BMW: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 08:22 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
I don't think people cross-shop gas burners and EVs. Going EV means you have to sort out a lot of other considerations in your mind first - notably charging (where, can you achieve most of your driving tasks with the available range, etc.). I think buyers are in one camp or the other. Once in EV land, Tesla has enjoyed being the far-and-above preferred choice (to a quirky looking i3 or a hideous Nissan Leaf...). I think their popularity has a little to do with being the big fish in a small pond. People spending 90k on a Model S want the EV experience, not because it's the best car value at that price point.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Telsa once they get some direct competition. I sat in a M235 Grand Coupe the other day (for a long time ) while getting service and if you take that car, make it electric with comparable range, the Model 3 wouldn't even be on the shopping list.

I think BMW (and other luxury car makers) will build better EVs than Tesla. Question is will they be able to compete at the price point.
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (11-18-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 10:21 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,941 Likes on 3,919 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
Agree with the first point.
I might be mistaken but I thought Tesla started leases as well very recently.
They do lease now but the terms suck compared to BMW or Benz.
Comfy (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 12:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Looks like you are already in love with electric vehicles. And the gas savings....... and the savings by not having a dealership middleman ...... and the saving by not having to annually service the car ..... just think about it.

At some point money plays into the equation. Not everyone has unlimited car funds (I don’t know about you) to keep on paying if a much cheaper and reasonably equivalent one (okay better one ) exists.

You don’t have to agree with me on anything. I understand that you have different priorities and we all are different.
um.. none of those is more important than my daily enjoyment of the sound of redlining on the freeway ramp every morning... i can do that since there are less cars now.
and i hate the Roller coaster feeling that you get from the acceleration of e-cars. and i hate the feeling Regen braking shit even more.

So no i am not in love with e-cars.. i just understand why people like it.
The following 2 users liked this post by oonowindoo:
00TL-P3.2 (07-29-2020), Comfy (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 12:57 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Not gonna lie, the eGolf is way better than the i3. It's a Golf in every way but the powertrain and keeps all of the benefits as such. The i3 seems like a half baked idea of what an EV should be.
Maybe. But i prefer the BMW feel of i3 inside and the extender. so while it sucks, but you will get home eventually with the i3 extender 2 gallons at a time when you ran out of juice on the road.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:21 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Maybe. But i prefer the BMW feel of i3 inside and the extender. so while it sucks, but you will get home eventually with the i3 extender 2 gallons at a time when you ran out of juice on the road.
That's fair, the eGolf is an EU and CA compliance car. It's not meant to go far at all so provided you use it within its limits, it's just as good as any other Golf in terms of daily practicality.

Interior feel is all subjective but the eGolf is made in Germany so the fit and finish is a lot better than the Mexico built models. Also, it comes with the virtual cockpit cluster unlike other Golf models.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:09 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
BMW loses almost $800 million as sales slide during lockdowns

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKCN2510M9

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - BMW (BMWG.DE) expects to make a profit this year if demand continues to recover, despite posting a record loss for its car division in the second quarter after sales slumped 25% because of coronavirus lockdowns, it said on Wednesday.The German manufacturer of BMWs, Minis and Rolls-Royces said sales had started to recover during the latest three-month period, including a 17% jump in deliveries in China, but the rebound would not fully make up for sales lost to COVID-19.

As a result of the sales slide, and higher costs for developing low-emission cars, BMW posted a pretax loss of 498 million euros, its first in over 11 years, and an operating loss of 666 million euros ($790 million) for the quarter.

Shares in BMW fell 3% following the results, with some analysts saying they had not expected such a big loss in earnings before interest and taxes (EBIT).

“What matters now is how robust this upward trend is and when individual markets will follow suit,” said Chief Executive Oliver Zipse, adding that its overall cars sales in July were higher than last year.

BMW said, however, that its outlook did not factor in the potential impact of a second wave of COVID-19 infections, nor the prospect of a more sustained or deeper recession than expected in its key markets.

Zipse said on a call that developments in the United States, which has the highest number of COVID-19 cases and deaths worldwide, were “extremely worrying”.

