2021 Acura TLX vs The Competition

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 06:50 PM
Pro

Received 537 Likes on 264 Posts
Good job Lexus but the damn car is just too small. If this was the size of 1G TLX I would be all over it. Anyone with kids or over 6ft tall this car is pretty much off the list.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:08 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,090 Likes on 2,540 Posts
Originally Posted by frainc
I now have my 2021 TLX Tech for week today and I am not sorry at all in getting this car. To me it's the best Acura/Honda I ever own and I had about 10 of the
brand during the past 20 years. People just need to take this car out and test it and should see what a really good car this is.

I know, some will say no, over price Honda but its not. I guess its each his own and as long as I'm happy I don't care what others say!
that's all that matters

Last edited by Legend2TL; 02-22-2021 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
I am so happy Lexus came up with this model. Amazing HP and I am sure it will be priced cheaper than the Germans. Now all the potential TYPE S buyers will simply go and get an IS. Finally...wow God listened to us! Hope there is less noise here now and we don't get every topic converted to an Audi or BMW discussion. And all the "enthusiasts" join Lexus forum and discuss the amazing IS! I have never been this happy since I own an Acura...but i am happy that finally Lexus came up with a crazy HP!
Would not break out the Champaign over the 472BHP just yet as something does not compute. Was real interested till I read Lexus saying 4.4 & C&D saying 4.1 which is basically agreeing with each other. Trying to figure out how a car with 382BHP and almost the same weight has a street number as quicker than the Lexus C&D number? Really hope the Lexus shows some better numbers in the 1/4 as it should pass the German cars at mid track. For 2022 the M340 should drop to 3.5 C&D number with the electric launcher. Will be happy to welcome the guys who move to Lexus back as was said this forum would be dead if it depended on TLX owners for traffic.

BTW With 472BHP the Lexus should be giving the M3/4 base a lot of grief not just the mid level cars.

Originally Posted by Tony Pac View Post
Well done Lexus but honestly, it will be higher than $60K. I noticed one thing, Lexus doesn't price their cars to get customers based on value. I mean if you look at all their sports models, prices are pretty high. Again, hope i am wrong and they price the car lower than the Germans. one f the reasons the GS F wasn't successful. i had that car for a week and let me tell you it's beautiful. But too bad. Lexus wasn't able to sell it at that price point.
Lexus is selling luxury not bargain pricing because people will buy them. Its better to sell a few high margin cars than a few more low margin ones. If I had to guess & the car has the goods they will closely shadow Germen pricing selling a V8 to Americans against German 6's.

As for the GS-F people were not going to spend $86,000 for:
The last GS F we tested charged to 60 mph in 4.4 seconds and hit the quarter-mile mark in 12.9 seconds at 113 mph. The big Lexus still struggles to keep pace with its competitors from Germany—most of which are into the high three-second range to 60 mph.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-22-2021 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:06 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
Good job Lexus but the damn car is just too small. If this was the size of 1G TLX I would be all over it. Anyone with kids or over 6ft tall this car is pretty much off the list.
ES500 would be the dream. I personally think the ES350 F-Sport is quite a looker. But, that would assuredly be in the $70k+ range and would again be in Lexus's tally of "great cars that absolutely nobody bought."
Old 02-22-2021, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Would not break out the Champaign over the 472BHP just yet as something does not compute. Was real interested till I read Lexus saying 4.4 & C&D saying 4.1 which is basically agreeing with each other. Trying to figure out how a car with 382BHP and almost the same weight has a street number as quicker than the Lexus C&D number? Really hope the Lexus shows some better numbers in the 1/4 as it should pass the German cars at mid track. For 2022 the M340 should drop to 3.5 C&D number with the electric launcher. Will be happy to welcome the guys who move to Lexus back as was said this forum would be dead if it depended on TLX owners for traffic.

BTW With 472BHP the Lexus should be giving the M3/4 base a lot of grief not just the mid level cars.
Except for the fanboys, I don't think anybody is expecting the IS500 F-Sport to really compete on a performance standpoint against the Germans.

