Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 08:44 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Xtrema
The "ACURA" imprint on the front bumper must go. What is this, a Pontiac? Is Acura so insecured that they must put their name up front? Isn't a logo enough? I found this very puzzling.

You can see the design is shared with Accord/TSX. Dash lay out is almost a carbon copy. Just variation on a theme. And of the 3, I believe the TL got the worst center stack design. It's too clutters and looks chopped. Not fluid or graceful like the last TL.
I agree with you completely!! When I saw the front I thought it was a Pontiac too. Just get rid of the "Acura" imprint and that would really help out.

The center stack reminds of me of the Honda Pilot a little. And the dash does not have a good flow to it like the old TL or the TSX, maybe it will look better in person.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:44 PM
Pro

Originally posted by kurt_bradley
They're for the Bluetooth controls to the best of my knowledge. You have to put them somewhere on the wheel, and we can identify what the other ones do, being that they've got the others in the TSX.
Yep, I bet they are, when I zoomed in on the black bottons in open spoke, it Looks like buttons for the phone (aka bluetooth) one has a face with ))) comming out like talking the round arrow also has face and talking pictogram (maybe redial), can't tell other two buttons, but I definitely think it is for the phone.

Also, did you notice the blank cover next to the mirror switch, I guess for that factory installed fog light kit!!!!
Old 07-25-2003, 08:47 PM
Intermediate

Nice!!!!! But that steering wheel looks pretty busy...
Old 07-25-2003, 08:54 PM
Pro

[i]Originally posted by TorontoTL
Has anyone noticed the hood shut lines? they start at the inside edge of the headlights and head backwards across the hood towards the a pillar. Very unusual! You can see from the fenders that there does not appear to be a shut line in the usual place. [/B]

Originally posted by RJC RSX
wow! that is very unusual! i wonder what that means, or is it just a styling thing?
Wow, not sure I like it, will make it hard to service if the access is that limited, how do you get to the stuff under those side fender flarings that wrap to the top?

I checked the concept photos, it is there also, just never noticed it
Old 07-25-2003, 08:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Man - I have a majorly busy week and can't get on the site for a few days and you guys are dropping TL pics by the dozens

Nice work
Old 07-25-2003, 08:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

By the way - I merged the two threads with these pics.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by provench
Man - I have a majorly busy week and can't get on the site for a few days and you guys are dropping TL pics by the dozens

Nice work
They are awesome and you still get a lot of credit for bringing many people, including me, here from the TL board.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:01 PM
More On

Great, great job -- Lycos, SPUDMTN and all. I never should have doubted you!!!

That's totally true about the "ACURA" imprint.

I love the car too. But, aren't the neat things about it just those aspects that resemble the TSX??? It's true at least about my reaction to it.

Looks to me like what most people are saying is along the lines of, "A little bigger and a little better TSX."

Remains to be known how much bigger. Especially if it's too much bigger, handling and responsiveness would suffer, despite greater hp.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:07 PM
4th Gear

Can anybody spot a rearview camera in the licence plate area? Rear view sensors are an accessory for the 04 TL, when offered for the MDX it is in place of not having navi (navi includes rear view when in reverse)
Old 07-25-2003, 09:09 PM
Teh seX

u guys think the ACURA imprint will be removed from the front bumper once the car comes out? I like the concept bumper better...
Old 07-25-2003, 09:11 PM
Pro

Originally posted by JeffPhx
I agree with you completely!! When I saw the front I thought it was a Pontiac too. Just get rid of the "Acura" imprint and that would really help out.

The center stack reminds of me of the Honda Pilot a little. And the dash does not have a good flow to it like the old TL or the TSX, maybe it will look better in person.
When I showed my dealer the photos, the sales manager indicated they had seen the advance viewing of the car and the ACURA front bumper is production, he also did say that the nameplate was removable for the front plate, not sure, can't see the parting lines, if it does, it is well hiden.

