Acura: NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura has always gone with more conservative designs. Makes me wonder if they are waiting for Lexus to make its move before Acura drops its own. Honda doesn't have the money to risk like Toyota does. I think they know they have to do something, but I don't think they know what to do yet.

I personally think if they would have just released somthing 2 years ago they would be in a world of better situation then they are in right now. Competing with the LF-A isn't going to be good for them as long as Lexus has the nameplate upper hand. Fact is even if the new "NSX" is well beyond the LS-As capabilities I still think people will buy the Lexus.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aesir11
Acura has always gone with more conservative designs. Makes me wonder if they are waiting for Lexus to make its move before Acura drops its own. Honda doesn't have the money to risk like Toyota does. I think they know they have to do something, but I don't think they know what to do yet.

I personally think if they would have just released somthing 2 years ago they would be in a world of better situation then they are in right now. Competing with the LF-A isn't going to be good for them as long as Lexus has the nameplate upper hand. Fact is even if the new "NSX" is well beyond the LS-As capabilities I still think people will buy the Lexus.
I htink people buying cars at this level ($100k+) are more concerned how "outrageous" people think they are more than what badge is on it, and going to a more conservative design is a bad move. A car this expensive NEEDS to look this expensive.

I don't think it has anything about having money or not. If they didn't have money to "risk", then they would have made a good design like they did with the HSC and go on to develop and produce it. It costs them more to just drop it and then develop another model, and I think they are well aware of the costs just for the sake of being more "conservative"...in a segment where "CONservative" is a disadvantage.

Maybe it was a compromise between those that wanted a V10 and those that wanted to make it conservative..."We'll give you a V10 if you tone it down a bit!"

I'm hoping it is to gauge reaction and that the HSC is still an option, and they'll select the design that gets better reaction. THis car is nice, but the HSC was so much sexier.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
I htink people buying cars at this level ($100k+) are more concerned how "outrageous" people think they are more than what badge is on it, and going to a more conservative design is a bad move. A car this expensive NEEDS to look this expensive.

I don't think it has anything about having money or not. If they didn't have money to "risk", then they would have made a good design like they did with the HSC and go on to develop and produce it. It costs them more to just drop it and then develop another model, and I think they are well aware of the costs just for the sake of being more "conservative"...in a segment where "CONservative" is a disadvantage.

Maybe it was a compromise between those that wanted a V10 and those that wanted to make it conservative..."We'll give you a V10 if you tone it down a bit!"

I'm hoping it is to gauge reaction and that the HSC is still an option, and they'll select the design that gets better reaction. THis car is nice, but the HSC was so much sexier.
Compare the pics of this next to the LF-A its not that much more conservative.

As far as outrageous versus badge goes, there's no reason Ferrari should be outselling Lamborghini if the badge didn't matter since Lambo has always pushed the design envelope past Ferrari.

Let me clarify you have people that buy the Aston Martin Vanquish, which is far more conservative than a Lamborghini Murcielago, but in the same price range. Why didn't they buy the more outrageously styled vehicle. Because those are two totally different cars for two totally different people. This car is chasing after the DB9/Vanquish consumer not the Murcielago/Carrera GT crowd.

Also as far as development costs goes. Yeah its costing them a ton of money up front to develop this car especially with the total reworking from the HSC; however, if they're trying to set the stage for a product line that is going to be carried forward through the generation they are better off getting it right the first time and building a following then dropping a one time success. Think Bugatti Veyron. In all its magesty that car won't make VW a dime.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by runnerX
Do you know BMW Z4, X5, and other BMW models are based on the sketches done by the USA design team in CA?
Yea and they look like
Old 01-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Undercover Slacker

i think one of the reasons they didn't go with the HSC is because of the separation of acura/honda r&d and the opening of the new design center. they wanted to make a car that was designed and built in America, giving it an image of "hey, this is an acura design not a rebadged honda design."
Old 01-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dalieu
i think one of the reasons they didn't go with the HSC is because of the separation of acura/honda r&d and the opening of the new design center. they wanted to make a car that was designed and built in America, giving it an image of "hey, this is an acura design not a rebadged honda design."
if that's true, then i think it was a stupid reason to do so.

whether designed in Europe, Japan, America, Africa, Mexico, who cares? A good design is a good design, no matter where it originated from.

Designing and building a car "in America" doesn't make it any better. If that was the case, then the Accord's design would be one of the best out there.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Yea and they look like

really? I always thought my Z4 is one of the prettiest car in the world.. the new 3 series also look really nice..

never the less.. I still think Z4, X5, 3 series, 5 series, and 6 series are sexy....

