Acura: RLX News

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by soopa
Why not?

The RL is targetting the GS, plenty of people have raced GS's. I wouldnt do it. But some do.
We'll see. If the RL costs 45-50k, with solid mods (an easy 10k) we are looking at RL owners spending 60k total on this car. I don't think it will happen. I think this car will be marketed sporty but it will be bought by people who don't mod cars. They want a solid, quality, luxury filled Acura.
the bottom line is this will crush the competition for awhile and there will be plenty of haters/doubters but the numbers will not lie. I'm just counting the days till they throw this in every single car honda/acura sells like how subi's put awd on all cars, audi's have quattro option on most cars.
Crush???? U can't be serious. THis car is a very solid effort but crush????

At this price range, sporty does not really come into play. It's about luxury, smoothness, quiet, and BRAND. Will people pay for a 50k Acura????? We will see. For every modded GS/5/E, you have 1,000 that are leased or not touched by the owner.
They didn't when the NSX was 60k 14 years ago let alone today, 90k.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:24 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
We'll see. If the RL costs 45-50k, with solid mods (an easy 10k) we are looking at RL owners spending 60k total on this car. I don't think it will happen. I think this car will be marketed sporty but it will be bought by people who don't mod cars.
If they do an AWD Coupe like a 2008 Legend revival, I will buy one and I will MOD it.
Hopefully if they nail the suspension right, then the only thing I will have to touch is cosmetic stuff like Rims, Tint & Audio upgrades.

Shawn S
Old 04-27-2004, 01:08 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
We'll see. If the RL costs 45-50k, with solid mods (an easy 10k) we are looking at RL owners spending 60k total on this car. I don't think it will happen. I think this car will be marketed sporty but it will be bought by people who don't mod cars. They want a solid, quality, luxury filled Acura.
Nevertheless, the point remains, many a man think their GS's are race cars.

Many a man will think the same of the cheaper RL.

Just as many people here think the CL is a race car, there are identical people with deeper pockets who will buy the RL.

I dont know if you have seen this car in person yet, but its not BIG at all. It looks like a sporty sedan... compareable to a 5 series and even similar to the new TL in presence.

Now if the 5-series and the GS can be sporty why cant a RL?
Old 04-27-2004, 01:34 PM
4dr & I like it that way

At this price range, sporty does not really come into play. It's about luxury, smoothness, quiet, and BRAND. Will people pay for a 50k Acura????? We will see. For every modded GS/5/E, you have 1,000 that are leased or not touched by the owner.
They didn't when the NSX was 60k 14 years ago let alone today, 90k.
people paid 45k+ for the old legend. the new RL (arguably) has looks, great interior, tons of features, and now it has performance. the old RL had a great quite ride/smoothness, i dont believe acura would screw that up. there is no reason it wont be able to compete at 50k imo

we dont even know everything the production car will have yet
Old 04-27-2004, 01:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Because this is sick we're talking about and he pisses his pants everytime some says something nice about an Acura (because, you know, Lexus is so much better).
Old 04-27-2004, 02:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Crush???? U can't be serious. THis car is a very solid effort but crush????
I was referring to the handling of the car. of course it won't have an easy time outselling the strong players
Old 04-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Safety Car

Okay, okay. IMHO, this RL has great potential, but it does come with a handicap (FWD) to a segment littered with RWD cars. This car can be sporty, sure, and the AWD aspect will play a MAJOR role in that image, since people customers simply do not equate FWD with sportiness... but that's okay. I agree with alot of what lex said. This car will lean alot more towards the "luxury" aspect of this segment than the "sport" aspect of this segment, though all of the cars are supposed to exibit "sporty luxury." Like the new M and STS, this car will have to actually prove itself against the extablishment (E-Class,5-Series,A6 and even the GS has proven itself a competitor with it's last gen car). Even though all the RL's runs on the "ring" will lend validation to it's sporty capablilites, I think most customers will opt for the extremely quiet, great handling, CHEAPER, and luxurious FWD version. Similar to the concept of offering a V8 option in all the aformentioned cars (with the exception of the RL, unfortunately), this AWD system will cast a halo on the car, and simply having the option to buy it will help drive sales. That's because even though it'll be cheaper without it, people will say "This car can easily be as sporty as the competiton" because the AWD system can be had. Though all of the cars in Acura's line up will have this sporty ability, I think the image will continue to be one of top notch luxury and refinement, being strengthened with this RL. That's just IMHO.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by titan
Okay, okay. IMHO, this RL has great potential, but it does come with a handicap (FWD) to a segment littered with RWD cars. This car can be sporty, sure, and the AWD aspect will play a MAJOR role in that image, since people customers simply do not equate FWD with sportiness... but that's okay. I agree with alot of what lex said. This car will lean alot more towards the "luxury" aspect of this segment than the "sport" aspect of this segment, though all of the cars are supposed to exibit "sporty luxury." Like the new M and STS, this car will have to actually prove itself against the extablishment (E-Class,5-Series,A6 and even the GS has proven itself a competitor with it's last gen car). Even though all the RL's runs on the "ring" will lend validation to it's sporty capablilites, I think most customers will opt for the extremely quiet, great handling, CHEAPER, and luxurious FWD version. Similar to the concept of offering a V8 option in all the aformentioned cars (with the exception of the RL, unfortunately), this AWD system will cast a halo on the car, and simply having the option to buy it will help drive sales. That's because even though it'll be cheaper without it, people will say "This car can easily be as sporty as the competiton" because the AWD system can be had. Though all of the cars in Acura's line up will have this sporty ability, I think the image will continue to be one of top notch luxury and refinement, being strengthened with this RL. That's just IMHO.
I thought SHAWD will be standard.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
I was referring to the handling of the car. of course it won't have an easy time outselling the strong players
I KNOW it will be a solid handling car. Honda makes some of the best FWD handling cars for some time now. Adding AWD should make it better.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:23 PM

