Hyundai: Genesis News

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 07:32 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by xenonhid
Why would the Korean Attorneys and Lawyers not want to pursue this?

That's not why I said that. I just figured the US was the only country where you could sue for anything. I suspect, also, Korean lawyers are more ethical than the class action douchebags here.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:40 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
That's not why I said that. I just figured the US was the only country where you could sue for anything. I suspect, also, Korean lawyers are more ethical than the class action douchebags here.

I see. Thanks for replying.

I'm sure KART (Korean Automobile Repair Research & Training Center) will file a report to Hyundai Corp. with Attorney's from both sides.

KART is the Korean equivalent to the US's Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in finding whether if this was an isolated issue with a LEMON scenario, or if a valid recall needs to be issued.

Depending how the R&D and the Public Relations Department at Hyundai handle this event will equate the severity of the lawsuit from the driver's attorney.

Last edited by xenonhid; 11-15-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TL|GTX
Stupid ass koreans, thier genesis sucks ass to. Thier just a sucky wanna be lux company.
the real fu_k up shits are domestic brands. at least Hyundai isn't asking for our money (tax payer) for bail out.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:37 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
^ a very fucking irreverant point.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
That article is ridiculous. The Brembo brakes couldn't stop the Genesis? More likely they weren't able to defy the laws of physics or gravity.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,765 Likes on 804 Posts
I think we're missing the point here.

Yes the airbags did not deploy and that is a very bad thing, however look at the front end of that car :wow: It looks like there was no modern space frame to speak of to absorb a front end collision. That is what would worry me more.

The only thing I can speak on is that (I believe) that Hyundais that get shipped to the states are safer than the ones in Korea because of the American auto safety regulations.

I guess when the car officially launches and gets properly crash tested on this side of the pond we'll really see how the Genesis coupe stands up to a front end collision.

I hope it does well. I'm with the camp of most of us here that like this car already.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
Yes...that's me. I'm not going to get into an argument with you over something so trivial. It doesn't matter who makes it or what it is. It could be a toaster or a wristwatch. Nothing, regardless of what it is, will work 100% of the time.

Oh...and a final thought. Car companies don't actually make their own airbags. I did some looking. Hyundai's airbags are made by a company called AutoLiv. That Same company makes them for almost everybody else...
Very good points there...
Old 11-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is Korean an ethnicity or a nationality?
Old 11-15-2008, 10:10 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I actaully don't like american cars either. But i was actaully talking about the koreans who made this car, not in general. They work for cheap labor, thus caring about actaully putting quality in thier car. And no i did not make a thread saying i hate my tl. I made a thread saying is the new camry really faster then the TL B/c that sounds hard to beilieve.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:02 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by knight rider

The only thing I can speak on is that (I believe) that Hyundais that get shipped to the states are safer than the ones in Korea because of the American auto safety regulations.

I'd kind of doubt that. That'd mean 2 sepaerate specificaitons and designs. Potentially two separate uni-bodies, etc. That would increase costs - probably beyond the cost of making all the cars as safe as necessary for the US market.

Regards the comments on law suits. I suspect tort law in Korea is quite a bit different and probably less advantageous to the consumer than it is here. I also suspect that Hyundai, due to cultural norms, will offer compensation with the need to resort legal actions.

Originally Posted by Walmart Gangsta
is Korean an ethnicity or a nationality?

Both, although the ethnicity is closely related to the Mongoleans (wasn't Khengis Khan Mongolean? He was one bad ass dude).

Last edited by Bearcat94; 11-15-2008 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:03 PM
AZ Community Team

I actaully don't like american cars either. But i was actaully talking about the koreans who made this car, not in general. They work for cheap labor, thus caring about actaully putting quality in thier car. And no i did not make a thread saying i hate my tl. I made a thread saying is the new camry really faster then the TL B/c that sounds hard to beilieve.
Dude, I've seen a lot of your dumb ass posts and kept my mouth shut, but this thread takes the cake.

You don't have a fucking clue. Koreans are some the hardest working, conscientious, diligent, focused people on the planet. You know what Korean workers remind me of? Americans when we have a sense of pride in our work and are ready, willing and able to pull ourselves up by our own boot-straps.