The next gen C43 should close the gap with the M340i and ... who knows if there will even be a next gen S4. That being said, the M340i already beats the IS500 in basically every performance category. The only thing the current IS350 has over the M340i is braking distance from 70MPH, but only by a foot ... the heavier V8 in the IS500 will undoubtedly extend that distance giving the nod to the Bimmer. I think the people who will go for the IS500 over any other car will do it for a couple of key reasons ... first and foremost, this thing has proven to be incredibly reliable. Not shocking coming from Lexus. Secondly, V8s are a dying breed, and the way a naturally aspirated motor runs and sounds is very appealing to many. No, it may not be competing against the tech-filled proficiency of the Germans, but if your top priority is beating them at a stoplight, you're looking at the wrong car.

That being said, it'll still pull the pants down on a TLX Type-S ... =Þ
Old 02-22-2021, 10:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,420 Likes on 1,871 Posts
It’s interesting to see the even BMWBlog (BMW fanboys by their own right) are excited about the IS500 and understands why the 2UR V8 is so special.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/02/22/l...ings-v8-power/

However, the Lexus IS500 will have something the M340i does not — boatloads of character. Those who haven’t used Lexus’ atmospheric V8 simply do not understand just how joyful it is to drive. During my LC500 drive, I couldn’t have cared less about performance figures or if any cars around me were faster. My car made the better noise by far and had an engine that was far more enjoyable to use, so I was having more fun. I can’t even imagine what that engine will be like in a small sedan.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
leomio85 (02-22-2021), silverTL6 (04-24-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 11:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Taking this one step further, I wonder if the "Performance" at the end of "IS500 F-Sport Performance" (a mouthful) could foreshadow a cheaper, detuned version without the "Performance" part of the name, much like BMW had the M3 and M3 Competition and Mercedes has AMG and AMG S variants.
I am not familiar with Lexus press release, but the wordings remind me a bit about Q50 Red Sport. The car seems to be all about the engine (nothing wrong about that), and not so much about the all-round performance since nothing about brake/suspension/tuning was mentioned. Feel to me like the ISF development was cancelled midway, so they salvaged what they have done.

Last edited by sonyfever; 02-22-2021 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sonyfever
I am not familiar with Lexus press release, but the wordings remind me a bit about Q50 Red Sport. The car seems to be all about the engine (nothing wrong about that), and not so much about the all-round performance since nothing about brake/suspension/tuning was mentioned. Feel to me like the ISF development was cancelled midway, so they salvaged what they have done.
Saw the Lexus advertisement (the red one on a track doing some bizzard movements). The handling does not look very strong. The chassis/suspension looks a little soft to me for its horsepower, as the body response to sudden movements looks too springy. But the V8 definitely sings!
Old 02-23-2021, 05:31 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Saw the Lexus advertisement (the red one on a track doing some bizzard movements). The handling does not look very strong. The chassis/suspension looks a little soft to me for its horsepower, as the body response to sudden movements looks too springy. But the V8 definitely sings!

From lexus.com

ENHANCED BRAKES

Experience greater control and confidence with the IS 500 F SPORT Performance. It takes the impressive braking performance of the standard IS F SPORT further with additional aerodynamic cooling and larger 14.0-inch two-piece aluminum front rotors and 12.7-inch rear rotors.

ADAPTIVE VARIABLE SUSPENSION

With highly sophisticated sensors that monitor G-forces and adjust damping through every turn, the Adaptive Variable Suspension helps to reduce body lean and sharpen response.

TORSEN® LIMITED-SLIP REAR DIFFERENTIAL

Whether you’re carving corners or attacking straightaways, the IS 500 F SPORT Performance helps you hone your control. It features a Torsen®* limited-slip rear differential for improved handling, traction and straight-line stability.

A 5.0 LITER V8 FOR ALL THE SENSES

The ferocious roar of a naturally aspirated 5.0-liter V8 engine amplified by a stacked quad exhaust. There’s no sound quite like it. The IS 500 F SPORT Performance boasts a full 472 horsepower* at 7,100 rpm. And a blistering 0-to-60 time of just 4.5 seconds.* The result? A pure performance sport sedan unlike anything you’ve heard. Or felt.

THE FIRST OF THE F SPORT PERFORMANCE LINE

Destined to get the world’s attention, the 2022 IS 500 F SPORT Performance marks the debut of the Lexus F SPORT Performance line. In addition to a larger, naturally aspirated 5.0-liter V8 engine for the passionate driving enthusiast, it further sets itself apart from the standard F SPORT models with exclusive dark chrome trim, heart-racing sound, dynamic performance instrumentation and more.

