Honda: Civic News

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 04:42 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Funny, I just drove my friend's 00 Si yesterday after he finally replaced the clutch. The B16 is running great, he took it out a long time ago to drop in a B20 with an ITR head. I didn't get to drive the beast back then but even stock it was fun. I'm curious to try the new Si. Just imagine something like a 6MT TSX with much better reflexes.

I still wish Honda could give us a CTR.... just something raw and nasty. If my teenaged and 20-something friends could build an engine from a CRV longblock that revved to 9000 RPM and made ~200 to the wheels, I'm sure Honda could make something like that too.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
^ other than bikes, you are unlikely to see anything in the Honda lineup with that high a red line. The trend has been set with this new Si - domesticated, higher torque daily driver is the way forward. And to cut costs, bin parts is the way forward - no more one-offs like the turbo in the RDX.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:50 PM

Unfortunately I see that being Honda's path as well. Still, I think they'll at least experiment with at least one or two models/trims. There has always been the Prelude - 4WS, then the Type-SH and closed deck block. Then the S2000, then the RDX. You could even throw the 2G RL in there for having SH-AWD. But I agree, most of it is parts bin and platform sharing. Not necessarily a bad thing, but Honda needs more exciting powertrain components in their lineup... then I wouldn't have a problem with them being shared.

Guess I have a CBR600RR in my future then.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:30 PM
Race Director

^ yes, if you want your high redline thrills, that's the way to go - though that sporty stance on the CBR will diminish your long ride enjoyment as you get older.

Biker, who moved from a CBR600 to a more comfortable bike back in '02.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:28 PM

I can ride a big touring bike at whatever age. But for now I've got a burning urge to get the revs out of my system. Might as well ride a crotch rocket while I can

'sides, I don't plan on riding long distances. In that case, would a HD V-Rod be more suitable?

anyways, uhhh.... the Civic Si sure would sound sweet with the CBR1000RR's engine under the hood. Would also satisfy all the people looking for high revs and no torque!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:17 AM
Race Director

^ no you want something with good ergos, a bit of a fairing and luggage capability and long distance comfort/reliability - Honda makes a couple of bikes like that.

Biker, whose comfort range on his CBR was down to the 20 min commute to work before giving up on crotch rockets.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,461 Likes on 4,981 Posts
The ST1300 is a pretty good bike from what Ive seen. If you want the ultimate highway bike, get the Goldwing. The new viffer might be a good tourer as well, from what Ive read.

But, while age is still on your side, get the go-fast bike. Im getting ready to sell my Triumph

/offtopic
Old 07-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Post AutoBlog

2012 Honda Civic EX Sedan
Industry Staple Grows Up; 4gets How 2 Have Fun

Have you ever stood around, nervously checking your wristwatch as a friend or significant other cycled through their entire wardrobe trying to find the perfect outfit? If your experience were anything like ours, they probably started with a perfectly acceptable look and finished with an ensemble almost exactly the same as the 1st one, albeit painstakingly composed of entirely different pieces of clothing. Most people would never notice the difference without the subtle changes being pointed out to them. The 2012 Honda Civic sedan's new duds are kind of like that.

Honda stylists have taken great pains to tug and pull at virtually every bit of clothing their new Civic is wearing. In spite of this, the car looks largely the same as its 8th-generation predecessor, a model that 1st bowed in 2005. This, despite the fact that the wheelbase has been cropped from 106.3 inches to 105.1 (you'd be hard-pressed to notice unless you had a tape measure handy), a change that helps make it the shortest car in its class.

This all-new-yet-same-as-it-ever-was judgment isn't really the slight it might seem – the 2006 Civic was a groundbreaking design, and its slippery form and delicate features have worn well over the years. At the very least, this new model is still unlikely to be confused for anything else on the road. Honda has determinedly avoided the trend toward oversized headlamps and gaping air intakes, and has similarly shied away from the big-pillar look in favor of improved visibility and cockpit airiness. Even still, we can't help but feel this new Civic has gone a bit conservative – particularly in the rear, where distinctive eagle's head taillamps have given way to more traditional fixtures.

Much the same can be said for the interior, which is actually all-new but looks largely the same as the 2011 model. That means drivers are greeted by an evolution of the Civic's love/hate 2-tier dashboard that puts the front-and-center digital speedometer on a different plane than the analog rev counter and secondary gauges. It's still a configuration that takes a few moments to get used to, but all gauges are easy to read, even in bright sunlight.

