Acura: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 12:30 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,150 Likes on 821 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Interestingly, having a V-8 RWD sedan does not make Hyundai a Tier 1 brand either. Obviously they have not stated this as a goal, but for all the ink it gets here.... Anyway, it is a combination of things that make a Tier 1 brand, product, dealers, customers, and yes paperwork.
Having a V8/RWD sedan doesn't automatic promote an auto brand to become a Tier-1 brand. The VW Phaeton even had a W12 engine, but failed miserably to elevate the VW brand, simply because VW is what it is - an economy brand.

However, not having a V8/RWD sedan almost guarantees that the brand will never become a Tier-1 brand, no matter how much the brand messes around with the dealers, customers, and paperwork.

I agree that it's a combination of things, but with the products being the utmost important element of all.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:37 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
In other words, long ago, they went mainstream and catered to the masses to turn a buck and left enthusiasts with nothing.

You're right though, the general public doesn't want a car that only comes in manual, but IMHO, it weeded out a lot of people that probably shouldn't have owned the car in the first place and sorta reflected the racing inspired image that Acura was trying to hold up at that time.
Do you realize that Honda is a publicly owned corporation, which means its primary goal is to increase shareholder value, not to placate message board enthusiasts? It's great when the both goals can be achieved simultaneously, but most of the time that's not possible.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Not just a smell

Damn, kinda quiet here... you can definitely notice the lack of the usual suspects who are temporarily banned

Anyways, ya, the teggy luvin' enthusiasts should get the message that Honda/Acura isn't listening to them and just move on. The never ending bitching, whining, criticising, expressed feelings of abandonment, etc. is just annoying.

I'm sure Acura will travel its own path to "tier 1" and I just hope that their definition of "tier 1" doesn't include the downmarket moves by Audi/BMW/MB (A3,1 series, A/B class). I could picture a billboard caption by Audi with the A3: "Your move Acura", which Honda would reply with the Civic: "Checkmate".
Old 05-01-2009, 12:46 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Is it possible that this 'enthusiast' image is what is held the brand back from moving higher up the luxury food chain?

Lacking product for many years that competed head to head with the other lux makes in terms of type of vehicle, powerplant, drivetrain, options....

Not to mention the change to very confusing letter designations, and the RSX in the line-up didn't help either.

<---picks up bat...beats dead horse.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

Lacking product for many years that competed head to head with the other lux makes in terms of type of vehicle, powerplant, drivetrain, options....
And yet you bought a CL, arguably the least competitive car in its segment.
Not to mention the change to very confusing letter designations, and the RSX in the line-up didn't help either.
The letters have been around for longer than names. People need to got over it. I'm not confused by the letters. Wait. Did you think you were getting a TL and ended up with a CL by mistake?
Old 05-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Pro

<---picks up bat...beats dead horse.
I'm wondering when you think Acura had a more competitive lineup than it does now. 1989? The past five years have probably been the most successful in Acura's history. Acura was never a Tier-1 manufacturer, yet many people seem to think that Acura is in a period of decadence after great success during the 1990s.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by JD23
Acura was never a Tier-1 manufacturer, yet many people seem to think that Acura is in a period of decadence after great success during the 1990s.
Nope, people just long for the days when Acura could do more with less. yeah the Integra was a shit box that should've never been an Acura, but it was far more engaging than the RSX as a sporty coupe. And it certainly didn't look like a Civic.

But no one's looking back at an Integra and saying "wow look at when Acura was Tier-1". Tier-1 and Acura's glory days are two different arguments.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by phile
But no one's looking back at an Integra and saying "wow look at when Acura was Tier-1". Tier-1 and Acura's glory days are two different arguments.
I think that sometimes nostalgia clouds one's memory. Acura's vehicles are more upscale and are more differentiated from Honda's than at any other time during the past 15 years. The 3G TL is a much better executed vehicle than anything Acura had in the 90s.

Please point out some specific vehicles that are indicative of Acura's so-called "glory days." I'll give you the NSX, but besides that, I'm having trouble thinking of anything.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:06 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,150 Likes on 821 Posts
I think that sometimes nostalgia clouds one's memory. Acura's vehicles are more upscale and are more differentiated from Honda's than at any other time during the past 15 years. The 3G TL is a much better executed vehicle than anything Acura had in the 90s.

Please point out some specific vehicles that are indicative of Acura's so-called "glory days." I'll give you the NSX, but besides that, I'm having trouble thinking of anything.
I agree that the 3G TL is the best executed upscale Acura sedan ever, except for it's hideous power plenum styling.