I guaran-fucking-ty that if this comes out as a manufacturing or design failure people at all levels in Hyundai will be *truely* remorseful and work doubly hard to insure it never happens again.

Unlike, say, Ford and Firestone with the exploding Explorer tires - "Who? Us? There's no problem with the Explorer."

You are a fucking dick.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

also by following some of your posts
you should've rather bought a camry and start racing grand cherokee, trailblazer, etc...
Old 11-16-2008, 03:15 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
lol, so now you know how much Hyundai plant workers get paid? GTFO. You're a waste of bandwidth. Oh, and by the way your Acura TL was made in Ohio, which last time I checked was in America. Thanks for playing.

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Dude, I've seen a lot of your dumb ass posts and kept my mouth shut, but this thread takes the cake.

You don't have a fucking clue. Koreans are some the hardest working, conscientious, diligent, focused people on the planet. You know what Korean workers remind me of? Americans when we have a sense of pride in our work and are ready, willing and able to pull ourselves up by our own boot-straps.

I guaran-fucking-ty that if this comes out as a manufacturing or design failure people at all levels in Hyundai will be *truely* remorseful and work doubly hard to insure it never happens again.

Unlike, say, Ford and Firestone with the exploding Explorer tires - "Who? Us? There's no problem with the Explorer."

You are a fucking dick.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:26 AM
¿baCon?

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wow this got heated fast... to straighten things out I would like to add my 2 cents..

Hyundai is trying to make it into the big dog (if you will) category with ac/lex/inf with the genesis. Have you guys seen the price tag on these suckers? 50K plus. And they have been advertising them up the wazoo... I doubt this will hinder them much. It may be a hyundai, but hell, I bet it rides nicer than my CL
Old 11-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Race Director

Old 11-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,858 Likes on 14,004 Posts
Keep it civil folks...

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2008, 01:20 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
I'd kind of doubt that. That'd mean 2 separate specifications and designs. Potentially two separate uni-bodies, etc. That would increase costs - probably beyond the cost of making all the cars as safe as necessary for the US market.

When I was stationed in Korea back in '99, I checked into getting a car there and bringing it back to the US. They had a cool looking 2dr SUV...can't recall the name. To get it converted to US standards, would have cost >$2K. Things may be different now, but I'm pretty sure we have stricter safety standards.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Racer

Some nice shots of white GenCoupe in the rain
Old 11-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,765 Likes on 804 Posts
When I was stationed in Korea back in '99, I checked into getting a car there and bringing it back to the US. They had a cool looking 2dr SUV...can't recall the name. To get it converted to US standards, would have cost >$2K. Things may be different now, but I'm pretty sure we have stricter safety standards.
I agree, because I too was stationed in Korea and I can remember driving a civilian contractor around in a Sonata for a few days. It drove like crap; nothing like it's American counterpart.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:06 PM
AZ Community Team

Well of course it's possible. Just doesn't make sense (at first thought) to me.

And consider the car you refer to wasn't for sale in the US, so no need for a "two standard" platform.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:48 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow, leave it to TL/GTX to get everyone pissed off. I have been calling you ot every dumb ass post you put here. I can't understand why they allow you to post anything let alone, start a thread.

You FAIL
Old 11-17-2008, 01:12 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Lmfao!!!!! i soo forgot about the exploding explorer tires. You reminded me why i dislike them again. I remember that happening around 03-04.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:06 AM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hawt
Old 11-17-2008, 02:42 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Islandsnowz
Lmfao!!!!! i soo forgot about the exploding explorer tires. You reminded me why i dislike them again. I remember that happening around 03-04.
n/m not so funny anymore, just remembered i had a cousin die from that shit. :thumbsdow
Old 11-17-2008, 03:24 AM

How convenient of msl to avoid acknowledging the airbag post. No answers this time huh?
Old 11-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
How convenient of msl to avoid acknowledging the airbag post. No answers this time huh?
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/16/t...-camry-hybrid/

Check that link, just for comparison's sake.

