2021 TLX Owner's Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 12:36 PM
Drifting

Received 1,231 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by David Levin
The update has been a disaster for me. Can't speak for others, but CarPlay now does not work the first time I attach my iPhone, and the only workaround I've been able to find is to plug in the phone, then disconnect it, then reconnect it again. I never had this issue prior to updating. Also, occasionally audio from other sources (such as satellite radio) does not work if I try to use CarPlay simultaneously. Again, did not have this issue prior to updating.

Am hoping there are others out there who can suggest fixes. Have tried hard restart on phone, but have not tried resetting car to factory presets (yet).

Phone is running iOS 14.2
Upgrade to iOS 14.4 and report results again.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:13 AM
Drifting

The update has been a disaster for me. Can't speak for others, but CarPlay now does not work the first time I attach my iPhone, and the only workaround I've been able to find is to plug in the phone, then disconnect it, then reconnect it again. I never had this issue prior to updating. Also, occasionally audio from other sources (such as satellite radio) does not work if I try to use CarPlay simultaneously. Again, did not have this issue prior to updating.

Am hoping there are others out there who can suggest fixes. Have tried hard restart on phone, but have not tried resetting car to factory presets (yet).

Did you update to iOS 14.4 yet? See if it makes a difference.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:17 AM
Advanced

Received 97 Likes on 32 Posts

I am having no issues after the update with Carplay. Used it all weekend. I am on IOS 14.4. FYI
Old 02-02-2021, 11:47 AM
Drifting

Anyone see sales numbers for Jan yet?

Perhaps there will be an uptick in Feb from all the GME shares being sold. LOL!
Old 02-02-2021, 11:52 AM
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 118 Posts

Just to be clear - did you update your cars' OS? There was an update a few weeks ago from Acura. I would make sure you do both - updating your phone to IOS 14.4 and the car to the latest update to the head unit. If that fails - maybe try restoring to factory presets, then update the head unit again. Also you have probably seen all the usual advice about using as high quality USB cable as possible - Apple certified, yada yada yada...
Old 02-02-2021, 11:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by CPR
My ASPEC mats were part of my lease agreement, in tandem with wheel locks, & tire insurance; (a MUST for NYC streets)
No spare tire, means caution to the wind; at least with the insurance, blown tires, & bent rims are FULLY covered!
Not a big fan of wheel insurance, but if I still lived up north would most likely cave & buy it. One quality wheel tire combo would pay for it. Second one would be on them.
The following users liked this post:
ELIN (02-02-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 09:12 AM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
New owner here from Long Island, NY. Had a 2018 Accord EX-L 2.0 which was a very good car. But this TLX is way above that (to me anyway). I have the Black Pearl with Espresso interior which is very rich looking. Had it now for 6 days and I'm loving it every minute I drive it. Things I love:
- The look of the exterior with dark colors
- This 2.0 feels like it has a faster pickup than my Accord, I know it not faster but just feels like it.
- The ELS Studio is WAY better than anything I ever had in a car. I'm hearing sounds from songs I listen before that I didn't hear before. Just a great system.
- The interior is great. The layout is like a cockpit with that ambient lighting is so cool (as the kids would say).
- Touchpad took a few days to get used too, but now ok.
- The integrated dynamics system, could really feel the modes when you change them, was very suprise.

Need to wait until the weather changes here on the island before I really get to drive it more. So far their isn't anything I don't like lol.
The following 5 users liked this post by frainc:
a35tl (02-20-2021), cyx (03-19-2021), DLM1213 (02-20-2021), Flapjackura (02-20-2021), Nexx (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 09:23 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by frainc
New owner here from Long Island, NY. Had a 2018 Accord EX-L 2.0 which was a very good car. But this TLX is way above that (to me anyway). I have the Black Pearl with Espresso interior which is very rich looking. Had it now for 6 days and I'm loving it every minute I drive it. Things I love:
- This 2.0 feels like it has a faster pickup than my Accord, I know it not faster but just feels like it.
- The ELS Studio is WAY better than anything I ever had in a car. I'm hearing sounds from songs I listen before that I didn't hear before. Just a great system.
- The interior is great. The layout is like a cockpit with that ambient lighting is so cool (as the kids would say).
- The integrated dynamics system, could really feel the modes when you change them, was very suprise.

