TLX Type S release thread; prices, trims and availability

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 03:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 279 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Agree with the others who question what a TLX-S is supposed to be. A performance sedan with double wishbones, a K-brace, Brembo Brakes, 3.0 DOHC Turbo V6 with 355BHP SHAWD & 10 speed transmission with Sport mode.

Introduced to the public at the Laguna Seca race track with staged drag races against a S4 & a free track day for any invited guest who wanted to run a world famous track in a Type-S. Or a very nice family sedan that handles nicely, which I hear you saying.

Seems like what Acura promoted at Laguna Seca & what you are selling in your post are a bit out of sync.

BTW some of y'all have an 11 year head start on harping of what a killer car the birth on the TL then TLX-1 then TLX-2 was going to be. Here I was in great fear that I was going to get my clock cleaned by the Type-S because my rusted out BMW would not start. Payback can be a bitch on occasion.
So they put it on Laguna Seca. Raced it with other cars it's against. Did yall ASSUME they were saying it was going to beat them? Or did you think "Hey. They're putting it on this track to see how it handles since this is such a widely known track"?

Sure they put it on that track. So? Does that mean anything? Not really. Now if they boasted "This car is going to be the best in it's class!" Then brought out the S4 and M340i, THAT'S when I would start questioning Acura like "Um...what are yall doing? you know with those specs, the Type S isn't going to be able to hold a candle to them."

Originally Posted by fiatlux
I guess at least the fun-to-drive factor for the Type S is higher than the S4. When I test drove the S4, it felt like a regular sporty sedan (A4) with more power. When I test drove the Type S it legitimately felt like a sports sedan, right up there with BMWs of yore when it comes to handling and steering feel. Less body roll, stiffer suspension, better braking feel, and turn-in was much sharper.
I'd like to have a fun factor. That's what makes me enjoy a car. Especially something that's supposed to be sporty. The S4 looks muted exterior wise.

Originally Posted by DubPK
Nobody was expecting it to be the best in the segment, they were expecting it to be roughly on par with the worse of the segment which was the S4. The G70 hit the still target from 2017, the TLX-S did not. You can be a fan of a brand like Honda/Acura and still call them out for their faults. Apologizing for them is just sad.
Understandable. Not really apologizing for them though. What actual faults do they have with the Type S? Actual legitimate faults. Not "Oh it doesn't have enough power." It wasn't make to have a lot. "It doesn't have HUD." So? I need actual faults the car has that makes it less than what Acura said it would be. Luxury mixed with sport.

Originally Posted by ELIN
I was on the same page as you until you said the above. Acura better sell a ton more A-Spec than the Type S. In this respect, the A-Spec better be fast enough for MOST. Type S is for the enthusiast and should be relegated to "SOME."
The A-Spec is fast enough for SOME. I have a friend who has a 2020 A-Spec and absolutely loves it. Doesn't want the V6 either. Not everyone is wanting 355hp. 272hp is plenty for some. 206hp is good for others.

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
If that was the case, I'd be all over this car. All I want are ventilated seats for my sweaty ass and adaptive cruise control for longer freeway drives I plan on taking in the future.

Funny how the ones who were all aboard the hype-train and saying that this thing was going to be "a beast" suddenly have done a 180 and are playing the "it's not all about performance, it's a good car to drive daily and 0-60 doesn't matter unless you're a race car driver" song ...
I wish it was a beast. But I've always said its about all around performance. I saw the 0-60 numbers and was like "So? I'm not racing my car light to light. Why would I need a 4.5 0-60?" If it was places in the $45k range, I'm sure ya'll would still complain about it.
The following users liked this post:
Honda430 (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 03:51 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
I’ve said this before Then why not just get an A Spec? Why even make a Type S? Acura hyped everybody up that they were making a German fighter when the concept dropped. Why wouldn’t speed matter with a “performance” car? If people buying this car just want something sporty just get an A Spec it’s fast enough for most people right?
Even if the TLX Type-S can't beat the S4 in straight line acceleration numbers, the high performance Type-S is still a big step up from the A-Spec in terms of handling and acceleration performance.

