Honda: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
LOL, they're so behind they're actually ahead...
How they are ahead in sales is beyond most. They are behind in design, motors, trans, and just about every thing else.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
Hey, no one said it was PW Tuesday.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
You may be right from a marketing standpoint...as an enthusiast I say, if you want a mechanical gearbox get the real thing and deal with a clutch pedal..otherwise get a slushbox...
Why do you have this mindset that if it doesn't have a clutch pedal then it's better off being a slushbox? F1, WRC, Le Mans, etc. all use automated "manual" gearboxes. It's simply an evolution of the automatic transmission.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by knavinusa
Why do you have this mindset that if it doesn't have a clutch pedal then it's better off being a slushbox? F1, WRC, Le Mans, etc. all use automated "manual" gearboxes. It's simply an evolution of the automatic transmission.
That is a personal opinion..I do not like robotic gearboxes and dual clutch gizmos...I love the fact that I could get the tL is a traditional manual transmission and I'm afraid of the day twhen that option will no longer be offered in production cars (I hope never)

Quite few people must still have my "mindset"...for example the BMW M5 later offered a traditional 6 speed manual after lots of pressure from loyalists and potential customers.....
Old 11-09-2010, 08:17 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,594 Posts
LOL, I guess that's why there's no place for me here

Colin, what's your take on the new CEO speech and what it means to folks like yourself?
Old 11-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
That is a personal opinion..I do not like robotic gearboxes and dual clutch gizmos...I love the fact that I could get the tL is a traditional manual transmission and I'm afraid of the day twhen that option will no longer be offered in production cars (I hope never)

Quite few people must still have my "mindset"...for example the BMW M5 later offered a traditional 6 speed manual after lots of pressure from loyalists and potential customers.....
Well, here's my take on it:
- I'd rather have a dual-clutch than a manual if the shifts feel crappy
- Manuals aren't likely to be phased out, just because they are still incredibly popular, especially in Europe/Asia. North America is not a good representation of consumer preference as a whole.
- I'd take a dual-clutch over a slushbox.

I'm not trying to rag on you for liking manuals, because we're enthusiasts after all, but your post read like "Manuals should be manuals, and autos should be autos. It's pointless to produce a manual that shifts itself."
Old 11-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Senior Moderator

I used to be that way but then i opened my eyes to advancement (a little something Acura calls "Acura Advance" but yet have failed to even come close to rofl) The DSG style trans are so much faster more efficient and FAR better for spirited driving. Give me one of them any day of the week!
Old 11-10-2010, 12:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I used to be that way but then i opened my eyes to advancement (a little something Acura calls "Acura Advance" but yet have failed to even come close to rofl) The DSG style trans are so much faster more efficient and FAR better for spirited driving. Give me one of them any day of the week!
I did drive them and I definitely do not like them....I keep my manual...
Old 11-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
The thing with reliability and luxury is that a majority of people that buy a luxury car aren't concerned with reliability because, well they can afford to fix it. The problem is that the people that can't afford to fix them, buy them, and then complain about reliability. Not to say that luxury car companies aren't concerned with reliability, it's just not their top selling point. Without reliability, Toyota, Honda, et al wouldn't have a top selling point.
I think that is a bunch of bull and your stereotyping rich and wealthy people in this regard. No matter how much money you have, normal hardworking wealthy people who use common sense and logic on every aspect of their life and any bit of education will realize that flushing their money down the toilet on a depreciating product to keep it running is not the definition of luxury I think people who do that on a BMW, MB, and Audi and think they are better than anyone else just by the stupid name on their car is living in a shallow world out of touch with reality!

Last edited by smarty666; 11-10-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
BMW is an acquired taste. Materials are high quality, but the design has always been minimalist.
Exactly, I do think the light color interior on the Bimmer helps it but its still blah and bland. As you said, though the material quality is high, its boring to look at and something you'd have to live with.

Audi's interior is absolutely gorgeous just like the exterior designs. Acura to me is in between Audi and BMW. Acura has nice textures and lines to look at but the amount of plastic and rattles the car gets is getting ridiculous in my opinion.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 3 series has been around what 6-7 years now? I think the interior will look older and blander. German interiors are stark and seem less inviting to those used to Asian cars.

