When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 10:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
@maharajamd - I can't believe you're saying it either. One drive in the Kia and I'll bet you'll come flying back to Acura. The Koreans have a looooong ways to go before they can touch the Japanese -- forget about the Germans -- in the ride/handling department. The Korean temptress is beguiling with her fine jewelry and fancy clothes -- but she's a sad sack in bed. I know I fell for her more famous sister -- the Genesis -- and quickly realized that should never have left Acura if I cared for a good ride.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:57 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
I am surprised at the dramatic change of the C-class especially since I thought the latest iteration had been a fairly dramatic new look (mostly the front). The front and back of the 2015 definitely looks Mercedes but the side view somehow has a bit of an Asian look. These guys are slapping everyone else in the auto industry silly with nice styling, nice drivetrain choices, affordable pricing for the entry level models, all in a prestige name. Looks like the Asian luxury folks should just pack it up and move along--nothing to see here.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:26 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Maybe repost... but here it is: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/19/2...nued-official/

It says "will use two direct-injected engines"... excuse me? two engines?

Last edited by Tonyware; 12-19-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:37 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonyware
Maybe repost... but here it is: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/19/2...nued-official/

The original source (just in case if someone still wants it):
http://acuranews.com/channels/acura-...onal-auto-show

It could be like the current setup (though the PR piece does not specify this), where one engine is FWD only (3.5L) and the other is AWD only (3.7L).

EDIT: I know it's dangerous to be even slightly hopeful, but since it only talks about sedans, does that mean the TSX wagon will live on for a short while more? Or is the TSX wagon so insignificant for Acura it's not even worth mentioning when talking about nixing the TSX line?

I also wonder if the TLX can truly take on the combined sales of the TSX and TL. That's a massive plate to step up to. I guess that basically confirms a 4cyl, doesn't it? So maybe the vauge wording in the press release indicates AWD will not be tied to any specific engine?

Last edited by jshaw; 12-19-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:22 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jshaw
The original source (just in case if someone still wants it):
http://acuranews.com/channels/acura-...onal-auto-show

It could be like the current setup (though the PR piece does not specify this), where one engine is FWD only (3.5L) and the other is AWD only (3.7L).

EDIT: I know it's dangerous to be even slightly hopeful, but since it only talks about sedans, does that mean the TSX wagon will live on for a short while more? Or is the TSX wagon so insignificant for Acura it's not even worth mentioning when talking about nixing the TSX line?

I also wonder if the TLX can truly take on the combined sales of the TSX and TL. That's a massive plate to step up to. I guess that basically confirms a 4cyl, doesn't it? So maybe the vauge wording in the press release indicates AWD will not be tied to any specific engine?
So is the picture the TLX?
Old 12-19-2013, 06:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
So what in marketing speak does this mean?

"The sporty characteristics that customers found appealing in the TSX are even more pronounced in this aggressive new TLX."
Design? Driving experience?

When do the leaks begin? Ford kept a pretty tight ship on the new Mustang...I wonder if Acura can keep it under wraps until the official unveiling.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:39 AM
Intermediate

Two new engines? Or when they say "all-new" is it just the first matching of an existing engine to a new tranny? SH-SH-AWD? NSX Electric motors?

The all-new model will feature more emotional styling with tidier, sports sedan proportions wrapped around two all-new advanced powertrains that provide even more athletic performance...
And why cloak the muscle?

This all-new Acura TLX is the perfect blend of style and muscle with its elegant, well-proportioned exterior that cloaks the true sport sedan chassis and powertrain beneath
At least we have something to chew on now. Perhaps a trip to Detroit in January is in order.

Last edited by MtnMan; 12-19-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:43 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Finally!! This is long overdue..

It's hard to tell with the camo but it looks no smaller than the 4G in the pics..

Last edited by JT4; 12-19-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
01-14-14 can't come soon enough...I'm intrigued.

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...spx?id=7523-en

Last edited by TeamAcura; 12-19-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:01 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
"The sporty characteristics that customers found appealing in the TSX are even more pronounced in this aggressive new TLX."
!!!

two all-new, high-performance and highly fuel-efficient direct-injected engines
So TWO new engines?!?! V6T!!!!

each mated to an all-new advanced transmission, along with available two-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive configurations.
So no more manual. But it's all new and advanced? So...DCT? Would they really go sporty on everything else just to slap an auto in there?

Is it really possible? An aggressively sporty sh-awd turbo v6 DCT TLX? Oh God I hope!

This is a good start imo!

Last edited by maharajamd; 12-19-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:12 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by maharajamd
!!!

So TWO new engines?!?! V6T!!!!

So no more manual. But it's all new and advanced? So...DCT? would they really go sporty on everything else just to slap a auto in there?

