When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 10:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
No way they can wait that long. CLA and CTS due any day, IS and Q50 out already, early 14 will see the A3 in the mix as well followed by new Genesis, they will be the last car in the class to be released. Every month they wait are long term sales lost. Especially with the US economy picking up and car sales booming.

The car is clearly about ready since it was spotted testing, they do not need to wait 10 months. I still think production unveil in Detroit in January with March on sale date.
Honda Australlia said the Accord Euro (2G TSX) will be on sale until the end of 2014. There is no mention any new sedan from any of Motorshows from EU to Asia. Acura is I think busy designing that small SUV for Chinese and global market. that was the motor show preview.
usually within two years Acura concept goes into production.
offcourse they can always rush some half baked design into production if sedan sales collapse.
2015 may see BMW 3 series MMC. that 328d is very good deal compared to Hybrid.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:53 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Having said that, it wouldn't be a bad idea to 'tease' the new car a little more. But this is true to form. If its an all new model, they show early (NSX) but if there is a version in production (TL and TSX) they tend to delay to 'preserve' sales of the current model. IMO, at the current sales rates for these two cars, why not show early? Not much to 'lose' there.
This above is what I'm worried about wrt TLX. As you mentioned above, the upcoming NSX is being teased well before its release, and is generally touted as exciting and has a "I can't wait feeling." I've seen videos, numerous spy pics, concept models, etc.

The 2010 4G TL 6MT was teased >1 year prior to its production, and garnered comparisons with the G35, 335, and S4 well before its release. It also generated good press within the enthusiast crowd; I recall Acura even released a comparo test with its counterparts.

The 2015 TLX so far has.... a few cameo pics??? No confirmed rumors, no pre press comparos, not a peep of performance/sports related fun stuff. Not even a tease.

Meanwhile, the CLA and IS has what appears to have been plenty of prerelease exposure and numerous articles touting its performance abilities. And currently: the new IS is selling well, the CLA is about to go on sale, and TL (and TSX) sales are declining. And what does Acura do? Release the 2014 TL that is essentially the 2012 TL MMC.

I hope I'm wrong on this, and hope the TLX gives us the design and performance edge we fans (or at least me) are looking for. If not, I maintain my stance that the 4G TL 6MT is going to be a collector's item... and that short of the MDX or RDX, my next vehicle may not be an Acura.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Maybe with the RLX not doing well they are making some last minute changes to the TLX in line with customer reviews of the new model.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
If they come up with a primarily FWD option with bland looks like the RLX it will be dead in the water. The entry and mid sized luxury market is extremely competitive. The Germans, Lexus and Infiniti have all brought their "A" game. A 5 or 6 speed automatic FWD sedan just will not cut it.
The following users liked this post:
MtnMan (09-19-2013)
Old 09-19-2013, 09:28 PM
2011 CBP TL Tech

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JT4
Thanks for the info. So out of 12,017,580 posts on this forum 480 of were in reference to Acura styling as “fugly” or whatever the word of the days was. So this is approx 0.00004%. And out of a total of 647,759 threads, 90 of them were in reference to Acura styling as “fugly", approx 0.00014%.

Just as I thought a very small percentage, I guess I can keep my Acura a little longer, or at least until someone tells me it's repulsive then it's gone.
This made me giggle a little bit.

Originally Posted by JAB00
If they come up with a primarily FWD option with bland looks like the RLX it will be dead in the water. The entry and mid sized luxury market is extremely competitive. The Germans, Lexus and Infiniti have all brought their "A" game. A 5 or 6 speed automatic FWD sedan just will not cut it.
Agreed. Stiff competition from the Germans, Lexus, and Infiniti... If they're even thinking 5 speed.... they've already lost. If the TLX looks anything remotely close to the RLX... they've already lost. Dead in the water is a good way to put it.

And yes... for the love of god... put some spy shots out there for us.

