TLX in the wild... and new pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 10:16 AM
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Glashub
With all due respect -- who is that commercial speaking to? Do you think it'll make anyone want to go out for a test drive? What demo/psycho is it targeting? What is it really saying? Does it really show the TLX in a flattering light? That's my problem with Acura -- the muddled messaging. Finally, the Sex Pistols were a cynically "manufactured" band created by Malcolm McLaren. The lead singer on "My Way" (Sid Vicious) stabbed his girl friend to death in NYC. I hate that Acura would introduce a beautiful new car with a commercial like this.

Compare to commercial introducing the 2014 IS. It knows who it is talking to -- the exact same audience Lexus said it was targeting with the redesign. Hell, just looking at Taylor Godfrey (the girl) made me want to drive my car. "The 2014 Lexus IS -- It's your move." IMO a great commercial.

Crowd 2014 Lexus IS Commercial - YouTube
Funny because up until you mentionned the TLX, I thought you were talking about the Lexus commercial.

The Acura and the Lexus commercials couldn't be more different. Acura's: nerdy, humerous and down to earth. Lexus': Glamour, drama and fantasy. But to me, it's a cheesy attempt at glamour coming across as pretentious and fake (a woman and a man standing out from the crowd reaching for each other. Cheese! And who the hell dress like that? Trying too hard?). (BTW, at 0:38, they show the car in its worst angle possible. 0:49 and onward is cool though.) Just my opinion and I don't hate Lexus. That Acura commercial there isn't perfect either: the choice of song is terrible, though that in itself may help draw attention.

These two commercials are clear indication both cars are targetting very different crowds.

Last edited by dysonlu; 08-18-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:21 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry, the forum wouldn't let me edit the post above and apologize for the weird font.

A person shouldn't have to be an auto "insider" to get a commercial.

Finally, I've sat in on casting sessions. There are a 1000 girls as pretty as this Taylor Godfrey but the agency and Lexus saw something in her that conveys something they want conveyed. It's not like she's pretty -- lets go with her. It's all part of reaching to a demo/psycho -- young people who would never consider a Lexus over a BMW. Acura introduces a truly beautiful and magnificent car and we get Sid Vicious.

There's a reason Lexus is considered an elite brand -- commercials are a big part of it. The last great Acura commercial I remember? The one where a chasing dog runs into the back of a stopped TL with the voice over -- "It looks fast".
We get it. You don't like the commercial (fine). But don't assume that your viewpoint is the law and that everyone thinks like you.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by dysonlu
Funny because up until you mentionned the TLX, I thought you were talking about the Lexus commercial.
haha, I thought the same thing. not a fan of the lexus commercial personally, reminds me of that seinfeld episode with the puffy shirt. "but I don't wanna be a pirate!"
The following users liked this post:
JM2010 SH-AWD (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 10:32 AM
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts
There's a reason Lexus is considered an elite brand -- commercials are a big part of it.
Seriously? The commercials make Lexus an elite brand. That's a huge stretch. I don't remember any Lexus commercials...
Old 08-18-2014, 10:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Shiratori1
We get it. You don't like the commercial (fine). But don't assume that your viewpoint is the law and that everyone thinks like you.
@ Shiratori1 A little over the top aren't you? We're just going back and forth about commercials. I've been in marketing 12 years -- I may know a little bit about advertising since I've successfully launched hundreds of campaigns and have made advertisers millions of dollars. It's a little much when people are fanboys around commercials. Some posters made some good compelling points about the let them eat cake message -- I hadn't considered that. But I stand by my assertion that the TLX deserves a better commercial since this is a big deal for Acura.

@BookemDanole Of course they do. Are you just trying to agitate? Here is a list of the top 100 most valuable brands (Forbes). You won't find Acura there. But you will find Lexus. Each premium car manufacturer listed has a cogent clear message and their commercials support it.

http://www.forbes.com/powerful-brands/list/

See you guys later -- it's depressing to see fanboyism around a friggin' commercial conversation.

