2021 TLX Owner's Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 08:44 AM
Drifting

Received 1,231 Likes on 890 Posts
Post 2021 TLX Owner's Thread

I didn't see an owner's thread so hopefully all owners can congregate here and share their stories/experience. I got an A-Spec at the end of last month on a fairly decent lease deal. The deals are there, you just have to stand your ground on pricing. Here are my super early impressions after 100 miles:

Pros:
- Engine has some zip and should be more than adequate for most people (enthusiasts can continue waiting for the Type S)
- Looks like a sleek sports car (especially if you choose the red/black interior seating)!
- Almost all safety features are standard, even on the lowest trim
- Seats are super comfortable, even more so than the ones on the MDX I was driving. Good support and I can imagine long drives being pleasant.
- Suspension has been upgraded to double-wishbone. I don't feel I miss the active-dampening of the Advance trim.
- Trunk release button is handy for when your hands are full (just stand there with fob in proximity and push the button!)
- Awesome ELS sound system
- Wireless phone charging

Cons:
- There is no spare tire (for additional fuel economy). You'll deal with a compressor and sealant in the trunk. You can always ask roadside assistance to do it for you.
- Brakes take quite a bit of time to catch due to the weight of the car. I completely understand the poor stopping distance the experts are getting now!
- Cup holders can't even hold a decent sized cup. I may have to put in a "filler" to ensure most cups fit.
- Remote Start not a button on key fob. It is a "feature" in the Acuralink app. If you choose not to continue after the 6-month trial, you lose Remote Start!
- Manual fold side mirrors on every Trim except Advance. I've always had auto-fold mirrors when locking the car in this price range. Note that manual also means no electrical-assist. You step out and fold the mirrors yourself!
- The touchpad takes some getting used to. Unfortunately the method to operate the tactile pad for Acura apps is not the same as for when you use Carplay. I can't comment on the Android version but it may be the same issue. I've gotten used to this but I can see this being a deal breaker for some folks.
- Car is marketed to compete with the BMW 3 series, C-Class, etc. and is competitive in price, interior space, trunk space, but not in fuel economy. I believe the exterior being more like the 5-series or E-Class size and the weight has quite a bit to do with it. This oddball combination forces the TLX to be more of a direct competitor with the Kia Stinger GT-Line for these reasons (fuel economy is identical).

Speaking of weight, the TLX is only about 250 lb less than the MDX I gave up. Luckily the engine is more than sufficient to power the car on the highway. I always hated how underpowered a 2012 C-Class I owned was similar in weight to this TLX but struggled to accelerate with its underpowered V6.

In conclusion, I'll stop short of saying this car is for "Acura fans only" but it is definitely not for everyone. The looks may keep sales high but only time will tell how long-term owners feel. Either way, it is most definitely worth it to get a test drive if you are on the fence after this review!

Wait for the Type S if:
- You hate audio augmentation during "Sport" drive mode. Of course I'm only speculating they will have removed this on the turbo 6, which is not a given!
- You hate the enlarged tail pipes that cover the functional smaller pipes. I'm sure this space is meant as a placeholder for the Type S quad pipes.
- Won't mind missing some luxury features that are rumored to only exist in the Advance model
The following users liked this post:
StealthTL-S (12-15-2021)

Popular Reply

10-15-2021, 07:59 PM
GrumpyTLXguy
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
New to the page. Just picked up my 2021 CPO TLX Tech SH-AWD. So far I’m loving it!
I picked it up in Chantilly VA and drove back 4 hours to WV through the mountains. Average MPG 29 (per computer)
I’ve had the car for two days and it already threw a code for emissions. Figuring it was a fluke I ran over and scanned the code. I then reset it and it hasn’t come back.
Fingers crossed lol.

So far I’ve added:
All weather mats.
Spent a little time hardwiring the radar detector today. Turned out perfectl!

like I said though, I’m loving the car so far!

