When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Ding! Ding! Ding! You hit the nail right on it's head.

We are trying to learn from why the horse has dropped dead prematurely.

All ECU's/controllers need firmware (= program codes for hardware) to be able to function.

So even if Nissan has 100 ECU's in a decuple decplex fault tolerant system, poor/glitchy firmware programming (for the ECU's) is still gonna cause terminal failure when all the right conditions are met for glitches to pop up.

But why US military products (e.g., the F-16 you brought up) are so reliable, comparatively speaking, because there are Military Standards that contractors must strictly adhere to in firmware development, firmware verification/testing, and system integration, in order to minimize, if not eliminate, firmware bugs/glitches.

In addition, multiple levels of redundancy in firmware programming are required in critical operation sub-systems, to safeguard firmware from causing unintentional faults and runaway issues.

All these involve considerably resources (manpower, time, and $) which not only adds unnecessary cost but is also an overkill for developing consumer products such as automobiles.

Not even the biggest motor company in Japan (Toyota) develops it's products using US military standards, let alone the smallish Nissan Motor Co.

But I must admit that mechanical systems do also fail at times. But when they fail, it is because some parts broke.

But when poor/glitchy programming causing ECU's to fail, more than likely it is a random come-and-go process, and is extremely hard to replicate. Good luck trying to show randomly occurring faults to dealership techs.

Worst still is that everything will go back normal afterwards, only lurking until the next failure to hit home, when all the right firmware-program-flow conditions are met once again to cause another glitch in the unknown future.
Military grade devices don't fail? I just read an article about a drone hitting a navy ship.

Stuff happens. Unanticipated stuff happens and the designers and engineers learn from it.

I would have no qualms trusting my life to a Q50. I'm sure the systems are 99% safe. On every car the systems are 99% safe, there always will be incidents that happen that make you scratch your head.

I don't know what's worse, not being able to steer or having a transmission fall out of the car. Stuff happens.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
And they said the horseless carriage was just a passing fad & if god intended man to fly he would have given them wings.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
And they said the horseless carriage was just a passing fad & if god intended man to fly he would have given them wings.
I predicted personal jet packs would be commonplace in 3rd grade by 00' when asked to draw the future; 13 years later and technology continues to fail my expectations
Old 11-18-2013, 01:34 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01

I would have no qualms trusting my life to a Q50. I'm sure the systems are 99% safe. On every car the systems are 99% safe, there always will be incidents that happen that make you scratch your head.

I don't know what's worse, not being able to steer or having a transmission fall out of the car. Stuff happens.
Talk is cheap. It doesn't mean anything by saying "trusting my life to a Q50", when you're still standing on the sideline, without carrying on the potential impact.

Go and prove yourself. Buy the Q50 with DAS, and drive it everyday.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Talk is cheap. It doesn't mean anything by saying "trusting my life to a Q50", when you're still standing on the sideline, without carrying on the potential impact.

Go and prove yourself. Buy the Q50 with DAS, and drive it everyday.
We're a little early for that...not ready to part with a car to get a Q just to prove a point. Next year we will see.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Turbo NSX! Turbo Civic Type R! The TLX better have some performance...
Old 11-19-2013, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

"Tetsuo Iwamura, CEO of American Honda Motor Co., declined to say which of the automaker's U.S. nameplates would get which engines. But Iwamura, who also heads Honda's automobile operations globally, said the automaker plans to switch its existing gasoline engines to turbos "as much as possible."

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#ixzz2l8FWr6Gt
Old 11-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I have been saying for a while that I suspect the TLX will have a 4 turbo and a V6 and this could be the proof we needed
Old 11-19-2013, 06:41 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I have been saying for a while that I suspect the TLX will have a 4 turbo and a V6 and this could be the proof we needed
TSX Sportswagon w/turbo 4, SH-AWD, and 6MT! I dare you Acura
Old 11-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
From the article MtnMan posted :

The 2.0-liter turbo will debut first, in mid-2015, in a European-market Civic given the Type R designation. Matsumochi said Honda is studying U.S. use.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Spring

How Honda Will Fix Acura
Much of Acura's sedan revival, though, hinges on the new TLX sedan, which replaces the current TSX and TL sedans. That will whittle the lineup down to 3 distinct cars: 1 compact, 1 midsize, and 1 full-size. Iwamura confirmed that the all-new TLX will debut in the spring.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
http://wot.motortrend.com/1311_how_h...otor_show.html