The big Brembo brakes, torquey V6, sport-tuned adjustable suspension, Sport+ engine mode, and 20" lightweight wheels all contribute to the superior performance over the A-Spec.

Not everything has to do with straight line acceleration numbers. Sensible buyers shop and look at vehicles as a complete package, with which acceleration numbers are just one part of their considerations. Very, very few real car buyers purchase their $50K+ vehicles just by picking the best acceleration number and nothing else. Only those who are not preparing to buy cars, but just clicking away on their keyboards at home would.

Let say if the Type-S were to have faster acceleration numbers than the S4, does it mean that the S4 was not worthwhile in the A4 lineup ? No, of course it doesn't.

The Type-S is faster than the A-spec, and even though it can't beat the S4 in acceleration, its highest performing image in the TLX lineup can't be denied, especially that Acura is limiting its production quantity to make it more exclusive.

Last edited by Edward'TLS; 07-23-2021 at 03:53 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
ConradValmont (07-23-2021), MarcoTLX (09-17-2021), Shadow2056 (07-25-2021), sonyfever (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Even if the TLX Type-S can't beat the S4 in straight line acceleration numbers, the high performance Type-S is still a big step up from the A-Spec in terms of handling and acceleration performance.

The big Brembo brakes, torquey V6, sport-tuned adjustable suspension, Sport+ engine mode, and 20" lightweight wheels all contribute to the superior performance over the A-Spec.

Not everything has to do with straight line acceleration numbers. Sensible buyers shop and look at vehicles as a complete package, with which acceleration numbers are just one part of their considerations. Very, very few real car buyers purchase their $50K+ vehicles just by picking the best acceleration number and nothing else. Only those who are not preparing to buy cars, but just clicking away on their keyboards at home would.

Let say if the Type-S were to have faster acceleration numbers than the S4, does it mean that the S4 was not worthwhile in the A4 lineup ? No, of course it doesn't.

The Type-S is faster than the A-spec, and even though it can't beat the S4 in acceleration, its highest performing image in the TLX lineup can't be denied.
Honestly, I think the whole episode is people who have tasted better performance, look at performance from a different scale. I don't remember Acura saying they will fight German competitors, they only say performance will be the focus. I guess people automatically translate that into class-leading performance, thus the disappointment.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by sonyfever
Honestly, I think the whole episode is people who have tasted better performance, look at performance from a different scale. I don't remember Acura saying they will fight German competitors, they only say performance will be the focus. I guess people automatically translate that into class-leading performance, thus the disappointment.
Acura's marketing dept would beg to differ

https://www.acura.com/compare/audi-s...ura-tlx-type-s

Although to be fair, it seems like their marketing marketing isn't 100% delusional, because they don't mention performance in their comparison with the M340i

https://www.acura.com/compare/bmw-m3...ura-tlx-type-s
The following 5 users liked this post by fiatlux:
04WDPSeDaN (07-24-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (07-23-2021), ELIN (07-23-2021), pyrodan007 (07-24-2021), someguy11 (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 04:37 PM
Safety Car

My favorite is when they show the M340i's rear wheels (with the smaller brake caliper) and put it next to the Type S's front wheel with the bigger Brembo. Gotta love that innovation and style

And the steering wheel comparison just makes them feel like they're grasping at straws:

The following 4 users liked this post by fiatlux:
04WDPSeDaN (07-24-2021), ELIN (07-23-2021), pyrodan007 (07-24-2021), someguy11 (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 04:48 PM
Safety Car

Even if Acura does the sensible thing and avoid comparing itself to the S4 and M340i, they still say: "Designed at its core for extreme performance and sculpted for speed, the all-new TLX Type S is the most powerful Acura sedan ever engineered, with a dual-scroll turbo V-6 that delivers 355-HP3 and 354 lb-ft of highly responsive torque4."