Is it really possible? An aggressively sporty sh-awd turbo v6 DCT TLX? Oh God I hope!

This is a good start imo!
Here's to hoping for an aggressively styled, segment leading, Sport Hybrid SH-AWD, V6T, with a good DCT.

Just don't let it look like a baby RLX...

One other thing - I read recently that a number of manufacturers were working on tech that would essentially act as a second screen for your smartphone. Initially the dev was with iPhone and primarily focused on maps/nav + audio. Bets on that showing up this time around?

Last edited by MtnMan; 12-19-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:27 AM
Intermediate

Could the TLX be getting a variant of the RLX powertrain setup?

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/20/2...h-awd-la-2013/
Old 12-19-2013, 09:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
From Left Lane News (maybe a little more info?):

"Acura has confirmed the mid-size TLX sedan will bow as a close-to-production concept at next month's Detroit Motor Show. The TLX will replace the current TL.

Compared to the TL, the TLX will shrink in size in order to clear room between it and Acura's range-topping RLX sedan. As it stands, the flagship RLX is just 2.1 inches longer than the mid-level TL.

The TLX is expected to ride on a modified version of the Honda Accord's platform. The car will be offered with a wide array of engines including two all-new direct-injected units and Aura's latest 3.5-liter V6, which is good for 280 horsepower under the hood of the RLX. A gasoline-electric hybrid drivetrain might join the TLX lineup later in the production run.

Honda will initially stick to its tried and true six-speed auto for the TLX, but we hear a seven-speed dual-clutch unit could eventually join the mix. Both two- and four-wheel drive models will be offered.

Stylistically, look for the TLX to shed the TL's sharp edges in favor of the softer edges first seen on the RLX sedan. The TLX will sport the latest iteration of Acura's shield grille, as well as the company's new signature Jewel Eye LED headlights.

Following its debut in Detroit, the Acura TLX will morph into a production sedan and like greet the public for the first either at the New York Show next April. Look for the sedan to reach Acura showrooms as a 2015 model across the country next summer.

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-tl...#ixzz2nvvuxtHC
Old 12-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I wonder if by offering 2 engine options, one will be a 4 cylinder and the other a 6 or will they both be 6 cylinder engines with one being a more robust (think Type S) performer.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura Press Release
The all-new Acura TLX will offer luxury buyers a wider range of choices with two all-new, high-performance and highly fuel-efficient direct-injected engines, each mated to an all-new advanced transmission
Just one transmission? Sadness. I need a clutch pedal in my life. This might not be the next car for me if it doesn't have one. Still excited to see it. Crossing fingers for a manual.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Race Director

IMO the manual is gone. But I'd take a DCT...
Old 12-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like the TLX is going to be released soon.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...tml?cmpid=yhoo

Honda plans to introduce its 2015 model TLX sedan next month at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit
Old 12-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Race Director

/reading
Old 12-19-2013, 03:43 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonyware

Sorry, not enough coffee, half asleep early this morning when I read the article, thought they're installing two engines in the AWD Oh well, its nice to dream

Sad to see the TSX go tho, all my past girlfriends somehow had one. A real chick magnet
Old 12-19-2013, 04:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Ditto, the new C Class interior turns me off big time.the exterior is sweet, but the overall car does nothing for me.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by KeithL
Ditto, the new C Class interior turns me off big time.the exterior is sweet, but the overall car does nothing for me.
How could the overall package not do anything for you? From what I am reading they will be offering an improved base engine plus a V6, a slightly larger size with more interior room, a nice looking interior, the fact that it is a Mercedes, and pricing is supposed to be starting at mid-$30s (naturally a decent equipped one will likely be more like $40K+).

So what more would you like?
Old 12-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Banned

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Oswald Vater
From Left Lane News (maybe a little more info?):

"Acura has confirmed the mid-size TLX sedan will bow as a close-to-production concept at next month's Detroit Motor Show. The TLX will replace the current TL.

Compared to the TL, the TLX will shrink in size in order to clear room between it and Acura's range-topping RLX sedan. As it stands, the flagship RLX is just 2.1 inches longer than the mid-level TL.

The TLX is expected to ride on a modified version of the Honda Accord's platform. The car will be offered with a wide array of engines including two all-new direct-injected units and Aura's latest 3.5-liter V6, which is good for 280 horsepower under the hood of the RLX. A gasoline-electric hybrid drivetrain might join the TLX lineup later in the production run.

Honda will initially stick to its tried and true six-speed auto for the TLX, but we hear a seven-speed dual-clutch unit could eventually join the mix. Both two- and four-wheel drive models will be offered.

Stylistically, look for the TLX to shed the TL's sharp edges in favor of the softer edges first seen on the RLX sedan. The TLX will sport the latest iteration of Acura's shield grille, as well as the company's new signature Jewel Eye LED headlights.

