Acura: RLX News

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the RL's problem isn't the lack of a V-8; its more on the lines of brand image and price. Most Acura's still have the feel, look, features of a Honda whereas most Lexus' are clearly distinguishable from Toyota by leaps and bounds. It's just not at the level of Lexus as an independent company. Where would consumers find the value in purchasing an Acura then when its pretty much similar to its counterpart, Honda?
-Justin
Old 02-23-2006, 01:25 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by MSZ
One more thing...Legend Sedan costed around 50k CND in 95, which was = 26k in USD at that time. I still can't believe what Shawn S posted.
Not sure where you got that information from. But according to this site: http://www.x-rates.com/cgi-bin/hlookup.cgi the Canadian dollar was 1.3943 to the US dollar in February 1995. That would make 50K CND = $35,860 USD. Which is pretty close to what Shawn posted. Certainly not $26,000.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MSZ
And you like the current one more? The RL grill looks closer to the last gen Odyssey than a Accord. Give me a damn break.
but never mind the LOOK its just personal taste.
I think it has to do with my NOT able to accept a US$45k HONDA TODAY, I can accept a 45K ACURA.
So if I am asked to to choose between Honda Legend for 44K and RL for 45K, everything else being equal, I pick RL even for 1K more.

same idea applies to Toyota vs Lexus

Last edited by huckleberry; 02-23-2006 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Race Director

Acura just needs to make better styling, better engine performance like find a way to put all a lot of torque and muscle in their engine while stilll having great fuel efficiency something that Infiniti engines are weak in. Also, Acura needs to take risks and chances in their car styling. I'm sick of their weak conservative ho-hum styling. It stinks and it's boring.

I like my TSX and the TL, but that is their most exciting designs, but yet still it's not ooh and ahh eye catching style unlike the new IS250/350, GS430, G35 coupe, and M35/45. My friends still say it looks like a Honda and so do my parents and ex-gf.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:58 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeeno
And i'm sure Ford outsells Acura by a good margin also...and your point is wah?

And whatever your point is, it doesn't make RL sales #s look any better.
1) He was responding to a post that said Acura was trailing Infiniti and Lexus as Japanese luxury marques. one way you can measure success, though not completely objectively, is by sales number. I say it's not completely objective because Lexus, the # luxury selling brand, has the bulk of its sales in the mid-30K ES sedan and RX SUV. Whereas Cadillac and Mercedes' bulk of sales come from 40K+ models like the Deville and E-Class. Regardless, the sales numbers shows that Lexus is doing something right, thus it can be a measure of success.

2) It doesn't appear as if his post was aimed to make the RL sales look any better, he was simply responding to a post from someone who obviously didn't know the sales comparison between the 3 Japanese marques.

Besides, I have a feeling that if Infiniti sales > Acura sales, the Nissan camp would certainly turn it into a point of relevance.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:50 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,144 Likes on 817 Posts
Man, the car needs a V8. How good is a 290 HP V6 motor powering a 4000 lbs butt-heavy, power-robbing AWD car ?! It definately needs a big V8 to get some decent accelerating numbers to compete in its market and price segment. It would have been fine to use the V6 if the RL was RWD and made of light-weight aluminium construction.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:34 PM
Race Director

Is the RL and NSX the most HP cars that Acura/Honda has ever sold to the public? If it is, that's kind of sad.

When will Acura/Honda bring out a car with 350hp?
Old 02-25-2006, 12:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Acura has many problems.

1. No flagship. For a luxury brand you really need a flagship car. That currently is missing from Acura. Acura needs a 7 series level car. Lexus was smart. It came to US with a flagship car along with an entry level car. The LS started at sub 40k with a 4.0L V8 on the LS400. Through out the year lexus was able to move the car up in the price and image. Acura failed to move RL up.

2. Too many car that compete with Accord/Camry price range. Why would people want to share a dealership that is full of RSX/TSX owners. TSX/RSX erodes Acura's brand image.

Acura's more expansive car is a mid level 5 series competitor and majority of the sale are at entry level luxury or family price budget. Hence no one that shops for luxury car will really consider Acura as a luxury car.

Most importantly, the RL simply don't cut it as a product that would entice people to buy. RWD is image of luxury car simple as that. No V8 simply another strike against Acura.