Extreme performance. I think even the more hardcore fanboy/apologist will concede that this car does not deliver extreme performance. Yeah, you can argue that this car wasn't designed to do that, but this is the vision and concept that Acura is trying to sell, and they're the ones making these promises. Maybe you can excuse the engineers for not delivering due to whatever constraints were placed on them, but you can't excuse Acura as a whole for not delivering, because they're the ones that set these expectations for themselves. Perhaps they should change their slogan from Precision Crafted Performance to Overpromise and Underdeliver.
04WDPSeDaN (07-24-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (07-23-2021), dj5 (07-24-2021), pyrodan007 (07-24-2021), someguy11 (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadow2056

Both M340i and S4 to build to specs of Type S features put it over the $60k mark. "Some dealers are marking them up to $70k!" We're not talking about the dealer mark ups. Some have bought them at MSRP or slight mark ups that still have them less than $60k. If you don't like the TLX Type S. That's ok. Stop coming up with excuses to insult it though.
Can't comment about BMW ADM add on junk like all the "treatments" & buys at MSRP across the country. Right now I am at a not very good $3000 off MSRP for a 2022 M4CS. First day of the buying war. More will come off but the grand old days of -15% are over. Way too much demand.

I like quick cars with stuff but not fluff. If I was buying a M340 it would MSRP @ $59,800
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
leomio2.0 (07-23-2021), Shadow2056 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 08:21 PM
Suzuka Master

So they put it on Laguna Seca. Raced it with other cars it's against. Did yall ASSUME they were saying it was going to beat them? Or did you think "Hey. They're putting it on this track to see how it handles since this is such a widely known track"?

Sure they put it on that track. So? Does that mean anything? Not really. Now if they boasted "This car is going to be the best in it's class!" Then brought out the S4 and M340i, THAT'S when I would start questioning Acura like "Um...what are yall doing? you know with those specs, the Type S isn't going to be able to hold a candle to them.".

THE AUDI S4 CANNOT COMPETE WITH TLX TYPE-S PREFORMANCE

You tell me if I need glasses at my extrema age but did the performance word sneak in to the add. How does this play out against the TLX-S with the hood open and a big placard with 355BHP yada,yada last line 0-60 4.7? Then with that in the back of your mind beating the S4 two for two in the staged drag races. You can't really believe this was all just for fun & that were not trying to set an image that the TLX-S was a player along with the German cars.

I am also hearing a lot a whole lot about the cars handling here & in the TV adds with it drifting (wasting time) around corners of various tracks. Problem as of right now we have seen no lap time comparisons in fact we have seen no lap times.
The following 4 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
04WDPSeDaN (07-24-2021), Kense (07-24-2021), pyrodan007 (07-24-2021), someguy11 (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 01:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Problem as of right now we have seen no lap time comparisons in fact we have seen no lap times.
F1's new philosophy, it's not about the time to get to the finish line, but the handling and joy for the drivers in getting there eventually. The reason why everything is shifting to handling now is that it's all the Type-S has left going for it, it's castle of performance "cards" has crumbled.

No offence to the members here that got one, it's for the people that keep on defending lackluster numbers when Acura is screaming it's still king of at least "something" (see above) and price on its website. To the members that got one and know it's limitations, please enjoy it in peace and in health.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 07-24-2021 at 01:36 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by pyrodan007:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-24-2021), Kense (07-24-2021), someguy11 (07-24-2021), vhtran (07-26-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 02:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
F1's new philosophy, it's not about the time to get to the finish line, but the handling and joy for the drivers in getting there eventually. The reason why everything is shifting to handling now is that it's all the Type-S has left going for it, it's castle of performance "cards" has crumbled.

No offence to the members here that got one, it's for the people that keep on defending lackluster numbers when Acura is screaming it's still king of at least "something" (see above) and price on its website. To the members that got one and know it's limitations, please enjoy it in peace and in health.
Yeah the thing that frosts me is they are trying to be clever with the use of imagery to create a false impression. The picture is supposed to be about the 20" wheels but they just had to accidentally flash a major caliper mismatch in living color so you don't miss it.

A light color like red will always show bigger than a dark color like dark blue even if the items are the same size. Think they might have at least shown the baby caliper in red, its a free choice on BMW;s what color you want on the calipers.

They are as subtle as a ten pound sledge hammer. Gotta wonder if the entire Acura marketing flunked Marketing & Advertising 101?

