Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 12:12 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really fascinating pictures. Thank you! I finally remembered where I've seen the TL's wheels before -- on a Ferrari!
Old 10-18-2003, 06:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Test-Drove the new Acura TL

So at the dealer's with 45 min to spare so I had to be quick. This was a short drive, but that's what I expected since it's always short when the model is very new. It happens with all dealers with all makes.

First Impression:

The car looks BETTER from up close. Live. It looks a lot more sculptured and there is a lot of attention to detail to the exterior design. You cant see it on internet photos. You have to see the car up close. I sat on my knees to look at the lower portion of the rear facia and it looks great.

On a side-note, I looked at a TSX directly up-front and I can definitely tell you that the car ALREADY looks dated! The front of the car needs a facelift desparately. Back to the TL.

Pop the hood. Yes lots of plastic, but at the sides. The engine has no more plastic than others in the class. What Acura did was tried to hide the left and right sides of the engine BAY, not the engine itself. And it makes sense. It looks better. No gaps, no hoses and wires shown at all. Like other luxury cars.

Trunk Space:

Not as small as described by others. From memory, I can guess that it still beats the A4 and the 3 Series. It is smaller than my CLS' but not super smaller. There is still enough room in there for the category.

Interior:

First thing? You sit on the seats. First feeling? Seats are more comfortable than those in my CLS' And that says a lot because I have sat in very, very few cars that had more comfortable seats than those in my car. The Volvo S60 was one of them.

Let me tell you...this interior is a leap ahead compared to my CLS' It's better on ALL counts. The attention to detail is now par with the best from Germany and Japan. The materials used are some of the best (but not as good as the best - but when considering the price, they are STELLAR!). The fit and finish is up there with the best, easily.

The interior had a VERY clear sports tone to it and that sometimes tricks you into thinking that the interior is not as luxurious. I had it happen to me with other cars, like BMWs and Audis. So imagine if we get a TL with a different trim/tone...wood, etc. A more classic trim. I am guessing that, then, the interior will look like some of the best interiors out there today.

Everything you touch inside is a step or two than that in my CLS. Softer, more rigid, smoother, of better quality overall.

The GPS screen is HUGE. The largest I have seen in any car I have sat in, ever. I like that.

Because I did not have much time, I told the dealer to skip the feature presentation and go to the driving part and so she did. She tried to demo the speech recognition and started talking about blue tooth, etc. That's when I said, "I prefer seeing how this car handles and drives at this point in time..."

The moon roof is not much larger, but opens up all the way.

The rear seats look and are comfortable for...rear seat standards. I sat right behind the driver's seat, where I was sitting before, and my knees were hitting the front of the seat. I am 6 feet tall. So, two, 6 footers sitting behind each other...one wont be SUPER comfortable. But then again, this is a shorter car than the older car and it's got more room than a 3 Series.

The space under the arm rest seemed smaller to me than that in my CLS. But it now has a coin holder on the "upper deck". Which is usefull because I got coins/change all over the place in my car.

DRIVING:

First thing that is totally evident is the STEERING FEEL. BY FAR! superior to the CLS'. And that says a alot I think. Dont forget that I am comparing a sedan to a coupe. So...

The steering is heavier, WAY more accurate on center feel and clearly more accurate on the rest of the "range". Very close to a 3 Series' steering feel.

NOTE: I was driving the car without the sports package (dealer said, you have to special-order that). I also was driving the auto tranny car (dealer said the same for the manual tranny - special order needed).

Second evident characteristic: The car absorbs road anomalies and bumps MUCH better than my CLS. Very nice.

Third evidenct fact? The car is WAY BETTER insulated! Much better. One of the things that I dont like about my CLS is that it gets noisy on the highway after 70mph. And I am above that speed 99% of the time when on the highway.

So combine the above 2 facts with the fact that the car feels clearly more rigid than my car and you get a car that drives like a true luxury sedan. Good job here as well.

TRANNY

Drove in sportshift mode at all times. The tranny is clearly smoother and quicker when changing gears. To this day, I am not sure of what the gear ratios are. Dealer had NO brochures left to give me. I take that as a good sign for the TL. Unless if the dealer dropped the ball and ordered less than they should have.

ENGINE

This car, overall, did not feel faster than my stock CLS, but for sure it felt more flexible at the mid rpm range. Which tricks you into thinking that it's faster/quicker. But because I am not sure what the gear ratios are, I cant tell if it's mostly the engine, or the ratios. In 3rd gear, the car was clearly more flexible. And I am comparing a brand new, not broken-in engine, to a 3.5 year old car.

