When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ You could be right, but I am wondering if this is partially why there has been some delays in its introduction?

Given that the ILX is its MMC next year, what a great opportunity for Acura to bring out a winning combination and solve the criticism they are under.

I also forgot to add....Please give us NICE wheels and decent bodykit! The wheels on the camo'd version that was release a few months ago were hideous in my opinion and I am pretty sure they will be available on of the trim level....the camo'd pics of the 4g TL that was caught testing in 2008 had the wheel they introduced on the 2009 model so I am pretty sure that busy and ugly wheel will be there.....sadly though
Old 11-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So, I just came back from getting my A1 service at Acura of Pleasanton and I had a little conversation with my service adviser about any upcoming models including the TLX. He said they are extremely frustrated since any time they ask Acura personnel that come to the dealership, they will not share any information other than, yes, there will be a TLX.

Nothing.

The Pleasanton guys also keep telling Acura that they need to build a coupe since they are getting a lot of inquiries from customers. Again, Acura tells them nothing.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ You could be right, but I am wondering if this is partially why there has been some delays in its introduction?

Given that the ILX is its MMC next year, what a great opportunity for Acura to bring out a winning combination and solve the criticism they are under.
Considering that article quoted someone saying the turbos won't be available until 2015 and, even then, only on European Type-R Civics, then added that they'll consider US markets after that, I don't know. My guess is, if it's going to be on a Civic, then the ILX or an ILX Type-S variant may get it first for the Acura line. Then again, who knows.

Last edited by Rocketsfan; 11-23-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:48 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Its just my wishful thinking and on a timing that would be perfect for Acura, but nothing seems to work for the company it seems, so chances are, you are right. It would be too brilliant and we know that for something that smart to occur, you have to have wisdom at the top, and that ain't the case.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:00 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
I think Honda is too busy putting its innovations into jets. I was talking to my neighbor today whose brother is an aeronautical engineer who was sought after by Honda for design of their new jet http://hondajet.honda.com/
The main innovation is putting the jet engines on TOP of the wing rather than below it has presumably never been done and saves 30% on fuel usage.

Now if only Honda can do something as innovating with the Acura line!
Old 11-23-2013, 09:16 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ A jet engine on the ILX would help - How do I come up with these amazing ideas?!?! *lol*
Old 11-24-2013, 12:55 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
The main innovation is putting the jet engines on TOP of the wing rather than below it has presumably never been done and saves 30% on fuel usage.
Yes, it has been done before.

VFW614

AN-72/AN-74
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (11-24-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by briny319
When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?
Thoughts???
When most of us have turned to dust.
The following 2 users liked this post by boe_d:
BEAR-AvHistory (11-27-2013), Mr Marco (11-27-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
The Fokker is old jet tech from the 1970's. Above the wing mounted engines are nothing new.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
More on HondaJet since we're on the subject.

http://myjetreview.com/html/08-honda.html
Old 11-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Back to the TLX, based on recent Honda news, I have a gut feeling they will give the base TL (fwd) a turbo 4 w/ a 6sp MT option and the SH-AWD will get the Hybrid V-6 mated with a 7sp DCT and no MT option. An I4 or 4 cyc. was never offered for the TL. Maybe they'll bring back the I5 and turbo it!....I doubt it though.

Last edited by TeamAcura; 11-27-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:00 PM
6G TLX-S

The I5 design can never be as smooth as the V6 in operation.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:06 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by TeamAcura
Back to the TLX, based on recent Honda news, I have a gut feeling they will give the base TL (fwd) a turbo 4 w/ a 6sp MT option and the SH-AWD will get the Hybrid V-6 mated with a 7sp DCT and no MT option. An I4 or 4 cyc. was never offered for the TL. Maybe they'll bring back the I5 and turbo it!....I doubt it though.
What scares me is the rave reviews that the 2014 Accord Hybrid drivetrain is getting.

If that admittedly wonderful drivetrain is a part of the solution for the TLX, then I just don't know what!
Old 11-28-2013, 02:45 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Tetsuo Iwamura States the Obvious....

And some other tidbits...

-------------------------------------------
http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#ixzz2llcmNjaG

James B. Treece
Automotive News
November 25, 2013 - 12:01 am ET

TOKYO -- Tetsuo Iwamura, CEO of American Honda Motor Co., says that for him, "The big challenge is Acura."