DIGITAL INSTRUMENTATION
Press the start button and keep your eyes on the gauge cluster. In addition to an updated startup animation that’s totally unique to the IS 500 F SPORT Performance, the dynamic digital display moves in concert with a sliding bezel, expanding and retracting readouts when information is accessed.

RACE-INSPIRED DETAILS
Exclusive F SPORT Performance black badging on the heated leather-wrapped steering wheel and door-sill scuff plates. Bold aluminum pedals and footrest. Every interior detail echoes the power under its raised hood.

F SPORT BOLSTERED SPORT SEATS
Enabling you to get the most out of every G, the front sport seats feature a unique foam-injected construction and enhanced bolsters designed to hold you tightly through aggressive turns. Their low position places the driver’s hip point as close as possible to the vehicle’s center of gravity for a more dynamic driving experience.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:57 AM
Pro

Received 497 Likes on 243 Posts
The next C-class with it's all-4-cylinder line up will debut in about an hour (8am ET). Seems relevant as the TLX Type S was bench-marked against the C43 AMG. I'm guessing the replacement (C53 AMG) will leapfrog the M340i, while the lower-strata C400 (or whatever it's called) will likely match the TLX Type S's output...
Old 02-23-2021, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by bilirubin
The next C-class with it's all-4-cylinder line up will debut in about an hour (8am ET). Seems relevant as the TLX Type S was bench-marked against the C43 AMG. I'm guessing the replacement (C53 AMG) will leapfrog the M340i, while the lower-strata C400 (or whatever it's called) will likely match the TLX Type S's output...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRfvXTUFWM4
It's getting really sad for Acura that models developed later are being presented before the Type-S' official announcement. It already feels old, no matter what fans are saying to 'just wait'.
The fact that marketing keeps on changing the info/price on webpage is not encouraging, in fact it seems like they're panicking to make it look better.
The following 2 users liked this post by pyrodan007:
jrzofclay (03-02-2021), leomio85 (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 09:02 AM
Drifting

Received 1,231 Likes on 890 Posts
For me, handling trumps less than stellar engine noise. To be able to have that secure feeling when navigating the tight entry/exit ramps of NJ is worth driving the TLX these days!
Old 02-23-2021, 09:23 AM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
The M340i is the M3 before the G80 M3
LOL that's what i got the light weight 240, feels like it's on some steroids

the 10 speed should play a major role in the 0-60 times as well. I recently did the xhp reflash on the 240, thank god this unit wasn't locked as the ecu is, the shifts are lighting fast like it's been converted to a dct and your lunged into the next gear. i drive my rdx every other day and as i keep driving it I'm like damn Acura you could of tuned this thing a little different and give people what they want. i actually can't wait to drive the Type S so i can put my mind to ease.
The following users liked this post:
04WDPSeDaN (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 11:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks 04WDPSeDaN for the info. I guess I was looking for more. For example, of course the brake rotors need to increase in size to cope with the power, but how about the calipers? Lexus is suspiciously quiet on that part. The adaptive dampers are a given at this price range and level, but notice that nothing about the tunings is mentioned. The body also is a big question mark. I did not read anything about strengthening or extra bracings. In fact, I would say judging by the video, the car's torsional stiffness is not up to 2020 standard.

I would love to be proven wrong and see Lexus outdo Acura in giving enthusiasts an all-round car, but I just don't see the necessary pieces. The reputation on RC-F (how did they mess up the full-blown F car so bad?) probably does not boost my confidence, either.
04WDPSeDaN (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 12:11 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,590 Likes on 956 Posts
The intro and video weren't wow. But I really like the new C Class. MB doesn't disappoint. The last gen C class was a a great car and now the new model looks very promising.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:32 PM

The new C-Class looks sharp, but that giant tablet would be a big turn-off if I was in the market for one. Looks like you have to go into the infotainment for basic HVAC controls. PITA. The upcoming C53 should match the performance of the M340i, or edge it out very slightly. The current C300 actually got slower, surprisingly, despite getting more torque and having the same HP.

Thanks 04WDPSeDaN for the info. I guess I was looking for more. For example, of course the brake rotors need to increase in size to cope with the power, but how about the calipers? Lexus is suspiciously quiet on that part. The adaptive dampers are a given at this price range and level, but notice that nothing about the tunings is mentioned. The body also is a big question mark. I did not read anything about strengthening or extra bracings. In fact, I would say judging by the video, the car's torsional stiffness is not up to 2020 standard.

