View Poll Results: What do you like Better?
Accord Concept Rims and Bodykit
73.97%
2004 Acura TL A-Spec Bodykit and Rims
26.03%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Honda: Accord News

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Honda UAE has sport and touring trim combined.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
That's a nice looking Accord!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
That Sport/Touring combo would be the Accord to get if it were available stateside.
The following users liked this post:
00TL-P3.2 (01-31-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 03:16 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
Our Touring model in Canada has the 18" rims
Old 02-01-2013, 10:16 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,911 Likes on 4,312 Posts
Saw a new Accord on the road. It actually looks good. Doesn't look like a bloated barge anymore.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Senior Moderator

just for the record, I don't think my 12 Accord sedan looks like a bloated barge.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:54 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
just for the record, I don't think my 12 Accord sedan looks like a bloated barge.
I liked your '07 better.
civicdrivr (02-03-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 11:44 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
This car will be in complete shape when it hits the JDM market. ETA June.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
I liked your '07 better.
It's one of those six of one/half dozen of the other deals. Despite its size my 12 handles just as well as my 07 did. (Then again, I'm comparing a four cylinder of the former versus a V6 in the latter.)

All said, the new Accord seems to address many of the shortcomings in the prior two generations.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Looks kinda tacky in sport trim, the bodykit looks like it was just slapped on.
civicdrivr (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,464 Likes on 4,982 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Looks kinda tacky in sport trim, the bodykit looks like it was just slapped on.
Especially on the blue since a lot of manufacturers are using a black or grey gasket on the edge that meets the body, which makes it stand out even more.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:19 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

TOV just posted dyno result of the 2013 Accord V6 6MT coupe:
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...cle_id=1131834

During our first drive experience with the 2013 Accord V6 Coupe last August in Santa Barbara, we suspected that the new car was a bit more potent than the outgoing model. On paper, Honda claims a 7 horsepower gain, but in a 3400lb car that go should go virtually unnoticed. As you can see in the dyno charts on the following page, it seems likely that our backsides weren't lying, and perhaps the horsepower delta between the new J35W2 and the J35Z2 is in fact a bit more than 7 horsepower.

Reading through the 2013 Accord press kit, Honda doesn't do a whole lot of bragging on this (non-VCM) version of the Earth Dreams 3.5L V6. They do mention an increase in torque from idle to 4900 rpms vs the older V6 engine, and indeed, there's a considerable improvement in torque delivery almost everywhere in the rpm range. We're not sure what's been done to gain this improvement, as all the basic specs remain the same as before, including the (somewhat conservative by today's standards) 10:1 compression ratio. We will try to find out what sort of things contributed to this improvement, but it's worth noting that these dyno figures surpass our previous Honda dyno champ - the 2007 Acura TL Type-S (which was rated at 286hp by the factory).

As you can imagine, on the street this engine delivers a healthy dose of visceral satisfaction. With the 6MT V6 coupe, Honda permits a bit more intake and exhaust note to enter the cabin, and it sounds absolutely fantastic. Torque delivery is exceptionally smooth and torque itself is bountiful. At times I tend to wish for shorter gear ratios in our Hondas, but this engine is so potent, I can't help but wonder if performance might improve a little bit with slightly taller gearing. As it is, it spins up through 1st and 2nd gears so quickly, your right arm and left leg have to work furiously just to keep the car off the rev limiter.

Plot #1 - 2013 Accord V6 EX-L 6MT Coupe

Notes: Yep, that's nearly 260hp to the wheels and more than 235lb-ft, and this engine isn't even close to being broken in. These are pretty impressive figures from a fairly pedestrian SOHC 3.5L V6. It will be interesting to see what the RLX's "310hp" version of this engine pumps out on the dyno.