Sales in the United States made up 12.6% of deliveries in the first half of 2020, down from 15.2% in 2020. Overall, BMW said it expected global demand for luxury cars to fall by a fifth this year.

The COVID-19 pandemic has already hit carmakers such as Fiat Chrysler (FCHA.MI), Ford (F.N) and Daimler (DAIGn.DE) particularly hard at time when the auto industry is ramping up spending to clean up their combustion engines as well as developing low-emission technologies to conform with stringent European anti-pollution rules.

BMW’s EBIT margin for cars slumped to minus 10.4%, an historic low, down from 6.5% in the second quarter last year, though it maintained the forecast it made in May for a margin of 0% to 3% for the year as a whole.

By contrast, electric-only car manufacturer Tesla (TSLA.O) saw its automotive gross margin widen to 25.4% in the second quarter, up from 18.9% a year earlier, despite a 5% drop in deliveries.

Jefferies analyst Philippe Houchois said BMW’s margin forecast for the year suggested a healthy recovery in the second half of 2020, even though the second-quarter results were below the consensus.

“We are now looking ahead to the second six-month period with cautious optimism and continue to target an EBIT margin between 0% and 3% for the automotive segment in 2020,” Zipse said in a statement.

BMW reiterated that it expected to make a pretax profit in 2020, albeit well below 2019 levels and for car deliveries to customers to fall significantly this year.

The COVID pandemic has exposed the ripple effects of clinging to a near obsolete technology. Hopefully they are learning some lessons.

Last edited by Comfy; 08-06-2020 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:58 AM
Team Owner

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKCN2510M9

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - BMW (BMWG.DE) expects to make a profit this year if demand continues to recover, despite posting a record loss for its car division in the second quarter after sales slumped 25% because of coronavirus lockdowns, it said on Wednesday.The German manufacturer of BMWs, Minis and Rolls-Royces said sales had started to recover during the latest three-month period, including a 17% jump in deliveries in China, but the rebound would not fully make up for sales lost to COVID-19.

As a result of the sales slide, and higher costs for developing low-emission cars, BMW posted a pretax loss of 498 million euros, its first in over 11 years, and an operating loss of 666 million euros ($790 million) for the quarter.

Shares in BMW fell 3% following the results, with some analysts saying they had not expected such a big loss in earnings before interest and taxes (EBIT).

“What matters now is how robust this upward trend is and when individual markets will follow suit,” said Chief Executive Oliver Zipse, adding that its overall cars sales in July were higher than last year.

BMW said, however, that its outlook did not factor in the potential impact of a second wave of COVID-19 infections, nor the prospect of a more sustained or deeper recession than expected in its key markets.

Zipse said on a call that developments in the United States, which has the highest number of COVID-19 cases and deaths worldwide, were “extremely worrying”.

Sales in the United States made up 12.6% of deliveries in the first half of 2020, down from 15.2% in 2020. Overall, BMW said it expected global demand for luxury cars to fall by a fifth this year.

The COVID-19 pandemic has already hit carmakers such as Fiat Chrysler (FCHA.MI), Ford (F.N) and Daimler (DAIGn.DE) particularly hard at time when the auto industry is ramping up spending to clean up their combustion engines as well as developing low-emission technologies to conform with stringent European anti-pollution rules.

BMW’s EBIT margin for cars slumped to minus 10.4%, an historic low, down from 6.5% in the second quarter last year, though it maintained the forecast it made in May for a margin of 0% to 3% for the year as a whole.

By contrast, electric-only car manufacturer Tesla (TSLA.O) saw its automotive gross margin widen to 25.4% in the second quarter, up from 18.9% a year earlier, despite a 5% drop in deliveries.

Jefferies analyst Philippe Houchois said BMW’s margin forecast for the year suggested a healthy recovery in the second half of 2020, even though the second-quarter results were below the consensus.

“We are now looking ahead to the second six-month period with cautious optimism and continue to target an EBIT margin between 0% and 3% for the automotive segment in 2020,” Zipse said in a statement.

BMW reiterated that it expected to make a pretax profit in 2020, albeit well below 2019 levels and for car deliveries to customers to fall significantly this year.