The digital speedo is flanked on the right by a crisp new 5-inch Multi-Information Display (i-MID) that displays everything from stereo information to Bluetooth status and trip computer functions with pleasingly high-resolution graphics. You can even set your own wallpaper background. (Side note: Although our EX test subject didn't arrive with GPS, we've driven other models so equipped and the new i-MID's resolution makes the aging main navigation screen look decidedly yestertech).

The Civic's center stack is canted dramatically toward the driver and dominated by the audio controls with an easy layout and Playskool-sized buttons. The head-unit is a bit odd in that it doesn't have its own display – you have to look up and over at i-Mid for information. We got used to this after memorizing the button configuration on the stereo, but would still prefer a station/track readout on the unit itself. All other controls, including those for climate and such are a model of simplicity.

Despite having a shorter wheelbase (all other major exterior measurements are identical to last year's model), the Civic still feels quite roomy on the inside. In fact, Honda says that interior space is up by 3.7 cubic feet, primarily in the form of added shoulder room up front along with increased hip room front and rear. Seating position is typically Honda, which is to say sportier than the norm, low to the floor and legs out. Outward visibility is peerless thanks to the expansive, minivan-like windshield and new, slimmer A-pillars. Hard plastics abound and feel somewhat cheaper than the departing model, but at least they are well textured, with many pieces covered in an interesting mulberry-paper-like surfacing. The new steering wheel is also a winner, with a pleasing size and feel-good new multi-function buttons. Despite the cropped wheelbase, rear legroom is still up there with the very best in its class, although hip- and headroom are somewhat less generous.

Cargo space is up, too, to a still-modest 12.5 cubic-feet (up .5 cubes), though we were dismayed to find no external release on the trunk (necessitating the use of the floor-mounted driver's opener or the key fob), along with no liner or interior grab handle – you'll have to grab sharp metal if you want to avoid getting your hand dirty on the decklid.

Interestingly, Honda has chosen to eschew the latest round of multispeed gearboxes and engine tricks like direct-injection or forced induction in favor of preserving the Civic's lighter-than-average weight and less-costly measures like aero refinements (smooth underbelly, aero fences ahead of the wheels, low drag mirrors, etc.) to deliver class-competitive performance numbers. In our EX model, that means the 1.8-liter SOHC 4-cylinder returns with few modifications, producing 140 horsepower at 6,300 rpm and 128 pound-feet of torque at 4,300 rpm routed through a conventional 5-speed automatic. As hinted at with those power figures, the 1.8 is still a free-revving piece whose wheelhouse is still located largely in its upper registers. Our internal accelerometer suggests a 0-60 time in the low 9-second range, which is right in the heart of the class.

Use of high-strength steel in the 9th-generation Civic's chassis has increased to 55% (up 5%). That change at once once improves rigidity by 10% and lowers body weight by 7% (EX models like ours check in at 2,765 pounds). Thanks in part to the Civic's light weight, EPA fuel economy estimates check in at 28 miles per gallon in the city, 39 on the highway. In predominantly highway driving, our still-green EX (just over 2,700 clicks on the odometer) returned a respectable 32.9 mpg.

Prices for the 2012 Civic start at $16,575 for a basic, row-your-own DX ($15,805 plus $770 delivery), putting it shoulder-to-shoulder with sedans like the Mazda3 and Ford Focus. Opt for the $21,275 (including destination charges) automatic-only EX like our tester and you'll be treated to a power moonroof, hands-free calling, alloy wheels, and a 6-speaker audio system with Bluetooth audio among other features.

If you're wondering why we've left discussion of the Civic's driving dynamics until the very end, it's because it's an unremarkable steer, veering more toward a 'set it and forget it' commuter mindset than something that's likely to be of interest to auto aficionados (who would be better off pursuing the sporty Si model anyhow). It's certainly a refined drive, but 1 would think that a shorter wheelbase and modestly lower weight (between 20 and 58 pounds lighter depending on model) would lead to a friskier-handling car – indeed, Honda claims it to be so – but we found this 2012 Civic to be a humdrum performer that neither encourages or rewards enthusiastic driving.