He said Acura has a "very strong lineup" of SUVs and crossovers. But of the brand's sedans, he said, "We need to improve a lot."

He said of the Acura ILX, for example, "So far, volume is not meeting our expectations. We could have done better."

And the TLX, he said, "could be a volume model for Acura" after it gets a redesign and rebadged from the TL "sometime spring next year."

Honda showed a number of new turbocharged engines and a new eight-speed dual-clutch transmission at the Tokyo Motor Show.

But Iwamura, speaking to reporters before the show, implied the carmaker would not use distinctive powertrain technologies to set Acura apart from the mass-market Honda brand.

He said that Honda's three-motor hybrid system will be unique to the Acura brand in the United States. Other than that, though, he did not single out any other technology as one that the automaker would reserve solely for Acura.

The 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid, which will go on sale next spring, will come with Honda's seven-speed dual-clutch transmission and its new Sport Hybrid-All Wheel Drive linked to the 3.5-liter V-6 engine.

The all-wheel-drive system sends power from the inner wheel to the outer one when the car is turning to improve handling and performance.

The rear wheels get one electric motor each, while the third is integrated into the engine as a combination motor and generator.

Acura's U.S. sales have advanced 6 percent this year to 135,126 but still trail Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Lexus and Cadillac.

Iwamura also rejected the idea of following Lexus and Infiniti, two Japanese luxury brands that are seeking to become global brands after many years of being exclusively or primarily brands sold in the United States.

"For us, the main market is still the United States, and a bit of China," he said. "Rather than expanding Acura globally, we'd rather make Acura a strong brand in North America and China." After that, he said, Acura can "look globally."

Said Iwamura: "Make sedans strong. That's the next five-year plan."

----------------------------------------------------
So the TLX may also get the SH-SH-AWD treatment.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
^^^^^^^^^

I like hearing that! Love his last statement, "Make sedans strong. That's the next five-year plan."
Old 11-28-2013, 10:54 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by a32tl
^^^^^^^^^

I like hearing that! Love his last statement, "Make sedans strong. That's the next five-year plan."
Simple yet effective words. I'm beginning to sense some hope for Acura.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Suzuka Master

While I agree the words are encouraging, I remain skeptical that they know and understand how to execute their plans. Don't get me wrong, we ALL agree that Acura has been making some bad decisions but I have seen to often when people say all the right things but never deliver....I am not sure if its because they try to just shut me up, or simply that they are truly unable to deliver.

With Acura.....I reserve my judgement until I see what they will do with the TLX and the ILX MMC. Just a little while longer to go.

PS...If they are aware their car image is suffering, why couldn't they tweak their RLX SH-SH-AWD model a bit to giving it some wow?! Even the new wheels are "Meh".

BTW...IS this thread an Acurazine record? Over 100 000 hits.....that is showing that the TLX is an anticipated car!!
Treblig (11-29-2013)
Old 11-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Summer is Coming

While I agree the words are encouraging, I remain skeptical that they know and understand how to execute their plans. Don't get me wrong, we ALL agree that Acura has been making some bad decisions but I have seen to often when people say all the right things but never deliver....I am not sure if its because they try to just shut me up, or simply that they are truly unable to deliver.

With Acura.....I reserve my judgement until I see what they will do with the TLX and the ILX MMC. Just a little while longer to go.

PS...If they are aware their car image is suffering, why couldn't they tweak their RLX SH-SH-AWD model a bit to giving it some wow?! Even the new wheels are "Meh".

BTW...IS this thread an Acurazine record? Over 100 000 hits.....that is showing that the TLX is an anticipated car!!
100,000 hits and no information at all from Acura, that says something else about the failure of Acura's marketing approach. In fact I think this statement above is the first time I've seen a Honda/Acura official even use the name 'TLX.' Acura should capitalize on this interest, but we all know they won't. Like Weather said... yes they may want to make sedans strong, but do they know how to do it? Their marketing department doesn't seem to understand. Can't sell a mass market car without marketing. If they want to 'make sedans strong' they can start by firing their marketing department and grow some interest in the car.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Said Iwamura: "Make sedans strong"

Interesting set of words but can anyone say exactly what they mean?
Old 11-28-2013, 08:47 PM
6G TLX-S

"Make sedans strong" by itself is not gonna cut it for the Acura brand.

The flagship RLX is a damn good car. It is "strong", but the out-of-touch pricing scheme simply ruin it all for Acura.