Another car from Acura's "glory days" was the Integra Type-R with the 195 HP, 1.8L-I4, 8000rpm engine. It had the highest HP/Litre ratio for naturally aspirated 4-stroke auto engine at that period, together with track tuned suspension which made the car track ready right out of the showroom.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:22 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 836 Likes on 520 Posts
Do you mean 4G TL? I don't think the 3G has the power plenum styling.

The Integra Type R was one of the reasons why people associate Acura with boy racers. And making that car as an Acura wasn't so much of a problem back then because Acura was merely a higher performance Honda, or a more luxurious Honda. But now they want to compete more directly with the so called tier-1 brands, and a boy racer car no longer fits the brand.

It's like making the JDM Civic Type R as an Acura, I'm not sure if that's a good thing to do for pushing Acura to Tier-1. I mean, the CSX is already a bit of a stretch IMO.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by iforyou
Do you mean 4G TL? I don't think the 3G has the power plenum styling.
No, I did mean the 3G TL. The 3G TL car was likely Acura's biggest success in both sales and critical acclaim. I think the 4G is a good effort as well, but I did not want to start another debate about its controversial styling.

I'm still wondering what cars are representative of the glory days that some on this board yearn for. If it's the Integra Type R, I will laugh. I remember some of my classmates in high school had modified Type Rs, complete with nitrous tanks in the trunk, that they used to race down the streets of Fort Lauderdale. The 2G TL was certainly a good car, but I don't see how anyone could argue it is better in any significant way than Acura's current sedans.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^ Depends on your perspective I suppose. I you were/are one of those guys you mentioned then those were the "glory" days. Obviously Acura is growing up and trying to move away from the cheapy tuner car image. That's not either good or bad I suppose. Just a different crowd. Acura's got some tough times ahead of it trying to slowly transition upstream. They will want to bring as many current customers with them but it's inevitable they will lose most. I suspect the TSX is next on the chopping block once they start filling in the lineup on the higher end. It's a FWD only rebadged Euro Accord. Can't have that if they want to go Tier 1. It's gotta go.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:45 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

No, I did mean the 3G TL. The 3G TL car was likely Acura's biggest success in both sales and critical acclaim. I think the 4G is a good effort as well, but I did not want to start another debate about its controversial styling.

I'm still wondering what cars are representative of the glory days that some on this board yearn for. If it's the Integra Type R, I will laugh. I remember some of my classmates in high school had modified Type Rs, complete with nitrous tanks in the trunk, that they used to race down the streets of Fort Lauderdale. The 2G TL was certainly a good car, but I don't see how anyone could argue it is better in any significant way than Acura's current sedans.
I was just referring to Edward's post where he was saying,

"I agree that the 3G TL is the best executed upscale Acura sedan ever, except for it's hideous power plenum styling. "

And I think he meant the 4G TL.

I agree that the 4G TL is a great car and the styling is growing on me.

I also totally agree with your second point regarding the Integra Type R. It's one awesome car and I would love to have one, heck I would love to have the new FD2 Civic Type R (lol, I just like Type R's). Like you, I just don't see how it fits Acura if the brand were to become Tier-1.

I also don't see how the 2G TL is any better than the Acura sedans when the 2G TL is pretty much a glorified Accord and doesn't really stand out in terms of styling.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:47 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
^^^ Depends on your perspective I suppose. I you were/are one of those guys you mentioned then those were the "glory" days. Obviously Acura is growing up and trying to move away from the cheapy tuner car image. That's not either good or bad I suppose. Just a different crowd. Acura's got some tough times ahead of it trying to slowly transition upstream. They will want to bring as many current customers with them but it's inevitable they will lose most. I suspect the TSX is next on the chopping block once they start filling in the lineup on the higher end. It's a FWD only rebadged Euro Accord. Can't have that if they want to go Tier 1. It's gotta go.
No doubt, the fact that they got rid of the RSX tells me they are quite serious about going after the Tier-1 status. It will just take a few more years before everything is ready.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Advanced