Plot #2 - 2013 Accord V6 EX-L 6MT Coupe vs 2009 Accord V6 EX-L 6MT Coupe

Notes: These dyno runs were performed at the same dyno facility but several years apart, so there could be discrepancies there. Also, the '09 Accord was tested during much warmer conditions, but the dyno software corrects for that difference using SAE conversion factors (in this case, the '09 Accord's results were corrected upwards by a factor of 5%. There is zero correction applied to the 2013 Accord's results as conditions were close enough to the SAE's base conditions)). The best thing is to compare the two cars on the same day, but we didn't have that luxury, so this virtual dyno shootout has to do for now. According to these results, the 2013 Accord (blue plot) just makes more torque and power pretty much everywhere in the rev range, and the gap widens considerably in the 4000-6000rpm range. This indicates superior breathing.

Plot #3 - 2013 Accord V6 EX-L 6MT Coupe (J35W2) vs 2007 Acura TL Type-S 6MT (J35A8)

Notes: These dyno runs were performed at the same dyno facility but several years apart, so there could be discrepancies there. Also, the '07 TL Type-S was tested during much warmer conditions, but the dyno software corrects for that difference using SAE conversion factors (in this case, the '07 TL Type-S' results were corrected upwards by a factor of 4%. There is zero correction applied to the 2013 Accord's results as conditions were close enough to the SAE's base conditions). Here, the Accord's engine outperforms the TL Type-S, on paper at least. The TL's J35 has the advantage of an extra point of compression (11.0:1), which means the TL Type-S requires Premium Unleaded. The Accord's listed 10:1 CR means it runs just fine on Regular Unleaded. For the dyno plots seen here, we don't know what type of fuel was in the tank as the car was delivered to us with a full tank. On this day, the Accord's J35W2 outperformed the TL's J35A8, mostly in the 4000-6000 rpm range, but please note that even though the Dynojet is supposed to correct for conditions, it's possible that the extra ambient heat present during the TL Type-S testing could account for a bit more power loss due to the ECU possibly pulling some timing out for safety's sake. This is why dyno testing 2 different cars on the same day or under the exact same conditions makes for more valid comparisons. For now, even though it appears that the new Accord is about 5hp stronger than the TL Type-S, we'll call it a draw.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKQSkGwx21U
258whp/235wtq from a 3.5L SOHC V6 with no DI and 10.0:1 compression ratio. I wonder what Honda did to bring out the extra ~20whp versus the 8g AV6 6MT.

Using 15% drivetrain loss factor, that's pretty much 300hp at the crank.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 470 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
TOV just posted dyno result of the 2013 Accord V6
258whp/235wtq from a 3.5L SOHC V6 with no DI and 10.0:1 compression ratio. I wonder what Honda did to bring out the extra ~20whp versus the 8g AV6 6MT.

And About 235lb-ft ~ 275lb-ft!! Only 200 miles on the engine. Not even close to being fully broken in yet. Honda under ratted their engines again (279HP/ 252lb-ft), unlike Hyundai over ratting theirs.

Go Honda!
Old 02-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
TOV just posted dyno result of the 2013 Accord V6 6MT coupe:
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...cle_id=1131834

Id say they didnt do anything to them. I think They just under rate them.
civicdrivr (02-15-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 470 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Well they definitely underrate them, but I'm sure they do some type of ECU adjustment or maybe some slight head work.. maybe play with the cam profiles. Who knows, Honda doesn't release those details to us, we have to sit the the engines side by side, taken apart, and look for our selfs sometimes. What ever the case, this new J35W2 holds it own better then any other V6 on the market not made by Honda. ..ok that may be going far but you gotta hand it to them, they know how to make engines and squeeze everything out of one when they want.

It's truly an amazing piece of machinery to make such numbers both at the crank, the wheels and at the pump. And that sound. Oh.. man!

Here's some nice footage by Winding Road. (Love his videos!)

Key parts for me: 5:03, 6:57 and 11:25
Old 02-13-2013, 02:09 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I think you misunderstood my point.

