Honda: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 01:11 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
There's one other factor that could be limiting the number of gears, space. I do not know of any 7 or 8 speed AT in a transverse application. With a longitudinal mounting, it's fairly straightforward to extend the gearbox slightly to accommodate the extra gears.

With the much tighter transverse engine/transaxle engine packaging it's probably more difficult to squeeze another gear or two in there and still get it to fir into the width of the engine bay.

Many manufacturers use 3rd party suppliers for the longitudinal gearbox's both MT and AT. However I believe the majority of auto manufacturers design and manufacture their own transverse gearbox's.
Ah, good point. And the other question is, are more than 6 speeds even necessary? Or it is just an exercise in marketing at this point.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:11 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,916 Likes on 4,315 Posts
Originally Posted by jnc2000
Your going to need a little more then 300hp and a 6sp MT to get a 3600lb car + 200lbs for IMA to reach 60mph in 4 seconds.
He doesn't understand that. When I gave him factual numbers based on the 2011 Mustang GT....he ignore that.

He still SPECULATES that the 6MT TSX will be faster to 60 than an American muscle car.

He can't get it.

Last edited by pttl; 11-09-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:15 PM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
These are not speculation.these are facts.

so what will happen when same engine, SH-AWD, 6MT is put in TSX. timings will go down well below 5 second. more in 4.5 second range.
This is called SPECULATION. Maybe you don't understand the meaning of that word.

Your speculation is a nice fantasy. But real cars don't actually behave the way you speculate.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:17 PM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by iforyou
??
look at this. http://www.vtec.net./news/news-item?news_item_id=935913
Old 11-09-2010, 01:22 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Is that the first time you've seen Temple of Vtec?
Old 11-09-2010, 01:28 PM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by dom
Is that the first time you've seen Temple of Vtec?
Old 11-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Two things: first, reliability has nothing to do with luxury, just ask any Ferrari owner - or heck, any British car owner. Second, Audis aren't that bad in reliability, they're just below average along with all the European luxury. The latest JDS surveys have them at or below BMW level. Not that this has any reflexion on luxury status. Remember when Mercedes had their really bad reliability years a few years back? They didn't turn in their luxury badge because of that, they were simply an unreliable luxury car.
Unreliability is one of the biggest factor that killed Jaguar....

There are still many people thet keep themselves away from Audi because of the well known Audi 100 (5000) series
horror stories....

You can have luxury and top notch reliability...jut ask any Lexus owner...

long term reliability is not as factor in luxury cars, it is true, turnover is quick, many are leased....after that is secondary market problem, outside of anybody radar...but well to do people do get pissed a lot if they have problems with their new cars....Mercedes was seriously worried few years ago about potential consequences on their brand image.

Ferrari (and other cars like it) is a different animal...it is not an everyday car for almost all of its customers...it is a sunday stroll toy (or a track toy) and less reliability may be tolerated.

However I never saw a realiability statistic for Ferrari (or Lamborghini for that matter)
Old 11-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,947 Likes on 14,061 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
Unreliability is one of the biggest factor that killed Jaguar....

There are still many people thet keep themselves away from Audi because of the well known Audi 100 (5000) series
horror stories....

You can have luxury and top notch reliability...jut ask any Lexus owner...

long term reliability is not as factor in luxury cars, it is true, turnover is quick, many are leased....after that is secondary market problem, outside of anybody radar...but well to do people do get pissed a lot if they have problems with their new cars....Mercedes was seriously worried few years ago about potential consequences on their brand image.

Ferrari (and other cars like it) is a different animal...it is not an everyday car for almost all of its customers...it is a sunday stroll toy (or a track toy) and less reliability may be tolerated.

However I never saw a realiability statistic for Ferrari (or Lamborghini for that matter)
We need to differentiate here: daily/regular driving versus a Sunday type car.

If I had spent a ton on a regular driver, I expect some semblance of reliability. I don't care how luxurious or leading edge it is. If my mechanic knows me on a first-name basis, I would be pissed...period.