Last edited by Glashub; 08-18-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:36 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
There is nothing about that Lexus ad that makes me want to drive one. Obviously they are targeting a different age group than I am. It says to me that rich, young, party goers will want one and not to regular, hard and non-hard working folks.. *shrug*
Ps. If I see any of the Kardashians anywhere near a TLX... I'll defect to Geely!
The following 2 users liked this post by Tonyware:
Glashub (08-18-2014), Stew4HD (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 10:53 AM
Racer

@BookemDanole Of course they do. Are you just trying to agitate? Here is a list of the top 100 most valuable brands (Forbes). You won't find Acura there. But you will find Lexus. Each premium car manufacturer listed has a cogent clear message and their commercials support it.

See you guys later -- it's depressing to see fanboyism around a friggin' commercial conversation.
So what? That list is not the bible of anything -- as with any top-X list, it's just an over-simplication of something. Honda is a more "valuable" brand than Lexus. What does that mean then? That Honda's commercials are way way better than Lexus'? Does that mean Honda has better marketing than Lexus? No and no. Besides, that list is not even directly about marketing -- it's about financials.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
I've started to lose interest for this thread ...
The following 2 users liked this post by hadokenuh:
Healingduck (08-18-2014), randomRon82 (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 11:01 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with you guys and am very disappointed with the new TLX body style. As a 2010 TL owner I am now looking at CTS models instead. Actually forwarded this thread to Acura haha. They should listen if they like money.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:03 AM
Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 9-2014

Received 54 Likes on 21 Posts
I prefer the Acura commercial, and I do like the music. The Lexus commercial is completely different and nothing wrong with that I guess just not my bag. I enjoy seeing commercials where you see the people who are making the car as well as funny commercials (seen a few around SB time that crack me up not Acura/Lexus though), I generally find Lexus Ads take themselves too seriously.

I understand Glashubs opinion, as there is some interesting insights. The Acura is Ad is geared towards car people/enthusiasts the Lexus as style with not much substance... and style a lot of times is what people care about. Just my 2 pennies. Glashub don't take it personally, let it roll baby, ignore those who can't take some personal insight.
The following 2 users liked this post by brutustlx:
Glashub (08-18-2014), randomRon82 (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by brutustlx
ignore those who can't take some personal insight.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Personally, I am not a fan of the Lexus IS commercials, other than the ‘Track Honed’ one (
)… I am also not a fan of any of the Acura TLX commercials. Good marketing/commercial will make you say I want that/I need that. Although I do not find either brands commercials appealing, I do think that both The IS and TLX are great cars in this segment. I’d love to own a brand new 2014/15 Lexus IS 350 F Sport, which will not happen, but I think there would be no shame in owning a brand new Acura TLX V6. Both companies could make better commercials to promote these great cars, but unappealing commercials will not affect sales of these 2 cars. Just my humble opinion.
Glashub (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dysonlu
So what? That list is not the bible of anything -- as with any top-X list, it's just an over-simplication of something. Honda is a more "valuable" brand than Lexus. What does that mean then? That Honda's commercials are way way better than Lexus'? Does that mean Honda has better marketing than Lexus? No and no. Besides, that list is not even directly about marketing -- it's about financials.

Are you being like this on purpose? It's an ecosystem -- product, message, audience, rinse & repeat = brand equity.

Listen, provide data and links to support your arguments, okay? I did. Otherwise you're just wasting time. BTW, yes Honda would be a more valuable brand than Lexus worldwide and for a number of reasons you can research.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brutustlx
I prefer the Acura commercial, and I do like the music. The Lexus commercial is completely different and nothing wrong with that I guess just not my bag. I enjoy seeing commercials where you see the people who are making the car as well as funny commercials (seen a few around SB time that crack me up not Acura/Lexus though), I generally find Lexus Ads take themselves too seriously.

I understand Glashubs opinion, as there is some interesting insights. The Acura is Ad is geared towards car people/enthusiasts the Lexus as style with not much substance... and style a lot of times is what people care about. Just my 2 pennies. Glashub don't take it personally, let it roll baby, ignore those who can't take some personal insight.