The COVID pandemic has exposed the ripple effects of clinging to a near obsolete technology. Hopefully they are learning some lessons.
Tesla is not the cure for everything... Everyone is suffering.... It has nothing to do with Technology... near obsolete technology? unless EV has 90% of the entire market, otherwise i would call it near obsolete technology.
https://evadoption.com/2019-us-ev-sa...6-reasons-why/
About 330,000 units of ALL EV were sold in the US in 2019.... just for reference.. Honda sold 380,000 units of CR-V in the US in 2019... that is 1 model from 1 manuf. So to say it is near obsolete is so far from the truth that it is just delusional.

What Tesla needs to learn is how to line up the bumpers and trim pieces, so they is no gap... that is what they need to learn.

ALso you will still catch COVID even if you drive a Tesla .. just wanted to point that out...
Old 08-07-2020, 07:34 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Exactly, that’s what Kodak, Blackberry, and Nokia said too. .
Microsoft said that too when people were speculating if MS would launch a mobile OS way back when iOS and Android were launched.
You know how a ship sinks, very gradually..... gradually..... and then quickly .
Old 08-07-2020, 09:32 AM
Ex-OEM King

TIL Microsoft is a sinking ship.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:51 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
TIL Microsoft is a sinking ship.
That is with regards to mobile OS. Losing out on $400 billion market share. That ship did sink. Bill gates says so, not me.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...take-interview
Old 08-07-2020, 10:55 AM
Ex-OEM King

Sure.

Every company misses out on some big thing. It's not a sinking ship because of it.
Comfy (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 12:25 PM
Team Owner

Exactly, that’s what Kodak, Blackberry, and Nokia said too. .
Microsoft said that too when people were speculating if MS would launch a mobile OS way back when iOS and Android were launched.
You know how a ship sinks, very gradually..... gradually..... and then quickly .
That is fine. if that is what you wanna believe.
But that logic is fundamentally flawed... everyone can carry a phone... but not everyone has the capability to charge EV at home..imagine a household of 5-6 people. or people who live in the places where there is no charger.
Most of the people only need 1 phone. When EV is your only car, you will have to face many practical issues.

But as of 2020, it is nowhere NEAR obsolete ... The entire EV Market is only less than 2% of the entire auto industry.... Tesla is even less than that...
We can have this conversation again when it reaches 51%... whenever that maybe.

Like i said before, unless the government gives in to support infrastructures, US will never get anywhere near it...

Last edited by oonowindoo; 08-07-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:40 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

That is fine. if that is what you wanna believe.
But that logic is fundamentally flawed... everyone can carry a phone... but not everyone has the capability to charge EV at home..imagine a household of 5-6 people. or people who live in the places where there is no charger.
Most of the people only need 1 phone. When EV is your only car, you will have to face many practical issues.

But as of 2020, it is nowhere NEAR obsolete ... The entire EV Market is only less than 2% of the entire auto industry.... Tesla is even less than that...
We can have this conversation again when it reaches 51%... whenever that maybe.

Like i said before, unless the government gives in to support infrastructures, US will never get anywhere near it...
I partly agree with your statements. There absolutely are practical difficulties with having an EV as your only car (that’s why I don’t have it too). But these difficulties are not insurmountable and the hurdles are falling by the wayside rapidly. People are only getting to know the EVs as a novelty now. It’ll soon pass a threshold and then EVs will be the only game in town. There sure will be gasoline cars but will be as rare as stick shift cars. You’re absolutely right that electric vehicle adoption is a mere fraction of the entire automotive market. But it is expanding rapidly and you’ll see it by end of next year onwards. Within five years EV will be the absolute majority in new cars.
The problem for current ICE car owners will be that they won’t be able to sell it due to very poor demand.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:18 PM
Team Owner

So you are saying within 5 years EV will be the majority in new cars? and ICE cars will be as rare as stick shift cars?
There were 17 million cars sold in the US in 2019.... 51% will mean 8.5 mill...