If I have a track car, different mentality. As well, I know certain ones require alot of upkeep. Different.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by jnc2000
Your going to need a little more then 300hp and a 6sp MT to get a 3600lb car + 200lbs for IMA to reach 60mph in 4 seconds.
It is perfectly doable. After all 4400lb Audi A8 got 0-60 in 4.8seconds.
that car is on 20inch 275 width tires. with only 328 ft-lb of torque.
Any torque figure above 350 ft-lb can deliver the lunch performance. that is way more than current 273 ft-lb.
so you have 15% less weight with less frontal area, more torque to the lighter tire/wheels.
just from weight perspective your already at 4.1 second.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:11 PM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by ssftsx
any torque figure above 350 ft-lb can deliver the lunch performance. That is way more than current 273 ft-lb.
So you have 15% less weight with less frontal area, more torque to the lighter tire/wheels.
Just from weight perspective your already at 4.1 second.
100% PURE SPECULATION!

Welcome to Fantasy Island.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:19 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Yumcha
We need to differentiate here: daily/regular driving versus a Sunday type car.

If I had spent a ton on a regular driver, I expect some semblance of reliability. I don't care how luxurious or leading edge it is. If my mechanic knows me on a first-name basis, I would be pissed...period.

If I have a track car, different mentality. As well, I know certain ones require a lot of upkeep. Different.
Agreed. But the point that Bezelbutt was trying to make is that, just because a car is unreliable, that doesn't disqualify it from being a luxury car. Does it hurt the brand? of course.

His MB example was perfect. For years MB was making unreliable cars. And maybe people wouldn't/won't by a MB because of that unreliability. But those same people probably wouldn't tell you that MB was not a luxury car.

IMO, the 2 things are unrelated. Luxury cars were never known for their reliability, nor it is a requirement for most willing to spend that kind of money.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
Agreed. But the point that Bezelbutt was trying to make is that, just because a car is unreliable, that doesn't disqualify it from being a luxury car. Does it hurt the brand? of course.

His MB example was perfect. For years MB was making unreliable cars. And maybe people wouldn't/won't by a MB because of that unreliability. But those same people probably wouldn't tell you that MB was not a luxury car.

IMO, the 2 things are unrelated. Luxury cars were never known for their reliability, nor it is a requirement for most willing to spend that kind of money.
Good points. Completely different qualities of a car. Reliability is not part of what describes something as luxurious. At least not in 99% of the books for people (I'm guessing some peeps may chime in it is ).
Old 11-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
The thing with reliability and luxury is that a majority of people that buy a luxury car aren't concerned with reliability because, well they can afford to fix it. The problem is that the people that can't afford to fix them, buy them, and then complain about reliability. Not to say that luxury car companies aren't concerned with reliability, it's just not their top selling point. Without reliability, Toyota, Honda, et al wouldn't have a top selling point.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
The thing with reliability and luxury is that a majority of people that buy a luxury car aren't concerned with reliability because, well they can afford to fix it. The problem is that the people that can't afford to fix them, buy them, and then complain about reliability. Not to say that luxury car companies aren't concerned with reliability, it's just not their top selling point. Without reliability, Toyota, Honda, et al wouldn't have a top selling point.
Somewhat disagree, Anil.

I know the rules for getting into the higher-end car bracket: Gotta pay if I want to play. Still, that being said, I'm not going to throw my hard-earned $$$$ at a pile of regardless of how "luxurious" it is. If there is a better alternate, I'll get it. If not, I won't.

I can name many very high-income individuals I know who do not mind the odd servicing or repair but will not tolerate a "glass" car. Rich people don't burn money...
Old 11-09-2010, 02:37 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Ah, good point. And the other question is, are more than 6 speeds even necessary? Or it is just an exercise in marketing at this point.
The A4 8 sp is rated 1 mpg higher in both city and highway than the 6 sp and it supposedly slightly faster 0-60 so it seems like it makes a difference. Mine has 6 sp and I wish I had at least another gear for highway cruising, two would be nice for going over the speed limit.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Team Owner

Somewhat disagree, Anil.

