Acura: RLX News

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 03:59 PM
goldmemberererer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LegendC
Yeah it is, but I don't remember seeing any keyholes
Haha, I'm not saying I saw any either, but deductive reasoning tells me that if they made an "emergency key," somewhere, they have to have made an ""emergency keyhole." So I'm just saying that it probably exists but is discreet. And I'm also pretty sure that the key is not standard car size, I'm sure it's thin and stealthy.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:10 PM
Safety Car

Looks like there is a keyhole right on the drivers door handle.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,110 Likes on 3,614 Posts
Sat in the new RL and it is NICE

OK, count me amongst those that were completely unimpressed w/ the photos of the new RL (bland mostly) but this car has a ton of presence once you see it personally. I got in one for about 15 minutes and just looked around, may drive it Thursday. Loaded it was 49.9K and if I was in the market for a new car, this would be at or near the top of my list. Acura has built a car that is truly luxurious inside and out and being a hard one to convince, I'm even more impressed with Acura's effort. I like Acura's version of keyless go that allows you to keep the key fob in your pocket, purse and when you get to within 2 feet of the car, unlocks the doors. It'll learn 600 voice commands so you never have to touch anything, the stereo is unbelievable. I want this car! Living in Buffalo it'd suit me just fine to be able to drive it in the winter around here. I'd buy this car over a comparably priced Benz (barely equipped E maybe?); BMW (well equipped 530?); Audi (A6 6 cyl); Lexus, and Infiniti Jag, name it. I loved this car.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:32 AM
Stay or leave

good review but no thanks, i'll pass on this car. would rather save almost 20k and get the TL
Old 10-19-2004, 11:18 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
No thanks but I'll take a E320. My mom just got one and it is sweet as hell. The build quality is light years beyond any Acura.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,110 Likes on 3,614 Posts
Tell ya what, I've driven a 760, multiple 740's, an S500, Audis galore and none have an interior as nice as this thing. The TL is nice but I'm telling ya Black, this RL rocks that car's world.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Instructor

"The build quality is light years beyond any Acura. "

Is this a slight exaggeration - light years beyond any Acura ? The last time I heard that MB still has reliability issues.. Unless reliability doesn't fall into "build quality"
Old 10-19-2004, 11:37 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
No thanks but I'll take a E320. My mom just got one and it is sweet as hell. The build quality is light years beyond any Acura.
That’s not what I’ve heard about Mercedes lately.
I’ve heard they’re battling with all kinds of quality problems.

The RL is made in Japan so I’m sure its quality can’t be compared to the TL & CL which is what you're probably doing.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:53 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Every review I've read so far has nothing but praise for the materials used in the RL. On the contrary, many reviews for the E-Class have remarked about some questionable materials used, especially some of the plastics.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
i went to the love my mercedes tour this weekend.... all i can say....they have no build quality. Every vehicle i sat in was a rattle monster. The GM vehicles werent rattling like these things were. Even the new CLS....i thought the the trunk was open and I tried to pull it... NO!!! It was just misaligned miserably. It is horrible dude. Mercedes has lost it. I wasn't impressed at all. I actually left early because I was so disappointed.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:34 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Originally Posted by Shawn S
That’s not what I’ve heard about Mercedes lately.
I’ve heard they’re battling with all kinds of quality problems.

The RL is made in Japan so I’m sure its quality can’t be compared to the TL & CL which is what you're probably doing.
Hey, I'm just telling you my opinion. I love Honda just as much as the next guy, but the E320 is way better than any Honda I've ever driven. To be fair I have never driven the new RL or even sat in one for that matter but I just can't believe it could be better than an E Class Benz. However, I have driven the new TL and TSX and the build quality is average at best. BTW my mon has had her car for a month and no problems so far. But if she does I'm sure her dealer will take car of her since Benz dealerships have top notch service, unlike Acura.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:00 PM
Instructor

Black CLS 4 Life, I think you gotta (if you want of course) qualify/clarify what you mean by "build quality". Is it the material, gaps/seams, rattles, glass thickness ? Or is it just a "feeling" ?
Old 10-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would not be very adament about that. Mercedes and current Acura build quality is on par and Acura may be ahead in some cases when you consider total cost.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by dacura
"The build quality is light years beyond any Acura. "

