2021 Acura TLX vs The Competition

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 07:41 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,613 Likes on 971 Posts
Doug de Maro came up with a video that Infiniti will go bankrupt. He may be right but not totally. Infiniti is shutting down dealers and asking to combine Nissan and Infiniti under the same roof to cut cost. But at the same time, they are coming up with the new QX60, which looks good and a beefed up Pathfinder. So, I do see some hope for Infiniti to survive but it will be exactly what their COO, Gupta said: Infiniti will be Nissan Plus.

I think they will have 3-4 vehicles like Acura.
QX50
QX60
Q50 or a new sedan not sure.
Q60 will be killed by end of this year
Perhaps a crossover like their QX30

Also, Infiniti left most of the European market. They will focus on NA and China. Infiniti's gold days are gone....G35 and FX...both vehicles were amazing!
Old 09-22-2021, 08:00 AM
Car Enthusiast

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
He asked what it was - told him it was a StingRay - response "Gramps a StingRay is a fast car, what kind of fish is this?" Strange things that happen. My oldest grandson caught a 4ft Shark as his first fish about 15 years ago. All the grown-ups caught regular non interesting fish in both cases.
StingRay is actually good if you know how to cook it. White meat, bones are like cartilage. A lot of Asian folks love that.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:07 AM
Car Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Doug de Maro came up with a video that Infiniti will go bankrupt. He may be right but not totally. Infiniti is shutting down dealers and asking to combine Nissan and Infiniti under the same roof to cut cost. But at the same time, they are coming up with the new QX60, which looks good and a beefed up Pathfinder. So, I do see some hope for Infiniti to survive but it will be exactly what their COO, Gupta said: Infiniti will be Nissan Plus.

I think they will have 3-4 vehicles like Acura.
QX50
QX60
Q50 or a new sedan not sure.
Q60 will be killed by end of this year
Perhaps a crossover like their QX30

Also, Infiniti left most of the European market. They will focus on NA and China. Infiniti's gold days are gone....G35 and FX...both vehicles were amazing!
I still miss my 04 G35 Coupe 6MT, my first MT car that gave me joy every time I drove it until had to let it go. Sold it at 142K miles on the original clutch. Anyway, Inifiniti went downhill when they changed the G/M/FX to Q, but if they fix those things we mentioned, customers will come back to them.
The following users liked this post:
Tony Pac (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 09:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by vhtran
StingRay is actually good if you know how to cook it. White meat, bones are like cartilage. A lot of Asian folks love that.
He is 5 going on 6 so we took out the stingers so he could hold it then released it. Was a first time fishing for him so we released all that we caught. Put them in a 5 gallon bucket so he could see the different species up close then dumped it overboard & refilled the bucket for the next batch.

About 40 fish over 2 hours with four fishing including him. We rigged him with a double hook setup & he pulled in 2 at once a few times. Was a great day for him & we stayed in the intracoastal waterway in a small 21ft Carolina skiff so it was very calm except for wakes that rolled the boat. He had no trouble with the boat rocking so will take him out next year in the offshore boat & see how he does.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 09-22-2021 at 09:08 AM.
vhtran (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 10:05 AM
AZ Community Team

I still miss my 04 G35 Coupe 6MT, my first MT car that gave me joy every time I drove it until had to let it go. Sold it at 142K miles on the original clutch. Anyway, Inifiniti went downhill when they changed the G/M/FX to Q, but if they fix those things we mentioned, customers will come back to them.
G35 was amazing. I was young and couldn't afford to buy one but every time I drove my girlfriend's dad car, it was a treat. However, one time, I got stuck in the snow really bad. He bought the first year model and the G35X wasn't available at the time. The car was a nightmare for Quebec drivers in winter.
Old 09-22-2021, 12:36 PM
Car Enthusiast

G35 was amazing. I was young and couldn't afford to buy one but every time I drove my girlfriend's dad car, it was a treat. However, one time, I got stuck in the snow really bad. He bought the first year model and the G35X wasn't available at the time. The car was a nightmare for Quebec drivers in winter.
hahaha, I know exactly how that felt, and with the summer's tires, my friends had to push my car out of his driveway with barely an inch of snow.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:11 PM
AZ Community Team

hahaha, I know exactly how that felt, and with the summer's tires, my friends had to push my car out of his driveway with barely an inch of snow.
I know...I had to ask 4-5 neighbors to come and help me. I regretted to even drive it that day. But that said, rear wheel drive is not good for places like Montreal.
vhtran (09-27-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 03:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by jwtarbaj
They aren't ditching the CVT. They got feedback about certain vehicles and are adjusting those specifically, Pathfinder anyone. Had tons of CVT failures and it until last generation was still a real truck. This new model is putting it back into a real truck rather than a tall car.