Chief among the culprits for the white-goods driving experience is the new electronic power steering unit, which includes a slower ratio for less energetic turn-in, along with a more compliant suspension that delivers improved ride quality at the expense of informing the driver. The brakes (upgraded to rear discs on our EX) are unerringly quiet, but we noticed some fade when driving only modestly hard on what few twisty roads Southeastern Michigan has to offer. To be fair, we suspect that the 2012 Civic's absolute limits meet or exceed those of its predecessor in most areas, but it simply doesn't feel as engaging as the outgoing car, and much less than competitors like the Mazda or Ford.

In a remarkable-for-us move, we turned on – and left on – the Civic's green Econ button after messing about with it off for a bit, as we decided we'd rather benefit from the improved fuel economy offered by the miser mode's more deliberate throttle tuning, remapped shift schedule and parsimonious climate control operation. It simply wasn't worth trying to eek out the sliver of additional driving satisfaction promised by the normal mode.

Let's be clear: We're not here to suggest that Honda's careful maturation of the Civic is a mistake – we think the majority of small car buyers will appreciate its improved composure and refinement, and we applaud Honda's engineers for not packing on the pounds. But you're reading this review on Autoblog, and this suggests that you're probably more interested in driving dynamics than the average bear. On this front, the Civic's newfound maturity has come at the expense of liveliness found in both its previous iterations and some of its competitors. Unfortunately, nothing about this new Civic, from its design to its interior appointments to its fuel economy and pricing, has stepped up in exchange to help it stand out from the competition.

Like that indecisive companion desperately trying to find just the right outfit, the 2012 Civic would probably have been a more entertaining date had it just stuck with what it was wearing initially.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
The trend has been set with this new Si - domesticated, higher torque daily driver is the way forward. And to cut costs, bin parts is the way forward - no more one-offs like the turbo in the RDX.
I don't find either of those things a way forward at all. More like, running backward at full speed. That's simply depressing.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:24 AM
Race Director

^ that's the reality if Honda wants to keep profitable. Many of the car designs coming out now were decided upon during the downward spiral of the economy and auto industry. I expect things to improve.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Autocar

Honda is promising a “two generation” step in ride quality in its all-new UK and European designed and engineered Honda Civic.

Set to go on sale in early 2012 after a Frankfurt motor show debut next month, the ninth-generation Civic is also claimed to offer class-leading interior space and dramatic increases in quality and comfort levels.

The current Civic’s ride quality has been much criticised since its 2006 launch. Despite key rivals using fully independent, sophisticated multi-link systems for the rear suspension, Honda has retained the torsion beam rear suspension set-up for the new car.

The new Honda Civic’s development leader, Mitsuru Kariya, claims body rigidity has been greatly improved and the torsion beam strengthened to provide more stable handling at higher speeds. The torsion beam was retained, says Kariya, as its compact design allows cabin space to be maximised.

Chief among the new Civic’s rear suspension developments is an innovative fluid-filled compliance bushing that Kariya claims improves ride performance and handling.

The disguised pictures of this Civic mule testing in Europe reveal an evolution of the current Civic’s shape for the new car although the boot appears to be in the saloon-come-hatchback style of the Skoda Octavia.

Autocar understands the Civic is to finally get the small-capacity diesel it desperately needs in the diesel-orientated family hatchback segment. Honda is currently developing a 1.6-litre turbodiesel engine in Japan. Petrol engines are expected to include new, more powerful and economical versions of today’s 1.4 and 1.8 units.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:42 AM
Race Director

^ Well, they were certainly not claiming that (two generation improvement in ride quality) with the USDM version.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

^ Well, they were certainly not claiming that (two generation improvement in ride quality) with the USDM version.
of course not... for the USDM version they only claimed a 4 generation improvement...
Old 07-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

European Honda Civic 2012 video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K68ZyDLeog
Old 07-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Race Director

Everytime some new model comes out all of the comparisons make it sound like the previous model was a POS. Yeah, I get it, it's somewhat better, but really, the car before was pretty darn good.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:41 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
I've spotted couple of new Civics on the road, and they do look worse in person. :meh:

Hopefully, the Si will look better in person.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:54 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + MS3
I've spotted couple of new Civics on the road, and they do look worse in person. :meh:

Hopefully, the Si will look better in person.
The more I see the sedan the more I hate it. Its just a very soft design. Considering the competition, they really missed the mark.

The coupe on the other hand looks pretty good IMO. Although the wheels look tiny.