The TL interior is well done but has many buttons, no optional wood and looks similar to an Accord. That said Acura interiors have always been well done in most cases.

Audi has been considered one of the leaders in interior design and quality for sometime now. You never hear any review saying "the TL interior is the standard" in contrast.

Also Audi and BMW offer much customization. If we elevate to cars like the S5, 5/7 series, Alpina, RS cars and even basic S-line Audi's the choices are amazing. White leather, 10 different woods, real aluminum or carbon fiber, suede headliners, semi-analine leathers, the list goes on.

I mean its clear which is built to a price point and which is built for what the consumer wants and people that have a higher standard. Thus why one is luxury and the other "smart" luxury whatever that means.

(FYI its hard to ignore the jibbersish)!
Old 11-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by LessisBestmakingendsmeet
The 3 series has been around what 6-7 years now?
Old 11-10-2010, 10:24 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Acura needs to work on insuring that the next generation of young buyers 'lust' for the brand like the previous ones did for the Integra. This aspect is sorely missing right now.
Ding, Ding, Ding!!!

So you do understand why there's so much bitching and complaining around here.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
Didn't it come out in 2005? That would be 6 years going on 7.....
Old 11-10-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 708 Likes on 427 Posts
You see, (I apologize in advance if this come as fanboy talk...it is not....I was one of the biggest supporter of "German superiority" in the past...until I opened my eyes) there is "smart" technology equipment and "my penis is bigger than yours" (where Germans are specialized)technology equipment.

8 speed may make a little bit of sense in very big displacement engines (after all Lexus did introduce it in the LS) it doesn't and it is frankly ridiculous on a smaller powerplant...Lexus still offer 6 speed automatic on their V6 engines..why do you think is that??....the little A4 4 cylinder blender engine with an 8 speed is plain ridiculous if not pathetic...weight and waste...another example of German sometime snonsensical "innovation"..some MB models have 2 reverse gear....plainly ridiculous...additional weight and cost for what??

Smart technology and innovation is the vectoring AWD system (with Audi precipitously copying the concept), the lane departure adaptive cruise control (Nissan), the variable timing (Honda), dual scroll turbochargers (IHI), cabin microfilter (Lexus), navigation system (Honda) etc....

Japanese tend to excel at "smart" innovation in the automotive world....most of us Japanese car admirers are attracted to their elegant solutions, hate for waste and unnecessary complication, the Zen-like approach to innovation, cost effective technology...we profoundly dislike the German pissing context "panzer" attitude....

I give you an example.....if the Japanese decided to make a Bugatti Veyron type of car they would have not have designed a horrendously complicated W16 engine with 4 turbochargers...they would probably have developed an automotive gas turbine (pioneered by Chrysler in the 50's and 60's) weighting a fraction, conceptually simpler and with with tremendous power.......

The Germans gave up on the Wankel engine because the shortcoming were considered "unworkable" (reliability and oil consumption) and basically sold the rights to Mazda for a song......and look what happened next....
You do sound like a fanboy. You're wrong for the simple reason that when Audi switched from 6 sp to 8 sp on the exact same A4 2.0T, they improved city and highway MPG and the transmission also feels smoother. It's not a "my penis is bigger" feature, it's simply better, and in quantifiable and meaningful ways.

I think the pejorative tone of your posts betrays your lack of objectivity in this matter and clearly your judgement is clouded by something.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by Yumcha
For me, the interior of the Acura is tied with Audi. BMW a distant 5th place.
I agree if you compare the A4, TL and 3, although the A4 has somewhat finer-grained plastics and trims, and there are trims available that are much better than the Acura. For example my S-Line trim has alcantara and real aluminum, you can't get that in the Acura. The 3-series is definitely behind both of those cars.

However, we were talking about the brands and not the lower-tiered models. As a brand, Audi and BMW are above Acura by virtue of being able to charge more for a comparable and because they offer higher-end models. If all Acura, Audi and BMW had were these three cars I'd agree that they're at the same level. But that's not how it works.

