cause if the V6 Lexus in the Edmunds test can outrun the V8 Genesis, there's no way the V8 Lexus is slower.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:03 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizouse
i thought koreans were from Torrance
Fullerton
Old 08-23-2008, 11:00 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 842 Likes on 524 Posts
Here is a road test from C&D:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._4_6_road_test

Summary:
Highs: Plenty of smooth V-8 power, smooth tranny, smooth ride, elegant interior.

Lows: Haven’t-I-seen-you-before styling, mulish understeer, numb steering.

The Verdict: A posh new luxo cruiser at a friendly price; thrill seekers, seek elsewhere.

From the review, the Genesis isn't really a sports luxury sedan. 0.83g, understeer, numb steering, creamy smooth and quiet ride all suggest it's a "luxury cruiser."
Old 08-24-2008, 01:56 AM

^yup, I think its perfect as a GS competitor. Ultra nice inside, and absolutely not the car for me. I don't even see myself driving the Genesis sedan or the GS at age 50, but to each his own.

The Genesis coupe on the other hand.... hope still exists!
Old 08-24-2008, 01:59 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I liked the Genesis sedan, but could only see my grandparents buying one. Not for me....
Old 08-24-2008, 02:08 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
^yup, I think its perfect as a GS competitor. Ultra nice inside, and absolutely not the car for me. I don't even see myself driving the Genesis sedan or the GS at age 50, but to each his own.

The Genesis coupe on the other hand.... hope still exists!
lol the Genesis coupe looks like a completely different car...like....it looks so much younger.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:12 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,947 Likes on 1,447 Posts
5 stars all around: Hyundai Genesis aces NHTSA crash tests

Hyundai's all-new Genesis sedan made yet another smashing impression as it pulled-off perfect 5-star ratings in recent U.S. government testing conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The Korean luxury vehicle was sent into a fixed barrier at 35 mph with two crash dummies strapped inside. Once the dust settled, instruments revealed both front seat passengers would have had less than a 10 percent chance of injury -- results earning 5-star ratings. Front and rear seat side impact testing revealed a low probability of injury as well, also earning the car 5-star ratings. In NHTSA rollover testing, the Genesis exhibited less than a 10 percent chance of rollover, again placing it among the top performers in that category. The admirable crash test scores earned by Hyundai's first venture into the luxury segment are sure to give the competition even more sleepless nights, especially considering all that luxury and safety starts at just $33,000.
%Gallery-26273%
[Source: Hyundai, Safercar.gov]

PRESS RELEASE

2009 HYUNDAI GENESIS DELIVERS NHTSA FIVE-STAR SAFETY RATINGS

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., 08/27/2008 The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) awarded five-star crash test ratings, the highest government rankings under the agency's New Car Assessment Program, to the all-new 2009 Hyundai Genesis for both frontal and side-impact crash tests.
"Genesis was engineered with a lightweight but strong body shell, featuring ultra-high tensile steel, laser welding, and advanced adhesive bonding," said John Krafcik, vice president of Strategic Planning and Product Development, Hyundai Motor America. "Add eight airbags and electronic active head restraints and you can see the focus we placed on designing Genesis for occupant safety. These five-star results are just one indication of the dedication Hyundai engineers place on safety."

Maintaining Hyundai's emphasis on delivering leading safety technology, Genesis boasts world-class active and passive safety features that both prevent accidents and maximize the well-being of its occupants in the event of a collision. The Genesis continues the Hyundai tradition of standardizing key life-saving safety technology, with features such as Electronic Stability Control (ESC), eight airbags and electronic active head restraints.

ESC compares the driver's intended course with the vehicle's actual response. It then brakes individual front or rear wheels and/or reduces engine power as needed in certain driving circumstances to help correct understeer or oversteer.

Genesis' eight airbags include advanced dual front airbags, front and rear seat-mounted side-impact airbags, and roof-mounted side curtain airbags for both front and rear outboard seat occupants.

Hyundai is the first popular brand to offer electronic active front head restraints, a standard feature on the 2009 Genesis, which are an improvement over mechanically-based active head restraint systems. Until now, electronic active head restraints could only be found on select Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Lexus models. Active front head restraints have been proven by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety to help prevent whiplash.