Actually I am not so sure any more, need to review the pictures again, with the first look, I liked them, but after looking at them more, I'm not so sure, call me fickled (maybe I can pick up a few month old low milage TSX from one of you guys? )

Tires definitely are out of wack with the car (not just the wheels). Most makers went up in Diameter, but it looks like Acura stayed the same, the overall diameter of the tires look way too small (but do fit the openings well), not sure if 18" will help the look, as fundimentaly the tires are two small (leave it to conservative Acura! ) In comparison, the BMW 7 series went from 26.8" to 27.8", a full 1" bigger, just like adding an 1" to a wheel/rim, adding an 1" to a tire is impressive, if Acura stuck with the overall same diameter as the old TL type S (same as TSX) it will change from right size on the TSX as compared to the proportions, to wrong sized, sorry that IMO, but look closely, the tires, not just the wheels are not ballance to the proportions of the car (which are high and stocky, as Acura said at the NY auto show, athletic)
Old 07-25-2003, 09:12 PM
Intermediate

EMU and JeffPhx,

You might want to look at the same photos LYCOS put up on VTEC - one picture of the seats shows some texturing of the central part of the seat leather - hopefully with holes for some VENTILATION?? I'm not giving up hope yet

Acuman
Old 07-25-2003, 09:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Acuman
EMU and JeffPhx,

You might want to look at the same photos LYCOS put up on VTEC - one picture of the seats shows some texturing of the central part of the seat leather - hopefully with holes for some VENTILATION?? I'm not giving up hope yet

Acuman
I'll look again. Believe me, I've looked a million times. I wish Justin would show up again and shed some light.

It took me 100 looks before I noticed what may be a parking sensor in the front bumper.

I am hoping there is a backup camera since I cannot find a parking sensor in the rear bumper.

Back to the first part, I will be totally stoked if the car has ventilated seats!

I am trying to find out if the car has power tilt/telescoping wheel. I wonder if the steering wheel is heated.

There are no pictures of the driver's door, and am wondering if the car will have a smart/intelligent key.

We need details!
Old 07-25-2003, 09:33 PM
Burning Brakes

i'm pretty sure that front body colored circle you see on just the passenger side is a cover that pops off for where a tow hook screws in...VW's have this in the exact same area
Old 07-25-2003, 09:35 PM
10th Gear

something tells me that the exterior/interior appeals to most of us in this forum, but wont appeal to "regular people". I like the car a lot, now i think buying the tl would be more exciting then buying a G
Old 07-25-2003, 09:53 PM
Pro

Originally posted by RJC RSX
i'm pretty sure that front body colored circle you see on just the passenger side is a cover that pops off for where a tow hook screws in...VW's have this in the exact same area
Yep I agree, they are trying to be German, or the underbody diffusers dont allow the hooks
Old 07-25-2003, 10:01 PM
10th Gear

and why do the rear wheels look SO small...hopefully hpt will change that along w/ some brembos. Is any1 still hoping for AWD...i dont think it will happen though, the dealer said FWD 270hp (dyno rating probably higher) Maybe in a couple of years.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
omg i want one... imma start saving up money now.. i love that car.. hope the new plans for 280 hp comes through but i doubt it.. 280 w/ 6mt would be hott....
Old 07-25-2003, 10:18 PM
Pro

Originally posted by dmac
and why do the rear wheels look SO small...hopefully hpt will change that along w/ some brembos. Is any1 still hoping for AWD...i dont think it will happen though, the dealer said FWD 270hp (dyno rating probably higher) Maybe in a couple of years.
I still have hope for AWD, and brembos. I hope 18" makes it all ok, a few have told me so, have them on my wifes car, 17 on mine, all depends on tire diameter, sorry to harp
Old 07-25-2003, 10:41 PM
Race Director

Something is fishY

Like someone else said, how did they just leave a secret car like that in front of the road?

Maybe Lycos knows something and he is not telling us?

Maybe Acura Promised him a FREE 2004 TL to keep his mouth shut..

You know he could have taken these pics and blackmailed ACURA and made like couple million
Old 07-25-2003, 10:41 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by SPUDMTN
Hello-

That interior is beautiful! COMPLETELY GORGEOUS! It looks like Acura has put TONS of features into this new TL. Do you see that button rich interior? It looks GREAT! I don't care if ergonomics go south, because this looks like a true luxury automobile. The exterior is gorgeous, too...very understated, yet very aggressive. Audi better watch out, because Acura is right on their tail.

CONGRATULATIONS Lycos! I'm ECSTATIC that you got pictures--I just can't believe you were able to walk right up to the car and snap a few photos! SIMPLY AMAZING!

SWEET PHOTOS--SWEET CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOO HOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, anyone notice the truely multi-functional steering wheel? I hate to get anyone's hopes up, but looks like the new TL has adaptive cruise control--notice the "add on" controls on the left side between the spokes...can someone enhance that area and see what the pictographs are?

SPUDMTN

PS-WOO HOO!!!!!