So EV will have to go from 330,000 to 8.5million in 5 years... I am just going to ignore the "as rare as stick shift cars" predication because that will make it EV to be 90%+ of all cars sold.

i wish i can bet on that with real $$ against you.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 08-07-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:48 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

If you are so bullish on ICE automakers and their technology, and want to bet on them, then buy the stocks of BMW and MB. .
I did and will do more if I can to buy the stocks of Tesla and other EVs (Nikola excluded).
Old 08-08-2020, 04:18 PM

I partly agree with your statements. There absolutely are practical difficulties with having an EV as your only car (that’s why I don’t have it too). But these difficulties are not insurmountable and the hurdles are falling by the wayside rapidly. People are only getting to know the EVs as a novelty now. It’ll soon pass a threshold and then EVs will be the only game in town. There sure will be gasoline cars but will be as rare as stick shift cars. You’re absolutely right that electric vehicle adoption is a mere fraction of the entire automotive market. But it is expanding rapidly and you’ll see it by end of next year onwards. Within five years EV will be the absolute majority in new cars.
The problem for current ICE car owners will be that they won’t be able to sell it due to very poor demand.
If you are so bullish on ICE automakers and their technology, and want to bet on them, then buy the stocks of BMW and MB. .
I did and will do more if I can to buy the stocks of Tesla and other EVs (Nikola excluded).
I agree that EVs will ultimately become popular but I don't think its that fast.

The lack of charging network that can service that many people is the first problem, and that infrastructure isn't going to grow exponentially. This has to be addressed because there are a lot of people that may need to drive more than 200 miles a day round trip. So we need better batteries, more chargers.

Second problem is cost. They still cost a LOT more than comparably equipped ICEs.

Even when we get past the first two, large vehicles become the next frontier. Trucks and large SUVs sell more than anything. And while a few auto makers are trying to make EV Trucks, if they can't tow a trailer or haul a load 300 miles in one direction they will be useless to the people who need that.

I can see most families owning one of each - an EV for the daily commuter and an ICE for "big car/truck/SUV" needs where they need more capacity, range, etc. And I see that as being a 10-15 year proposition, not necessarily 5.
Comfy (08-08-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 09:33 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by 1Louder
I agree that EVs will ultimately become popular but I don't think its that fast.

The lack of charging network that can service that many people is the first problem, and that infrastructure isn't going to grow exponentially. This has to be addressed because there are a lot of people that may need to drive more than 200 miles a day round trip. So we need better batteries, more chargers.

Second problem is cost. They still cost a LOT more than comparably equipped ICEs.

Even when we get past the first two, large vehicles become the next frontier. Trucks and large SUVs sell more than anything. And while a few auto makers are trying to make EV Trucks, if they can't tow a trailer or haul a load 300 miles in one direction they will be useless to the people who need that.

I can see most families owning one of each - an EV for the daily commuter and an ICE for "big car/truck/SUV" needs where they need more capacity, range, etc. And I see that as being a 10-15 year proposition, not necessarily 5.
Mostly agree with your statements. We differ primarily in the timeline. With regards to larger vehicles, I don't think that should be an issue. Larger vehicles such as trucks can hold more batteries and therefore longer range and towing could be addressed. Tesla Semi can do 500 miles and carry 80,000 pounds (worst case scenario). We still don't know the range specs of Cybertruck with towing.

Of course it all comes down to cost, and I believe we will get there within 5 years easily. Panasonic already announced that the batteries that they supply Tesla will be 20% more energy dense within 5 years. That means at least Tesla model S (currently >400 miles range) can do a range of >480 miles, which is more than many gasoline cars ( for reference; my RDX shows 370 miles on a full tank at times ). I believe Tesla can do better than that by its own batteries. Hopefully we'll know more in September on battery day.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:37 AM

Mostly agree with your statements. We differ primarily in the timeline. With regards to larger vehicles, I don't think that should be an issue. Larger vehicles such as trucks can hold more batteries and therefore longer range and towing could be addressed. Tesla Semi can do 500 miles and carry 80,000 pounds (worst case scenario). We still don't know the range specs of Cybertruck with towing.

