Hyundai: Genesis News

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:47 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
oof! No aibag deployment with that kind of a wreck?!?!?

The A pillar is bent!!!! That's some serious intrusion into the passenger compartment...and no SRS was enabled? It looks like the with the intrusion into the A pillar the entire dash & steering wheel was pushed into the cabin.

IMHO the airbag needed to deploy...for certain.
Looks like their was a malfunction.

Does this mean Hyundai's are garbage death traps? and
It means this particular car had a serious problem....and gives Hyundai reasons to make sure it's a "one" car problem and not an entire model line problem.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
How convenient of msl to avoid acknowledging the airbag post. No answers this time huh?
Whats to avoid? If you honestly believe that Hyundai GenCoupe doesnt deploy airbags properly, think whatever you want...lol

Well, here is the REAL FACTUAL SCIENTIFIC result of Safety crash, and guess what, its SAFER than INFINITY G37!!

" Gen coupe gets a GOOD rating front, side, and rear crashes on IIHS SIMULATED. Infiniti on the other gets one acceptable."

BAM! Can I say............................................... ......In your face?? BAM!!
Old 11-18-2008, 12:43 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Still dodging the issues. It's not about the crash test ratings....it's about the airbag not deploying in the real world.

If it's one car...not that big of a deal. If it's a symptom of the entire model line...that's a whole lot larger issue that needs to be adressed.

Pictures of a completely wrecked car with major front end damage and no SRS deployment is very bad PR......for any car company.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
^^ Still dodging the issues. It's not about the crash test ratings....it's about the airbag not deploying in the real world.

If it's one car...not that big of a deal. If it's a symptom of the entire model line...that's a whole lot larger issue that needs to be adressed.

Pictures of a completely wrecked car with major front end damage and no SRS deployment is very bad PR......for any car company.
Its not dodging an issue.

That particular Hyundai GenCoup car crashed is pre-production model. Its not one of the production model in which a consumer purchased.

It was one of the few pre-production car, unfortunately it was involved in horrible crash. I would not be so suprised if an airbag didnt deploy for pre-production car.

Hyundai has better safety rating than average in the car industry. Hyundai has better than average rating in quality, reliability, safety, and value.

Honestly, I would not be worried at all for production car.

Your actually dodging this issue by disregarding the scientific factual results I posted up. Let me post up the results again below, and YES, Air Bag did diploy!! LOL. The PRODUCTION Hyundai GenCoupe had better crash safety result than Infinity G37.

" Gen coupe gets a GOOD rating front, side, and rear crashes on IIHS SIMULATED. Infiniti on the other gets one acceptable."
Old 11-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Old 11-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Rest assured that if this is an actual problem that affects the model, then Hyundai is already on it.

Bad PR indeed. But if Ford can cover up the Mustang, Crown Victoria and the Explorer problems, then you have to wonder the amount of serious issues that never ever reach the general public.

I was once told that if one actually knew the process of how a car was built, then he/she would not drive one. I think many would agree with that. But with that said, I see our cars being built on a daily basis, and I have absolutely no reservation or hesitation of getting behind the wheel of them.

Don't worry. If it's an actual problem, then they are already on it.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

From what I understand, Hyundai uses the same aribag manufacturer as most of the other car companies. I wouldn't expect there to be a higher rate of failures for them than anyone else regardless of these pictures flying around. Just because the car is new doesn't mean they had to re-engineer the entire airbag system. Its probably very much the same as most other cars....
Old 11-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Burning Brakes

mountain out of a molehill...
Old 11-19-2008, 12:15 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Rest assured that if this is an actual problem that affects the model, then Hyundai is already on it.

Bad PR indeed. But if Ford can cover up the Mustang, Crown Victoria and the Explorer problems, then you have to wonder the amount of serious issues that never ever reach the general public.

I was once told that if one actually knew the process of how a car was built, then he/she would not drive one. I think many would agree with that. But with that said, I see our cars being built on a daily basis, and I have absolutely no reservation or hesitation of getting behind the wheel of them.

Don't worry. If it's an actual problem, then they are already on it.
No doubt it will be addressed. Like I stated before Hyundai is not an unsafe vehicle.

I wrote what I wrote because some here :cough: were trying to state that the SRS system did not need to deploy in a wreck like that.