Need to wait until the weather changes here on the island before I really get to drive it more. So far their isn't anything I don't like lol.
Welcome to the thread! Have you seen many of them on the road?
Old 02-20-2021, 10:00 AM
Racer

Thanks, none on the road. People looking for this class of cars really need to take this on the road and drive it. It's a shame that folks don't because this is really a nice car.
The following 5 users liked this post by frainc:
a35tl (02-20-2021), cyx (03-19-2021), DLM1213 (02-20-2021), ELIN (02-20-2021), Nexx (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 03:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats from a follow Long Islander : ) What version did you get? Did you have the Accord V6 with the 17" or 19" wheels and either way, how does the Road Noise compare between the Accord and TLX? thanks and careful on the Southern State ; )
Old 02-20-2021, 03:31 PM
Racer

Thanks, had the 2018 2.0 EX-L Accord, same engine with 17th wheels. The TLX has less road noise even with the 19 inch wheels. I feel that this cars power comes on faster than my Accord.
I know about Southern state and many other roads here on the island lol. I love this car!!
Old 02-20-2021, 03:35 PM
Drifting

I had the "radar obstruction" notice on my car again while driving through flurries yesterday. Never experienced similar messages from the MDX I had but this probably only became an issue with the intro of '19 RDX, '21 TLX, and '22 MDX?
Old 02-20-2021, 03:41 PM
Racer

Didn't happen to me today when going on the road with the snow, lucky I guess.
F23A4 (02-28-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 07:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks, had the 2018 2.0 EX-L Accord, same engine with 17th wheels. The TLX has less road noise even with the 19 inch wheels. I feel that this cars power comes on faster than my Accord.
I know about Southern state and many other roads here on the island lol. I love this car!!
Good to know... thanks!
Old 02-28-2021, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
I seen my first one on the road yesterday. Acura is one of those brands where you'll see more of them used, at-least here in Baltimore you will. 3-4 years you'll see a lit bit more of these. I have a 19, but I still see good amount of 15-17 ones. I'm now starting to see more 18-20 ones
Old 04-27-2021, 04:01 PM
Drifting

Golfer's car

So I took my A-Spec out today for the first golf swings of the year. I fully expected to fold the rear seats to allow for additional room and was pleasantly surprised to cram the following into the trunk without doing so:

1) Clicgear 2.0 foldable golf cart all the way into the rear of trunk.

2) Full-size emergency kit that includes a lug wrench, compressor, and jumper cables. I will probably downgrade to a smaller kit since I don't have a spare in this car.

3) Full-size golf cart bag. This is not one of those shoulder bags that has legs that pop out when you set it on the ground. It's similar size to the ones the pros use on TV. I was able to set this down horizontally! One great benefit of this car's width being so pronounced is the width close to the opening of the trunk.

I could probably fit about 2 bags of groceries if I had to but this is already pretty tight. For the record, I could never fit the same cart bag horizontally in my '18 MDX!
Old 04-28-2021, 09:42 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
So I took my A-Spec out today for the first golf swings of the year. I fully expected to fold the rear seats to allow for additional room and was pleasantly surprised to cram the following into the trunk without doing so:

1) Clicgear 2.0 foldable golf cart all the way into the rear of trunk.

2) Full-size emergency kit that includes a lug wrench, compressor, and jumper cables. I will probably downgrade to a smaller kit since I don't have a spare in this car.

3) Full-size golf cart bag. This is not one of those shoulder bags that has legs that pop out when you set it on the ground. It's similar size to the ones the pros use on TV. I was able to set this down horizontally! One great benefit of this car's width being so pronounced is the width close to the opening of the trunk.