I know the rules for getting into the higher-end car bracket: Gotta pay if I want to play. Still, that being said, I'm not going to throw my hard-earned $$$$ at a pile of regardless of how "luxurious" it is. If there is a better alternate, I'll get it. If not, I won't.

I can name many very high-income individuals I know who do not mind the odd servicing or repair but will not tolerate a "glass" car. Rich people don't burn money...

i'm not saying people don't want a reliable luxury car, just saying that it's not the top most concern for many of the luxury brands.

I was just as concerned about reliability when we picked up the Audi as I would have been even if it were an Acura.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:43 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
I think reliability is a nice to have in the luxury segment. The number one reason people buy these cars because they're desirable, not because they absolutely must rely on them to get them from point A to point B. Reliability is a good quality too but not #1 in the luxury segment. In the mass-market segment reliability is more important. Sure a wealthy person won't like to put up with their luxury car breaking down, but they likely have other options while the car is in the shop, like a 2nd car or a loaner. The mass-market car is more likely to be used as a reliable appliance.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dom

Nobody says that unreliability disqualify a brand from being luxurious....but it hurt them a lot (just ask Jaguar)...as much as a mass market brand if not even more...wealthy individuals are not concerned about cost or lack of option if something happen to their car....they usually hate inconvenience....they have less patience to put up with it, on average, than the regular Joe....

Detroit made a business model to build unreliable crap to sell to average Americans (huge upfront discount, 4-5 years turnover) until the recent recessions (2001 and 2008) put a final nail in the coffin....very little wealthy individials would vhave put up with Detroit chronic low quality.

If unreliability becomes chronic (ask Jaguar again) resale values plummet and the hit on the residual value start to become noticeable even for the well to do (these cars need to be sold down the chain eventually)

Anyway we are not talking about luxury cars here.... the A4 and the 3 Series are not luxury vehicles...they are perfectly on par with competing Acura models, no matter what the top end of the 2 German brands are.....if an A4 driver think in his head that he's driving a more luxurious vehicle than my TL he is delusional.....
Old 11-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
So competitors already have 8 sp across their product range, and Acura is just now getting ready to roll out a 6 sp. Amazing.
You see, (I apologize in advance if this come as fanboy talk...it is not....I was one of the biggest supporter of "German superiority" in the past...until I opened my eyes) there is "smart" technology equipment and "my penis is bigger than yours" (where Germans are specialized)technology equipment.

8 speed may make a little bit of sense in very big displacement engines (after all Lexus did introduce it in the LS) it doesn't and it is frankly ridiculous on a smaller powerplant...Lexus still offer 6 speed automatic on their V6 engines..why do you think is that??....the little A4 4 cylinder blender engine with an 8 speed is plain ridiculous if not pathetic...weight and waste...another example of German sometime snonsensical "innovation"..some MB models have 2 reverse gear....plainly ridiculous...additional weight and cost for what??

Smart technology and innovation is the vectoring AWD system (with Audi precipitously copying the concept), the lane departure adaptive cruise control (Nissan), the variable timing (Honda), dual scroll turbochargers (IHI), cabin microfilter (Lexus), navigation system (Honda) etc....

Japanese tend to excel at "smart" innovation in the automotive world....most of us Japanese car admirers are attracted to their elegant solutions, hate for waste and unnecessary complication, the Zen-like approach to innovation, cost effective technology...we profoundly dislike the German pissing context "panzer" attitude....

I give you an example.....if the Japanese decided to make a Bugatti Veyron type of car they would have not have designed a horrendously complicated W16 engine with 4 turbochargers...they would probably have developed an automotive gas turbine (pioneered by Chrysler in the 50's and 60's) weighting a fraction, conceptually simpler and with with tremendous power.......

The Germans gave up on the Wankel engine because the shortcoming were considered "unworkable" (reliability and oil consumption) and basically sold the rights to Mazda for a song......and look what happened next....

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-09-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by saturno_v
.... the A4 and the 3 Series are not luxury vehicles...they are perfectly on par with competing Acura models, no matter what the top end of the 2 German brands are.....if an A4 driver think in his head that he's driving a more luxurious vehicle than my TL he is delusional.....
Penis envy?

