Hyundai: Genesis News

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 08:27 AM

Received 5,488 Likes on 3,746 Posts
^ But, I think a lot of us would take the Genny over the TLX/RLX.
The following 3 users liked this post by 00TL-P3.2:
fsttyms1 (11-18-2016), justnspace (11-18-2016), MSZ (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 08:28 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
i'd def. take the G80 over a TLX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no comparison!!!
Old 11-18-2016, 11:09 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Hyundai should move all of their dealers next to Acura.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Why? Hyundai is looking to compete, not crush. There's no fun if you don't have at least a somewhat valid competitor.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
This thing is beautiful. Id take this over any current acura sedan hands down.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Why? Hyundai is looking to compete, not crush. There's no fun if you don't have at least a somewhat valid competitor.
Well said, even hyundais normal sedan like the sonata is very very competitive with the Acura products IMHO.

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
^ But, I think a lot of us would take the Genny over the TLX/RLX.
Absolutely agree and would any day of the week.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
This thing is beautiful. Id take this over any current acura sedan hands down.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:16 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 842 Likes on 524 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I think originally Hyundai intended this to be a luxo-barge vs a sports car. But now that they are moving away from that they need to do some serious revisions to the platform and lose about 500-700 pounds. I drove the 3.8 awd premium as a rental multiple times and was really impressed with it in many ways. The fit and finish is almost perfect (certainly as nice, if not nicer than an RLX). But the handling screamed lux vs sport.

Would love some seat time with the 5.0 and 3.3T...boy have times changed.
Yea, it's more of a luxury cruiser for sure. Hence I'm interested to know how the sport model would drive like.

Originally Posted by justnspace
iforyou is paper racing.
and I dont think this car is intended to be a quarter mile king.
kind of like, Acura, Iforyou....this car is a entry-level-luxury-car with sport bits thrown in
Lol, not trying to be paper racing man.I don't care about a couple tenths of a second or a 2mph faster in the 1/4 mile. But it barely competes with the 4cyl competitors in terms of straight line performance. It's still cheaper than a 528i, E300, A6, or GS, but the price difference isn't as big as I thought.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good value as it does many things well - attractive exterior, nice interior, generally high quality interior, FR chassis, and decent pricing. But like RDX10 said, it doesn't really have much sportiness in it and can't really compete with the German in that regard. For refinement and comfort, while it's good, it seems like Lexus and MB are still better.

It seems like there's just a bit too much compromise to save a few thousand bucks.....it's better than a RLX...but that's kinda pointless as the RLX is DOA.

Which is why, I'm interested in the G80 Sport. I wanna know how sporty it is.

i'd def. take the G80 over a TLX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no comparison!!!
LOL it better be! It starts at $41.4k vs $35.4k. It's more like one would take the G80 over a RLX.....
Old 11-18-2016, 05:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iforyou
Yea, it's more of a luxury cruiser for sure. Hence I'm interested to know how the sport model would drive like.

Lol, not trying to be paper racing man.I don't care about a couple tenths of a second or a 2mph faster in the 1/4 mile. But it barely competes with the 4cyl competitors in terms of straight line performance. It's still cheaper than a 528i, E300, A6, or GS, but the price difference isn't as big as I thought.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good value as it does many things well - attractive exterior, nice interior, generally high quality interior, FR chassis, and decent pricing. But like RDX10 said, it doesn't really have much sportiness in it and can't really compete with the German in that regard. For refinement and comfort, while it's good, it seems like Lexus and MB are still better.

It seems like there's just a bit too much compromise to save a few thousand bucks.....it's better than a RLX...but that's kinda pointless as the RLX is DOA.

LOL it better be! It starts at $41.4k vs $35.4k. It's more like one would take the G80 over a RLX.....
I don't know if it is just the visual appearance of being huge, but it does in fact feel and look like a huge car. I don't think they can do anything to make it handle like a proper sports car with its' size and weight. I will say though that it is the most comfortable car I have ever sat in, I am 5'11 and the armrest length and placement was PERFECT. First car I have ever driven where I could actually rest both elbows on the intended armrest/center console in my normal driving position.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:49 PM
Team Owner

I would. Not even close.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:08 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I don't know if it is just the visual appearance of being huge, but it does in fact feel and look like a huge car. I don't think they can do anything to make it handle like a proper sports car with its' size and weight. I will say though that it is the most comfortable car I have ever sat in, I am 5'11 and the armrest length and placement was PERFECT. First car I have ever driven where I could actually rest both elbows on the intended armrest/center console in my normal driving position.
I

The G80 is a little bit bigger based on exterior dimensions than the others in this class. It also has class leading interior space.