Air bag systems are extremely sophisticated and they will not deploy unless it is deemed necessary. They don't deploy in every impact; only when it would help protect the occupants. Otherwise it only adds to the repair bill. We can all sit here and play SRS expert all day, but we will never know what went on inside the computer chip at the moment to decide against deployment.

But we do know that this particular Coupe endured a hard impact and is totalled. Yet the occupant was not injured. That is a testament to the structrual rigidity and the energy absorption ability of the chassis. Good frontal impact protection these days is pretty standard. Lateral and offset crash worthiness are still heavily dependent on the level of technology and efforts that went into developing the chassis.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:14 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by msl82
[/SIZE]

Thats racist comment right there. Nothing but hate and slander in your message.

I might criticize the car company, but never ethnicity who built it. For example, I might say Pontiac Aztec is piece of shit, but never "Stupid ass White Americans" who built that car.

Let the Lord deal with your foul mouth...
Pot calling the kettle black

..oh the irony.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/16/t...-camry-hybrid/

Check that link, just for comparison's sake.

Air bag systems are extremely sophisticated and they will not deploy unless it is deemed necessary. They don't deploy in every impact; only when it would help protect the occupants. Otherwise it only adds to the repair bill. We can all sit here and play SRS expert all day, but we will never know what went on inside the computer chip at the moment to decide against deployment.

But we do know that this particular Coupe endured a hard impact and is totalled. Yet the occupant was not injured. That is a testament to the structrual rigidity and the energy absorption ability of the chassis. Good frontal impact protection these days is pretty standard. Lateral and offset crash worthiness are still heavily dependent on the level of technology and efforts that went into developing the chassis.

Actually read that on autoblog before I made my last post. Made me kinda shake my head in disgust that a "Top Gear" host is driving a Camry Hybrid.

I'm sure SRS system manufacturers know a lot more than air bags than any of us. But from what I know an airbag is most useful as a cushion to prevent someone from slamming their face into the steering wheel or dashboard and to prevent a whiplash injury, each of which can occur even if the vehicle structure successfully absorbs all of the impact and the seatbelts are on and working fine.

Yes, I've seen an airbag go off before in a controlled setting. Its violent and LOUD. However I can't imagine my car going from 40 mph to 0 in an instant or vice versa and not have the airbags go off. I know "what if" situations don't hold much water, but when the time comes for the "what if" situation to actually play itself out, that's when lawsuits happen. As in, what if the seatbelt tensioner was faulty and didn't perform its duty to the fullest?

I was young and dumb, and I was in a 10 mph accident where the car I was in rear-ended a car at a standstill. Needless to say I didn't have my seatbelt on, and I flew forward into the dashboard face first, and the impact knocked one of my teeth loose (thankfully, it wasn't a permanent one). I now have a slight dent in my gumline and a couple of crooked teeth to remind me everyday. I'm not saying not wearing your seatbelt is okay either, but my point is that if someone was wearing their seatbelt and it didn't lock up either in time or even at all, it could be real ugly.

It's a shame that you work for Hyundai and make well thought-out posts and yet here is msl82 slandering other cars for "copying" Hyundai, and like a friend who's only there when he needs you and not the other way around, he dodges this matter when it comes up. Nice.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Dragging knees in

Stupid ass koreans, thier genesis sucks ass to. Thier just a sucky wanna be lux company.
Where in Michigan do you live? I will have to come by and buy you a beer.

I so agree with your comment. Those Koreans, man. They have no clue what they are doing. That's why Korea has the 11th largest and wealthiest economy in the world, projected to be the 2nd wealthiest country by 2050 by the Goldman Sachs firm.

Those idiots also have no clue how to engineer and build some of the world's best electronics, shipbuilding and construction technology, not to mention dominating countless other smaller industry sectors. Hyundai-Kia Automotive Group is only the fifth largest auto conglomerate in the world. Who cares about number 5, though? If you ain't number one, you ain't shit, right? That's why you drive an Acura, built by the 6th largest company.

