Acura: RLX News

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally saw the new RL in person. I think it actually looks worse than the pictures. The car is just bland and doesn't have much presence at a flagship. The rear end doesn't have much details, even less than an Accord coupe. The interior is nice but nothing really stood out. Dissapointed. The TL is a much nicer design, appearance wise.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:53 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
What is up with Honda and their bullshit gearing. 4th gear being only 0.69 is freaking pathetic.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:38 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Acura RL Best Performer in Crash Tests

Acura RL Best Performer in Crash Tests
U.S. Government - AP

WASHINGTON - The 2005 Acura RL was the only one of 18 vehicles tested to earn the government's highest rating, five stars, for front and side-impact crash tests and rollover prevention, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (news - web sites) said Monday.

Vehicles generally performed well, and none earned fewer than three stars on any test. NHTSA is testing 2005 models as they come on the market.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x2, Ford Explorer 4x2, Mercury Mountaineer 4x2, Chevrolet Tahoe 4x4 and GMC Yukon 4x4 were the worst performers in the rollover test, earning three stars. That rating means the chance of rollover in a single-vehicle crash is 20 to 30 percent.

The Ford Mustang had the lowest chance of rollover, at 8.7 percent. The best-performing sport utility vehicles in the rollover test were the Lincoln Navigator and the Toyota Highlander, which earned four stars and had a 17 percent chance of rolling over.

The Nissan Altima, Pontiac G6, Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix were the worst performers in the driver's side-impact test, earning three stars. That means there is an 11 to 20 percent chance of serious injury in a similar, 38.5 mph crash.

No vehicle got fewer than four stars in the frontal crash test, which is a 35 mph test.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ot/crash_tests

I posted it over at RL.Acurazine...might as well share it with ya'll here too

Old 12-14-2004, 06:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Of course, gilbo might pull some left field comment like why doesn't Honda do the same with all of it's lineup of cars?
Old 12-14-2004, 06:36 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
What's with all the gilbo bashing?

Biker, who sometimes agrees with gilbo

Good job for Honda. It is one of their goals to be the "safe" car maker along with their already known "green" reputation.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:40 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
What's with all the gilbo bashing?
Gilbo...

He's kind of a love-to-hate-this-guy member for me.

sauceman, who's actually glad gilbo's back, so he can get into heated arguments.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:56 AM
04 remembrance

Honda's safety rating is always high.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:51 PM
101 years of heartache...

Acura RL A-Spec Concept

The interior looks awesome! Despite those seats (look very Ferrari, though), the interior looks great. I love the blackend center console and blonde wood treatment. Have a look at the vtec.net pics incase you have not yet...

Acura RL A-Spec Concept
Old 01-11-2005, 12:20 AM
SSM Accord V6 6 Spd

Wow, now that's sexy...although I'm not feeling the leather. Those Xs on the seat aren't too good looking.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:49 AM
goldmemberererer

Check out the wallpaper I made: https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/wallpaper-rl-spec-concept-292559/
Old 01-11-2005, 01:19 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
The AcuraZine write-up on the RL A-SPEC:

https://acurazine.com/forums/acurazine-articles-2/acura-improves-upon-perfection-292545/
Old 01-11-2005, 09:32 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I don't like the chickenwire grillework but other than that the car looks hot
Old 01-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Safety Car

Love the interior.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Racer

2005 Acura RL new review (2 outta 4 stars)

http://www.freep.com/money/autorevie...e_20050505.htm

Its amazing how cars can get such different reviews from different sources.

MARK PHELAN: While it's loaded with features, new Acura RL isn't a standout

May 5, 2005

BY MARK PHELAN
FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

RELATED CONTENT
# MARK PHELAN: Navigation system gives traffic data
The new 2005 Acura RL midsize sport sedan is a good car that has the misfortune to be competing with several great cars.