Of course it all comes down to cost, and I believe we will get there within 5 years easily. Panasonic already announced that the batteries that they supply Tesla will be 20% more energy dense within 5 years. That means at least Tesla model S (currently >400 miles range) can do a range of >480 miles, which is more than many gasoline cars ( for reference; my RDX shows 370 miles on a full tank at times ). I believe Tesla can do better than that by its own batteries. Hopefully we'll know more in September on battery day.
I think batteries are the key along with charging infrastructure. I think EVs will gain popularity as slow or as fast as those two things can mature, but I think it will snowball quickly. The more they sell, the more investment will be made in the technology, the better and cheaper it will get, which will lead to more sales, etc.
Comfy (08-09-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 09:58 PM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
Would this be a mid-engine design?

BMW found a creative way to showcase its expertise in electrification. Its i division teamed up with its Designworks studio and intrepid stuntman Peter Salzmann to develop, build and test an electric wingsuit.

Designing the device, which the German carmaker calls simply Electrified Wingsuit, took about three years. It consists of two main parts: a suit with wing-like pieces of fabric reminiscent of a flying squirrel's fur-covered skin membranes, and a compact electric drive unit that houses a pair of carbon propellers capable of spinning at 25,000 rpm. They deliver a total output of 15 kilowatts (roughly 20 horsepower) for as long as five minutes.

BMW notes the drive unit was extensively tested in the same wind tunnel it uses to shape its cars in Munich, Germany. It tips the scale at approximately 26 pounds thanks to the use of carbon fiber and aluminum.

Wingsuit flying has been around for decades. Thirty-three-year-old Franz Reichelt notably died in 1912 while trying to test an early prototype by jumping off the Eiffel Tower, but adding electrification to the equation lets users reach action movie speeds of up to 186 mph. It also allows for more constant gliding over much longer distances. It gives the power of flight to whoever is brave enough to strap in; it's like a jet pack without the jet fuel.

Salzmann tested the Electrified Wingsuit by jumping out of a helicopter hovering about 9,900 feet over the Austrian Alps, and BMW caught his descent on camera. He lived to tell the tale, he landed safely by deploying his parachute at the end of a long, roller coaster-like glide, and he's looking forward to further developing this technology.

Don't expect to see one displayed next to a 3 Series at a BMW dealer, however. Autoblog learned from a company spokesperson that there are no plans to bring the Electrified Wingsuit to the public.
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/11/10/...fied-wingsuit/
Old 11-10-2020, 10:12 PM
Team Owner

imagine when things go wrong at 186mph and nothing you can do would save your life? That helmet will absorb maybe 0.5% of the impact
Old 11-11-2020, 12:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,768 Likes on 13,963 Posts
That suit looks better than the new snout in the M3...Just sayin'.
Comfy (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 12:19 PM

People who fly wing suits are a little nuts to begin with. This is just battery powered nuts.
Comfy (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 12:38 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,471 Likes on 928 Posts
Even the wheels look like a wingsuit silhouette.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:14 PM
Race Director

FRANKFURT — BMW on Wednesday said it will retool its German factories to build electric cars and components and shift manufacturing of combustion engines to plants in Austria and England as part of a broader shift toward low-emission cars.

Factories across the globe are clamoring for investment into next-generation cars as electric vehicles gain traction with consumers and as governments hasten the demise of the combustion engine.
ADVERTISEMENTGermany on Wednesday unveiled a 3-billion-euro ($3.5 billion) scheme to promote low-emission cars, and Britain said it will ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars and vans from 2030.

"By the end of 2022 all our German factories will make at least one fully electric car," Milan Nedeljkovic, BMW's board member responsible for production said in a statement on Wednesday.

BMW's Munich plant, which currently makes four-, six-, eight- and 12-cylinder combustion engines, will be retooled with a 400 million euro investment until 2026, to make next-generation electric vehicles, the carmaker said.

BMW said production of eight- and 12-cylinder engines will move from Munich to Hams Hall in England, and other engines will be made in Steyr, in Austria.

Bavaria, where BMW is based, will receive the lion's share of the investments, the carmaker said. The BMW i4 electric car will be built in Munich, a fully electric version of the 5-series and 7-series and the recently revealed iX will be made in Dingolfing and an electric X1 will be made in Regensburg.

BMW's said the number of staff at its Dingolfing factory making electric car powertrains, will double, to 2,000 workers.