What u mean give hopes up that the car will have adaptive cruise control, who on this forum doesn't want that cruise control?
Old 07-25-2003, 10:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Gebbeth
I don't think the buttons on the steering wheel are shifter buttons. Would a car with a auto/manual shift function have the up and downshift controls on both the steering wheen and the shifter gate? Don't know about that one (see the photos of the interior at the shifter....I think I see the + - shifter pattern in the shifter gate). That means those small button on the steering wheel must be for something else.

Opinions?
It's for the Gatling guns, front and rear.

Old 07-25-2003, 10:55 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally posted by 2004TL
Something is fishY

Like someone else said, how did they just leave a secret car like that in front of the road?

Maybe Lycos knows something and he is not telling us?

Maybe Acura Promised him a FREE 2004 TL to keep his mouth shut..

You know he could have taken these pics and blackmailed ACURA and made like couple million
LOL. Nah, Lycos was just excited to share and have his 15 minutes of almost-fame.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:58 PM
10th Gear

Other Pics

I was wondering when the pictures of the blue and tan one would be posted on the website
Old 07-25-2003, 11:00 PM
More On

Re: Other Pics

Originally posted by RunningFreak
I was wondering when the pictures of the blue and tan one would be placed on the website
Dunno, but somebody else will.

What I wanted to say -- besides WELCOME! -- was: How did you get the lettering to be small like that?

(Cool!)
Old 07-25-2003, 11:02 PM
10th Gear

I clicked on the size box and changed it to either medium or large
Old 07-25-2003, 11:03 PM
10th Gear

That one up there was actually the samll one
Old 07-25-2003, 11:06 PM
More On

I clicked on the size box and changed it to either medium or large
So cool! Never noticed that B4.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:08 PM
10th Gear

You learn something new everyday :P
Old 07-25-2003, 11:13 PM
More On

This'll be real useful for when we're posting late-night and don't want to wake up anybody.

Or if we want to say anything bad about the new TL!
Like, wtf's the deal about the hand-brake on the passenger side????
Old 07-25-2003, 11:20 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by larchmont
This'll be real useful for when we're posting late-night and don't want to wake up anybody.

Or if we want to say anything bad about the new TL!
Like, wtf's the deal about the hand-brake on the passenger side????
AND WHY THE FIK IS THE TL NOT OUT YET!!!
Old 07-25-2003, 11:28 PM
10th Gear

Patience people! All good things come to those who wait.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:29 PM
10th Gear

I think the hand brake is fine where its at. In my 95 Accord, thats where its it and it works fine there
Old 07-25-2003, 11:35 PM
More On

I think the hand brake is fine where its at. In my 95 Accord, thats where its it and it works fine there
You mean it's on the passenger side??? How do you work it over there? Why would it be there?

(They say I ask a lot of questions but it's not true.)
Old 07-25-2003, 11:44 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by ebcheon
i love it!! very nice... love the "acura" in the front of the car.
ya I like it too, Sad we are of the few that like it
Old 07-25-2003, 11:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Exclusive: 2004 Tl *unmasked*

Originally posted by soopa

Photos Courtesy of Craig M. (Lycos)
Thanks for posting the photos. Are many of them missing? Perhaps a dozen or so did not render. I got several empty boxes instead of all the pictures.

The front-end reminds me a lot of the TSX and the Odessey van.

The rear reminds me of the 1994 Accord rear end with a touch of Audi-styling. Given that it lacks the '94's inverted bathtub rear side shapes, this is a big improvement.

The rear side passenger doors remind me precisely of the '03 US domestic Accord, which is clearly the basis of the new TL.

Overall, compared with the '03 Accord's styling, the TL is much more acceptable. In fact, this is the styling that the Accord should have been rather than the bloated awkwardly angled '03 Accord's design.

The colorful instrument panel is an eye-catcher.

I still prefer the TSX. The TL is overkill big time for my preferences and requirements.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:07 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
What do you guys think of the license plate holder in the back? I don't like that it's in black - they should make it body colored, or offer it in some shade of the body color.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:18 AM
Pro

Originally posted by 2004TL
ya I like it too, Sad we are of the few that like it
Yeah I like it too. It's not as brash as Pontiac's
Old 07-26-2003, 12:18 AM
More On

Originally posted by phile
What do you guys think of the license plate holder in the back? I don't like that it's in black - they should make it body colored, or offer it in some shade of the body color.
Yeah phile, that's the idea -- If it's anything negative, it has to be small.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:25 AM
Pro

Originally posted by phile
It caught my eye first thing when looking at the back. It is some what distictive. I mean, how many ways can you make the license plate holder different to the point that it has style?

Acura/Honda has been ripped for years due to being plain so at least they are trying. I give them thumbsup:

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News