Therefore, it should be "Make sedans strong and Set prices reasonable".
Old 11-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
"Make sedans strong" by itself is not gonna cut it for the Acura brand.

The flagship RLX is a damn good car. It is "strong", but the out-of-touch pricing scheme simply ruin it all for Acura.

Therefore, it should be "Make sedans strong and Set prices reasonable".

I think it just boils down to the fact that when translated, all he meant is "get sedans to sell". I don't think he meant anything about any specific model. Whatever can sell the cars, whether it be better pricing, better design, more performance, or a combination, do it and the sales'll be strong.

Also, I really don't think that interview told me much other than he was trying to say "we're working on it". Also, not to be a downer, but the ILX and RLX were their first shots at the sedan "re-work", and well ...
BEAR-AvHistory (11-28-2013)
Old 11-28-2013, 11:10 PM
Suzuka Master

They really need to dump the un-imaginative marketing babble people who say nothing & re-staff the whole development & marketing groups with creative people.

The company has a solid construction base but the suites do not seem to know what to do with it up to & including Mr. Iwamura
Old 11-29-2013, 12:33 AM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
I think it just boils down to the fact that when translated, all he meant is "get sedans to sell". I don't think he meant anything about any specific model. Whatever can sell the cars, whether it be better pricing, better design, more performance, or a combination, do it and the sales'll be strong.

That is even easier.

Drop the MSRP enough, and all Acura sedans will fly out of the dealerships by themselves.

The major problem right now with Acura is the lack of luxury brand image, not the lack of good sedans.

If Iwamura focuses only on the sedans alone, and not on the faltering brand image, then Iwamura still doesn't know what the problem with Acura is.
BEAR-AvHistory (11-29-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey guys....Its hard to imagine that we are in December and yet, the only thing we have seen thus far when it comes to the TLX is that heavily camouflaged vehicle a few months ago. How can a car which is about to be released (in about 5 months) have absolutely no further testing occurring, no car with the swirl pattern....gheez they are so secretive of this car. Its not like Acura doesn't want to tip their hand to their opponent as all the other companies have already released their models and they are the last one to the party....so what do they have to lose, besides their loyal fan base?
Old 12-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Drifting

Maybe they'll show something at the Detroit Auto Show. That'd be right on cue for a "Spring" release, wouldn't it? Of course then there's the 2-5 month wait for "Spring".
Old 12-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Waiting a few months until they put it together is not a problem....I just want to see what they will come up with so I can see if I should wait or start putting an order on an Audi
Old 12-10-2013, 05:37 AM
Summer is Coming

Hey guys....Its hard to imagine that we are in December and yet, the only thing we have seen thus far when it comes to the TLX is that heavily camouflaged vehicle a few months ago. How can a car which is about to be released (in about 5 months) have absolutely no further testing occurring, no car with the swirl pattern....gheez they are so secretive of this car. Its not like Acura doesn't want to tip their hand to their opponent as all the other companies have already released their models and they are the last one to the party....so what do they have to lose, besides their loyal fan base?
^^ Waiting a few months until they put it together is not a problem....I just want to see what they will come up with so I can see if I should wait or start putting an order on an Audi
So odd that they have spent so much time advertising the NSX for a year now???? For a car that will sell in single digit numbers and have no appreciable impact on their bottom line, but their money making sedan there is nothing. It is kind of status quo for Honda/Acura but I think they seriously need to reconsider their marketing approach. Or maybe there are making some last minute adjustments. There have been some botched roll outs recently, they can't afford to do that.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:20 AM
Suzuka Master

^^^^
They are trying to develop a halo for the line & maybe thought it would help the upmarket RLX justify its pricing.

On a personal note, was waiting for the initial StingRay release fever to break & also looking at the Porsche Boxer for next summer. Then the devil struck & I got an attack of semi instant gratification & bought a Factory Five Cobra kit. Engine has been delivered & car is due in on Jan 18th. Some pics of so far are on the race section thread.

Gone very far to the Dark Side - Cobra Kit

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/gone-very-far-dark-side-cobra-kit-900740/
Old 12-10-2013, 06:38 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
^^^^
They are trying to develop a halo for the line & maybe thought it would help the upmarket RLX justify its pricing.

On a personal note, was waiting for the initial StingRay release fever to break & also looking at the Porsche Boxer for next summer. Then the devil struck & I got an attack of semi instant gratification & bought a Factory Five Cobra kit. Engine has been delivered & car is due in on Jan 18th. Some pics of so far are on the race section thread.

