2009 Acura TL/CL Type-S-Merged Threads-All 2009 topics will be merged here

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by redman042
That's kinda what I figured. I don't know what the history is on this sort of thing, but I agree, one release at a time.

I'm not sure why I care so much about seeing the new TL, because I own an '06 and I'm not the sort of person that buys a new car every 3 years. So I'm not gettin one anyway. The only way I'll get to drive the 09 TL is if I get a loaner, which is a real double edge sword, since you just get to see what you're missing.

But my curiosity keeps me coming back. Maybe it's morbid curiosity, because I'm expecting that they will mess up the styling with that horrid grille, which will just make me happier I have an '06.
The grill has actually grown on me. It looks good on the TSX because you can tell the car was designed from the begining with the grill in mind. I think the grill was an afterthought with the '09 RL, just slapped on there to get this "Corporate grill" crap started. Hopefully the TL will also be built from the ground up with the new grill incorporated into the design, like the Sports 4 concept, which is where the grill came from anyway.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:58 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
when is the 09 coming out? i actually kind of like the new TSX.... is the new TL looks as good or better, has more hp, and SH-AWD they may have a winner. the big question in my book is how much MORE POWER will it have?

when you consider the TL is in the same league as a BMW 335, which is *underrated* at 300hp..with almost as much torque... just giving the new TL a 300hp V6, with the associated torqueless VTEC powerplant...it will always be second to the BMW.

a 330-350hp V6 is what they need. i somehow doubt it will happen.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 23109VC
when is the 09 coming out? i actually kind of like the new TSX.... is the new TL looks as good or better, has more hp, and SH-AWD they may have a winner. the big question in my book is how much MORE POWER will it have?

when you consider the TL is in the same league as a BMW 335, which is *underrated* at 300hp..with almost as much torque... just giving the new TL a 300hp V6, with the associated torqueless VTEC powerplant...it will always be second to the BMW.

a 330-350hp V6 is what they need. i somehow doubt it will happen.

You're right, the TL needs 330-350 hp to compete, but guess what? it's not going to happen. I say this because Acura just did a MMC on the "Flagship" RL with only 300 hp. I can't see Acura making the TL that much more powerful than the RL, if at all, because the TL will kill RL sales (as it does now anyway). Who would buy a 300 hp RL when you can have a 330-350 hp TL at 10K cheaper price? I want the TL to have 330-350 hp too, but the reality is that this is a pipe dream.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there any release dates as to when we can expect to see the new 09' TL's on our dealer floors??
Old 03-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by squabbin
Are there any release dates as to when we can expect to see the new 09' TL's on our dealer floors??
Probably late September/early October like always.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:53 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
where the hell is it at?????????

show us the 4G TL!!!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 05:21 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by darksom1
So what do we do now?

More I guess.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Pro

ahhh i hope there will be a new cl/tl w.o the grill of the of the 2nd gen tsx which looks horrible!
Old 03-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C'mon people, how much friggin horsepower do we really need anyway?

You guys from the racing threads don't bother answering me, because I already know you'll gladly take 350 hp plus then stick a blower on it and racing slicks, and then go out and do 175 on public highways.

Yeah I know the competitors have more, but the TL already has a lot and Acura has always been about balancing power with fuel economy, unlike the competitors. All of us bought into that to some degree, evidenced by the fact that we chose a front wheel drive luxury car, which many people won't. And it's already pretty darn fast - heck it's a rare day when I get the opportunity to REALLY put my foot in it, and not for very long lest I rocket right out of traffic citation territory and into instant arrest territory.

I'm sure Acura will keep increasing the numbers slowly, but they are going to need a next-gen SHAWD with a rear bias to put 350 hp to the pavement, and then I wonder how they will manage to maintain their slant towards greater fuel economy and ULEV rating.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
If it doesn't end up being debuted in NY, I think it will be unveiled in one of the next two autoshows, hopefully with teaser pics coming about a week earlier. Thats what they did with the TSX, that's what they did with the RL, thats what they will do with the TL. I don't think there will be a concept TL. if it is indeed slated for September/October release date, it will be really tough for Acura to get a concept turned into a production model by then. Besides, there have already been spy pics of the TL, which has to be the production model.

