Acura: RLX News

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 08:56 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The RL looks good from the front but the car has too be clean. As soon as you get some dirt on the car, it looks nothing more then an accord.

The last gen RL was long, wide and looked like a lexus LS. The problem was the look was a bit outdated and the car was wayyy underpowered.

What does RL compete with? Nobody is going to cross-shop RL with BMW 5 series. And nobody is going to cross-shop the RL with 7 series or Lexus LS.

I like Honda/Acura, but you can't make every car in your lineup "sporty" looking. A flagship sedan needs to look big, comfortable and rich. That's why Lexus has been so successful, beating everything it its class with the LS430.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:13 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I'd buy an RL ... I really like Acura's interiors and the SH-AWD ... Yes a car needs to be attractive but I only see the outside for about 10 minutes a day

I buy on interior and driving dynamics now. I stop buying hot looking cars that are POS.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb Acura RL Competitors

Originally Posted by dozorca
The RL looks good from the front but the car has too be clean. As soon as you get some dirt on the car, it looks nothing more then an accord.

The last gen RL was long, wide and looked like a lexus LS. The problem was the look was a bit outdated and the car was wayyy underpowered.

What does RL compete with? Nobody is going to cross-shop RL with BMW 5 series. And nobody is going to cross-shop the RL with 7 series or Lexus LS.

I like Honda/Acura, but you can't make every car in your lineup "sporty" looking. A flagship sedan needs to look big, comfortable and rich. That's why Lexus has been so successful, beating everything it its class with the LS430.
I think that it competes w/ the 6 cylinder/4 wheel drive versions of the Lexus G & Infiniti M
Old 12-15-2005, 10:39 AM
Safety Car

What does RL compete with? Nobody is going to cross-shop RL with BMW 5 series.
The RL competes with the 5 Series. In addition to the V6 versions of the A6/M/STS/GS. It's Acura's flagship by default, but it doesn't compete against the large V8 only lux flags of the other makers, like the LS/S/7/A8/Q.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:44 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MattT516
Four different versions of the same car is enough reason to consider that whole platform a joke. The cars are all pretty much the same, regardless of the improved interior materials in the Lincoln or whatever is better in the Mercury. These cars are boring, and it's even worse that no one will be able to differentiate them from each other without a badge. I've seen reviews of all three cars in the major magazines, and I know already I'm going to have trouble telling the difference between them. I understand the Ford Fusion got pretty good reviews, but this sharing is ridiculous. And I'm not necessarily going to praise Toyota for making the Camry and ES330 nearly the same, but this isn't as bad. Lexus has at least distinguished themselves as a luxury brand, and this is really the only CAR (don't get me started on the trucks) that shares nearly everything with Toyota. Ford seems to do this copying without effort.

And another thing, can't GM or Ford put a decent powerplant in a mid-sized sedan? They are considered sports sedans, yet they have poor handling with FWD and they all sputter with 8 second 0-to-60 times. The only car I could honestly say did a good job is the new Impala SS, which is still entering a very busy price segment when fully loaded.

People say this isn't an important thing, but there's the reason why Acura is selling TL's like hotcakes and Infiniti does well with the G35 sedan. Japan is ahead of America in interiors, and that whole descrepancy in power isn't helping either. Can't someone toss a 280-horsepower engine underneath the bonnet for most of these mid-sized American sedans?

One thing I do like about the Zephyr, and that's the front nose. I think the whole 1960's Continental-lookalike front is very attractive.

Well, let's just agree to disagree. There's nothing wrong with platform sharing. Look at Infinit's FM (Nissan Z,G,Gcoupe,FX,advanced version for M), or the Camry's (Camry,Highlander,ES330,Sienna). The difference is that they a much better job of making different product off of the same platform. That's where Ford has failed ... consumers will look at the triplets and see rebranding. I think Ford should have waited to give the Zephyr the "good" powerplant and AWD at introduction; to justify it's price over it's siblings. We do agree with the nose, though. I like it too.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by titan
The RL competes with the 5 Series. In addition to the V6 versions of the A6/M/STS/GS. It's Acura's flagship by default, but it doesn't compete against the large V8 only lux flags of the other makers, like the LS/S/7/A8/Q.
I'm know what it 'supposed' to compete with, but which cars does it REALLY compete with. Although the RL is a great car in my books, people just don't look at the RL when shopping for a 5 series or the E-class.