If Acura is serious about not only going T1, but going global, the TSX HAS TO GO. It's a fantastic car and I've toyed with the idea of getting one, but it just doesn't fit in Acura's plans, much like how the RSX was a painful, but necessary death.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by Spearsoft
If Acura is serious about not only going T1, but going global, the TSX HAS TO GO. It's a fantastic car and I've toyed with the idea of getting one, but it just doesn't fit in Acura's plans, much like how the RSX was a painful, but necessary death.
Agree. The rebadged RL and TSX are one thing that really stands in their way of going global with this brand. They can't take it to Europe now because 40% of their lineup is already there under the Honda badge. The RL will no doubt go it's separate way with this next gen and will not just be a rebadged Honda Legend. The slot the TSX holds is important, so they will need to develop an Acura only model to fill it. Once that's done and also added a coupe/convertible variant off something (several years away, 2012?) they will probably be ready again to try rolling Acura out to Asia and Europe. Lots of unexpected things can happen between then and now, but I suspect the world economy will be in a growth cycle again and things will be in place to expand the brand
Old 05-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Spearsoft
Euro Accord is the only tier 1 car in Honda line up. Once you add up all the options to Euro Accord. It costs 32000 british pounds or more than 42000 euros for 4cylinder. Add SH-AWD/V6/HDD/AFS/Push button/18inch. Your looking at prices higher or approaching Honda legend/Acura RL.

In Germany it is called Accord Limosine.
http://www.honda.de/content/automobi...limousine.html
Old 05-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Euro Accord is the only tier 1 car in Honda line up. Once you add up all the options to Euro Accord. It costs 32000 british pounds or more than 42000 euros for 4cylinder. Add SH-AWD/V6/HDD/AFS/Push button/18inch. Your looking at prices higher or approaching Honda legend/Acura RL.

In Germany it is called Accord Limosine.
http://www.honda.de/content/automobi...limousine.html
I went to the link. I can't read the German but thanks for posting. I can't see how the TSX in it's current state can be considered a Tier1 product by anyone. Europeans certainly have a different perspective on optimal vehicle size, but I think we are in line with everything else.

As far as it being called a "limousine". That's funny and has to simply be an example of a word not translating very well.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:30 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

^^ that's because SSFTSX drives a 09 TSX, that's why it's a Tier1 product....
Old 05-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Safety Car

I went to the link. I can't read the German but thanks for posting. I can't see how the TSX in it's current state can be considered a Tier1 product by anyone. Europeans certainly have a different perspective on optimal vehicle size, but I think we are in line with everything else.

As far as it being called a "limousine". That's funny and has to simply be an example of a word not translating very well.
A product becomes Tier-1 when both consumer and the firm percieve it be tier one. EuroAccord compete in 4 cylinder segment with its German rivals and it is the most expensive 4 cylinder rival having normally aspirated engine.
TSX have decent sales in Year 2009 with its 4cylinder engine and price.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchin...nt_7726863.htm
Asked whether he worries about that the SR-9 will erode sales of the Accord, Guangqi Honda's Hironori said: "I have no concerns about it as China's vehicle market is growing rapidly. It (the SR-9) will likely expand the mid and high-end segment."

Dongfeng Honda said the SR-9, which is to target young, dynamic upscale buyers, will go head-to-head with Audi A4 and BMW 3 Series.Guangqi Honda plans to roll out the first model under its all-new brand, the "Li Nian", next year. The brand, without a Honda logo, was created in 2008.

Honda is also selling imported Acura luxury vehicles in China
Old 05-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Go Big Blue!

A product becomes Tier-1 when both consumer and the firm percieve it be tier one. EuroAccord compete in 4 cylinder segment with its German rivals and it is the most expensive 4 cylinder rival having normally aspirated engine.
TSX have decent sales in Year 2009 with its 4cylinder engine and price.
I wouldn't argue with that. Status (even value) is very much based on perception. But that brings us full circle and still doesn't change the conclusion. The attributes of the Euro Accord (Acura TSX) do not meet the Tier 1 perception here in America. Doesn't matter what the European buyer thinks. He's not buying here in America. Acura still must consider upscaling the product that currently is filled by the rebadged Euro Accord. Great car but not fitting of the Tier 1 status here in America. Replacing it with an Acura only vehicle has the added benefit of making it easier to take the brand to Europe and Asia.

Conclusion: replace the TSX and RL with an Acura only product as part of the the to-do list for taking Acura Tier 1
Old 05-04-2009, 11:11 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 719 Likes on 435 Posts
I went to the link. I can't read the German but thanks for posting. I can't see how the TSX in it's current state can be considered a Tier1 product by anyone.
You also have to consider that the brands we consider premium, like BMW, Audi and Mercedes, don't have quite the same stellar reputation in Europe.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Safety Car

I wouldn't argue with that. Status (even value) is very much based on perception. But that brings us full circle and still doesn't change the conclusion. The attributes of the Euro Accord (Acura TSX) do not meet the Tier 1 perception here in America. Doesn't matter what the European buyer thinks. He's not buying here in America. Acura still must consider upscaling the product that currently is filled by the rebadged Euro Accord. Great car but not fitting of the Tier 1 status here in America. Replacing it with an Acura only vehicle has the added benefit of making it easier to take the brand to Europe and Asia.