Gone very far to the Dark Side - Cobra Kit

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900740

WOW!! that looks like it's going to be a ton of fun.. I have always lusted after the Cobra for the sheer raw power it delivers..

Good Luck
Old 12-10-2013, 06:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JT4
WOW!! that looks like it's going to be a ton of fun.. I have always lusted after the Cobra for the sheer raw power it delivers..

Good Luck
Thanks Works out to 5lbs per horsepower. Have not driven anything that strong in a very long time. Will take it to drivers school at VIR when its done.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
I get all excited when I see new post to this thread thinking I will get a peak at a TLX. Whoops, I guess I just disappointed the next person.
The following 2 users liked this post by keith7120:
3gstealth (12-10-2013), JT4 (12-11-2013)
Old 12-11-2013, 06:56 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by keith7120
I get all excited when I see new post to this thread thinking I will get a peak at a TLX. Whoops, I guess I just disappointed the next person.
^^ You just did....LOL
Old 12-11-2013, 11:58 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
My hunch: Acura is silently "listening" to online postings re: complaints about the boring design of the RLX and also on the underachieving ILX. Acura is probably also listening to the positive comments on the upcoming NSX.

Thus the TLX is back on the drawing board for a redesign (along with the ILX's MMC). Or so I hope, if Acura has any brains.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Bear that seems like an awesome project, props to you how having the know how to build it. The shell is also beautiful! What color will yours be? How's the handling going to be on that; lots of power, very narrow?
Old 12-11-2013, 03:04 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by docboy
My hunch: Acura is silently "listening" to online postings re: complaints about the boring design of the RLX and also on the underachieving ILX. Acura is probably also listening to the positive comments on the upcoming NSX.

Thus the TLX is back on the drawing board for a redesign (along with the ILX's MMC). Or so I hope, if Acura has any brains.
No, they won't.

They don't listen to customers' complaints, all that they look at is the monthly sales figures.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Drifting

Re-design something a few months before it's supposed to be unveiled/go on sale? Not sure about that. In the spyshots, you can tell the grille is going to be RLX-like, so I doubt they change that. What's baffling is why we've seen or heard nothing else about it. The only thing I can think is, like you said, they're waiting on reaction with the RLX, but what, I don't know. Maybe pricing? Pricing would affect what's offered in the car.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:25 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
No, they won't.

They don't listen to customers' complaints, all that they look at is the monthly sales figures.

In essence, and indirectly, that's a form of customer complaint. If it doesn't sell, quite a few people are either complaining or not giving a flip. lol.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Acura has already told you in a commercial that they do not care much about what other people think of their designs. This is what they say in the Acura RLX commercial titled "Other Route":

"When we created the Acura RLX, we decided to take the other route
We believe luxury isn't about bling or flash
Courage invites critics
Go ahead, future innovations are born from conversations
Sometimes the road that is less traveled is the one that surprises you.
Introducing the Acura RLX."

The only time Honda listened and cared enough to redesign very quickly was when Civic sales PLUMMETED due to general customer rejection of the design and materials used. I don't think the TLXs design will be awe inspiring and revolutionary. It will be based on the Accord and will be refreshed with some cosmetic changes 2-3 yrs after release. Its what they do.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:16 PM
Drifting

I don't have a problem with them taking their time if they're trying to get it right. I've already seen my first and second choices (ATS and Q50) sit on the sidelines for now due to the quality control/bugs they've had since release. I know there are former members of this forum who have had huge issues with those vehicles within weeks of buying it. I don't want to be one of those people.

I'm among the weirdos that hold onto a car for 7-10+ years, so I don't want to say "so what if it has issues, I can get into another car in 2 or 3 years". Can I afford to buy a new car every 2 or 3 years? Sure. But I have no interest in doing it. I don't care about having the best handling or fastest accelerating vehicle in my segment. Most of my week with the car is spent sitting in traffic.

I want Acura to knock out any bugs they're finding, but it's still bizarre we're seeing more previews, info, ads, and spyshots of Honda vehicles and low-volume RLX than we are of the TLX.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts

Nope, don't think so. The TLX is too far in for any major redesign, best they can do is tweak fascia and rear end at this point, maybe some body lines, but I think it is 95% locked.

Quick Reply: When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?