Yea, it's hard to make the car handle well when it's 4500lb. Unfortunately, since Hyundai can't charge too much for the G80, something has to sacrifice. While many competitors would use aluminium and/or other lightweight materials, the G80 uses all-steel body. For instance, the CTS AWD 2.0T is around 3900lb, the E300 4matic is at 4060lb. Huge difference.

You get what you pay for. But the end result is that the ride and handling balance of the Cadillac CTS is the best in the segment, while the G80 is at the back of the grid.

If you can combine that lightweight, ride, and handling of the CTS with the comfort and features from the G80, then that would be quite a car. But then the price will probably be higher.....
Old 11-21-2016, 12:40 PM
Suzuka Master

I

The G80 is a little bit bigger based on exterior dimensions than the others in this class. It also has class leading interior space.

Yea, it's hard to make the car handle well when it's 4500lb. Unfortunately, since Hyundai can't charge too much for the G80, something has to sacrifice. While many competitors would use aluminium and/or other lightweight materials, the G80 uses all-steel body. For instance, the CTS AWD 2.0T is around 3900lb, the E300 4matic is at 4060lb. Huge difference.

You get what you pay for. But the end result is that the ride and handling balance of the Cadillac CTS is the best in the segment, while the G80 is at the back of the grid.

If you can combine that lightweight, ride, and handling of the CTS with the comfort and features from the G80, then that would be quite a car. But then the price will probably be higher.....
IMHO they need to seriously do some platform revisions. 4500 pounds is WAY too much, really needs to be around 3800-4000 and I think it can done by going to things like aluminum, magnesium, and ultra high strength steel. As well as using carbon fibre in the hood and other certain body panels. It is crazy how much weight some large crossovers have lost by doing this, 500-800 pounds in some
cases!

Is it considered a midsize sedan or full size? I think they should make another model smaller than it but still a sedan (I think the G70 is that intended model but may only be a coupe?) Hyundai says they plan to build 2 crossovers on the G80 platform, if the sedan weighs 4500 pounds will the SUVs weight 5000 pounds plus (those days can thankfully be left in the early to mid 2000's).

I gotta give it to Hyundai though, yes the platform is chunky, but they designed their own 8 speed automatic where other brands use off the shelf ZF products. They also have a very very meaty 5.0 V8. Extremely comfrotable but need to bring some sport into the eauation. A 3.3T and revised dampeners and bumpers does not equal a sports car IMHO.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:12 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Haaha yes, but this is where "you get what you pay for" comes in. It would probably cost way too much if they use too much strong and lightweight materials. On the other hand, I wonder how Acura does it with the MDX. While the Q7, XC90, X5 etc are all close to 5000lb in their 6-cylinder AWD form, the MDX AWD is somehow at 4250lb. And it has similar interior space as the others.

My understanding is that the G80 is a 5-series level car for 3-series level pricing. With that said, I think it's a tiny bit bigger than the 5 series, so it might be a borderline full-size car too.

I believe the G80 rides on the G90 platform. If the CUV's are built on this platform, then ya, they will probably be heavy too....

For sure, Hyundai should be given credit for making their own 8AT, but I think it's not as good as the ZF 8AT. Then again, that ZF unit is one of the best ever.

The Tau V8 sounds nicer than a typical 6-cylinder engine. It's also quite powerful. But to compete, it needs some boost. For instance, the G90 V8 isn't any faster than a 740i with the 3.0T I6.
The following 2 users liked this post by iforyou:
Costco (11-22-2016), RDX10 (11-23-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 12:22 PM
Team Owner

IMHO they need to seriously do some platform revisions. 4500 pounds is WAY too much, really needs to be around 3800-4000 and I think it can done by going to things like aluminum, magnesium, and ultra high strength steel. As well as using carbon fibre in the hood and other certain body panels. It is crazy how much weight some large crossovers have lost by doing this, 500-800 pounds in some
cases.
Once again, this has been Hyundai's motus operandi for almost two decades now. Pack a car with a ton of shit, but cheap out in the less noticeable areas to give people the illusion they are getting a ton for less money than the competing. And generally, Hyundai is giving a ton of value for the money.