The 300-horsepower all-wheel-drive midsize sedan is a vast improvement over the 225-horsepower front-wheel-drive car it replaced. However, the current models of the BMW 5-series, Cadillac STS and Mercedes-Benz E-class -- all of which were introduced within the last two years -- are better still, particularly in their handling and sporty feel.

BEHIND THE WHEEL
2005 Acura RL

Rating: TWO STARS out of four

Vehicle type: All-wheel-drive five-seat sport sedan.

Reasons to buy: All-wheel-drive; long list of standard features, attractive interior.

Shortcomings: Handling, price, interior fit and finish, no V8 or manual transmission available.
The RLs I drove also had several quality defects, including mismatched trim and poorly fitting pieces.

The Acura RLs I tested had a sticker rice of $49,100, not including destination charges. The car has no options. Everything, from a slick navigation system to ABS, stability control and six air bags, is standard equipment.

For comparison, prices for a rear-drive BMW 530i start at $46,500. The rear-drive V6 Cadillac STS base price is $40,525, while prices for the all-wheel-drive V6 Audi A6 start at $41,900. All prices exclude destination charges. None of the cars can match the RL's expansive list of standard features.

acura-inset.jpg
Honda
Despite the RL's impressive V6 and standard all-wheel-drive, it's less enjoyable in hard driving than some of its rivals.
Anyone who owned the previous RL will be delighted by the new model, which is selling at a far faster rate and brims over with interior features like an excellent Bose stereo, and a sophisticated navigation system that's linked to a satellite-radio receiver for real-time warnings of construction delays and traffic jams ahead.

Further, the switch from front- to all-wheel-drive allows the RL to take full advantage of Honda's powerful and fuel-efficient variable valve-timing 3.5-liter V6. The RL also features a crisp and precise five-speed automatic transmission and achieved EPA ratings of 18 m.p.g. city/26 m.p.g. highway. That's better fuel economy than the old RL, despite the new car's model's heavier weight and greater power but a couple of miles per gallon less than what the rear-wheel-drive BMW 530i sedan gets.

SPECS
2005 Acura RL

Vehicle type: All-wheel-drive, five-seat sport sedan

Base price: $49,100 (excluding destination charges)

As tested: $49,100

Standard equipment: ABS with electronic brake assist; traction control; electronic stability control; front, curtain and front-seat air bags; keyless access and ignition system; power locks and windows; leather upholstery and maple wood trim, heated power front seats with memory for driver's seat; tire pressure monitoring system; fog lights, twilight-sensing headlights; DVD navigation system with real-time traffic information; 10-speaker Bose AM/FM/XM satellite stereo with six-disc in-dash CD changer; illuminated storage in front console; rear armrest with trunk pass-through; hands-free telephone interface; sunroof; active noise cancellation; OnStar; dual-zone automatic climate control; tilt and telescope steering wheel.

Options: None
Specifications as tested

Engine: 3.5-liter 24-valve DOHC V6 with variable valve timing

Power: 300 horsepower at 6,200 r.p.m.; 260 pound-feet of torque at 5,000 r.p.m.

Transmission: Five-speed automatic

Fuel economy: 18 m.p.g. city/26 m.p.g. highway

Wheelbase: 110.2 inches

Length: 193.6 inches

Width: 72.7 inches

Height: 57.1 inches

Curb weight: 3,984 pounds

Where assembled: Sayama, Japan
Comparative base prices
(not including shipping charges)
(Automatic transmission models)

Audi A6 3.2 quattro: $41,900

BMW 530i: $46,500

Cadillac STS V6: $40,525

Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic: $52,500

Despite the engine's impressive output and the standard all-wheel-drive, I found the RL to be less enjoyable and satisfying in hard driving than the 5-series, STS or E-class.

That's at least in part due to the RL's nose-heavy weight distribution. A full 59 percent of the car's weight is over the front axle, compared to more even front-rear distributions for the other three cars.

Imbalanced weight distribution helps lead to understeer, the feeling that the front end wants to go straight even though the wheels are turned in hard cornering. Understeer is one of the most common problems for front-wheel-drive cars, both because they tend to be poorly balanced and because their front wheels are burdened with propelling and steering the cars.