The 8G AV6 6MT pulled 240whp using the same dyno on a warmer day, but with a 5% correction factor. And people were already saying this engine was underrated too.

the 9G AV6 6MT with 200 miles pulled 258whp using the same dyno on a colder day, with 0% correction factor.

There's about 18whp difference. Let's say 15whp to be conservative.

What I'd like to know is, where did that 15whp come from? What changes were made to the new engine?

Btw I watched that WR video Timmy18
Old 02-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Senior Moderator

I think you misunderstood my point.

The 8G AV6 6MT pulled 240whp using the same dyno on a warmer day, but with a 5% correction factor. And people were already saying this engine was underrated too.

the 9G AV6 6MT with 200 miles pulled 258whp using the same dyno on a colder day, with 0% correction factor.

There's about 18whp difference. Let's say 15whp to be conservative.

What I'd like to know is, where did that 15whp come from? What changes were made to the new engine?

Btw I watched that WR video Timmy18
Colder day and zero correction factors could be a key part in it. Cooler temps make more hp. A correction factor is just that, a correction but its not an exact. Unless the cars are dynoed the same day or exact conditions its hard to say one over the other.

If one does make more hp than the other it simply could be an exhaust design, a cam, tuning, or a change in intake manifold design. Guys out there are seeing huge increases in power just making things free flowing into the cylinder heads (like 10-15whp from porting lower runners and matching them to the intake manifold) Considering there are NA J series engines (hybrid 3.5/3.6's) putting down more than 320 at the wheels with nothing more than your typical I,H,E bolt on's these numbers seem kinda low honestly
Old 02-18-2013, 01:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Post C & d

Date: February 2013
Months in Fleet: 3 months
Current Mileage: 3,457 miles
Average Fuel Economy: 29 mpg
Average Range: 499 miles
Service: $0
Normal Wear: $0
Repair: $0
We’d like to tell you that considerable thought went into the selection of our long-term Honda Accord, that it was only after several high-level meetings and a sophisticated analysis of all possible build combinations that we arrived at the decision to park this particular car in our fleet for a 40,000-mile test. But that would be overstating the case a bit. Honda actually has made it simple to unravel the Gordian knot of the new, 9th-gen Accord order sheet with the appropriately named “Sport” trim level, available only on the 4-cylinder sedan. As to why we’re bothering with the Accord in the 1st place, well, if you’re asking that question then you haven’t been paying attention, have you?

With the requisite 6-speed manual (a continuously variable transmission is optional on all 4-cylinder Accords), an Accord Sport comes in just 2 colors: black and dark gray. Honda calls the hues “Crystal Black Pearl” and “Modern Steel Metallic,” but we see them more as “New Concert T-Shirt” and “Concert T-Shirt You’ve Been Wearing Since College.” We chose the latter, obviously. Beyond that, we saw no need for back-up sensors on a car with a standard reverse camera, especially when the Accord offers such good visibility in all directions. The interior is black cloth, full stop, and that’s it, no more choices to make.

Gloriously free of dealer-installed accessories, our Accord Sport stickered for $24,180, a mere $1710 more than a base Accord LX. That extra cash covers a modest power boost, 18-inch aluminum wheels, fog lamps, a tasteful spoiler, and chromed dual-exhaust tips.

While all 4-cylinder Accords now have direct-injected, 2.4-liter engines underhood, the dual exhaust on the Sport bumps horsepower from 185 to 189 and torque from 181 lb-ft to 182. That’s 1 pony fewer than in last year’s Accord EX, but an additional 20 lb-ft of torque, a trade-off that helped our Sport scoot 0–60 mph nearly a second quicker than the last manual EX we tested. At 6.6 seconds, our 4-cylinder Accord is still about a second slower than the 278-hp V-6 models, but it’s time we’ll gladly leave on the table, as the V-6 sedan can’t be had with a manual transmission.