OK how Honda will fix Acura, yeah and they say TLX in spring, at least they know their sedans need work. They acknowledge the ILX and RLX are not doing well, dah! They seem to know what is hurting them, they just do not know how to fix it. Honestly the NSX, while nice, is a waste of resources and distracts them from fixing the sedans.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Kinda sounds like "how Obama will fix healthcare"
Old 11-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by KeithL
http://wot.motortrend.com/1311_how_h...otor_show.html

OK how Honda will fix Acura, yeah and they say TLX in spring, at least they know their sedans need work. They acknowledge the ILX and RLX are not doing well, dah! They seem to know what is hurting them, they just do not know how to fix it. Honestly the NSX, while nice, is a waste of resources and distracts them from fixing the sedans.
The comments from the readers sound very familiar.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:40 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by MtnMan
"Tetsuo Iwamura, CEO of American Honda Motor Co., declined to say which of the automaker's U.S. nameplates would get which engines. But Iwamura, who also heads Honda's automobile operations globally, said the automaker plans to switch its existing gasoline engines to turbos "as much as possible."

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#ixzz2l8FWr6Gt
Excellent, it's better late than never for Honda/Acura to bring on turbo engines for big horsepower, just like all other top automakers, such as Audi and BMW, are so successfully in achieving.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
How Honda Will Fix Acura
Much of Acura's sedan revival, though, hinges on the new TLX sedan, which replaces the current TSX and TL sedans. That will whittle the lineup down to 3 distinct cars: 1 compact, 1 midsize, and 1 full-size. Iwamura confirmed that the all-new TLX will debut in the spring.
So the RLX and TLX are both coming out in "Spring"? Wonder if that means one is a June release and the other is a March/April release? Ugh.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Excellent, it's better late than never for Honda/Acura to bring on turbo engines for big horsepower, just like all other top automakers, such as Audi and BMW, are so successfully in achieving.
They have seen the light! Now with Honda's excellent engine designs I am pumped to see how they move this to Acura.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:36 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
So the RLX and TLX are both coming out in "Spring"? Wonder if that means one is a June release and the other is a March/April release? Ugh.
Yeah, what does debut mean exactly? Order banks/production open?
Old 11-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Acura risks more people like me, I gve up and moved on. If my Audi is reliable I doubt I will be back to Acura.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Acura risks more people like me, I gve up and moved on. If my Audi is reliable I doubt I will be back to Acura.
...and keep me posted on the reliability of your Audi. I was driving this morning and saw a white Audi S5 and let me just say that I nearly went wild!! What a gorgeous car.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:45 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I've noticed that Audi are doing much better with Consumer Reports than they used to do, and their talking heads mention the A6 as the main reason.

Audi options list confuse me, however. They're almost as bad as Porsche! :-)
Old 11-21-2013, 03:03 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
"Spring" means the TLX will be released at the New York Auto Show 18-27 April. The new Genesis is being shown in Korea this week and released in NA at the Detroit show. (18-26 Jan). There are new picture out of the car and lots of information.. easy to find if you go to those forums. The car looks nice to me. Maybe more car than I need, but it might be on my short list soon.

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/11/201...kes-debut.html

They have seen the light! Now with Honda's excellent engine designs I am pumped to see how they move this to Acura.
Honda is maintaining the J35 V-6 so I think the turbo engines will end up on smaller cars like the Civic Type R and that new urban SUV. Maybe the ILX.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:07 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Honda is maintaining the J35 V-6 so I think the turbo engines will end up on smaller cars like the Civic Type R and that new urban SUV. Maybe the ILX.
You are probably right about the turbos only targeting the smaller cars. But the new NSX is a twin turbo V6. Surely they wouldn't just leave all that R&D on the bench, would they?
Old 11-21-2013, 08:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
News to me.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/2015-acu...170010820.html
Old 11-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Suzuka Master

...and keep me posted on the reliability of your Audi. I was driving this morning and saw a white Audi S5 and let me just say that I nearly went wild!! What a gorgeous car.
Originally Posted by George Knighton
I've noticed that Audi are doing much better with Consumer Reports than they used to do, and their talking heads mention the A6 as the main reason.

Audi options list confuse me, however. They're almost as bad as Porsche! :-)

So I have 3K on the car and will soon be taking it on a long trip. I had posted a review early on and will update it at 5K, but so far it is solid, the things I don;t like are not reliability, but design issues:

- EPS Steering way too light and numb with no on-center feel
- Seats are not all that comfortable, so many adjustments and still tough time finding ideal position
- Brakes feel spongy and too much travel before they engage (have seen a few others complain about this as well)
- Some ergonomic issues about dumb placement and useless cup holders, , cruise control stalk, Start push button, volume knob and HVAC controls.
- 3G speeds of Audi Connect.

