BMW: Development and Technology News - Page 15 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

BMW: Development and Technology News

Old 06-21-2016, 02:01 PM   #561
Registered Member

Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,372 Posts
While i agree BMW is going overboard with their lineups but a lot of their models/trims are created for the sole purpose of market share against Audi and Mercedes.

I guess when you are that big, you compete to compete, not really to make $$ (think X4 and 3GT, 5GT and etc...) and 2 series Gran Coupe is made for CLA and the new M5/M6 will go AWD only because now E63s are 4matics.

Whenever there is a new model introduced by any of them, the other 2, Audi is little more diciplined, will answer.
Audi is bring over its A5 sportback just to compete with 4 series GC and it is just a matter of time the C class will have its shootingstar or some kind of 4 door coupe.

Acura and BMW are on the 2 different ends of the scale. One refuses to compete and the other one just competes with everything

Last edited by oonowindoo; 06-21-2016 at 02:06 PM.
oonowindoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #562
Registered Member

There are a lot of things (some are good and some are ) coming for BMW. Below is the summary:

F82 M4 LCI will be featuring OLED taillight from M4 GTS. If you dont know what OLED is, youtube it. ( I heard they cost about $7k to replace)

F90 M5 arrived in LA for testing

Rumor - M2 GTS will be having the S55 M4 GTS I6TT engine. talking about overkill

X2 is coming

Old 07-10-2016, 02:35 PM   #563
brahs be jelly

Right now the only BMWs I want are the M2 and M6 GC. M6 is way too expensive so I am on the waiting list for M2 but trying to hold out until the competition package hits.
MTEAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #564
Registered Member

you sure you dont want to wait for M2 GC or M2 GTS or M2 GC GTS
Old 07-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #565
brahs be jelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
you sure you dont want to wait for M2 GC or M2 GTS or M2 GC GTS
I don't need a sedan and the GTS will be expensive with an ugly (but functional) wing on the back. So no.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:03 PM   #566
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTEAZY View Post
I don't need a sedan and the GTS will be expensive with an ugly (but functional) wing on the back. So no.
it is not a sedan. It is coupay. Gran Coupay!
Old 11-17-2016, 05:43 PM   #567
Alright, alright, alright

Thanked 1,340 Times in 868 Posts
The Man Responsible For BMW's Incredible Motorsport Engines Has Died

Legend2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Legend2TL For This Useful Post:
Chief F1 Fan (11-17-2016)
Old 10-19-2017, 06:20 PM   #568
Registered Member

Sorry i cant find the 3 series thread...

I thought i was going to give up on BMW after the current car, but with the 8 series like gauge, laser light and up to 385hp for M340i (rumored), i might be sticking around

Quote:
Update: October 17, 2017

This G20 3 Series prototype has been spied wearing the same production LED headlights, tail lights and camouflage as the last sighting, but it provides us the most revealing look at the interior yet. Seen for the first time is the full digital instrument panel and the new style shifter fashioned after the new F90 M5 shifter. The center air vents have been lowered, new air vents sit atop the dash, iDrive control knob moved forward, and new angular door handle pulls.

The lowering of the center air vents also lowers the position of the iDrive screen (perhaps for a more integrated look) as well as allowing for air vents to be added to the top of the dashboard. And if that's the edge of the iDrive screen we see extending all the way to the gauge display hood, then expect a much larger screen than the current version.

According to our future models crystal ball, the 2019 3 Series (G20) will come to US as 330i, 330e and M340i (in choice of sDrive or xDrive for all models). The B48TU engine that will power the 330i will receive a small power increase to 255hp.

The G20 will come with a host of cool toys. The instrument panel seen in these photos is the same one from the upcoming 8 Series, a special differential will be included with the M Sport Package, ambient light, laser lights (even for US cars), significantly improved autonomous driving capabilities, remote engine start, and much more.

The Following User Says Thank You to oonowindoo For This Useful Post:
ttribe (10-19-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #569
2013 Ford Focus ST

Thanked 1,155 Times in 724 Posts
Lowered screen! Woot.
RPhilMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:29 PM   #570
brahs be jelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTEAZY View Post
Right now the only BMWs I want are the M2 and M6 GC. M6 is way too expensive so I am on the waiting list for M2 but trying to hold out until the competition package hits.
As an update to this I did drive the M2 but things didn't work out with the dealer. I think the E46 M3 and M coupe are more fun with the naturally aspirated engine but if you want new tech and safety features it's a good deal at MSRP.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:44 PM   #571
Registered Member

well almost all BMW owners agree that E46 M3 is more fun... but cars like that dont exist anymore.... unless you are willing to buy used and questionable reliability.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:01 PM   #572
Registered Member

Thanked 1,006 Times in 731 Posts
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ele...-electric-cars

Quote:
Shared platforms, better batteries and the possibility of an 800bhp supercar...