Following its debut in Detroit, the Acura TLX will morph into a production sedan and like greet the public for the first either at the New York Show next April. Look for the sedan to reach Acura showrooms as a 2015 model across the country next summer.

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-tl...#ixzz2nvvuxtHC

I think this is mostly speculation based on the press release. I think we are looking at a 4cyl and direct injected/earth dreams V6. Three engine options seems a little bit much.

With Acura's press release promising an all new drive train, I doubt they will hold off until mid cycle to drop the new transmission they promoted in the debut.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:03 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
^^^^^

Agree. Highly likely a high-power DI I4 and the RLX/MDX DI 3.5L-V6.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ and I think a turbo in the middle...?? Base DI I4, turbo 4 and DI V6? MMC would bring the SH-SH-AWD
Old 12-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 4cruizn
Just one transmission? Sadness. I need a clutch pedal in my life. This might not be the next car for me if it doesn't have one. Still excited to see it. Crossing fingers for a manual.
Look at the bright side... at least it won't be a CVT, unless if Honda suddenly has a new CVT big enough to take the torque of a V6.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:18 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I highlighted some words in the press release that I think are key to reading between the lines.

"..... The all-new model will feature more emotional styling with tidier, sports sedan proportions wrapped around two all-new advanced powertrains that provide even more athletic performance, along with a host of signature Acura technologies. The 2015 TLX Prototype is designed to appeal to current and next-generation luxury sports sedan buyers including existing TL and TSX customers.

Tidier proportions means smaller on the outside which we all expected since it is based on the new Accord platform. Designed to span the current customer base from the TSX thru the TL.

"This all-new Acura TLX is the perfect blend of style and muscle with its elegant, well-proportioned exterior that cloaks the true sport sedan chassis and powertrain beneath," said Mike Accavitti, senior vice president, American Honda Motor, Co., Inc. "The sporty characteristics that customers found appealing in the TSX are even more pronounced in this aggressive new TLX."

Cloaks the true sports sedan chassis... that customers found appealing in the TSX.... note they did not say "TL" so the 4G styling of the TL is going to be played down in favor of something... well more boring... but less controversial. Ala the RLX. Hope it is still interesting.

The all-new Acura TLX will offer luxury buyers a wider range of choices with two all-new, high-performance and highly fuel-efficient direct-injected engines, each mated to an all-new advanced transmission, along with available two-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive configurations. The TLX will also feature dynamic and emotional exterior styling wrapped around a mid-size luxury sports-sedan package that maintains the roomy cabin space of the current TL.

Wider range of choices....wider range from the TL I assume, meaning something other than a V6. Highly fuel efficient... 4cyl... higher performance. So from this, like others, I see a 2.4L DI like the Accord but higher output, then the DI V6 from the MDX since I think they keep the higher output V6 for the RLX... maybe... all-new advanced transmissions which I think is code for the ZF 7 or 9 speed transmissions. All-Wheel-Drive does NOT say SH-AWD which is Acuras big technology. To not say 'SH-AWD' implies the AWD version may be more like the RDX AWD. That will dissappoint a lot of buyers. They may be leaving this for a future SH-SH-AWD version that would be release at a future time. Maintains roomy cabin... again like the Accord, but the Accord did this by dumping the double wish bone and going with struts up front. So don't be shocked!

At least they are releasing info and pictures of the prototype. Better than nothing. I assume after this some will be able to know enough to move on, others know enough to hold on. Hopefully I will be a 'hold on' but we'll see.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
How could the overall package not do anything for you? From what I am reading they will be offering an improved base engine plus a V6, a slightly larger size with more interior room, a nice looking interior, the fact that it is a Mercedes, and pricing is supposed to be starting at mid-$30s (naturally a decent equipped one will likely be more like $40K+).

So what more would you like?
I do not buy or like a car on specs alone, I have to,like the styling and I don't like the way the back end slopes off and really the interior is a huge turn off to me. That screen looks as bad as the one in the CLA, like it was tacked on at the last minute in design, "oh shit we didn't leave space for the info/nav screen we'll just double stick tape it here..."
Old 12-20-2013, 06:29 AM
Suzuka Master

I am so amused how such a vague press announcement has everyone so gitty. I'll eat my words if I am wrong, but come guys, these are the people that designed the RLX, do you really think the TLX is going to be a radical departure from anything they have released in the last 2 years (RDX, RLX,MDX)? Sure it maybe be more sporty, but compared to what? The current TL//TSX ?

