Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 01:37 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RJC RSX
we have way to many critics here, they don't know a good thing when they see it
Agreed!

...and while I am grateful for the pics, they aren't the best quality. You can't judge a car from pics. I remember seeing pics of the TSX and some made it look quite unflattering and even the best pics didn't really do it justice IMO.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:27 PM
Racer

I like everything cept for the bumper. I am already awaiting the count down of the first ww kit or a-spec front bumper that I can cover up the "ACURA" with.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:29 PM
Suzuka Master

How sure are you of that? I'm fairly certain it was year 2004, a model year wouldn't make sense
Here is an excerpt from an article regarding the monitors.

The law requires tire pressure monitors to come standard on all cars sold in the United States beginning with the 2004 model year.

Here is a link to the

Tire Pressure Monitor story.

Let me know if you interpret it the same way.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:29 PM
Intermediate

+/- (Sport Shift) lets you start in 2nd and everytime you stop it drops to 2nd, not 1st
Since when is this the case? Thats pretty absurd. Most cars I've driven with the sport shift drops to 1st and starts in 1st.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by PokeyD16Z
Since when is this the case? Thats pretty absurd. Most cars I've driven with the sport shift drops to 1st and starts in 1st.
Since the RSX at least. It drops to 1st and starts in 1st, but if you start in 2nd (which you can by pushing it up before driving) it will drop back into 2nd when you stop and start there again until you put it back into 1st from a stop
Old 07-27-2003, 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by EmuMessenger

The law requires tire pressure monitors to come standard on all cars sold in the United States beginning with the 2004 model year.

Here is a link to the

I did from that article, but here's another:

http://www.iberkshires.com/automotive/story5671.html

this one says the 2004 model year:

http://www.atxtechnologies.com/vrm/t...ns_monitor.asp

and to make it even more confusing:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...sum.html?name=

I guess we just wait and see
Old 07-27-2003, 02:42 PM
wiz
Pro

Originally posted by EmuMessenger

Here is a link to the

IF this was true, for the 2004 model year, then the TSX would have it...wouldn't it?
Old 07-27-2003, 02:50 PM
Intermediate

Since the RSX at least. It drops to 1st and starts in 1st, but if you start in 2nd (which you can by pushing it up before driving) it will drop back into 2nd when you stop and start there again until you put it back into 1st from a stop
Well, then that means its basically doing the same thing that gate shifting would do.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:55 PM
Pro

Re: Acura TL nose looks Like Pontiac Bonneville GXP

Originally posted by need4spd
I have attached a photo of the 2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP whose nose looks very similar to the 2004 Acura TL (just add the dealer installed fog lights, and it will be even closer).

I mentioned this in a previous post and promised a photo (this is the first time attaching a photo, so lets see what happens). This car was first shown at the 2002 SEMA and NY Auto Shows (vs 2003 for Acura), so it has been out there and Acura had time to correct simmalarities

Looking closely at the nose, it has very similar styling lines:

1. the bottom inlets at the sides with no center bottom inlet (pontiac molded into front at that spot)
2. the bumper lines that start low at the center, and rise at the corners,
3. The wrap around head light cluster with amber lens parking lights that wrap around the corner.
4. Smooth, high wrap around bumper to front fenders.
5. double kidnney gril that has overall 5 star look like Acura.
6. character lines that follow the outline of the gril up the hood
7. 18" 5 spoke wheels with brembos (235/50-18 appropriately sized in diameter btw)

Ok, after that the styling cues end (and it is a GM), but in the rear view mirror of the car ahead, or when passing by, the two will get confused.

Way to go ACURA, create your own brand identy and copy a PONTIAC front end (complete with the cheesey molded in ACURA in the bumper).

Other similarites are minor, ie HP on the GXP is 275 estimated (data per pontiac web site as of news release 7/1/03), torque 300ft-lbs, V-8 (4.4L variant of the 4.6 Northstar) 202.2" lenght (much longer).

Anyway, you get the drift, the FRONT NOSE on the ACURA TL, while good looking and agressive, looks too close to the Bonneville GXP (other Bonnevilles will be similar to this nose, but slightly differnt in the lower air intakes).