BMW has never made any secret that it wants to be a trailblazer and a leader when it comes to electric cars. In 2013, when other manufacturers were agonising over whether to introduce a hybrid or two, it launched the all-singing, all-dancing, carbon-fibre-slathered ‘i’ sub-brand. It was a hefty gamble, and while sales have been modest, the learning curve has been steep.

Four years on and with the electric revolution gathering pace, BMW has gathered its experience and put together a shiny new e-mobility plan. The principle is simple: to make any real money, you need to cut costs, and for EVs that means avoiding bespoke platforms and bespoke production lines.

So, starting in 2021 with the production version of the Vision Dynamics concept (pictured above - nicknamed i5, designed for speed but with a 600-700km range) and the iNext (a separate pure-electric ‘i’ car, bodyshape unknown, the focus more on autonomy) almost all BMWs, whether SUVs or saloons, whether sporting a combustion engine, a plug-in hybrid, or fully electric, will be built on the same scalable, modular architecture. Still with me? Good.

The ‘i’ family will continue to offer BMW’s most radical design, bodyshapes and thinking, but unlike the bespoke i3 and i8, the platform and drivetrain underneath will be identical to all future electrified versions of the ‘standard’ range. The fact is that BMW has no idea how the mix of combustion engines, plug-in hybrids and full electric cars is going to fluctuate in coming years, but this way it doesn’t matter. If the demand for one type suddenly rockets - due to new legislation for example - then they simply crank out more of those. Using this principle BMW says it’ll have 25 electrified cars (plug-in hybrid or full EV) in the range by 2025. Currently it has seven.

Let’s focus on full EVs for a moment. From 2021 onwards the motor, gearbox and power electronics will be all housed in a single, lighter, smaller unit, while the entire EV powertrain architecture is modular. Think of it like a pick ‘n mix tool box consisting of charging units of increasing power, electric motors of increasing power (from 100kw to over 300kw), two battery modules (a thicker one for SUVs, and a flatter one for saloons and coupes), and a choice of lithium-ion cells you can slot into the modules (from most cost-effective, to performance applications).

From there you can build any type of EV you like. For smaller, entry level cars a single 100kw motor on the front axle and a modest-sized battery should do it. Want more power, range and four-wheel drive? Simply lengthen the battery module, add a couple of 200kw electric motors at the back and another 200kw motor at the front, and you have something with circa 800bhp, four-wheel drive, 0-62mph in less than three seconds and an attractively low centre of gravity. What body you place on top is up to you.

Meanwhile battery performance is on a positive trajectory, says Andreas Raith, BMW’s head of battery tech. In terms of energy density he claims there’s another 80 per cent to come from lithium-ion before we need to change tack. Beyond that, solid-state batteries (still lithium-based, but no liquid electrolytes) are on the horizon, offering a further 50 per cent jump in energy density, once they figure out how to make them work in a car.

From 2021 onwards it’ll no longer be about seeing plug-in hybrids and full EVs as different and exotic. Whichever BMW you fancy – be it a 3 Series saloon, X5 or 6 Series Coupe, eventually you’ll have the choice to go full electric, a half-way house plug-in or stick with good old fossil fuels. That’s how you bring costs down, that’s how you bring EVs kicking and screaming into mass production and that’s how you give the customer exactly what they want.

The principle is sound, so all that’s left is for BMW to pull it off.
00TL-P3.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:04 PM   #573
45TFSI

Sometimes I wonder if the best route is just to make an electric 3 series and get the driving dynamics right, then just completely replace the traditional 3 series.
kurtatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:46 PM   #574

Thanked 1,823 Times in 1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtatx View Post
Sometimes I wonder if the best route is just to make an electric 3 series and get the driving dynamics right, then just completely replace the traditional 3 series.
For better or for worse, this is most likely going to be the future of the 3-series, if not most or all cars entirely.

EV torque is awesome and very useful for daily driving. But I like my smelly exhaust and stickshift. I even like the smell of gasoline, which might explain some things about myself
Costco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Costco For This Useful Post:
kurtatx (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #575
45TFSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costco View Post
For better or for worse, this is most likely going to be the future of the 3-series, if not most or all cars entirely.

EV torque is awesome and very useful for daily driving. But I like my smelly exhaust and stickshift. I even like the smell of gasoline, which might explain some things about myself
I loved the smell of gasoline as a kid...

...and maybe a little whiteout
Old 12-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #576
Registered Member

EV hype - don't believe the hype.
biker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to biker For This Useful Post:
Saintor (12-10-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 03:53 PM   #577
45TFSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker View Post
EV hype - don't believe the hype.
It's going to happen. Not if but when.
Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM   #578
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costco View Post

I hope that will not happen in my life time because it makes me dizzy when driving E cars.... especially the one with the brake regen ones....