Acura: NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 10:27 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
There's no such thing as honest dealership. How the hell do you think they make moneys?
Old 08-18-2015, 10:29 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Yumcha
So, what do we do in here for the next 6 months...?
A) circle jerk

B) complain about Honda

C) complain about Acura

D) continue to be disappointed by Acura

E) by an RLX-SH and forget about the NSX altogether
Old 08-18-2015, 10:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
honda stealership lol, you really need to try lexus, bmw, mercedes service if you think honda service is stealing. those guys try to get away with murder.
Dont know about others. BMW has 4 years 50k miles complimentary maintenance and warranty.

As far as i am concerned, they are "free"

After 4 years/50k miles? not relevant to me.
You deserve to be ripped off if you still go to the dealership for service after 50k miles.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:57 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by knight rider
The only thing missing from that video are arms up the rear ends of these fellows. That was a very dry cue card reading. Not confidence inspiring. Acura should have picked someone that ACTUALLY knows the new NSX and is passionate about it, and can speak to it without reading a teleprompter.
That was hard to watch. Boring. Didn't seem like they wanted to be there. And what's with the hands? Seems so unnatural to me.

It would have been more entertaining to have watched Steve Ballmer introduce the NSX

Old 08-18-2015, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
[QUOTE=AZuser;15527547]That was hard to watch. Boring. Didn't seem like they wanted to be there. And what's with the hands? Seems so unnatural to me.

I think they were trying to make an upside down Acura logo.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:19 AM
Team Owner

ohh upside down A logo.... memories from high school...
Old 08-18-2015, 11:37 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Acura NSX will use Cosworth block, plus other neat tidbits

Acura is pretty proud of the fact that NSX version 2.0 was designed and is being built in the US. The new assembly line, called the Performance Manufacturing Center, is in Honda's hometown of Marysville, Ohio. While the line is brand new, the building has seen many uses over its lifetime, most recently as a warehouse facility. PMC staff numbers about 100, with 60 technical and 40 non-technical associates.
The car uses parts sourced globally, and one of those sources is Cosworth. The engine blocks and heads come from the English firm and get assembled into twin-turbo powerhouses at Honda's nearby Anna, Ohio, engine plant. The Cosworth name is rarely associated with a bad engine, so we were geeked to hear the NSX's 550-plus-horsepower hybrid powertrain has good genes.
Acura hasn't decided how many cars will come to the US each year, but supplies will be limited. We're told there is a total figure for global sales – basically anywhere Honda and Acura vehicles are sold – but they're not ready to divulge that number. Dealer allocation is also yet to be sorted out, although we're told that any dealer that has the necessary tools and equipment to service the new NSX will be able to sell them. Acura currently has 272 US dealers.
The switch from the transverse engine originally planned to a longitudinal twin-turbo engine threw everyone involved for a loop. The designers had to lengthen their nearly finalized design, and the engineers working on the production process had to revise or redo much of their work. Though we've been waiting a while for the car since the concept first surfaced in 2012, it's pretty amazing to think that the car was engineered one and a half times and a new factory was built in about three years. But yeah, it's delayed, with series production now set to commence in the spring of 2016.
One result of the switch to a longitudinal engine is a transmission hump in the cargo area aft of the engine. The hold is still sized to fit a bag of golf clubs, though it will be a tight fit.