Acura needs better products at top end, much better dealership, and improve ownership experience. To have dealer be packed by owners of TSX/RSX does not really promote a luxury brand.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chiawei
..Why would people want to share a dealership that is full of RSX/TSX owners. TSX/RSX erodes Acura's brand image.
To have dealer be packed by owners of TSX/RSX does not really promote a luxury brand.
yeah just keep rubbing it in..
Old 02-25-2006, 09:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
you don't like the looks of a fat accord...

I drive a CLS, bland styling is where it's at
ding, ding, ding.

I was never impressed with the new RL look.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:04 AM
Banned

I agree that the front end is mildly aggressive while the back end of the car is a snoozer.

The interior is nice and AWD is a must for the RL ... FLAGSHIP. Yes, whether you like it or not, it's Acura's top-of-the-line.

More features, or reduce the price. It's that simple. If the car was $40K, no one would be complaining.

Whining about the TSX here isn't going to make anyone any friends!
And just because the Temple of VTEC believes that the RSX is going doesn't mean it's gone yet.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
I still don't understand this logic toward AWD. You do not need AWD in your top model to have success in the luxury sedan market:

S-Class = Offers it in lower models
E-class = Offers it in lower models
7-series = No AWD option
5-series = Offers it lower models
XJ = No AWD option
LS430 = No AWD option
GS = Offers it in lower models
M45/35 = Offers it in lower models

Based off of the competition, Acura should leave the RL as is and drop the price to around $43,000-$45,000. Then, develop a 4.5-5.0L V8 to put in a new "upper" RL.

Ex. New RL System:
RL 3.5 - $43,000(RWD) - $45,000 (AWD)
- 290hp 3.5L V6
- Keep car the same except offer RWD for less money
- Only option is Tech Package

RL 5.0 - $55,000 (RWD)
- 380hp 5.0L V8
- Tech package standard
- Upgrade interior (more leather, wood steering wheel/shift knob, etc.)
- Only option is a sport package (A-spec body kit, wheels, sport suspension)
Old 02-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jwong77
Hate to burst your bubble, but Acura outsells Infiniti by a good margin.
Acura outsells infiniti because they have cheaper cars! They may outsell, but what brand is actually considered a true luxury brand? Which has more brand prestige? Which brand is highly compared with the top 3 lux brands: lexus, mb and bmw? Infiniti unlike acura has established themselves in the luxury world. Acura still has alot of work to do. All infiniti needs to do is design a new Q which im sure will not be a disappointment. Before acura decides to build a "flagship" they have to at least get people to buy in the RL's price range.

Last edited by 03TL-S; 02-26-2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
Since when were Infiniti's really more expensive. With the exception of the brand new M, no one's put infiniti in that class with lex, mb, and bmw. not really anyway. The Q is a joke, the G35 was fast, but lacked refinement, and never came close to beating a 3series in any competition in any year from the media. They just stopped selling that pathetic I30 or whatever it was that they couldnt move out of the stores. the MDX will forever outsale the MDX and the FX, even though it is around 6 years old. The only one making any noise is the new M... the M before it made no noise whatsoever. Geesh, infiniti puts out one sucess and people want to call it a luxury brand? I think not. Honda > Nissan, Acura > Infiniti. Go pick up a wall street journal and read up on how much of an underpowered joke nissan has become. (no disrespect intended, of course)
Old 02-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
Since when were Infiniti's really more expensive. With the exception of the brand new M, no one's put infiniti in that class with lex, mb, and bmw. not really anyway. The Q is a joke, the G35 was fast, but lacked refinement, and never came close to beating a 3series in any competition in any year from the media. They just stopped selling that pathetic I30 or whatever it was that they couldnt move out of the stores. the MDX will forever outsale the MDX and the FX, even though it is around 6 years old. The only one making any noise is the new M... the M before it made no noise whatsoever. Geesh, infiniti puts out one sucess and people want to call it a luxury brand? I think not. Honda > Nissan, Acura > Infiniti. Go pick up a wall street journal and read up on how much of an underpowered joke nissan has become. (no disrespect intended, of course)
Acura has the TSX and RSX. Starting at the low 20s....Okay so you are saying the G never beat the 3 series? The G was car of the year and beat the 3 series! I forget which year 03 or 04 but it did. Car mags raved it was the only car that could compete against the 3. Get your facts straight! Was the TL ever said to be on par with the 3 in any car comparo? No. The M debuted and also beat the competition. It still does! We are talking about present day. Everyone knows that infiniti had a bad history but has completely turned it around in a very short time. The Q is still part of infiniti's past. Go read some articles that talk about lux cars. Acura is always called a near-luxury brand. Face it, thats what it is considered most of the time. Even though infiniti had a rough past, it was always considered a true luxury brand...never a near-lux brand