Snick-Snick Like Wolverine

It’s the 6-speed gearbox that has most excited us through the 1st few thousand miles. Wielding our Accord’s shifter is like landing repeated deathblows with a fly swatter. The manual makes every bit of the 2.4-liter’s power satisfyingly tractable. And even though we think the Accord’s optional continuously variable transmission is the best of its kind, it’s still a CVT and not as engaging to drive as the stick.

While occasionally we find ourselves overpowering the Accord’s front tires—a Honda 4 that produces decent torque is a new thing, after all—for the most part this is an easy car to drive. The steering is quick and direct, the clutch is light, and the suspension is firm enough to handle aggressive driving.

We can imagine our Accord Sport dodging cones on an autocross course just as well as navigating traffic in the Costco parking lot, and initial testing indicates we might have fun proving out that theory. The car produced 0.87 g of grip on our 300-foot skidpad and turned in a 175-foot stop from 70 mph. Top speed is governed at 126 mph, which is plenty fast, as once the you pass the legal highway limit, say, while turning a 15.2-second quarter-mile at 93 mph, the Accord no longer feels as steadfast as it did a few seconds earlier.

Keep It Simple

Inside, Sport trim upgrades include only a leather-wrapped wheel and a 10-way power driver’s seat, but all Accords come with automatic climate control, Bluetooth, and steering-wheel-mounted phone and audio-system controls. An eight-inch LCD infotainment screen is also standard, although in this trim its capabilities are somewhat limited, meaning you can scroll through your iPod’s music selection but there’s no navigation system and the only smartphone app included is Pandora. Also, the large screen displays a relatively small amount of information and does so in a small font.

Choosing a Sport also means forgoing LED daytime running lamps, adaptive cruise control, collision- and lane-departure warning, satellite radio, and Honda’s new LaneWatch system, which shows a view of the passenger-side blind spot on the LCD screen when the right turn signal is on. While all that equipment is nice to have, it can add more than $10,000 to the price and none of it really has much to do with driving.

As some of these higher-spec Accords have cycled through our testing fleet, we’ve discovered further reason to be satisfied with our inexpensive model. The logical layout of its instrument panel—with audio and infotainment controls grouped high on the dash, above the climate controls and just below the LCD screen—gets all mucked up in navigation-equipped models. These high-end Accords get a second, smaller, touch-screen LCD that replaces the top array of buttons and knobs with a different set added below the climate controls. This bifurcated configuration has made us appreciate the relative simplicity of our car. 1 thing common to all Accords, however, is a steering wheel that often seems to be obscuring a clear view of the speedometer, although this quirk is, of course, dependent upon driver and seat adjustment.

Also dependent on the driver: fuel economy. Inexplicably, we are averaging 29 mpg during our 1st 3000 miles in the car, 1 mpg more than the EPA combined average. We’ll chalk that up to the winter weather and the snow tires that were fitted to the car a few days after it arrived. We promise that we haven’t started driving like your mother, no more than this Accord was designed for her. Like it says on the trunk, this is the Sport model. Unlike many vehicles that advertise themselves thusly, our Accord shows every indication of delivering on the name.

Specifications >

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, front-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan

PRICE AS TESTED: $24,180 (base price: $24,180)

ENGINE TYPE: DOHC 16-valve inline-4, aluminum block and head, direct fuel injection

Displacement: 144 cu in, 2356 cc
Power: 189 hp @ 6400 rpm
Torque: 182 lb-ft @ 3900 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 6-speed manual

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 109.3 in
Length: 191.4 in
Width: 72.8 in Height: 57.7 in
Curb weight: 3276 lb

PERFORMANCE: NEW
Zero to 60 mph: 6.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 17.7 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 28.6 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 6.9 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 11.1 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 11.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 15.2 sec @ 93 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 126 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 175 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.87 g

FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway driving: 24/34 mpg
C/D observed: 29 mpg
Unscheduled oil additions: 0 qt