This is what I think the TL will come with:
290-something hp (can't be more than the RL)
SH-AWD as an option
bigger inside and outside
between 3900-4100 lbs.
the load of Acura tech stuff
Old 03-19-2008, 05:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fyre Man
290-something hp (can't be more than the RL)
SH-AWD as an option
bigger inside and outside
between 3900-4100 lbs.
the load of Acura tech stuff
...and a new grille the size of a mac truck!

(sorry, couldn't help myself)
Old 03-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

You guys from the racing threads don't bother answering me, because I already know you'll gladly take 350 hp plus then stick a blower on it and racing slicks, and then go out and do 175 on public highways.

Yeah I know the competitors have more, but the TL already has a lot and Acura has always been about balancing power with fuel economy, unlike the competitors. All of us bought into that to some degree, evidenced by the fact that we chose a front wheel drive luxury car, which many people won't. And it's already pretty darn fast - heck it's a rare day when I get the opportunity to REALLY put my foot in it, and not for very long lest I rocket right out of traffic citation territory and into instant arrest territory.

I'm sure Acura will keep increasing the numbers slowly, but they are going to need a next-gen SHAWD with a rear bias to put 350 hp to the pavement, and then I wonder how they will manage to maintain their slant towards greater fuel economy and ULEV rating.
Hey, if you wanted, you could move a Suburban with the engine from the Chevy Aveo. It's not about what customers need, it's about what they want. Would you buy a TL with the exact same engine when EVERYONE else has about 50 hp more for 2-3k more? I agree that the TL already has plenty of horsepower, especially for its price, but it's also getting heavier. Fuel economy is defintely going down by a chunk, but hopefully still good compared with its competitors.

I'm guessing the TL will have a cylinde deactivation system to maintain decent fuel economy, if not up to ULEV standards. also note that fuel economy and emissions are two different things.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
sigh....whenever I see this thread with the yellow highlight...I get excited, thinking I'll see pics, only to be disappointed....damnit!!!

Old 03-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts

its not all about racing...its about having power on tap...i be damned if a cadillac is gonna embarass me on the road...im sure acura will keep its FWD V6s and I4s for the ppl who want fuel economoy but that leaves u with one half of the market who could giv a u know what less about their gas mileage...they need to offer a power package as well as an Eco package so that they can broaden their sales scope...if they get the point they'll make a TL Type S with RWD biased SHawd & 340+ HP and offer a fuel economy bases version as well
Old 03-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

^ that would be nice, but I doubt it's going to happen.

the only time Acura offers two engines on the same car are on Base and Type-S versions (read:TL after three years of new generation). If that's true, MAYBE 295ish hp w/FWD and around 340 hp SH-AWD Type-S version.

Problem is, everyone is moving up and beyond the 300 hp mark, meaning Acura has to be around there to stay in the game, even more to last 5 years. now, it's not smart to mate that to a FWD platform because then you get a shitload of torque-steer and no traction. Then SH-AWD comes into play, and out goes fuel economy. Maybe they could recalibrate SH-AWD to have different modes, like the Legacy Spec. B and Impreza STi's SI-Drive, for economy, sport, and race, or intelligent. But they don't have that on the RL so I doubt it will go on the TL.