All those hybrid utility whatever vehicles(Muranos and Rogues etc) will keep running that CVT because it gets good mileage.
It seems more likely to me that they will update other vehicles when they introduce a new generation. Could be wrong of course.

I agree on hybrids. That is very common on many hybrids.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts
I went to test drive a Q60 coupe 5 years ago or so. I wasn't bad but the interior I recall seemed pretty dated back then. They also offered a really crap trade in price so it made it easy to walk away.
vhtran (09-27-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 09:39 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,019 Likes on 1,416 Posts
So I'm rather late to this discussion, but I've been hearing a Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing calling my name recently. Yeah, optioned out it is nearly $15,000 more than a TLX Type-S, but the Caddy is RWD, smaller, lighter, has gobs more power, AND has an honest-to-god manual transmission; I mean, what's not to like?
Old 09-23-2021, 02:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by horseshoez
So I'm rather late to this discussion, but I've been hearing a Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing calling my name recently. Yeah, optioned out it is nearly $15,000 more than a TLX Type-S, but the Caddy is RWD, smaller, lighter, has gobs more power, AND has an honest-to-god manual transmission; I mean, what's not to like?
If it’s calling your name and you don’t have any compelling reasons not to, buy it. I want a manual transmission, booming V8. The options are almost gone. I’d love to buy a Mustang with that combination, but I have some reasons why it’s a tough fit right now. I have three motorcycles which go from fast to stupid fast, and my wife does not drive a manual so it rules out being able to swap cars with her when I need an SUV or I need to take hers in for service. I hope I can figure it out, but don’t see a good plan yet that does not involve getting rid of the bikes. But that’s not happening any time soon. Somehow I don’t get any sympathy from my wife!
Old 09-23-2021, 02:47 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by jjsC5
If it’s calling your name and you don’t have any compelling reasons not to, buy it. I want a manual transmission, booming V8. The options are almost gone. I’d love to buy a Mustang with that combination, but I have some reasons why it’s a tough fit right now. I have three motorcycles which go from fast to stupid fast, and my wife does not drive a manual so it rules out being able to swap cars with her when I need an SUV or I need to take hers in for service. I hope I can figure it out, but don’t see a good plan yet that does not involve getting rid of the bikes. But that’s not happening any time soon. Somehow I don’t get any sympathy from my wife!
LOL, my wife comes from the other side of the spectrum; back when our kids were little and our family was growing, we were kind of forced down the minivan route; she asked, "Can we get one with a manual transmission?"

"Uhhh," I stammered, "no; not available that way."

"Then I'm not driving it; you're driving it!"

The following 2 users liked this post by horseshoez:
ELIN (09-23-2021), jjsC5 (09-24-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 04:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Only thing not to like is that its a GM product. I know its a different vehicle but we just got a 2017 CTS-V sport and I opened the door and immediately it screamed cheap to me. Maybe the newer vehicles in their lineup are nicer and especially at the near 70k price range.
Old 09-23-2021, 05:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
Only thing not to like is that its a GM product. I know its a different vehicle but we just got a 2017 CTS-V sport and I opened the door and immediately it screamed cheap to me. Maybe the newer vehicles in their lineup are nicer and especially at the near 70k price range.
Although I agree, I personally didn't feel like it was any worse (or better) than the Acuras of the era. I think both have made improvements to their interior spaces since ... though I'm sure if any company can make their interiors rattle worse than Acura's, it's GM ...
Nexx (09-23-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 05:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Although I agree, I personally didn't feel like it was any worse (or better) than the Acuras of the era. I think both have made improvements to their interior spaces since ... though I'm sure if any company can make their interiors rattle worse than Acura's, it's GM ...
my one experience with a GM product really ruined it for me but im always open to changing my mind.
Old 09-24-2021, 01:08 AM
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
3rd generation CTS fit and finish is actually excellent, maybe you felt it was "cheap" because is very light, a selling point of that car.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:09 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife has wanted a Cadillac for several years. The new CT5 in the dark purplish color with the dark brown interior was right in her sights. Then we went to the local dealer and got inside one. First thing she said was the look and feel of the interior materials are no more luxury than that 2005 Chevy trailblazer you made me drive for 10 years! I had to agree so now we are narrowed down to a Genesis G80 or Acura TLX.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Old 09-25-2021, 09:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Lately, I’ve become really impressed with what Hyundai and Genesis are doing but Genesis needs to replicate the GV70 interior into the G70 to bring it up a notch (or maybe several). The gear shift lever also doesn’t look cool enough. Exterior looks really good though. Saw one yesterday on my way home from the office and it stands out so much in a sea of Bimmers and Audis. Just my two cents.
The following 3 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
BEAR-AvHistory (09-25-2021), Nexx (09-25-2021), vhtran (09-27-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 09:26 AM
Car Enthusiast