Last edited by 03TL-S; 02-26-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
If anything, Honda is the one who's smaller in the power department. HOWEVER, regardless of that, I would rather own a Honda product anyday. I don't like the way the Nissans are styled (interior), nor do I like the way that the 3.5L feels at high RPM.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by youngTL
If anything, Honda is the one who's smaller in the power department. HOWEVER, regardless of that, I would rather own a Honda product anyday. I don't like the way the Nissans are styled (interior), nor do I like the way that the 3.5L feels at high RPM.
I too would rather own a HONDA than a NISSAN car besides the Z. But i would rather own an INFINITI than an ACURA. Infiniti makes it a point to be alot different from nissan
Old 02-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
03, you make a good point about car of the year. BUT, be reminded that only new cars can win that honor. Secondly, acura does offer the TSX and the RSX. I suppose their price points do negate the luxury idea, but I think that those two are such niche cars that they honda/acura couldnt resist. Who are competitors to thse two? I cant think of any (except that new civic si to the rsx) I think infiniti has been pretty "moody" they've gone on ups and downs. The J30 was a really nice true luxury car with the comfiest seats I can remember. I'd definitely venture to say that it was more lux than the legend. However, you think about cars like that old G20, and it just makes you scratch your head

Last edited by TheAcAvenger; 02-26-2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:30 PM
Pro

03, you make a good point about car of the year. BUT, be reminded that only new cars can win that honor. Secondly, acura does offer the TSX and the RSX. I suppose their price points do negate the luxury idea, but I think that those two are such niche cars that they honda/acura couldnt resist. Who are competitors to thse two? I cant think of any (except that new civic si to the rsx)
You are right, i think it was car and driver that compared the new civic to the RSX and said the civic was a better buy. I mean...how sad is that. They said the only reason someone would buy an RSX is if they are mildly brand conscious. Even the accord has more power than the TSX.

But back to topic, a cheaper RL may be a good move, but removing AWD and making it FWD will be a disaster. People will still buy a TL because it is about the same size and its styling is better
Old 02-26-2006, 01:45 PM
I'm a llama :(

03, you make a good point about car of the year. BUT, be reminded that only new cars can win that honor. Secondly, acura does offer the TSX and the RSX. I suppose their price points do negate the luxury idea, but I think that those two are such niche cars that they honda/acura couldnt resist. Who are competitors to thse two? I cant think of any (except that new civic si to the rsx) I think infiniti has been pretty "moody" they've gone on ups and downs. The J30 was a really nice true luxury car with the comfiest seats I can remember. I'd definitely venture to say that it was more lux than the legend. However, you think about cars like that old G20, and it just makes you scratch your head
The G-20 had everything, it was loaded. The Integra and RSX doesn't compare to it in the luxury department. Even the TSX didn't offer power passenger seats when it first came out. And I'm talking about in 94 when leather was standard in the G-20. It was a little underpowered, but it felt more luxury than my 99 CL. It had that solid, almost German car, feel to it. The SR20 was a great engine. Sounded so nice, but was a little underpowered. The interior was great too, it didn't look cheap at all!
Old 02-26-2006, 08:57 PM
Drifting

I hope you're not serious...
Old 02-27-2006, 02:58 PM
6G TLX-S

The Infiniti Q was a major flop not because of the car, but because of its styling. The car is a technology wonder at that time, same as the Lexus LS400. The reason why the LS was a hit is because of its styling resemblence to Mercedes (or copying Mercedes) - the LS looked expensive and a big car needs a hugh grill to look expensive and overpower. However, the Q didn't have a grill, and therefore looked cheap except the price. Once a model line is ruin, it'll take forever for future revamps to rebuild its image, or better still, kill the line and invent a new one such as R or S or T for example.

I tried so hard to associate an expensive look for the RL but failed. I can never clear out the Honda (=cheap economy) look from my mind whenever a see a RL which is of course very rare on the roads.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:28 PM
6G TLX-S

They just stopped selling that pathetic I30 or whatever it was that they couldnt move out of the stores.
The reason they stopped selling the I30 or later I35 was because no one wanted to buy FWD luxury cars. The introduction of the G35 put the final nails into the I35's coffin, because those who had no choice but to buy the FWD I35 suddenly had a choice, and needless to say what that choice was.