Is this a slight exaggeration - light years beyond any Acura ? The last time I heard that MB still has reliability issues.. Unless reliability doesn't fall into "build quality"
Although I agree with you, no it does not. Reliability and build quality are separate.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Hey, I'm just telling you my opinion. I love Honda just as much as the next guy, but the E320 is way better than any Honda I've ever driven. To be fair I have never driven the new RL or even sat in one for that matter but I just can't believe it could be better than an E Class Benz. However, I have driven the new TL and TSX and the build quality is average at best. BTW my mon has had her car for a month and no problems so far. But if she does I'm sure her dealer will take car of her since Benz dealerships have top notch service, unlike Acura.
You cant compare how an E is built with how the TSX is built. Comparing the TSX with Mercedes's sport coupe is the fair comaprison and the TSX comes on top easy. Compare the E with this new RL. And if you go see it, it wont be much of a difference. In some respects, the RL will come on top. Acura now is at the top as far as quality is concerned.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:59 PM

Gav, I don't see your personal review in pg 25?
Old 10-19-2004, 03:08 PM
The Acura Granddaddy

So....heres a good question. How do you put aftermarket rims on without upsetting the Tire Pressure Monitoring Sustem?
Old 10-19-2004, 03:13 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Originally Posted by dacura
Black CLS 4 Life, I think you gotta (if you want of course) qualify/clarify what you mean by "build quality". Is it the material, gaps/seams, rattles, glass thickness ? Or is it just a "feeling" ?
What I mean buy "build quality" is the how the doors feel when you close them, no rattles or squeaks while driving, the lack of wind noise at high speed and the level of overall fit and finish of the car. These are the types of things that separate contenders from pretenders. Therefore, I say the E Class IMO has much better build quality than any Acura I've ever driven. Like Gav said build quailty does not equate to reliability.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:30 PM
goldmemberererer

If your mom has an E-class and has gone a month with no problems, consider yourself lucky, mang. My neighbor & my uncle both have an E and have both had problems such as:
1) Windows not going up/down properly.
2) Radio/CD changer not functioning. At all.
3) Overheating inside the cabin.
4) A very very laggy Tiptronic (gears take 3 seconds to engage)

MB makes the best auto trannies in the world, bar none. Primarily because they're about the only people who will put an auto tranny in a car that churns out 700 lb/ft of torque. Other manufacturers will sport SMG if not straight manuals. In any case, I know the transmission and engine (E500) are top notch. My dad's S500 has been trouble free, but the 03 E-class has had some pretty major electronic failures happen.

Frankly, I'd rather have my tranny blow twice a year and have my car in the shop for 2 weeks for it than go through what my neighbor's doin. He used to love the hell out of his car until the electronics started to fall apart. Not saying they're all like that, but every car by every manufacturer will have problems.

_

Honda's waterloo has been trannies. But since it's cost them so much, I'm of a firm belief that they're well-run enough of a company to not put out anything sub-par ever again (at least in the tranny department). Their electronics work flawlessly, are ergonomic, and plentiful in the RL. I think it'll be a great car, but I don't know if the U.S. market is ready for it. Sure, it may kick the living shit out of the E320 for a about the same price... you get a standard Navi, AWD, 300hp (vs 221), heated seats, and a dickload of other goodies.

Put that (along with a MB-esque body) on a Corolla and you can charge twice the price. I know I'm exaggerating, but what a brand name can do in America is
Old 10-19-2004, 03:55 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Originally Posted by goldmemberer
If your mom has an E-class and has gone a month with no problems, consider yourself lucky, mang. My neighbor & my uncle both have an E and have both had problems such as:
1) Windows not going up/down properly.
2) Radio/CD changer not functioning. At all.
3) Overheating inside the cabin.
4) A very very laggy Tiptronic (gears take 3 seconds to engage)

MB makes the best auto trannies in the world, bar none. Primarily because they're about the only people who will put an auto tranny in a car that churns out 700 lb/ft of torque. Other manufacturers will sport SMG if not straight manuals. In any case, I know the transmission and engine (E500) are top notch. My dad's S500 has been trouble free, but the 03 E-class has had some pretty major electronic failures happen.

Frankly, I'd rather have my tranny blow twice a year and have my car in the shop for 2 weeks for it than go through what my neighbor's doin. He used to love the hell out of his car until the electronics started to fall apart. Not saying they're all like that, but every car by every manufacturer will have problems.

_

Honda's waterloo has been trannies. But since it's cost them so much, I'm of a firm belief that they're well-run enough of a company to not put out anything sub-par ever again (at least in the tranny department). Their electronics work flawlessly, are ergonomic, and plentiful in the RL. I think it'll be a great car, but I don't know if the U.S. market is ready for it. Sure, it may kick the living shit out of the E320 for a about the same price... you get a standard Navi, AWD, 300hp (vs 221), heated seats, and a dickload of other goodies.