I would love to be proven wrong and see Lexus outdo Acura in giving enthusiasts an all-round car, but I just don't see the necessary pieces. The reputation on RC-F (how did they mess up the full-blown F car so bad?) probably does not boost my confidence, either.
I don't think they were aiming for a great "sport sedan". With trying to limit overall cost, I think they knew they didn't have anything to really compete against the Germans. So, instead of aiming at them and failing (see: Type-S), they decided to go a different route entirely and make a great GT sedan. Sure, it's small, but it has a comfortable ride, competent enough handling, and a smooth V8 that provides plenty of power on tap. This is why it's an F-Sport and not a full blown F car.

As for braking, the IS350 does 70-0 in 155ft, better than even the M340i (though, only by a foot). The TLX? 177ft. The IS500 only goes up in weight by 143lbs. The larger rotors likely won't help braking in this metric, but it'll help with brake fade after repeated stops. But, with only 143 extra pounds, don't expect that braking distance to go up much. The TLX-S has better brakes, but also larger weight, so if anything, it seems like the better brakes will get it to about the same level as the competition, not exceed it.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
For me, handling trumps less than stellar engine noise. To be able to have that secure feeling when navigating the tight entry/exit ramps of NJ is worth driving the TLX these days!
Any specific interchange? I'm partial to the interchange 9 entry onto the NB truck lanes.

Originally Posted by leomio85
ES500 would be the dream. I personally think the ES350 F-Sport is quite a looker.
That would definitely carry on the tradition of cars like the 3G Taurus SHO and GM LS4 applications.

Old 02-23-2021, 02:07 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by F23A4
Any specific interchange? I'm partial to the interchange 9 entry onto the NB truck lanes.
The jug handles near Rt 4 and 17 are pretty loopy.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:31 PM
Drifting

Anyone have a similar "big tablet" setup that can comment on how it looks with sun glare? I'm surprised more of these screens aren't matte instead of glossy texture.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:16 PM

Mustang Sedan with the 5.0 V8? And a manual?

Hmmmm. Very, very interesting (if true). Although, I can't really picture a stretched out, 4-door Mustang looking very attractive. Who knows, maybe they'll pull it off. If they could put that together in the mid-$40k range ... that's gonna be hard to say no to. Although, I can't stand Ford interiors. I don't know what it is about them that turns me off, but I feel like their interiors are the worst in the industry. My buddy with his Explorer ST thinks I'm crazy, but I just feel like the materials they use and the overall design just looks so cheesy.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:01 PM
AZ Community Team

I wasn't sure where to post this article but this thread might be suitable. it's a great and honest article. one thing that stands out for me: "Ikeda says Acura is still in the process of rebuilding its foundation, but when he's done he expects people to associate Acura with performance. That sure seems ambitious to us, but products like the new TLX are a helpful stepping stone. It also explains why Acura is investing in different platforms to differentiate itself from Honda."
https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/why-acur...180000048.html
Old 03-01-2021, 02:13 PM
Burning Brakes

I wasn't sure where to post this article but this thread might be suitable. it's a great and honest article. one thing that stands out for me: "Ikeda says Acura is still in the process of rebuilding its foundation, but when he's done he expects people to associate Acura with performance. That sure seems ambitious to us, but products like the new TLX are a helpful stepping stone. It also explains why Acura is investing in different platforms to differentiate itself from Honda."
https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/why-acur...180000048.html
Read this article as well and I honestly don't agree with Ikeda on this strategy. It further plunges Acura into old tech territory. Performance and EV are not polar opposites. Plus you can work on them in parallel. Make the inside sporty/luxurious/techy, but think about hybrides in parallel while making EV only "engines". Acura is one of the only brandes that has zero hybrid tech now, NSX doesn't count since it's not used in anything else.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:35 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Read this article as well and I honestly don't agree with Ikeda on this strategy. It further plunges Acura into old tech territory. Performance and EV are not polar opposites. Plus you can work on them in parallel. Make the inside sporty/luxurious/techy, but think about hybrides in parallel while making EV only "engines". Acura is one of the only brandes that has zero hybrid tech now, NSX doesn't count since it's not used in anything else.
I do agree that they have to be proactive. The market is changing rapidly. They better start thinking now. As you said, NSX doesn't count.