The back brake 340 VS TLX-S front brake picture as who has better brakes. Using the wheel picture to show the standard M340 Brembo caliper- Wheel is not available on the M340 wheel choice list of 11 wheels as far as I know. Performance that evil word again.

That "little" M340 caliper in the Acura add contributes its share to:
C/D TEST RESULTS:
2020 BMW M340i

Braking, 70–0 mph: 155 ft

C/D TEST RESULTS:
2021 Acura TLX Type S

Braking, 70–0 mph: 165 ft

So from the deceptive picture in the Acura add would a non car person ever suspect that from 70MPH the M340 with the little iddy biddy brake would ever stop better than the humongous TLX-S BREMBO brake?

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-24-2021 at 02:49 AM.
ELIN (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 10:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Yeah the thing that frosts me is they are trying to be clever with the use of imagery to create a false impression. The picture is supposed to be about the 20" wheels but they just had to accidentally flash a major caliper mismatch in living color so you don't miss it.

A light color like red will always show bigger than a dark color like dark blue even if the items are the same size. Think they might have at least shown the baby caliper in red, its a free choice on BMW;s what color you want on the calipers.

They are as subtle as a ten pound sledge hammer. Gotta wonder if the entire Acura marketing flunked Marketing & Advertising 101?

The back brake 340 VS TLX-S front brake picture as who has better brakes. Using the wheel picture to show the standard M340 Brembo caliper- Wheel is not available on the M340 wheel choice list of 11 wheels as far as I know. Performance that evil word again.

That "little" M340 caliper in the Acura add contributes its share to:
C/D TEST RESULTS:
2020 BMW M340i

Braking, 70–0 mph: 155 ft

C/D TEST RESULTS:
2021 Acura TLX Type S

Braking, 70–0 mph: 165 ft

So from the deceptive picture in the Acura add would a non car person ever suspect that from 70MPH the M340 with the little iddy biddy brake would ever stop better than the humongous TLX-S BREMBO brake?
That’s really weak of them to compare a rear rotor and caliper to a front one lol wtf. I have the ZTK package on my M340 and the brakes are enormous.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kense:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-24-2021), sonyfever (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 10:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Kense
That’s really weak of them to compare a rear rotor and caliper to a front one lol wtf. I have the ZTK package on my M340 and the brakes are enormous.
Just some of the sleazy shit Acura is pulling with this car. You might expect from a rogue dealer with a $15K ADM but not the manufacturer. Puffery yes but blatant Bull Shit not so much.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Just some of the sleazy shit Acura is pulling with this car. You might expect from a rogue dealer with a $15K ADM but not the manufacturer. Puffery yes but blatant Bull Shit not so much.
They deserve the flack they are receiving
Old 07-24-2021, 12:38 PM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
Blatant is right. Sleazy is another word that comes to mind. Acura ought to be ashamed for this deceptive campaign of side-by-side comparisons to the superior competition. Is Acura really trying to poke the proverbial bear (BMW & Audi)? What happens when C&D puts them head to head in a comparo? If the Type S even qualifies for that.

This is like when you see a really small dog with a purple collar walking down the sidewalk (Acura = Japanese Chin) - and it starts barking uncontrollably when it sees a really big dog across the street (BMW = Doberman Pinscher, or German Shepherd, or Rottweiler). And you think, "Really poochie? That dog would eat you as a snack."

Last edited by someguy11; 07-24-2021 at 12:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by someguy11:
04WDPSeDaN (07-26-2021), ELIN (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 10:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts
Agree with you guys, the market team pulled a bad one. On vanilla models I can ignore the twistings, but on performance model, they need to be realistic and focus on their core values instead of faking triumph.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:39 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sonyfever
Agree with you guys, the market team pulled a bad one. On vanilla models I can ignore the twistings, but on performance model, they need to be realistic and focus on their core values instead of faking triumph.
Could be worse; at least they didn't do this:

04WDPSeDaN (07-25-2021), justnspace (08-05-2021), MarcoTLX (08-30-2021), sonyfever (07-25-2021), vhtran (07-26-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 12:53 AM
Safety Car

The following 10 users liked this post by fiatlux:
04WDPSeDaN (07-25-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (07-25-2021), ELIN (07-25-2021), justnspace (08-05-2021), leomio2.0 (07-25-2021), pyrodan007 (07-25-2021), someguy11 (07-25-2021), sonyfever (07-25-2021), Terragotti (07-26-2021), vhtran (07-26-2021) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-25-2021, 01:08 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by someguy11
Blatant is right. Sleazy is another word that comes to mind. Acura ought to be ashamed for this deceptive campaign of side-by-side comparisons to the superior competition. Is Acura really trying to poke the proverbial bear (BMW & Audi)? What happens when C&D puts them head to head in a comparo? If the Type S even qualifies for that.