Old 01-12-2007, 08:03 PM
werd

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I think the Z4M is a great looking car
Old 01-12-2007, 11:10 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
whether designed in Europe, Japan, America, Africa, Mexico, who cares? A good design is a good design, no matter where it originated from.

HSC>*
Old 01-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yea and they look like
Sorry guys, I'm going to have to agree. I think the Bangle-ish designs are horrendous. He took sporty, powerful, stately, luxurious looking cars and ruined them. With some of them I almost thing he bypassed the sketching stage and went right to the modeling stage...they took a crap on the modeling table and called it a Z4.

Last edited by AcuraFan; 01-13-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Undercover Slacker

if that's true, then i think it was a stupid reason to do so.

Designing and building a car "in America" doesn't make it any better. If that was the case, then the Accord's design would be one of the best out there.
i totally agree with you, where the car is designed and built shouldn't matter. but i do think that the opening of the new design center has at least a little bit of why they designed a new car and called it the nsx's replacement.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:03 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
This thing looks ALOT better in person than it does in pics.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dom
This thing looks ALOT better in person than it does in pics.
You saw the new Acura concept in person?
Old 02-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 Acura NSX!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys just saw this info about the 08 NSX with some pics and just wanted to see what you guys thought about it. To me this car will be taking Acura in a new direction for resurrection!!!!!

Link:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2007/01/...s-car-concept/
Old 02-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,947 Likes on 14,061 Posts

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=nsx%2A
Old 02-12-2007, 04:29 PM
101 years of heartache...

Old 02-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Old 02-12-2007, 06:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Old 02-12-2007, 06:58 PM
how handsome I am

x infinity
Old 02-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
We should start tallying how many times that pic gets posted.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:35 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by aesir11
You saw the new Acura concept in person?

at the Detroit show.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:14 AM
Race Director

Gavrill is our "rumor and news" guru
Old 02-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
$60k for a loaded Z4M seems a bit excessive but compared to a Boxster S I'm sure it's a bargain.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:35 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

http://www.autospies.com/news/Report...the-NSX-12797/

Tags: Acura, NSX, Advanced Sports Car Concept

When Acura unveiled the new Advanced Sports Car Concept at the Detroit Auto Show, everyone went crazy saying that the car “dynamically styled concept which provides a preview of the design direction for the successor to the Acura NSX.” While it’s being said that Acura would unveil a full blown NSX concept with a V10 engine at the upcoming Tokyo Show in October, don’t hold your breath just yet.

A source familiar with the Tokyo Show car has told WindingRoad that the concept won’t be for real and that Acura has completely ripped the whole Advanced Sports Car Concept script and will start from scratch since top Honda management isn’t happy with where the car is headed.

Unfortunately, the source reported that the front-engine V10 and all-wheel-drive will stay on board.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
Another similar story

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=663141

There's been a discussion going on all day about this in our forums, but we figured we should probably pop this out to the front page of the rumors and news section because it's yet another twist on the next-gen NSX saga. You may recall that Honda introduced the sexy HSC Concept at the 2003 Tokyo Motor Show (coincidentally featured in today's Bonus Wallpaper ), promising that it provided a really good look at the next generation NSX. We loved everything about it but we were a little concerned that Honda's key bragging point for the HSC was a "300+hp" V6 powerplant. We knew that wouldn't fly.

Trailing the HSC's subsequent appearance at the '04 North American International Auto Show was an uncomfortably long period of silence, and before the year was even out came the sad word that the HSC project was scrapped. Honda tried to smooth things over by promising a V10 powerplant for the next-generation supercar, and certainly that was something exciting to ponder, but as Acura began setting the stage for its innovative SH-AWD system, we became increasingly concerned that the NSX's spirit and purity would be compromised by the additional mass of an AWD system. Then scandalous nonsensical rumors began to surface hinting that the next "supercar" would be more of a GT, with an FR layout. Our sense of denial went into hyperdrive. Then, last month in Detroit, we were introduced to the Advanced Sports Car Concept. The moment was bittersweet, because as much as we craved any morsel of information we could get regarding the followup to the legendary NSX, we couldn't wrap our minds around the fact that Acura was telling us that the next NSX really was going to be FR AND AWD.

Well, somehow the guys at windingroad.com caught wind that the ASCC design is going to be scrapped, and have even suggested that whatever will be shown in Tokyo this Fall won't be representative of what should be hitting the road in (hopefully) 2009.