I don't even care to own the TLX... i'm more interested that the brand itself.. that Acura.. does something for its own image. I'm more interested to see Acura produce something amazing whether i own it or not. I just want to see Acura do something stunning... which they arguably... have not done in a while.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Safety Car

I mentioned 328D (320D in EU). it achieved 60 mpg with 6MT compared to 47mpg for IS300H. (IS300H is 218bhp CVT hybrid). It EU cycle but you get idea how far the diesel tech has moved.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/3-s...320d-vs-rivals

Acura need hybrid with over 45 mpg and atleast 250 bhp.
This thing will be competitive even with starting price of $40k.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
I mentioned 328D (320D in EU). it achieved 60 mpg with 6MT compared to 47mpg for IS300H. (IS300H is 218bhp CVT hybrid). It EU cycle but you get idea how far the diesel tech has moved.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/3-s...320d-vs-rivals

Acura need hybrid with over 45 mpg and atleast 250 bhp.
This thing will be competitive even with starting price of $40k.
I would love an acura like you describe however the 328D is rated significantly lower in surface driving and highway driving in the US (on all the websites I looked up and in the US you pay more for diesel http://www.carsdirect.com/2014/bmw/328d/specs Car and driver suggest a MT might get up to 20% higher but MT doesn't have much impact on the highway.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:51 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by boe_d
I would love an acura like you describe however the 328D is rated significantly lower in surface driving and highway driving in the US (on all the websites I looked up and in the US you pay more for diesel http://www.carsdirect.com/2014/bmw/328d/specs Car and driver suggest a MT might get up to 20% higher but MT doesn't have much impact on the highway.
the point is 328D with 6MT beat CVT IS300H by wide margin in same test. so there is greater chance of 328d beating EPA figures in real driving than ES300H hybrid. add to that 328d 4 year free maintainance. and this car is bargain.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:30 AM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Here new Acura 2015 TLX! featuring acura dream earth engine 360HP SH-AWD!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
While the photoshop is a nice render, the amount of hp available is going to be based on the RLX hybrid. I do not think Acura will endow the TLX with more HP then the RLX, which really needs the HP.

I'm guessing the TLX hybrid will be in the same ballpark as the Q50 hybrid give or take a few HP.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
In spite of the lackluster debut of the RLX, I still have a lot of confidence that Acura is not going to disappoint with the TLX. That is their bread and butter sedan and they know the stakes. They know that most people didn't like the styling of the 4G TL and have heard all of the gripes about its shortcomings. (The 4G is still a great car, in my opinion.) I have a sneaking suspicion that we're going to be pleasantly surprised with the 5G. I hope I'm right. The way time flies, the wait won't be that much longer. If they blow it, they blow it but I think they're going to be much closer to the mark on the 5G. The new Accord is so much better than the one it replaced that I have to give equal consideration to the 5G. Keep your fingers crossed and let's hope for the best.
The following 2 users liked this post by a35tl:
Acura_Dude (09-21-2013), VQPower37 (09-21-2013)
Old 09-21-2013, 12:16 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by a32tl
In spite of the lackluster debut of the RLX, I still have a lot of confidence that Acura is not going to disappoint with the TLX. That is their bread and butter sedan and they know the stakes. They know that most people didn't like the styling of the 4G TL and have heard all of the gripes about its shortcomings. (The 4G is still a great car, in my opinion.) I have a sneaking suspicion that we're going to be pleasantly surprised with the 5G. I hope I'm right. The way time flies, the wait won't be that much longer. If they blow it, they blow it but I think they're going to be much closer to the mark on the 5G. The new Accord is so much better than the one it replaced that I have to give equal consideration to the 5G. Keep your fingers crossed and let's hope for the best.
150%
Old 09-21-2013, 12:43 PM
Racer

Last one. Another photoshop. I think they need to make their Acura emblem little bit larger. I know they made it small because it has to be in the shield grill.

