2021 TLX Owner's Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 05:19 PM
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
I'll have to do some investigating and see if a setting on my iPhone needs to be switched.

Thanks!
I believe the setting is in "Siri and Search". Make sure it is set to "allow Siri when locked". This enabling is heavily linked to carplay functionality so it should solve your issue.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:21 PM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
Originally Posted by Flapjackura
I believe the setting is in "Siri and Search". Make sure it is set to "allow Siri when locked". This enabling is heavily linked to carplay functionality so it should solve your issue.
My setting was already on (green).

My "Use Carplay while locked" was also green.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:38 AM
Advanced

Received 97 Likes on 32 Posts
My setting was already on (green).

My "Use Carplay while locked" was also green.
I'm pretty sure I remember when I used CarPlay for the first time a screen popped up asking yes or no use this phone when locked. I thought it was on the car's screen. You may want to delete your phone from CarPlay and start over? Just a thought.
The following users liked this post:
ELIN (12-17-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 07:47 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by izzle22
I'm pretty sure I remember when I used CarPlay for the first time a screen popped up asking yes or no use this phone when locked. I thought it was on the car's screen. You may want to delete your phone from CarPlay and start over? Just a thought.
I'll try that. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2020, 10:53 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
On the Drive button it says D/S
It defaults to D
If you press it, after entering Sport mode, the S pops up on the dashboard
Old 12-18-2020, 02:13 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CPR
On the Drive button it says D/S
It defaults to D
If you press it, after entering Sport mode, the S pops up on the dashboard
That "S" puts you in manual shifting mode where you can use the paddle shifters.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:53 AM
Advanced

That "S" puts you in manual shifting mode where you can use the paddle shifters.
That’s what I was thinking.

Okay. Little over 500 miles on the new TLX and my thoughts so far.

Looks wise the things that bothered me at first have now grown on me. I’m liking the wheels and exhaust more now.
Handling on this car is much better than my 2018 Aspec FWD. I love the SH-AWD on this car.
Engine is good and plenty fast. I still miss the sound and smoothness of the V6.
Sound system and infotainment is great! Love it all. Touch pad is working great for me. Totally comfortable with it.
Gas mileage has not been great for me. I’m averaging 19 MPG. I have had it in Sport mode most of the time.
Seats are extremely comfortable and no issues there.
Overall I am extremely happy with this car. I will update my thoughts after I’ve had it for a while longer.
The following 4 users liked this post by izzle22:
a35tl (12-19-2020), ELIN (12-19-2020), Jrvtecaccord (12-20-2020), pgeorg (12-20-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 10:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 225 Posts

Looks wise the things that bothered me at first have now grown on me. I’m liking the wheels and exhaust more now.
Handling on this car is much better than my 2018 Aspec FWD. I love the SH-AWD on this car.
Engine is good and plenty fast. I still miss the sound and smoothness of the V6.
Sound system and infotainment is great! Love it all. Touch pad is working great for me. Totally comfortable with it.
Gas mileage has not been great for me. I’m averaging 19 MPG. I have had it in Sport mode most of the time.
Overall I am extremely happy with this car. I will update my thoughts after I’ve had it for a while longer.
If you have been driving FWD for a while the AWD is a completely different experience handling wise and all for the better. MPG seems a bit low. Perhaps you have been idling a lot playing with the settings. Anyway I would expect that to go up over time. Each of the Acura's I have owned (all new) had the MPG go up over time for the first several thousand miles. Maybe 2 to 3 mpg as it broke in. Anyway congrats on your new car.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:45 AM
Drifting

I've loaded a ton of DVD-A/DTS albums to a USB stick and will be listening to it today.

I wish you could listen to USB stick music and have CarPlay at the same time but I guess that's where wireless CarPlay would have helped.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:11 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm happy for you and all the other recent buyers that are enjoying the 2G. I bolded your statements that are no-go issues for me regarding 1G ASpec to 2G ASpec swap. My 1G is SH-AWD, so it's not an upgrade like your switch is. Also, the 2.0T isn't a hands-down improvement over the V6. The Increased exterior length is another negative for me. That said, I enjoy my 2018 and I'll keep it another 1-2 years before I look for my next car.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:21 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Wish I knew how to do it
Have lots of DVD/A's, & DTS discs to download
I'd pay someone to do it for me
Anyone in NYC?
Old 12-19-2020, 12:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
I've loaded a ton of DVD-A/DTS albums to a USB stick .
So, what software and/or basic steps did you end-up using?