One really doesn't get much substance on the IS given the lack of features even Kia's have. Good call.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:06 PM
Racer

Are you being like this on purpose? It's an ecosystem -- product, message, audience, rinse & repeat = brand equity.

Listen, provide data and links to support your arguments, okay? I did. Otherwise you're just wasting time. BTW, yes Honda would be a more valuable brand than Lexus worldwide and for a number of reasons you can research.
Link: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbade...d-the-numbers/

This supports my argument that the Forbes list is about financials and at the same time, it invalidates your argument, which claims that the commercials make Lexus an elite brand (it's not the commercials but the financials, based on Forbes' list).
CoquiTSX (08-22-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 02:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by silverTL6
Hmmm...I think I'd be happier with the prototype, but have no complaints if the Type-S ended up looking like the mockup

Damn It Acura! Give us these wheels!
Old 08-18-2014, 03:05 PM
__M|M__

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by Spectra Phantom:
Healingduck (08-18-2014), randomRon82 (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 03:15 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by abovetheclouds
Personally, I am not a fan of the Lexus IS commercials, other than the ‘Track Honed’ one ( Track Honed - Introducing the 2014 Lexus IS - YouTube )… I am also not a fan of any of the Acura TLX commercials. Good marketing/commercial will make you say I want that/I need that. Although I do not find either brands commercials appealing, I do think that both The IS and TLX are great cars in this segment. I’d love to own a brand new 2014/15 Lexus IS 350 F Sport, which will not happen, but I think there would be no shame in owning a brand new Acura TLX V6. Both companies could make better commercials to promote these great cars, but unappealing commercials will not affect sales of these 2 cars. Just my humble opinion.
When car companies start comparing themselves to other car companies in commercials then you can tell their own insecurities are killing them. Case and point that Lexus commercials that mentions BMS and Caddy.

I hope we won't see a TLX commercial comparing the TLX to any other car maker's cars. I hope!
Old 08-18-2014, 03:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ To an extent, didn't Acura do that with the RLX commercial with all teh other horses sporting a different brand's face?
Old 08-18-2014, 03:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonyware
That Lexus commercial is for "empty" inside people.
Isn't that who most tier 1 ads are aimed at
Old 08-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
When car companies start comparing themselves to other car companies in commercials then you can tell their own insecurities are killing them. Case and point that Lexus commercials that mentions BMS and Caddy.

I hope we won't see a TLX commercial comparing the TLX to any other car maker's cars. I hope!
Idk. That lexus commercial showing the german big 3 swinging back n forth with a voiceover touting the new v8 lexus is pretty compelling imo
Old 08-18-2014, 05:01 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
2007TL-TypeS I agree, I think that is a good commercial for Lexus... The GS is actual a V6.. Of course there are rumors if they make a Lexus GS F, that would have be a V8...
Old 08-18-2014, 08:07 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by skd2k1
haha, I thought the same thing. not a fan of the lexus commercial personally, reminds me of that seinfeld episode with the puffy shirt. "but I don't wanna be a pirate!"
I swear this is the first thing I thought when I saw that guy - Seinfeld and the puffy shirt. They're obviously catering to Seinfeld fans.
skd2k1 (08-19-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts
@ Shiratori1 A little over the top aren't you? We're just going back and forth about commercials. I've been in marketing 12 years -- I may know a little bit about advertising since I've successfully launched hundreds of campaigns and have made advertisers millions of dollars. It's a little much when people are fanboys around commercials. Some posters made some good compelling points about the let them eat cake message -- I hadn't considered that. But I stand by my assertion that the TLX deserves a better commercial since this is a big deal for Acura.

