2009 Acura TL/CL Type-S-Merged Threads-All 2009 topics will be merged here

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ac Man
You are comparing Acuras, which are old and on the way to being replaced by hot new shit from other car companies. Our gen TL has been out since 2003! Of course some of the features and specs are going to seem dated to a brand new Audi or infiniti. Use common sense people, the car is FIVE YEARS OLD!
Very important and valid point.

As I look at the dash of my wife's 2003 Infiniti G35 sedan, I see a nice, shiny cassette tape deck staring back at me. As I recall the dash from my brother's former 2003 IS300, I remember a nice, shiny cassette tape deck glaring at me. Both of which match the lovely cassette tape deck in my 2004 Acura TL. When the G35 had its MMC, it came out of it with...a nice, shiny cassette tape deck. Same as the 2007 MMC for the TL. Now--only after the IS and G sedan have been completely redesigned--do they have all the latest technology. I anticipate the same from Acura. And with good reason; take a look at the dash from the NEW Acura TSX:

No shiny cassette tape deck!
Old 03-27-2008, 09:40 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like having the shiny cassette tape deck. They didn't sacrifice horsepower so we can have a tape deck. We still had CD, Navi, and satellite radio. Plus, you guys love to mod your cars. What difference does it make what it looks like from factory...we plan to change it anyway right? If the grille looks like that, or if it looks ok...you still plan to change it. We changed the other one and it wasn't hideous right? Well...I did...hahaha!

I honestly don't get how you guys can rant about a car that you have not seen yet and may be totally designed the way you like by the time you do...
Old 03-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Tee EL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No I don't work for Acura, but I can only speak for my situation. I have a 2005 TL with Nav and I have NEVER had issues with my car. EVER. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, I don't know. Sorry if you've had issues in the past, but like you said yourself, what car company doesn't have issues, so you already answered you own question about reliability. Now about technolgy. Who do you think started all this hands free, bluetooth, voice recgonition, Nav Traffic/weather, DVD Audio, SH-AWD, etc in the first place? Acura. You are comparing Acuras, which are old and on the way to being replaced by hot new shit from other car companies. Our gen TL has been out since 2003! Of course some of the features and specs are going to seem dated to a brand new Audi or infiniti. Use common sense people, the car is FIVE YEARS OLD!

And I hate to say use common sense, because common sense ain't common. Everybody doesn't have common sense, but we should all try at least. I'm not some advocate or employee for Acura, I'm just an enthusiast, just like some of you CLAIM to be. When I make my posts, I try to think before I speak and not let my emotions get the best of me. Yes, when I first saw the MMC RL I was disappointed, but guess what? I don't want an RL, I want a TL. When I saw the new TSX I thought, "It's okay", but guess what? I don't want the new TSX, I want a TL. So I say that to say this, I'll save all the negative talk and Acura design bashing if I'm disappointed in the look of the car that I WANT, which is the new TL.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:44 PM
'06 TL 5AT NAV Anthracite

No I don't work for Acura, but I can only speak for my situation. I have a 2005 TL with Nav and I have NEVER had issues with my car. EVER. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, I don't know. Sorry if you've had issues in the past, but like you said yourself, what car company doesn't have issues, so you already answered you own question about reliability. Now about technolgy. Who do you think started all this hands free, bluetooth, voice recgonition, Nav Traffic/weather, DVD Audio, SH-AWD, etc in the first place? Acura. You are comparing Acuras, which are old and on the way to being replaced by hot new shit from other car companies. Our gen TL has been out since 2003! Of course some of the features and specs are going to seem dated to a brand new Audi or infiniti. Use common sense people, the car is FIVE YEARS OLD!

And I hate to say use common sense, because common sense ain't common. Everybody doesn't have common sense, but we should all try at least. I'm not some advocate or employee for Acura, I'm just an enthusiast, just like some of you CLAIM to be. When I make my posts, I try to think before I speak and not let my emotions get the best of me. Yes, when I first saw the MMC RL I was disappointed, but guess what? I don't want an RL, I want a TL. When I saw the new TSX I thought, "It's okay", but guess what? I don't want the new TSX, I want a TL. So I say that to say this, I'll save all the negative talk and Acura design bashing if I'm disappointed in the look of the car that I WANT, which is the new TL.
I totally agree. I think the 3rdGEN TL is still well equipped and doesn't have much in the way of creature comforts to gain to stay competitive. Also, my '06 TL, 5AT, NAVI has been pretty much trouble-free like all of our Hondas (My wife and I has owned 5 of them). My sole issue was a squeaking driver's seat in it's early days which the dealer finally nailed after 3 attempts. I think the problems listed here is pretty much to be expected from a car at the end of it's production cycle.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:20 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 03-28-2008, 03:47 AM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1...100% agreed..acura isnt stupid - they know what their up agaisnt - its just a matter of time
Old 03-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteThaPitbull
+1...100% agreed..acura isnt stupid - they know what their up agaisnt - its just a matter of time
Ah, but that's just it. The new TSX and RL have given a lot of people pause and left them wondering if Acura really does know what they're up against. The new design language their offering is not winning much praise so far.