My point: the TL has a very specific space to fill in the Acura lineup, but it will be hard to fill it, with the TSX cramming into TL territory and the RL giving no space for the TL to move upmarket. Guaranteed if the RL doesn't shoot upmarket to the 60-70k range by about 2014, either the TL or RL will be killed.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by L's TL
its not all about racing...its about having power on tap...i be damned if a cadillac is gonna embarass me on the road...im sure acura will keep its FWD V6s and I4s for the ppl who want fuel economoy but that leaves u with one half of the market who could giv a u know what less about their gas mileage...they need to offer a power package as well as an Eco package so that they can broaden their sales scope...if they get the point they'll make a TL Type S with RWD biased SHawd & 340+ HP and offer a fuel economy bases version as well
Ok, you are obviously the racer in the crowd. If you're worried about a Cadillac embarrassing you, then you must be racing Cadillacs, right? I'd venture most TL owners don't street race, ever. The typical demographic for this car is the 30+ crowd, right? I mean, it is a $35k car. I fall in that category. I do want plenty of power on tap. I want to press the throttle no more than half way and get effortless acceleration onto the freeway. If I really want to pass quickly, or just want to feel a brief rush of power, I can plant that baby to the floorboards. My current 06 TL answers that call quite nicely. I'm not trying to go into orbit. And I don't race. Not since I was 20. I'm not taking the risk of having to call my wife to get a bail bond for me at 2 in the morning, mmkayy?

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm just saying that I believe the vast majority of potential TL owners don't expect Acura to win or even match BMW on horsepower. They are looking for an overall well balanced car, and this is it. If they add weight, then sure they need to add power, but 350 is excessive and they won't do that.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

BMW's don't really have that much power, they're about the same with the CTS,G35, IS350, the TL's main competitors.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Instructor

which Autoshow (if one) will the new TL be released at? Since the new TSX was announced today, I think I'm going to hold off for something more upscale like the TL. Hopefully it'll have a pushstart/intelligent key system.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I am with redman on this one. 250 - 300 HP is more than enough for this car. Give me another 3-5 mpg keeping it in that HP range and I am happy. From here on this is my YMMV

That being said, Acura has to balance their lineup to compete with the "perceived" alternatives including the 3 series, Lexus IS, etc. But there always has been, and always will be trade-offs. Many of us passed on the BMW to get the TL meaning we didn't want pure performance. Pure performance in my book means RWD or AWD is required. Maybe we had to balance cost and performance, or maybe it was rear seat space, or reliability. The 4G will be no different, we will all need to weigh the options, if the HP/torque numbers are all you care about I am guessing you will be looking elsewhere.

Most of us could go buy a twin-turbo 335 with RWD but what are we willing to give up? Repair costs on a twin-turbo car...ask an Audi owner what that costs, I passed on an allroad for that reason. Being in Wisconsin I can't have RWD with my life and I can't afford the loaded BMW. But if I can be within 1 second 0-60 of that BMW, pay $7k less for the car, pay $7k less in repairs over the life of the car, and get 3-5 mpg better over the 100k miles I own the car..sign me up.

Now of course, anyone buying the 4G TL assumes that the car is comfortable and easy on the eyes. To me the 3G TL interior and exterior is art...look how many cars have copied both. My only worry at this point is the grill of the 4G. I know the interior will be beautiful and performance will be great....probably not class leading.

In my opinion Honda has always been the car company of compromise and/or middle of the road. The Pilot, not offroad like the 4runner, not onroad like the Highlander but a compromise. The Accords of thepast...never as performance oriented as the Maxima but never as soft as the Camry. Acura will hit the middle of the pack again with this TL right where it needs to be with BMW, Lexus, Infinity, etc. It won't be power alone but comfort, price, reliability, technology, luxuries, mpg, power, maybe even AWD, different engine options, etc.

I am not ready to give up the ship yet....just keep that RL front end off my next ride!!