And for the record, I don't think for a second that my A4 is more of a luxury car than a TL, I see them as equals. As a brand however, Audi is definitely the higher luxury brand.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by smarty666
I think that is a bunch of bull and your stereotyping rich and wealthy people in this regard. No matter how much money you have, normal hardworking wealthy people who use common sense and logic on every aspect of their life and any bit of education will realize that flushing their money down the toilet on a depreciating product to keep it running is not the definition of luxury I think people who do that on a BMW, MB, and Audi and think they are better than anyone else just by the stupid name on their car is living in a shallow world out of touch with reality!
Got to be the longest sentence I've ever read, lol! But, good point nonetheless!
Old 11-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LessisBestmakingendsmeet

Audi has been considered one of the leaders in interior design and quality for sometime now. You never hear any review saying "the TL interior is the standard" in contrast.
Who says that Audi is considered "the standard"?? Maybe so in their most luxurious offerings (A8, top end A6, etc...) why someone would consider an A4 the "standard" baffles me (and many others).

Actually many (includind media outlets) consider Lexus being the "standard" when it comes to build quality and craftmanship.

While the TL is not considered "the standard" (whatever that means for you...) its interiors has attracted only praise...,even people (again, including some media publication) that find the car outside styling basically hideous love the interiors.

Also Audi and BMW offer much customization. If we elevate to cars like the S5, 5/7 series, Alpina, RS cars and even basic S-line Audi's the choices are amazing. White leather, 10 different woods, real aluminum or carbon fiber, suede headliners, semi-analine leathers, the list goes on.
Extremely good point...you put your finger on it.

The Germans offer extremely vast customization options and many different trims...in Europe even more than here...the array of engines and trim level (and customization packages within the trim level) for the 3 Series is mind boggling over there...and all of this increases cost

I mean its clear which is built to a price point and which is built for what the consumer wants and people that have a higher standard. Thus why one is luxury and the other "smart" luxury whatever that means.
Asian premium brands more rational and standardized lineups doesn't necessarily means they are built to a "price point" actually in many cases price gaps are almost gone....nor I think that more customization means automatically more "luxury", except in the minds of some marketer.....luxury is build quality, finishing, technology equipment, service level and ultra top end offering (Asians still lack in the latter....and it is by design, not because they are not able to build a V-12 sedan)

Built for what the consumer want?? Hmm Asian premium brands are selling as much as their German counterparts (with Lexus outselling everybody else)

Price differences when they do exist are basically begligible (if you can spend 40k for a car, you can shell out 42K or 43K)

So people buy Asian premium brands not because price point consideration.....I never met someone that bought an Infiniti or an Acura because it was cheaper than a competing Audi or BMW model...that argument is frankly silly nowadays....

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-10-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
I agree if you compare the A4, TL and 3, although the A4 has somewhat finer-grained plastics and trims, and there are trims available that are much better than the Acura. For example my S-Line trim has alcantara and real aluminum, you can't get that in the Acura. The 3-series is definitely behind both of those cars.

However, we were talking about the brands and not the lower-tiered models. As a brand, Audi and BMW are above Acura by virtue of being able to charge more for a comparable and because they offer higher-end models. If all Acura, Audi and BMW had were these three cars I'd agree that they're at the same level. But that's not how it works.

And for the record, I don't think for a second that my A4 is more of a luxury car than a TL, I see them as equals. As a brand however, Audi is definitely the higher luxury brand.
How is BMW going to charge more for comparable than Acura? when there is nothing comparable. $2000 woth of free maintainance over 4 years. $3K worth of DI engine. $2K worth of 6/8speed transmissions. Vented rear brakes, LED DRL. .
and there is that big Shipping cost for car moving from Germany to US. add another $2k.
Unlike 70% to 80% domestic content of Acura TL.

only differenc is tech package that comes standard with Acura. and it is cheaper that way as buying bulk navigation/rear camera cheaper than customzing as options
Old 11-10-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm the Firestarter

So people buy Asian premium brands not because price point consideration.....I never met someone that bought an Infiniti or an Acura because it was cheaper than a competing Audi or BMW model...that argument is frankly silly nowadays....
I bought a TSX because it was cheaper than a 3-series.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator

I bought my TL because it was cheaper. In the end it was much more expensive though after having to pay for all the trans rebuilds.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Colin, what's your take on the new CEO speech and what it means to folks like yourself?
I don't see what the fuss is about. This is nothing that we didn't already know. New engines? Duh, of course there are new engines in the works, and right on schedule. New transmissions? Yup, one is already out, and we know that when they developed the DSG for the motorcycle, they also made a car version. New Twin IMA system. We've already been talking about it for a year or more, but I'll really be interested to see what they came up with. Acura as smart luxury? This happened (in my mind) simultaneously with the abandonment of Tier 1 so it's also old 'news'

Originally Posted by dom
Ding, Ding, Ding!!!

So you do understand why there's so much bitching and complaining around here.
I've always understood why there's so much bitching. I do think that its a little hypocritical and self-serving though.

If Acura produces a sub-TSX, Integra(ish) car it won't be the car for most of the complainers here. It won't be RWD, it won't have a V-8 (or V-6 for that matter), it won't be diesel, it won't be turbo and I doubt it would even have a 6AT. (Ok, maybe the 6AT could happen, it would be the most logical place to debut a 4 cylinder version of that transmission.)

So this would be a car for a younger generation to get excited about. It won't satisfy anyone who has left the brand for the reasons above.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Banned

You do sound like a fanboy. You're wrong for the simple reason that when Audi switched from 6 sp to 8 sp on the exact same A4 2.0T, they improved city and highway MPG and the transmission also feels smoother. It's not a "my penis is bigger" feature, it's simply better, and in quantifiable and meaningful ways.

I think the pejorative tone of your posts betrays your lack of objectivity in this matter and clearly your judgement is clouded by something.
Improvement in fuel consumption can be due to other factors such as different engine tuning, etc...

Smoother, I dont know about that..."smart" technology is weighting cost and benefit of something..

My judgement is clouded by the simple fact that nowadays the Japanese overall have a better value proposition, period....if one day the Germans will or the Koreans or the Indians that will condition my choice....objectivity is also the 'courage" and capability to change your own views as the circumstances dictate an the ability to avoid being fooled by glossy marketing materials..I was a big supporter of German cars in the past...up to, let's say 15 years ago they were simply the best overall...no longer the case....

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-10-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Banned

You, not the vast majority of people

Let's see.....between a basic TSX (2.4 4 cylinder) and a basic 328 there is a difference of about 3.5K (~10% on a 30K car)

Actually I have to say that the Bimmer, at least mechanically, is probably the better value proposition here (hat off!!!), bigger, more powerful, smoother 6 inline engine, RWD and the supposedly superior German build quality that make you drool.

So either:

- You could not really afford a 30K car so 10% price difference for you was an insuperable barrier

- You do not know how to compare vehicles or do your math....in the same situation I would have gone for the Bimmer hands down.....

So what is it????

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-10-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Banned

I bought my TL because it was cheaper. In the end it was much more expensive though after having to pay for all the trans rebuilds.
Cheaper than what??
Old 11-10-2010, 01:40 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I've always understood why there's so much bitching. I do think that its a little hypocritical and self-serving though.
Self serving? In an internet car forum impossible.

If Acura produces a sub-TSX, Integra(ish) car it won't be the car for most of the complainers here. It won't be RWD, it won't have a V-8 (or V-6 for that matter), it won't be diesel, it won't be turbo and I doubt it would even have a 6AT. (Ok, maybe the 6AT could happen, it would be the most logical place to debut a 4 cylinder version of that transmission.)

So this would be a car for a younger generation to get excited about. It won't satisfy anyone who has left the brand for the reasons above.
I don't think many here would have a problem with such a car. I know I wouldn't, then again I've been getting this car since 1997 or so. So it will be status quo for me.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:44 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

What am I missing here, weren't Acura, Infiniti and Lexus founded on the principal of offering a luxury car at a value (cheaper) price?

I know when I bought my TSX it wasn't necessarily cheaper than a base 323 but it was far better equipped. Which is essence, makes it cheaper.