Sorry to break the news, but someone had to speak up on this!

Larger image available at: http://www.supercars.net/servlets/PW...tage/9car0.jpg

So do any of you believe Pontiac will sue Acura since BMW tried to sue GM for "coping the kiddney grill?
Old 07-27-2003, 03:06 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Dunno if this has been posted or not...

For each of the six trim models, these are your color options available:

Abyss Blue Pearl w/ Camel or Quartz interior
Nighthawk Black Pearl w/ Camel, Quartz, Parchment, or Ebony interior
Satin Silver Metallic w/ Quartz or Ebony
Anthracite Metallic w/ Ebony, Camel, Quartz
Redondo Red Pearl w/ Parchment, Camel, Ebony
White Diamond Pearl w/ Quartz, Parchment
Deep Green Pearl w/ Camel, Parchment
Desert Mist Metallic w/ Ebony, Parchment

Pretty nice variety!
Old 07-27-2003, 03:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by PokeyD16Z
Well, then that means its basically doing the same thing that gate shifting would do.
huh?
Old 07-27-2003, 03:19 PM
Pro

I know everyone is complaining about the design of the steering wheel, but did anyone notice the bulges just above the top spokes on both sides? I love that! It's the perfect spot to rest your thumbs when gripping the steering wheel. Both Audi and BMW steering wheels have had those on their 3 spoke steering wheels and they seem to really enhance the feeling of sportiness when carving through the twisties. I generally prefer thicker steering wheels found on German cars. To each their own I guess.
Old 07-27-2003, 04:28 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Acura TL nose looks Like Pontiac Bonneville GXP

Originally posted by Precision Crafted
So do any of you believe Pontiac will sue Acura since BMW tried to sue GM for "coping the kiddney grill?
Since the cars don't look at all alike, no, Pontiac will not try to sue Acura.
Old 07-27-2003, 04:36 PM
Instructor

Question Is deposit refundable if test drive fails to meet expectations?

What happens to your deposit if you test drive the '04 TL in October, find out that you don't like it, and decide not to buy the car?
Old 07-27-2003, 04:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by wiz
IF this was true, for the 2004 model year, then the TSX would have it...wouldn't it?
I agree, this is what's so confusing!

If it is a matter of two months, I will wait on my 04 TL until January. It seems silly for Acura to have a change two months in.
Old 07-27-2003, 04:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Dunno if this has been posted or not...

Originally posted by JRock
For each of the six trim models, these are your color options available:

Abyss Blue Pearl w/ Camel or Quartz interior
Nighthawk Black Pearl w/ Camel, Quartz, Parchment, or Ebony interior
Satin Silver Metallic w/ Quartz or Ebony
Anthracite Metallic w/ Ebony, Camel, Quartz
Redondo Red Pearl w/ Parchment, Camel, Ebony
White Diamond Pearl w/ Quartz, Parchment
Deep Green Pearl w/ Camel, Parchment
Desert Mist Metallic w/ Ebony, Parchment

Pretty nice variety!
Been posted a few times, but count me in for Abyss and Quartz!
Old 07-27-2003, 04:51 PM
Old timer

Re: Is deposit refundable if test drive fails to meet expectations?

Originally posted by Peter7777
What happens to your deposit if you test drive the '04 TL in October, find out that you don't like it, and decide not to buy the car?
We give it back to you in pennies which are in a sock with which we hit you as you ask for it back.

But seriously, it's a refundable deposit. If you put it on a credit card (the easiest way to do it) we just refund it back onto your card.

I was supposed to see VTECMW today to have him put down a deposit but for whatever reason he didn't show up. Look forward to seeing him soon.

Time to head home...
Old 07-27-2003, 06:29 PM
Burning Brakes

3. The wrap around head light cluster with amber lens parking lights that wrap around the corner.
6. character lines that follow the outline of the gril up the hood

amber on the corner, where they are REQUIRED by law!?!?! no way!!!!!!!!!!!
character line that runs up the hood, that is ridiculous, all cars have that.

edit, i forgot to add more about the two air inlets on the bumper. the g35 coupe has those as well.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:33 PM
Intermediate

Wow! I have to say that is a beutiful car!
Old 07-27-2003, 07:04 PM
Acura/Honda Fan

Cool Staged by AHM? Doubt it!