That is straight nonsense.

It either failed and will be reviewed, or it was a pre-production model that was not equipped with a complete SRS system.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:19 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by msl82

If that's good, I don't want to know what acceptable is.

It was one of the few pre-production car, unfortunately it was involved in horrible crash. I would not be so suprised if an airbag didnt deploy for pre-production car.
and once again, source? link?
Old 11-19-2008, 06:38 AM
01'BMW540iMspt

Yikes

I also work for Hyundai, as a service advisor for the last 10yrs. When I 1st seen this accident & the damage, it bothered me that the airbag didn't deploy. I know Hyundai makes some of the safest cars on the road, but it still bothered me. I figured that it is probably an individual case & knew that there is a lot of info the computer tabulates to determine airbag deployment above & beyond speed, angle of impact, etc, but it still bothered me. Then I thought maybe this is a pre-production car, even so still bothered. I know Hyundai has to be all over this with the publicity it's gotten & if there's any possibility that it may effect the line, they will correct it, recall or otherwise. I'm a gung-ho fan of Hyundai due to their quality & safety, but I am also an auto enthusiast so have been anticipating the release of this vehicle prior to most people even knowing about it, but the fact still remains that much damage w/no airbag deployment bothered me. This will be my 1st new car purchase ever & I'm 39, so I want there to be little or no bugs with this vehicle, esp with regards to safety. Go Hyundai
Old 11-19-2008, 07:13 AM
Dragging knees in

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...DD111A6C957%7D

NADA selects the top 5 luxury cars for 2009.

1. 2009 Audi A8 L, starting at $74,050.
2. 2009 Jaguar XF Supercharged, starting at $64,475.
3. 2009 Mercedes-Benz S Class 550, starting at $90,225.
4. 2009 Hyundai Genesis, starting at $32,250.
5. 2009 Bentley Arnage, starting at $224,900.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:25 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Tufast
This will be my 1st new car purchase ever & I'm 39, so I want there to be little or no bugs with this vehicle, esp with regards to safety. Go Hyundai
I hate to burst your bubble....but ANY first year model car is gonna be full of bugs. It's standard in the industry. Early adaptors are always the guinea pigs. Best '0 luck.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Dragging knees in

I hate to burst your bubble....but ANY first year model car is gonna be full of bugs. It's standard in the industry. Early adaptors are always the guinea pigs. Best '0 luck.
Both the sedan and the coupe have an approximately 6-month delayed launch in the United States after Korea. This provides adequate time to work out the bugs for a good launch in the United States.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:00 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Both the sedan and the coupe have an approximately 6-month delayed launch in the United States after Korea. This provides adequate time to work out the bugs for a good launch in the United States.
There are plenty of cars that come from europe that are released in Europe 6 months before the U.S.....then when they hit the U.S. they are still buggy.

You roll the dice with any first year product. Period.

Most cars by model year 2 or 3 have most of the bugs worked out.
Par for the course.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:12 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Hyundai/Kia is the largest auto maker in Korea, somewhat similar to Toyota in Japan. It also have full Korean government backing. It is destined to overtake Honda, it's just a matter of time.
I'm pretty sure Japanese government is backing up its automakers as well.. It is the largest business industry for Japan..
Old 11-19-2008, 12:12 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
8-speed automatic
Old 11-19-2008, 12:49 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
10-speed auto from Hyundai .....

Now this is ADVANCE, Acura !
meh...I had a ten speed years ago....then my friends got 12 speeds and 18 speeds...then 24 speeds.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:28 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,049 Likes on 1,480 Posts
meh...I had a ten speed years ago....then my friends got 12 speeds and 18 speeds...then 24 speeds.

I've always thought having all those gears were so redundant
Old 11-19-2008, 03:49 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

I hear Honda is going to buck the trend and release an all new 3 Speed for the next RL.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by dom

I hear Honda is going to buck the trend and release an all new 3 Speed for the next RL.
ahhh the less is more philosophy that has helped them survive all these years...
Old 11-19-2008, 04:28 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + TL
I'm pretty sure Japanese government is backing up its automakers as well.. It is the largest business industry for Japan..
The Korean government only has to back up one auto conglomerate, namely the Hyundai/Kia group. But the Japanese government has a handful, and Honda is not even the biggest amongst that handful.