Genesis is brought to a halt by large four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes with Brake Assist and Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD). The V6 models feature 12.6-inch front rotors with single-piston floating calipers, while the V8 models feature 13-inch front rotors with four-piston calipers. All models are equipped with 12.4-inch rear rotors.

HYUNDAI MOTOR AMERICA

Hyundai Motor America, headquartered in Fountain Valley, Calif., is a subsidiary of Hyundai Motor Co. of Korea. Hyundai vehicles are distributed throughout the United States by Hyundai Motor America and are sold and serviced through 800 dealerships nationwide.

NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION

NHTSA is dedicated to achieving the highest standards of excellence in motor vehicle and highway safety. The agency strives to exceed the expectations of its customers through its core values of Integrity, Service and Leadership. NHTSA provides leadership to the motor vehicle and highway safety community through the development of innovative approaches to reducing motor vehicle crashes and injuries.
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/28/5...a-crash-tests/
Old 08-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
I saw a black Genesis that was pulling in my street during a test drive and my mom said it looked like a MB, which is good Hyundai succeeded in creating an overall upscale luxury feel for the car.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
Wow. I would buy that Hyundai. I would never have thought I'd be saying that. Great work from the Koreans.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:55 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hyundai is doing a good job going after Lexus. There is a market for such buyers - who want the value, size, and not too concerned about prestige. Acura better watch out a bit, if its offerings continue to be on the less sporty side.

Creating a sports sedan isn't easy. Not many can get that right balance of sport and good ride.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:36 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Not sure which sports sedan you are referring to, but the Genesis is definitely not one, at least according to C&D.

Here is a road test from C&D:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._4_6_road_test

Summary:
Highs: Plenty of smooth V-8 power, smooth tranny, smooth ride, elegant interior.

Lows: Haven’t-I-seen-you-before styling, mulish understeer, numb steering.

The Verdict: A posh new luxo cruiser at a friendly price; thrill seekers, seek elsewhere.

Acura not sporty? Not too sure about that..here are some quotes..

TSX, "Why can’t all manuals be this pleasing? Or all sedans this much fun? "

"Yet, few four-doors have helms as responsive or suspensions as composed and light of step. The adrenaline drip can start anywhere: a well-known off-ramp, on a long driveway, by apexing those three fast bends between the VFW and the fire station where there are no intersections and no hideouts for radar jockeys. Mountain switchbacks are lovely in magazine photo spreads but unnecessary in the TSX. With fast steering, firm brakes, and tight body control, it frolics just fine in the town where you live. "

The new TL, still waiting for more road tests to come, but as we all know the 3g TL-S is a great track machine compared to its RWD competitors.

MDX, "The MDX delivers a high fun-to-drive quotient, better than that of most other vehicles in the mid-size, mid-luxury SUV class. "

Not to mention the MDX was tuned at the Nurburgring..sounds sporty enough for me for a SUV.

RDX, "The steering is light and sharp, with right-now turn-in, and you always know what the front tires are up to. On our handling loop, the RDX exhibited no uncontrolled body motions and was more solidly planted in turns than many automobiles. It summoned the greatest skidpad grip and the highest speed through our emergency-lane-change test. And although its transmission offers only five selections, the manumatic paddles behind the steering wheel functioned so instantly and intuitively that we batted at them constantly, as if playing Ping-Pong.

Then there's the Super Handling All-Wheel Drive, which routes power to the outside rear wheel in corners to stave off premature understeer. Combine that with the most aggressively bolstered seats and the RDX emerged as the sports car in this group, both gratifying and fun around our ring."

RL, "Highs: Spirited handling, dapper cabin, quiet, tons of standard stuff.

Lows: Back seat and trunk still tight, less of a face lift than a fat lip."

So really, how are Acura vehicles not on the sporty side? May be that's true when you compare with BMW, if so, not many cars are that sporty.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:55 AM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
HKS' Genesis Coupe...

PRESS RELEASE

HYUNDAI COLLABORATES WITH HKS USA TO UNVEIL GENESIS COUPE AT SEMA SHOW

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., Sept. 3, 2008 - Hyundai Motor America today announced that HKS USA, Inc. will create a high-performance Genesis Coupe for the 2008 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show. The all-new, rear-wheel drive Hyundai model will make its SEMA debut at the Las Vegas Convention Center Nov. 4-Nov. 7, 2008. HKS, the leading manufacturer of premium performance parts, is the second company to join Hyundai for this year's SEMA show.