Old 11-07-2020, 02:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 653 Likes on 351 Posts
Remote start is on the KeyFob
moviechick (11-08-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 03:05 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Didn't know the A-SPEC had the remote start option; I know its standard; on the remote, for the Advance.
Have to do more research, & ask my dealer before delivery
Old 11-07-2020, 03:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by GhostTL09
Remote start is on the KeyFob
Not on my A-Spec:

The following 2 users liked this post by ELIN:
Ricky11 (07-04-2021), rlx015 (11-11-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 03:26 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by CPR
Didn't know the A-SPEC had the remote start option; I know its standard; on the remote, for the Advance.
https://acuralink.acura.com/#/compat...2021&model=TLX
Old 11-07-2020, 03:52 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CPR
As you can see from the pic of my A-Spec keyfob, I highly doubt Acura went out of their way to add the remote start button just for the Advance trim.

I was hoping for owners to chime in, especially since I know of at least 2 who have the Advance trim and can confirm.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:35 PM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
As you can see from the pic of my A-Spec keyfob, I highly doubt Acura went out of their way to add the remote start button just for the Advance trim.
I was hoping for owners to chime in, especially since I know of at least 2 who have the Advance trim and can confirm.
There is a designated key fob just for vehicles equipped with remote start from factory...

Old 11-07-2020, 11:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Standard feature on all Canadian trims.
The following 2 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
Hihopes (12-01-2022), Jay--p (12-28-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 05:34 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JDMaccord3.5
There is a designated key fob just for vehicles equipped with remote start from factory...

Yes, I understand this. I came from an MDX that had the button on the fob.

Any chance I can hear from US TLX owners?
Old 11-08-2020, 05:35 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Standard feature on all Canadian trims.
That’s prob Canadian govt regulations forcing the issue. Definitely not a US requirement.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:01 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
Luckily the engine is more than sufficient to power the car on the highway. I always hated how underpowered a 2012 C-Class I owned was similar in weight to this TLX but struggled to accelerate with its underpowered V6.
I assume that 2012 was a C300? I have a 2008 (same powertrain), and while I've only driven the 3G RDX (not the 2G TLX), I have to say that the low-RPM and pedal feel of that 3.0 V6 is worlds better than the Acura 2.0T. I agree that the Benz struggles when you really punch it, but the 4-banger just feels too mushy, surge-y, and thrashy everywhere in the power band. I dunno, maybe I'm just used to the linearity and smoothness of a 6...

Last edited by silverTL6; 11-08-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:20 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by silverTL6
I assume that 2012 was a C300? I have a 2008 (same powertrain), and while I've only driven the 3G RDX (not the 2G TLX), I have to say that the low-RPM and pedal feel of that 3.0 V6 is worlds better than the Acura 2.0T. I agree that the Benz struggles when you really punch it, but the 4-banger just feels too mushy, surge-y, and thrashy everywhere in the power band. I dunno, maybe I'm just used to the linearity and smoothness of a 6...
Yes, it was a C300. I have mostly city miles so my experience is more of the "touring around town" variety as opposed to the "need for speed" on the highway. The C300 always felt anemic off the line and you could feel the "heft" from such a small car. I just checked the numbers and ironically, the 2012 C300 4MATIC was 3737 lbs compared to my current 2021 TLX AWD A-Spec's 3990 lbs. Much advancement in engine tech has been made in 9 years!
Old 11-08-2020, 08:25 AM
Drifting

@silverTL6 Let me also add that if you drove the Advance version of the RDX, it's 78 lb heavier than my car. Not a whole lot of difference in weight but this could take tenths of a second off the 0-60.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:30 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
@ELIN - you probably have already checked this but check your other remote. We have a 2016 RDX Advance with remote start and don't believe both remotes have the remote start feature. I could be wrong as we only use one remote and the other is tucked away with all the paperwork in a file cabinet in the basement, but might be worth a quick look on your part.
The following 2 users liked this post by NBP04TL4ME:
ELIN (11-08-2020), moviechick (11-08-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 11:09 AM
Cruisin'

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, I understand this. I came from an MDX that had the button on the fob.

Any chance I can hear from US TLX owners?
I have it in my key fobs in Pittsburgh. Don’t plan on paying for the senseless subscription. For what we paid for the car it should be free, like most other car manufacturers.