Do you also think the US government is gonna back up the domestic auto makers too ?
Old 11-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
^ yes to US govt backing up domestic auto makers... wasn't there a news yesterday about 25 billion to each of 3 domestics??

I don't know the economic term for this.. but if you consider all the industry involved with the dometic automakers, it makes more sense to back them up at the current situation

but then.. maybe it's just current situation.. and not when we're all good and in peace
Old 11-19-2008, 08:07 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
No.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has today (Nov 19) called off a planned vote this week on a $25-billion US auto industry bailout.

One advice to the Big3 CEO's : ditch your private jets first. The US government will not likely to approve any bailout to continue funding the extravagance life styles of the auto companies' top management staffs.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Busting some beats...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
msl.....Reliablility? Um....no offense but.....if the car was so reliable, than even after all the rebates and discounts that Hyundai offers, than that SO safe, reliable, high quality car's retail value would not decrease so rapidly. Very nice car indeed.....but not nice enough or igh quality enough to trade my TL for it. No way in hell.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by AcuraTL_driver
msl.....Reliablility? Um....no offense but.....if the car was so reliable, than even after all the rebates and discounts that Hyundai offers, than that SO safe, reliable, high quality car's retail value would not decrease so rapidly. Very nice car indeed.....but not nice enough or igh quality enough to trade my TL for it. No way in hell.
Jaguar, Audi, VW, Cadillac... just off the top of my head, to name a few.

They all suffer from rapidly decreasing value. Reliability is a contributing factor to resale value in general, but not the biggest. There are other factors at work here.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:29 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i saw the coupe in person at a car show recently. it looks great. i might even prefer it to the G coupe, especially for that price.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Jaguar, Audi, VW, Cadillac... just off the top of my head, to name a few.

They all suffer from rapidly decreasing value. Reliability is a contributing factor to resale value in general, but not the biggest. There are other factors at work here.
I wouldn't call these reliable. If the Caddy is more than five years old, I wouldn't call it reliable, either.

I'd put Hyundai in the same category as Caddy; their most recent (last five years) cars are great, but before that, not so much. And like Caddy, they suffer from an image/stigma problem, however unwarrated it may be. I think both can and will change that perception over time and their resale values won't decrease as rapidly as the do now.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Racer

HP 263.79whp => 294.62 whp
Torque 34.06 => 36.60

Aftermarket intake/exaust ONLY

30.85 whp gain!!

According to claims in S.Korea, Hyundai Genesis Coupe has great tunability.

http://dory.mncast.com/mncHMovie.swf...Num=1&uLang=ja

KP Pride baby~~!!
Old 11-21-2008, 11:51 PM

If that's good, I don't want to know what acceptable is.

and once again, source? link?
KP Pride baby~~!!
nevermind.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:42 AM
Racer

nevermind.
I read it awhile ago in Korean website. It was during before GenCoupe was available for public in S.Korea, and in that article it clearly stated it was pre-production vehicle.

I went back to the website, "yahoo.co.kr" and tried to find it with no avail.

Whats funny is that your concerning about an issue thats really not that big of a deal. If you honestly believe that GenCoupe will have failure of airbag deployment in production vehicles, you should also be skeptical of all current Hyundai line up of cars. The airbag system is from the same vendor used for all Hyundai cars. I have yet to hear airbag failure in Hyundai cars. HAVE YOU?

LOL at the haters with jealousy and insecurity, they are trying so hard to stir up non-credible controversy just because they can't stand to see honest car company producing amazing cars.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:21 AM

I read it awhile ago in Korean website. It was during before GenCoupe was available for public in S.Korea, and in that article it clearly stated it was pre-production vehicle.

I went back to the website, "yahoo.co.kr" and tried to find it with no avail.

Whats funny is that your concerning about an issue thats really not that big of a deal. If you honestly believe that GenCoupe will have failure of airbag deployment in production vehicles, you should also be skeptical of all current Hyundai line up of cars. The airbag system is from the same vendor used for all Hyundai cars. I have yet to hear airbag failure in Hyundai cars. HAVE YOU?