WARRANTY:

3 years/36,000 miles bumper to bumper;
5 years/60,000 miles powertrain;
5 years/unlimited miles corrosion protection;

Legend2TL (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 01:17 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,292 Likes on 2,648 Posts
^ If I was looking now for a new DD, it would be a black Sport 6MT
Old 02-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
0-60 in 6.6 s from a 189HP engine in a 3300lb car is very good.
The following 3 users liked this post by biker:
alexSU (03-07-2013), civicdrivr (02-20-2013), F23A4 (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 01:51 PM

Received 5,564 Likes on 3,798 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
I test drove one recently & was really surprised.
Granted it was only about a 5 mile test drive, but it's a peppy car & doesn't feel nearly as large as it looks.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Although I have 19 months to go on my lease, I'm still unsure if I'll swap out my 12 EX for a 15 Sport or EX. (Seeing as the wifey will only go for an auto tranny, I'll probably wind up in a V6. Unless the K23A were resurrected in a sedan, I'm pretty much never getting a 4 cyl/auto Honda again.)
Old 02-19-2013, 11:54 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I wonder if the engine is underrated tbh. TOV will test the car on a dyno pretty soon as we will see. It's funny that a 189hp 3300lb Accord is faster than a 200hp, 3000lb Veloster turbo.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
^ that's why you always have to be careful with paper numbers - they can be misleading (and not just for performance but also for mileage)
civicdrivr (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 12:59 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yea. I think it's always a good idea to check out actual performance test results first if that's a priority.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Senior Moderator

^ that's why you always have to be careful with paper numbers - they can be misleading (and not just for performance but also for mileage)
there are SOO many things that can influence real world stats where it doesnt make sense and should be the other way around on paper.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts
2013 Honda Accord EX 6MT Dyno test:

Very impressive numbers from this new earth-dreams motor!

http://vtec.net/articles/view-articl...cle_id=1136687
SatinSilverAV6 (03-08-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by H_CAR
2013 Honda Accord EX 6MT Dyno test:

Very impressive numbers from this new earth-dreams motor!

http://vtec.net/articles/view-articl...cle_id=1136687
Thanks for that update.

Clearly the W1 definitely puts the Z3 in my 12 Accord to shame, not to mention the uprated Z3 in the TSX.

But this, is even more impressive:

On a long trip where we cruised at a fairly steady average of around 78-80mph, we observed fuel economy averages in the 31-32mpg range. That's still not bad, but the much more potent Accord V6 Touring model we sampled several months ago delivered better fuel economy at these higher cruising speeds, but it wasn't nearly as thrifty as the 4-cylinder model around town.
SatinSilverAV6 (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 07:09 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,292 Likes on 2,648 Posts
Wow, 179WHP for the Accord Sport!
Probably 200-205 at the crank.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:11 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by F23A4
In a long trip where we cruised at a fairly steady average of around 78-80mph, we observed fuel economy averages in the 31-32mpg range. That's still not bad, but the much more potent Accord V6 Touring model we sampled several months ago delivered better fuel economy at these higher cruising speeds, but it wasn't nearly as thrifty as the 4-cylinder model around town.
Now, that is REAL WORLD benefit of VCM. Hyundai and Kia, take note
Old 03-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Yep.. better than the TSX motor.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:49 PM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
That wasn't the sport! It was the EX 6spd. But it would be interesting to see if the extra 4hp and 4tq from the sport translates to more power on the dyno.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
Now, that is REAL WORLD benefit of VCM. Hyundai and Kia, take note
when done right, and not obtrusive to the driver VCM is wonderful. It'd be interesting to see Hyundai TAU 5.0 with a VCM design which drops to 4cly mode.