Just spoke to my buddy at Petersen Publishing, the press was invited to Seattle for a early press preview of the TL. There were actually 6 or more of these TLs floating around Seattle for 2 days. The press is embargoed to report on the TL until September 1.

I think "Lycos" either works at the hotel or got lucky in being at the right place at the right time. You can see the car carrier transport in front of the TL in a few shots. The chrome doors are closed in one and the doors are open in the rear view shot ready for the car to be driven into the truck, hence keys inside and car running.

The guy standing by the car looks like a hotel employee (wearing name tag) not an AHM employee.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:12 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

I have attached a photo of the 2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP whose nose looks very similar to the 2004 Acura TL (just add the dealer installed fog lights, and it will be even closer).

Ok, after that the styling cues end (and it is a GM), but in the rear view mirror of the car ahead, or when passing by, the two will get confused.

Other similarites are minor, ie HP on the GXP is 275 estimated (data per pontiac web site as of news release 7/1/03), torque 300ft-lbs, V-8 (4.4L variant of the 4.6 Northstar) 202.2" lenght (much longer).

Anyway, you get the drift, the FRONT NOSE on the ACURA TL, while good looking and agressive, looks too close to the Bonneville GXP (other Bonnevilles will be similar to this nose, but slightly differnt in the lower air intakes).

Sorry to break the news, but someone had to speak up on this!

You might be surprised that the inspiration for the new Acura look came from an unlikely source:

I mentioned this in a previous post and promised a photo (this is the first time attaching a photo, so lets see what happens). This car was first shown at the 2002 SEMA and NY Auto Shows (vs 2003 for Acura), so it has been out there and Acura had time to correct simmalarities
The 2nd generation Odyssey came out in 1999 - looks like Pontiac had an extra 3 years to modify that design. Who's copying whom again? As for the similarities in hp - the Pontiac uses a 3.8L V6 that needs to be supercharged to get 275hp.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:21 PM
Intermediate

I have to wait until September until the previews
Old 07-27-2003, 07:25 PM
Intermediate

This TL is going to be hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2003, 07:26 PM
Intermediate

whoops, double post
Old 07-27-2003, 08:16 PM
has been here awhile

Originally posted by jwaters943
Agreed!

...and while I am grateful for the pics, they aren't the best quality. You can't judge a car from pics. I remember seeing pics of the TSX and some made it look quite unflattering and even the best pics didn't really do it justice IMO.
Well said...pictures can't really do the car justice--and I even REALLY like what I see in the pictures. Don't worry everyone--I'm sure Acura knew what they were doing. Besides that, I think it's just going to have to grow on everyone. I'm sure there were plenty of critics when the all new TL came out in '99--same thing with every competely redesigned car. I thought that the new BMW 7-series was as ugly as sin--then I saw one in person and thought "that's not so bad". Give it time...

SPUDMTN
Old 07-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Instructor

Lycos works for AHM, they had him post these pics because they knew we were dying over here . Also, they wanted to get our initial reaction in case there is anything to tweak right before large-scale production. Why else was he allowed to get so close to the car, including one shot virtually inside the car, with all those guys standing around. And notice the images are different sizes, and purposefully low-res so we can't make out too many (interior) details. Just a thought to put away with all my other conspiracy theories, but I don't think I believe what I just said. Lycos seems geniune, although he does seem to have disappeared...

I'm baaaaaaaaack. AHM employee :P People,.....I have a life, and have to get away from my computer for the weekend I spent the weekend with my wife and kids. I'm checking through these messages. I think viewing all of these may take more than a few drinks. Amazing amount of traffic.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:16 PM
Pro

Originally posted by iNteGraz92

amber on the corner, where they are REQUIRED by law!?!?! no way!!!!!!!!!!!
character line that runs up the hood, that is ridiculous, all cars have that.

edit, i forgot to add more about the two air inlets on the bumper. the g35 coupe has those as well.
yep, amber is required, but ONLY on the side reflector, not required up front, could be clear with amber bulb to shine amber when on / clear when off.