The market has shifted substantially in the last five years, and while the TL has aged well, it has still aged. If Acura makes the mistake of retarding what the next TL can be for fear of cannibalizing the RL, they're going to end up losing more ground in this class.

I continue to hold off on my next car purchase waiting to see what the new TL will bring to the game. My enthusiasm and expectations have certainly been reduced based on what Acura has shown so far.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Pro

Oh and about the ipod thing. Show me ANY car in this class from model year 2004 - 2007 that doesn't need to be rigged to play an ipod? At least Acura tried with the Musiclink (I know it was a piece of shit, but hey, they tried!) How many car companies even tried to have ipod integration from factory? Sure, everyone is doing it now in 2007 - 2008. But Acura tried this back in 2005, when ipod popularity was starting to really take off. I think many people are being enticed by "fool's gold". Sure these new cars look good and have nice features and mouth watering specs, but are they REALLY good cars? It was mentioned that there are plenty of threads on here about problems that Acuras have. Well has anyone been on a Caddillac, Audi, Infiniti, Lexus, BMW, etc. forum? They have issues too, just like us. So don't think that because you hop into a brand new Audi or whatever, that the problems you experienced with Acura you won't experience elsewhere.
"Fool's Gold"??? I am on my 3rd Infiniti M. It has all the bells/whistles, I-Pod integration and music hard drive, and I've never had any issues with any of my Infinitis. My '08 M35 Sport is not only a GOOD car... it is a GREAT car. (We also have an '07 FX35 which replaced an '04 FX35.) In fact, I owned an '04 TL and an '05 RL, and traded the RL for an '06 M45 Sport. I've never looked back. I had many more issues with my RL (like a 4-part recall) than I have had with any Infiniti.

The TL is a great car and has aged well, but don't throw Infiniti under the bus just because their cars have new technology and the TL doesn't. They are quite reliable. I'm sure the next-gen TL will have amazing technology, but it is somewhat behind at the present time. If it makes you feel better, so is Lexus. Re: Cadillac, they are scoring quite high for reliability these days.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
All great if true. 350 HP with SH-AWD = ; 320-ish, meh, not so much.
Agreed...sounds promising if true...

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Typically the Type-S has launched a couple of years after new model introduction.

A "good" DSG is faster than manual shifting, but there is a weight penalty.

...and added cost. AWD, DSG, etc, etc...sounds like the Type S will be a fair amount more expensive.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Here's what I think:

Acura would have to be insane to put anything more than 290 hp through the front wheels. I don't believe that the TL will have 300 hp through the front wheels. Either give it SH-AWD, or less power.

The Type-S will almost definetely have SH-AWD. I think 350 is just a tad too optimistic, maybe 340-345. Acura has never really been about power.

The TL (both base and Type-S) will defintely come with a slew of new technology features that will once again shoot it ahead of everything else in it's class. This is necessary because history tells up that Acura doesnt really do much with technology during a mid-cycle refresh, meaning that this technology will have to be at least acceptable by about 2014, when the 5g will likely come out.

I don't think the TL will come with a DSG-type transmission. Not for the base TL, anyways. If they were to debut this technology, it would have been on the 2009 TSX, which it isn't, meaning it will likely come out with the 2010 NSX, which would have better use for such technology. if anything, it will come out on the NSX, then be available when the Type-S comes out.

There will likely NOT be a manual transmission option. the base TL, like now, will come probably ONLY with a regular slushbox, maybe a six-speed. the 2012 Type-S, as stated before, will debut with the DSG type transmission, assuming it will be debuted on the NSX, which is scheduled for 2010.