The designers used some black paint and trompe l'oeil trickery to lighten the look of the side mirrors. The top half of the mirror and half of the arm are painted body color, while the rest is done in gloss black to create the effect of a more delicate assembly. It works, except on the black car; although that one also uses the two different finishes, the difference isn't really noticeable.
Acura is throwing away its simplified ordering system for the new NSX. While customers shopping for an MDX simply need to choose a trim level and a paint/interior combo, the NSX buyer will get to make lots of decisions to craft a custom order. Choices will include paint, interior hues, several wheel styles and finishes, and additional carbon-fiber parts and trim; the standard car will have an aluminum roof, while a carbon piece can be spec'd, and available carbon dress-up pieces will include side sills, a rear diffuser, and an engine dress-up kit.
The newly announced blue paint, called Nouvelle Blue Pearl, like the red used on the 2015 show car, uses a fancy multi-layer paint process from PPG that does a nice job of highlighting the surfacing and creases in the car's body. It gave the production engineers a headache, however, since it takes about 16 hours to cure versus regular paint's two-hour wait time. Not surprisingly, it will be an extra-cost option.
This new NSX is exponentially more complicated than the original. It will use something like 47 different computers to control the various electronics and powertrain systems.
After three years of waiting, we're pretty amped to get behind the wheel. Acura tells us blue car #6 will be one of those available for press drives later this year.
Interesting. I wonder if those are Honda designed parts...
The following 2 users liked this post by dom:
Legend2TL (08-18-2015), srika (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 12:30 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
The center console area looks very generic for some reason.. is it just me?
Old 08-18-2015, 12:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,267 Likes on 5,222 Posts
looking at it closely, it does have a 1970's Boeing kind of feel
Old 08-18-2015, 01:15 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,956 Likes on 3,926 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
That probably wasn't worthy of the NSX nameplate. When the 1G NSX was launched, it was an exotic that made Ferrari and Porsche went back to the drawing board. It made the world rethink what an exotic car should be like. It was not in the mould of a luxury GT coupe like the SL500, or ultra high performance coupe, like the M3. The NSX was a purebred exotic.

My understanding is that fter launching this 2G NSX, there's supposed to be a Type R version that is substantially more expensive with even higher performance. This NSX is just the beginning.

Another rumour, and I think some of us have seen renderings already, is that there's supposed to be a baby NSX. That car is probably similar to what you described above, probably with a bit less power, in the 350-400hp range. That's supposed to be in the 50-60k range.
The 1G NSX was competing with Ferrari at a MUCH lower price point than where they're at today.

The rest doesn't matter because this car doesn't really exist anyway.

Originally Posted by TacoBello
So what the fuck was the the NSX powered by when they revealed the car back in January? It sounded badass, but if what Ikeda is saying is true, there apparently wasn't even a fucking engine in that car. Probably just a few speakers on the outside playing Ferrari engine sounds

Also, what the fuck has been propelling the cars across the US? This whole situation smells like a massive pile of shit. There's more deception here than from all federal governments put together from around the world
fucking this. All it was is Pinochio saying he's a real boy (including the long fucking nose) when he's just a mock up of the real thing.

If you’ve been eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new NSX supercar, be prepared to wait a little longer. Acura has confirmed that production of its hybrid supercar has been pushed back until the spring of 2016, with the main cause of the delay being the decision to switch the layout of the V-6 engine and add turbochargers.

Production was originally slated to start this fall, with the first cars due in showrooms early next year. Acura isn’t saying when sales will actually start, though the automaker has confirmed that the new NSX will arrive as a 2017 model. Pricing is expected to fall around the $150k mark, which is pretty much in line with pricing of rivals such as the Audi R8 V10 and BMW i8.

The latest delay is sure to ire fans that have been waiting almost a decade for the car. Recall that Acura originally confirmed plans for a new NSX back in 2007. However, the original design, which called for a front-mounted V-10, was dropped following the global financial crisis. Plans for a mid-engine, hybrid NSX was devised shortly after and in 2012 we saw a concept of the car. At the time, the production version was said to be coming in three years, but now it looks like the wait will end up being considerably longer.

Compared to its rivals, the new NSX is unique in that it will combine a twin-turbocharged V-6 engine with a nine-speed dual-clutch transmission and trio of electric motors, a setup Acura says will provide “on-the-rails-cornering” performance and a peak output somewhere close to 550 horsepower. To cut down on weight, some carbon fiber will be used in the construction, for example for the roof, engine cover and even the brake rotors.