LOL at the haters with jealousy and insecurity, they are trying so hard to stir up non-credible controversy just because they can't stand to see honest car company producing amazing cars.
How is consumer safety not that big of a deal? Does it takes someone to die or become permanently disabled for it to become a big deal or what? The top part of the steering wheel rim was pushed forwards several inches. Have you ever even tried to bend a steering wheel? And the blood on the driver's seat has yet to be explained. What was it from, a paper cut?

Furthermore.... what kind of professional test driver pushes the limits of a pre-production testbed on the street? I'm positive that every manufacturer has its own private test course, some of which are meant to explore the limits of the car's performance.

And as for non-credible controversy.... yeah.... like your word of mouth from a source on a "Korean website" which conveniently can no longer be found is credible. This literally took me 3 seconds on this one website, you've probably heard of it..... wait for it.... GOOGLE. If you've got some time to kill, go ahead and read each complaint and issue on the second link. and there's a recall too....

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...a_hyundai.html
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...i_airbags.html

recall (two people actually DIED from airbag failure in an Elantra)
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...mer&id=6082104

I didn't bother to look into it any further because I could care less (though I know you do, so have fun!) so there might be even more. Get back to us when the Genesis coupe's sales kick everyone's asses and people here on AZ start trading in their cars for Hyundais in noteworthy numbers. You take this too much to heart... all of your posts are about how great Hyundais are and how much other manufacturers "copy" and aren't as good as Hyundai. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were the jealous and insecure one.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Racer

Hey "I go to Costco"

You said."How is consumer safety not that big of a deal? Does it takes someone to die or become permanently disabled for it to become a big deal or what? The top part of the steering wheel rim was pushed forwards several inches. Have you ever even tried to bend a steering wheel? And the blood on the driver's seat has yet to be explained. What was it from, a paper cut? "

Safety is important. DUH!!, but your argument is invalid because this is involving PRE-PRODUCTION car. Come back and cry about this IF PRODUCTION car fails to deploy airbag.

You said,"Furthermore.... what kind of professional test driver pushes the limits of a pre-production testbed on the street? I'm positive that every manufacturer has its own private test course, some of which are meant to explore the limits of the car's performance. "

Dont you know that every car company test out their cars in the street before releasing it to the public? If you think that car company only tests their new cars in race track, your dumbass. As for that test driver speeding and pushing the limits, i dont know, why dont you fly to S.korea and ask him personally.

You said, "And as for non-credible controversy.... yeah.... like your word of mouth from a source on a "Korean website" which conveniently can no longer be found is credible. This literally took me 3 seconds on this one website, you've probably heard of it..... wait for it.... GOOGLE. If you've got some time to kill, go ahead and read each complaint and issue on the second link. and there's a recall too...."

I tried to find it in the korean website, now there are about 10,000 pages regarding GenCoupe. I dont have time to waste looking for each page just to prove you wrong, lol.

ALso, the first two website you have provided, it doenst even work. At least post up a working website to make your argument credible. You dont even know the basics of argument.

And provide me with the SOURCE and QOUTE about two person dying as result of airbag failure. I bet your talking out of your ass,

Also for the third website you have provided, it is regarding PASSENGER airbag, not driver. Last time i checked, the pre-production GenCoup issue was driver airbag.

By the way, Every car company has Passenger airbag problem, look at the following website:

1) NISSAN

http://www.ridelust.com/nissan-recal...rbag-problems/

2) Ford and GM

http://www.airbagonoff.com/Airbag%20Recalls.htm

3) GM 2009 impala

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=133430

4) BMW

http://www.newsinferno.com/archives/3646

5) SUZUKI

http://www.lemonlawclaims.com/suzuki...ag_problem.htm

6) Mercedes

http://www.scribd.com/doc/4882014/pr...ion-19-08-2008

7) Dodge

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...5BC0A9679C8B63

8) Chrysler

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...ler_airbag.htm

9) Lexus

http://www.autospies.com/news/Lexus-...Airbags-18416/

Virtuall every car company has airbag problems, not only Hyundai. Why are you nit picking Hyundai only?

I suggest you ride bicycle wherever you go from now because every car manufacture has airbag problem! LOL

Now, put your tail behind your ass and Go back to Costco..............
Old 11-24-2008, 07:13 AM
Busting some beats...