What I know for sure is this: the new TL will be bigger, more powerful, more tech-laden, more luxurious.

the sportiness and handling will hopefully stay about the same, assuming SH-AWD will not be offered on the base TL.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
When the 3g came out, yes i was just a little kid, but it was kind of hard for me to tell the difference between it and the TSX. Same for the previous (non SH-AWD) RL and 2g TL. This unfortunately means the 4g TL will look just as ugly as the RL and TSX
Old 03-30-2008, 01:17 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Fyre Man
When the 3g came out, yes i was just a little kid, but it was kind of hard for me to tell the difference between it and the TSX. Same for the previous (non SH-AWD) RL and 2g TL. This unfortunately means the 4g TL will look just as ugly as the RL and TSX
What do you know...you're just a snotty-nosed young'un!

Hahaha...just fucking with you FM...
Old 03-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Fyre Man

I remeber when they both came out. They do have some resemblance but I was able to distinguished them easily cause I fell in love with the TL. I knew I was going to be own a TL and not a TSX.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:52 PM
2nd Gear

So does anybody have any leads, or heard anything on when the new TL is supposed to premiere. Im holding out on buying a new car, until i see what the new TL looks like. I really hope acura hits a homerun with the new TL like they did with the current generation TL.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Indian Acura Driver

Did anyone else notice the Stig-Like Introduction?

I believe the 3.5 V6 will be unchanged, or at most be 290... Honda knows that 285 with the FWD system cannot handle much more...and to give 290 does cut into RL sales, which if the woman mentioned a couple of pages ago at the auto show, is right then we will just see 285.

285, with more weight, would probably keep this in the high fives for 0-60 and whatnot. Not a slug, but i believe it would keep up with a 328 and C300, as well as the A4....Which would be fine. Right? Wait.. something is a miss then!

HOWEVER, (Even though this is a TL thread), does anyone find it REALLY weird, and I mean REALLY weird that, they do not want to upstage the RL by any means, but are willing to leave close to a 100 hp gap between cars? Which could show that a 240 - 260hp ShAWD TSX would be good!

Also wouldn't it be cool if an RL Type S came out with close to 360hp to keep up with the M45, A6 and so forth?

I mean if they can do 350 from the MDX's 3.7 like everyone says....why not do it and put it into the RL?

And a 330-350hp TL Type S would easily cover the 335xi BMW, C350 and so forth...

I know i'm all over the place, but does it not seem weird, that with the TL producing those numbers, it totally puts it's other two cars out of place?! Food for thought maybe?
Old 03-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Brown Chaos
Did anyone else notice the Stig-Like Introduction?

I believe the 3.5 V6 will be unchanged, or at most be 290... Honda knows that 285 with the FWD system cannot handle much more...and to give 290 does cut into RL sales, which if the woman mentioned a couple of pages ago at the auto show, is right then we will just see 285.

285, with more weight, would probably keep this in the high fives for 0-60 and whatnot. Not a slug, but i believe it would keep up with a 328 and C300, as well as the A4....Which would be fine. Right? Wait.. something is a miss then!

HOWEVER, (Even though this is a TL thread), does anyone find it REALLY weird, and I mean REALLY weird that, they do not want to upstage the RL by any means, but are willing to leave close to a 100 hp gap between cars? Which could show that a 240 - 260hp ShAWD TSX would be good!

Also wouldn't it be cool if an RL Type S came out with close to 360hp to keep up with the M45, A6 and so forth?

I mean if they can do 350 from the MDX's 3.7 like everyone says....why not do it and put it into the RL?

And a 330-350hp TL Type S would easily cover the 335xi BMW, C350 and so forth...

I know i'm all over the place, but does it not seem weird, that with the TL producing those numbers, it totally puts it's other two cars out of place?! Food for thought maybe?
somewhat. Acura may decide that it's time to put the nail in the coffin of the RL and to have a product that should take the industry head on. BUT there is a chance that the TL will still have a 3.5 Liter 285 HP engine.
With somewhat of slim chance, if acura does put in the 3.7 into the TL, they may need to mis-represent it with an underrated claim, which will dig them into a lesser deep hole.

At this point, we have no clue where acura is going and we can only speculate their options:
TLS motor in 2009 Base
MDX motor in 2009 Base
Retuned motor/new motor
DSG transmission
Manual Transmission
SH-AWD

acura has numerous combinations available to them at the moment, and if they don't pick the right one, they'll end up killing the brand altogether.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:06 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
somewhat. Acura may decide that it's time to put the nail in the coffin of the RL and to have a product that should take the industry head on. BUT there is a chance that the TL will still have a 3.5 Liter 285 HP engine.
With somewhat of slim chance, if acura does put in the 3.7 into the TL, they may need to mis-represent it with an underrated claim, which will dig them into a lesser deep hole.