On a side note, I haven't seen an RL commecial on TV for at least 8 months...
Old 12-15-2005, 01:27 PM
Safety Car

Sure the RL is a little understated looking, but I think why the sales don't stack up against other brands is because Acura only has one model without options -v6 awd, not because of lack of v8 or even really image.

Most of 5-series, Gs-series, M-series, E-class sales go to the base rwd model. Then the other variations( wagons, awd, rwd, 525i, 530i, 550i) kick in their share of sales equaling something Acura can't match with one model priced at msrp 50k.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by heyitsme
Sure the RL is a little understated looking, but I think why the sales don't stack up against other brands is because Acura only has one model without options -v6 awd, not because of lack of v8 or even really image.

Most of 5-series, Gs-series, M-series, E-class sales go to the base rwd model. Then the other variations( wagons, awd, rwd, 525i, 530i, 550i) kick in their share of sales equaling something Acura can't match with one model priced at msrp 50k.

I think the RL would do much better if they offered more choices. Particularly a RWD version that would at least cut $4K off the MSRP, would get better MPG, and could be quicker. And could make some standard options, optional such as nav, xenons, rear sunshade, etc. I know some people that like to have just what they want, instead of a fully loaded car with things they don't need and pay extra for it.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:43 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
I think #1 reason the RL isn't selling is because it's looks, i mean seriously does this bring out any emotion from you? it looks like a slightly revised Accord.

DOES THIS LOOK LIKE A 50K CAR TO YOU?

looks more like a 40k car.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Is anyone aware of Honda's sales target versus actual sales numbers on the RL? (serious question) I know that Acura sold a little over 16,000 RLs through November 2005 (YTD) so, I'm wondering if they fell short, met or exceeded their sales expectations thus far.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
I think #1 reason the RL isn't selling is because it's looks, i mean seriously does this bring out any emotion from you? it looks like a slightly revised Accord.

DOES THIS LOOK LIKE A 50K CAR TO YOU?

Originally Posted by F23A4
As far as the RL goes, I feel that it's a MUCH better car than the previous RL. However, I kind of see it in the same light as I did the 1G Legend: Luxurious but definitely reminds me of the Accord.

Throw on some xenons, Bluetooth and a power sunroof on the Accord Hybrid and I'd be hard pressed to justify the RL's $20k premium over it.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:26 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Throw on some xenons, Bluetooth and a power sunroof on the Accord Hybrid and I'd be hard pressed to justify the RL's $20k premium over it.
Dude, the Accord interior sucks ... It's crap material IMO
Old 12-15-2005, 08:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by project13TSX
wow look at those lincoln hicks, they talk alot for people who'll all soon be driving lincoln mazdas

But I concur that the new RL in photos looks like a fancy-dancy Accord.
It's a very nice car in reality, but if you park it next to an Accord, you get the idea that they are close cousins. The TSX and TL don't bother me, but the RL really does look like a V6 Accord.

At $50K, the RL is priced too high. It's got 300 hp and AWD, and a lot of good features. It would be competitive at ~$42K.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by charliemike
Dude, the Accord interior sucks ... It's crap material IMO
While the Accord interior pales in comparison to the RL, it is a very nice interior for what it is. It is far from crap and the material quality is class leading in the segment. If you want to talk about crap interior materials, I'll take you for a ride in my 350Z
Old 12-15-2005, 08:56 PM
Pro

Is anyone aware of Honda's sales target versus actual sales numbers on the RL? (serious question) I know that Acura sold a little over 16,000 RLs through November 2005 (YTD) so, I'm wondering if they fell short, met or exceeded their sales expectations thus far.
I think their goal was to sell 20k a year
Old 12-16-2005, 07:56 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This topic is exactly why I brought up "IS350 vs RL" in cartalk.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:44 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Originally Posted by chungkopi

looks more like a 40k car.
i agree. i test drove an rl once and i admit, it's a fantastic car and the interior is beautiful. i wish i had the kind of money to buy a car like this.

but while looks are subjective, the car doesn't look like a $50,000 car that is to compete with the 5's/S's/M's/GS's/a6's...

and i dunno if it's just me, but the standard 17" rims look a little bland. especially considering the aggressive ones on the m45 and gs430.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Thumbs down Sedan Showdown Review

http://money.cnn.com/popups/2005/aut...n.exclude.html

Acura RL
Overall score: 25
Details and more photos

On paper, the Acura RL looks like it should do well: It has more standard features than any car in this test, and Acura is known for building sporty, solid, near-luxury cars. But in this exclusive class, that Acura formula is less convincing.