With better insulation you dont get to hear the outside noise but you also dont get to hear the engine's sound. I tell ya. When it's dry and below 60 out, and above 5K rpm, to this day, I still believe that our engine is the best sounding 6 cylinder engine I have ever driven. Only the sound of the new Z at very low rpm can compare and possibly beat us, but only from 1K to 3K rpm. After that, it changes nuances and it ruins it in my opinion.

So. The TL. The nuance is the same and it's clearly getting louder when VTEC changes cam lobes, but because the loudness is nowhere near that of the CLS', you dont get anywhere close to the experience you get in my car. I know that the above is subjective and it's a preference issue, so some may disagree with me.

Overall, engine sound = average.

HANDLING and BRAKING

I cant say that I drove the car very fast on sharp turns, so I am not gonna comment on that. Also, I did not break harder than 50% so I wont comment on that either.

Overall, I think the TL is more than a step ahead for Acura as compared to the previous model.

--------------------------------

The rep brought their manager out later and talked to me about what else I am thinking in buying. I said the G35 and the A4. He said, the A4 is expensive and the G35 is RWD which is bad for Chicago winters. I noded in agreement cos I had another 2 min to spare. Wife waiting at a store a mile away.

Earlier I told the rep what I drive and the manager brought it up. "So you got a 2001 CL...is it a Type S?" "How many miles does it have?" When I said 28K, both suddenly sounded very interested for a trade in. "I cant find enough used CLs to sell", the manager said.

I am thinking, the guy wants to make $3K on the TL and another 2K on my CLS when reselling it. What a joke. CARMAX will be my second choice, only if I cant sell the car for a long time myself. The dealer aint getting it.

Finally, the rep kept saying that she has very few cars and all are sold. If I wanted one, I would have to put a deposit down. "Even over the phone" she said. ALso, the dealer had $660 worth of bullshit dealer installed options on the car, like dent protection and a lip spoiler. BAD sign.

I am thinking, if I were to buy a TL, I would wait AT LEAST 9 months from now.

On the way to the house and while on the highway, I see the first new TL on the road. Interesting coincidence.

I will be re-testing the TL at another dealer's in the near future.
Old 10-18-2003, 06:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Additional sidenote: I got in an RSX and an RL.

The RSX' interior is actually less qualitative than I expected and remembered it being from Auto Show visits . It's not Honda-like but it's not Acura-like either. Especially when compared to the new TL and the TSX. It's clear that Acura interiors are now of the best in the category since the TSX was introduced.

The RL looks BAD and TOTALLY DATED from the front. WORSE than it does on the pictures, if that's possible.

The interior is...in a word...GREAT. Because it's got that classic trim to it (unlike the new TL), it shows all its potential. The fit and finish is Lexus-like. Material quality is TOP NOTCH. It's roomier inside that one would think when looking at the car from the outside.

There was a brand new Mercedes SL500 with the top down in there. The car looks a lot cheaper than the money it costs from the outside (and I have said that before). Interior is up there, but the car just gives me that plasticky look and feel from the outside. Just something there that makes it a total turn off for me.
Old 10-18-2003, 06:31 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

great review!
Old 10-18-2003, 06:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Zapata
great review!
Hey go back to work

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2003, 06:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gav.. Great review! You really are by far the best at writing reviews on this site!
Old 10-18-2003, 06:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by cusdaddy
Gav.. Great review! You really are by far the best at writing reviews on this site!
Although I have read some nice reviews in the past here and although I thought not even posting the above, since I my experience with the new TL was so short,...thanks for the nice words.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:21 PM
Safety Car

sounded ok, sure its nicer like the accord is nicer than the previous gen but its still an accord when all is said and done. i don't know what acura is trying to do, but whatever it is, its not a very aggressive plan, more like something to maintain current sales rather than grow into something more.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by heyitsme
sounded ok, sure its nicer like the accord is nicer than the previous gen but its still an accord when all is said and done. i
If you think this new TL "is an Accord when all is said and done", you ought to go out and test drive both cars.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
where did you test drive it? I think i will take my dads car into service and test drive the new TL
Old 10-18-2003, 08:24 PM
Safety Car

i was saying the new accord is nicer than the previous gen, but its still an accord, like the new tl is nicer than the previous tl, but its still a tl, no legend of the past or bmw killer.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:34 PM
Senior Moderator

wasnt the legend 45k new?

and TL was never suppose to be a bmw killer
Old 10-18-2003, 08:51 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
wasnt the legend 45k new?

and TL was never suppose to be a bmw killer

wasn't supposed to be but is..........
Old 10-18-2003, 09:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
where did you test drive it? I think i will take my dads car into service and test drive the new TL
At Orland Park.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by heyitsme
i was saying the new accord is nicer than the previous gen, but its still an accord, like the new tl is nicer than the previous tl, but its still a tl, no legend of the past or bmw killer.