I could probably fit about 2 bags of groceries if I had to but this is already pretty tight. For the record, I could never fit the same cart bag horizontally in my '18 MDX!
Definitely one of the criteria I look for in a vehicle and one reasons I've stuck with the TL/TLX line for the last 15 years. Except for a few snowy months, I have my golf cart and golf bag in the trunk w/ room for another bag if needed. Extra pair of shoes and balls in the underneath compartment.
ELIN (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 11:54 AM
Drifting

I finally saw another TLX in my town other than my own. It only took 6 months...
Old 04-28-2021, 12:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts
I finally saw another TLX in my town other than my own. It only took 6 months...

Yeah... only one I've seen in my area is my friend...who leases a base model...and I live in a well populated area.
Kinda sad to see, it's a great car imo.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sclyzed:
DLM1213 (04-28-2021), ELIN (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 01:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,420 Likes on 1,871 Posts
Originally Posted by Sclyzed
Yeah... only one I've seen in my area is my friend...who leases a base model...and I live in a well populated area.
In a vacuum, it's a good car, but unfortunately it's the wrong car at the wrong time. Not only are customers gravitating towards crossovers, but the luxury offerings above them are starting to pull away, and the new entrants below them are encroaching on the value aspect. Heck even the Accord 2.0T is probably cannibalizing quite a bit of TLX FWD sales. The TLX is stuck in a no-mans land in the middle; it's a car that's good (even great) at many things, but isn't the clear winner at any one paticular thing (other than being really long, if you consider that a good thing).

I said this last year:

Originally Posted by fiatlux
People who buy Acuras are largely pragmatic and make decisions using their brain rather than their heart. That's great for cars like the RDX where it undercuts the competition by quite a bit and offers more space/utility. However, the problem with the TLX is that if you line it up next to an RDX that costs the same, it's going to be difficult for left-brain folks to justify buying the TLX, especially with the huge incentives the RDX currently has. The RDX has more cargo space, a larger backseat, easier to park and get in and out of, etc. The TLX certainly has the emotional appeal and wins on driving experience, that's for sure, but those things don't really resonate with a lot of Acura buyers.

So, I'm calling it now: it's not going to sell as well the 1G TLX. While this is a better car than the 1G TLX, the 1G was really two cars in one, with one of them competing aggressively on price, and it had a pretty lackluster internal competitor in the 2G RDX. I'll go ahead and bookmark this post so that I can either toot my own horn a couple years from now, or admit I was wrong.

Last edited by fiatlux; 04-28-2021 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:53 PM
Drifting

^^^^^^^
Well for folks that were on the fence b/w RDX and TLX and ultimately chose the RDX, they will have pay just a bit more for gas fill up now than usual. Gas today in my area is 10% higher than last week! It's only going to get worse!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/27/busin...age/index.html
Old 04-28-2021, 07:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Sclyzed
I have seen only a handful since I got my TLX in Feb. It is a great car that has alot of value and just a peach to drive. For me I'm the only one in the car about 99% of the time, so car for me only.
CPR (04-30-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 10:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Was reading this & discovered a shocker. The Z4 only sells a few hundred a month in the US. Its been in production for global sale since November 2018. Saw 5 in the last week. Have seen 2 TLX's since release. This used to be the place where 5 or 6 TL's would be holding at a local traffic light.
Old 04-29-2021, 01:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,420 Likes on 1,871 Posts
^^^^^^^
Well for folks that were on the fence b/w RDX and TLX and ultimately chose the RDX, they will have pay just a bit more for gas fill up now than usual. Gas today in my area is 10% higher than last week! It's only going to get worse!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/27/busin...age/index.html
Isn't the difference between the RDX and TLX 1 whole whopping MPG (24MPG combined vs 25MPG combined)? If you drive 1K miles a month, and gas is $4/gallon, that comes out to a scant $7/month difference, not even enough for a Big Mac combo. Even with the most extreme case of highway driving (27MPG vs 29MPG) that's a mere $10/month difference.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:49 AM
Drifting

Isn't the difference between the RDX and TLX 1 whole whopping MPG (24MPG combined vs 25MPG combined)? If you drive 1K miles a month, and gas is $4/gallon, that comes out to a scant $7/month difference, not even enough for a Big Mac combo. Even with the most extreme case of highway driving (27MPG vs 29MPG) that's a mere $10/month difference.
Yes, on paper the difference is very little. I've found SUV's to stray quite a bit more from reported EPA values compared to sedans so I was really thinking more "real world" numbers.