The following 2 users liked this post by moviechick:
NBP04TL4ME (11-08-2020), ValdezQ26 (12-04-2022)
Old 11-08-2020, 11:18 AM
Cruisin'

I have the Advanced FWD model.

So far I like the car.

Some things that annoy me are on the big iPad display (that’s what I call it). The touchpad is not easy to get used to. I wish on the right side you could set a default view. I hate having navigation on there. I like it showing the clock. Have to reset multiple times during one drive.

I wish there was a way to program a default for the driving mode. I use the Individual mode and hate that I have to remember to press it every time.

I had been driving an RDX for three years and going back to a car takes some getting used to. I was going 5 mph making a right into a parking lot and nailed the curb and took a big chunk out of my tire. $320 to replace on a 3 week old car arggghhhhh

Old 11-08-2020, 11:32 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
I ALWAYS insist that tire & wheel insurance, is included in my lease deals
One cracked wheel can be $1,000
F23A4 (11-26-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 11:48 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CPR
I ALWAYS insist that tire & wheel insurance, is included in my lease deals
One cracked wheel can be $1,000
As do I. However the finance guy did not offer it and it failed to pop into my mind as it was a quick purchase. I’m very mad, but nothing I can do.
Mikey319 (12-21-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 12:38 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by moviechick
I have it in my key fobs in Pittsburgh. Don’t plan on paying for the senseless subscription. For what we paid for the car it should be free, like most other car manufacturers.
Thanks for the pic. Sorry to hear about your tire.

I should also add the TLX is fairly close to the ground. I scuffed up the front of the C300 enough to know I have to be careful with the new TLX.
moviechick (11-08-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 01:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
@ELIN - you probably have already checked this but check your other remote. We have a 2016 RDX Advance with remote start and don't believe both remotes have the remote start feature. I could be wrong as we only use one remote and the other is tucked away with all the paperwork in a file cabinet in the basement, but might be worth a quick look on your part.
I checked. Both keys are identical. Not a big loss for me but Acura is def “pay as you go” now if it wasn’t before.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:55 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by silverTL6
I must say that all the Benzs I've driven have fairly smooth transmissions. This goes for their sedans all the way to their SUV's as my other car is a 2016 GL.

I was considering MB when returning the MDX but it would have been a CPO vehicle with the old COMAND system. I hear great things about the latest MBUX system so it will have to be 3 years from now!
Old 11-09-2020, 12:50 AM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
From what I gathered, there are 2 systems to remotely start the engine for the newer Acuras. The first is through the Acuralink app, which works with all trims and at any distance as long as there is data connections from your phone to the Acura server and from the server to the car. The second system is with a remote start capable keyfob and physical transceiver on the car. You can have the second system as an accessory on the non-Advance trims and pay the dealer for installation and programming of the new fobs. (You'll end up with 4 keyfobs).

This is the installation guide: http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/BII14301-02.PDF

My car is a 3G RDX but I imagine the TLX works the same way. I hope this helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by Starseer:
ELIN (11-09-2020), vperkins2 (12-16-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 06:16 AM
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I have had the car since Saturday morning...still getting the settings to what I like. The dealer set there was an option to have the car start in the dynamic mode you left in every time however not finding it. I have to set sport mode every time I get in the car. Also under individualize mode you can disable the Idle/stop setting but again can't figure out how to set the car to start in that Individual mode every time. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:31 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by smange2005
I have had the car since Saturday morning...still getting the settings to what I like. The dealer set there was an option to have the car start in the dynamic mode you left in every time however not finding it. I have to set sport mode every time I get in the car. Also under individualize mode you can disable the Idle/stop setting but again can't figure out how to set the car to start in that Individual mode every time. Any help would be appreciated.
Congrats! We’ll get to the bottom of this drive mode issue!
Old 11-09-2020, 07:34 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Starseer
From what I gathered, there are 2 systems to remotely start the engine for the newer Acuras. The first is through the Acuralink app, which works with all trims and at any distance as long as there is data connections from your phone to the Acura server and from the server to the car. The second system is with a remote start capable keyfob and physical transceiver on the car. You can have the second system as an accessory on the non-Advance trims and pay the dealer for installation and programming of the new fobs. (You'll end up with 4 keyfobs).