I find it interesting that -- even when they move to all-wheel-drive, which should reduce of those problems -- Acuras and Audis tend to be nose-heavy. That's partially because all-wheel-drive adds parts and weight to the front of their cars, but I suspect it's also partly due to their heritage of building front-drive models. Both brands seem to have more trouble -- or perhaps less interest in -- developing a perfectly balanced car than BMW or Mercedes.

The RL's speed variable power steering is excellent, however, very nicely tuned for a progressive feel and appropriate levels of assist at all speeds.

The all-wheel-drive system, which Acura modestly calls Super Handling AWD or SH-AWD, is actually a bit less capable than the systems on some other cars, even the prosaic and far less pricey Ford Five Hundred. SH-AWD's default mode sends 70 percent of traction to the front wheels, and it can send a maximum of 70 percent to the rear wheels in heavy acceleration. All of that power can be directed to a single rear wheel if necessary, but SH-AWD cannot vary torque between the front wheels in the way AWD systems on cars like the Five Hundred and Mercedes' 4Matic models.

The system is engineered for optimum handling, but I thought it was most helpful on snow and slippery surfaces.

The suspension absorbs bumps very capably, although I would have preferred a bit firmer ride for tauter handling.

Interior noise is at best average among midsize luxury sedans. The RL's stereo has a slick noise-canceling feature, but it is used only to reduce exhaust noise rather than limit road and wind noise.

The car's interior is extremely attractive, trimmed with lovely dark wood and soft leather.

However, the spring-loaded cigarette lighters on all the RLs I drove were sticky, refusing to open fully. The wood trim on the dashboard and doors also did not line up correctly. Most surprisingly, the plastic ignition switch fell off the steering column of one RL.

Acura says that problem occurred only in some of the first regular-production RLs built last year, and that the cars it's building now also have better interior fit and finish. I would take a very close look at those features before buying an RL, however.

In addition, the feature that tilts the RL's sideview mirrors down when the car is in reverse did not function properly.

The exterior styling is attractive, but a bit bland compared to the sharply creased body of the smaller Acura TL sedan.

Overall, the RL is a giant leap for Acura, but a small step for sport sedans, despite its attractive interior and impressive list of standard features.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:33 PM
Safety Car

I still can't warm up to the interior. And the exterior's facia is to close to the new Odyssey, IMO. Should have been closer to the TL and TSX.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:47 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AcuraGT-3
For comparison, prices for a rear-drive BMW 530i start at $46,500.
They should throw all the options on the BMW that are STANDARD on the Acura and then compare the price.
The BMW will probably be pushing 60K.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:57 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
agreed, LOL, everybody is entitled but honestly. Comparing an entry level 530 and a6 with nothing that the RL offers to a fully loaded RL....but it's cheaper. Complaints about lack of a v8? They price out v8 a6 and 5 series?@#$ idiots..... nock the RL for not having gobs of power but this review is ass. Fit and finish has been noted to be top notch. Perhaps they recieved a test mule that had been beat on?
Old 05-13-2005, 07:00 AM
Outnumbered at home

Think it was a fair review. He just placed a lot of emphasis on the sporty aspect of the car. I always thought of the RL as more of a luxury oriented vehicle

Sure if i wanted more sport I would do BMW (mercedes I don't think so).