Conclusion: replace the TSX and RL with an Acura only product as part of the the to-do list for taking Acura Tier 1
TSX is Tier 1 product by all standard of measure as consumers are willing to pay $30K for 4cylinder normal engine. Same way like consumer willing to pay $40K for A4 2.0T. It will be very hard for Lexus/MB/BMW to move 4 cylinder cars in $30K range.
On the other hand TL/RL is not Tier 1. No one is willing to pay $50K for RL. you can see from sales. TL is in deep discount.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Talking Tl

On the other hand TL/RL is not Tier 1. No one is willing to pay $50K for RL. you can see from sales. TL is in deep discount.
A quick glance @ Edmunds shows that the TL currently has no rebates & 2.9% financing.

C Class has 0.9% financing.

The 3 Series & G37 have a $1,000 rebate plus 0.9% financing.

A4 has a $1,500 rebate plus 0.9% financing.

CTS has a $1,500 rebate.

MKZ has a $3,500 or 0.0% financing.

So the TL does not look to be that deep into discounts compared to the competition.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TSX69
A quick glance @ Edmunds shows that the TL currently has no rebates & 2.9% financing.

C Class has 0.9% financing.

The 3 Series & G37 have a $1,000 rebate plus 0.9% financing.

A4 has a $1,500 rebate plus 0.9% financing.

CTS has a $1,500 rebate.

MKZ has a $3,500 or 0.0% financing.

So the TL does not look to be that deep into discounts compared to the competition.
official incentives dont represent true transaction prices. Audi A4 Prestige 4cylinder cost $10k more than FWD TL Tech on average basis.
$3K disount on $47K car is smaller deal than $4K discount on $39K car. Remember comparing 4 cylinder to 6 cylinder.
Audi A4 has $3K dicount on $47K car.
TL has $4K discount on $39K car.
TSX has $2K discount on $33K car.

[quote]
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2009/acur....html?action=2
2009 Acura TL
4dr Sedan w/Tech Package (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
What Others
Are Paying

MSRP Invoice
National Base Price
A note about advertising fees $38,685 $35,556 $34,818
Regional Adjustment
for Zip Code Change - - -$474
Optional Equipment N/A N/A N/A
No optional equipment selected
Color Adjustment - - $0
Not Sure
Destination Charge $760 $760 $760
Total with Options $39,445 $36,316 $35,104

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2009/audi....html?action=2

2009 Audi A4
2.0T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
What Others
Are Paying

MSRP Invoice
National Base Price
A note about advertising fees $33,050 $30,737 $31,426
Regional Adjustment
for Zip Code Change - - -$410
Optional Equipment $13,350 $12,414 $12,527
WPT Prestige $7,350 $6,835 $6,897
PQX S Line Package $2,450 $2,278 $2,299
8T4 Adaptive Cruise Control w/Active Braking Guard $2,100 $1,953 $1,971
PPS 18" Sport Package $1,450 $1,348 $1,360
Color Adjustment - - $0
Not Sure
Destination Charge $825 $825 $825
Total with Options $47,225 $43,976 $44,368

2009 Acura TSX
4dr Sedan w/Technology Package (2.4L 4cyl 5A)
What Others
Are Paying

MSRP Invoice
National Base Price
A note about advertising fees $32,260 $29,481 $29,444
Regional Adjustment
for Zip Code Change - - -$393
Color Adjustment - - $0
Not Sure
Total with Options $33,020 $30,241 $29,811
Old 05-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
The A4 does not compete with the TL and TSX. The A4 competes directly with the MDX since they are both in the same price range and apparently size doesn't matter.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:52 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

[QUOTE=SSFTSX;10861407]official incentives dont represent true transaction prices. Audi A4 Prestige 4cylinder cost $10k more than FWD TL Tech on average basis.
$3K disount on $47K car is smaller deal than $4K discount on $39K car. Remember comparing 4 cylinder to 6 cylinder.