.....What I'm trying to understand is how your nit picking everyone for calling the defects on this car and/or Hyundai in general. Most of the posters on this thread have said that is a very nice car, they just wouldn't drive one....and based on that crash picture....i think that pushes the boundaries a little further. Its like lets say....a Neon SRT-4.....fun to drive....but would I own one....hell to the f*ck no. I don't find the need to be an ass about things on a forum....
Old 11-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Flat black lol

still not fan of the cheap red interior but carbon fiber looks good

Old 11-24-2008, 03:42 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

the flat black looks pretty cool. but i love those wheels. are those aftermarkets?

and i think the genesis logo looks funny on that car.

will the US version get that logo like the sedan?
Old 11-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
The flat black makes it look like a toy car.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,767 Likes on 806 Posts
wow look at the differences in the center stacks. Is this a trim level difference or re-engineering?

Old 11-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts
different trim level. the bottom must be like a premium model cause the center stack has heated seats and looks like auto climate control.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:46 AM

Safety is important. DUH!!, but your argument is invalid because this is involving PRE-PRODUCTION car. Come back and cry about this IF PRODUCTION car fails to deploy airbag.
ALso, the first two website you have provided, it doenst even work. At least post up a working website to make your argument credible. You dont even know the basics of argument.

And provide me with the SOURCE and QOUTE about two person dying as result of airbag failure. I bet your talking out of your ass,

Also for the third website you have provided, it is regarding PASSENGER airbag, not driver. Last time i checked, the pre-production GenCoup issue was driver airbag.

Once again you come up without a source, and yet, you say I'm making it up. How convenient, I just right clicked the two links in my post you were talking about, and they work just fine. And I didn't edit them because there's a 5 minute rule.

Here are the links, same exact ones from my original post:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...a_hyundai.html
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...i_airbags.html

Here's a link you posted about Chrysler, which happens to be from the same website as above

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...ler_airbag.htm

Originally Posted by article
Federal safety regulators are investigating consumer reports of air bag failure, and inadvertent deployment in the 2001 to 2003 Hyundai Elantra.

Two people were killed in Elantra crashes when the air bags failed to deploy, according to the NHTSA report.
Straight out of the 1st link. Feel free to prove me wrong when the link magically works for you again.

You said,"Furthermore.... what kind of professional test driver pushes the limits of a pre-production testbed on the street? I'm positive that every manufacturer has its own private test course, some of which are meant to explore the limits of the car's performance. "
^I didn't change this quoted part at ALL.... I bolded it in my original post, and you left it in bold.... lets keep this in mind as we move along.

Dont you know that every car company test out their cars in the street before releasing it to the public? If you think that car company only tests their new cars in race track, your dumbass. As for that test driver speeding and pushing the limits, i dont know, why dont you fly to S.korea and ask him personally.

I never said they only test drive it on the race track. I said whoever pushes the limit on the street like that, and to elaborate on what I said, whoever pushes a car on the street like that (once again, without a source) in a manner to cause a collision like THAT is irresponsible. Quit putting words in my mouth.

And no interest to go to South Korea, hear its beautiful though. I'm sure you've been there several times to visit the assembly factory to drool over Elantras being built though.

I tried to find it in the korean website, now there are about 10,000 pages regarding GenCoupe. I dont have time to waste looking for each page just to prove you wrong, lol.
Don't even bother trying to address the point if you're going to dodge it. You have no proof, thank you for playing, see ya next time!

Virtuall every car company has airbag problems, not only Hyundai. Why are you nit picking Hyundai only?

I suggest you ride bicycle wherever you go from now because every car manufacture has airbag problem! LOL

Now, put your tail behind your ass and Go back to Costco..............
I'm nitpicking Hyundai because its relevant to the thread and it makes you itch so much, which in turn amuses me. Other people like Hyundai too but they don't care enough to bother. You on the other hand, are desperate enough to post pictures of Hyundais and saying that other manufacturers other than Acura are copying them. Try going to a Ford forum and saying the new Taurus is an Elantra ripoff or whatever, then come back and post a link of them ripping you a new one.

And you should back to the "hardons for Hyundais" or whatever forum it is that's your homepage.... that way you can play limp biscuit with all the other Hyundai fanboys.... I bet you'll finish last on purpose.

Quick Reply: Hyundai: Genesis News