BMW's plant in Leipzig, Germany, will start manufacturing the Mini Countryman and the Regensburg and Leipzig plants are being prepared to make battery modules, the company said.

BMW will improve its cost structure by 500 million euros by the end of the year, the company also said.
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/11/18/...ill-build-evs/
Comfy (11-18-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 03:18 PM
Team Owner

The new M3/M4 configurator is on BMWUSA now... just in case if you wanted to check it out..
04WDPSeDaN (11-24-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 03:47 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
The new M3/M4 configurator is on BMWUSA now... I already configured mine and am waiting for you guys' validation
Interesting
Old 11-24-2020, 03:50 PM
Team Owner

Bro.... u know me...
Old 11-24-2020, 03:54 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Bro.... u know me...
Called it a while ago

Originally Posted by Costco
Bargaining?

In the not too distant future...

Thread title: The 4GC needed tires, so I replaced them with the new 4GC's tires
Thread starter: oonowindoo

Didn't even take me long to find this post, lul
Old 11-24-2020, 03:56 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Costco
Called it a while ago

Didn't even take me long to find this post, lul
I am not considering 4GC tho... so you are wrong fool. I can live with the M3/M4 front end, but not the M440i's..

Besides too many 4s ... not good for
Old 11-25-2020, 12:50 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,471 Likes on 928 Posts
M3 Comp shows auto only, no? I don't see a manual option unless the image is just wrong.

$75,700 for my regular M3 build. Tears man, tears.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:53 PM
Team Owner

Only the non-comp packaged M3/M4 will have 6mt...

But you are not missing out much.. just get a tune and you will be the same as a tuned M3 Comp.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:36 PM
Race Director

BMW enthusiasts certainly know what generation of cars Neue Klasse refers to, but soon the name will stand for an entirely new chapter of the marque's history. The Munich-based automaker laid out a new three-part strategy for the future centered on a redefined IT and software architecture, high-performance electric batteries and drivetrains, and also a new focus on sustainability throughout the each vehicle's life cycle. A new vehicle architecture will embody these three strands as the automaker turns to electrification and digitalization, without losing BMW's familiar driving character.

"The BMW Group is never satisfied with what it has achieved so far – that's what sets it apart from the rest of the field. This spirit will characterize the Neue Klasse: high tech on four wheels for customers intent on experiencing in just five years' time how mobility will feel in 2030," said Oliver Zipse, BMW AG's Chairman of the Board of Management.

What will the Neue Klasse generation of vehicles offer?

When it comes to digitalization, the first part of this strategy will arrive later this year with BMW's Operating System 8, promised to be most powerful processing system the brand has ever fielded. The BMW iX will be the first vehicle with this system on board, but it will quickly spread to other vehicles, offering the eighth generation of iDrive with over-the-air updates. The automaker says by the end of this year it will have the largest fleet of vehicles on the road with the capability to install or upgrade existing functions via OTA updates.

As for electrification, BMW plans to have a dozen battery-electric models on the road by 2023, covering about 90 of segments it currently offers. Later this year the BMW iX and i4 will join the i3, Mini Cooper SE and BMW iX3 on the road, with battery-electric versions of the X1 and the 5-Series scheduled to follow.

"The launch of the BMW iX and the BMW i4 will signalize the start of our technology offensive in 2021: these two all-electric vehicles will set the benchmark for BEVs going forward," Zipse noted.

The automaker will also field an 7-Series EV in the near future, while Mini gains a battery-electric successor to the Mini Countryman. In total, BMW plans to have electric models spanning several brands in 9 out of 10 segments in which it fields vehicles.

"We are consciously adopting a broad approach with our all-electric offering rather than staying niche," Zipse added.

BMW also plans to use highly scalable modules for powertrains and platforms able to underpin many different segments of Neue Klasse vehicles. The models themselves are promised to feature aerodynamic designs but more spacious interiors than today's lineup, signaling gains in usable space as a result of battery-electric powertrains. The Neue Klasse powertrains will be able to be used for volume models and high-performance models alike, with BMW planning to blur this line with the adoption of new powertrains. And they will also feature advanced driver assistance systems.