"Genesis Coupe has the basic DNA that HKS looks for - an excellent chassis, rear-wheel drive, aggressive styling and a new generation turbocharged engine. These attributes provide the opportunity for HKS to maximize the Genesis Coupe driving performance capabilities for the serious driving enthusiast," said Rick Lafferty, president, HKS USA, Inc. "HKS is allocating R&D, engineering and prototyping resources to lay the groundwork for HKS-brand Genesis Coupe performance parts. We are looking forward to working with Hyundai to realize the full performance potential of the Genesis Coupe."

The HKS plan for the Genesis Coupe includes a HKS GT Turbo upgrade to maximize horsepower and torque, HKS engine internals, HKS limited-edition turbo exhaust system, HKS Super Mega Flow Intake System, HKS Engine Management and HKS Hipermax III fully-adjustable suspension. "We've designed Genesis Coupe from the start to be tuner-friendly," said John Krafcik, vice president, Product Development and Strategic Planning, Hyundai Motor America. "Partnering with an industry leader like HKS is a terrific way for us to stretch the performance envelope of Genesis Coupe."

The HKS Genesis Coupe will also showcase functional ground effects designed by Ken Style, HKS Time-Attack cars' aerodynamic partner. The interior will emphasize driver comfort and control with HKS electronics including CAMP2 that monitors up to 24 data signals from the Genesis OBD2 and programmable calculations for fuel costs, average fuel consumption and fuel efficiency in real time.

HYUNDAI GENESIS COUPE HIGHLIGHTS
-Hyundai’s first rear-wheel drive sports car
-306 horsepower (est.) from enhanced 3.8-liter V6 from Genesis sedan
-Standard 212 horsepower (est.) turbocharged, intercooled inline four cylinder
-Genesis Coupe arrives in the spring of 2009 as a 2010 model

Drooooollllllll
Old 09-03-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
^ Looks pretty hawt.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Punk Rocker

WIsh this thing was gonna have the Genesis sedan's nav option...
Old 09-03-2008, 08:16 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
^ Omg. You sound like a broken record. Ok we get it, you're an Acura fanboy. Now stop cluttering the threads with the "TL-S beat RWD cars omgzors.."

And RWD is far closer to sports car then FWD will be. MMMkkkayyy?

Edit: Oh and I like how you have to qoute all these internet sites; how bout actually driving the cars before making a judgment? Especially since other car mags have referred to the Genesis as a sports sedan.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:45 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Funny since I was only quote C&D...I just like to quote some facts instead of saying things without any proof. Like you said, I'm just a "fanboy," what does my own opinion mean to you? Or anyone else? That's why I have to use quotes from reputable sources like C&D. At least people know what C&D is. By the way, I never denied the fact the Genesis is a great car did I? For that kind of features and price, it is such a bargain.

Hell yea RWD of course is far better for sports cars, or race cars than FWD. That's why F1 cars are all RWD. But we are talking about street cars. We aren't even talking about modded street-legal cars, but stock street cars that we can buy...Btw, I think I mentioned this before, but my dream car is a NSX-R, which is a RWD car.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by S A CHO
HKS' Genesis Coupe...

! The aftermarket bumper makes a huge difference.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:40 PM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Received 219 Likes on 118 Posts
Looks pretty freaking awesome!! I'd black out the mesh though
Old 09-04-2008, 03:29 AM

wow, a Kenstyle kit for it already! and HKS power adders! Interesting...........
Old 09-04-2008, 11:04 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:12 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
I remember reading a magazine a few months ago and seeing a picture of the new genesis, and i said..holy fack!

Hyundai has got some good people working for them recently.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:45 PM
how handsome I am

holy shit
Old 09-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
HOT. slightly annoyed by the dip in the rear window. its the inverse of a traditional raked sporty looked. suprised no has been vocal about this design element...
Old 09-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
^ people have. along with the grill and headlamp. I'm also not a big fan of their tails.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by yohan81718
^ people have. along with the grill and headlamp. I'm also not a big fan of their tails.
It could be worse....think acura.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
still looks like a cheap 18-20k$ car to me.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroday
still looks like a cheap 18-20k$ car to me.
And that's what I like about it... affordable rwd...

