Acura: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
see the Automobile Mag long term update than in less than six months the car is pretty much done with tires.
And your point would be what? One car uses different tires, one car is more fun to drive and driven harder during its test. I could wear the tires off the Acura in less than half a day of spirited driving. Acura must suck. (going by your logic then they do)
Old 10-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is not opinion. If TL-SH-AWD or Euro Accord Type S ever meet BMW in Europe it will be embrassment to whole RWD dogma.
TL/Euro Accord Type S will provide superior handling and ride on standard 18inch than any BMW.
How fucking stupid do you have to be?

The first article is talking about tires, and the TL has been critisized for its ride quality in many tests. I can provide those if your ass kissing (or is that Acura kissing?) self can't locate any.

The second article NEVER said that the suspension was wearing. The problem was the very low profile 19 inch wheel-tire combination.

The lie that no "standard" BMW can get over .9G in that test is also a complete, well, LIE.

.92 from a basic 328i. Care you revise your statement, fanboy?
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._sh-awd_page_2

Get a clue and stop lying. At 2:15 this reviewer complains about the ride in a 2009 TL AWD with the 18 inch wheels. Guess it's not a fact is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l29TOI7eYIs

Last edited by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName; 10-10-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
How fucking stupid do you have to be?

The first article is talking about tires, and the TL has been critisized for its ride quality in many tests. I can provide those if your ass kissing (or is that Acura kissing?) self can't locate any.

The second article NEVER said that the suspension was wearing. The problem was the very low profile 19 inch wheel-tire combination.

The lie that no "standard" BMW can get over .9G in that test is also a complete, well, LIE.

.92 from a basic 328i. Care you revise your statement, fanboy?
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._sh-awd_page_2

Get a clue and stop lying. At 2:15 this reviewer complains about the ride in a 2009 TL AWD with the 18 inch wheels. Guess it's not a fact is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l29TOI7eYIs
You dont have evidence that 328i not having Sport suspension. otherwise how tested price became $36,600 when it is was pretty strpped down?

It is not standard car. and you comparing it against standard TL-SH-AWD.
Second Honda has alot better Euro GT and Type S in EU. they are quieter, better comfort, tighter turning circle and better high speed fuel economy. not to mention higher ground clearance
BMW cant match it. I am not even going into 99% reliability ratings.

Acura has demonstrated of getting 0.92g on all Independent Magazine tests. not some one Magazine that awards 3 series most of the time.
Acura test results has alot more credibility. and all has been achieved on taller, wider and longer car.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
And your point would be what? One car uses different tires, one car is more fun to drive and driven harder during its test. I could wear the tires off the Acura in less than half a day of spirited driving. Acura must suck. (going by your logic then they do)
There is no evidence of new 5 serires more fun than TL-SH-AWD. every one is complaining about its electric steering, poor handling. TL also uses short life PS2. It has guaranted passed all first year rigours long term testing.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:01 PM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Old 10-10-2010, 11:08 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I quote an AZ member whose name escapes me right now.... but it's "like talking to a brick wall covered in bird shit"

Everyone else is gonna look at you funny and no matter what point you're trying to prove or how well you're explaining it, well....
Old 10-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
not to mention higher ground clearance
Old 10-10-2010, 11:39 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,856 Likes on 4,291 Posts
Originally Posted by knavinusa
I saw that too!

Seriously. Is this shit just going to go on forever with the South San Fran Treat?
Old 10-11-2010, 01:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
I quote an AZ member whose name escapes me right now.... but it's "like talking to a brick wall covered in bird shit"

Everyone else is gonna look at you funny and no matter what point you're trying to prove or how well you're explaining it, well....
Old 10-11-2010, 01:15 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
oh man here we go again...
Old 10-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You dont have evidence that 328i not having Sport suspension. otherwise how tested price became $36,600 when it is was pretty strpped down?

It is not standard car. and you comparing it against standard TL-SH-AWD.
Second Honda has alot better Euro GT and Type S in EU. they are quieter, better comfort, tighter turning circle and better high speed fuel economy. not to mention higher ground clearance
BMW cant match it. I am not even going into 99% reliability ratings.