Hyundai knows all too well they can't build the same G80, with aluminum and magnesium and whatever else, because they don't have the brand cache to be able to pull it off and make a ton of sales. Not yet. They're working on it though, as they have been over the last twenty years. With every new generation of vehicle they come out with, it takes a step closer to being as good, if not better already than the competition. And they won't change until people for the most part stop saying silly things like "that car is a piece of shit. I would never buy one of those"

if you noticed Hyundai pricing... There aren't as cheap as they used to be. Each generation they move up a bit in price. The selection between them and some of their competitors is shrinking. To be honest, I think what Hyundai has done, and the fact they knew early on that old stigmas die hard, was brilliant. You can't just jump to the top.

Last edited by TacoBello; 11-22-2016 at 12:24 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by TacoBello:
Costco (11-22-2016), oonowindoo (11-22-2016), RDX10 (11-23-2016), ttribe (11-23-2016), VR1 (11-28-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 01:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Haaha yes, but this is where "you get what you pay for" comes in. It would probably cost way too much if they use too much strong and lightweight materials. On the other hand, I wonder how Acura does it with the MDX. While the Q7, XC90, X5 etc are all close to 5000lb in their 6-cylinder AWD form, the MDX AWD is somehow at 4250lb. And it has similar interior space as the others.

My understanding is that the G80 is a 5-series level car for 3-series level pricing. With that said, I think it's a tiny bit bigger than the 5 series, so it might be a borderline full-size car too.

I believe the G80 rides on the G90 platform. If the CUV's are built on this platform, then ya, they will probably be heavy too....

For sure, Hyundai should be given credit for making their own 8AT, but I think it's not as good as the ZF 8AT. Then again, that ZF unit is one of the best ever.

The Tau V8 sounds nicer than a typical 6-cylinder engine. It's also quite powerful. But to compete, it needs some boost. For instance, the G90 V8 isn't any faster than a 740i with the 3.0T I6.
Agreed, I think the more exotic metals require some serious sales and brand cache. Maybe they know what they are doing by offering the Genesis the way it is, they understand that they need to start somewhere and move up. I also wondered the the same exact thing, the fwd MDX comes in at 3950 pounds, that is lighter than a 1G RDX! I have no clue how they do it, I realize the X5 and Q7 are longitudinal platforms which tend to weigh more than their fwd counterparts due to packaging efficiency in fwd vehicles, but 1000 pounds lighter, damn!

At the moment 5000 pound SUV's are still pretty common, so they could get away with it. Hopefully they will go longitudinal with the SUV's and not transverse. I have experience with the ZF and Hyundai 8 speed, I agree that the ZF was sharper, but the hyundai box was no slouch either....just not as sharp for sure. The 750I is about the same weight as the V6 G90 at 4500-4600 pounds, I image the V8 is a few hundred pounds more and the V6 7-series is only 4200 pounds...so not sure.

Once again, this has been Hyundai's motus operandi for almost two decades now. Pack a car with a ton of shit, but cheap out in the less noticeable areas to give people the illusion they are getting a ton for less money than the competing. And generally, Hyundai is giving a ton of value for the money.

Hyundai knows all too well they can't build the same G80, with aluminum and magnesium and whatever else, because they don't have the brand cache to be able to pull it off and make a ton of sales. Not yet. They're working on it though, as they have been over the last twenty years. With every new generation of vehicle they come out with, it takes a step closer to being as good, if not better already than the competition. And they won't change until people for the most part stop saying silly things like "that car is a piece of shit. I would never buy one of those"

if you noticed Hyundai pricing... There aren't as cheap as they used to be. Each generation they move up a bit in price. The selection between them and some of their competitors is shrinking. To be honest, I think what Hyundai has done, and the fact they knew early on that old stigmas die hard, was brilliant. You can't just jump to the top.
I agree fully, they are making slow but very very good steps towards becoming very good brands. In terms of the mainstream brands they really are ahead of the pack, the santa fe sport walks all over the rav4 and crv, the sonata is also a very competitive vehicle as well...etc. Also have to admit they really know how to hide their cost cutting better than some other brands do so credit for that is due at least. A loaded Kia sorento SX or santa fe XL is now 50K here in canada....about as much as a highlander and cx-9 but still a little behind a pilot or durango so really up there.