I personally can achieve mid to upper 20's on the highway with the TAU motor without any cylinder deactivation. Folks with the Lambada see low 30's daily as well... The next generation products should bring a lot of new technology to the table - not just from overseas... Take note in Chrysler new diesel (while derived from FIAT) is still remarkable and should prove quote interesting.... I know I'm jumping segments, but engine technology as a whole [talking ICE here] has proven it has some room for improved efficiency, without sacrificing the performance we've come to expect.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:32 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by SatinSilverAV6
That wasn't the sport! It was the EX 6spd. But it would be interesting to see if the extra 4hp and 4tq from the sport translates to more power on the dyno.
I think the extra 4hp and 4tq is needed to overcome the heavier 18" wheels....lol

Originally Posted by jnc2000
when done right, and not obtrusive to the driver VCM is wonderful. It'd be interesting to see Hyundai TAU 5.0 with a VCM design which drops to 4cly mode.

I personally can achieve mid to upper 20's on the highway with the TAU motor without any cylinder deactivation. Folks with the Lambada see low 30's daily as well... The next generation products should bring a lot of new technology to the table - not just from overseas... Take note in Chrysler new diesel (while derived from FIAT) is still remarkable and should prove quote interesting.... I know I'm jumping segments, but engine technology as a whole [talking ICE here] has proven it has some room for improved efficiency, without sacrificing the performance we've come to expect.
It'd be interesting to see how much more efficient ICE can get. I think it can be done, but the concern is, what are the costs to improve further?
Old 03-08-2013, 05:34 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

C/D: 2013 Honda Accord EX-L V-6 Coupe Automatic

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ic-test-review

Assumptions fly with the arrival of a driver in a two-door coupe: The driver has no young children. The driver pays others to deliver the new furniture and television sets. The driver does not spend long weekends at the lake, or shop for an orphanage at Costco, or rebuild old Mopars, or venture into rainy nights to walk a malamute.

Of course, you can own the new Honda Accord coupe while defying all of these assumptions, except maybe the one about the dog. But because people tend to buy cars they believe mesh perfectly with their busy lifestyles, rather than ones that might just do in a pinch, former rivals to the Accord coupe have steadily become stuffed pelts in the museum of automotive evolution.

The Toyota Camry Solara is gone, as is the Chevy Monte Carlo, and the Nissan Altima coupe is making death rattles. To make comparisons, we had to cast the net widely, from the Ford Mustang to the Volkswagen Beetle Turbo. Proof that it’s been a while since a two-door hardtop was urban chic lies in the increasingly vast flotillas of SUVs, of  jacked-up Benzes and Hyundais shaped like hiking boots. In our auto biosphere, the elephants are winning.

Thus, what you see here is a survivor, albeit one expertly tailored in the Honda way to serve those with lesser lug-about needs. Whistling past the graves of others, the two-door Accord comes fitted with a four-cylinder or a V-6, and here we sample the latter, oddly equipped with the six-speed automatic. “Oddly,” we say, because a six-speed manual is also available with the 278-hp V-6, and our preference for sticks is well documented. But so is the wider population’s disdain for them, so we have, in this case for the sake of  broader science, deigned to test Honda’s new automatic.

Choosing the V-6/automatic propels you out of the $20,000s and into the low-$30,000 realm, a sort of Mongolian desert for two doors. The only other kindred soul slogging its way across this barren stretch is the Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8. The Mustang V-6 and Beetle Turbo remain back in Mid-20s Town, and in the far distance is an oasis of pedigreed sports coupes such as the Audi A5 and Infiniti G37, which start at or just under $41,000.

Yet, when it’s all broken down into lease payments, this gussied-up Accord coupe sits a little too close to machines of seriously upscale pretensions to completely discount them as competition. The Honda is tangibly cheaper, but at $33,140 with the $2000 optional navigation system, it has to be the luxurious and dynamic real deal, or potential buyers might stretch to the next rung.