Acura has demonstrated of getting 0.92g on all Independent Magazine tests. not some one Magazine that awards 3 series most of the time.
Acura test results has alot more credibility. and all has been achieved on taller, wider and longer car.
You've been drinking again haven't you?
Old 10-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator

There is no evidence of new 5 serires more fun than TL-SH-AWD. every one is complaining about its electric steering, poor handling. TL also uses short life PS2. It has guaranted passed all first year rigours long term testing.
Well since you are comparing the top of the line TL why not compare the M5 then. Because that is what you are doing, you are taking the top notch TL and trying to insert it into the Base model 5 series.

And NO tire can be guaranteed to last a full season. Tire life all depends on how its driven, like i said, i could wear the tires off the car in less than half a day. Fronts and Rears!
Old 10-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Safety Car

Well since you are comparing the top of the line TL why not compare the M5 then. Because that is what you are doing, you are taking the top notch TL and trying to insert it into the Base model 5 series.
There is no hypothetical M5 available and certainly no Type-S for TL either.
why do u think Type-S was created in EU when Euro GT was already there?
It is to give that extra level of handlling and comfort on bigger standard tires and much tighter turngin circle.
And NO tire can be guaranteed to last a full season. Tire life all depends on how its driven, like i said, i could wear the tires off the car in less than half a day. Fronts and Rears!
All these long term tests are pretty consistent for cars. Acura cars survive despite being AWD with Pilot Sport PS2 untill 25k miles.
your simply not admitting BMW failure. build & design quality is not upto the task.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

There is no hypothetical M5 available
What, so the M5 doesn't exist now?
Old 10-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by knavinusa
What, so the M5 doesn't exist now?
Yet that old out dated one exist. How many G it is pulling?. what great Slolam run it has?. It is competing against base TL-SH-AWD. not some Type S from Acura.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...2006-bmw-m5-m6

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

Acura is larger car, more comfortable and likely to outlast BMW.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by smarty666
You admit their lineup is limited but then say they do well with what they have. Their drop in sales over the last few years would incline to say differently. Superior resale, value, and reliability is not enough any more in this business when it comes to both Honda and Acura. Other companies are offering the same or very similar levels of all those areas. They need something more than that to make them stand out in the pack again.

I cannot find anything great about their conservative and behind-the-times attitude toward their line-up and its really beginning to get old. You can say what you want about Infiniti but them and other companies did not have the sales decline that Acura did and much better improvement in sales compared to Acura during the recovery.

I just can not believe how many people are complacent with the way Acura runs their business and line-up. I do not know what more Acura needs to get slapped in the face to wake up and make some changes and add more options to their line-up. The recession has been officially declared over, car sales have improved, now seems like the right time, not procrastinating and waiting for a few more years. RL is a great example of this. Now is the time to completely gut and make a proper luxury level flagship sedan for Acura.
They do well for what they have, the same lineup most complain about. You can be limited in a diverse lineup, preventing you from doing a lot more business, but it doesn't have to prevent you from doing well in the first place not to mention adding more costs more at the same time. Clearly the Acura and Honda trademarks are enough, there a few who would probably trade their designs, RWD platforms, and V8's for the sales Acura has and the greater level of profit margins they experience.

They may need more to attract another type of consumer but they specialize in their type of vehicles (FWD, torque vectoring variable AWD, and V6) and there is nothing wrong with that. Not everyone wants or even has the demographics for RWD, or wants the conventional AWD system, and V8's are such a low percentage it barely covers the R&D for itself.

That's why companies who offer these things often need to partner up to reduce those costs and/or they need massive volume to clear profits. Acura does not and they make their own major components, like engines, platforms, transmissions and they are not shared across outside brand lines or are outsourced by 3rd party suppliers and there is something to be said for that.

If you can't find anything positive in Acura's approach because you are looking for them and you don't understand the future benefits to companies who still set record profits in down times vs those who float.