I really like what they are doing and can't wait to see their products in 5 years time.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:32 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yup, I guess that's why the MDX is Acura's best selling vehicle. It's actually a strong candidate against its 6-cyl competition. It doesn't have the power and torque to match them, but the weight advantage means that its performance is still competitive.

Yea, Hyundai has been hiring engineers and designers from Europe. This is similar to what Samsung did - where they would hire ex-Sony employees and pay them top dollars. For the European market G80, they even hired Lotus to do some tuning to improve handling. Unfortunately it still doesn't handle as well as others in this class.

Hyundai used to be able to take advantage of low labor costs in Korea. However, that advantage shrunk greatly in recent years. In order to make a good profit margin, they can no longer rely on making cheap cars. They have to improve quality and its image so that they can charge more $$. That's exactly what they are doing.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Yup, I guess that's why the MDX is Acura's best selling vehicle. It's actually a strong candidate against its 6-cyl competition. It doesn't have the power and torque to match them, but the weight advantage means that its performance is still competitive.

Yea, Hyundai has been hiring engineers and designers from Europe. This is similar to what Samsung did - where they would hire ex-Sony employees and pay them top dollars. For the European market G80, they even hired Lotus to do some tuning to improve handling. Unfortunately it still doesn't handle as well as others in this class.

Hyundai used to be able to take advantage of low labor costs in Korea. However, that advantage shrunk greatly in recent years. In order to make a good profit margin, they can no longer rely on making cheap cars. They have to improve quality and its image so that they can charge more $$. That's exactly what they are doing.
I wonder what the MDX hybrid will weigh, I really wish Honda had a respectable V8 or turbo 6 option they could throw into the mdx. The weight advantage is huge and with a large engine could really make use of that power. It gets to 60 in about 6.2 so not bad at all given its' size.

The first time I drove the genesis I was really hoping the lotus tuning would show, it absolutely did not. Regardless for the money it is still a very very good value.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:57 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I wonder what the MDX hybrid will weigh, I really wish Honda had a respectable V8 or turbo 6 option they could throw into the mdx. The weight advantage is huge and with a large engine could really make use of that power. It gets to 60 in about 6.2 so not bad at all given its' size.

The first time I drove the genesis I was really hoping the lotus tuning would show, it absolutely did not. Regardless for the money it is still a very very good value.
The weight difference between a RLX FWD and a RLX Sport hybrid is about 350lb. With the MDX FWD at 4000lb, the MDX Sport hybrid will probably be at 4350lb. WIth that said, the MDX sport hybrid uses a 3.0L V6 instead of 3.5L, and the RLX FWD has PAWS (MDX FWD doesn't have that I think). I guess those two would more of less offset each other?

I think the Lotus tuning only applies to European market Genesis. I don't think the North American ones are tuned that way. For Asian car manufacturers, there's the thinking that North Americans like softer rides.....lol
Old 11-24-2016, 12:08 AM
Suzuka Master

The weight difference between a RLX FWD and a RLX Sport hybrid is about 350lb. With the MDX FWD at 4000lb, the MDX Sport hybrid will probably be at 4350lb. WIth that said, the MDX sport hybrid uses a 3.0L V6 instead of 3.5L, and the RLX FWD has PAWS (MDX FWD doesn't have that I think). I guess those two would more of less offset each other?

I think the Lotus tuning only applies to European market Genesis. I don't think the North American ones are tuned that way. For Asian car manufacturers, there's the thinking that North Americans like softer rides.....lol
You make a good point, wonder what the get up and go will be like and if they are using the same battery setup. I'd imagine they would want slightly larger ones. All in all, only time will tell of course.

Makes sense, that is a huge let down! Wonder where this soft state of mind was when they engineered my 2007 RDX and MDX...I swear the RDX has a softer ride than the MDX.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:25 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Really? I have a 2007 RDX too and man it's anything but soft (for a CUV)!
Old 11-24-2016, 04:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Really? I have a 2007 RDX too and man it's anything but soft (for a CUV)!
Honestly mine was really comfrotable. It wasn't soft, but it was very well dampened. The MDX on the other hand has a very rigid suspension. I can feel any and all bumps or deviations in the road and I have the ADS shocks and my mdx is in "comfort mode" 99% of the time (honestly though think it is more my tires than anything). I never put it in sport mode ever except for a couple seconds for a sharp turn which sucks because I like how heavy the steering gets in sport mode.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:29 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