Sorry for the long winded vent...just too damn anxious to see the 4G!!! As always this is America....to those who want 300+ HP I say go for it, its your money and your right and I would never dream of stopping anyone from living life to the fullest! If there are enough of you the free market will provide you with plenty of options. Since I still belong to the more time than money club, give me the mpg with 260HP.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I want to give my opinion on horsepower. Ok Acura "Advance", suppose to be a luxury line right? Well all of the competitors are leaving it in the dust. You see Infiniti commercials, they don’t mention the TL. But check out the Nissan Altima and they mention TL. Not even the Maxima the freakin Altima. Anyway, when the third gen TL came out it had 10 more horse power than the 2nd gen Type-S. That and it was basically the fastest thing in its class.. Very soon after the G35 came out with a little more horse power, and told the world in their ads. It worked also, because their sales boosted. Now the G35 is 306hp for the sedan and 330 for the coupe. Even though the car is small is drives really well and the TL is slow in comparison. Now I’m not going out and buying one because I have been a loyal Acura customer since my 94' GSR. But I have to admit it would be crazy for them to come out with a TL that doesn’t even keep up with the competition. Outside US on this board who would it win over? And if it looks anything like that RL, I will jump ship. The old RL looked better even though it was like the Accord on steroids. Acura do care about sales, well Honda does anyway. I don’t think they would let that division kill the best selling car Acura has. The TL will have more horsepower than the RL and will be closely matched with the competition. However somebody mentions that it should have 350hp and somebody else said that was too much. Well if Acura want to keep the work ADVANCE and not have to use SAME OL' B.S. 350 would be their best bet. To the gentleman that was talking about racing and being over 30, here is my take. I am 30, I don’t race my 05 TL nor did I race my 04TL but I would like to get the Camry off my bumper. Acura has never been a "Granny Car". I understand if you don’t like driving fast, you could be a left lane driver that drives the speed limit and will not get over for the faster drivers lined up behind them for all i know. But either way we would really like for them to live up to that Acura Advance, because we like to pride ourselves in what we drive. Not shy away from the $20k Altima. O and the 2010 RL (V8) picture that is floating around look a lot like a car that I saw on Buick ad that is on Yahoo homepage right now. (4-19-08 9:02) I went to Buicks website but they only have 3 cars but if you go to yahoo.com come on the right you will see a ad Tiger will hit some ball and paint will flash on your screen then this car appears to the right that looks like what we hope will be a redesigned RL then it disappears and those 3 ugly Buicks pop up. Check it out before they take the ad down. And if somebody can tell me what that car is I would appreciate it.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Ok, you are obviously the racer in the crowd. If you're worried about a Cadillac embarrassing you, then you must be racing Cadillacs, right? I'd venture most TL owners don't street race, ever. The typical demographic for this car is the 30+ crowd, right? I mean, it is a $35k car. I fall in that category. I do want plenty of power on tap. I want to press the throttle no more than half way and get effortless acceleration onto the freeway. If I really want to pass quickly, or just want to feel a brief rush of power, I can plant that baby to the floorboards. My current 06 TL answers that call quite nicely. I'm not trying to go into orbit. And I don't race. Not since I was 20. I'm not taking the risk of having to call my wife to get a bail bond for me at 2 in the morning, mmkayy?

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm just saying that I believe the vast majority of potential TL owners don't expect Acura to win or even match BMW on horsepower. They are looking for an overall well balanced car, and this is it. If they add weight, then sure they need to add power, but 350 is excessive and they won't do that.
what does age and price of a car have to do with low horsepower? Plenty of BMWs, Lexus', and Mercedes have plenty of horespower and cost over 35K and they sell better than Acuras. Im glad the TL has enough power for you but if everyone in this thread is asking for more power seems like its long overdue. And for the record i do race, AT A TRACK, and ive races A Cadillac as well. i.e CTS-V. I think 340-350 is a reasonable #for the heavy platform that SHAWD provides. Thats just my opinion tho. I cant wait to see what Acura has in store
Old 03-19-2008, 08:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wi_badger
I am with redman on this one. 250 - 300 HP is more than enough for this car. Give me another 3-5 mpg keeping it in that HP range and I am happy. From here on this is my YMMV

That being said, Acura has to balance their lineup to compete with the "perceived" alternatives including the 3 series, Lexus IS, etc. But there always has been, and always will be trade-offs. Many of us passed on the BMW to get the TL meaning we didn't want pure performance. Pure performance in my book means RWD or AWD is required. Maybe we had to balance cost and performance, or maybe it was rear seat space, or reliability. The 4G will be no different, we will all need to weigh the options, if the HP/torque numbers are all you care about I am guessing you will be looking elsewhere.