The TL is supposed to compete with the ES 330 and the Audi A4 1.8T. Those 2 for sure it competes very well with, if not beats.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Zapata
wasn't supposed to be but is..........

move to japan already :P
Old 10-18-2003, 09:33 PM
Kabachitare!

Interesting. I wonder how the new 270hp TL will stack up against the G35 sedan....
Old 10-19-2003, 04:36 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Great review Gav, but I gotta disagree about the TSX. I think it's a breath of fresh air.

The reason I like it so much is because it's not overly Americanified.
Old 10-19-2003, 04:45 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
As usual...Great Job Gav!!!!
Old 10-19-2003, 03:13 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome review. I got to get out there and test drive one too.
Old 10-19-2003, 04:08 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
nice review

just wish it came in awd
Old 10-19-2003, 04:59 PM
TQ > MPG

Nice review

Do you think your opinion may be a little different than say an owner of a 03 CL-S? I mean you are comparing a much older car in terms of ride/handling/road noise etc.

I'm gonna have to go check one out also, just for shits & giggles.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:01 PM
A good use of strategery

Originally posted by unsure

just wish it came in awd
I definitely agree, on count of the TL, as well as tons of other cars out there. Wish car designers would get with the times and see that their customers want more these days.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by charliemike
Great review Gav, but I gotta disagree about the TSX. I think it's a breath of fresh air.

The reason I like it so much is because it's not overly Americanified.
My problem was only with the front of the car. The absolute front of it. The lights and facia need a lot of work.

Thanks for the good words.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by 1killercls
As usual...Great Job Gav!!!!

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by jtkz13
Nice review

Do you think your opinion may be a little different than say an owner of a 03 CL-S? I mean you are comparing a much older car in terms of ride/handling/road noise etc.

I'm gonna have to go check one out also, just for shits & giggles.

I test drove an 03 MT CLS when it first came out. I did not notice any big difference with anything else but the tranny and slightly different behavior of the engine due to the much shorter gearing.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I am almost certain that the TL will get an AWD option next year. But I dont think this engine has enough torque to keep the "get up and go" feeling you get currently with it. They need a 3.5 liter engine, even if they keep the peak HP the same, torque will increase significantly and that will be fine with AWD.

Then again, we get a 325 AWD car these days, but BMW is from another planet sometimes.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:56 PM

Great review dude!
Old 10-19-2003, 06:09 PM
TQ > MPG

Originally posted by gavriil
I test drove an 03 MT CLS when it first came out. I did not notice any big difference with anything else but the tranny and slightly different behavior of the engine due to the much shorter gearing.
I was just curious because you were comparing an 01 to an 04, thats all. I actually think my CL is damn quiet on the expressway, but then again i'm comparing it to 2 Ford's with summer tires, so maybe my perspective is a little off.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:36 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by jtkz13
I was just curious because you were comparing an 01 to an 04, thats all. I actually think my CL is damn quiet on the expressway, but then again i'm comparing it to 2 Ford's with summer tires, so maybe my perspective is a little off.
Oh I see. No comparison with non-luxury cars. I get that feeling when I travel on business and rent cars. I was in LA last week and had a Ford Escape as a rental. I thought it was a cabrio when on the highway. I could hear everything happening outside with all windows up.

Maybe the other car spoiles me. Not sure.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:48 PM
Racer

Acura TL: High-tech love affair

http://www.canada.com/technology/sto...4-33208FD56A61

Acura TL: High-tech love affair

Bob McHugh
The Province

Friday, October 24, 2003

Last month, I fell in love with the new Acura TSX. And there were lots of TSX reminders in the all-new, third-generation 2004 Acura TL, which I drove for the first time last week.

The TL is a step up in size and luxury appointments, comes with a potent V6 engine, and is already a top seller in a highly competitive market segment.

The TL was originally introduced in 1995, replacing the Acura Vigor. The major change on the second-generation TL, launched in the autumn of '98, was a switch to the Honda Accord platform.