Now that they're more established brands, I'm sure price isn't the only thing that attracts buyers, but no doubt it still helps.

Last edited by dom; 11-10-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dom
What am I missing here, weren't Acura, Infiniti and Lexus founded on the principal of offering a luxury car at a value (cheaper) price?

I know when I bought my TSX it wasn't necessarily cheaper than a base 323 but it was far better equipped. Which is essence, makes it cheaper.

Now that they're more established brands, I'm sure price isn't the only thing that attracts buyers, but no doubt it still helps.
Interesting point.....in my case it helps evaluating the company and their value proposition...still if I really want that particular German car I buy it......when I got my Acura TL I did not really care about price differences of 10% or more...if I wanted a 3 Series (or even a 5 Series ) I would have bought it.....and nobody should care about the current price differences between comparable German and Asian cars when they are in the market for a 30K+ dollar car....and people, on average, actually don't...so the German supporters claim that people buy Asians premium cars because of price is silly.

German brands significantly outlease everybody else...my personal idea about the reasons:

- Wealthy individuals that can claim it as business expenses in the top range of the spectrum, quick turnover, etc..

- At the low end range and in between, wannabes stretching their monthly budget to the limit (and leasing is usually the cheapest way to access a particular car) trying to put their behind on the seat of that particular brand, impressed by the image and top end vehicles....usually these people are very receptive to marketing "stimulation".

- Secondarily, reliability considerations.

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-10-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:35 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

.....and nobody should care about the current price differences between comparable German and Asian cars when they are in the market for a 30K+ dollar car....and people, on average, actually don't...so the German supporters claim that people buy Asians premium cars because of price is silly.
Unless you have hard evidence to back any of that up, I'm going to disagree.

I could probably compare German cars to their Japanese competition and show how 9 times out of 10, the Japanese car will be cheaper, similarly equipped.

In my world, price is an important factor in determining what I buy and I thought, that the majority of Acura buyers were the same. At least that's been my perspective.

I'd be interested in hearing Colin's thoughts on this since he deals with buying customers on a daily basis.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,817 Likes on 13,991 Posts
Originally Posted by dom

Speaking from personal experience, price and maintenance costs were factors indeed on what I chose to purchase...

That being said, what I'd do for a Porsche.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dom
Unless you have hard evidence to back any of that up, I'm going to disagree.

I could probably compare German cars to their Japanese competition and show how 9 times out of 10, the Japanese car will be cheaper, similarly equipped.

In my world, price is an important factor in determining what I buy and I thought, that the majority of Acura buyers were the same. At least that's been my perspective.

I'd be interested in hearing Colin's thoughts on this since he deals with buying customers on a daily basis.
10% price differences on premium cars is nothing....actually I posted the example where the 328 is actually a better value buy than the TSX.

I do not have statistical data to back my statement, however I never met anyone that bought a Japanese premium car because was cheaper than a similar German car....the main reasons they went for the Japanese were:

1) They liked the car better, period

2) Afraid of German perceived less reliability and related maintenance costs (hint: BMW offer its maintenance free package not because they are particularly generous...because they had to fight that perception still in the marketplace) that is one of the driver of the higher lease rate among Germans.

3) A third distant reason, bigger service network (with the Japanese premium cars in many cases you can fall back on their regular mainstream brand network for service)

I never bought a Japanese car because of purchasing price, nor my family, friends and any people I did talk to....again, no statistical evidence but just based on the people I hang around with....
Old 11-10-2010, 03:44 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I do not have statistical data to back my statement, however I never met anyone that bought a Japanese premium car because was cheaper than a similar German car....the main reasons they went for the Japanese were:

1) They liked the car better, period

2) Afraid of German perceived less reliability and related maintenance costs (hint: BMW offer its maintenance free package not because they are particularly generous...because they had to fight that perception still in the marketplace) that is one of the driver of the higher lease rate among Germans.