The coupe’s styling makes a strong start at keeping buyers in the Honda showroom. This is a company that doesn’t follow the crowd in mixing its genres. Whereas the new Accord sedan is something of a revival of flatter-roof, larger-window, more-upright-windshield practicality in a market hastening toward four-door Lotus Esprits, the coupe is definitely a coupe. From an unapologetically three-box profile, the coupe melts down and puddles rearward into a pleasingly sloped wedge. It breaks the air with an upturned bank of narrow headlights fanning out from the grille, and follows through with flexed tendons in the sheetmetal running up the sides to the rear. Black cutouts in the bumpers add a whiff of racy air ducting, but in fact are just blanked-off, design-studio theater. Because the new, smaller Accord heralds the industry’s retreat to more sane dimensions in this class, the robotic-snowflake wheels manage to look big even at just 18 inches.

As with any coupe, the doors are longer and may require foam bumpers to be deployed in the garage, but the inner armrests and pockets are at least slimmed down for easier exits. Honda’s cockpit-design ethos has swayed little with the winds of time, remaining primarily dependent on yards of black plastic interstitched with stacked tiers speckled with buttons. One large super-knob, familiar to any driver of a higher-spec Honda or an Acura of the past 10 years, controls the upper information screen.

What’s new is a second, smaller touch screen below, part of the EX and EX-L trim upgrades, that serves as the virtual radio console. This second screen is where the ergonomics turn silly. Its pixelated station-seeking buttons are a distraction to tap while driving, and the single, free-standing volume knob, while welcome, is needlessly lonely. By fitting a second knob for spin-tuning (the available real estate is ample and rotary car-radio knobs have been a winning design since the 1930s), Honda would have made the radio much easier to use. Note that you can’t buy any V-6 coupe without getting the touch screen.

Also, the Accord’s electronics are gallingly slow considering that its technology is hardly groundbreaking. As you spin and push the Honda’s super-knob to program the nav, the on-screen cursor alternately pauses and then skips wildly as the processor struggles to keep up with your inputs. Entering an address or syncing a Bluetooth phone is an exercise in target shooting. True, you can use the smaller touch screen to enter addresses directly using a virtual keyboard, which is that screen’s only really useful function. But history will record that profit-laden $2000 factory nav systems were killed off by $200 smartphones, and Honda was happy to help.

With the coupe, Honda shows its strengths in other ways. If rear passengers are in the party, the back seats welcome them with an easy-slide front-seat release and a deep, supportive scalloping to the bench foam. Honda is not known for wasting millimeters, and in the coupe, a six-footer can sit behind a six-footer without a squeeze. The rear seatbacks also fold as one via a release in the trunk, so longer items need not be left at the curb. Aside from the electronics, the only serious design dribble is with the cutout for the door grab handle, which is placed right where the driver’s left elbow wants to perch.

Honda’s signature red start button lights the 3.5-liter V-6. It rasps with a voice sharpened to penetrate the cabin. Note the elevated sound levels in the specs, especially the 83-dBA full-throttle reading. Not that we’re complaining. Stand on it, and this Honda sounds like a Honda, built around a precision engine with its power in the penthouse and one brisk elevator going up.

It attains the 60-mph mark in a snappy 5.5 seconds. Nothing over five seconds is stunning these days, but it puts the coupe nearly even with a G37 and it whomps the Genesis and Audi A5 2.0T. The all-season Michelins mean that other performance indexes, such as the 0.86-g skidpad and the 169-foot braking, are less noteworthy and more aligned with the coupe’s genetic lineage.

On the road, however, the Accord coupe feels as tightly wound as a sapper poking a land mine. The throttle is on a short fuse and the transmission is always primed and ready. It doesn’t wait to see if you’re serious before kicking down a couple of ratios. The light-but-tense steering responds right now, with a no-nonsense alertness. Slight tugs of wheel feedback hint at the hard work being done by the tires. The brakes have a deep reserve of capability and enough shading in their operation to set up a corner perfectly. Here is yet another Honda that proves front-drive cars can handle.