A new more-for-less price strategy was a big hit with consumers and quickly established TL as a market leader in its class.

The '04, third-generation TL continues on this path, as it offers better performance than the current high-performance version of TL, called the Type S, for less money.

Although extremely well equipped in its base form, the new TL can also be ordered with either a "Dynamic" or a "NAVI" optional package, but not both.

A six-speed, close-ratio manual transmission is only available on the TL with the "Dynamic" package. This option is obviously aimed at driving enthusiasts as it also includes a limited-slip differential, Brembo brakes, and high-performance summer tires (an interesting offering in Canada).

The high-tech "NAVI" package is primarily (as the name suggests) a satellite-guided navigational system with an eight-inch, centre-dash display screen.

An additional high-tech feature of this package is voice recognition in either French (Quebec dialect) or English.

It obeys up to 180 voice commands that can also control the audio, climate-control and phone-system functions.

The TL also claims the first application of "Bluetooth" phone technology in a production vehicle, which allows a wireless interface with a personal cellphone.

It's a super-convenient system that eliminates the need for a separate car phone or a hands-free hook-up to a personal cellphone.

Another high-tech first for the TL is a DVD-audio system. Although similar to a CD player, DVD-A offers even better sound clarity and incredibly realistic surround-sound reproduction.

You can also play regular audio CD's on this system -- and no, it doesn't play movies.

The Looks:

Apart from a deep side crease and a different trunk/tail-lamp design, the overall shape of the TL is quite similar to that of the TSX, which is not a bad thing.

The TL's body is longer and wider than the TSX, its wheels track a considerably wider path and its front and rear axles are set 70-mm (three inches) farther apart.

A 24-per-cent improvement in rigidity has been achieved through the use of high-tensile steel in 48 per cent of the TL's redesigned body, and it also has a new front sub-frame, made from a light but strong aluminium alloy.

Improved interior quietness was also made possible through the use of a new sound-deadening product called Thinsulate (made by 3M) plus thicker window glass.

The narrow-profile headlights are bi-functional high-intensity-discharge high/low beams.

A shutter device mechanically controls the light output of each HID unit.

You can also mix and match the interior and exterior colour schemes, when you order a new TL -- something Acura has not offered in the past.

The Works:

The new-generation, aluminum-alloy, 3.2-litre V6 produces 270 h.p. and 238 lb.-ft. of torque, which even surpasses the current TL Type S engine(260 h.p. and 232 lb.-ft.). There's no change in fuel economy and it also meets ULEV (ultra-low emissions vehicle) requirements.

The short-throw, six-speed manual transmission is the same as offered in the current 3.2CL Type S coupe, a model which has been discontinued. It also comes with a helical-gear-type limited-slip differential, which reduces wheel spin on acceleration.

The automatic transmission has a new, simplified five-position shift gate (replacing the current eight-position gate).

In addition to a "D" (Drive) position in the automatic mode, it now just has an "L" (Low) position (instead of 1,2,3 and 4).

Used for descending steep hills, the "L" position downshifts the transmission to the lowest possible gear ratio to provide engine braking. This transmission also offers a semi-manual mode of operation.

The Inside:

The TSX connection is even more apparent on the inside. The instrument panel, steering wheel and cockpit layout are almost identical, which is a good thing as it was a highlight of the TSX.

The TL has a larger cabin, compared with its predecessor, and is fitted with soft-leather upholstery and tastefully trimmed with aluminum, wood or carbon-fibre-look accents.

The extra 28 litres (one cubic foot) of interior space allows more headroom front and rear, plus extra front leg and shoulder room. Contoured front seat backs also allow an additional 30 mm (1.2 inches) of knee room for rear passengers.

Lots of adjustments allow you to find that perfect driving position. The leather-wrapped, four-spoke steering wheel has a telescope adjustment in addition to a tilt feature. The driver's bucket-style seat is eight-way adjustable, and includes a power lumbar support.

The Drive:

The TL quickly makes you feel at home behind the wheel. The learning period is short as most controls are where you expect them to be, there are no "fiddly" little switches to figure out, the instrument panel is easy to read, and there are lots of places to put your stuff.

Other than a soft growl on hard acceleration, the V6 engine is normally super quiet and pulls well from low engine speeds. Acura claims a commendable 0-to-60-m.p.h. (96 km/h) acceleration time of 6.3 seconds with the manual transmission.