There will still be plenty of luxuries, with Acura confirming some of the features during this past weekend’s Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. Some of the niceties will include leather and Alcantara trim, a nine-speaker premium audio system from ELS, a navigation system, SiriusXM satellite radio, and parking sensors.
The fcuk? Usually when you start designing a car, you know the answers to these questions beforehand. You don't get 6 months away from production start to say "oh shit, we should probably turn the engine around (and therefore change the entire drivetrain) and add some turbos for good measure. Don't worry no one will ever know and it'll only take 6 months."

We'll see this car for the 2020 model year.

I wonder who'll be the first to swap a Nexus 7 tablet in
It looks like there's one already in there, no need to swap.

Originally Posted by AZuser
That was hard to watch. Boring. Didn't seem like they wanted to be there. And what's with the hands? Seems so unnatural to me.
Illuminati.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:21 PM
Team Owner

are we going to see the same NSX on TV during the next year's Superbowl?
Old 08-18-2015, 01:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom

love Cosworth

also I don't recall seeing all of these details in here:

Official release from Acura Media Newsroom:

Aug 14, 2015 – CARMEL-BY-THE-SEA, Calif.

The next-generation Acura NSX is produced at the new, dedicated Performance Manufacturing Center (PMC) in Marysville, Ohio, using domestic and globally sourced parts. With trial production already underway and production start-up scheduled for spring 2016, this world-class manufacturing facility employs groundbreaking techniques in weld, body construction, body painting, final assembly and quality confirmation to ensure the highest levels of precision and craftsmanship.

More details on the unique and innovative manufacturing processes at the PMC will be rolled out over the months leading up to the start of production, but the following highlights of the new facility were shared during the 2015 Monterey Automotive Week:

Innovative blend of people and technology: throughout the PMC, NSX production is centered around the skills of approximately 100 experienced engineers and technicians building the NSX to precise levels of quality and craftsmanship.
All-glass quality confirmation center: A total quality approach to production is evident not only in the mindset of every PMC technician, but in the very design of the facility, with an all-glass quality confirmation center located in the middle of the manufacturing floor. This allows for technicians from every department to monitor all aspects of a vehicle as it moves through the entire production process.

World’s first weld technology: the world’s first use of all robotic MIG welding employs eight robots to apply approximately 900 MIG welds. This surgical welding process results in a space frame that is incredibly precise, in addition to being ultra rigid and lightweight.

Craftsmanship: hand craftsmanship complements high tech robotic processes throughout the assembly of the NSX:
Every bolt on the NSX is hand started by a PMC technician
Exterior body panels are installed manually at the end of assembly and from the inside out to ensure 100 percent symmetrical side-to-side fitment
Lasers are used to find door hem edges, fenders and door gaps in order to install all exterior panels without requiring adjustments

Master engine builders: the NSX’s 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged V-6 engine with dry sump is hand assembled by master builders at the nearby Anna, Ohio engine plant. Each engine takes over six hours to complete and is machine balanced.
Each NSX power unit — engine, 9-speed dual clutch transmission with direct-drive electric motor, and front Twin Motor Unit – is bench-tested and broken-in (the engine to the equivalent of 150 driving miles) to ensure that every NSX is track-ready upon customer delivery

The engine build process was benchmarked against some of the company’s race engine programs to ensure the highest possible quality and performance standards were achieved
Old 08-18-2015, 01:44 PM
I drive a Subata.

Cosworth = overpriced parts for the consumers

I'm sure it's better with the corporate partnership though!
Old 08-18-2015, 02:27 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
are we going to see the same NSX on TV during the next year's Superbowl?
That was a squandered opportunity. When the Genesis Sedan commercial was released for the first SB, I remember everyone being in awe. "That's a Hyundai?!?!"

I think the Genesis has and will do more for its respective brand than the 2G NSX will. But at least Acura is trying.

Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
Cosworth = overpriced parts for the consumers

I'm sure it's better with the corporate partnership though!
Cosworth is a brilliant engineering company though. I have no doubt that the engine will be impressive.

