Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 03:54 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm... it looks good. too bad we already saw the real thing.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any idea on the price of the new TL???
I read that it will be more than 260hp FWD. FWD yeah...yeah you guys are still griping about that.
I want to get the TSX but I want to wait till the beginning of the year. So I figure I could possibly save some more bucks to purchase the TL if it is irresistible.

It will be a six with DOHC right? Not like the SOHC 98-2003 Accords.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:18 PM
Suzuka Master

I do not think anyone has come forward to say whether or not the engine will be DOHC this time.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:53 PM
Acura/Honda Fan

Smile 2004 TL Horsepower - Verified

The 2004 RSX Brochures were delivered today. No changes to the RSX. The best part of the brochure is what it says about the TL & MDX.

The back of the brochure has the 2004 model line up with a brief description.

2004 TL with 270-HP VTEC V-6 with 4 wheel double wishbone suspension.

2004 MDX is up to 265 HP!
Old 07-31-2003, 06:02 PM
Racer

Re: 2004 TL Horsepower - Verified

Originally posted by MrJumbo
I hope the displacement has increased to 3.4L or 3.5L to increase the torque a bit. While I'm generally happy with the performance of my CL-S, I'd guess the 04TL will be a bit heavier.

-r
Old 07-31-2003, 06:11 PM
Racer

BTW, I sent an e-mail to AutoWeek a few days ago asking when they expected to have a review of the 04TL. I heard back today that it should be in an early September issue. I sent a similar request to Road & Track, but I've not heard back from them yet. I'm hoping it is in the October issue that is sent out in September.

-r
Old 07-31-2003, 06:33 PM
Instructor

Mr Jumbo,

Is the only color change to the RSX is Milano Red/Titanium?

Did the RSX brochure have small photos of the TL and MDX? If so, I assume the TL looks the same as the pics we've seen. Any physical changes to the MDX?

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2003, 06:55 PM
Acura/Honda Fan

RSX Colors

Milano Red is the only change.

There are small pictures of the MDX & TL. The TL is what we've already seen and the MDX has a new front bumper and wheels.

I'll try to scan it later.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:00 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
not bad

since the base tl went from 225hp to 270hp...hmm i wonder what the type S tL will be like
Old 07-31-2003, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Re: RSX Colors

Milano Red is the only change.

There are small pictures of the MDX & TL. The TL is what we've already seen and the MDX has a new front bumper and wheels.

I'll try to scan it later.
Thanks, I look forward to it!!
Old 07-31-2003, 07:44 PM
Eat my shorts!!

so 270 to the front wheels. its apparent that Honda cannot hide away from torque steer now.
btw, i am 90% sure it will be fwd bc the pictures of the undercarriage shows suspension components and nothing else for the rear wheels.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:58 PM
Suzuka Master

OK, we have half the mystery. Does anyone know how much torque will be mated with that 270?

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Acura boosted the displacement and will produce Nissan/Infiniti like (260+) torque numbers!?!?!?!
Old 07-31-2003, 08:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Isn't the most common complaint about Honda/Acura is that we don't have torque? Wouldn't it be ironic if we suddenly produced a car that had torque steer? Somehow I doubt both will happen: The car will have the same torque as the current model, and no torque steer.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:18 PM
Intermediate

04 TL price

I talked to my dealer tonight and he estimated the price to be between 33 and 35. His manager also said the release date was going to be mid to late October which sucks for me since I totaled my 01TL and am going to wait for the '04TL.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:28 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Its not for certain that we will even see a type-s. One thing is for sure, if there is a type-s it will most definatly have to be AWD because even 270 is at the limit of what can be realistically sent to the front wheels only.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:40 PM
More On

If you can tell us this stuff, what's keeping you from telling us the dimensions of the car?

At this point -- no offense and pardon the sharpness, but everything else is pretty close to BS. We already had a close idea of the things you just told us about; whether it's a few iotas one way or the other doesn't change the basic picture.

However, there is such a wide range of notions floating around on the size of the car, that we're talking very different possible types of cars. Is the length 185"? 190"? Or maybe even (as DNB calculated) 180"?

Until you (or somebody) can tell us that, everything else you're telling us is plenty o' nuttin'.

(Which maybe is the point?)
Old 07-31-2003, 08:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Larch,

He said it was just a brief description in the RSX brochure. They don't list detail specs for the TL in the RSX literature. You keep asking the same question, and we keep giving you the same answer: No one has told us exactly what the length is.