Over here, I ripped some more Audio-CDs to WAV with Windows Media Player 12 (easy), but that's about it so far for me.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:24 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CPR
Wish I knew how to do it
Have lots of DVD/A's, & DTS discs to download

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
So, what software and/or basic steps did you end-up using?

Over here, I ripped some more Audio-CDs to WAV with Windows Media Player 12 (easy), but that's about it so far for me.
I followed this thread and used DVD Audio Explorer and foobar2000 (also downloaded the DTS component for foobar2000):

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...p-step-971819/

I played Blue Man Group's "The Complex" and was underwhelmed by the bass. I thought the car would already be at reference but the response was not there. I will probably rip one of my home theater reference disc audio tracks and use an SPL meter to measure speakers in the car.
Tesla1856 (12-19-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 06:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carnage719
I'm happy for you and all the other recent buyers that are enjoying the 2G. I bolded your statements that are no-go issues for me regarding 1G ASpec to 2G ASpec swap. My 1G is SH-AWD, so it's not an upgrade like your switch is. Also, the 2.0T isn't a hands-down improvement over the V6. The Increased exterior length is another negative for me. That said, I enjoy my 2018 and I'll keep it another 1-2 years before I look for my next car.
I really liked my 2018 Aspec. Great car to me. I would have kept it if someone wouldn’t have backed into it at work. I in no way will ever say that was a bad car. I miss it in several ways. That engine was great to me. One of the best I’ve had.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:25 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
I’m at 1,600 miles in my Aspec. At about 1,500 miles the transmission started to play a lot better with the engine. Any lag I had been experiencing has been reduced by half and there no lag at all from a standing start. Has anybody else experienced this?
Old 12-20-2020, 07:31 AM
Drifting

Had a long drive and decided to try the built-in nav since I was playing the USB stick and couldn't use CarPlay. Here are my thoughts:

1) Font is too tiny
2) Nav gives no exit numbers, which nearly every modern GPS will do these days
3) As you are close to exiting the highway, there is no warning

Are there settings apart from the default that make the above better? The built-in GPS is nearly useless and unsafe for unfamiliar territories. On the way back, I gave up on listening to the USB stick and returned to using Waze on CarPlay. I don't think the built-in GPS is worth using outside of very short trips/commutes.

I've lost a lot of the 3D ELS benefits by not being able to play HQ music on my USB stick. If someone had posted this before I purchased, I probably would have passed on the car.
pyrodan007 (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 07:35 AM
Drifting

One more thing. On the drive back, it took nearly 45-50 minutes before the heat kicked in. Ambient temperature was barely over 30°F and the car was fairly fogged up, obscuring a lot of my side windows. My car's temperature gauge never quite reached the midway point. I'm wondering if there's an anti-freeze problem or something else?
Old 12-20-2020, 08:59 AM
Racer

Had a long drive and decided to try the built-in nav since I was playing the USB stick and couldn't use CarPlay. Here are my thoughts:

1) Font is too tiny

Are there settings apart from the default that make the above better? The built-in GPS is nearly useless and unsafe for unfamiliar territories. On the way back, I gave up on listening to the USB stick and returned to using Waze on CarPlay. I don't think the built-in GPS is worth using outside of very short trips/commutes.

I've lost a lot of the 3D ELS benefits by not being able to play HQ music on my USB stick. If someone had posted this before I purchased, I probably would have passed on the car.
Interesting statement...seems the 3D ELS' offer of immersive sound was the most promising aspect of the 2G for you, and it's other advancements (said somewhat tongue-in-cheek) over the 1G aren't as compelling. I feel you, no car is perfect. I still struggle with the quirky Android Auto UI and only one USB media input in the 1G. I have all my music on my phone, but I have yet to find a music app that works problem-free with Android Auto.

One more thing. On the drive back, it took nearly 45-50 minutes before the heat kicked in. Ambient temperature was barely over 30°F and the car was fairly fogged up, obscuring a lot of my side windows. My car's temperature gauge never quite reached the midway point. I'm wondering if there's an anti-freeze problem or something else?
Was the climate set to '"auto" or "manual"? Hopefully it's something simple that doesn't require a service visit.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts

1) Font is too tiny
For what it’s worth, on most cars I find the built in nav to be fairly disappointing. My favorite thus far has been Audis, but a big reason is because the map can be projected into the digital dash, and even then, I still much more prefer both Google Maps and Waze. With the new Android Automotive OS that Volvo is rolling out, maybe all that will change since it’s being developed with Google, rather than by an outsourced team working on a 6 year old Android fork as is commonly the case for most nav systems, but I’m not so optimistic about that.
ELIN (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 09:50 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
I've loaded a ton of DVD-A/DTS albums to a USB stick and will be listening to it today.