Anyway, we will see but at least they are acknowledging that they are struggling and trying to be a performance brand and the TLX is a stepping stone.
pyrodan007 (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 02:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
My new favorite commercial. You have to admit ... a clever tie-in with current events.

The following 3 users liked this post by Tesla1856:
ELIN (03-02-2021), pyrodan007 (03-01-2021), Terragotti (03-07-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 05:02 PM

Um, no. Audi can learn a thing or two from Acura's marketing department ...

Acura made the Integra and NSX and has a racing team. Vis a vis, the MDX is basically a sports car you can take to the track.

My beater Chevy Monte Carlo SS comes from a company that races Team Corvette. Same DNA. Yea, it's FAST ...

^^^ ... another bird-brain marketing ploy by Team Acura that has since been pulled and erased off the internet.

Old 03-02-2021, 05:09 PM
Safety Car

You could say it's that kind of thrill.
leomio85 (03-02-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 01:08 PM
Safety Car

The new base Stinger now has 300hp, and even has some features you'd have to step up to the Advance trim to get. Except for badge snobs and audiophiles, I'd find it hard to justify paying more for a TLX that ends up being less practical, slower, has a worse infotainment system, and potentially less-equipped than the Kia. I'm also really liking the dark green and the Nardo-grey look-alike (Kia calls it Ceramic Grey) paint it offers.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/39793/...rious-upgrades

I'll admit it's kind of silly for a 4-banger like this to have quad exhausts, but I think it's very well done, even better than the Type S quads. It looks integrated into the diffuser and reminds me of the Audi S quads, whereas the Type S looks like it's just hanging underneath the diffuser as if it's an aftermarket mod.

I've test driven the TLX a number of times already, and I've test driven the Stinger GT with the twin-turbo V6, but I'd be very interested to see how this upgraded base model drives.

Last edited by fiatlux; 03-17-2021 at 01:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
pyrodan007 (03-17-2021), YEH (04-23-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 01:12 PM
Drifting

The new base Stinger now has 300hp, and even has some features you'd have to step up to the Advance trim to get. Except for badge snobs and audiophiles, I'd find it hard to justify paying more for a TLX that ends up being less practical, slower, has a worse infotainment system, and potentially less-equipped than the Kia. I'm also really liking the dark green and the Nardo-grey look-alike (Kia calls it Ceramic Grey) paint it offers.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/39793/...rious-upgrades
Agreed. This is definitely an enthusiasts' car! If you pony up to the top GT2 trim, you even get the holoprojector headlights for thousands less than the Type S. I don't think the Type S will touch the Stinger's V6 time of 4.7 sec. If I wasn't so stubborn and accepted paying MSRP, the previous gen GT2 would have been my car instead of the TLX A-Spec (for nearly the same price).
YEH (04-23-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 01:21 PM
AZ Community Team

Agreed. This is definitely an enthusiasts' car! If you pony up to the top GT2 trim, you even get the holoprojector headlights for thousands less than the Type S. I don't think the Type S will touch the Stinger's V6 time of 4.7 sec. If I wasn't so stubborn and accepted paying MSRP, the previous gen GT2 would have been my car instead of the TLX A-Spec (for nearly the same price).

Let's hope we see many of these Stinger on the street. I have seen 5 max in my life if I am not mistaken. I see a white one at the dealer next to my house for the past 12 months. Not moved one inch up or down lol! Numbers won't lie....with all these features and right price, Stinger should take over the sedan market!
Old 03-17-2021, 01:25 PM
Safety Car

Let's hope we see many of these Stinger on the street. I have seen 5 max in my life if I am not mistaken. I see a white one at the dealer next to my house for the past 12 months. Not moved one inch up or down lol! Numbers won't lie....with all these features and right price, Stinger should take over the sedan market!
Probably depends on where you live. Here in California I see quite a few of them around. For that matter I also see a lot of Golf R's, Mini JCWs, and other cars that also don't sell well nationally but sell well regionally.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:26 PM
Drifting

I see plenty of Stingers in the NE US. When I was shopping for them, I got depressed by MSRP dealer quotes for new and near-new pricing on used Stingers (if you could find one!). I "defaulted" back to Acura and claimed some additional lease miles in the process.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:45 PM
AZ Community Team