I CAN say the same thing I said a long time ago, unofficially its "a couple of inches smaller than the currrent TL" To me "a couple" is two. It's certainly more than "one" (the statement would have been "it's an inch smaller than the current TL") and less than a few. I say 190 inches. Afterall, the Accord is 189.5 and I can't see this car being smaller! It seems like common sense to me.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Re: 2004 TL Horsepower - Verified

I'm almost sold on the new TL. A BASE TL with 270 HP. I'm at least going on a test drive in early October when they hit the dealership....
Old 07-31-2003, 09:18 PM
Pro

Originally posted by acura_driver
BTW, I sent an e-mail to AutoWeek a few days ago asking when they expected to have a review of the 04TL. I heard back today that it should be in an early September issue. I sent a similar request to Road & Track, but I've not heard back from them yet. I'm hoping it is in the October issue that is sent out in September.

-r
acura_driver - Justin indicated that there was a press embargo untill Sept 1, so all the issues that come out in mid month, will miss it by two weeks, Autoweek should be first as they are weekly.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:26 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Colin
Isn't the most common complaint about Honda/Acura is that we don't have torque? Wouldn't it be ironic if we suddenly produced a car that had torque steer? Somehow I doubt both will happen: The car will have the same torque as the current model, and no torque steer.
I agree, no torque, no torque steer, always figured this, either that or it will produce gobs of torque at high revs (gee, that is the secret that Acura holds)!
Old 07-31-2003, 09:52 PM
More On

.....You keep asking the same question, and we keep giving you the same answer: No one has told us exactly what the length is..... I say 190 inches. Afterall, the Accord is 189.5 and I can't see this car being smaller! It seems like common sense to me.
Thanks, Colin, for being specific like that. (I guess that means you think DNB and AD's very careful calculations are way, way off???)

The reason I keep asking the same question is not so much to be begging for an answer, but mainly to remind people that they don't know nothin' about the car until they know this -- so maybe they should cool their tool; and maybe they should put out the word that this other stuff don't mean squat until we get something more definite about the dimensions -- and then maybe the powers that be will be forced to put that info out.

It's like this: Suppose you're running a basketball team. Your scout tells you about this stud kid he's found, and he says you should start building your team around him etc. etc., and he tells you the guy's foot speed, his arm strength, his SAT scores, his hair color, his mother's maiden name......... but not his height and weight. What can you do with all that? Almost nothing at all.

A car's size is just about that significant too. Until we find out about that, we don't know if we're talking about a strong, fast gazelle, a strong fast elephant, or something in between.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:03 PM
Intermediate

[QUOTE]Originally posted by EmuMessenger
Not true, I had a 25th anniversary Cobra (1994) and that thing was like a tank.

I bet the current Cobra or any Mustang is in the 3500 pound range. My 03 Cobra weighs 3665lb.s.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:06 PM
More On

Originally posted by ViperLuke
I bet the current Cobra or any Mustang is in the 3500 pound range. My 03 Cobra weighs 3665lb.s.
Hi, welcome! Cool wheels.

But base Mustang is 3066 (as said before).
Old 07-31-2003, 10:17 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 04 TL price

Originally posted by Bsweety
I talked to my dealer tonight and he estimated the price to be between 33 and 35. His manager also said the release date was going to be mid to late October which sucks for me since I totaled my 01TL and am going to wait for the '04TL.
The official release date is Oct 6th...the chart is listed somewhere in all the TL threads. As usual they are wrong.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by fdl
Its not for certain that we will even see a type-s. One thing is for sure, if there is a type-s it will most definatly have to be AWD because even 270 is at the limit of what can be realistically sent to the front wheels only.
oh really ...dont tell that to my 320 hp CL
Old 07-31-2003, 10:42 PM
Intermediate

[QUOTE]Originally posted by EmuMessenger
[B]I looked at, drove and loved the S60R. Great Brembo brakes, great acceleration, bi-xenon headlights, curtain airbags, dual-zone CC, comfortable seats, good looking (IMHO) too.

Down side, closer to $45k when I added things like 18" wheels and Navi. I also found the shifter to be a little strange and if my memory serves me right, the color I wanted was extra. Although, I would shell out that kind of cash for the TL if it was AWD, 300HP, etc.

Hi All!

Been watching this board for a couple of weeks and it has been very entertaining. I own one of the first 99TLs off of the truck and I also own a Volvo AWD vehicle.