I drove a rwd Ford pinto when I was a youngster, so anything above that would be an improvement

Pricing has been rumored to follow the mustang, so while this might start at 20K, I can see them being in the 25-30K range (for the v6)...

If it starts under 20k, I might be tempted to get one... after the hoopla dies down and first year bugs get worked out...
Old 09-05-2008, 11:41 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
It's not the best looking coupe out there...that's for sure, but where are you going to be able to get a RWD coupe for that price?
Old 09-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Today is the day reservations become available for the Hyundai Genesis Coupe in Korea. To celebrate, Hyundai has released a new commercial which you can watch after the break. Those placing orders now should begin taking possession of their new two-door, rear-wheel drive coupe on September 26. Pricing for the new hotness from Hyundai is very reasonable for the Korean market with a base price of 25,360,000 WON (about U.S. $23,000). Stepping up to the "Stylish Pack" (seriously?) nets you 19-inch rims, a limited slip diff and optional Brembo's for 26,920,000 WON (U.S. $24,500). Well worth it in our estimation. A loaded 3.8-liter V6 Genesis Coupe will go for 33,150,000 WON (U.S. $30,100), which buys you over 300-horsepower and a full leather interior.

Hit the jump for a full rundown of pricing and options for the Coupe in Korea. According to our tipster, the Genesis sedan with the 3.8-liter V6 is selling for about $70K in its home market. This being the case, it's pretty hard to draw any conclusions as to what this means for U.S. Genesis Coupe pricing when it goes on sale sometime in 2009. We can hardly wait. Thanks for the tip, Sam!

Genesis Coupe 2.0 GL
- 210HP Theta 2.0 TCI RS engine, dual airbags, 6-speed MT, 18 alloys, ABS, VDC, starter button, seat warmers, Bluetooth handsfree system
Options: 5-speed AT, sunroof, reverse parking aid (?) (probably backup sonar), side and curtain airbags

PRICE - 25,360,000 WON (~US$23,000)

Genesis Coupe 2.0 Stylish Pack
- GL base options, 19 inch alloys, LSD, HID headlights, leather seats, full-auto climate control, reverse parking aid
Options: 5-speed AT, sunroof, side and curtain airbags, Brembo brake system

PRICE - 26,920,000 WON (~US$24,500)

Genesis Coupe 2.0 GLS
- Stylish Pack base options, Brembo brake system, active headrests, 6-CD CD changer, aluminum pedals, JBL sound system, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires
Options: 5-speed AT, sunroof, side and curtain airbags

PRICE - 30,690,000 WON (~US$27,900)

Genesis Coupe 3.8 GLS
- 2.0 GLS base options, 303 HP Lambda 3.8 RS engine, Brembo brake system, LSD, 19 alloys, reverse parking aid, leather seats
Options: ZF 6-speed AT, sunroof, side and curtain airbags

PRICE - 33,150,000 WON (~US$30,100)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyk8haSjVow
Old 09-05-2008, 11:49 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
That commercial is awesome.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Punk Rocker

Looks kinda like a Jag in the commercial...
Old 09-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did this photoshop at work today (slow day)... If the headlights came out like this, the car would be perfect in every way. After I did it, I noticed that the headlights kind of resemble the Sedan headlights...

thats a photoshop? looks like you took a g37 and put the hyundai logo up front
Old 09-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Burning Brakes

sexy commercial
Old 09-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mreh
thats a photoshop? looks like you took a g37 and put the hyundai logo up front
it looks so much better than g37. g37 doesnt have that muscular curves on the side profile.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by msl82
it looks so much better than g37. g37 doesnt have that muscular curves on the side profile.
lol fail
Old 09-08-2008, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by mreh
lol fail
ignore him, he smokes crack before posting, it makes him think Hyundai > *
Old 09-08-2008, 06:00 AM
I can't find my garage

HKS' Genesis Coupe...

Drooooollllllll
Old 09-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Racer

Lets compare Hyundai Genesis coupe vs G37.....LOL

VS

VS

VS

[IMG][/IMG]

vs

End of discussion.

Last edited by msl82; 09-08-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:20 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

i do see bits and pieces of the G in the genesis coupe.

but i think the G37 is still a much better looking car. not to take anything away from the genesis though, which is a very good looking car in its own right.

Quick Reply: Hyundai: Genesis News