This is like when you see a really small dog with a purple collar walking down the sidewalk (Acura = Japanese Chin) - and it starts barking uncontrollably when it sees a really big dog across the street (BMW = Doberman Pinscher, or German Shepherd, or Rottweiler). And you think, "Really poochie? That dog would eat you as a snack."
Great minds think alike

As I said before, Acura is playing the role of the yapping ankle biter that's trying to act all big and tough against the GSDs that are the Germans brands.
​​​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-25-2021), someguy11 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 05:52 AM
Burning Brakes

THE AUDI S4 CANNOT COMPETE WITH TLX TYPE-S PREFORMANCE

You tell me if I need glasses at my extrema age but did the performance word sneak in to the add. How does this play out against the TLX-S with the hood open and a big placard with 355BHP yada,yada last line 0-60 4.7? Then with that in the back of your mind beating the S4 two for two in the staged drag races. You can't really believe this was all just for fun & that were not trying to set an image that the TLX-S was a player along with the German cars.

I am also hearing a lot a whole lot about the cars handling here & in the TV adds with it drifting (wasting time) around corners of various tracks. Problem as of right now we have seen no lap time comparisons in fact we have seen no lap times.
If you notice, they did exactly what car manufactures do in their ads. Point out the parts they're better at. Most people look at the bigger number. They point out the horsepower is higher. They see the Type S has more horsepower. This says "Oh. This car is faster." The customer, majority of them, think this car is better. Especially when equipped, they can get the Type S for $8k less.

Notice on the BMW ad, they said "BMW can't compete with styling." Yeah. They pointed out the sporty parts of the Type S that look better to most.

Majority of the people that buy these cars, or buy cars in general, can give 2 craps about 0-60s or lap times. I mention the Accord has a better stopping distance than the Camry or the Pilot gets better fuel economy than the Explorer, the customer is amazed. Most don't look at facts like that. They look at what they like. There are some, that no matter what you tell them, they'll take the Audi or BMW over Acura(of any year) because they like it. The advertising is for majority of the people who like the Type S or are possibly cross shopping the competition. Not the performance nazis on this forum.

Last edited by Shadow2056; 07-25-2021 at 05:54 AM.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Well. The F35 has higher maintenance cost. No remote start. No heated steering wheel. No heated seats. But it has the HUD yall so badly want. Lol
The following 2 users liked this post by Shadow2056:
Ghostof TypeS Past (07-25-2021), MarcoTLX (08-30-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 09:21 AM
Suzuka Master

If you notice, they did exactly what car manufactures do in their ads. Point out the parts they're better at. Most people look at the bigger number. They point out the horsepower is higher. They see the Type S has more horsepower. This says "Oh. This car is faster." The customer, majority of them, think this car is better. Especially when equipped, they can get the Type S for $8k less.

Notice on the BMW ad, they said "BMW can't compete with styling." Yeah. They pointed out the sporty parts of the Type S that look better to most.

Majority of the people that buy these cars, or buy cars in general, can give 2 craps about 0-60s or lap times. I mention the Accord has a better stopping distance than the Camry or the Pilot gets better fuel economy than the Explorer, the customer is amazed. Most don't look at facts like that. They look at what they like. There are some, that no matter what you tell them, they'll take the Audi or BMW over Acura(of any year) because they like it. The advertising is for majority of the people who like the Type S or are possibly cross shopping the competition. Not the performance nazis on this forum.
Sometime the best defense is just to let it go & hope it moves into the past. About 4 sentences in marketing & advertising 101 it says "when the words are forgotten the visual image lingers on". Expect some ace in Acura marketing read the book. Only the idiot did not get the execution quite right. The next paragraph is "don't use a visual that leaves your product open to ridicule as that will be remembered as well.
Shadow2056 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Sometime the best defense is just to let it go & hope it moves into the past. About 4 sentences in marketing & advertising 101 it says "when the words are forgotten the visual image lingers on". Expect some ace in Acura marketing read the book. Only the idiot did not get the execution quite right. The next paragraph is "don't use a visual that leaves your product open to ridicule as that will be remembered as well.