First, the good stuff. The RL doesn't offer a V-8, but its 290-horsepower V-6 is the strongest six in the field. It's got a slick all-wheel-drive system that helps the car scoot around corners, fine steering and an excellent navigation system. The new optional Collision Mitigation Braking System actually brakes the car when it senses that you're not slowing down quickly enough to avoid an accident.

So what's the problem? Value. Another Acura, the TL, gives you nearly as much car for $15,000 less. There's no avoiding the comparison: The RL and TL are both built on the Honda Accord platform. The RL is a bit shorter, it's 430 pounds heavier, and it feels no roomier inside. The RL does add AWD, more features and 32 extra horsepower, but it lacks those luxury intangibles that would justify its price tag. The top finishers here reassure you that you're driving something special, yet the RL makes you feel like you're driving, well, a really nice Honda.

As the final indignity, the TL is the better looking car. The tentatively styled RL could be mistaken for a next-generation Accord-not good for a sedan with upper crust aspirations.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by M TYPE X

At $50K, the RL is priced too high. It's got 300 hp and AWD, and a lot of good features. It would be competitive at ~$42K.
^^^ Bottomline!! AND, it would leave plenty of breathing room for a slightly upclass V8 powered RL to compete with the M45 & GS430.

Last edited by F23A4; 12-16-2005 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I think the major reasons the RL is not selling well are:

1. Exterior Looks
2. Interior space especially in the back
3. Power to weight ratio

In that order. Everything else is secondary.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TSX69
http://money.cnn.com/popups/2005/aut...n.exclude.html

Acura RL
Overall score: 25
Details and more photos

On paper, the Acura RL looks like it should do well: It has more standard features than any car in this test, and Acura is known for building sporty, solid, near-luxury cars. But in this exclusive class, that Acura formula is less convincing.

First, the good stuff. The RL doesn't offer a V-8, but its 290-horsepower V-6 is the strongest six in the field. It's got a slick all-wheel-drive system that helps the car scoot around corners, fine steering and an excellent navigation system. The new optional Collision Mitigation Braking System actually brakes the car when it senses that you're not slowing down quickly enough to avoid an accident.

So what's the problem? Value. Another Acura, the TL, gives you nearly as much car for $15,000 less. There's no avoiding the comparison: The RL and TL are both built on the Honda Accord platform. The RL is a bit shorter, it's 430 pounds heavier, and it feels no roomier inside. The RL does add AWD, more features and 32 extra horsepower, but it lacks those luxury intangibles that would justify its price tag. The top finishers here reassure you that you're driving something special, yet the RL makes you feel like you're driving, well, a really nice Honda.

As the final indignity, the TL is the better looking car. The tentatively styled RL could be mistaken for a next-generation Accord-not good for a sedan with upper crust aspirations.
I was thinking the EXACT same thing at the Detroit auto show. We drove to Detroit in my friend's then new 2005 TL 6-speed with Navi. We sat in the RL at the car show and I could not understand why anyone would pay $15k more for a RL. Yes, the AWD is nice but not fully necessary. The interior of the RL was a bit nicer but the TL has a excellent interior as well. The TL was larger with more exciting styling outside.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by M TYPE X
But that's what the price it's actually selling is at. $42K or in some cases even lower.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gavriil
But that's what the price it's actually selling is at. $42K or in some cases even lower.
Thats not the price people know from visiting the Acura.com web page.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I first saw the new RL, I wasnt too thrilled. Looks has a lot to do with it. But it has grown on me since I now own an Acura. When I see one, it doesnt strike me as a luxury car. But ever since I educated myself about it and learned more about it, I do like it. I guess its one of those things where first impressions are everything.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:28 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by cusdaddy
If you want to talk about crap interior materials, I'll take you for a ride in my 350Z
Yeah, I know but if shitty interiors never stopped Porsche owners from buying 911s.