This is another example of no one wanting to buy FWD luxury cars. Ding. Ding. Acura. Does it ring your bell ? It is a big mistake on Honda's part by staying away from developing a suitable RWD platform for the luxury brand. Sure Honda is capable enough to build best handling FWD cars. But humans are illogical beings, and here Honda has failed to acquire the mindset of luxury car buyers when developing the luxury Acura line.

Also, there is a limit to how much horsepower you can put onto the front wheels of a FWD car and maintain good handling characteristics, without going to expensive and power-robbing AWD systems. The much cheaper and simpler solution is RWD platform. RWD cars can take 300, 400, or even 500 hp with ease. AWD system can then be ordered as factory option like Mercedes and BMW for the even bigger wallet buyers.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:39 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
because no one wanted to buy FWD luxury cars.
I guess it depends on ones definition of luxury but last I checked the TL and ES were selling extremly well.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:08 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by dom
I guess it depends on ones definition of luxury but last I checked the TL and ES were selling extremly well.

And it depends on what the auto mags say, and IMO there is definitely bias. Remember how everyone was ragging on the TL for torque steer? And that's with only a 3.2L engine. The new ES will sport a 3.5L driving the front wheels, and I guarantee none of the mags will bring it up. Just like there has been little noise about the Avalon driving the front wheels with so much power.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm a llama :(

Originally Posted by phile

And it depends on what the auto mags say, and IMO there is definitely bias. Remember how everyone was ragging on the TL for torque steer? And that's with only a 3.2L engine. The new ES will sport a 3.5L driving the front wheels, and I guarantee none of the mags will bring it up. Just like there has been little noise about the Avalon driving the front wheels with so much power.
That's cause nobody even looks twice at Toyota's.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:43 PM
Safety Car

You can't be serious, right? The G kicked everyone's ass when it was introduced. It's major edge over the 3 was that it had very similar performance, with more HP, at a value price. The old M was a stop gap, ofcourse, for the new M, which continues to get very critical acclaim. It easily tops the the RL, and a true competitor to the others in it's class. The Q's styling was off. It's looks were as safe and bland as the LS's, but lacked the identity of the LS. Everyone knew the LS was an unabashed S-Class imitator. The Q started life with BMW in it's sights, but lost it's way and with the last gen by following the LS's softer lead. However, it's technology was always cutting edge current gen (which is getting old), and the powertrain is beyond reproach. For years and years now, it's V8 has been an hp leader and a performance leader when paired with it's transmission. As far as the FX, you've got another groundbreaking vehicle that any others (BMW, Hyundai) will be emmulating. The MDX is the minivan is lux/crossover skin; the FX is a sports car raised off the ground; ofcourse the MDX will sell more. With the new CX coming out in short order, and the next FX supposidly being a bit larger and have three rows to make room for it, Infiniti's fortunes will continue to progress. At the rate and direction they're headed, I'm expecting the next Q to be a real show stopper (we'll see...). The GTR will be yet another major shot in the arm. Nissan's interior is being upgraded also, and that's they're weakest area. Styling is totally subjective. And speaking of objective numbers, when has Nissan been underpowered? You don't mean HP numbers, right? Or do you mean they're stock price, which is also doing okay?? Infiniti>Acura anyday buddy. Nissan is either on par with or exceeds Honda (except with interior styling).
Old 02-27-2006, 07:51 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by phile

The ES350 could have had the 306hp/277tq motor from the rear drive IS350 instead of the existing 272hp/254 tq motor. The only reason I can think of is the front wheel drive limitation on the ES which can't handle too much power while still maintaining proper balance inherited by all FWD cars. I have yet to hear a 300+hp FWD car that is praised for its sport car handling.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:00 PM
Safety Car

The ES350 could have had the 306hp/277tq motor from the rear drive IS350 instead of the existing 272hp/254 tq motor. The only reason I can think of is the front wheel drive limitation on the ES which can't handle too much power while still maintaining proper balance inherited by all FWD cars. I have yet to hear a 300+hp FWD car that is praised for its sport car handling.
That's a very good point. I also concluded that the only reason the ES got the lower output engine was because of it's FWD layout. Interesting enough, of yet to read or hear anyone say anything negative about the Impala SS's handling, and it has a 303HP, 5.3L V8.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:13 PM
Pinky all stinky

Even in detuned form it's more power than the TL's engine. So if the mags complain about torque steer on the TL, you'd think they would do so for the ES as well, since it even has more power over the front wheels.