Yes, I'm just trying to agitate

No, I just don't think the commercials make Lexus elite. Lexus' quality, styling, luxury and reliability make them elite. The commercials only help shape the image. With your logic, all a company has to do is hire some major NY advertising company, and boom, you're now elite.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Or is the reason we havent seen it because they arent in, or havent been in a position to actually compare to others
Old 08-18-2014, 08:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BookemDanole
Yes, I'm just trying to agitate

No, I just don't think the commercials make Lexus elite. Lexus' quality, styling, luxury and reliability make them elite. The commercials only help shape the image. With your logic, all a company has to do is hire some major NY advertising company, and boom, you're now elite.
I dont think he meant that the commercial was the sole reason and i think you know that and what he was getting to and are just sticking to that one point of his argument to keep agitation going. Lexus has built a reputation which is helping them with that status, continuing to produce a wanted product, and yes, their ads/marketing. Acura has in just about every case gotten an F in advertising. If they were to improve that i wouldnt doubt they would be slightly more successful, or at least increase peoples knowledge of them/the brand.

Last edited by fsttyms1; 08-19-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Glashub (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 08:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by skd2k1
Yea, but that would be copyright infringement, Acura already has JS on the team
skd2k1 (08-19-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 09:37 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Duchebags are invading this thread unfortunately.
Here are some pics my friend took:
weather & ostrich these are for you!

The following 3 users liked this post by MuGen7Modulo:
Glashub (08-18-2014), ostrich (08-18-2014), randomRon82 (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 09:48 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by MuGen7Modulo
Here are some pics my friend took:
weather & ostrich these are for you!

Thanks, man!

Now, I wonder if it has that scrumptious espresso interior!? If it does, then it's MY car, but it has to be ebony to be Weather's.... LOL! I have to say that I am not sure if that body kit makes it look better or not.... I probably will be happy without it.

At this point in time, I am really attracted to that black + espresso combo but I will never keep it clean enough to look good though.... LOL! Maybe I will just stick with this white + brown idea. Or just go with Slate Silver + black!!! Hmm....

Hopefully, the TLX will be arriving in Calgary this week! Just HOPING...
Old 08-18-2014, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Man that car looks well built. The gaps are just perfect. It really looks like a precision machined car. I'm impressed. Tell me, one thing that was noticeable on my 2005 and my 2010 is that the bumpers were a slightly different shade in certain lighting than the body. You guys noticing that on the TLX?
Old 08-18-2014, 09:57 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Man that car looks well built. The gaps are just perfect. It really looks like a precision machined car. I'm impressed. Tell me, one thing that was noticeable on my 2005 and my 2010 is that the bumpers were a slightly different shade in certain lighting than the body. You guys noticing that on the TLX?
I keep meaning to look for this on the white cars I see, but I never remember. And now that I've told myself to remember for the next time I'm at the dealership, I know I'm going to forget.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:20 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Espresso is!

Old 08-18-2014, 10:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
The white/espresso combo looks great. The debate for me is now between Copper Black or White, but I think the espresso will be the choice for interior.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts

The following 3 users liked this post by randomRon82:
Cmyoung (10-13-2014), holografique (08-21-2014), ostrich (08-19-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 11:27 PM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts
I must say, this car really turned out to be gorgeous. I am really under the impression Acura went in and did some last minute details to accentuate that body more, maybe adding more body lines to the car and smoothing out the edges. Car looks so much better then those pics you took earlier of the Blue Car RON.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:35 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mugen7modulo
espresso is!

yay! Espresso rocks!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)
Old 08-19-2014, 12:37 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by randomRon82

Oh my goodness, Ron, are you tempting me now with a Black on Espresso TLX with 19" accessory wheels!? Oh my............ this thing is GORGEOUS!

White on Espresso

OR

Black on Espresso

???
Old 08-19-2014, 12:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Man that bolt on bodykit is awful especially the rear. Lol. All hope lies on ronjon now...
AcuraHonda415 (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 04:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by mondster
Man that bolt on bodykit is awful especially the rear. Lol. All hope lies on ronjon now...
The rear kit on the TLX looks much better than the 4G one!
Old 08-19-2014, 07:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MuGen7Modulo

Quick Reply: TLX in the wild... and new pics