Suprised at the quality problems. Probably cost the RL a star.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:55 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
If Acura made the RL w/ RWD and a V8 the critics would be singing the praises of Acura.......RWD and a V8 is what the critics want......V6 and AWD in a large flagship sedan will NEVER make the car critics happy.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:02 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Shortcomings: Handling, interior fit and finish
Surprised at those two considering most reviews praise the car's handling and interior quality. I'd give this review almost no weight whatsoever.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
And somewhere...1Sicklex just had a mini-orgasm after reading about the poor showing the RL got in this review.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Shortcomings: Handling, price, interior fit and finish,
What car did this person drive?
Old 05-13-2005, 02:53 PM
hail to the victors

detroit free press?

i bet they loved buick lacrosse. LOL
Old 05-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Yumchah
And somewhere...1Sicklex just had a mini-orgasm after reading about the poor showing the RL got in this review.
Hehehe... a big orgasim.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:08 PM
The Acura Granddaddy

What a shitty review....the lighter is meant to be sticky, otherwise the slightest tap of it would make it come all the way open. Also, the ignition switch coming off...it's supposed to! The salespuke must have released it showing it to another customer or something and did not attach it properly. Underneath that plastic switch is a real ignition.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:24 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by LegendC
What a shitty review....the lighter is meant to be sticky, otherwise the slightest tap of it would make it come all the way open. Also, the ignition switch coming off...it's supposed to! The salespuke must have released it showing it to another customer or something and did not attach it properly. Underneath that plastic switch is a real ignition.
You gotta get used to their reviews...Detorit Free Press is well known for their Honda/Acura bashings.

And yes, that review is bullshit.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:09 PM
Banned

Acura RL sales falling?

Ford forums discuss Acura: http://www.blueovalforums.com/index....topic=267&st=0

Comparing Acura and ... Lincoln
Old 12-14-2005, 10:51 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think the exterior and high entry price pretty much killed it. I mean, for a 50k car that exterior is just wow, boring to the extremes, and it resembles an accord a bit too much.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:07 PM
Banned

wow look at those lincoln hicks, they talk alot for people who'll all soon be driving lincoln mazdas
Old 12-14-2005, 11:19 PM
Banned

wow i didn't know limo cab drivers actrually know Internet
Old 12-15-2005, 12:03 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by project13TSX
wow look at those lincoln hicks, they talk alot for people who'll all soon be driving lincoln mazdas
Amazing. There's nothing wrong with the Zephyr. The biggest gripe I have about it is that it isn't offered with the 3.5L Duratec and six speed (though it will soon). The exterior is completely different from that of the Mazda 6, and the Fusion/Milan. Sure, there are similarites to the shape, but it's not a blatant rebadge. I never here complaints about Acura "hicks" (USDM Accord/TL, Euro Accord/TSX), or those Lexus "hicks" (Camry/ES330). Every article I read about it is positive, and I was impressed when I finally saw it in person. Should it be on the same showroom floor as the Milan? NO. Alot of automakers make luxed out versions of their bread and butter cars, as per my examples. But if Lincoln does it, then they're customers are hicks?! Give it a fuckin' rest.

Last edited by titan; 12-15-2005 at 12:07 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by project13TSX
Old 12-15-2005, 12:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Where you been? RL sales arent doing great at all... AGAIN.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:44 AM
My M45 loves to eat rice

Originally Posted by titan
Amazing. There's nothing wrong with the Zephyr. The biggest gripe I have about it is that it isn't offered with the 3.5L Duratec and six speed (though it will soon). The exterior is completely different from that of the Mazda 6, and the Fusion/Milan. Sure, there are similarites to the shape, but it's not a blatant rebadge. I never here complaints about Acura "hicks" (USDM Accord/TL, Euro Accord/TSX), or those Lexus "hicks" (Camry/ES330). Every article I read about it is positive, and I was impressed when I finally saw it in person. Should it be on the same showroom floor as the Milan? NO. Alot of automakers make luxed out versions of their bread and butter cars, as per my examples. But if Lincoln does it, then they're customers are hicks?! Give it a fuckin' rest.
Four different versions of the same car is enough reason to consider that whole platform a joke. The cars are all pretty much the same, regardless of the improved interior materials in the Lincoln or whatever is better in the Mercury. These cars are boring, and it's even worse that no one will be able to differentiate them from each other without a badge. I've seen reviews of all three cars in the major magazines, and I know already I'm going to have trouble telling the difference between them. I understand the Ford Fusion got pretty good reviews, but this sharing is ridiculous. And I'm not necessarily going to praise Toyota for making the Camry and ES330 nearly the same, but this isn't as bad. Lexus has at least distinguished themselves as a luxury brand, and this is really the only CAR (don't get me started on the trucks) that shares nearly everything with Toyota. Ford seems to do this copying without effort.