I haven't had a car that consistently broke 20 mpg (combined) for a while now. Currently averaging ~25 mpg on my TLX.
BEAR-AvHistory (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 09:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Yes, on paper the difference is very little. I've found SUV's to stray quite a bit more from reported EPA values compared to sedans so I was really thinking more "real world" numbers.

I haven't had a car that consistently broke 20 mpg (combined) for a while now. Currently averaging ~25 mpg on my TLX.
Agree, have never had an SUV that made the EPA numbers. All came out short - no I don't flog the SUV or truck. Also agree with Fiatlux that a few MPG one way or another don't have any real meaning in dollars & cents.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-29-2021 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
In a vacuum, it's a good car, but unfortunately it's the wrong car at the wrong time. Not only are customers gravitating towards crossovers, but the luxury offerings above them are starting to pull away, and the new entrants below them are encroaching on the value aspect. Heck even the Accord 2.0T is probably cannibalizing quite a bit of TLX FWD sales. The TLX is stuck in a no-mans land in the middle; it's a car that's good (even great) at many things, but isn't the clear winner at any one paticular thing (other than being really long, if you consider that a good thing).

I said this last year:
I just took the new TLX A-Sped FWD for a spin a couple of hours ago. While admittedly I have been cross-shopping it with the Accord Touring, I still cant get past the appearance of the Accord X. (I was so hoping there would be some sort identifiable refresh of that front end for the MMC but, to no avail.)

If my dealer cooperates with me, I'll probably swap out my 19 3.5 PAWS for the 21 A-Spec FWD as soon as this weekend. In sport mode, it definitely seems to have the same pull though it doesnt sound anywhere near as good. As for those who may wonder why I wouldnt go with the RDX, it's as simple as I dont want or need another wagon in the garage.

Edit: My dealer didn’t cooperate so, I’ll explore other options...potentially non-Acura ones. Stay tuned.

Last edited by F23A4; 05-02-2021 at 03:27 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by F23A4:
a35tl (04-29-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (04-30-2021), CheeseyPoofs McNut (04-30-2021), ELIN (04-30-2021), Pens Fan (04-30-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 09:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Agreed.

And in your example, it's not even $0.50 a day.

I find it interesting that people make such a big deal about gasoline prices.
- Even with it's almost as cheap as bottle water.
- Even when they drive expensive cars and live in nice houses (ie, well off).
- Even when they like quick cars and drive them kinda-hard (using more precious gas).

Same for slight discrepancies in MPG between models.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 04-29-2021 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Stared the day having a Genesis G70 2.0 delivered to my door for a test drive. I liked the car but had some reservations about trunk size and a couple of other minor things. In the early afternoon, I dropped by Acura intending to test drive An RDX thinking it would be moore practical. I was really thinking about 6 months down the road when the lease on my current 2018 ASpec Elite 2.4 was closer to completion, a car that I have really enjoyed for almost 3 years. While at Acura, I saw my favourite TLX combo, the Apex Blue ASpec with the Red & black interior. So I took my fourth TLX test drive in the last few months, and yada yada yda, I left with that beauty several hours later. Given that the deal was surprisingly excellent, despite the remaining 16 payments on my lease. I couldn't be happier!
The following 8 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
a35tl (04-30-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (04-30-2021), CPR (04-30-2021), DLM1213 (04-30-2021), ELIN (04-30-2021), frainc (04-30-2021), Pens Fan (04-30-2021), Tesla1856 (04-30-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-30-2021, 06:19 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Stared the day having a Genesis G70 2.0 delivered to my door for a test drive. I liked the car but had some reservations about trunk size and a couple of other minor things. In the early afternoon, I dropped by Acura intending to test drive An RDX thinking it would be moore practical. I was really thinking about 6 months down the road when the lease on my current 2018 ASpec Elite 2.4 was closer to completion, a car that I have really enjoyed for almost 3 years. While at Acura, I saw my favourite TLX combo, the Apex Blue ASpec with the Red & black interior. So I took my fourth TLX test drive in the last few months, and yada yada yda, I left with that beauty several hours later. Given that the deal was surprisingly excellent, despite the remaining 16 payments on my lease. I couldn't be happier!
Congrats and enjoy!!
mapleloaf (04-30-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 08:02 AM
Drifting