And that's what I meant in my original post. It's not so much that a FWD car can't be considered luxury, it's how that car is portrayed, either by the mags (which shape public opinions) or by the marketing dept. And when you have the two working in synergy, it doesn't matter (to the public) that a car is FWD; they'll still see it as luxury.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:29 PM
Safety Car

^ Yep. That's why marketing is so vital. The mags have considerable sway too.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:27 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Maybe its because the ES is marketed/known as a soft comfortable ride, and people that buy that car, generally don't care at all about sportyness. The TL on the other hand puts some sport into the luxury so that's why people complain about it's FWD.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
Maybe its because the ES is marketed/known as a soft comfortable ride, and people that buy that car, generally don't care at all about sportyness. The TL on the other hand puts some sport into the luxury so that's why people complain about it's FWD.
Dioesn't audi still sell FWD a4's and TT's?

I guess they still use tiny engines on their FWD models...no torque=no torque steer.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:11 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeeno
Dioesn't audi still sell FWD a4's and TT's?

I guess they still use tiny engines on their FWD models...no torque=no torque steer.
I think the base A4 is still around the 180hp mark from the 2.0T.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
^^^ In general, the ES predisposition makes no pretense of sportiness and is invariably entry-level luxury focused; this has catered well to its base over the years.

The nature of the TL forces it to compromise between luxury and sport....which it does better than any other front driver IMHO (I35, 6G Maxima and Lexus ES come immediately to mind).
Old 02-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F23A4
^^^ In general, the ES predisposition makes no pretense of sportiness and is invariably entry-level luxury focused; this has catered well to its base over the years.

The nature of the TL forces it to compromise between luxury and sport....which it does better than any other front driver IMHO (I35, 6G Maxima and Lexus ES come immediately to mind).
I think lexus expects ES buyers to be graduates of the 'camry' experience, so I don't think sportiness was a prerequisite for the ES.

Lexus has their entry-lux split...for people graduating from "normal" brands to lexus, they can choose the ES (if they want a "camry" like experience) or the IS (if they want sport). Realistically though, I don't think the ES has any competition. The TL/3/G is a little more hardcore and rival the IS. The ES's competition is probably the Avalon, or even a topline camry.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:43 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by titan
Interesting enough, of yet to read or hear anyone say anything negative about the Impala SS's handling, and it has a 303HP, 5.3L V8.
But the car doesn't get praise for its handling either, unlike the TL, Altima SER, etc. For the latest V8 Impala SS, most reviews simply comment as lack of torque steer and better handling than previous years and hard to put down all the power without traction control cutting in PERIOD.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Safety Car

This months issue of C&D on the RL...

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We hit the road and started piling on the miles. Unfortunately, after only two weeks and 3456 miles on the clock, we found ourselves at the dealer's door because the RL's sunroof got stuck with its rear edge open in the vent position. The dealer couldn't fix it [in time]...so we took the MacGyver route, spending $1.68 for the sticky silver stuff and duct-taping the thing shut.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Back home at 5222 miles, we got our Michigan dealer to fix the sunroof...Just 600 miles later we found ourselves back at the dealer when the right-front window and outside-mirror mechanisms stopped working.

Quote:

Our first scheduled service was at 7032 miles...We were back at the dealer two weeks and 1400 miles after our first scheduled service...Two thousand miles later, the sunroof quit a second time. The dealer blamed it on a loose electrical wire. A month and a half and 5000 miles laters, we were once again enhancing our budding relationship with the man from Acrua. This time the side-view mirrors and both power outlets weren't working.

Quote:

Maybe we should have moved in with Mr. Acrua, because at just over 33,000 miles, the left rear headrest wouldn't stay up, the power outlets were once again on the blink, the driver's side washer-fluid nozzle needed realignment, and the [nav] system was rebooting itself while in use.

I haven't seen it, but I'm posting it.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:18 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Man, Acura just can't catch a break with the RL. Sales plummeting, heavy discounts, and now you have Car and Driver, one of the most popular automotive magazines buying a lemon RL! (Atleast I think it's a lemon since most users in the RL forums aren't complaining about most of the problems listed)
Old 03-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Banned

hmm sounds like some electrical poltergeist, not good

Quick Reply: Acura: RLX News