The A4 and 3 series are more luxurious than any TL that has ever been produced and if you think otherwise, it's because 1) you're trying to justify your purchase or 2) you are as blind as SSFTSX.

The quality of materials in the Audi and Bimmer are what make it more luxurious, not just the list of features.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Wellllll...I'd be one to say I think the A4 and 3-Series have as much amenities. And honestly, in SOME ways, I think the Acura comes across as feeling more luxurious for sure than the BMW.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
I find the BMW and Audi interior while nice in quality, very boring.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Senior Moderator

In that particular market segment, I am absolutely indifferent to the quality of the luxury to any of them: CTS, TL, 3-Series, C-Class, A4, S60, G37...

They are all pretty much comparable.

I quite agree with saturno_v.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
Penis envy?

The A4 and 3 series are more luxurious than any TL that has ever been produced and if you think otherwise, it's because 1) you're trying to justify your purchase or 2) you are as blind as SSFTSX.

The quality of materials in the Audi and Bimmer are what make it more luxurious, not just the list of features.

It is beyond me how someone can be more blind....I mention only fake leather (Leatherette in BMW speak) I should not need to add anything else....the seats padding are a joke, no contouring....

In my purchase I did look at every competitor (and even higher), 3 Series, A4, A6, IS, G......my purchase was not influenced at all by price...

When I sit on a 3 series a fully loaded Accord seems more luxurious and modern..is that simple.....

Any person (including owners of A4 and 3 series) looking at my TL dash tell me how luxurious it feels....even if they do not like the car overall

Quality of material?? please you cannot be serious....the TL has more soft plastic than any of the other two Germans...yes they give you few alluminum trims (that blinds lots of people evidently) but you need to look at the overall picture....the A4 trunk panel is basically cardboard...like my 2003 Maxima.....

The only car that smokes the TL in terms of overall finishing is the Lexus IS...Lexus is on another planet when it comes to build quality....

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-09-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yohan81718
4.5 seconds.......
down hill and off of a cliff
Old 11-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Banned

You want to compare this:

and this throwback 70's style:

to this:

Please tell me what you are smoking...I would like to know....

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-09-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:30 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Audi still looks best.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

For me, the interior of the Acura is tied with Audi. BMW a distant 5th place.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:36 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

BMW is an acquired taste. Materials are high quality, but the design has always been minimalist.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
BMW is an acquired taste. Materials are high quality, but the design has always been minimalist.
Acquired taste equals essentially is a nice way of saying, "It's not generally nice looking..."
Old 11-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Gotta love their cup holders that are fragile as glass and explode into a bazillion pieces.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:38 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Acquired taste equals essentially is a nice way of saying, "It's not generally nice looking..."
Minimalist is a style, not a crutch.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:39 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Gotta love their cup holders that are fragile as glass and explode into a bazillion pieces.
Is that what those little round things are for?
Old 11-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Banned

Audi still looks best.
Audi cluster and central consolle style is from the 80's...and I want to be generous....

Lancia Thema 1984....

Old 11-09-2010, 04:41 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Oh noes the stolen design argument!!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Banned

You gotta love the German apologists.....I love when they struggle for excuses.....

high quality material huh?? like the leatherette??
Old 11-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Minimalist is a style, not a crutch.
Sure, and Chevy Aveo's interior is very minimalist too.

I know what you're saying about the minimalist style.

Still, don't find the interior that great for the BMW. And honestly, if I were to get the 3er, it would not be for the interior (I would be on glue if it were).
Old 11-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Audi interior wins for me.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:45 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Sure, and Chevy Aveo's interior is very minimalist too.

I know what you're saying about the minimalist style.

Still, don't find the interior that great for the BMW. And honestly, if I were to get the 3er, it would not be for the interior (I would be on glue if it were).
bimmer interior is not one of my faves either. I don't hate it, but I don't love it.

@ chevy aveo
Old 11-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Banned

but the design has always been minimalist.
Minimalist my sorry ass....BMW built some of the best looking dashboards in the 80s and 90s...they just descended into ugliness....period....

Quick Reply: Honda: Development and Technology News