On the plus side;
- AMAZING power-train, silky smooth with torque that just keeps giving
- Ride is excellent smooth yet handles very well.
- MMI, this is amazing with just how intuitive and easy to use their MMI/NAV is
-MMI screen and Gauges and info display
- Google Earth and online destinations
- fairly quiet interior

I love the styling and the LEDs everywhere on this car. I don't think there is an incandescent bulb anywhere on this car.

I have had a numerous new cars and this ranks in the top. I would put my 09 AWD TL as the most solid car I every had from a build quality and reliability. The A6 would be in the top 4 so far. My 3G Tls were great cars, but all had some buzzy back decks and some squeaks and rattles from the factory.
The following 2 users liked this post by KeithL:
Gen4MDX (11-21-2013), weather (11-21-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 07:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
So I have 3K on the car and will soon be taking it on a long trip. I had posted a review early on and will update it at 5K, but so far it is solid, the things I don;t like are not reliability, but design issues:

- EPS Steering way too light and numb with no on-center feel
- Seats are not all that comfortable, so many adjustments and still tough time finding ideal position
- Brakes feel spongy and too much travel before they engage (have seen a few others complain about this as well)
- Some ergonomic issues about dumb placement and useless cup holders, , cruise control stalk, Start push button, volume knob and HVAC controls.
- 3G speeds of Audi Connect.

On the plus side;
- AMAZING power-train, silky smooth with torque that just keeps giving
- Ride is excellent smooth yet handles very well.
- MMI, this is amazing with just how intuitive and easy to use their MMI/NAV is
-MMI screen and Gauges and info display
- Google Earth and online destinations
- fairly quiet interior

I love the styling and the LEDs everywhere on this car. I don't think there is an incandescent bulb anywhere on this car.

I have had a numerous new cars and this ranks in the top. I would put my 09 AWD TL as the most solid car I every had from a build quality and reliability. The A6 would be in the top 4 so far. My 3G Tls were great cars, but all had some buzzy back decks and some squeaks and rattles from the factory.
Yes, please do keep us posted on your impressions, my loyalty is with Acura and Honda, but I have been tempted by the dark side....Audi and BMW especially if H&A do not get their act together. Thank you for your post
Old 11-21-2013, 10:52 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by TeamAcura
Interesting info, best future news scoop Acura has had in a long time. Hope the news is true. Potential 600hp, 8 spd dual clutch, and SH-SH-AWD would escalate the 2015 NSX to supercar status.

Then if Acura is smart, the NSX's design (exterior and engineering) would trickle down to the TLX.

Agreed. S5/RS5 is pretty awesome looking. I'm keeping a close on Audi's reliability. If the TLX is a failure, my next vehicle may be an Audi or Porsche.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Some more general Honda news. 8sp DCT w/ torque converter. No more "jerkyness" at low speeds. And of course turbos galore. I can see these engines in the MMC for the ILX. Anyone seen the Civic Type R Prototype? Looks the business. Finally something to compete against the STIs, EVOs, Focus STs and the like. Better late than never. Honda is waking up.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...rque-converter

Last edited by TeamAcura; 11-21-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by docboy
Interesting info, best future news scoop Acura has had in a long time. Hope the news is true. Potential 600hp, 8 spd dual clutch, and SH-SH-AWD would escalate the 2015 NSX to supercar status.

Then if Acura is smart, the NSX's design (exterior and engineering) would trickle down to the TLX.
And it makes sense they go with a longitudinally-mounted V-6 instead of the transverse layout to make room for those twin turbos. I can see it easily acheive 600hp with those electric motors considering the GTR makes that much with only the turbos and almost the same displacement.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:44 AM
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
If the CEO said Spring is the announcement they better start releasing some teasers or something soon. I'm thinking about heading over to the Infiniti dealership this weekend to look at the Q50, and will probably make some other rounds as well. It's getting to the point where my patience is wearing thin.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Can't see putting a torque converter on a DCT. Seems like its defeating the whole purpose of it to appeal to Sunday drivers. It adds complexity & weight to the trans & its like putting a super restrictor valve on an MT to soften it up.