True. I do the same with Chevy and their commercials. "JD Power and Associates Best in Initial Quality award!" Yeah...primary word: initial. Later down the road it's not so good. Hahaha! Not to talk bad about them but it's true.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shadow2056:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-25-2021), someguy11 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 01:25 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I burst out laughing when I saw this! Thanks for the laughs man. All in good humor
The following 3 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-25-2021), Shadow2056 (07-25-2021), someguy11 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Jesus H. Christ. I haven't laughed this hard in a while. Well done, sir. Well done ...
The following 7 users liked this post by leomio2.0:
04WDPSeDaN (07-25-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (07-25-2021), MarcoTLX (08-30-2021), pyrodan007 (07-25-2021), Shadow2056 (07-25-2021), someguy11 (07-25-2021), vhtran (07-26-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-25-2021, 05:53 PM
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 35 Posts
Speaking of marketing tho… the $800 “Performance Wheel and Tire” package I’m starting to find out is actually for one wheel and tire. It’s $3,200 to get all 4. I think the marketing department has picked up a bunch of 20yr olds.
BEAR-AvHistory (07-26-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 07:09 PM
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 143 Posts
Speaking of performance wheel and tire package... I just spent $2400 on some parts and accessories. Crazy to buy before getting the car? Maybe. But wanted everything for when the car gets here (hopefully) next month.

Y-spoke wheels, TPMS, side skirts, carbon interior trim pieces. Didn't like the carbon trim initially, but grew to like it slightly more than the aluminum pieces. Ordered all at once since shipping was @ $100 for the wheels and didn't change much for everything else.

Trim and side skirts seem pretty straightforward to DIY. Can't be any worse than the timing belt job!
Old 07-25-2021, 07:20 PM
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Camaro194
Speaking of performance wheel and tire package... I just spent $2400 on some parts and accessories. Crazy to buy before getting the car? Maybe. But wanted everything for when the car gets here (hopefully) next month.

Y-spoke wheels, TPMS, side skirts, carbon interior trim pieces. Didn't like the carbon trim initially, but grew to like it slightly more than the aluminum pieces. Ordered all at once since shipping was @ $100 for the wheels and didn't change much for everything else.

Trim and side skirts seem pretty straightforward to DIY. Can't be any worse than the timing belt job!
Did Columbia charge you for TPMS and shipping???
Old 07-25-2021, 07:36 PM
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghostof TypeS Past
Did Columbia charge you for TPMS and shipping???
Bought this stuff online (acuraoemparts.com). Keeping it separate from the car purchase, so that I'll have all of the original parts to keep/sell. This should be @ $100 cheaper than what Columbia charged you for the wheels, and I won't have to worry about hauling the original wheels and parts back with me.
Ghostof TypeS Past (07-25-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 10:03 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
All true, but Acura, like way too many ex and current politicians, knows that there's a sizeable percentage of Americans who are stupid enough to get in line and pay for as much bullshit as they can swallow.
BEAR-AvHistory (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 11:18 AM
Car Enthusiast

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
Well. The F35 has higher maintenance cost. No remote start. No heated steering wheel. No heated seats. But it has the HUD yall so badly want. Lol
Who said the F35 does not have a heated seat? To activate it you have to pull the red lever at the bottom of the seat between your crotch, I think.
The following 3 users liked this post by vhtran:
Camaro194 (07-26-2021), Edward'TLS (07-26-2021), Ghostof TypeS Past (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 05:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vhtran
Who said the F35 does not have a heated seat? To activate it you have to pull the red lever at the bottom of the seat between your crotch, I think.
Hahahaha! Yeah. It'll be heated for one time use. Lol
vhtran (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 05:49 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Yes but the TLX-S doesn't have an Ejecto Seato