I see plenty of Stingers in the NE US. When I was shopping for them, I got depressed by MSRP dealer quotes for new and near-new pricing on used Stingers (if you could find one!). I "defaulted" back to Acura and claimed some additional lease miles in the process.
Nice happy to hear that there are more stingers sold in NE

But based on the data, Kia sold 1,437 stingers this year so far. And 1300 units were sold in Canada for 2020. So these numbers are far from good in my humble opinion.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Read this article as well and I honestly don't agree with Ikeda on this strategy. It further plunges Acura into old tech territory. Performance and EV are not polar opposites. Plus you can work on them in parallel. Make the inside sporty/luxurious/techy, but think about hybrides in parallel while making EV only "engines". Acura is one of the only brands that has zero hybrid tech now, NSX doesn't count since it's not used in anything else.
Performance brands are turning the lite-hybrid into the 60ft supercharger. By 2022 all the German performance cars will have the 48 volt boost motor in the drivetrain.
pyrodan007 (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts

But based on the data, Kia sold 1,437 stingers this year so far. And 1300 units were sold in Canada for 2020. So these numbers are far from good in my humble opinion.
Honestly, Stinger sightings in Central NJ are few and far between. Granted, my neck of the woods is still largely dominated by Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura products with a strong showing from BMW/Audi. (re: Somerset County)

Snowbirding it down here in SW Florida for the past month or so, I see far more Stingers (not to mention Hyundai/Kia products in general) than I ever have in central Jersey.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Performance brands are turning the lite-hybrid into the 60ft supercharger. By 2022 all the German performance cars will have the 48 volt boost motor in the drivetrain.
What's pretty striking is in one corner Audi just announced no new development of gas engines for the future (minor tweaks only), and in the other corner Acura/Honda is about to release their first V6T brand new non-hybrid engine. One is still catching up while the other is thinking ahead (... Dieselgate aside ...)
Old 03-17-2021, 02:47 PM
Drifting

No, they're not. Misery (of sedans) loves company!
Tony Pac (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 04:28 PM
AZ Community Team

No, they're not. Misery (of sedans) loves company!
I personally believe sedans will be limited in the future. The SUV market is crazy and I won't be surprised if Acura just keep one sedan and add two more SUVs (like CDX and a ZDX). I don't hear about the ILX replacement at all. I know Acura is focusing a lot on the new MDX and their Type S but stil..
Old 03-17-2021, 11:27 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts

I'll admit it's kind of silly for a 4-banger like this to have quad exhausts, but I think it's very well done, even better than the Type S quads. It looks integrated into the diffuser and reminds me of the Audi S quads, whereas the Type S looks like it's just hanging underneath the diffuser as if it's an aftermarket mod.

I've test driven the TLX a number of times already, and I've test driven the Stinger GT with the twin-turbo V6, but I'd be very interested to see how this upgraded base model drives.
It's unfortunate that the Stinger doesn't sell in higher numbers at like 600-700 units a month. It's a nice car for its price and it has all the basic ingredients you'd expect from a well sorted sports sedan - Pilot Sport 4 tires, LSD, RWD chassis, turbo 6 engine. Objectively, it produces some good numbers too (12.9s@111mph, 156ft for 70-0mph, 0.93g). It also has tons of standard features.

On the other hand, from the reviews, the Stinger is not without its shortcomings especially when it comes to handling.