At this point, we have no clue where acura is going and we can only speculate their options:
TLS motor in 2009 Base
MDX motor in 2009 Base
Retuned motor/new motor
DSG transmission
Manual Transmission
SH-AWD

acura has numerous combinations available to them at the moment, and if they don't pick the right one, they'll end up killing the brand altogether.

They might be killing the brand already by debuting the new TSX with 3 LESS HP than the out going one. I don't think I've ever seen a new car come out that was less powerful than the car it replaced. I know 3 HP ain't shit, and it does have more torque, but WTF! Acura would be foolish to bring out the TL with less than 300 HP, because the competition has shown it's hand already. This is Acura's chance to be the class leader for a few years until the competition has their MMC and pulls back ahead.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

I don't think I've ever seen a new car come out that was less powerful than the car it replaced.
This has happened several times before. And I'm not talking about cars released during the "energy crisis" of the '70s.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:12 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

^ Reminds me of how they took away hp at the 3G's arrival when they went with the new standard of testing.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:57 AM
Drifting

They might be killing the brand already by debuting the new TSX with 3 LESS HP than the out going one. I don't think I've ever seen a new car come out that was less powerful than the car it replaced. I know 3 HP ain't shit, and it does have more torque, but WTF! Acura would be foolish to bring out the TL with less than 300 HP, because the competition has shown it's hand already. This is Acura's chance to be the class leader for a few years until the competition has their MMC and pulls back ahead.
You're spot on right here. As Acura is getting killed by Infiniti, Lexus, BMW, Cadillac, etc, they have the opportunity to turn the tables. But will they do it? I have my doubts but I'm willing to wait and see. If not, it's G35/CTS time.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:49 AM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hoping for the best.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:22 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
For them to hold out this long pisses me off. It better be something great.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:48 PM
Instructor

In my search for a new ride I've tested G35, G35x, IS350, IS250awd, 335i, A4 3.2 Quattro and the TL-S.

Handling:
335i > IS350 > G35/x > TL-S > A4

Power Delivery:
335i > TL-S > G35/x > IS350 > A4

Interior:
TL-S > A4 > G35/x > IS350 > 335i

As a complete package, TL can hang with the best. Because nobody IMO has a home run. You gain some and lose some with every offering out there.

Of course, having more power and pushing with rear wheels will gain some street creds. But how many really get to use all 300hp every day?
Old 03-31-2008, 01:16 PM
Instructor

I'm not sure if the RL will be killed off by Acura. It does better overseas than in the US, although I don't have the numbers. Maybe some of the RL guys can chime in.

When I was in the market for a car to replace my Accord, I needed one to fit my requirements:
6-speed, 4-door (with usable rear seats), quick, reliable, nice looking inside and out, and at a good price. As those that drive manuals know, there are not many cars that fit the bill at the TL's price. The TL stood out from the crowd and it showed by the many TLs on the road.

With the crowd getting even larger and tougher, is Acura going to be able to stand out once again? I'm concerned that the manual drivers will be forgotten, as those that purchase them will be forced to go to other brands.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:50 PM
E55>>>TLS

Originally Posted by Brown Chaos

the current TLS w/ the 286 hp can easily cover the C350; w/ the 330-350hp it can do way more
Old 03-31-2008, 01:56 PM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I took an A5 on a 90 degree turn on Friday, so handling is covered......
Old 03-31-2008, 02:51 PM
Racer

I hope the new TL has a 6 speed transmission, 7 speed would be even better but i'd settle for a 6 speed. 5 speed just ain't cuttin' it anymore. When you're chasing the competition and trying play with the big boys, you've got to bring it! All this conservative crap from Acura is killing me, because they are capable of so much more and arguably better than everyone out there. I say this as a true/loyal Acura owner and I want to see the brand get the respect and recognition that it deserves. But coming out with a 4 cylinder 201 Hp TSX is the wrong answer. I just HOPE they don't come out with some lame ass engine for the TL. And when I say lame, I mean something that's going to put them at or near the head of the class. I'm not trying to say that a 285-290 hp engine is really lame, but in these times and the way the competition is going, 285-290 hp is unacceptable. Yes, we probably won't even use all 300+ of the Hp on a daily basis, if at all. But when your the chasing the competition you can't afford to come to the table half assed. Personally, I want the car to look good, have a beautiful interior and have a lot useful features/technologies. The only reason I wouldn't mind the TL having 330-350 hp is for bragging rights, cause i'm tired of infiniti owners/fans talking shit!
Old 03-31-2008, 03:54 PM
Racer

Hi All, I'm posting here again after a long absence because I've had absolutely no problems with my '04 TL, which is now nearing it's fourth birthday and thus, the end of my extended warranty.