I know...I had to ask 4-5 neighbors to come and help me. I regretted to even drive it that day. But that said, rear wheel drive is not good for places like Montreal.
Mine with winter sport tires had been to Montreal so many weekends. Young, stupid, and think with the other head. I didn't save much back then. I still love Montreal though.
Tony Pac (09-27-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 09:35 AM
Car Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Lately, I’ve become really impressed with what Hyundai and Genesis are doing but Genesis needs to replicate the GV70 interior into the G70 to bring it up a notch (or maybe several). The gear shift lever also doesn’t look cool enough. Exterior looks really good though. Saw one yesterday on my way home from the office and it stands out so much in a sea of Bimmers and Audis. Just my two cents.
I am not being biased (I don't like lever-less, has one and few in the family), but I think the Genesis would look nicer if it has the gear lever like some of the Audi.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:31 AM
Latent car nut

Mine with winter sport tires had been to Montreal so many weekends. Young, stupid, and think with the other head. I didn't save much back then. I still love Montreal though.
I had a RWD 530i Sport Package (which came with summer tires); the car couldn't even make it up my driveway with a half centimeter of snow on the surface. I put some wither tires on it and the car was literally unstoppable, even with snow so deep the front bumper became a snow plow. I have no idea why so many folks insist the absolutely need to have AWD.
vhtran (09-27-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 01:06 PM
Suzuka Master

I had a RWD 530i Sport Package (which came with summer tires); the car couldn't even make it up my driveway with a half centimeter of snow on the surface. I put some wither tires on it and the car was literally unstoppable, even with snow so deep the front bumper became a snow plow. I have no idea why so many folks insist the absolutely need to have AWD.
Was a time you pretty much had to be in the Army to have a 4X4. Drove for about 28 years Jersey Shore to Wall St in MT shifted BB '67 StingRay or 280ZX. RWD with snows for mid winter. Usually an after Thanksgiving to before Easter thing. Don't know what the NJDMV regs are now but for a lot of the time studs were legal so even glazed ice was not a problem.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
I've seen a handful around here, and they are quite sharp. They definitely look better in person than in pictures/videos. Type-S is certainly a good looking car too driving down the road ... just wish they had more performance to match the looks.
MarcoTLX (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 10:45 AM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 364 Likes on 241 Posts
I've seen a handful around here, and they are quite sharp. They definitely look better in person than in pictures/videos. Type-S is certainly a good looking car too driving down the road ... just wish they had more performance to match the looks.
luckily a tune should help mitigate that somewhat, cause man the 2021 TLX commands road presence like no other my eyes always gazes on the design whenever I see one going by or so
Old 09-28-2021, 02:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MarcoTLX
luckily a tune should help mitigate that somewhat, cause man the 2021 TLX commands road presence like no other my eyes always gazes on the design whenever I see one going by or so
I too am eager to see what a tune will do to the car, but I’m going to temper my expectations. I’m still under the impression the turbo is undersized to prioritize quick spooling over outright power and speed. I still believe a turbo swap is going to be needed to make some good power out of the motor. Then comes the question of how much can the drivetrain handle, and how much extra room did the engineers leave in the fuel system to allow for increased power.