And I hate to tell you but my Mazda3s has a nicer interior than the Accord. I liked the last-gen Sonata's interior better too.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:04 AM
Banned

The new RL is aggressive from the front. Overall, it's a very nice package. But a lot of people buy mid-lux cars based on how aggressive the exterior looks. The RL is too close to an Accord "look" for some people.

Then again, the redesigned S-Class, in photos, looks like a bloated Camry.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:05 AM
Banned

look = Extra-large Accord
but man I the technologies & handling
Old 12-18-2005, 02:31 AM
has been here awhile

Are you serious about the cross-shopping thing? Sure people are going to cross shop the 5er with the RL. Many already have. Check out the RL forums. The RL is the same size as a 5er (or an E-class, A6, GS, M, etc...) and is comparably equipped. Further, it's priced accordingly. It's a midsized luxury car. Acura doesn't claim it to be anything else.

As a midsized luxury car, it is designed to look like one. This means sporty. Is the 5er sporty? Sure it is. A6? It has a sporty stance. What's so wrong with this? While this may be Acura's flagship sedan as of right now, "flagship" is all relative. In other words, Acura designed the RL as a midsizer--not a heavy weight luxo barge (think A8, 7er, LS, S-class, XJ, or Phaeton). If Acura were to build a large vehicle to compete with the preceding vehicles, it would have a more stately look to it.

I truely believe the problem lies in poor marketing. Where the RL used to be a wallflower in the midsize lux segment, it is now a player, and Acura needs to advertise it like crazy. Customers are not just going to start dropping in Acura dealers. The product is good now, and they just need to let everyone know that. That is the only way they're going to start snagging E-class, 5er, and GS sales.

--and now to get off topic--

Further, I find it interesting that Lexus has deceived everyone in thinking that the LS is actually a fullsize prestige luxury sedan. Yes, it currently is Lexus' flagship, but is it as big as its competitors? Nope. Check out the long wheelbase versions of the 7er and A8. There's gobs more legroom for rear seat passengers, and further, their prices are way higher than the LS's (the LS starts out in the mid 50's...all the other luxo barges start in the low 70's). Yes, the Lexus walks the walk and talks the talk, but it seems to be masquerading right now, if you ask me, as it really doesn't fit the bill as a full-fledged "prestige"/flagship model size-wise, or price wise.

Last edited by SPUDMTN; 12-18-2005 at 02:33 AM.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:17 PM
luvs redheads!

man...acura really is screwing itself.

Now they want acura name over in japan...if it is the honda legend this year..next year it will be called??????

which bring me to my point: I work at lexus...people(older) are finally trading in there old legend sedans...for what..the LS430. Why, i think you can figure it out.

ACura is going downhill....hopefully when the new NSX concept comes out they will go up again.

Old 12-18-2005, 10:31 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by swift22
...ACura is going downhill...
But is it really? The products have never been better. It's the image that needs an infusion of life. For some reason, when people graduate from the TL they don't instinctively move up to the RL. They get themselves in a 5er or an E-class. It needs to be made known that the RL is just as good, if not better, than its status-y competition.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:16 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
ACura is going downhill...
Get your facts straight, Acura is going set all-time sales record for this year. http://hondanews.com/CatID3000?mid=2...48704&mime=asc

Thats why they are expanding to China and Japan, 2 of the biggest market in Asia.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:27 AM
Senior Moderator

man...acura really is screwing itself.

Now they want acura name over in japan...if it is the honda legend this year..next year it will be called??????

which bring me to my point: I work at lexus...people(older) are finally trading in there old legend sedans...for what..the LS430. Why, i think you can figure it out.

ACura is going downhill....hopefully when the new NSX concept comes out they will go up again.

Acura is NOT going downhill. Acura's higher volume TL and TSX sedans are at record levels and YTD ONLY the RSX is down versus 2004 through Nov 2005. (Even NSX sales are up 17% YTD through November.)

Link

Most automakers fall short of being an equal alternative to Lexus at the LS' price point. (Despite its aging chassis, the Q45 probably comes the closest to the LS of any Asian automaker.)