3) A third distant reason, bigger service network (with the Japanese premium cars in many cases you can fall back on their regular mainstream brand network for service)

I never bought a Japanese car because of purchasing price, nor my family, friends and any people I did talk to....again, no statistical evidence but just based on the people I hang around with....
My experiences have been almost the opposite. In that most buy the Japanese car because of the price of entry. Of course some may also like the car better, can't argue that. I genuinely liked my 04 TSX more than I did a 3 series sedan. The fact that it was cheaper was a nice bonus. But I wasn't prepared to ante up the 40K+ (Canada) needed to get a similarly equipped 3 series.

But your 2nd point supports what we've been saying. Price and maintenance costs can go hand in hand. Lower maintenance costs and lower purchase price = a lower cost of ownership. A Japanese car is usually the perceived better overall value, on most fronts. And its what Lexus, Acura and Infiniti used to build their brands and what Hyundai is now trying with the Genesis and Equas.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dom
My experiences have been almost the opposite. In that most buy the Japanese car because of the price of entry. Of course some may also like the car better, can't argue that. I genuinely liked my 04 TSX more than I did a 3 series sedan. The fact that it was cheaper was a nice bonus. But I wasn't prepared to ante up the 40K+ (Canada) needed to get a similarly equipped 3 series.

But your 2nd point supports what we've been saying. Price and maintenance costs can go hand in hand. Lower maintenance costs and lower purchase price = a lower cost of ownership. A Japanese car is usually the perceived better overall value, on most fronts. And its what Lexus, Acura and Infiniti used to build their brands and what Hyundai is now trying with the Genesis and Equas.
Canada is probably different.....another market reality...you guys, on average, have less disposable income than the US (I lived in Vancouver for 3 years), Acura sells a dressed up Civic in Canada, not here in the US....going back to my TSX-328 example is clear...I do not think that if you really want to buy a 328 you cannot fork an extra 10% (for a better overall value car)

Just walk on an Acura or Infiniti dealer you will find the comparable German products in their used car lot and vice-versa.
Senior Moderator

So in other words if they did it will be a CRZ with a beak. Not much excitement there.
Senior Moderator

Cheaper than what??
A nicely loaded 3 series.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dom
But your 2nd point supports what we've been saying. Price and maintenance costs can go hand in hand. Lower maintenance costs and lower purchase price = a lower cost of ownership. A Japanese car is usually the perceived better overall value, on most fronts.
You are absolutely right, the Japanese have a better value proposition on average...but that does not make them less luxurious in the segments where they do compete.

Then we have to differentiate among Japanese brands too....Lexus seems to be a notch above the other two in terms of image, they are the "Japanese Mercedes", Inifinti tries to go after BMW in driving pleasure and Acura focus on innovation and technology.....you could draw a loose parallel with Audi (again in the segments where they do compete)

Remember a better value proposition is appreciated even by people that can fork the extra dollars without much of a problem.....do you think someone buying a LS cannot afford a 7 Series or an S Class??
Old 11-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Canada is probably different.....another market reality...you guys, on average, have less disposable income than the US (I lived in Vancouver for 3 years), Acura sells a dressed up Civic in Canada, not here in the US....going back to my TSX-328 example is clear...I do not think that if you really want to buy a 328 you cannot fork an extra 10% (for a better overall value car)

Just walk on an Acura or Infiniti dealer you will find the comparable German products in their used car lot and vice-versa.
you're stupid if you're really saying people won't care to pay extra 10% in buying a car.. how old are you?
Old 11-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Banned

A nicely loaded 3 series.

Really???

A 335i (RWD) cost a tad less than a TL SH-AWD...the 335ix has basically the same MSRP (few hundreds more).....I'm sure yu can get some nice options with just 2-3000 dollars more.

Same thing.....if you cannot afford a price difference of less than 10% for a car you really want on a 40 grand purchase you cannot really afford that kind of car...you stretching it is that simple....wait a bit more before graduating to the premium segment...
Old 11-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by yohan81718
you're stupid if you're really saying people won't care to pay extra 10% in buying a car.. how old are you?
If I really want to buy that particular object (car or whatever) I pay the little extra....we are not talking about soap or toothpaste....turn yoru common sense on before posting...
Old 11-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Can we trash this troll thread yet? Or at least PW it with nonsensical babble?

Last edited by Majofo; 11-10-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Honda: Development and Technology News