You are strongly mistaken that other brands did not have the same type of decline. No, no brand has experienced the same exact decline but they are all down just starting to get back up again and one of the stronger ones on the up is Acura if you didn't notice. Acura's decline is line with everyone elses and that has much more to do with economic reasons than anythig else.

In 06 and 07, Acura had record years and were consistently ranked 5th as a luxury brand in total sales and had the 5th best selling sedan lineup, today they are still ranked 5th in both of those positions or 6th if you count Buick and the success of the LaCrosse and that is considering the loss of a popular RSX model.

People aren't necessarily complacent with the brand it's just that the things that people cry about are coming. It's rare for someone to be an over enthusiast only to buy one car for the next 10+ years. Generally people turn over cars every few years, so if Acura does not have something they want right now, I don't see what the big deal is, come back when and if they do if it matters that much otherwise I don't see how this is anyone's problem or why they should be so concerened about it. I am not complaining that MB does not offer cheaper FWD vehicles or vectoring AWD on anything. They all have their own philosophies and business practices and that is the best part.

We won't see a RWD line, not happening. A RWD sports car or coupe is possible but with SH as a highlight it's not necessary. A compact is coming, a coupe is on the drawing board, the wagon and 6AT are here, the toned down styling "process" starts in a few months, the TSX and TL are transitioning to other market positions, a full sized flagship is coming. What else is there to say?

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 10-11-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
They do well for what they have, the same lineup most complain about. You can be limited in a diverse lineup, preventing you from doing a lot more business, but it doesn't have to prevent you from doing well in the first place not to mention adding more costs more at the same time. Clearly the Acura and Honda trademarks are enough, there a few who would probably trade their designs, RWD platforms, and V8's for the sales Acura has and the greater level of profit margins they experience.

They may need more to attract another type of consumer but they specialize in their type of vehicles (FWD, torque vectoring variable AWD, and V6) and there is nothing wrong with that. Not everyone wants or even has the demographics for RWD, or wants the conventional AWD system, and V8's are such a low percentage it barely covers the R&D for itself.

That's why companies who offer these things often need to partner up to reduce those costs and/or they need massive volume to clear profits. Acura does not and they make their own major components, like engines, platforms, transmissions and they are not shared across outside brand lines or are outsourced by 3rd party suppliers and there is something to be said for that.

If you can't find anything positive in Acura's approach because you are looking for them and you don't understand the future benefits to companies who still set record profits in down times vs those who float.

You are strongly mistaken that other brands did not have the same type of decline. No, no brand has experienced the same exact decline but they are all down just starting to get back up again and one of the stronger ones on the up is Acura if you didn't notice. Acura's decline is line with everyone elses and that has much more to do with economic reasons than anythig else.

In 06 and 07, Acura had record years and were consistently ranked 5th as a luxury brand in total sales and had the 5th best selling sedan lineup, today they are still ranked 5th in both of those positions or 6th if you count Buick and the success of the LaCrosse and that is considering the loss of a popular RSX model.

People aren't necessarily complacent with the brand it's just that the things that people cry about are coming. It's rare for someone to be an over enthusiast only to buy one car for the next 10+ years. Generally people turn over cars every few years, so if Acura does not have something they want right now, I don't see what the big deal is, come back when and if they do if it matters that much otherwise I don't see how this is anyone's problem or why they should be so concerened about it. I am not complaining that MB does not offer cheaper FWD vehicles or vectoring AWD on anything. They all have their own philosophies and business practices and that is the best part.

We won't see a RWD line, not happening. A RWD sports car or coupe is possible but with SH as a highlight it's not necessary. A compact is coming, a coupe is on the drawing board, the wagon and 6AT are here, the toned down styling "process" starts in a few months, the TSX and TL are transitioning to other market positions, a full sized flagship is coming. What else is there to say?
Old 10-11-2010, 10:22 PM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by smarty666
Well said.

It seems ssftsx has a new mate.