Last edited by yooin14; 09-21-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Racer

I accidentally deleted 2nd pic. lol
Old 09-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I think if you look at the 2014 mdx - the next gen TL will have the direct inj earth dreams engine much like the 2014 mdx and will be avail again much like the 2014 mdx as either fwd or with SH-AWD -

the SH-AWD just like the 2014 mdx - (not hybrid SH-AWD like the RLX ) but much like it is now -

with this - (from the acura mdx web site) = "Precision handling is enhanced with the Agile Handling Assist system. Agile Handling Assist uses the components of the Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA®)12system to further improve handling. While VSA brakes individual wheels to avoid oversteer or understeer, Agile Handing Assist uses active braking— usually on an inside wheel—to help you smoothly and easily trace the desired line through a curve.

and this other mdx item- "The Integrated Dynamic System (IDS) enables you to choose the feel of the dynamic responses within your vehicle. With a button located by the shifter, you can change from the “Normal” setting to “Sport” to increase steering feel and quicken throttle response. On Super Handling All-Wheel Drive® models, the system more aggressively distributes power to outside wheels in a curve.

A third “Comfort” setting creates an even lighter power steering feel.
The Multi-Information Display (MID) informs you of your steering setting after it has been changed. You can also set the MID to continuously display your IDS setting.
Two MDX key holders can each have their preferred IDS setting stored in memory, so the individual IDS preference is automatically set when you enter the driver’s seat.
The IDS and transmission’s Sport settings can be synchronized for a more engaged driving experience or engaged separately."
Old 09-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by yooin14

It looks like a 3G TL mixed with a TSX with Jewel Headlights
Old 09-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
We can only hope and pray that Honda has learned from it's recent faults .....IE: the latest RLX offered. Perhaps the delay was caused by the poor RLX reception and the design team is now feverishly tweaking the upcoming new TLX into a tighter sports luxury sedan that will ultimately make a statement.

This is Acura's last big chance to be a much more desirable and competitive upper scale sedan in a highly contested marketplace. They gotta get it right as the stakes are very high ! Honda has vastly improved upon the latest Accord and can ultimately succeed implementing the right hardware and technology offered with the new TLX. But.....they must enlighten our souls with more spirited styling, otherwise they have missed their golden opportunity IMO.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Racer

My last photoshop. it was fun
Old 09-22-2013, 08:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts

I dig this, with a few minor exceptions. The lower front fascia is pure MMC 4G which to me while non-offensive needs some work. I like the 3G style grille and doubt Acura would ever go back since they are so committed to the new tamed down beak.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

looks good but the emblem is not looking right. it does look like a 4th gen with jewel headlights and 3g grille.

unfortunately, acura is sticking with the retarded beak
Old 09-23-2013, 03:34 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,160 Likes on 829 Posts
Originally Posted by crxb

and this other mdx item- "The Integrated Dynamic System (IDS) enables you to choose the feel of the dynamic responses within your vehicle. With a button located by the shifter, you can change from the “Normal” setting to “Sport” to increase steering feel and quicken throttle response. On Super Handling All-Wheel Drive® models, the system more aggressively distributes power to outside wheels in a curve.

A third “Comfort” setting creates an even lighter power steering feel.
The Multi-Information Display (MID) informs you of your steering setting after it has been changed. You can also set the MID to continuously display your IDS setting.
Two MDX key holders can each have their preferred IDS setting stored in memory, so the individual IDS preference is automatically set when you enter the driver’s seat.
The IDS and transmission’s Sport settings can be synchronized for a more engaged driving experience or engaged separately."
Trust me.

This IDS is purely a gimmick.

Even at the normal mode (let alone the comfort mode), the steering wheel feels numb and overly-assisted. The sport mode should be the only setting that the new MDX deserves.

I'll rather that Acura could bring back the driver-selectable Magneto-Rheological Active Damping Suspension System that was used back on the 2G MDX, rather than that IDS gimmick.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Here new Acura 2015 TLX! featuring acura dream earth engine 360HP SH-AWD!
This would be my first choice of the two although I'd prefer the emblem be a little more vertically centered. Not sure what Acura's thinking; what is the point of a front grill if it is filled up with a great big bar? If it isn't necessary fill the whole thing in - the current 2014 happy face is silly. If you go to the web page, the first photo is of the trunk - even they know the front is a strong point of contention. There is no reason for the sag in the middle if the bottom is still parallel with the road - it is only to create a happy face which isn't making the salespeople happy. This isn't some kids movie "Cars" - there is no need to anthropomorphize my vehicle and make it look silly.