Most of us could go buy a twin-turbo 335 with RWD but what are we willing to give up? Repair costs on a twin-turbo car...ask an Audi owner what that costs, I passed on an allroad for that reason. Being in Wisconsin I can't have RWD with my life and I can't afford the loaded BMW. But if I can be within 1 second 0-60 of that BMW, pay $7k less for the car, pay $7k less in repairs over the life of the car, and get 3-5 mpg better over the 100k miles I own the car..sign me up.

Now of course, anyone buying the 4G TL assumes that the car is comfortable and easy on the eyes. To me the 3G TL interior and exterior is art...look how many cars have copied both. My only worry at this point is the grill of the 4G. I know the interior will be beautiful and performance will be great....probably not class leading.

In my opinion Honda has always been the car company of compromise and/or middle of the road. The Pilot, not offroad like the 4runner, not onroad like the Highlander but a compromise. The Accords of thepast...never as performance oriented as the Maxima but never as soft as the Camry. Acura will hit the middle of the pack again with this TL right where it needs to be with BMW, Lexus, Infinity, etc. It won't be power alone but comfort, price, reliability, technology, luxuries, mpg, power, maybe even AWD, different engine options, etc.

I am not ready to give up the ship yet....just keep that RL front end off my next ride!!

Sorry for the long winded vent...just too damn anxious to see the 4G!!! As always this is America....to those who want 300+ HP I say go for it, its your money and your right and I would never dream of stopping anyone from living life to the fullest! If there are enough of you the free market will provide you with plenty of options. Since I still belong to the more time than money club, give me the mpg with 260HP.
LOL i agree with what your saying. Im just saying for those of us loyal Acura owners who want a lil more power offer the Type S with the extra HP which usually happen 2-3 years into the generation as well as the low powered fuel efficient version.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:25 PM
śïιέит вµт đέαđιý

I got some new info about the TSX - its prolly gonna be out in 2 weeks end of april
Old 03-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep...that's what the Type-S is for. I think Acura realizes that with the success of the 07/08 Type-S so hopefully they offer it with SH-AWD for 09, and if not, soon after! Would be nice if they cut out some of the rattles for 09 too.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:07 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Originally Posted by darksom1
The grille sucks!

haha - wait until you see it on the TL
Old 03-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Racer

the tsx will be at the dealers in april it says it on the website, when is the next car show
Old 03-19-2008, 11:08 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
BTW...does anyone have a link to the thread: "I wonder what the hell the 3G is gonna look like"??

That way I have an idea of how many pages to let go by before I reasonably can expect to see some 4G pics...
Old 03-20-2008, 06:38 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
jeez sorry Ray. Ill have one of the AcuraZine staff contact you as soon as we here anything
Old 03-20-2008, 06:52 AM
Let's Go Pens

yo ray, I'll get some 4th gen pics this week at the autoshow
Old 03-20-2008, 07:12 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
For some reason i dont think the car will be there. We would have heard something by now. All they have is the less powerful TSX. tisk tisk
Old 03-20-2008, 08:14 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Evader
yo ray, I'll get some 4th gen pics this week at the autoshow
Ethan: No, not some girl friday - you! Handle it! Hahahaha!