The automaker also intends to focus on recyclable materials in cars, adopting an approach it calls "secondary first," prioritizing secondary materials wherever availability and quality factors allow.

"We are intent on ensuring that the 'greenest' electric car on the market is made by BMW," Zipse added.

When it comes to just when we're going to see radical results of this new strategy on the road, BMW says that by 2030 battery-electric models will account for at least 50 percent of its global deliveries based on current market expectations, and that all model series will include fully electric vehicles as options. BMW expects the number of battery-electric vehicles in the BMW Group to grown 20% annually between 2025 and 2030.

"By that stage, across the entire product portfolio, all market segments in which the BMW Group operates will include at least one fully electric model," the automaker says. "In fact, a number of segments may well be served exclusively by fully electric models. Accordingly, the BMW Group will also be capable of providing a significantly higher market share of fully electric vehicles, assuming demand develops accordingly. The BMW Group expects to have around ten million fully electric vehicles on roads worldwide over the next ten years or so."

Overall, BMW's strategy envisions a much bigger role for internal combustion engines after 2030 than several other automakers' do, while also leaving room for hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles. The company projects at least 50% of its global deliveries being electric vehicles by that date, likely taking into account numerous overseas markets where EV adoption is barely a blip on the radar. The automaker's goal of using what it calls "highly scalable modules" is in line with the expectations of several other automakers, needing just a few platforms to underpin a wide variety of vehicles, because quite a few models will feature skateboard platforms of different lengths, with different suspensions. The rapidly approaching adoption of such flexible platforms for battery-electric vehicles is already a trend, even though we're only seeing the tip of this iceberg when it comes to BMW.

"The BMW Group has ambitious plans for 2021. We have started the new year with strong momentum and are aiming to return to pre-crisis levels as swiftly as possible – and go even further," Zipse said.
The Neue Klasse Will Shape BMW's Electric Future (autoweek.com)
Old 05-19-2021, 09:26 PM
Race Director

BMW’s new EVs, the iX crossover and i4 four-door coupe, will make their North American debuts on Tuesday, June 1, at 1:00 p.m. PST and 6:00 p.m. PST. The cars are being unveiled at a new facility called [SPACE] by BMW, what the company calls an “immersive BMW brand experience” at The Grove in Los Angeles. After the unveiling the facility will open to the public from Friday, June 4, through November 30 from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. PST daily.

BMW calls the iX its technology flagship, “bringing together the latest developments in the fields of electrification, connectivity, design, and services.” The company says range should be around 300 miles, and the crossover should hit 62 mph in less than 5.0 seconds. MSRP is expected to be in the mid $80,000 range and will be announced, along with all the specs, on June 1.

The BMW i4 EV four-door coupe arrives here early next year. The company says it should hit a range around 300 miles and 62 mph in about 4 seconds.

The automaker says [SPACE] is a two-story gallery-inspired brand experience with displays from BMW, BMW M, BMW i, Mini, and BMW Motorrad. LA artist Spencer Mar Guilbert collaborated on the interior design. BMW says he used both the natural world and street art for inspiration.

Hinting that BMW might launch more EVs using these types of immersrive displays, Uwe Dreher, BMW of North America’s marketing VP, said “the debuts of the BMW iX and i4 are only the beginning. We wanted to do something special to introduce these new vehicles, which is why we’ve created a brand platform in one of the most important electric vehicle markets in the world.
“But [SPACE] by BMW will go beyond just vehicle debuts and displays,” he added. “We will have a full schedule of programming and events which will create opportunities to engage and connect with consumers.”

The idea behind [SPACE] to be open over the course of the next six months is to “generate awareness and build excitement for BMW’s electric future,” the company said. BMW said the venue will host different consumer and stakeholder events with “collaborations in art, music, and lifestyle, and partnership activations.” An example of the latter is a collaboration with Marvel and its upcoming films, Black Widow and Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings.

The i4 should hit 62 mph in around four seconds. BMWOf course, there will also be opportunities to test drive many of BMW’s plug-in hybrids.