Remaining 16 payments?!!! How much down payment did you lose?!!
Old 04-30-2021, 12:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Congratulations on your new car. Best I ever did was to get BMWFS to eat 3 payments on a corporate pull ahead offer.
Old 04-30-2021, 12:59 PM
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
Remaining 16 payments?!!! How much down payment did you lose?!!
Based on his post I think he meant remaining 6 payments. 16 payments left would definitely be a “loss” on the sale for him.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
Based on his post I think he meant remaining 6 payments. 16 payments left would definitely be a “loss” on the sale for him.
6 payments would make more sense. There are a lot of impulse buyers out there though! LOL
Old 04-30-2021, 02:26 PM
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
6 payments would make more sense. There are a lot of impulse buyers out there though! LOL
LOL! Or upgradeitis
Old 04-30-2021, 07:27 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
I AM BACK!! After owning a 3rd & 4th generation TL, I jumped ship and leased a 2015 Lexus GS & then a 2017 RX (both F-Sport models), Today I purchased a 2021 TLX A-Spec AWD and could not be any happier. Yes. the Lexus is a softer drive, but the Acura is so engaging on the road and they've got the styling right this time.
The following 7 users liked this post by diddy_nyc:
a35tl (04-30-2021), avayas (12-15-2021), CPR (05-03-2021), DLM1213 (04-30-2021), ELIN (04-30-2021), mapleloaf (04-30-2021), Pens Fan (05-01-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-30-2021, 08:10 PM
Pro

Received 537 Likes on 264 Posts
He had his car for over 3 years so def not 16 payments remaining. Congrats. Hope pics are coming shortly....
Old 04-30-2021, 09:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by diddy_nyc
I AM BACK!! After owning a 3rd & 4th generation TL, I jumped ship and leased a 2015 Lexus GS & then a 2017 RX (both F-Sport models), Today I purchased a 2021 TLX A-Spec AWD and could not be any happier. Yes. the Lexus is a softer drive, but the Acura is so engaging on the road and they've got the styling right this time.
How did you like the GS? I ended up with a 2015 A6 3.0L after considering the GS.
mapleloaf (04-30-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 10:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dmski
He had his car for over 3 years so def not 16 payments remaining. Congrats. Hope pics are coming shortly....

I did have 16 monthly payments from my 48 month lease left. It's crazy, but with the discounts they gave me and a net 0% lease for 39 months, with my 2.0% Acura loyalty discount, a cash discount from Acura of about $1100, and my $1500 discount because I'm so special, my discounts more than ate up the negative equity. I'm paying $50 less a month than I would have expected to pay with my usual 48 month lease. The 39 month lease deal, which ended today, is cheaper than the 48 because of the rate, before my 2% discount, and is a better fit for my typical time frame. As I looked at the Superman Car, I threw my 2018 Aspec a final kiss, and said yes to the newest auto love of my life. She is a looker to be sure!

I will send pics when I get her timted (free), undercoated, and ceramic coated next week (half price).
Old 04-30-2021, 11:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Just a moment of tribute for my 2018 ASpec 2.4. She was a wonderful car that I enjoyed each and every time I drove her. We'll always have many memories of our time together, especially the fabulous road trip to Minneapolis soon after we met, which is nostalgic on several levels. Stress free and economical. Now, I move into my next phase, with a a sexier and more powerful set of wheels, and if she performs as good as she looks, will be a welcome upgrade. Let the games begin

Quick Reply: 2021 TLX Owner's Thread