I wish you could listen to USB stick music and have CarPlay at the same time but I guess that's where wireless CarPlay would have helped.
You can select the USB drive as the audio source while using CarPlay at the same time. Works that way in all Honda/Acura products with CarPlay and imagine for other manufactures as well.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:52 AM
AZ Community Team

Spend some time with the TLX owners manual at home, I suspect you didn't turn on the climate control. Heat should be available in 4-5 minutes of average driving.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:12 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
You can select the USB drive as the audio source while using CarPlay at the same time. Works that way in all Honda/Acura products with CarPlay and imagine for other manufactures as well.
Since there's only one USB media input, how would that work without wireless Carplay?
Old 12-20-2020, 10:41 AM
Drifting

Since there's only one USB media input, how would that work without wireless Carplay?
I have the same Q. There are 2 USB ports but only one talks to the car.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 225 Posts
I have similar thought as you. Going from a V6 A-spec sh-awd G1 to a 2.0T sh-awd is more of a lateral move. Asthetics wise it's better and a natural progression from the G1 but I do like the smooth power and quiteness of the V6 in general. MPG seems like a wash although if it requires premium then the V6 is better to me as at least mine will run fine on regular without and knocking or pinging at all and the price difference between reg and premium here has gotten pretty large. The type S no doubt will require premium to run smooth but I don't mind paying for that if the performance is there. I see it as a much bigger upgrade for someone with a G1 4cyl fwd model that goes to the awd variant than from what we have. Sh-awd on the tlx has always been imo the best value upgrade the car has and is a bargain for how little extra it costs.

Seems so far it seems like people are not reporting much in the way of issues which is a good sign for a new model.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:52 AM
Drifting

Spend some time with the TLX owners manual at home, I suspect you didn't turn on the climate control. Heat should be available in 4-5 minutes of average driving.
I had it on AUTO. Next time, I will double check if On/Off was "On." Does pressing AUTO force "ON" even if it was "OFF" to start with?
Old 12-20-2020, 10:56 AM
AZ Community Team

I have the same Q. There are 2 USB ports but only one talks to the car.

Kinda shocked as a 2017 CRV can do that (play USB drive music AND use a Phone for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto) but the much newer TLX can not via USB drives.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...BTGV2121OM.PDF TLX owners manual pg 203

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...ATLA1717OM.PDF CR-V manual pg 231

Old 12-20-2020, 10:58 AM
Drifting

Kinda shocked as a 2017 CRV can do that (play USB drive music AND use a Phone for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto) but the much newer TLX can not via USB drives.

These are the "gotchas" I absolutely hate after a couple months of ownership. I guess being an "early adopter" you have to be willing to pay the price!
Old 12-20-2020, 11:09 AM
AZ Community Team

These are the "gotchas" I absolutely hate after a couple months of ownership. I guess being an "early adopter" you have to be willing to pay the price!
+1, personally that would annoy me to no end as I listened to music on a 32GB drive while using CarPlay to drive 11 hours down to Florida in a 2017 CR-V this week.
On the center console USB's, one is for CarPlay/USB media and the second is just USB media.
That shoulda been a definite requirement for the 2021 TLX.
Tesla1856 (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 11:52 AM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Here are a bunch of RDX threads that address the USB issue. Maybe an answer fir the TLX can be found there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rdx+...&client=safari

Old 12-20-2020, 01:08 PM
Racer

Even the 2016 Ford company car I drive has two USB media ports. Honda has the most confusing basic vehicle amenity standards.
Old 12-20-2020, 01:08 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Honda430
Here are a bunch of RDX threads that address the USB issue. Maybe an answer fir the TLX can be found there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rdx+...&client=safari
Appreciate the help but the issue is I want to play USB + Apple CarPlay (for apps like WAZE) at the same time. I'm able to listen to music from the USB just fine. I wish Acura allowed for the 2nd USB to be "smart" also instead of power only.