I don't know what it is, but I just hate fanboy-ism.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:25 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
SSFTSX
This message is hidden because SSFTSX is on your ignore list.
SSFTSX
SSFTSX
SSFTSX
SSFTSX
SSFTSX
SSFTSX
SSFTSX
SSFTSX
SSFTSX
SSFTSX
SSFTSX
This message is hidden because SSFTSX is on your ignore list.SSFTSX
Old 10-11-2010, 10:26 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
stop fucking quoting him.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Yet that old out dated one exist. How many G it is pulling?. what great Slolam run it has?. It is competing against base TL-SH-AWD. not some Type S from Acura.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...2006-bmw-m5-m6

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

Acura is larger car, more comfortable and likely to outlast BMW.
The TL-SH-AWD IS NOT THE BASE TL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
stop fucking quoting him.
You just gotta ignore the rest of 'em too.

there are at least 3 other people I've put on iggy in the overall Auto News section just to avoid this shit.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Safety Car

The TL-SH-AWD IS NOT THE BASE TL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TL-SH-AWD is base TL. It does not have 8000rpm screaming engine nor dedicated sport suspenion. The ride is not hard enough for sport.
It is like comparing FWD RDX with SH-AWD RDX.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:59 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
LOL what? Why is there a Base TL and an SH-AWD model? Just because it lacks an 8k redline doesn't mean it's not the best TL Acura has unless there is something else hiding that I don't know about?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Senior Moderator

TL-SH-AWD is base TL. It does not have 8000rpm screaming engine nor dedicated sport suspenion. The ride is not hard enough for sport.
It is like comparing FWD RDX with SH-AWD RDX.
So then tell me Genius what is a TL with just FWD? Is that not a lower model than the SHAWD version?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Safety Car

TL-SH-AWD is not competitor to M/AMG/RS.
It competes with regular BMW/Audi that are equiped with sport suspension and surpass them for its size/refinement.
Civic Euro Type R is you can put it M/AMG/RS category in its class. Even Honda Civic SI can pull 0.9g. try to imagine G pulling power of Type R and add SH-AWD over top of that. Your looking car that competes against Audi R8 with size & refinement of Acura TL.

The sport suspension setup and road holding capabilities of the Civic Type R accentuates the handling and overall driving effect to a whole new level as the car doesn't body roll even a bit be it taking a corner at 160 km/h or making an emergency stop.

Last edited by SSFTSX; 10-12-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Safety Car

So then tell me Genius what is a TL with just FWD? Is that not a lower model than the SHAWD version?
Isnt 528 lower model than 535/550.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator

TL-SH-AWD is not competitor to M/AMG/RS.
It competes with regular BMW/Audi that are equiped with sport suspension and surpass them for its size/refinement.
Civic Euro Type R is you can put it M/AMG/RS category in its class. Even Honda Civic SI can pull 0.9g. try to imagine G pulling power of Type R and add SH-AWD over top of that. Your looking car that competes against Audi R8 with size & refinement of Acura TL.

]

Yea, and just like your example of comparing the TL SHAWD to a base 5 series, it isnt a competitor!
Old 10-12-2010, 11:22 AM
My first Avatar....

*sigh*

My head hurts from this.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Safety Car

Yea, and just like your example of comparing the TL SHAWD to a base 5 series, it isnt a competitor!
Base 5 series will be without Sport suspension and Sport tires.
Acura is essentially giving SH-AWD at price of Sport package of Germans. Thats why Acura is asking $3.5K price jump from regular TL FWD to TL SH-AWD on average.
Even FWD TL pulls more Gs than base 5 series.