Nope, not all cars have the character line, some are flat, or not lined up with the grill.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Lycos
I'm baaaaaaaaack. AHM employee :P People,.....I have a life, and have to get away from my computer for the weekend I spent the weekend with my wife and kids. I'm checking through these messages. I think viewing all of these may take more than a few drinks. Amazing amount of traffic.
You go MIA on this site for 2 days and folks wonder what happened. We are a tight knit group aren't we

So what was the story on the pics? Did you get a lead on the location and head over with the digital camera? I can't believe you didn't jump in and take it for a spin.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:25 PM
Pro

Originally posted by phile
[B
You might be surprised that the inspiration for the new Acura look came from an unlikely source:
The 2nd generation Odyssey came out in 1999 - looks like Pontiac had an extra 3 years to modify that design. Who's copying whom again? As for the similarities in hp - the Pontiac uses a 3.8L V6 that needs to be supercharged to get 275hp. [/B]
OK, Uncle, I saw the similarity as soon as I saw the photos, so I thought I would post it.

Actually pontiac had to use a V8 (northstar deboared to 4.4L) couldn't do it with the V6
Old 07-27-2003, 09:28 PM

Nice interior but the exterior looks like a Civic/TSX. It seems much smaller in length than the current model.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:30 PM
Pro

Lyco's, we were all woried, maybe the AHJ secret police got you.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:52 PM
Safety Car

Pontiac uses a 3.8L V6 that needs to be supercharged to get 275hp. [/B]

yes, we all know what a horrible thing forced induction is
Old 07-27-2003, 10:03 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Acura TL nose looks Like Pontiac Bonneville GXP

Originally posted by heyitsme
yes, we all know what a horrible thing forced induction is
That's not the point
An engine that size shouldn't need forced induction to pump out 275hp. Naturally aspirated, it produces a whopping 205hp and 230 lb-ft of torque.

need4spd - You are correct, the supercharged V6 manages only 260hp, and is not available in the Bonneville, only in the Grand Prix GTP.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:07 PM
Pro

Re: Re: Re: Re: Acura TL nose looks Like Pontiac Bonneville GXP

Originally posted by phile
That's not the point
An engine that size shouldn't need forced induction to pump out 275hp. Naturally aspirated, it produces a whopping 205hp and 230 lb-ft of torque.

need4spd - You are correct, the supercharged V6 manages only 260hp, and is not available in the Bonneville, only in the Grand Prix GTP.
Yep, american engine engineering at its best, low HP/torque, big displacement

They need to defer to other methods to approch high tech engine managment such as Vtech and tuning!
Old 07-27-2003, 10:09 PM
Intermediate

Lyco's, we were all woried, maybe the AHJ secret police got you.
Oh no!

:P
Old 07-27-2003, 10:11 PM
Banned

Acura will be equipping some SUV's with GM V8's, and in exchange, GM will be equipping some of their cars/trucks with Honda V6's. Maybe we'll see some Pontiacs with 275 hp Honda engines?
Old 07-27-2003, 10:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by Iceman
Acura will be equipping some SUV's with GM V8's, and in exchange, GM will be equipping some of their cars/trucks with Honda V6's. Maybe we'll see some Pontiacs with 275 hp Honda engines?
Thats awful. Honda, cancel the deal now!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2003, 10:28 PM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Yeah, the Saturn VUE is getting a 3.5L V6 from Honda. Is that the same one in the Odyssey or Pilot? 0-60 in "about 7 seconds" puts it in TSX territory.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:35 PM
Banned

Yup, I would have bought the Vue in April if it had a better engine. I got a TSX instead!
Old 07-27-2003, 10:39 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Iceman
Yup, I would have bought the Vue in April if it had a better engine. I got a TSX instead!
You can't be serious, no comparison, TSX rules over any saturn, and many other cars!

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News