And another thing, can't GM or Ford put a decent powerplant in a mid-sized sedan? They are considered sports sedans, yet they have poor handling with FWD and they all sputter with 8 second 0-to-60 times. The only car I could honestly say did a good job is the new Impala SS, which is still entering a very busy price segment when fully loaded.

People say this isn't an important thing, but there's the reason why Acura is selling TL's like hotcakes and Infiniti does well with the G35 sedan. Japan is ahead of America in interiors, and that whole descrepancy in power isn't helping either. Can't someone toss a 280-horsepower engine underneath the bonnet for most of these mid-sized American sedans?

One thing I do like about the Zephyr, and that's the front nose. I think the whole 1960's Continental-lookalike front is very attractive.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MattT516
People say this isn't an important thing, but there's the reason why Acura is selling TL's like hotcakes ...

Acura's RL sales continue to disappoint, falling a steep 36% in November to a mere 1,298 units.

From AutoSpies:
Old 12-15-2005, 01:04 AM
My M45 loves to eat rice

Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
Sorry, got a little carried away with the whole Lincoln discussion. Had to prove a point about the Zephyr/Fusion/Milan, I guess it was bothering me.

But, I guess my point could also extend to the RL. This has been beaten to a bloody pulp, but if Acura had a V8 under the hood like the 545i, M45, and GS430 do, I don't think they'd be having problems selling cars. The interior is beautiful and the car is a technological wonder, but the fact remains it has no low-end torque or really that much power at any RPM.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:11 AM
styling on you

I think #1 reason the RL isn't selling is because it's looks, i mean seriously does this bring out any emotion from you? it looks like a slightly revised Accord.

DOES THIS LOOK LIKE A 50K CAR TO YOU?

Last edited by SeCsTaC; 12-15-2005 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:18 AM
styling on you

Old 12-15-2005, 01:27 AM
My M45 loves to eat rice

Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
I think #1 reason the RL isn't selling is because it's looks, i mean seriously does this bring out any emotion from you? it looks like a slightly revised Accord.

DOES THIS LOOK LIKE A 50K CAR TO YOU?

Not for nothing, but throw some 20-inch wheels, A-Spec body kit, rear spoiler, and clear the headlights and that car will get more looks than a TL ever will. Every car has the potential to look great, from an orange Lamborghini to a silver Kia Rio. The exterior happens to be understated yet beautiful. The only problem with that is no one is motivated enough to really properly do up an RL, considering it's an old man's car to most people. Hell, I think the Redondo Red Pearl is gorgeous on that car but no one would probably go for it because it kinda livens up that car a little too much. Most of the guys on the RL board really just like their cars to be kept stock, and that's cool too. I think it more or less has to do with demographic in that sense.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Indeed maybe Ford is having an issue with giving their mid-sized sedans any type of power but fortunately, Chrysler and GM dont feel likewise:

Charger R/T 340hp
Charger SRT8 425hp
Impala SS 303hp
Grand Prix GXP 303hp
Grand Prix GTP 260hp

That said I share your angst Matt with regard to Ford's decisionmaking regarding Ford, Mercury, Lincoln and Mazda midsized sedans: decent looking cars with Ford Taurus powertrains is not going to cut it for people like us.

As far as the RL goes, I feel that it's a MUCH better car than the previous RL. However, I kind of see it in the same light as I did the 1G Legend: Luxurious but definitely reminds me of the Accord. Contrarily, the Q45 and Lexus LS dont have that problem. Acura needs to reinvent the Legend!!

Last edited by F23A4; 12-15-2005 at 08:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Acura: RLX News