Put that (along with a MB-esque body) on a Corolla and you can charge twice the price. I know I'm exaggerating, but what a brand name can do in America is
Good post.
I'm quite aware of the electrical problems with Benz, my friend had a C320 that was lemon lawed because of them. Before my mother purchased her car, I told her to ask the dealer about the electrical issues, they assured her that was a thing of the past and those issues were resolved with the 04 models. Who knows? Only time will tell.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,343 Likes on 5,254 Posts
my friend would always complain about build issues on his '03 SL500. Gaps, suspension issues, he said he was shocked to find that many issues with an MB... he kept it for a few months and sold it for a 996 Turbo (that is now right around 600hp) - is quite happy with that.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:08 PM
The Acura Granddaddy

What I mean buy "build quality" is the how the doors feel when you close them, no rattles or squeaks while driving, the lack of wind noise at high speed and the level of overall fit and finish of the car. These are the types of things that separate contenders from pretenders. Therefore, I say the E Class IMO has much better build quality than any Acura I've ever driven. Like Gav said build quailty does not equate to reliability.

I can tell that, as you said, you have not seen, sat in, or driven the RL. The doors have an awesome, solid feel to them when they open and close. All the switchgear feels substantial and the car is the quietest I have ever ridden in. Between it's aerodynamic grace and it's Active Noise Cancellation you hear hardly a whisp at agressive freeway speeds. The motor is just about absent at even at 80mph.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Pinky all stinky

To be fair I have never driven the new RL or even sat in one for that matter but I just can't believe it could be better than an E Class Benz.
What you have to understand is that the new RL is a very important car for Acura..it's been 8 years since a new RL came out. Logic alone can tell you that they're not going to use the same standards that they used on the cheaper Acuras.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:00 PM
Instructor

"Although I agree with you, no it does not. Reliability and build quality are separate."

Sure, they're not the same, but I think that build quality has impact on the reliability of a car.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I need to get my dads 02 RL serviced so i can see this new one!

also my old TLS < my dads 02 RL in terms of build quality. The RL blows it away.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Image source: Autoweek

SEMA Tuner Special: Acura RL A-Spec - - by MARK VAUGHN - - Source: Autoweek

ACURA RL A-SPEC
ON SALE: Spring 2005
BASE PRICE: $54,470 (est.)
POWERTRAIN: 300-hp, 260-lb-ft 3.5-liter V6; awd, four-speed automatic
CURB WEIGHT: 4007.5 pounds
0 to 60 MPH: 6.5 seconds (est.)

It could be argued—and it was—that this is the most significant car introduced at SEMA this year. That’s quite an argument, considering all the cars shown at SEMA. But with the RL A-Spec, this once-pedestrian Acura can now be thrown in with the BMW M5, Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG, Cadillac CTS-V and a few other serious heavy hitters in the luxury performance sedan segment. Right?

Depends how you define “thrown in with.” The debut of the Acura RL A-Spec is a step toward bringing this once also-ran sedan into the realm of the great performance sedans from Europe and, lately, the United States. But does the RL A-Spec really mean Acura competes in that heady realm? Not quite, but it can compete in the realm next door.

See, the serious runners in that class all have beastly strong engine modifications to add to their suspension kits and bodywork. Acura could easily be a player in that segment, what with all its engineers and with the racing heritage of its Honda sibling. All it would need is an engine boost to go with the A-Spec suspension and body kit it was given.

But Acura is proud of its emissions and mileage achievements. As such, it doesn’t want to mess up a perfect attendance record in the EPA gold star club by dropping a V10 and rear-wheel drive into its flagship four-door, even in limited numbers.

Besides, the 300 hp and all-wheel drive that now come standard in the new RL are significant improvements, and are not to be dismissed. And they aren’t. They are to be celebrated, and we do. As you’ll recall, the new RL, entering showrooms about the time you read this, took a huge leap in the “cool” department with the 2005 model.

The new RL got a 75-hp boost, from 225 hp to 300, while still maintaining ULEV emissions standards. And while the engine is still “just a V6,” it now drives the rear wheels in addition to the front; not as big a handling improvement as straight rear-wheel drive, but another step in the right direction.

To all that, Acura’s in-house tuning arm, A-Spec, adds a sport suspension that lowers the car almost an inch, Michelin Pilot Sport 245/45YR summer tires mounted on 18-inch wheels, and a well-integrated aero kit with front air dam, side skirts, rear valance and a nicely manicured rear wing. The aero stuff has even spent quality time in Honda’s wind tunnel back in Japan.