Here are some quotes from Car and Driver:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...d-test-review/
Unfortunately, when the asphalt writhes and your right foot goes down hard, the Stinger does sometimes float like a butterfly—and not in a good way. We experienced several unnerving sideways twitches while traversing nasty heaves in the middle of fast corners that convinced us that firmer rear damper tuning was needed. Despite the car’s adjustable shocks and multiple driving modes, we couldn’t find a setting that endowed the Stinger’s chassis with the poise and feedback that cements the driver/car connection. What’s more, the throttle was too jumpy in Sport mode for smooth midcorner power applications, the transmission was slow to respond to calls for downshifts from the steering-wheel paddles, and the engine sounds merely ordinary in its upper rev range.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t-test-review/
But lean aggressively on it through a meandering back road, and the edges of the Hyundai Kia chassis-tuning strategy begin to fray. Communication through the electrically assisted steering wheel lacks the granular precision of most any Audi sedan. Press the Stinger on a demanding road, and its acumen diminishes as the limits approach. Midcorner heaves and crests reveal a front/rear damping imbalance that’s unnervingly exposed near the ragged edge. Even in their stiffest setting, the rear dampers fail to adequately control the Stinger’s rear-end movement, affording its driver the opportunity to experience the suspension’s full range of geometry changes during cornering and acceleration. Perceptibly awkward pitch and dive motions accompany acceleration and braking when pushing the car hard.
Kia, for its part, admits that the Stinger’s ride prioritizes comfort over ultimate performance, and that’s not a bad thing for a self-proclaimed GT car. Avoid the edge of its limits and it will serve you well, doling out a touring-level ride appropriate for its cruise-missile status on the open road. It is indeed comfortable, but it’s not the suspended-by-clouds feeling you’ll find in its upmarket competition.
The GT’s seats are soft and wide and covered in nappa leather, but they don’t offer striking material quality, supportive bolstering, or stunning beauty. It’s a theme that carries throughout the Stinger’s interior, which is unobjectionable but a level below the premium sedans whose numbers the Stinger matches in performance testing.
Despite being quick at both going and stopping, the Stinger lacks the feel, finish, and immersive experience of the premium mid-size players.
On the other hand, despite its porky dimensions and weight, the TLX seems to excel in handling with genuinely good tuning without sacrificing ride comfort.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/
Impressive underpinnings, standout looks, good value.
The chassis is also a major differentiator. Set up and engineered for the handling needs of the performance-focused Type S model that will launch in spring of 2021, the structure is stiff, with perfectly dialed-in chassis tuning.
The base car's nonadjustable suspension tuning strikes us as just right. Remember when BMWs used to have one excellent setup? The regular TLX is like that.
We all know the shortcomings of the TLX 2.0T - heavy, not the fastest in the segment, low-grip tires, not the best transmission in the segment, average rear seat room. However, mount a set of summer tires and you will have a good handling sedan that drives well and fun to drive. The chassis is a gem.
The following 2 users liked this post by iforyou:
F23A4 (03-18-2021), Legend2TL (03-18-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 07:11 AM
Drifting

^^^^^^^
We should be comparing the '21 TLX against the '22 Stinger since that will be current gen to current gen. Reviews on the newer Stinger should be out shortly to see if they addressed the handling shortcomings.

I think the Stinger not selling well is part of the overall "no one buys sedans anymore" issue. Nearly everything KIA makes lately is turning to gold, including their new minivan the Carnival, which commands MSRP or above already (the base model commands 2% above MSRP in my area already!). I'm sure the fact that it looks like a stretched out SUV (aka Ford Flex) helps with sales.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:37 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
Honestly, Stinger sightings in Central NJ are few and far between. Granted, my neck of the woods is still largely dominated by Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura products with a strong showing from BMW/Audi. (re: Somerset County)

Snowbirding it down here in SW Florida for the past month or so, I see far more Stingers (not to mention Hyundai/Kia products in general) than I ever have in central Jersey.
In North NJ you see Stingers often.

Originally Posted by iforyou
It's unfortunate that the Stinger doesn't sell in higher numbers at like 600-700 units a month. It's a nice car for its price and it has all the basic ingredients you'd expect from a well sorted sports sedan - Pilot Sport 4 tires, LSD, RWD chassis, turbo 6 engine. Objectively, it produces some good numbers too (12.9s@111mph, 156ft for 70-0mph, 0.93g). It also has tons of standard features.

On the other hand, from the reviews, the Stinger is not without its shortcomings especially when it comes to handling.

Here are some quotes from Car and Driver:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...d-test-review/

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t-test-review/

On the other hand, despite its porky dimensions and weight, the TLX seems to excel in handling with genuinely good tuning without sacrificing ride comfort.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

We all know the shortcomings of the TLX 2.0T - heavy, not the fastest in the segment, low-grip tires, not the best transmission in the segment, average rear seat room. However, mount a set of summer tires and you will have a good handling sedan that drives well and fun to drive. The chassis is a gem.

If the theory here is to change parts then the same could be said with the Stinger if you change the suspension to coils or better springs. For the stinger, it's available with a ton of additional aftermarket support. Tires are available regardless of how new the car is. One has been proven and nearing it's end cycle, while the other hasn't been tested by anyone other than Acura.

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX vs The Competition