Fortunately, the RL is NOT at the LS' pricepoint and thus returns terrific value for a $48k-$50k car. Not to mention, the RL (despite not having a V8) is noteably sportier than the LS; "older people" tend to lean more towards creature comforts over sport features so that probably explains the Legend-> LS move.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:08 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
Further, I find it interesting that Lexus has deceived everyone in thinking that the LS is actually a fullsize prestige luxury sedan. Yes, it currently is Lexus' flagship, but is it as big as its competitors? Nope. Check out the long wheelbase versions of the 7er and A8. There's gobs more legroom for rear seat passengers, and further, their prices are way higher than the LS's (the LS starts out in the mid 50's...all the other luxo barges start in the low 70's). Yes, the Lexus walks the walk and talks the talk, but it seems to be masquerading right now, if you ask me, as it really doesn't fit the bill as a full-fledged "prestige"/flagship model size-wise, or price wise.

THANKYOU. I was beginning to think that I was the only one that saw that. While Lexus will correct it's size issue with the next LS, this one doesn't offer the rear seat comfort as the Germans, and has never been as big or imposing as them. Lexus' brilliant marketing brilliance has lead to they're dominance. As far as the price, I won't argue with the fact that they'ver offered a great value as compared to the Germans. But they can afford to do it because they're not techo leaders like MB. MB always seems to offer some new electronic something (for better or for worse) that helps justify the S's crazy price.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i agree that acura is NOT going downhill...they just have trouble going uphill at the same rate as the other makes have been.

i think that's more because of their stubborness than anything else...like with the RL.

most of us agree, probably along with the general public, that in order to be PERCEIVED as more prestigious, a manufacturer has to offer at least the levels of quality the RL and it's competitors offer, but also CHOICE...something the RL lacks. Choice as in options/packages...so what if they're bundled and more expensive, people still HAVE those choices with the other makes. Choices as in whether they want a sport model or regular...not dealer installed "a-spec" kits. Choice in v6 or v8, and rwd or awd.

This is obvious...see how popular the e-class and 5-series and GS are? All of them offer choices. So what if people have to option their cars out to be comparable to what the RL offers?...they at least have that CHOICE. Infiniti saw this and offers similar CHOICES with the M.

As for Acura...they just load the car up and TELL people what they need and don't need (ex. "you don't need rwd...awd is what you need" or "you don't need a v8, our powerful v6 is what you need" or "you don't need a sport option...our dealers can install the overpriced a-spec kit for you").

For example, let's say that I only eat blue M&M's. When I open up a bag, I eat only the blue ones and leave the others. What if M&M decides to only make blue ones. I'd feel cheated because I was forced to eat only blue ones rather than having a choice. Doesn't matter that i only eat blue ones...I WANT to be the one that chooses to eat the blue ones, not them.

I think it's the same with Acura. They load the car up with what they think people will like and TELL us to like it. This "one-size-fits-all" approach may work with civics and accords and even on tsx's and TL's, but at $50k+, I'd like a choice (more than one "tech package") in what is in my car and i'm sure most people who buy cars at this level also want CHOICE.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:59 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

But if they packaged only blue M&Ms, you would get exactly what you wanted and save yourself a lot of money on the other M&Ms. I agee that a small V8 would make the RL more blue M&M-y for more people, though. But if Honda makes a V8 they get egg on their face, and isn't that a big deal for the Japanese?
Old 12-20-2005, 02:39 AM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
...For example, let's say that I only eat blue M&M's. When I open up a bag, I eat only the blue ones and leave the others. What if M&M decides to only make blue ones. I'd feel cheated because I was forced to eat only blue ones rather than having a choice. Doesn't matter that i only eat blue ones...I WANT to be the one that chooses to eat the blue ones, not them...
I suppose I have never looked at it this way. I do want choice. Choice is indeed a luxury. But I wonder if this really pushes buyers away. Further, I wonder if this is really the RL's problem...
Old 12-20-2005, 07:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
I suppose I have never looked at it this way. I do want choice. Choice is indeed a luxury. But I wonder if this really pushes buyers away. Further, I wonder if this is really the RL's problem...

There's actually 2 prongs in my argument and one is more critical than the other.

1) Acura doesn't offer choices that some people [in this segment] want which turn buyers away.

2) Acura doesn't offer choices which turns buyers away.

I spent $56k on a m45 instead because I wanted a v8...I was turned away becuase of argument #1.