Still haven't seen the interior first hand, but I'm not expecting much. The latest C&D mentions that the Focus' interior is far better quality wise. What the hell happened to Honda interiors in the last 3 or 4 years?
Old 07-29-2011, 01:56 PM

Agreed. Its not visually appealing at all. My mom was considering it but she said the interior is horrible. It felt very bargain-basement.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
^^agreed. They've managed to make it look more like an economy car, IMHO.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:27 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Sedan is horrible inside and out.
The only thing it has going for it is the name "Civic"....and the Honda "rep".

If you slapped a Mitsubishi badge on it it would disappear into oblivion.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:56 PM

2012 Honda Civic LX: Scores too low for Consumer Reports to recommend

The redesigned-for-2012 Honda Civic LX scored too low in Consumer Reports testing to be recommended. Let that sink in for a minute. It’s quite a fall.

The Civic has long ranked among CR’s top small sedans, having been a Top Pick as late as 2007. It’s also long been reliable, and we don’t expect that to change in the not-extensively-redesigned 2012 model.

So what happened? The new Civic feels insubstantial with a cheap interior. You don’t get much feature content for the $19,405 that our Civic LX automatic costs, either. That’s a problem given the high bar set in this class by the new-to-market Chevrolet Cruze, the redesigned-for-2012 Ford Focus, and the redesigned-for-2011 Hyundai Elantra.

But a savvy buyer could sit in a showroom and realize those Civic shortcomings. The problems that really hurt the Civic’s score run deeper and they showed up at our test track. Stopping distances are long. The steering is lightly weighted and comes up short on feedback. Body lean appears early in the corners. The ride is marred by frequent short pitches. And road noise still remains an annoying companion.

Not all of the news is bad. Fuel economy is very impressive, despite the Civic’s seemingly low-tech powertrain. There’s decent rear seat room, too.

But that’s just not enough. With all of the recent small sedan competition and a redesign that dropped the ball, now there are a lot better choices than a 2012 Civic.
http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...medium=twitter

But, but, but....the tires wear evenly!!!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
On cnn:
http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/01/auto...bin&hpt=hp_bn3

"Consumer Reports: New Honda Civic is a loser

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Honda recently rolled out a new, redesigned version of its ultra-popular Civic compact car, but according to Consumer Reports magazine it's actually worse than the old one. In fact, it's the first Civic ever to score too low to earn the magazine's recommendation."
Old 08-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Race Director

That can't be good for sales. Honda is probably going into full panic mode and will have to come up with some big changes for the MMC.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:10 PM

That can't be good for sales. Honda is probably going into full panic mode and will have to come up with some big changes for the MMC.
Like longer coolant flush intervals?
Old 08-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Race Director

....and again, this was the car they put off by a MY to "improve" it.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I hope so, but then again, honda will want to see that sales are actually low first. If just a bunch of publications/websites are bitching, its not enough.

Still, i hope for a very significant MMC for the civic. I was thinking about getting another civic for my family (currently have an EX sedan), but after going to look at them in person, I decided not to.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:13 PM

When CR bad mouths a Honda vehicle, you know its pretty damn bad. Usually they suckle on Hondas teet no matter what they put out.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I saw the horrible news on NBC Nightly News tonight.

Has Honda become the new pre-bankruptcy GM?
Old 08-01-2011, 07:03 PM

Yep. They have their very own Buick in Acura as well.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
I dont think consumers really care about consumer reports. They gave the worst ratings to new VW Jetta but its sales sky rocket.
This consumer reports created alot of hooploa about new GX460 rollover but it has no impact on its sales apart from Japan earth quake. Infact Lexus GX has the highest resale value among V8 SUVs.

Best upscale sport sedan. What is sport & upscale inside HS? and a car that cannot match EPA ratings atleast should not even be on the list as it is misrepresentation. This just show how retarded consumer reports has become. that HS250 is so expensive that is cheaper to lease & own BMW 335d. and that is likey to get better fuel mpg.

http://moneywatch.bnet.com/spending/...-mileage/3033/
Best Upscale Sports Sedan: Lexus HS 250

Though this hybrid Lexus won the class with an average of 31 mpg (vs. EPA 35 city, 34 highway), it was not otherwise a favorite of CR reviewers. Based on the technology in corporate stablemate Toyota Camry Hybrid, the HS 250 put off reviewers with a narrow cabin and jiggly ride. List price for this hybrid ranges from $36,330 to $39,100.