2009 Acura TL
4dr Sedan w/Tech Package (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
What Others
Are Paying

MSRP Invoice
National Base Price
A note about advertising fees $38,685 $35,556 $34,818
Regional Adjustment
for Zip Code Change - - -$474
Color Adjustment - - $0
Not Sure
Total with Options $39,445 $36,316 $35,104
Not too sure what you are talking about, but this article will help you:
http://studio-5.financialcontent.com...ChannelID=3191

"Edmunds.com's monthly True Cost of IncentivesSM (TCISM) report takes into account all automakers' various U.S. incentives programs, including subvented interest rates and lease programs, as well as cash rebates to consumers and dealers. To ensure the greatest possible accuracy, Edmunds.com bases its calculations on sales volume, including the mix of vehicle makes and models for each month, as well as on the proportion of vehicles for which each type of incentive was used. "

True Cost of Incentives for the Top Seven Automakers
Automaker April 2009 March 2009 April 2008
Honda (Acura, Honda) $1,439* $1,334 $1,405
Hyundai (Hyundai, Kia) $3,591* $3,504 $2,156
Nissan (Infiniti, Nissan) $2,779* $2,234 $1,796
Toyota (Lexus, Scion, Toyota)$1,648 $1,565 $840
Industry Average $3,031 $3,165* $2,351

Honda/Acura is well below average, and as TSX69 stated, TL currently has no rebates & 2.9% financing. Period.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Safety Car

[QUOTE=iforyou;10862976]
official incentives dont represent true transaction prices. Audi A4 Prestige 4cylinder cost $10k more than FWD TL Tech on average basis.

Not too sure what you are talking about, but this article will help you:
http://studio-5.financialcontent.com...ChannelID=3191

"Edmunds.com's monthly True Cost of IncentivesSM (TCISM) report takes into account all automakers' various U.S. incentives programs, including subvented interest rates and lease programs, as well as cash rebates to consumers and dealers. To ensure the greatest possible accuracy, Edmunds.com bases its calculations on sales volume, including the mix of vehicle makes and models for each month, as well as on the proportion of vehicles for which each type of incentive was used. "

True Cost of Incentives for the Top Seven Automakers
Automaker April 2009 March 2009 April 2008
Honda (Acura, Honda) $1,439* $1,334 $1,405
Hyundai (Hyundai, Kia) $3,591* $3,504 $2,156
Nissan (Infiniti, Nissan) $2,779* $2,234 $1,796
Toyota (Lexus, Scion, Toyota)$1,648 $1,565 $840
Industry Average $3,031 $3,165* $2,351

Honda/Acura is well below average, and as TSX69 stated, TL currently has no rebates & 2.9% financing. Period.
Do you think discount on Honda Pilot/Ridgeline/MDX/RDX is the same as Honda Fit. It is the actual transaction price that matters and it takes much bigger discount to move TL off the floor than TSX/A4. And A4/TSX were never designed for US market alone. TL sales in Europe will be zero. The car is cleary not a tier 1 product. Tier-1 product doesnot mean it should have 8 to 12 cylinder. Products are Tier-1 in each category.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:21 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

You are trying to say that, a $3000 discount on a Honda Fit isn't really the same thing as a $3000 discount on a MDX. Is this what you are trying to get at. If so, I know what you mean. That's why I posted those numbers. And again, there's no rebates and 2.9% financing as mentioned by TSX69, over 3000 of them were sold last month. In other words, $0 rebate on TL. It doesn't matter if it's $0 rebate on a Fit or a TL, $0 is $0, it also means 0%. Not $1500 rebate like the A4 as noted by TSX69. In terms of percentage, $1500 isn't 0%.

So, Acura moved over 3000 TL's off the floor without rebates, according to TSX69, which got his number from Edmunds. Simple as that.

Yes, it's clear that the TL isn't a tier-1 product. I didn't say it is, did I? In fact, some say that Acura has lost its direction because of its 4G TL, that's probably because they think that's a Tier-1 product when in reality, it's not.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Safety Car

You are trying to say that, a $3000 discount on a Honda Fit isn't really the same thing as a $3000 discount on a MDX. Is this what you are trying to get at. If so, I know what you mean. That's why I posted those numbers. And again, there's no rebates and 2.9% financing as mentioned by TSX69, over 3000 of them were sold last month. In other words, $0 rebate on TL. It doesn't matter if it's $0 rebate on a Fit or a TL, $0 is $0, it also means 0%. Not $1500 rebate like the A4 as noted by TSX69. In terms of percentage, $1500 isn't 0%.

So, Acura moved over 3000 TL's off the floor without rebates, according to TSX69, which got his number from Edmunds. Simple as that.