#1 is probably the big killer and #2 just adds to the pain. They can solve #2 (which they are trying with the Tech Package...but that's not enought to totally eliminate #2), but if they offer crap/overpriced options that people don't want, they still have #1 to deal with.

If they deal with #1 effectively, then #2 is moot.

But #2 by itself I feel is driving a lot of buyers away simply because what I stated in previous posts...TELLING a buyer, whose willing to spend $50k, what he wants is bad for the luxury business. It may work with civics and accords, but for the $50k+, the "luxury" buyer wants choice.

When i see my grandma, she throws veggies at me and tells me I HAVE to eat veggies. I love veggies and eat them regularly...but when she TELLS me I have to do something, I get turned off. Same thing.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by unlemming
But if they packaged only blue M&Ms, you would get exactly what you wanted and save yourself a lot of money on the other M&Ms. I agee that a small V8 would make the RL more blue M&M-y for more people, though. But if Honda makes a V8 they get egg on their face, and isn't that a big deal for the Japanese?

Honda is a business, not a popularity contest. If they get egg on their face, so what? if it's good for business that's all that counts. That's where their stubborness has hurt them. Honda should give the CONSUMER what he WANTS...not what HONDA thinks is good for him. They're gonna get egg on their face sooner or later...might as well save the pain and get it done now.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
Honda is a business, not a popularity contest. If they get egg on their face, so what? if it's good for business that's all that counts. That's where their stubborness has hurt them. Honda should give the CONSUMER what he WANTS...not what HONDA thinks is good for him. They're gonna get egg on their face sooner or later...might as well save the pain and get it done now.

Historically, the 5G Honda Accord was one such instance. While the Camry (~1988) and 626 (1993) went V6, Honda had NO intention of equipping the 5G Accord with a V6. (NOTE: there was a growing segment of people who wanted more powerful sedans without the quirkiness of turbos) Thus, it was engineered for the F22A motor only. The market forced Honda's hand and they had to stretch the 5G's frontend 3 inches to accomodate the old Legend C27A motor and rush the 95 AV6 onto the market.

But I will Honda credit on an area where they bucked the prevailing trend: VTEC. While Nissan (300ZX), Mistubishi (Starion) and Mazda (RX7) performance offerings were predicated on turbochargers, Honda focused on variable valve time technology to increase power while not adversely affecting gas mileage. Fast forward 20 years and variable valve timing (VVTLi, iVTEC, MIVEC, VVL) perdominate most Japanese performance and non-performance cars while turbos are only on a few applications (MS6, Evo, select Subarus).

So Honda has to bet whether A) V8s will go the way of turbos or B) will they have to adjust to the market in much the same manner as they did with the 5th gen Accord.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Banned

Historically, the 5G Honda Accord was one such instance. While the Camry (~1988) and 626 (1993) went V6, Honda had NO intention of equipping the 5G Accord with a V6. (NOTE: there was a growing segment of people who wanted more powerful sedans without the quirkiness of turbos) Thus, it was engineered for the F22A motor only. The market forced Honda's hand and they had to stretch the 5G's frontend 3 inches to accomodate the old Legend C27A motor and rush the 95 AV6 onto the market.

But I will Honda credit on an area where they bucked the prevailing trend: VTEC. While Nissan (300ZX), Mistubishi (Starion) and Mazda (RX7) performance offerings were predicated on turbochargers, Honda focused on variable valve time technology to increase power while not adversely affecting gas mileage. Fast forward 20 years and variable valve timing (VVTLi, iVTEC, MIVEC, VVL) perdominate most Japanese performance and non-performance cars while turbos are only on a few applications (MS6, Evo, select Subarus).

So Honda has to bet whether A) V8s will go the way of turbos or B) will they have to adjust to the market in much the same manner as they did with the 5th gen Accord.
In the mid-level luxury market, a V8 RWD is the engine/drivetrain that people want. People who get a 6 cylinder, do it for image....ie, they will not buy a 6 cylinder Honda.

TL is a hot seller because at the $30k entry level market......it is a great value and is probably the best car in the Acura lineup....sorry RL (dont get me wrong I love the SH-AWD and real time traffic), but too accord-looking and NSX is a one-off type of deal....

Quick Reply: Acura: RLX News