The following 2 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
Shadow2056 (07-28-2021), vhtran (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 06:33 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally Posted by vhtran
The ejection rocket boosters do make the F35 seat a heated seat all right.
Shadow2056 (07-28-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 08:07 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
Not trying to be too technical the F-35 has a Gen III Helmet Mounted Display System not a HUD
Wife works on F-35, she couldn't care less about HMDS, AESA, DAS or MADL as long as there's a good charge number
Shadow2056 (07-28-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 10:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Not trying to be too technical the F-35 has a Gen III Helmet Mounted Display System not a HUD
Wife works on F-35, she couldn't care less about HMDS, AESA, DAS or MADL as long as there's a good charge number

Hahahaha! Didn't know that! Cool!

But to SOME degree it's a HUD. Lol. The whole thing of a HUD system is so you're keeping your head up looking out. Not down at a screen.

But I get what you're saying though. Hahaha!
Old 08-05-2021, 09:08 AM
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts
My new type-s

1st Post in a long time. Owned 4 Acuras: 2 Integras; 2 TLs. Three purchased from Hunt Valley [MD] Acura.

New TLX Type-S: 2021 Apex Blue Pearl with Ebony Interior
Deposit of $1,000: 08-03-21 to Hunt Valley Acura
Test Drive: Type-S: No A-Spec: Yes
Mfg Date: 080621
Delivery Date 090421
Price: MSRP
ADM: Zero
Processing Fee (Title, Tags...): $499
Non Tax Fee (?): $331
Note: Dealer says this is the last of his allotment for Type S. Future deposits are for 2022s with no knowledge of delivery date.
The following 2 users liked this post by Justy48:
a35tl (08-05-2021), WTF.Acura (08-11-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 09:34 AM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
Originally Posted by Justy48
1st Post in a long time. Owned 4 Acuras: 2 Integras; 2 TLs. Three purchased from Hunt Valley [MD] Acura.

New TLX Type-S: 2021 Apex Blue Pearl with Ebony Interior
Deposit of $1,000: 08-03-21 to Hunt Valley Acura
Test Drive: Type-S: No A-Spec: Yes
Mfg Date: 080621
Delivery Date 090421
Price: MSRP
ADM: Zero
Processing Fee (Title, Tags...): $499
Non Tax Fee (?): $331
Note: Dealer says this is the last of his allotment for Type S. Future deposits are for 2022s with no knowledge of delivery date.
So you test drove the A-Spec but not the Type S?!! The two cars will drive very different though the interior will be nearly identical. I can't buy a car not having driven the same model but that's just me...

I think the '22 models are just around the corner (Fall). Of course the chip shortage may jeopardize this.
Many cars will be sold next year that have been baking in lots, waiting for their chips. Hopefully deals can be had on '21 MY cars then.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:24 AM
Advanced

I agree. I needed to at least test drive the A-Spec to determine fit, noise level, and sight lines. From reviews, I know Type-S will be faster, louder,and brake better. Not ideal, but acceptable to me. I did the same with last car. Test drove BMW 328 (E92) and bought BMW 335 (E92). That worked for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Justy48:
ELIN (08-05-2021), WTF.Acura (08-11-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 11:43 AM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
Originally Posted by Justy48
I agree. I needed to at least test drive the A-Spec to determine fit, noise level, and sight lines. From reviews, I know Type-S will be faster, louder,and brake better. Not ideal, but acceptable to me. I did the same with last car. Test drove BMW 328 (E92) and bought BMW 335 (E92). That worked for me.
Yeah. Stinks that the dealership already sold the demo model that Acura told them not to sell!

I was hoping the Type S would stop quicker than 165 ft with the Brembos (70-0 mph) but it is what it is.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:46 AM
Advanced

Interestingly, Hunt Valley Acura did not "sell" the demo.. It is on the showroom floor. It's reserved for a customer for the next thirty days and can't be demo driven. You can sit in the car and operate stuff.

Quick Reply: TLX Type S release thread; prices, trims and availability