That's really weird...but I've never driven a 2G MDX so I don't know. it's probably because my RDX has 180000km on it, so the suspension is probably worn out.....chassis is getting old....is your MDX a 2G model or 3G?
Old 11-27-2016, 08:55 PM
Suzuka Master

That's really weird...but I've never driven a 2G MDX so I don't know. it's probably because my RDX has 180000km on it, so the suspension is probably worn out.....chassis is getting old....is your MDX a 2G model or 3G?
Oh just noticed your sig, you also have an 07 RDX (my favorite Acura of all time). I had 155K kms when I sold it, so not far off from you. Where in Canada are you located? My MDX is a 2007 2G, the 3G's (2014+) don't have the ADS shocks except on the still not out hybrid 2017 model.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:06 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

lol I should've known yours is a 2G...from your profile pic...haha.

I'm from the Lower Mainland...I got mine when it was at 126,000km 2.5 years ago.

Anyway, we are waaaaaaay off topic here now!
Old 11-29-2016, 02:20 AM
Suzuka Master

lol I should've known yours is a 2G...from your profile pic...haha.

I'm from the Lower Mainland...I got mine when it was at 126,000km 2.5 years ago.

Anyway, we are waaaaaaay off topic here now!
Haha I just seen the thread title change....sorry guys...the 1G section is barely alive...it's right down there with the ZDX and RSX sub-forums...

Back to topic.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:08 PM
Team Owner

Unless yours is RDX Elite, otherwise
Old 11-29-2016, 03:12 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

LOL the title change should be 1G RDX!

Anyway I was reading a little bit about Hyundai and it's interesting to note that even for its top of the line Genesis G90 that is $70k, it still uses all-steel body (high strength). This again translates to heavy curb weight compare to most competitors.

From what I read, while using steel cheaper, it's possible that Hyundai can save even more money with steel since the company actually has a subsidiary that makes steel - Hyundai Steel. Hyundai Steel is the 2nd largest EAF steel producer in the world with 24 million tonnes per annum. It's apparently the only automotive company with its own steel mill.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:50 PM
Team Owner

All I read here so far on this page is Hyundai > Acura.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:23 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Kia > Acura too. RWD with 360hp 3.3L Turbo V6? I am in.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MSZ
Kia > Acura too. RWD with 360hp 3.3L Turbo V6? I am in.

What is that?
Old 11-29-2016, 08:52 PM
Team Owner

Holy fuck.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:53 PM
Team Owner

All that car needs is an aftermarket exhaust and a chip.

And remember, this is Hyundai/Kia we are talking about.

Last edited by TacoBello; 11-29-2016 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:28 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
What is that?
A RWD Kia which shares it's platform and powertrain with the upcoming Genesis G70.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MSZ
A RWD Kia which shares it's platform and powertrain with the upcoming Genesis G70.
Sure beats the piss out of anything in the Acura showroom (barring NSX, but that doesn't count). Excited to see it in full production form
The following users liked this post:
fsttyms1 (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 07:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
All I read here so far on this page is Hyundai > Acura.
Yea, because THEY GET IT. If acura even remotely started paying attention and doing what the others are doing they would be much more successful with the sedans.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Yea, because THEY GET IT. If acura even remotely started paying attention and doing what the others are doing they would be much more successful with the sedans.

it would then take them 10 years to implement the very same ideas.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:57 AM

Acura engineers: "gawyamit, we missed the boat again"
Old 11-30-2016, 11:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Acura engineers: "gawyamit, we missed the boat again"
More like,

Acura Engineers: "Was there ever a boat?"
Old 11-30-2016, 11:53 AM

Acura Engineers: "let's just design boats!"
Old 11-30-2016, 12:41 PM
Team Owner

Acura engineers: "forget the boat. we all drowned 10 years ago"
Old 11-30-2016, 12:56 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

What is that?
I believe it's the production version of the Kia GT concept.

Would love to know what chassis it will be using along with the G70. Hopefully it will be a different one than the G80/90! Otherwise it will likely to be heavy and will be more about ride comfort than sportiness.

With that said, Hyundai paid big bucks to lure Albert Biermann (ex- VP of Engineering at BMW M department) to sort out the chassis. So things should be good. Doesn't look like it will have 6MT though which may be a shame for some.

Quick Reply: Hyundai: Genesis News