I already know what you're referring to though, lol. For the GT86 platform, Nameless Performance is excellent though overpriced, especially when you combine that with the fact that their parts have the Cosworth name on them as well.
The following users liked this post:
JS + XES (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 02:33 PM

Received 16,262 Likes on 11,972 Posts
so HMC isnt building the motor?
Old 08-18-2015, 02:39 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Costco
That was a squandered opportunity. When the Genesis Sedan commercial was released for the first SB, I remember everyone being in awe. "That's a Hyundai?!?!"

I think the Genesis has and will do more for its respective brand than the 2G NSX will. But at least Acura is trying.

Cosworth is a brilliant engineering company though. I have no doubt that the engine will be impressive.

I already know what you're referring to though, lol. For the GT86 platform, Nameless Performance is excellent though overpriced, especially when you combine that with the fact that their parts have the Cosworth name on them as well.
I think other than this forum, no one really cared about the NSX commercial. or even noticed it.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:21 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I think other than this forum, no one really cared about the NSX commercial. or even noticed it.
They did, they probably just forgot about it by now. I think only enthusiasts would remember it.

I get that things don't work out. But they brought on Seinfeld and had the most prime slot for TV exposure... that was 3 years ago, and for what?
Old 08-18-2015, 06:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
I don't even remember the commercial.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:44 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
The center console area looks very generic for some reason.. is it just me?

You just couldn't let it go, so you had to bump the thread. :
Old 08-18-2015, 06:46 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
You just couldn't let it go, so you had to bump the thread. :
Huh??
Old 08-18-2015, 06:47 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Flipster23
I don't even remember the commercial.
I dont either.

But i do remember the horses became RLX and TLX.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:47 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by Costco

I think we just crowdsourced Acura's newest marketing tagline:

Acura, at least we're trying

Old 08-18-2015, 06:51 PM
I feel the need...

I call on anyone claiming to have a deposit on an NSX. Dealers haven't announced squadoooooooosh.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:53 PM
Team Owner

Call what you want.

Sierra Acura has taken 3...

Guess how much the deposit was.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:55 PM
I feel the need...

There's no such thing as honest dealership. How the hell do you think they make moneys?
Because we all know running an auto dealership has zero overhead.

Unless you are lucky enough to have an exclusive Ferrari dealership, then you simply hit control-P.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:56 PM
I feel the need...

Three shekels and a fistful of
Old 08-18-2015, 07:25 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
I call on anyone claiming to have a deposit on an NSX. Dealers haven't announced squadoooooooosh.
Not , sorry.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:50 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
so HMC isnt building the motor?
The engine block has to be super strong to withstand the enormous stress from using force induction.

Cosworth is especially experienced in manufacturing and tuning high power V6/V8 force-induction motors.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:36 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,956 Likes on 3,926 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
The engine block has to be super strong to withstand the enormous stress from using force induction.

Cosworth is especially experienced in manufacturing and tuning high power V6/V8 force-induction motors.
You'd think that an exceptionally large and successful engineering company that manufactures F1 motors, for example Honda, would be able to do the same.
justnspace (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
You'd think that an exceptionally large and successful engineering company that manufactures F1 motors, for example Honda, would be able to do the same.
LOL. exactly why I included Honda's full name.
Honda Motor Co.

this tells us they cant build what they are needing.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:11 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS

You act like cosworth is the only company who can successfully build a turbo engine

I hate to say it, but if an auto manufacturer can't build a reliable turbo engine, they likely shouldn't be building cars. This isn't 1980 anymore. Who isn't building turbo engines these days?

Although Honda hasn't released many turbo engines, it's not rocket science for a billion dollar company. I'm sure Honda has experimented with them plenty in their R&D centres. Soon enough a good portion of Hondas will be pushing boost.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Call what you want.

Sierra Acura has taken 3...

that's impossible. there's no specs!!!
Old 08-19-2015, 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,782 Likes on 13,971 Posts
call what you want.