For all of this we should be, and are, happy. It’s a step beyond even the improvements of the new model; it looks good and it should probably drive well once the RL A-Specs hit showrooms in the spring.

Yet still we whine.

Drop a lumpy boat cam into those cylinder banks, stroke those cylinders, advance the spark, do some of that chip tuning that covers all the old tuner tricks. You know: A-Spec. Even an ultra-simple cat-back exhaust and muffler trick, along with some sort of A-Spec version of a K&N filter, could have produced a token power and torque improvement for this new contender.

But no.

“It follows the evolution of the car,” said Stony Furutani, manager of accessory marketing for American Honda Motor Co. “Once the RL headed in that direction, this was the next logical step.”

Okay, no more complaining. The A-Spec gear can be bought separately. Aero stuff is not required to get the wheels and tires, and vice versa. Prices are not out, but expect the whole package to cost about the same as other A-Spec kits on the TL, TSX and RSX. This one should be about $5,000 complete.

Old 11-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
That car does not look good in silver. I don't know what happened between the concept and the production car but it was enough to make me dislike the result.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:40 AM
Work safe avatar bish :D

Originally Posted by charliemike
That car does not look good in silver. I don't know what happened between the concept and the production car but it was enough to make me dislike the result.

this car needs to be bought in black or blue only
Old 11-04-2004, 11:37 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Too heavy 4000 pounds is too much for only 300hp. I know the mags say it handles good but even with the new AWD I can't see how this car can be anything but a boat.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:47 AM
Banned

that car is ugly....dont like it at all, id take a TL any day of the week over that thing.....the headlights are awful, as are the tail lights....the A-Spec bumpers look like crap and like an afterthough...just nasty......aside from the new AWD system, i think the RL is a huge dissapointment...the TL really came out beautiful and if the TL had the AWD system, it should be the flagship of acura, for sure because the RL is just a lame let down.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:29 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Jim:
Keep in mind that the TL/CL/Accord are designed by Americans in America ! The RL was designed by conservative Japan counterparts in Japan ! Your correct, as I'm NOT that impressed with the new RL either.

300 HP is a start. Honda always starts with less so there is room for increasing once the DEMAND is there ! Think about it, they allowed the US Honda folks to design the new 2001 CL Type S, which in the eyes of the conservative Japanese counterpart in Japan, killed the car because it didn't meet the demand or profits it needed to stay alive. The last true Japanese reliable car was the 8 year production run of the RL. I bought it for that reason, it is reliable, but yes rather boring in design, but ROCK SOLID ! It was the LAST of the 90's technology from the LEGEND ! When I showed pictures of the engine bay, ShawnS was floored as to how it was almost EXACT to his previous Legend of year ago !
Old 11-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Safety Car

The cl and accord are as bland as they come. The new TL mimics the euro/jdm accord's design which is pretty sharp. Think Acuras biggest mistake was going with something else instead of continuing that theme although sales are already up.

Buying a previous gen RL for reliability only seems a little extreme, plenty of newer vehicles that fit that bill.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:50 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Heyitsme:
I only buy Acura/Honda's since 1984 to present. FABSVIX backwards stands for: Black Acura Freak !
Old 11-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by heyitsme
Think Acuras biggest mistake was going with something else instead of continuing that theme although sales are already up.
It doesn't look particularly bad, but imagine what it could look like with the more angular, tapered headlights, instead of the pseudo-bulbous Infiniti I35 thing it's got going on. And also the grille, while nice, would look better if it looked like the JDM Legend's, cause that falls in line with the TL's grille look.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:36 AM
goldmemberererer

Atleast they didn't have to make bigger exhaust tips for the A-SPEC version

Old 11-05-2004, 10:07 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Too heavy 4000 pounds is too much for only 300hp. I know the mags say it handles good but even with the new AWD I can't see how this car can be anything but a boat.
Yeap. 4000 pounds, plus auto tranny, plus AWD. Suddenly it's like having a manual tranny, FWD car, with 245HP.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Acura RL - No longer chasing Lexus, the Acura RL steers a new, twistier course. - - BY AARON ROBINSON - - PHOTOGRAPHY BY JEFFREY G. RUSSELL - - Source: CarandDriver.com December 2004

Highs: A friskier look and feel, as quiet as church, the ultimate AWD system, a nav system designed for techno-boobs.

Lows: Expensive, smallish interior, not so quick.

The Verdict: The senior Acura no longer feels like a senior citizen.