Here's our take on it. The lukewarm response to the ASCC had very little to do with the design itself. Face the facts - there's only so much you can do with a big-motored FR sports car. Odds are really good that it's going to look thick. The problem is that most Honda fans want to see the NSX's strong heritage honored with a proper followup. That means that the next NSX should be mid-engined, rear wheel drive, as light as possible, and it should offer a world class power to weight ratio. Furthermore, the NSX (and S2000) should be treated by Honda as their sportscar franchises, with regular evolutionary updates to keep them competitive. If Acura wants to offer several versions of the NSX, with one packing all the SH-AWD goodness, then we're okay with that as long as there's a model that stays true to the original NSX formula.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The sole fact that Honda does not know what to do with the next gen. NSX is not a good sign in itself.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:02 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yet another story...

http://news.windingroad.com/countrie...drawing-board/

"Japan Report: Acura’s NSX Seen Headed Back To The Drawing Board?

When Acura showed the Advanced Sports Car Concept off at Detroit this January, the car drew a lot of wows, but insiders let it be known that the shiny showstand beauty was not for real.

How could it be, when the concept was an engineless, interiorless fiberglass mock-up with blacked-out windows? Wait for the Tokyo Show in October, went the word, when Honda/Acura would show an updated version, much closer to what will appear in the showrooms around 2009, complete with promised V-10 engine.

Now comes word from a source familiar with the program that the Tokyo Show car won’t be for real, either and that secretly, behind the scenes, Acura has completely torn up the whole script and started over. Honda’s top management isn’t happy with either car, so we hear, so it’s back to the drawing board, again, at least in terms of how the finished car will look, although the basic proportions and front-engined V-10 package and all-wheel drive layout will stay…
"
Old 02-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Jeezus Christ, update the current gen with a V-10 and it'll sell.

How hard is this? Nothing else looks like it and even the oldest NSXs still make me want one very badly.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:17 PM
To punish and enslave

I'm actually glad Honda/Acura scrapped the plans. That means they're doing more research and development to make the NSX hit the competitors even harder.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
The sole fact that Honda does not know what to do with the next gen. NSX is not a good sign in itself.

This is taking Far too long, and that may not be a good thing. (unless this is what honda has planed to keep people off their back and keep it more a secret)
Old 02-22-2007, 11:12 AM
how handsome I am

This is taking Far too long, and that may not be a good thing. (unless this is what honda has planed to keep people off their back and keep it more a secret)
Im confused but a little relieved at the same time. Let's see what else honda has up it's sleeve for the next NSX.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:17 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Take that ugliness back to the drawing board!!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 02:13 PM
101 years of heartache...

Good! I'm sure most of is hated that crap anyway.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
I've always wanted an NSX and I told myself I'd buy it for myself once I graduate Med School in 2010, and I was thrilled when I saw the Honda HSC Concept, but now I'm beginning to lose hope!
Old 02-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
Jeezus Christ, update the current gen with a V-10 and it'll sell.

How hard is this? Nothing else looks like it and even the oldest NSXs still make me want one very badly.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
they've only had the last 15 years to plan for the next gen NSX, and it looks like they are still a long ways away from having a follow up...

It just seems strange to me how acura can kill all their coupes and not have something designed to replace 'em
Old 02-22-2007, 06:38 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Crikey, Honda needs to get with the program. They seem to be looking for every way possible to blow the credibility earned with the original NSX.

C'mon already. Keep it simple stupid. Keep the all-alluminum chassis. Keep M/R. Keep it naturally aspirated. Don't over-engineer the electronic gizmos. Keep the lines clean. Make it sound as sweet and as tight as Aryton Senna stamped his approval on.

In my dreams it will have an 4.0 liter V-8 400hp/330lbft screamer and sub 100k pricetag. Build it right and I will buy one, period.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
the integra and rsx did so well. how can acura NOT support a 2 door market? i bet we will see something very soon, but not 'nsx' quality, just a filler, and then in 08 we will see the v-10.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Safety Car

Do we really need any outside ideas when a V10 is inserted within last years car...http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/da..._seats-med.jpg
Old 02-23-2007, 07:31 PM
luvs redheads!

Attention:

please read carefully....

Then read it again...

There will NOT be a next generation NSX. IF the next Acura supercar if you call it that(which i will) has been stated NOT to bring the NSX name to the table then why do i see the title as it sits???????????

The NSX was freaking awesome, I will buy one one day, I attend meets even though i dont own one....the fact remains that Acura wants to brings both its sportiness AND its luxury....so the fact is its going to be FE V10. Enough said.

ASK yourself this

If Acura sold a car that looked remotely as sexy as the Aston Martin DB9 with a AWD platform housing a aluminum V10 for $80-100k would you buy it?? Hell yeah.

there is your answer^^^

PS--Heyitsme.......That JDM recreation NSX has 700hp too...outta a v6.

Quick Reply: Acura: NSX News