BMW’s first purpose-built EV, i3, was launched in 2013, and then came the hybrid-electric BMW i8 coupe in 2014. At the moment BMW offers plug-in hybrid versions of the 3-Series, 5-Series, 7-Series, X3, and X5. We’ll see the fifth-generation of BMW’s electric drivetrain in the iX and i4.

Mini is expected to go all-electric by 2030. It offers the Mini Cooper SE EV and Mini Cooper Countryman SE plug-in hybrid.

BMW said it expects its global EV sales to rise 20 percent annually between 2025 and 2030. The company also said that by 2030 it expects EVs to account for “at least 50 percent of the BMW Group’s deliveries to customers.”

The iX and i4 are also the first two vehicles in the lineup with iDrive 8, the newest iteration of the vehicle interface. It’s “designed to deliver a more natural interactive and holistic user experience between the driver and their BMW,” the company said.

According to BMW, it aspires to “lead the way in terms of sustainability.” It says it has set “clear decarbonization targets between now and the year 2030 – for the first time across the entire life cycle of the products – including the supply chain, the production process and right up to the end-of-life phase. In every aspect of the Group’s activities, carbon emissions per vehicle are to be significantly reduced by at least one third compared to 2019.”

BMW says as an example that the electricity used to produce the iX in Dingolfing and the i4 in Munich is generated via hydroelectric plants in Bavaria. “The use of renewable green electricity to produce the battery cells, combined with the increased use of secondary materials, reduces carbon emissions in the BMW iX supply chain by 17 percent compared to the same vehicle produced without these initiatives,” the company said.

In addition BMW says it also cutting its use of critical raw materials. It has “reduced the amount of cobalt in the cathode material for the current fifth-generation battery cells to less than ten percent and increased the amount of secondary nickel it uses by up to 50 percent.”
BMW Is Launching Its Two New EVs on June 1 (autoweek.com)
Old 01-05-2022, 09:15 AM

Received 5,370 Likes on 3,682 Posts
https://www.carscoops.com/2022/01/bm...hingly-trippy/

CES 2022 has kicked off and BMW has used an all-electric iX to debut an innovative paint scheme that changes colors.

In the lead-up to the show, the German car manufacturer confirmed that it would demonstrate “a technology that changes the exterior color of a vehicle with the touch of a button.” No other details about the paint have been released by BMW at this stage but a video has been uploaded by Twitter user ‘Out of Spec Studios’ that shows it in action.

The clip starts off by showing the iX bathed in a simple shade of dark grey but all of a sudden, it changes to white, seemingly after a man standing next to the SUV activated the system. The paint then begins to transition from grey to white. It is so bizarre that you could be fooled into thinking that this video was completely fake and simply the work of CGI.

Car manufacturers and technology companies routinely debut innovative technologies and features at CES and while many of them hit the market, many don’t. It is unclear if BMW has any intention of offering its customers the option of color-changing paint like this or if it has been developed exclusively as a technical showcase.

The individual who uploaded this video to Twitter claims that the paint is very temperature sensitive and that BMW has brought along a backup vehicle if the iX featured gets either too hot or too cold.
https://www.carscoops.com/wp-content...ing-Paint.webm
Old 01-05-2022, 12:11 PM

^ That would be super cool. It does beg the question though about repairs and how expensive it would be to fix scratches, eventual dings, etc.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:22 PM
Team Owner

perfect getaway car as long as the getaway is within range
Comfy (01-05-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 12:42 PM

Received 5,370 Likes on 3,682 Posts

Hard pass on the option, though it is pretty cool.
Can't imagine the maintenance on it, nor the initial option cost.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:56 PM
Team Owner

Instead of the useless color changing paint, they should fix the freaking nose of the 4 series, M3/M4 and i4...
ttribe (01-06-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 01:01 PM
Ex-OEM King

Color changing paint will probably be a $30k option that no one is going to get lol.

They did the color changing paint as an active system to hide the nose. When you're driving it, it's whatever color car you want it to be. When you park, it switches to black to hide the nose.
Old 01-05-2022, 02:25 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,116 Likes on 2,555 Posts
BMW solving a non-existing problem but then again many auto makers do that

Quick Reply: BMW: Development and Technology News