ACURA RL SH-AWD
Vehicle type: front-engine, 4-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan

Price as tested: $49,470

Price and option breakdown: base Acura RL SH-AWD (includes $570 freight), $49,470

Major standard accessories: power windows, seats, locks, and sunroof; remote locking; A/C; cruise control; tilting and telescoping steering wheel; rear defroster

Sound system: Acura AM-FM-XM satellite radio/CD-DVD changer, 10 speakers

ENGINE
Type: V-6, aluminum block and heads
Bore x stroke: 3.50 x 3.66 in, 89.0 x 93.0 mm
Displacement: 212 cu in, 3471cc
Compression ratio: 11.0:1
Fuel-delivery system: port injection
Valve gear: belt-driven single overhead cams, 4 valves per cylinder, hydraulic lifters, variable intake-valve timing and lift
Power (SAE net): 300 bhp @ 6200 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 260 lb-ft @ 5000 rpm
Redline: 6800 rpm

DRIVETRAIN
Transmission: 5-speed automatic with manumatic shifting
Final-drive ratio: 4.60:1
4-wheel-drive system: full-time with computer-controlled rear-axle management
Gear, Ratio, Mph/1000 rpm, Max test speed
I, 2.70, 6.2, 42 mph (6800 rpm)
II, 1.57, 10.6, 72 mph (6800 rpm)
III, 1.07, 15.6, 106 mph (6800 rpm)
IV, 0.69, 24.1, 134 mph (6800 rpm)
V, 0.48, 34.7, 134 mph (3850 rpm)

DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase: 110.2 in
Track, front/rear: 62.0/62.4 in
Length/width/height: 193.6/72.7/57.2 in
Ground clearance: 5.7 in
Drag area, Cd (0.29) x frontal area (25.9 sq ft, est): 7.5 sq ft
Curb weight: 4030 lb
Weight distribution, F/R: 58.1/41.9%
Curb weight per horsepower: 13.4 lb
Fuel capacity: 19.4 gal

CHASSIS/BODY
Type: unit construction with 2 rubber-isolated body crossmembers
Body material: welded steel and aluminum stampings

INTERIOR
SAE volume, front seat: 55 cu ft
rear seat: 44 cu ft
luggage: 13 cu ft
Front-seat adjustments: fore-and-aft, seatback angle, lumbar support; driver only: front height, rear height
Restraint systems, front: manual 3-point belts; driver and passenger front, side, and curtain airbags
rear: manual 3-point belts, curtain airbags

SUSPENSION
Front: ind, unequal-length control arms, coil springs, anti-roll bar
Rear: ind; 1 control arm, 2 lateral links, and 1 toe-control link per side; coil springs; anti-roll bar

STEERING
Type: rack-and-pinion with variable hydraulic power assist
Steering ratio: 16.2:1
Turns lock-to-lock: .3.0
Turning circle curb-to-curb: 39.7 ft

BRAKES
Type: hydraulic with vacuum power assist and
anti-lock control
Front:12.6 x 1.1-in vented disc
Rear:12.2 x 0.9-in vented disc

WHEELS AND TIRES
Wheel size/type: 8.0 x 17 in/cast aluminum
Tires: Michelin Pilot HX MXM4, P245/50R-17 98V M+S
Test inflation pressures, F/R: 32/30 psi
Spare: high-pressure compact on aluminum wheel

C/D TEST RESULTS
ACCELERATION Seconds
Zero to 30 mph 2.4
40 mph: 3.5
50 mph: 5.1
60 mph: 6.7
70 mph: 8.6
80 mph: 11.3
90 mph: 14.1
100 mph: 17.1
110 mph: 21.8
120 mph: 29.3
130 mph: 40.2
Street start, 5-60 mph: 7.8
Top-gear acceleration, 30-50 mph: 4.4
50-70 mph: 5.4
Standing 1/4-mile: 15.2 sec @ 94 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 134 mph

BRAKING
70-0 mph: @ impending lockup 180 ft

HANDLING
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.87 g
Understeer: minimal moderate excessive

FUEL ECONOMY
EPA city driving: 18 mpg
EPA highway driving: 26 mpg
C/D-observed: 19 mpg

INTERIOR SOUND LEVEL
Idle: 39 dBA
Full-throttle acceleration: 70 dBA
70-mph cruising: 67 dBA
Old 11-17-2004, 12:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts
15.2 @ 94??
Old 11-17-2004, 12:58 AM
I SMELL NAWZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those times are very very dissapointing
Old 11-17-2004, 01:58 AM
Advanced

in person I didn't like it at all. I will go with TL or TSX they looks better. But this is America, there are people who came from Asia buy only this RL....

My self from asia too

Quick Reply: Acura: RLX News