I would definitely put a '09 TL at the top of my shopping list, though I probably won't buy until 2010.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:58 PM
Instructor

I hope the new TL has a 6 speed transmission, 7 speed would be even better but i'd settle for a 6 speed. 5 speed just ain't cuttin' it anymore. When you're chasing the competition and trying play with the big boys, you've got to bring it! All this conservative crap from Acura is killing me, because they are capable of so much more and arguably better than everyone out there. I say this as a true/loyal Acura owner and I want to see the brand get the respect and recognition that it deserves. But coming out with a 4 cylinder 201 Hp TSX is the wrong answer. I just HOPE they don't come out with some lame ass engine for the TL. And when I say lame, I mean something that's going to put them at or near the head of the class. I'm not trying to say that a 285-290 hp engine is really lame, but in these times and the way the competition is going, 285-290 hp is unacceptable. Yes, we probably won't even use all 300+ of the Hp on a daily basis, if at all. But when your the chasing the competition you can't afford to come to the table half assed. Personally, I want the car to look good, have a beautiful interior and have a lot useful features/technologies. The only reason I wouldn't mind the TL having 330-350 hp is for bragging rights, cause i'm tired of infiniti owners/fans talking shit!
6 is enough. More than 6 really doesn't get you much in return other than the penis size factor. If Honda do release DSG with SHAWD, look out!
Old 03-31-2008, 04:01 PM
Bears Rule!(Well, kinda')

If Acura doesn't one up the competition with the next TL, there's no way I even consider them for my next purchase.

After learning what I did in the not-too-distant past about their troubles with the TL engine power with the SH-AWD that will be offered (which is not a rumor folks -- it's fact), the new TSX and RL final design and engine decisions do NOT instill good feelings inside. Consider this:

1) They claim to be "upscaling" the label, with new a design division and NO shared parts between them and Honda. This new design division's first step is to introduce arguably the most hideous looking grill in Acura's short history.

2) The first step engine-wise after "upscaling" include deciding a 201 HP engine in their 3-series sized competing vehicle is acceptable, when the outgoing model had more. WTF?

I know for a fact they were using the current gen TL-S engine for the SH-AWD vehicle at least 8 months back and were having trouble with the HP and corresponding lap times due to the increased size / weight. Whether or not they use the MDX or RDX engine instead I don't know.

Maybe for the first time we'll get engine CHOICES as Acura customers outside the Type-S designation?

They better nut it up or many of us will be gone from these boards.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:49 PM
5th Gear

Hi all,

I don't currently own any Acura but am considering the 09 TL the top choice for my next car. I am in the same boat as some of you guys who are holding off the next purchase until we see what Acura brings to the table for 4G TL. I think Infiniti will beef up 09 G35 somehow (either add VVEL and/or 7 sp auto found in euro models) in order to steal the thunder of 09 TL launch. If 09 TL debuts with 285HP, 5 sp, no sh-awd, with bigger heavier chassis, Acura will be in deep sh*t to become tier 1 in the next 5 year or the next FMC. No, the super duper NSX and the next RL wont save Acura as they are out of price range for most of us.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:18 PM
8th Gear

Some interesting news - I hope these sources are right. The more actual news we see outside of the blogs that claim this the more chance of getting what we want. If all the media publishes an expected 300+ Acura will look pretty dang bad comming out with anything less. Maybe they are taking this extra time to figure out how to write off the RL as a loss and make the TL mean something!

Link to article
http://jalopnik.com/365647/2009-acur...w-tl-tl-type+s
Old 03-31-2008, 07:23 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

someone goes to the future and get some pics please.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:40 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jnickellrental
Some interesting news - I hope these sources are right. The more actual news we see outside of the blogs that claim this the more chance of getting what we want. If all the media publishes an expected 300+ Acura will look pretty dang bad comming out with anything less. Maybe they are taking this extra time to figure out how to write off the RL as a loss and make the TL mean something!