I was going to declare the TLX the new audiophile's car but this lunacy destroys the whole point of a getting a newer car. My next car must have wireless carplay!
Old 12-20-2020, 02:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Appreciate the help but the issue is I want to play USB + Apple CarPlay (for apps like WAZE) at the same time. I'm able to listen to music from the USB just fine. I wish Acura allowed for the 2nd USB to be "smart" also instead of power only.

I was going to declare the TLX the new audiophile's car but this lunacy destroys the whole point of a getting a newer car. My next car must have wireless carplay!
If I remember correctly, the old TLX had a HDD where it would able to rip CDs. Not sure if it was possible to also transfer music files. I don't think the new one has this functionality, but it would at least compensate for the lack of dual media inputs.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
If I remember correctly, the old TLX had a HDD where it would able to rip CDs. Not sure if it was possible to also transfer music files. I don't think the new one has this functionality, but it would at least compensate for the lack of dual media inputs.
There's no HDD. Would have made a lot of sense if only one USB is "smart."
pyrodan007 (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 02:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
I had it on AUTO. Next time, I will double check if On/Off was "On." Does pressing AUTO force "ON" even if it was "OFF" to start with?
Would think "auto" should be self contained always on you never have to touch once you select the temperature you want. Regardless auto/manual I agree with Legend2TL you should have heat very quickly.

On a cold day I use remote start to get the car running about 5 minutes before I go out. At 38*F ambient the car has heat when I get in.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:45 PM
Suzuka Master

There's no HDD. Would have made a lot of sense if only one USB is "smart."
Learn something new every day. Did not know that there was such a thing as smart & dumb USB ports in the car. Will have to check that out. Right now I have one port being used for Dragy but the unit only requires power, it Bluetooths to my phone where the app is. Have another dual port in the console I never tried out. To load music into the car off a stick the instructions are to use a specific port that is next to the one I have Dragy pugged into. I use that to install my iTunes onto to the cars memory.

My normal operation is to put the phone on the charge pad & have the phone link to the car. Has Bluetooth & WiFi interface (Hot Spot?) for CarPlay or can link the functions without CarPlay. I use the CarPlay user interface most of the time. Any suggestions on what is the best way to play music?
Old 12-20-2020, 02:55 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Learn something new every day. Did not know that there was such a thing as smart & dumb USB ports in the car. Will have to check that out. Right now I have one port being used for Dragy but the unit only requires power, it Bluetooths to my phone where the app is. Have another dual port in the console I never tried out. To load music into the car off a stick the instructions are to use a specific port that is next to the one I have Dragy pugged into. I use that to install my iTunes onto to the cars memory.

My normal operation is to put the phone on the charge pad & have the phone link to the car. Has Bluetooth & WiFi interface (Hot Spot?) for CarPlay or can link the functions without CarPlay. I use the CarPlay user interface most of the time. Any suggestions on what is the best way to play music?
Best way is to load up lossless or similar HQ music into a memory stick and listen from there since there doesn't seem to be a way to load up the same content to an iPhone.

I've been converting my DVD-A to .FLAC to maintain the surround sound and higher quality. Still researching how to rip my SACD's.
BEAR-AvHistory (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 05:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Best way is to load up lossless or similar HQ music into a memory stick and listen from there since there doesn't seem to be a way to load up the same content to an iPhone.

I've been converting my DVD-A to .FLAC to maintain the surround sound and higher quality. Still researching how to rip my SACD's.
I can load music from the stick to storage/playback by the car. Will the quality suffer?
Old 12-20-2020, 07:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I followed this thread and used DVD Audio Explorer and foobar2000 (also downloaded the DTS component for foobar2000):

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...p-step-971819/

I played Blue Man Group's "The Complex" and was underwhelmed by the bass. I thought the car would already be at reference but the response was not there. I will probably rip one of my home theater reference disc audio tracks and use an SPL meter to measure speakers in the car.
‘I have extremely underwhelmed by the 1G TLX audio system, seems the 4G TL just sounded better, with more defined punchier bass.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:47 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
I can load music from the stick to storage/playback by the car. Will the quality suffer?
Quality depends on how it was encoded to the USB stick. TLX can handle up to 24-bit 48 khz music files.
BEAR-AvHistory (12-21-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 08:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
The HDD feature is slow to rip, making it inconvenient. If I remember right, it looks for copyright or something that won't allow you to rip music to a CD-R or CD-RW and then rip to HDD, but I could be wrong. After I experienced how long it took to rip a CD, I've never bothered with it again.

Quick Reply: 2021 TLX Owner's Thread