I am quite surprised that anyone would have both of these cars on a short list. They are very different. Even my 99 Acura feels much sportier than the Volvo which with AWD is a very heavy feeling car. The viscous coupling that Volvo has been using in their AWD vehicles feels a bit like you are stretching a rubber band between the engines and the wheels. Not exactly my idea of a sporty car. The Volvo uses a turbo to obtain the HP, which like nearly all turbos is a little slow getting started compared to the Acura.

The Volvo has been a good car, but the upkeep has been much more expensive than my Acura. The only thing that saved me was a fantastic dealer that worked on the issues with Volvo corporate.

If it were my money, I'd stick with the TL. In fact, I think I will take my own advice. Looking forward to the new TL.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: 04 TL price

Originally posted by justinjsw
As usual they are wrong.
....I'm sure they'd call it "managing expectations..."
Old 08-01-2003, 01:39 AM
Advanced

[QUOTE]Originally posted by first99TL
[B]
Originally posted by EmuMessenger
I looked at, drove and loved the S60R. Great Brembo brakes, great acceleration, bi-xenon headlights, curtain airbags, dual-zone CC, comfortable seats, good looking (IMHO) too.

Down side, closer to $45k when I added things like 18" wheels and Navi. I also found the shifter to be a little strange and if my memory serves me right, the color I wanted was extra. Although, I would shell out that kind of cash for the TL if it was AWD, 300HP, etc.

Hi All!

Been watching this board for a couple of weeks and it has been very entertaining. I own one of the first 99TLs off of the truck and I also own a Volvo AWD vehicle.

I am quite surprised that anyone would have both of these cars on a short list. They are very different. Even my 99 Acura feels much sportier than the Volvo which with AWD is a very heavy feeling car. The viscous coupling that Volvo has been using in their AWD vehicles feels a bit like you are stretching a rubber band between the engines and the wheels. Not exactly my idea of a sporty car. The Volvo uses a turbo to obtain the HP, which like nearly all turbos is a little slow getting started compared to the Acura.

The Volvo has been a good car, but the upkeep has been much more expensive than my Acura. The only thing that saved me was a fantastic dealer that worked on the issues with Volvo corporate.

If it were my money, I'd stick with the TL. In fact, I think I will take my own advice. Looking forward to the new TL.
first99TL, I'm sorry but you are very wrong in your conclusions - mostly because S60 never ever had viscous - it uses hi-perfomance haldex with few tricks on it.
http://modernracer.com/history/volvo...wdhistory.html
http://new.volvocars.com/r/specs.shtml
Basicaly all you said has absolutely nothing to do with S60 R at all
Old 08-01-2003, 02:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by fdl
What about all of the Cadillac engines that produce 300 HP, are front wheel drive and constantly praised for no torque steer and run on regular unleaded?

You can't tell me GM has engineers that are that much sharper than Honda.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:17 AM
2nd Gear

Exclamation I would be mighty dissappointed in Acura.....

Larch,

He said it was just a brief description in the RSX brochure. They don't list detail specs for the TL in the RSX literature. You keep asking the same question, and we keep giving you the same answer: No one has told us exactly what the length is.

I CAN say the same thing I said a long time ago, unofficially its "a couple of inches smaller than the currrent TL" To me "a couple" is two. It's certainly more than "one" (the statement would have been "it's an inch smaller than the current TL") and less than a few. I say 190 inches. Afterall, the Accord is 189.5 and I can't see this car being smaller! It seems like common sense to me.
.......if the vehicle ended up being 190 inches long :thumbsdn: .....I previously owned a 2000 TL/Navi and while I loved the car to pieces, I just HATED how long it was!!......Personally, I think Acura has finally come to their senses! In their press release they said the CONCEPT TL was "several" inches shorter than the current one. To me "several" means something like 9 or 10 inches ......which leads me to believe that the REAL THING will be "realistically" at least 5+ inches shorter than the current one, putting it somewhere around 185 to 187 inches long (current one is 192.5"). To me, this is "JUST RIGHT" for the TL, making it a tad longer at 3 to 4 inches more than the TSX, slotting it NICELY above it! This is, after all, a Sports Sedan, not a friggin limousine .....with the emphasis, on being NIMBLE AND SPORTY, not a freighter to carry cargo and people ........I will just point out 2 very capable Sedans with an emphasis on Sport that have been very "sensibly" sized: Infiniti G35 - 186.2" and BMW 5-Series at 188"! .......anything more than that and it becomes a big boat masquerading as a sporty vehicle .......and that's just what the new Honda Accord is: a floaty Soccer-Mom-mobile for Old people!. While this is perfectly acceptable for the Accord, cause that's the very demographic it's aimed at, it's certainly not acceptable for the TL's character ........Hopefully this new TL will not exceed 187" under any circumstances (keeping my fingers crossed )
Old 08-01-2003, 05:28 AM
More On

Re: I would be mighty dissappointed in Acura.....