Anyone hear any updates from any of the tuners? Seems like Hondata has all but abandoned the TLX. Zero updates from P2R.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:15 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Was a time you pretty much had to be in the Army to have a 4X4. Drove for about 28 years Jersey Shore to Wall St in MT shifted BB '67 StingRay or 280ZX. RWD with snows for mid winter. Usually an after Thanksgiving to before Easter thing. Don't know what the NJDMV regs are now but for a lot of the time studs were legal so even glazed ice was not a problem.
I was the same way, drove for years switching to snows in the winter, with an assortment of high performance cars RWD with MTs. Never had a problem.
Once the modern all-season tires came out I quit using snow tires. As long as the snow wasn't deep enough the car would ride up on the all seasons were good enough.
My only 4WDs have been a couple of Suburbans we've owned over the years to pull a horse trailer. You need 4wd to pull five tons of horses, tack and trailer on wet grass and mud.

I just ordered my very first AWD sedan to get all the features I wanted: an M550ix.
The following 2 users liked this post by mike03a3:
BEAR-AvHistory (09-29-2021), horseshoez (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 04:31 PM
AZ Community Team

The Integra 🔥🔥🔥🔥
a35tl (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 04:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
New Integra with be a hatchback, nice! If this is what the TLX3.0 could be with hybrid engine, looks promising.

CNET: The new Acura Integra will be a hatchback.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/a...chback-teaser/
leomio2.0 (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 09:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I am very hopeful that the new Integra will be a hot car. I love the fact that it's going to be a 4 door with a sport back. The sneak peeks look very good. I really hope they keep it reasonably lightweight and that they give it some decent power, at least in the Type S variant. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:08 PM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by a35tl
I am very hopeful that the new Integra will be a hot car. I love the fact that it's going to be a 4 door with a sport back. The sneak peeks look very good. I really hope they keep it reasonably lightweight and that they give it some decent power, at least in the Type S variant. Fingers crossed.
I think they will correct all of the flaws they had on the tlx into the intergra. I do remember reading from somewhere that the Integra is there new flagship sedan so think it will have a lot of nice features.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:10 PM
Burning Brakes

I think it’s going to slot between the Si and the Type-R. I’m calling it now, the more I think about it, the more I solidly feel that there’s no way in Hell Honda is giving Acura the Type-R motor. It’s going to be the same 2.0T found in the TLX and RDX. Nor will Acura want a lower model being as fast or faster than the TLX-S. Still a good amount of power for something that will likely weigh ~3.3-3.4k lbs. plus, it already has a well established aftermarket for those wanting more power.

The biggest thing is pricing. If they price it slightly below or right at what a CTR goes for, I think they’ll have a home run. Problem is, we all know that dealers are going to be asking absurd mark-ups for it like with the TLX-S and CTR. At least initially. Silver lining is that perhaps a TLX-S can be had for a discount, as the hype will have been averted towards the MDX-S and Integra-S by then.

Then again, they can always surprise us with a boneheaded move of putting in a 1.5T with CVT.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
I think it’s going to slot between the Si and the Type-R. I’m calling it now, the more I think about it, the more I solidly feel that there’s no way in Hell Honda is giving Acura the Type-R motor. It’s going to be the same 2.0T found in the TLX and RDX. Nor will Acura want a lower model being as fast or faster than the TLX-S. Still a good amount of power for something that will likely weigh ~3.3-3.4k lbs. plus, it already has a well established aftermarket for those wanting more power.

The biggest thing is pricing. If they price it slightly below or right at what a CTR goes for, I think they’ll have a home run. Problem is, we all know that dealers are going to be asking absurd mark-ups for it like with the TLX-S and CTR. At least initially. Silver lining is that perhaps a TLX-S can be had for a discount, as the hype will have been averted towards the MDX-S and Integra-S by then.