I lived in Michigan for more than a decade. I'm not too surprised to see this type of comment to come from the ignorant population of Michiganders. Here's a dollar. Go buy a fucking clue.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:58 PM
AZ Community Team

I so agree with your comment. Those Koreans, man. They have no clue what they are doing. That's why Korea has the 11th largest and wealthiest economy in the world, projected to be the 2nd wealthiest country by 2050 by the Goldman Sachs firm.

Those idiots also have no clue how to engineer and build some of the world's best electronics, shipbuilding and construction technology, not to mention dominating countless other smaller industry sectors. Hyundai-Kia Automotive Group is only the fifth largest auto conglomerate in the world. Who cares about number 5, though? If you ain't number one, you ain't shit, right? That's why you drive an Acura, built by the 6th largest company.

I lived in Michigan for more than a decade. I'm not too surprised to see this type of comment to come from the ignorant population of Michiganders. Here's a dollar. Go buy a fucking clue.

A most excellent post; the sarcasm practically drips from each sentence.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Rob you my boy!!
Old 11-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
@ Rob
Old 11-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 11-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
now back on topic.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 11-17-2008, 10:53 PM

I normally don't like exposed CF at all, exterior or interior, but the CF fog lamp surrounds look pretty nice
Old 11-18-2008, 08:37 AM
now with 7 gears

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd just like to point out about the comment about the airbag not going off in the Camry compared to the Genesis; the Camry suffered relatively little frontal damage, so not even really a good comparison. The Genesis got devastated in the front driver quarter, and it looks like the driver's body literally bent the steering wheel back a good 8". I'd hope to god that this really is a pre-production model without an airbag system.

Just look at the carnage below and you'll see that any airbag system should have been deployed at this stage. There even looks to be blood on the driver seat.

http://jalopnik.com/5085368/first-hy...aught-in-korea

Old 11-18-2008, 08:55 AM

^

That brings me back to the point I made in my earlier post.... one of the purposes of an airbag is so that your face doesn't get its ass kicked by the steering wheel.

The blood could either be from glass shards flying and cutting the driver or it could be blood from their mouth from any sort of injury resultant from bending a steering wheel with your face.

But after all that, the driver was apparently "uninjured?"

But we do know that this particular Coupe endured a hard impact and is totalled. Yet the occupant was not injured.
Now I'm going to have to ask for a source please. Was this a test car not for sale, or? Either way, that's still pretty damn dangerous.

I'm still a big fan of the car but......
Old 11-18-2008, 09:37 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Nice job PA.

The exposed CF has to go .
Old 11-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by Viscous
I'd just like to point out about the comment about the airbag not going off in the Camry compared to the Genesis; the Camry suffered relatively little frontal damage, so not even really a good comparison. The Genesis got devastated in the front driver quarter, and it looks like the driver's body literally bent the steering wheel back a good 8". I'd hope to god that this really is a pre-production model without an airbag system.

Just look at the carnage below and you'll see that any airbag system should have been deployed at this stage. There even looks to be blood on the driver seat.
And once again, we can sit here and play SRS expert all day. It is only your opinion, not as a true expert on SRS and energy absorption engineering, that "any airbag system should have been deployed at this stage."

I have seen airbags deploy at very slow speeds, where many believed they were not necessary to deploy. I have seen airbags that did not deploy in situations where "common sense" tells us that they "should" have been deployed. But once again, they are very complex and they only deploy when it is deemed necessary.

I was not insinuating that the Camry failed to deploy the airbags. Just making a reference that just because it flipped over, or endured an impact, that they shouldn't deploy. Even in situations where the general population may believe they should've deployed, they didn't deploy because it is not deemed necessary, calculated based on complex set of codes and parameters.

Could they have truly failed to deploy in the Genesis Coupe? It's a possibility. Cars can malfunction and Hyundai is not an exception. All I'm saying is that before we jump to conclusions and assume that they failed to deploy, we also have to consider the possibility that they were deemed not necessary. It could've been the angle of the impact. Who knows?

I originally wasn't going to post on this matter and let the discussion continue, but the trend was becoming pretty negative so I wanted to chime in. What I post here is just my opinion, like anybody else posting in here.

Quick Reply: Hyundai: Genesis News