This is the installation guide: http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/BII14301-02.PDF

My car is a 3G RDX but I imagine the TLX works the same way. I hope this helps.
Thanks for the link! I know Remote Start may be a requirement so that's why I pointed that out in my review. I had it on my MDX and only used it twice. I might use it in the winter during my 6 month trial to warm up the car but I'm definitely not paying for it later.

In the summer, I normally hold the unlock button to open all the windows as I approach the car to let out all the hot air (I'm hoping it's the same on the TLX but I haven't tested). I believe this is more effective in cooling down the car than using remote start just to turn on the A/C but not letting the air out.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:43 AM
06 G35 6MT

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
[QUOTE=ELIN;16654470]Thanks for the link! I know Remote Start may be a requirement so that's why I pointed that out in my review. I had it on my MDX and only used it twice. I might use it in the winter during my 6 month trial to warm up the car but I'm definitely not paying for it later.

In the summer, I normally hold the unlock button to open all the windows as I approach the car to let out all the hot air (I'm hoping it's the same on the TLX but I haven't tested). I believe this is more effective in cooling down the car than using remote start just to turn on the A/C but not letting the air out.

My 06 G35 has the same features, please test n update us if it can do the same!
ELIN (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 09:09 AM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
To engage Individual mode you must depress the drive mode button after starting the car. You can not set Individual mode as an automatic default.
The following 2 users liked this post by Honda430:
ELIN (11-09-2020), moviechick (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 10:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
I checked. Both keys are identical. Not a big loss for me but Acura is def “pay as you go” now if it wasn’t before.
BMW tried that with CarPlay but caved to customer complaints about an annual fee. Been a freeB for the last two or three years.
ELIN (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 02:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,420 Likes on 1,871 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
BMW tried that with CarPlay but caved to customer complaints about an annual fee. Been a freeB for the last two or three years.
They also had an issue where a server outage prevented the cars from checking to see whether there was an active subscription, which causes CarPlay to be inaccessible for everyone.

https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/2...-functionality
Old 11-09-2020, 04:20 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vicious Type S
My 06 G35 has the same features, please test n update us if it can do the same!
I can confirm that holding the unlock button as you approach the car will open all the windows and the moonroof!
Old 11-09-2020, 04:43 PM
Drifting

Your dealer appears to be mistaken. If you like "Sport" mode, then hold the "Drive Mode" button until you see the customization screen. Select "Sport" for everything and choose "Disable" for the Idle Stop. Now every time, you turn on the ignition, you will push the Acura button to activate your favorite settings instead of turning the dial with the presets.

I'm guessing it doesn't save your drive model permanently as they wanted the EPA to always test on the default favorable settings. Seeing how the TLX is at the bottom of the class for fuel economy, it prob needs all the help it can get!
Old 11-09-2020, 04:44 PM
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Damn yeah I figured that was it...the dealer didn't seem to hip on the car. I ended up saying at one point just let me go I'll figure it out myself :
vperkins2 (12-16-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 04:46 PM
Drifting

Damn yeah I figured that was it...the dealer didn't seem to hip on the car. I ended up saying at one point just let me go I'll figure it out myself :
On the bright side, if the car is shared b/w at least 2 drivers, Remote 2 will have its own settings saved so that you don't have to fix what the other person broke!
Old 11-09-2020, 04:55 PM
Drifting

The TLX has been out about a month and so far, I've been the only TLX that I've seen in my area. There are plenty of 3 series, C-class, A4's, etc. and I just didn't see myself following suit. I know I paid a premium for the looks but at least I've joined an exclusive club. Acura may have priced itself too high but I do expect more TLX's on the road by the time the Type S is finally out.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:06 AM
06 G35 6MT

I can confirm that holding the unlock button as you approach the car will open all the windows and the moonroof!
Thanks ELIN! My gripe with the G was that if u hold the Lock button, it won't close all the windows as well, I do find that more useful but I've grown to live without it.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:34 AM
Drifting