Originally posted by vicpai
.......if the vehicle ended up being 190 inches long :thumbsdn: ........In their press release they said the CONCEPT TL was "several" inches shorter than the current one. To me "several" means something like 9 or 10 inches ......which leads me to believe that the REAL THING will be "realistically" at least 5+ inches shorter than the current one, putting it somewhere around 185 to 187 inches long (current one is 192.5"). To me, this is "JUST RIGHT".....This is, after all, a Sports Sedan, not a friggin limousine .....with the emphasis, on being NIMBLE AND SPORTY, not a freighter.......anything more than that and it becomes a big boat masquerading as a sporty vehicle .......and that's just what the new Honda Accord is: a floaty Soccer-Mom-mobile for Old people!....... )
Hey Vic -- can I buy you a drink?

Y'all believe this guy??????
Is there any one among you gonna believe he's not me in disguise??
Old 08-01-2003, 06:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: I would be mighty dissappointed in Acura.....

Originally posted by vicpai
To me "several" means something like 9 or 10 inches ......
i think you're right....my girlfriend was telling her girl friend my dick was several inches long...
Old 08-01-2003, 06:34 AM

More HP. I hope they added some glue or something to the tranny.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:44 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
270 sounds like somwhat of a dissapointment to me anyway. Only 10 more than the current S and only 10 more than the G35's 3.5 which has already been proven to puch out up to 287?? I think Acura should have come in at at least 280.

And don't tell me "but its actually pushing out 290" that does'nt sell cars.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:55 AM
Instructor

Hey guys, the horses sound pretty good to me, wish the torque was up a bit but Im sure it will move on just fine.

Did Acura include a NEW tranny for this car as well? Both Auto and 6speed or is the same as ther 03?
Old 08-01-2003, 09:14 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
sheesh

how much HP do u people really need

c'mon on now, the tl is a lux sedan, not a sports car...as long as it has over 244 lb ft of torque, it should be a pretty fast piece
Old 08-01-2003, 09:22 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by unsure
sheesh

how much HP do u people really need

c'mon on now, the tl is a lux sedan, not a sports car...as long as it has over 244 lb ft of torque, it should be a pretty fast piece
I really don't need much Horespower that's why I bought a TSX. But I'm not the one buying the TL. People shopping against Infiniti G35's, Maxima's and BMW's will be shopping for the TL. So IMO the more HP the better. They've only come 10HP above the G35 and 5 above the Max. By the time the 04 Nissan's hit dealers in the fall they may be pushing out more tahn the TL. Remember how Nissan bumped the Altima 5HP to 245 when Honda announced 240 in the new Accord ? They should be playing far ahead ofthe feild not with them. No 18's as it appears and now a lower than expected HP # is changing things I think.

When 04 TL talk started everyone was expecting 285-300 HP.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:56 AM
Suzuka Master

I can see how everyone would be disappointed, including me, but I would gladly take the 270 is Acura beefs up the displacement to get Nissan-like torque numbers.

Wouldn't everyone be thrilled to see 270HP and 255+ pound feet of torque?
Old 08-01-2003, 10:29 AM
Racer

I can see how everyone would be disappointed, including me, but I would gladly take the 270 is Acura beefs up the displacement to get Nissan-like torque numbers.

Yes, those numbers would be nice.

So long as the 0-60 times are in the low 6's I'll be happy. Of course if it is in the high 5's I'll be happier. I'm hoping it has overall performance equal or preferably better than the current TL-S and CL-S. (EDIT: For the TL w/auto.)

-r
Old 08-01-2003, 10:42 AM
Pro

I agree!

We would all like to se more (hell 340Hp sounds good), but we also need to be reasonable, a car in the 6.0 to 6.8 second range is fast!

In the mid 70's to early 80's even the performance cars did not do 0-60 in less than 8.5 (tubo trans ams, king cobra mustangs, etc).

I agree more is better, but the TL is not audi S4, or M3 or AMG (none of us can afford those cars around the 50K mark).

The bmw 540i sport (03) does 0-60 in 6.3 sec (same as current S-type).

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News