Nevertheless, the point remains, many a man think their GS's are race cars.

Many a man will think the same of the cheaper RL.

Just as many people here think the CL is a race car, there are identical people with deeper pockets who will buy the RL.

I dont know if you have seen this car in person yet, but its not BIG at all. It looks like a sporty sedan... compareable to a 5 series and even similar to the new TL in presence.

It doesn't even sound sporty . We'll see as current RL owners will be like WTF when they want to trade up to the new one.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by Davediego
people paid 45k+ for the old legend. the new RL (arguably) has looks, great interior, tons of features, and now it has performance. the old RL had a great quite ride/smoothness, i dont believe acura would screw that up. there is no reason it wont be able to compete at 50k imo

we dont even know everything the production car will have yet
No they didn't. The car sold slow as molasses when the price skyrocketed like that. Most Legends are L or LS ones, which were in the low to mid 30s. (the dang yen hurt a lot of Japanese cars in the early 90s).
Old 04-27-2004, 07:29 PM

I thought the AWD is standard? I wonder how many Honda wants to sell of these a year?????

I am sure it will do well for Honda. If they price it even to GS 300s and M35s etc, you have a 300hp V-6, AWD car for about 45k, the same price as a new one. That is damn good.
If it is 50k and higher, that is V-8 territory. It doesn't matter how many HP it has, when people want extra cylinders, they just want em (sometimes not a rational decision).
Old 04-27-2004, 10:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Im going to call BS on the nurburgring statement until I see some sort of video with a production car.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:41 AM
10th Gear

No they didn't. The car sold slow as molasses when the price skyrocketed like that. Most Legends are L or LS ones, which were in the low to mid 30s. (the dang yen hurt a lot of Japanese cars in the early 90s).
I own a Legend LS coupe, which was the top of the line Legend coupe. There were only two types of coupes, the L and LS. And yes the LS did sell msrp for 45+ back in the day, but ofcourse that was when Acura was regarded by many among the top of Japanese luxury.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:58 AM
4dr & I like it that way

low to mid 30s was the vigor
Old 04-28-2004, 09:07 AM
Safety Car

I thought the AWD is standard? I wonder how many Honda wants to sell of these a year?????

I am sure it will do well for Honda. If they price it even to GS 300s and M35s etc, you have a 300hp V-6, AWD car for about 45k, the same price as a new one. That is damn good.
If it is 50k and higher, that is V-8 territory. It doesn't matter how many HP it has, when people want extra cylinders, they just want em (sometimes not a rational decision).
I agree. I thought that the AWD was optional, but if it's standard, that's even better. Still, as you say, at 50K, you'd better have a V8 in there. Only MB and BMW get's away with that $50K/V6 bullshit.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by LegendaryAcs
I own a Legend LS coupe, which was the top of the line Legend coupe. There were only two types of coupes, the L and LS. And yes the LS did sell msrp for 45+ back in the day, but ofcourse that was when Acura was regarded by many among the top of Japanese luxury.
I was talking about the rare GS Legend 4 door, with the 16" AMG look wheels, blackout grill, 6 speed manual, Type II 230hp engine.

But since u owned one and said it was 45k, I gotta go with you.
low to mid 30s was the vigor
VIgor was a 25-30k car dude. It was not that expensive.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:27 PM
5th Gear

No, the Vigor was $30 to $34K...my folks had one. So was the first generation TL.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:33 PM
Team Owner

The Legend Coupe topped out at 43,200 + dest back in 1995.
The 4-Door was always a few grand cheaper. I think it topped out at 41,000, but I don’t have the numbers handy.
I paid 36,000 for my 91 5-Speed Coupe back in 1992 and it was worth every penny !!!
And when comparing this number to other cars, remember that back then this was the price for EVERYTHING.
Unlike BMW & Mercedes who continue to charge for stuff like Heated seats, Xenon lights & Sunroofs.
For Acura, all you do is pick your color, NAVI & Tranny choice and you’re good to go.
So if they are throwing around the 50K number that’s probably FULLY LOADED.
Try buying a 5-Series Bimmer for that. Not even the 6-Banger w/ options.
You’ll hit some serious stumbling blocks when you get to the “optional equipment” list.