As for jerky starts after 3 years my next jerky start will be the first one. Have driven 3 different brands with DCT's & think Honda is chasing an issue that does not really exist for those in the market for a DCT.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
This is very exciting news from Honda, FI, DCT's, addition of letters that are backed by performance, SH-SHAWD seems like a good time to be a fan. Hopefully some of this stuff goes into production and isn't just left on the R&D shelves. I was really hoping to hold on to my 12' for a while but it seems like the new car itch will bite sooner than later.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:18 PM
6G TLX-S

^^^^^

Agree. Finally Acura has all the necessary hardware to start building up it's stagnant brand image.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:44 PM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Can't see putting a torque converter on a DCT. Seems like its defeating the whole purpose of it to appeal to Sunday drivers. It adds complexity & weight to the trans & its like putting a super restrictor valve on an MT to soften it up.

As for jerky starts after 3 years my next jerky start will be the first one. Have driven 3 different brands with DCT's & think Honda is chasing an issue that does not really exist for those in the market for a DCT.
Yeah, that seems odd. I wonder if it's not a torque converter in the traditional sense and more of a wet clutch.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:19 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Devil Dog 21
If the CEO said Spring is the announcement they better start releasing some teasers or something soon. I'm thinking about heading over to the Infiniti dealership this weekend to look at the Q50, and will probably make some other rounds as well. It's getting to the point where my patience is wearing thin.
Personally I wouldn't touch the Q50 until they get their software issues worked out. Especially the ones that turn the steering wheel when you don't want it turned.

Plus the next model year is supposed to have ventilated seats. But this comes from unreliable sources.

The Genesis looks very promising.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ABDomega
Yeah, that seems odd. I wonder if it's not a torque converter in the traditional sense and more of a wet clutch.
The DCT has a pair of wet clutches now + an oil cooling system. A torque converter is a torque converter with no connection between the driven & drive half till lockup. So what they seem to be saying is the TQ will get you off the line & someplace along , at lock up point?, the twin clutches will kick in.

Really? Just because they have done so well with their AT's over the past three generations.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-22-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:36 AM
Grandpa

Really? Just because they have done so well with their AT's over the past three generations.
:-)

I see what you did there.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:45 AM
Grandpa

Agree. Finally Acura has all the necessary hardware to start building up it's stagnant brand image.
Maybe.

A couple of months ago, I thought I was picking up on their saying that conventional (as we now know it) SH-AWD was old tech and possibly disappearing.

Now, however, it seems those same people are saying that conventional SH-AWD is rolling out to the majority of platforms, and I believe they intended to convey the meaning that it included the ILX.

A TLX that is based on the current generation Honda Accord, with SH-AWD, a manual six speed, and the K20 280 HP motor might very well turn out to be a bit of a hoot even if we can't get good camber bite on the front end. You'd swing the car with the rear end instead of relying on double wishbones to move camber the right direction, I guess.

Sounds interesting, anyway.

I like the J35 Earth Dreams motor, but it's only 310 HP and doesn't dyno as well as the older J37 non-direct injection motor that was only rated at 305 HP. I don't know if the Earth Dreams J Motor without the hybrid drivetrain is going to give the enthusiasts the kick that they're after.

I dunno. What do you guys think? Will the sporty version TLX be a 6-6 like the current model, or a K20 Turbo?

Originally Posted by TeamAcura
And it makes sense they go with a longitudinally-mounted V-6 instead of the transverse layout to make room for those twin turbos.
I dunno. After the 4G TL I think they're going to be sporty but design-frugal.

I think the 5G TLX will have to be an Accord chassis with McPherson, and it would require quite a bit of redesign to get a longitudinal design to work. It'd have to be an all new design. Do they have the money for that? A design peculiar to the TLX?

The whole front end would have to be different, from the gear shift through the firewall and on up to the front bumper.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:18 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ My gut feeling tells me that we will see some turbo option in the TLX.....but I could be totally off. The big question will be, will they add a 4 with a turbo and keep the V6 for their top level (with the VCM), or will they have the turbo on the V6 to give it a real high ooutput model.

Given the RLX SH-SH-AWD will have ~377HP, I doubt that the turbo V6 high output can be ruled out and likely on the 4 cylinder.

To be honest, the ILX with the non turbo model, the entry level TLX with the I4 turbo (putting 260HP), a mid model TLX V6 at 290-300hp and their gussied up model with a V6 with electric motor putting about 340HP, then with the top RLX at 377HP would give a good gap between models and keep everyone happy without stepping over each other

Last edited by weather; 11-23-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:22 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ My gut feeling tells me that we will see some turbo option in the TLX.....but I could be totally off.
I don't think so in the first pass, I think they will stick with tried and true engines at this point and work in the turbos later.

Quick Reply: When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?