Yes, it's clear that the TL isn't a tier-1 product. I didn't say it is, did I? In fact, some say that Acura has lost its direction because of its 4G TL, that's probably because they think that's a Tier-1 product when in reality, it's not.
TMV includes rebates & discounts as it reflects the Actual Market in a region. TL has much lower TMV than 4cylinder Audi. TSX has much lower disounted price.
And method of financing does not matter. there are credit unions that offer better finaning with longer terms loans and on top of that add it to your home loan. so you can deduct interest from taxes.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:17 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

The bottom line is, Acura offers $0 rebates for the TL and it was able to sell over 3000 copies. Audi also sold over 3000 copies of A4 but with $1500 rebates.

There are people who don't use credit unions (like my whole family) and I'm sure we are not alone. So those 0.9% financing for sure is going to help, it might not be a BIG differene, but you are kidding me and yourself if you think 0.9% is the same as 2.9% financing.

But of course, if you think what you said is correct and true, and it makes you feel better, go right ahead.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Safety Car

The bottom line is, Acura offers $0 rebates for the TL and it was able to sell over 3000 copies. Audi also sold over 3000 copies of A4 but with $1500 rebates.
So what is TMV than? Why one car on average more expensive than the other by $10K and not even with Six cylinder engine.
There are people who don't use credit unions (like my whole family) and I'm sure we are not alone. So those 0.9% financing for sure is going to help, it might not be a BIG differene, but you are kidding me and yourself if you think 0.9% is the same as 2.9% financing.
But of course, if you think what you said is correct and true, and it makes you feel better, go right ahead.
0.9 to 2.9% harld make differnce. May be few dollars a month. No one makes $40K decision for such small difference unless a car company gives 84months loans.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:04 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
And yet you bought a CL, arguably the least competitive car in its segment.
...but it had a kick @ss navi unit in it :wink:

The letters have been around for longer than names. People need to got over it. I'm not confused by the letters. Wait. Did you think you were getting a TL and ended up with a CL by mistake?
yes!

....and I almost bought an RDX....turns out it was an SUV and not a bunch of explosives.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Welcome to Olliewood

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Seriously man? Legend Type II Coupe?

1995 was prime for Acura-new Integra on the block, Legend, NSX..classic
Old 05-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Suzuka Master

....and I almost bought an RDX....turns out it was an SUV and not a bunch of explosives.
LOl at least the explosives would have been useful!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by HBaJ
Seriously man? Legend Type II Coupe?

1995 was prime for Acura-new Integra on the block, Legend, NSX..classic
This is exactly type of nostalgia I was referring to. Acura was in crisis mode in 1995 and in danger of failure.
http://www.businessweek.com/archives...444102.arc.htm

1995 was Acura's worst year up until that point. I don't see how anyone could argue with a straight face that Acura was better positioned in 1995 than it is currently.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Go Big Blue!

This is exactly type of nostalgia I was referring to. Acura was in crisis mode in 1995 and in danger of failure.
http://www.businessweek.com/archives...444102.arc.htm

1995 was Acura's worst year up until that point. I don't see how anyone could argue with a straight face that Acura was better positioned in 1995 than it is currently.
Thanks for that article. Enjoyed the flashback

By the way, I agree with you. Our minds have a way of playing tricks on us. The Old Days always seem better than they were. Cars are no exception.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for that article. Enjoyed the flashback

By the way, I agree with you. Our minds have a way of playing tricks on us. The Old Days always seem better than they were. Cars are no exception.
I started with Acura in early 1996. I remember those days well, and not through rose colored glasses. i seem to recall $5000 dealer cash to move out the old Legends that nobody wanted.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Pro

I started with Acura in early 1996. I remember those days well, and not through rose colored glasses. i seem to recall $5000 dealer cash to move out the old Legends that nobody wanted.
So I assume you're not of the opinion that the mid 90s were Acura's "glory days" and that the company has been in decline ever since?
Old 05-08-2009, 03:12 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
15 years ago weren't Legends going for around $40,000? That might be a reason why they weren't moving. I don't know what pricing was for competitors, but that's pricey even by today's standards, inflation and all.

The thing is, most enthusiasts, myself included don't really care or remember the financial circumstances of car companies. We remember the cars. Legends were overpriced.... but they've stood the test of time, BHGs aside. And I still like Integras - if only they didn't get broken into all the time. Both were fun to drive and they readily came in manual... that's for sure.

Their current strategy is to have pricing more in-line with competitors. If they sell a boatload of cars, GOOD for them! But I could care less about how many cars they move or their current lineup.... great cars for sure though.

Quick Reply: Acura: Development and Technology News