Last edited by boe_d; 09-23-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
LOL...MDX shows the rear end too if you click on it. Just a coincidence and your own opinion. If you hover over the TL tab the pop up shows the front end.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

Again nice work. However, if the TLX favors the 3g or 4g I will probably pass. I like and have owned the 3g and I'm currently in a 2013 SH-AWD but I don't want the TLX to resemble them at all. I have owned every gen of the TL but if its dated like any of your pics I will follow my lust of the Q50 or a used ZDX.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TeamAcura
LOL...MDX shows the rear end too if you click on it. Just a coincidence and your own opinion. If you hover over the TL tab the pop up shows the front end.
You are correct, it is just my opinion. Just not used to any other car site I go to having their first link in that car selection to show the caboose.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:42 PM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
I was picking up some parts for the NSX over the weekend and a sales guy was talking up the TLX saying it will be available in Sedan, then coupe, then convertible. I got a good laugh, not saying this is true or not but hard to believe coming from a sales guy from Acura
Old 09-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by mugen_kid
I was picking up some parts for the NSX over the weekend and a sales guy was talking up the TLX saying it will be available in Sedan, then coupe, then convertible. I got a good laugh, not saying this is true or not but hard to believe coming from a sales guy from Acura
I don't find the sedan (duh) and coupe far-fetched. The convertible? That one would blow my mind.

Blow my mind, Acura.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:34 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
I don't find the sedan (duh) and coupe far-fetched. The convertible? That one would blow my mind.

Blow my mind, Acura.
A coupe would be nice to compete with this..... Even if they don't sell that many, it at least looks like they are trying.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:43 PM
Summer is Coming

Meanwhile in Hybrid land... Honda finally released pricing on their Accord hybrids. (see ToV). The hybrids seem to have more features than their non-hybrid counterparts...

Base Hybrid - $29,155
Hybrid EX-L - $31,905
Hybrid Touring - $34,905

Non Hybrid EX-L - $29,270
Touring V6 - $33,480
Old 09-24-2013, 02:45 AM
Safety Car

50mpg for city huge savings. Accord/TSX usually gets 25mpg in the city.
we have to see what kind of performance hybrid Accord deliver.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Meanwhile in Hybrid land... Honda finally released pricing on their Accord hybrids. (see ToV). The hybrids seem to have more features than their non-hybrid counterparts...

Base Hybrid - $29,155
Hybrid EX-L - $31,905
Hybrid Touring - $34,905

Non Hybrid EX-L - $29,270
Touring V6 - $33,480
Nice catch. I like the layout of the cockpit. Who knows, maybe I'll get one of these instead of a TLX after the first production year. http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/23/2...ybrid-pricing/
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-...photo-1074237/

Last edited by boe_d; 09-24-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:25 AM
Summer is Coming

Nice catch. I like the layout of the cockpit. Who knows, maybe I'll get one of these instead of a TLX after the first production year. http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/23/2...ybrid-pricing/
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-...photo-1074237/
Many expect the TLX to also come in the hybrid drivetrain. The new Accord hybrid technology seems to get pretty good reviews. For me it is about the compromise of practical trunk space versus the benefit of the hybrid. If the non-hybrid TLX can get mid 30's mpg than I'd probably pass on the hybrid. If Honda had built the hybrid platform from the ground up to be a hybrid, and allocated space for the batteries other than the trunk (the easy way out) then that could be a really attractive option. That is if it doesn't look like a Prius.

A TLX Hybrid could blow away the Q50 hybrid (maybe they are not quite competitors) which barely seems to get 30's to mid 30's and has a tiny trunk. The MKZ hybrid which is expected to be 40% of MKZ sales barely gets 40 mpg, but is priced the same as the entry gasser drive train (smart) and has some usable trunk space. Acura could find a niche market for a hybrid TLX. Most people on this forum want max power, but the market is larger than the enthusiast.