Then again, they can always surprise us with a boneheaded move of putting in a 1.5T with CVT.
Even the 2.0T might be too much if they want to protect the Type S. Much like how the M2 has to be slower than the M3/M4 which has to be slower than the M5/M6, I suspect they're going to hamstring an Integra Type S to make sure the TLX Type S is still the top dog. They'll probably make up some marketing mumbo jumbo about how the Integra is still cheaper and the more dynamic and sporty and a real "driver's car" compared to the competition to rationalize that.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
I love the fact that it's going to be a 4 door with a sport back.
Acura sure likes building new vehicles with 4-doors. Oh wait, no Honda Civic coupe either any more? Wow.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mike03a3
I was the same way, drove for years switching to snows in the winter, with an assortment of high performance cars RWD with MTs. Never had a problem.
Once the modern all-season tires came out I quit using snow tires. As long as the snow wasn't deep enough the car would ride up on the all seasons were good enough.
My only 4WDs have been a couple of Suburbans we've owned over the years to pull a horse trailer. You need 4wd to pull five tons of horses, tack and trailer on wet grass and mud.

I just ordered my very first AWD sedan to get all the features I wanted: an M550ix.
My trucks & SUV's, current '98 Ranger 4X4, 2020 Suburban 4X4, have always been AWD & all the cars RWD. First AWD car, M4C convertible, in the family is at stage 150 (build started) as of 9/24/21 in the BMW tracking report. Performance cars like the M550ix & M4C need it for traction when the throttle is down. How was the M550ix pricing, just got chump change off MSRP with the M4C. Worse deal I ever made on a car.

Great demo of well rounded package vs raw power is a Throttle House M5 625BHP vs Hellcat RedEye 717BHP

Even with AWD the summer performance tires will not move an inch when there is any snow coverage. Where is your M550ix at in the BMW tracking report? That 4.4L Twin Tubro V8 makes a really great noise at WOT. Like it better than the 3.0L I6 Twin Turbos exhaust in the M4C. Can't beat a V8 for a good sound.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

I am not being biased (I don't like lever-less, has one and few in the family), but I think the Genesis would look nicer if it has the gear lever like some of the Audi.
And the Audi would look better if it had the G70’s window sticker. Cars are all about compromise. People nit pick the details. But at some point we all just decide which tradeoffs we are willing to make.
The following 3 users liked this post by jjsC5:
BEAR-AvHistory (09-29-2021), MarcoTLX (09-29-2021), vhtran (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 10:20 AM
Car Enthusiast

*side note* ... Brought the Q5 in for service today and man, they have a good amount of shortage. The showroom is empty!

Here's a before (2020) and after photo (2021)

The following 2 users liked this post by vhtran:
BEAR-AvHistory (09-29-2021), pyrodan007 (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 12:55 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
(snip)
First AWD car, M4C convertible, in the family is at stage 150 (build started) as of 9/24/21 in the BMW tracking report. Performance cars like the M550ix & M4C need it for traction when the throttle is down. How was the M550ix pricing, just got chump change off MSRP with the M4C. Worse deal I ever made on a car.
(snip)
Where is your M550ix at in the BMW tracking report? That 4.4L Twin Turbo V8 makes a really great noise at WOT. Like it better than the 3.0L I6 Twin Turbos exhaust in the M4C. Can't beat a V8 for a good sound.
Sadly, straight MSRP. Like you, worse deal ever. No dealer additions, but no discount either. Lack of vehicles is killing them. Local dealers even put CPOs on the floor so it doesn't look completely empty.
It's an Individual Manufactur M vehicle, so at the moment it's in a three week backlog in München awaiting evaluation and approval of my special requests. At least I have a production number.
Once approved it will take longer than a vanilla M550ix for the actual production, I don't expect to see it this year.

Old 09-29-2021, 01:24 PM
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts
I know that people want to rag on Acura "marketing" and greedy dealers for ADM on the TLX Type S, but at this point, the overall car market might be dictating some, not all but some of that ADM instead of just purely hype.

Did I hear correctly that even something like the CR-V has some sort of ADM now, due to the chip shortages?
Old 09-29-2021, 01:36 PM
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by whiteGSR
I know that people want to rag on Acura "marketing" and greedy dealers for ADM on the TLX Type S, but at this point, the overall car market might be dictating some, not all but some of that ADM instead of just purely hype.

Did I hear correctly that even something like the CR-V has some sort of ADM now, due to the chip shortages?
Was shopping for an Accord last month for a family member and a few dealers were $1,500-2,500 over MSRP, all of the others weren't budging from sticker.

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX vs The Competition