Both transmissions were a treat to use and, for a change, the automatic impressed me more. The revised shift gate is easier to use and its speedy reaction to driver throttle inputs in the "D" (or Drive) mode is outstanding.

Some drivers may not like the manual's light clutch, which has a relatively short amount of pedal travel.

In addition to engine power and calmness, the TL driving experience is also subtly different than that of the TSX.

Both have excellent handling characteristics, but the TL is heavier and my initial impression is that it's not as well balanced for a twisty stuff.

On the other hand, the TL has a more comfortable ride and, at higher speeds, is a more stable cruiser.

The Score:

Improvements and new high-tech features on the 2004 Acura TL take this accomplished sports sedan another step up the performance ladder.

The good news for consumers is that the new TL offers even better value, in addition to reaching a new level of auto affluence.

THE SPECS

2004 Acura TL

Trim levels:

TL $40,800

TL Dynamic Package $41,800

TL NAVI Package $44,000

Base engine: 3.2-litre 24-valve VTEC V6

Power: 270 h.p. @ 6,200 r.p.m.

Fuel consumption: 11.6/7.6 L/100 km (city/highway)

The Competition:

BMW 3-Series: $42,000 to $63,800

Cadillac CTS: $39,000 to $53,835

Chrysler 300M: $40,910 to $44,385

Infiniti G35: $39,400 to $42,500

Jaguar X-Type: $41,095 to $48,095

Lincoln LS: $43,750 to $57,105

Saab 9-5: $42,000 to $55,000

Volvo V60: $36,495 to $60,495

On the web:

Acura Canada: www.acura.ca

B.C. Automobile Association: www.bcaa.com

The Province: www.canada.com

Bob McHugh is the senior technical adviser for BCAA.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:15 PM
Pro

Good find, thanks acura_driver!
Old 10-29-2003, 09:05 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Here is the TL's engine under the hood. As you see there is a lot of plastic coverage but mainly on the sides.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:05 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Also, notice the 5W20 motor oil requirement.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Acura Letter about window sticker booboos

I got this letter in the mail from Acura that addresses some well-known issues we knew about even before the release around here. I suppose it is going to the owners of early VIN numbers. When I visited my dealer recently, I was given a modified window sticker without the information. Oh, well, now I've got a correct one and an incorrect one. Doesn't matter, the car still rocks.

Said by Acura
Dear Bob:

Thank you for your purchase of an all-new 2004 TL. We are confident that your new Acura will bring you many years of enjoyment.

We regret to inform you of two typographical errors that occurred on some TL window labels. The label on your vehicle may indicate that your TL is equipped with front and rear belt pretensioners. TLs are equipped with front seatbelt pretensioners, but not front and rear as may be listed on your label. Also, your window label may read "power outsdie mirrors with turn indicators," however, 2004 TL models do not have turn indicators on the outside mirrors.

Your all-new TL features a wide array of the latest safety technologies including side and curtain airbags, vehicle stability assist (VSA), and many other standard features. Rest assured, your new TL was manufactured as designed and meets or exceeds all safety regulations.

We apologize for any inconvenience this situation may have caused you. Thank you again for your TL purchase and for your understanding concerning this matter. If you have any questions or concerns please, do not hesistate to contact Acura Client Services directly at 800-382-2238.

Sincerely,
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

Richard Colliver
Executive Vice President
Automobile sales
Old 11-03-2003, 09:11 PM
Pro

I wonder if I will get one, I am only a few digits less than you, but got the corrected window sticker?

I wonder if they will send a letter explaining why the car is 3" less than the owners manual says (it states 189.2" like some of the press releases on the acuranews site stated).

Hmmm, maybe they can add a bumper extension!

Thanks for the post!
Old 11-03-2003, 09:35 PM
Burning Brakes

whoa why no rear belt pretensioners?
Old 11-03-2003, 10:21 PM
Pro

Originally posted by RJC RSX
whoa why no rear belt pretensioners?
Cost? Not child friendly as it pulls against a kids neck?
Old 11-04-2003, 06:48 AM
Burning Brakes

hmm i had thought all cars had pretensioners
Old 11-04-2003, 07:36 AM
Pro

Originally posted by RJC RSX
hmm i had thought all cars had pretensioners
Up until a few years ago, very few cars had pretensioners. Seatbelts in all cars will "lock up" when braking hard, but pretensioners will pull the seatbelt back as to make it very snug and tight on your body in the event of an accident. Don't quote me on this, but I believe the last gen Accord didn't even have them.

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News