Last edited by Rocket_man; 09-25-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:38 AM
6G TLX-S

^^^^^

While talking about the Q50, the current issue Road & Track magazine does a comparo on the Q50, IS350, 335I, and ATS-V6; and the Q50 is ranked dead last.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Many expect the TLX to also come in the hybrid drivetrain. The new Accord hybrid technology seems to get pretty good reviews. For me it is about the compromise of practical trunk space versus the benefit of the hybrid. If the non-hybrid TLX can get mid 30's mpg than I'd probably pass on the hybrid. If Honda had built the hybrid platform from the ground up to be a hybrid, and allocated space for the batteries other than the trunk (the easy way out) then that could be a really attractive option. That is if it doesn't look like a Prius.

A TLX Hybrid could blow away the Q50 hybrid (maybe they are not quite competitors) which barely seems to get 30's to mid 30's and has a tiny trunk. The MKZ hybrid which is expected to be 40% of MKZ sales barely gets 40 mpg, but is priced the same as the entry gasser drive train (smart) and has some usable trunk space. Acura could find a niche market for a hybrid TLX. Most people on this forum want max power, but the market is larger than the enthusiast.
Infiniti hybrids are more about performance the fuel economy.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

While talking about the Q50, the current issue Road & Track magazine does a comparo on the Q50, IS350, 335I, and ATS-V6; and the Q50 is ranked dead last.
does anybody here buy cars based on road and track reviews?
McMilli501 (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 11:11 AM
6G TLX-S

^^^^^

Who else has the resources to fully test out the above-mentioned cars side-by-side, under the same test environments and under the same road conditions, all at the same time, other than them ?

These are not test results done by mickey-mouse drivers under random conditions.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

Who else has the resources to fully test out the above-mentioned cars side-by-side, under the same test environments and under the same road conditions, all at the same time, other than them ?

These are not test results done by mickey-mouse drivers under random conditions.
True, but I am looking for a good DD. So what if the back slides out or they didn't like the feel of the electric steering. I have to like it. And while I like the Q I can certainly keep an open mind enough to see if I like the TLX.

It's nice to know the Q goes to 60 in 5.2 seconds, but if I do the same on a street I'll end up with a ticket if the cop sees me, plus I want AWD.

It's nice to know how the car performs on a track, but at the end of the day, I'm buying a nice sporty ride to commute to work.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
I have a photo of a guy prepping the new NSX in Europe. The car has Honda emblem so they will still sell them with Honda's name in Europe. You would think that they would launch their new Super Car under Acura globally to gain some brand recognition...
Old 09-25-2013, 02:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by g37guy01
It's nice to know the Q goes to 60 in 5.2 seconds, but if I do the same on a street I'll end up with a ticket if the cop sees me, plus I want AWD..
WHEW someone else said it! I can't imagine where these people on this forum who want 400HP are driving their cars or what kind of yacht they are towing behind their vehicle. I completely understand wanting quick acceleration as 11 seconds for a prius is unacceptable but I'd also like good mpg. If I could get 7secs for acceleration and about 45 MPG I'd be thrilled. I wouldn't trade any MPG for HP - I'm not towing anything.
g37guy01 (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
WHEW someone else said it! I can't imagine where these people on this forum who want 400HP are driving their cars or what kind of yacht they are towing behind their vehicle. I completely understand wanting quick acceleration as 11 seconds for a prius is unacceptable but I'd also like good mpg. If I could get 7secs for acceleration and about 45 MPG I'd be thrilled. I wouldn't trade any MPG for HP - I'm not towing anything.
In a similar vein, I still lurk around the Corvette Forum having had a 1995 for 14 years until selling. The discussions I see on those types of forums really crack me up. There are endless discussions about how the new C7 compares with Porsche 911 or whatever and the folks pore over 0-60 times, 1/4-mile times, Nurburgring lap times like their life depended on it. Same thing with other specialty car forums where you see guys complaining that some car will go 0-60 in 4.4 seconds versus 4.2 seconds. I would be willing to bet that the reality for most of these guys (especially the ones spending up to 100K or more to get the latest and greatest) will be the occasional stop light to stop light race or garage queen status. Nevertheless they base their buying decision on which car is quicker around the Nurburgring.

Quick Reply: When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?