Last edited by KeithL; 12-20-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:24 AM
Burning Brakes

I do not buy or like a car on specs alone, I have to,like the styling and I don't like the way the back end slopes off and really the interior is a huge turn off to me. That screen looks as bad as the one in the CLA, like it was tacked on at the last minute in design, "oh shit we didn't leave space for the info/nav screen we'll just double stick tape it here..."

The screen looks like a glued on Nexus or something. I think it looks tacky. The back end looks like the 2G RL or some kind of Hyundai. I can't put my finger on it. And I would argue that MB is no longer an exclusive brand because everyone can own one -- at least here in LA -- and most buy the base just so they can have an MB but they miss the irony of the fact that there are 2 other MB sitting at a stop light with them.
Attached Thumbnails When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?-2015-mercedes-c-class-interior-1.jpg   When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?-2015-mercedes-c-class-rendering-interiors.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
JM2010 SH-AWD (12-20-2013)
Old 12-20-2013, 08:10 AM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
I am so amused how such a vague press announcement has everyone so gitty. I'll eat my words if I am wrong, but come guys, these are the people that designed the RLX, do you really think the TLX is going to be a radical departure from anything they have released in the last 2 years (RDX, RLX,MDX)? Sure it maybe be more sporty, but compared to what? The current TL//TSX ?
I agree. I'm excited that they announced SOMETHING though. Honestly, I doubt it'll be the change many want. People are throwing out the thoughts of a turbo 6 or 4. lol. doubtful. It'll be the same earth dreams 3.5 Most likely the "detuned" 280hp version for the base along with perhaps a higher hp 4cyl like in the accord. The awd model will most likely be either the higher output 3.5 with 310hp, or the option for a hybrid down the line like the rlx.

We all know it'll be the dual screen interface they use in all their cars now, jewel eye headlights and other catch phrase repurposed tech.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:15 AM
Race Director

@KeithL: You gotta remember where you are man. This is an Acura enthusiasts community. We are going to be enthusiastic. Not all of us have jumped ship to the better brand car yet. Lol
Old 12-20-2013, 08:30 AM
Race Director

Also, and this may sound dumb, is the Mercedes nav/tablet thing removable? Maybe not super easily but much more than if it were built-in? Thus making it upgradable?
Old 12-20-2013, 08:53 AM
Burning Brakes

I was thinking it might be cool if it swiveled but it looks like it can't from the pics.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Suzuka Master

@KeithL: You gotta remember where you are man. This is an Acura enthusiasts community. We are going to be enthusiastic. Not all of us have jumped ship to the better brand car yet. Lol
I agree, but the big difference I have found between here and the main Audi forum I participate in is that here people are more grounded in reality and on the Audi forum they are fan-boys that drank the kool-aid and not open to much criticism to their brand.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Also, and this may sound dumb, is the Mercedes nav/tablet thing removable? Maybe not super easily but much more than if it were built-in? Thus making it upgradable?
Not by us I assume, but looks like easy picking for a smash and grab drugged thief as they will mistake it for a Garmin or something.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Race Director

I actually like some of the Audi forums. Especially when based over the pond. It's the American fan boys that are the worst.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Wow that nav screen is atrocious! Does not look anywhere near integrated into the dash. I personally like the exterior design though.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Glashub
The screen looks like a glued on Nexus or something. I think it looks tacky. The back end looks like the 2G RL or some kind of Hyundai. I can't put my finger on it. And I would argue that MB is no longer an exclusive brand because everyone can own one -- at least here in LA -- and most buy the base just so they can have an MB but they miss the irony of the fact that there are 2 other MB sitting at a stop light with them.
How true--this place is fantasyland. It used to me not all that long ago that it was something to be driving around in a Mercedes but over the last several years cars of that class have become so ubiquitous--I think I see more Mercs on my drive to and from work than almost any other vehicle. Now to get noticed in LA you really need to go to the next level--an AMG Mercedes is basically entry level into that stratos along with Bentleys, Lambos, Aston-Martins, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Glashub (12-20-2013)
Old 12-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Account closed

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Detroit Auto Show...

Already have my VIP passes and ready to go, new TLX and new Honda Fit

I'm ready to see what they have to offer, TLX better have a coupe version in the works
Old 12-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
How true--this place is fantasyland. It used to me not all that long ago that it was something to be driving around in a Mercedes but over the last several years cars of that class have become so ubiquitous--I think I see more Mercs on my drive to and from work than almost any other vehicle. Now to get noticed in LA you really need to go to the next level--an AMG Mercedes is basically entry level into that stratos along with Bentleys, Lambos, Aston-Martins, etc.

I would argue that your TL is more "exclusive" due to its scarcity. I don't care how prestigious a brand is supposed to be SeismicGuy if so many people have one and easy lease leases make it possible for anyone to lease one -- well, it loses it's some of its prestige to me.

Quick Reply: When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?