Link to article
http://jalopnik.com/365647/2009-acur...w-tl-tl-type+s

But everyone keeps talking about all this power going to the Type-s version, and if history repeats itself, we won't see the Type-s until model year 2012/2013. Who wants to wait that long?, we want to replace our cars NOW, or in the next year or so. Unless Acura is changing it's ways, I don't see us getting the Type-s version at launch, or 6 months later as speculated. The Type-s is what many of us want, and some of us will probably hold off getting the base model because we know the "S" is coming. But that would be torture, cause I know I'd go crazy everytime I went to the dealer, or everytime I saw a base 4 Gen TL on the road, knowing that I should be driving one too.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:42 AM
5th Gear

But everyone keeps talking about all this power going to the Type-s version, and if history repeats itself, we won't see the Type-s until model year 2012/2013. Who wants to wait that long?, we want to replace our cars NOW, or in the next year or so. Unless Acura is changing it's ways, I don't see us getting the Type-s version at launch, or 6 months later as speculated. The Type-s is what many of us want, and some of us will probably hold off getting the base model because we know the "S" is coming. But that would be torture, cause I know I'd go crazy everytime I went to the dealer, or everytime I saw a base 4 Gen TL on the road, knowing that I should be driving one too.
I am with you on that. Type-S wont come out until a couple years down the road. Acura wants people to buy the base and then trade up in a couple years.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Pro

went to the dealer this morning and talked to him about the new lineup..he said everyone that comes in loves the new line..he said he's already sold out of 09 RLs (pre-buy), the 09 TSXs are a huge hit and he cant wait until they release the TL (like the rest of us) but i find it interesting that people going into the dealer have almost the opposite view of the people on this forum on the new line..

But that would be torture, cause I know I'd go crazy everytime I went to the dealer, or everytime I saw a base 4 Gen TL on the road, knowing that I should be driving one too.
definitely agree..even if the 4G doesnt look as good as the 3G, i know there will be features of the 4G that i wish i had..
Old 04-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Bears Rule!(Well, kinda')

Of course he said that. Very few will have the honesty to say the RL is a dog. You'll usually get a "It's consistent" -vs- "It consistently only sells 2 per month". It's sales chatter. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I'm sure the TSX will sell ok to drones, but it's not going to be close to competing with the 3 series in sales numbers, performance, or styling, which is now how the TSX is positioned since the TL is going up in size.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
You know, I was thinking about this while reading and it hit me,

THE NEXT TL WILL BE MUCH SLOWER!
SH-AWD rob's almost 30% of the power, just like it does on the RL. If were to get that 300 HP motor from the MDX, our 0-60 times would be around 7 seconds, and right now its a 5.6 seconds. Plus say hellow to getting 15 MPG just like the new MDX does.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:27 AM
MP90 uninstalled

Originally Posted by csmeance
You know, I was thinking about this while reading and it hit me,

THE NEXT TL WILL BE MUCH SLOWER!
SH-AWD rob's almost 30% of the power, just like it does on the RL. If were to get that 300 HP motor from the MDX, our 0-60 times would be around 7 seconds, and right now its a 5.6 seconds. Plus say hellow to getting 15 MPG just like the new MDX does.
I wonder what the % power loss is on the Audi's or on a 911 turbo, Subaru's? %30 seems high and I wouldnt consider the MDX a fair comparo.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mindworm
Of course he said that. Very few will have the honesty to say the RL is a dog. You'll usually get a "It's consistent" -vs- "It consistently only sells 2 per month". It's sales chatter. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I'm sure the TSX will sell ok to drones, but it's not going to be close to competing with the 3 series in sales numbers, performance, or styling, which is now how the TSX is positioned since the TL is going up in size.
Which is further evidence that Acura big wigs are on some new potent shit, cause I don't know how on Earth they think the TSX can compete with the 3 series, or 1 series for that matter, with a 201 hp 4 cylinder engine. As far as the RL, it has to be one of the biggest disappointments in recent auto history. The RL is a VERY fine car, and it's a shame that it hasn't sold better. Forget V-8 engines and RWD, the RL still should've sold better despite not having those two options. I know many folks on this forum have bashed the new TSX's styling, but I like it. And I'm not surprised by the fact that it's selling a ton of pre-orders. I thought it was okay when I first saw it, but it has really grown on me. I still think that Acura made a HUGE mistake with the engine and no SH-AWD, but clearly the buying public doesn't feel the same, which is good for Acura anyway.

Quick Reply: 2009 Acura TL/CL Type-S-Merged Threads-All 2009 topics will be merged here