Thanks ELIN! My gripe with the G was that if u hold the Lock button, it won't close all the windows as well, I do find that more useful but I've grown to live without it.
I haven't tried closing using the remote (only opening). Will try that today!
Old 11-10-2020, 03:14 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
For safety reasons (so I've heard), Acura does not provide for closing all windows with the remote. However, like my last several Acuras (and Hondas), you can close all window and the moonroof simultaneously with the key that is embedded in the remote. You put it in the lock and turn it twice. You can also open all windows with the key the same way (turn in opposite direction). Not very convenient, but sometimes easier than getting back in and starting car if I notice that 1 or more windows was left open.

I think this was answered above, but I have an Advance model, and both key fobs do have remote start buttons.

As for a staying in the same mode when restarted, the car will do that with either comfort or normal mode, but will not with a mode that has Auto stop enabled lie Sport or individual mode. (apparently an EPA thing).

I've had my Advance for over a month now, and I really do like it, although there are some features that I liked better in the 2018 advance model TLX. (for example, if using the built-in Navigation, it was much easier to turn the center know to adjust the map scale/zoom, than it is to use the touchpad to do the same thing.

Possibly my favorite feature, which unfortunately is advance only, is the HUD (heads up display) which can show many things to the driver without having to take your eyes off the road, and can do many things (like change radio stations or radio mode, or answer or make phone calls). Even my non-techie wife likes it.

I also really like the (advance only) surround car view -- it makes parking much easier, and can help avoid going over the curb.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:30 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jimblock
For safety reasons (so I've heard), Acura does not provide for closing all windows with the remote. However, like my last several Acuras (and Hondas), you can close all window and the moonroof simultaneously with the key that is embedded in the remote. You put it in the lock and turn it twice. You can also open all windows with the key the same way (turn in opposite direction). Not very convenient, but sometimes easier than getting back in and starting car if I notice that 1 or more windows was left open.

I think this was answered above, but I have an Advance model, and both key fobs do have remote start buttons.

As for a staying in the same mode when restarted, the car will do that with either comfort or normal mode, but will not with a mode that has Auto stop enabled lie Sport or individual mode. (apparently an EPA thing).

I've had my Advance for over a month now, and I really do like it, although there are some features that I liked better in the 2018 advance model TLX. (for example, if using the built-in Navigation, it was much easier to turn the center know to adjust the map scale/zoom, than it is to use the touchpad to do the same thing.

Possibly my favorite feature, which unfortunately is advance only, is the HUD (heads up display) which can show many things to the driver without having to take your eyes off the road, and can do many things (like change radio stations or radio mode, or answer or make phone calls). Even my non-techie wife likes it.

I also really like the (advance only) surround car view -- it makes parking much easier, and can help avoid going over the curb.
Good to hear you're enjoying your Advance! I tried closing the windows with just the fob and it won't close (only open by holding the unlock button).

I can definitely see prospective Type S buyers getting super upset if they don't get half the features exclusive to the Advance trim right now!
Old 11-11-2020, 06:41 AM
06 G35 6MT

Good to hear you're enjoying your Advance! I tried closing the windows with just the fob and it won't close (only open by holding the unlock button).

I can definitely see prospective Type S buyers getting super upset if they don't get half the features exclusive to the Advance trim right now!
Yea I'm still upset the Type S wont be getting the 360 Camera... with the hood being so long, the wheels so big and the car itself probably lower, that camera would be something that's super helpful for everyday use!
Old 11-11-2020, 07:41 AM
Drifting

Yea I'm still upset the Type S wont be getting the 360 Camera... with the hood being so long, the wheels so big and the car itself probably lower, that camera would be something that's super helpful for everyday use!
It would have been neat to have that camera (and a HUD) but it will have to be a car where I really spoil myself further down the road.

For now, I will continue my philosophy of parking away from the crowd and walking a little further to my destination. I try to avoid those stone bumpers as the front of the TLX is pretty low.

I would imagine future Type S owners would do the same!

Quick Reply: 2021 TLX Owner's Thread