Sierra acura has taken 3...

$34.50...?
Old 08-19-2015, 10:49 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,132 Likes on 2,568 Posts
Originally Posted by dom

Same here, was curious with the Cosworth manufacturing the heads and block. Reminds me of the C4 ZR1 motors designed by Lotus and manufactured by Mercury.

My guess is Honda designed the motor and Cosworth was brought in to handle the manufacturing of heads and block perhaps for business/cost/SCM reasons it makes more sense to cast/machine the parts at Cosworth, then disrupt the Honda Ohio engine plant casting/machining of high volume motors.

Sometimes it's strange to see who builds what in their motors. McLaren manufacture their own pistons for their current cars yet Porsche use Mahle. And from 2006-07 The Honda Indy car motors were from Illmor (Mario Illien bought off part of the company he sold to MB) who put Honda's name on the valve cover, then Honda started to build their own motors starting in 2008.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 08-19-2015 at 10:59 AM.
justnspace (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 10:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
The deposit is $345,000
Old 08-19-2015, 10:54 AM

oh, i assumed that Cosworth would be designing and building said block and heads
Old 08-19-2015, 10:59 AM
Team Owner

Actually, Honda isn't doing anything with the block, head, or entire car for that matter.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:02 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
The 1G NSX was competing with Ferrari at a MUCH lower price point than where they're at today.

The rest doesn't matter because this car doesn't really exist anyway.
:
lol my post was in response to the issues raised, that's all
Old 08-19-2015, 02:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
More tidbits from here: Acura NSX Starting Production Next Spring, Arriving As 2017 Model

If you’ve been eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new NSX supercar, be prepared to wait a little longer. Acura has confirmed that production of its hybrid supercar has been pushed back until the spring of 2016, with the main cause of the delay being the decision to switch the layout of the V-6 engine and add turbochargers.

Production was originally slated to start this fall, with the first cars due in showrooms early next year. Acura isn’t saying when sales will actually start, though the automaker has confirmed that the new NSX will arrive as a 2017 model. Pricing is expected to fall around the $150k mark, which is pretty much in line with pricing of rivals such as the Audi R8 V10 and BMW i8.

The latest delay is sure to ire fans that have been waiting almost a decade for the car. Recall that Acura originally confirmed plans for a new NSX back in 2007. However, the original design, which called for a front-mounted V-10, was dropped following the global financial crisis. Plans for a mid-engine, hybrid NSX was devised shortly after and in 2012 we saw a concept of the car. At the time, the production version was said to be coming in three years, but now it looks like the wait will end up being considerably longer.

Compared to its rivals, the new NSX is unique in that it will combine a twin-turbocharged V-6 engine with a nine-speed dual-clutch transmission and trio of electric motors, a setup Acura says will provide “on-the-rails-cornering” performance and a peak output somewhere close to 550 horsepower. To cut down on weight, some carbon fiber will be used in the construction, for example for the roof, engine cover and even the brake rotors.

There will still be plenty of luxuries, with Acura confirming some of the features during this past weekend’s Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. Some of the niceties will include leather and Alcantara trim, a nine-speaker premium audio system from ELS, a navigation system, SiriusXM satellite radio, and parking sensors.
Sooo, let me get this straight. The car was slated to be released any day/week/month now and they essentially pull the plug on release to make a "MINOR" tweak

switch the layout of the V-6 engine and add turbochargers
This car is no closer to being released than Ferrari is to producing a Prius type vehicle. This thing will be canceled sometime this winter with HMC touting some lame ass excuse of rising gas prices, global warming, and godzilla coming and the public not wanting to buy vehicles of this caliber anymore.

Last edited by fsttyms1; 08-19-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
So a vehicle that will be primarily used on warm sunny summer days has heated seats, but not cooled?
The following 2 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
oonowindoo (08-19-2015), RPhilMan1 (08-20-2015)

Quick Reply: Acura: NSX News