Old 04-28-2004, 01:44 PM
RODDYS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, does price matter with the new RL. I mean the thing is gonna be bad. Acura even said atthe new york show that its the badest engine yet for acura. That say alot if they are saying its better than the NSX. Oh they are also saying that rumors report that the pics of the car at New York is very similar to what it will look like.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:45 PM
4dr & I like it that way

Originally posted by Platy
No, the Vigor was $30 to $34K...my folks had one. So was the first generation TL.
mine had a 94 vigor as well
Old 04-28-2004, 03:22 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by roddymerritt
Guys, does price matter with the new RL. I mean the thing is gonna be bad. Acura even said atthe new york show that its the badest engine yet for acura. That say alot if they are saying its better than the NSX. Oh they are also saying that rumors report that the pics of the car at New York is very similar to what it will look like.
Yeah, price matters. Assuming this car comes just about fully load, leaving just a few options maybe (and I doubt even that, except maybe the navi), they really can't go crazy and charge more that $50K for this 6 cyl car. They have to give it some time to prove itself. Acura came out with a ballsy 10% increase with the new TL over the previous gen TL, but they could do that because it sold so well and it proved itself (not to mention having a little wiggle room to creep up with the TSX). Point is, price matters, no matter how bad the engine is.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:48 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Source: Autospies

As first reported in Auto Spies, we broke the rumor that the next generation Acura RL would eventually showcase a hybrid version of the RL.

Well, we're happy to report that our sources are CONFIRMING that a the hybrid model of the RL should show up as a 2006 model.

Old 05-12-2004, 10:02 AM
Duck Fuke!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^^ 350hp?
Old 05-12-2004, 10:04 AM
Certified Lurker

Thats great...posibly somehting like an RL type S or something like that since its gonna have more hten 300hp wiht the hybrid, prob like 250 instead of 300 for the regular engine and 100 hp with the electric is my guess. Very cool though.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Safety Car

^^ OOhhhh, an RL Type-S would be very, very cool.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:59 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
acura should make the RL innovative and make the hybrid available AND standard from the beginning not this 1 yr later crap
Old 05-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,661 Likes on 13,897 Posts
Originally posted by Infamous425
acura should make the RL innovative and make the hybrid available AND standard from the beginning not this 1 yr later crap
Wow, there's just no pleasing some of you, hey?
This car is now 300HP. AWD. And will come out later as a hybrid.

But no. We need it to be 5000HP. AWD. Make it look like a Ferrari Modena. Have it in stick. And released yesterday...*sighs*
Old 05-12-2004, 01:49 PM
Work safe avatar bish :D

Old 05-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Safety Car

I hope all the cars get two versions, would be a shame to see the typeS die.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:21 PM
__

Originally posted by heyitsme
I hope all the cars get two versions, would be a shame to see the typeS die.
what r u smoking? the Type-S already did die!
Old 05-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Zoot
what r u smoking? the Type-S already did die!
wat!!?? there's not more RSX typeS either?
Old 05-12-2004, 11:23 PM
__

oops...forgot that one
Old 05-14-2004, 04:10 AM
Suzuka Master

A-spec is the new catch phrase
Old 05-14-2004, 09:47 AM
Work safe avatar bish :D

Originally posted by KavexTrax

A-spec :bubbarubb
Old 05-14-2004, 10:45 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by KavexTrax
a-spec is only cosmetics and handling only and from all the reviews it improves it alot.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Legend price. That was different money back then. $40K in 1995 was more money than $40K is in 2004.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:56 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Zapata
a-spec is only cosmetics and handling only and from all the reviews it improves it alot.
A-Spec is a joke. What does the A-Spec include?

Upgraded wheels/tires. Type-S had those too.

New steering wheel. Type-S had perforated leather on the steering wheel, seets, gearshift with Type-S emblem, and white faced guages.

Upgraded suspension. This might improve handling, but no more than the the Type-S suspension's upgrade did from the CLP --> CLS.

But in the Type-S, you also got 260hp, 232lb/ft, and a stability control system.

FOR LESS THAN HALF THE PRICE OF THE A-SPEC PACKAGE!!!!! The only thing that the A-Spec package includes that the Type-S didn't is a cheesy aero kit.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:44 PM
goldmemberererer

I more or less agree, but the TL A-Spec wheels are pretty fucking cool. Also, what's to say that the A-Spec won't be expanded to include performance upgrades in the future? (Whether it be a higher displacement V6/V8 or a hybrid type deal)

I think that now that Type-S like power is standard on the TL and they're focusing less on a better engine and more on better everything else, A-Spec makes the most sense for Acura. I don't dig it much, but they do have to make money.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:12 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by goldmemberer
I more or less agree, but the TL A-Spec wheels are pretty fucking cool. Also, what's to say that the A-Spec won't be expanded to include performance upgrades in the future? (Whether it be a higher displacement V6/V8 or a hybrid type deal)

I think that now that Type-S like power is standard on the TL and they're focusing less on a better engine and more on better everything else, A-Spec makes the most sense for Acura. I don't dig it much, but they do have to make money.
Oh I definately see where you are coming from. The TL doesn't need anymore power and it already has the Type-S VSA gizmo. However, they are not at all justified in pricing it at $5k+. That is it's primary downfall.

Quick Reply: Acura: RLX News