All those M/RS/AMG model have atleast $25K jump from base cars. Similar is Civic Type R that is $30K more expensive than Civic SI.
IF Acura creates Type R of TL. It will be atleast $25K price jump.
Car in $60K~$65K price range. that will put $90K M5 to shame.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Your looking car that competes against Audi R8 with size & refinement of Acura TL.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
My Audi A4 Avant S-Line can pull 0.92 g, stock. It's by far the most superior car.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test
Old 10-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Safety Car

It has sport suspension and Quattro. but that beside the point. It is too low to the ground. TL-SH-AWD sits hight from the ground. Once Honda adds sport suspension and lowers the car. Handling numbers will further go up.
And this thing cost $48K.

plus a six-speed automatic and Quattro all-wheel drive. It also had the optional S-line package, which includes a sport suspension, 19-inch wheels with summer rubber, front sport seats, various interior trim upgrades, and S-line bumpers and rocker panel
Old 10-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
^^I can't, really, can't anymore read about this shit... sorry, but it's unbearable...
Old 10-12-2010, 12:57 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
The A4 is superior to the TL-SH-AWD because it sits lower to the ground. The aerodynamics are superior and this provides superior handling to the SH system. The weight distribution is also much better which again improves the handling. High ground clearance is the TL's Achilles heel.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:01 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i'm thinking some of you guys are dumber than ssftsx
Old 10-12-2010, 01:05 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I'm going to give this thread a few days rest.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,945 Likes on 14,060 Posts
Opinions, folks.

Remember, it is only an opinion...as much as you disagree with it passionately, it is still an opinion.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Post Update

Date: November 09, 2010 09:13
Submitted by: Jeff
Source: Anonymous
Credibility Rating: 7

A source has provided some new information concerning Acura news for the coming year.

As we reported back in July, the source confirms that the 2011 model year will be a very short run for the TL. The 2012 TL will reportedly go on sale "early next year". There are said to be no sheetmetal changes, but the metallic "tramp stamp" will reportedly disappear from the trunk lid. Also, as we already knew, the grill design has been revised. 19" wheels will be standard on a new Advance package which will also introduce Acura's BSI (Blind Spot Information System) and "other enhanced features". The source supports our earlier reports that Acura's 6-speed automatic will also become a part of the TL product mix.

The new entry level sub-TSX model is on track to be shown next year. The source says it will be offered with gasoline and hybrid powertrains. Also, and I quote: "We have been told it is very edgy and very affordable. 'Think aggressive IS350' we were told." We're not exactly sure what to make of that statement.

Now, we move on to the flagship. In discussions of the upcoming RL, there are said to be consistent comparisons to the 7-series, but it seems the comparisons have mostly been focused on rear leg room. Another source of ours supports this notion that rear seat room is a priority, saying the next RL will be something in the mold of the Mercedes CLS, "a 4-door coupe but with sufficient rear head and leg room for 6+footers". Superior fuel efficiency and new engine technology have been topics that keep coming up as well. Note that in a Q&A with Automotive News that was published yesterday, Honda CEO Takanobu Ito stated:
"We are also developing a hybrid system for larger-size vehicles with a goal to make it contribute not only to fuel economy but to the attractiveness of the products. The concept for this hybrid is significantly different."

When asked about Honda's plans for positioning the Honda brand, Ito stated:
We are having a lot of discussions about Acura and which way it should be going. And what we confirmed is that the brand direction should be smart premium, not top tier.

Among the technologies we have at Honda, we must apply those that symbolize our advanced performance technology and environmental technology. We call this "smart." We agreed that smart premium is what we should be targeting with Acura, not the upper-segment vehicles such as Lexus or Mercedes-Benz. We must apply advanced technologies which make our vehicle more fun to drive, achieve a more comfortable drive and high environmental performance.
One more item of interest from that same Q&A, Ito also mentions that Honda is considering shifting TSX production to the US. And finally, speaking of the TSX, the TSX Sportwagon will be in showrooms within the next 2 months. To be more specific, "late December-early January" is what we've been told.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TSX69
The new entry level sub-TSX model is on track to be shown next year. The source says it will be offered with gasoline and hybrid powertrains. Also, and I quote: "We have been told it is very edgy and very affordable. 'Think aggressive IS350' we were told." We're not exactly sure what to make of that statement.
I somehow doubt it'll be anywhere close to an IS350. The styling will probably be more aggressive, but I was under the impression the TSX was their entry level car. Why is this new car suddenly competing with the IS?

Quick Reply: Acura: Development and Technology News