Well consumer reports say Civic is less agile and noiser than previous. it wont take too long to prove them wrong. and what is mean by quality of materials. Does quality only include visual quality?
http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...-Civic-compact

Consumer Reports' test drivers found the car less agile and noisier than the previous Civic. They said the quality of the interior had deteriorated, too.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110802/...#ixzz1TqXvXoal
Old 08-02-2011, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
I dont think consumers really care about consumer reports. They gave the worst ratings to new VW Jetta but its sales sky rocket.
This consumer reports created alot of hooploa about new GX460 rollover but it has no impact on its sales apart from Japan earth quake. Infact Lexus GX has the highest resale value among V8 SUVs.
Yeah, Jetta sales increasing had nothing to do with the $2,000 drop in MSRP as well as the increase in interior space. Making a car bigger never appeals to Americans, that's why cars get smaller and smaller every year.

GX460 rollover issues - I never would have heard of them if I didn't frequent Autoblog and Acurazine. On the other hand, when it first came out I heard all about SLX/Rodeo, Montero etc. rollover tests from CR and their sales dropped for a while. Surprise.... those are three nameplates that haven't been around for a while.

The CR video reported skidding (more like drifting) when a turn was taken too fast or when a wide, emergency evasive maneuver was performed at a high speed. It definitely paints a picture of danger, but far from as traumatic-looking as a Ford Exploder flipping over on it's side. The GX has always had high resale value... after CR's report though, I don't know.

My point is, CR's findings may or may not matter because it has gone either way in the past. There are a ton of factors that influence sales.

Wait... why am I responding to you again? I might as well be talking to a tree.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:34 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Perhaps Honda will now understand why (like the big 3 used to do) it's never a good idea to rest on your laurels.

The new Civic is clearly inferior to rivals on many levels. Sure it might have a few bright spots, but on the whole it's bottom of the heap.

With the Civic now on the bottom in terms of quality, it's now a sign of what many have been saying for years: Honda quality is a myth....it was sterling years ago.....but no longer. Honda quality is mid-pack.

Wake up Honda! Go back to what got you to the top in the first place.
INNOVATE!!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,276 Likes on 2,641 Posts
^ The 9G Civic may be on the bottom in terms of performance compared to the competition but the quality of the overall product is still there.

I've compared my parents 2012 Civic LX to my brother's 2007 Civic LX, looking at everything frpom electrical connectors to switches. The hard surface dash may not please folks but the quality of the instruments, switches and controls is still top rate. i don't feel the overall total quality of the Civic has slipped but some of the stuff you easily see does show as being cheaper in appearance.

The CR drop in the ratings should be another wakeup call to Honda though, the 8G stood well in it's time with the competition but the competition has moved on with the later generations.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm actually waiting for my local dealer to get an 2012 Si for me to test drive. I love my brother-in-laws 2007 and all he has done to it is a K&N typhoon short ram kit. I am kinda excited to see what the extra torque will feel like.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:54 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
No surprise at the CR report.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Perhaps Honda will now understand why (like the big 3 used to do) it's never a good idea to rest on your laurels.

The new Civic is clearly inferior to rivals on many levels. Sure it might have a few bright spots, but on the whole it's bottom of the heap.

With the Civic now on the bottom in terms of quality, it's now a sign of what many have been saying for years: Honda quality is a myth....it was sterling years ago.....but no longer. Honda quality is mid-pack.

INNOVATE!!!!!!!
Nail on head!
Old 08-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
i'm glad a bigger microphone is showing what we debbie downers have been saying all alone.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
INNOVATE!!!!!!!
and

I still think that this had something to do with the recession. Honda went into "oh crap, we have to save ourselves first" mode, so no stuff for enthusiasts, and less innovation. Oddly enough, that hasn't stopped them from doing the HondaJet . Hopefully, the CR report will wake Honda up a little. I'm sure heads are rolling even as we speak in Honda HQ.

Soichiro is probably rolling in his grave.

Originally Posted by Costco
Wait... why am I responding to you again? I might as well be talking to a tree.
(In my modliest moderator voice) I believe we still have an Ignore feature.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:58 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ But in all truthfulness, the lack of innovation in the drive train and overall tech/features was on the slide before the recession. It's only now starting to really show how far they have slid to the bottom.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Hopefully, the CR report will wake Honda up a little. I'm sure heads are rolling even as we speak in Honda HQ.

Soichiro is probably rolling in his grave.
heads aren't rolling

Only once sales drop noticeably due to something within Honda's control (this excludes natural disasters) will things change. What would lead you guys to believe otherwise?

Quick Reply: Honda: Civic News