Parts of this highly caffeinated coupe are a little too amped for the car’s own good, though. The suspension is just plain harsh, causing obnoxious head-toss where it should just be lightly thumping and bumping. And the transmission sometimes feels too eager, too rough, banging home the next gear unnecessarily or throwing a ragged downshift at you when you’re just coasting up to a light.

It’s a strange machine, then, and hard to pigeonhole. Closer to its $24,140 four-cylinder-equipped base price, it makes more sense as a larger, steadfastly adult alternative to the Scion FR-S and similar. But at this price, its elegant but utilitarian interior and the tattle-tale squirm of the disproportionately heavy front end under acceleration never let you forget that it’s just the market’s best mainstream family taxi minus two doors. But it is also fast and edgy, at times a can of Red Bull on radials. It generates the performance stats of more-expensive cars, but without the brand cachet or the credibility of rear-wheel drive, a fact that will undoubtedly send some potential buyers walking.

It is, in short, a car that defies assumptions even as it defies extinction.

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, front-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 2-door coupe
PRICE AS TESTED: $33,140 (base price: $31,140)
ENGINE TYPE: SOHC 24-valve V-6, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection
Displacement: 212 cu in, 3471 cc
Power: 278 hp @ 6200 rpm
Torque: 252 lb-ft @ 4900 rpm
TRANSMISSION: 6-speed automatic with manual shifting mode
DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 107.3 in
Length: 189.2 in
Width: 72.8 in Height: 56.5 in
Curb weight: 3525 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.5 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.8 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 20.9 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 5.9 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.1 sec @ 101 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 125 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 169 ft
Roadholding, 200-ft-dia skidpad: 0.86 g

FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway: 21/32 mpg
C/D observed: 26 mpg

TEST NOTES: In manual mode, the 1-2 shift is automatic. Gears 2 through 4 are held until the driver commands the upshift. Best launch is achieved by rolling into the throttle to minimize wheelspin.
Some pretty darn impressive acceleration numbers. The real world mpg is also impressive at 26mpg. It also surprises me that C/D managed to stop the Accord V6 6AT from 70-0mph in 169ft, but did the same thing in the Accord V6 6MT in 186ft. Not sure what's going on.....
Old 03-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts
Damn 0-60 in 5.5 seconds and 26 MPG over all!!!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
real world is probably closer to above 6 seconds. C/D brake torques to achieve that impressive number.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:17 AM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Originally Posted by phile
real world is probably closer to above 6 seconds. C/D brake torques to achieve that impressive number.
The torque converters in the V6's do not respond well to brake torques. The honda is fastest with just hitting the throttle without a brake torque. Even read the C&D test notes about rolling into the throttle.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:20 AM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ic-test-review

Some pretty darn impressive acceleration numbers. The real world mpg is also impressive at 26mpg. It also surprises me that C/D managed to stop the Accord V6 6AT from 70-0mph in 169ft, but did the same thing in the Accord V6 6MT in 186ft. Not sure what's going on.....
Nice find! Yes they are very impressive! I would like to see those numbers on my 03 Accord V6!

I noticed the comparison to the 6MT numbers as well. The handling was slightly worse for the 6MT as well. It mustered a .85 vs .86 for the auto. I am assuming that 6MT C&D tested has less mileage. I am thinking that the tires were not fully broken in yet. The 6MT weighs in at just under 3390lbs where the auto is just over 3500lbs. You would think with less weight, same suspension, same wheels and tires, that the 6MT would handle better and stop sooner!
Old 03-09-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
A 6MT Sport/EX as a daily driver would be nice. If I were to just have one car, the V6 6MT would be cool too, but I prefer the sedan. I'm glad Honda finally found a solid "auto" transmission to use, even if it's a CVT. Now bring it to the V6.

my only true gripe with the car is the silver trim in the interior. So out of place.

Quick Reply: Honda: Accord News