Evader: No, you may take some nice TSX pics (though not from the front ), but there shall be no TL in the crowd. That's just too much like right.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Originally Posted by bw5011
I want to give my opinion on horsepower. Ok Acura "Advance", suppose to be a luxury line right? Well all of the competitors are leaving it in the dust. You see Infiniti commercials, they don’t mention the TL. But check out the Nissan Altima and they mention TL. Not even the Maxima the freakin Altima. Anyway, when the third gen TL came out it had 10 more horse power than the 2nd gen Type-S. That and it was basically the fastest thing in its class.. Very soon after the G35 came out with a little more horse power, and told the world in their ads. It worked also, because their sales boosted. Now the G35 is 306hp for the sedan and 330 for the coupe. Even though the car is small is drives really well and the TL is slow in comparison. Now I’m not going out and buying one because I have been a loyal Acura customer since my 94' GSR. But I have to admit it would be crazy for them to come out with a TL that doesn’t even keep up with the competition. Outside US on this board who would it win over? And if it looks anything like that RL, I will jump ship. The old RL looked better even though it was like the Accord on steroids. Acura do care about sales, well Honda does anyway. I don’t think they would let that division kill the best selling car Acura has. The TL will have more horsepower than the RL and will be closely matched with the competition. However somebody mentions that it should have 350hp and somebody else said that was too much. Well if Acura want to keep the work ADVANCE and not have to use SAME OL' B.S. 350 would be their best bet. To the gentleman that was talking about racing and being over 30, here is my take. I am 30, I don’t race my 05 TL nor did I race my 04TL but I would like to get the Camry off my bumper. Acura has never been a "Granny Car". I understand if you don’t like driving fast, you could be a left lane driver that drives the speed limit and will not get over for the faster drivers lined up behind them for all i know. But either way we would really like for them to live up to that Acura Advance, because we like to pride ourselves in what we drive. Not shy away from the $20k Altima. O and the 2010 RL (V8) picture that is floating around look a lot like a car that I saw on Buick ad that is on Yahoo homepage right now. (4-19-08 9:02) I went to Buicks website but they only have 3 cars but if you go to yahoo.com come on the right you will see a ad Tiger will hit some ball and paint will flash on your screen then this car appears to the right that looks like what we hope will be a redesigned RL then it disappears and those 3 ugly Buicks pop up. Check it out before they take the ad down. And if somebody can tell me what that car is I would appreciate it.

The only reason that the Altima mentions the TL in its ads is because they want to compare it to an upscale car, to make customers think it is an upscale car when all it really is is a somewhat sporty family car.

If the new TL has 10 more hp than the 3g Type-S, it will still be 10 hp down on the G35, @ 296, let alone 10 hp up on it. the TL is slow by comparison only because it wasn't built to be out-and-out the fastest car in its class. The TL's designers and engineers paid attention to all the details, making the TL a fine car in all categories. I rode in the G35, and when we got onto the freeway, the engine was revved to about 4700 rpm. It sounded like a blender at full blast. The Infiniti was built to be good on paper. 306 hp sounds like a lot, and it sure definetely gets people into the dealership. but once you try to push it, the G35 isn't in the mood.

The current TL falls behind the competition just a tad, only because of it's FWD layout and 258hp engine that has been there for 5 years now. It's the TL's pattern to come out and do a good job of beating the competition, and then staying pat and letting the competition pass by for 5 years, and then beat them again with a new generation. Acuras have never really murdered the competition, though.

the TL will not have more power than the RL. Ever. it's the same reason an S6 will never have more or an equal amount of power than an S8. Same reason an M3 will never have more power than an M5. It's all about the model's location in the company's lineup. if the S6 had more power than the S8, would anyone buy the S8? No. If the M3 had the same power as the M5, would anyone buy the M5? No. Why? Because they have no reason to spend 15k more for a heavier car with the exact same engine and power. that is the same reason that the TL will always be below the RL. If anything, Acura will give the TL just a tiny bit less horsepower than the RL. By 2010, the RL should be bigger, get a V8, and move higher up the class. Now that can leave room for the Type-S to come in and murder everyone, while still keeping the base TL fo those who just want a nicer Accord.

I don't think anyone here would have a problem with 350 hp. It's defintely good for some wishful thinking. It just won't happen. not for the next 5 years, anyways.

BTW I think you're talking about the Buick Lucerne, which IMO doesnt look like the RL concept at all.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

NY Auto Show!
Old 03-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Let's Go Pens

I have confirmed with multiple dealers that the 4th Gen TL will be at the NY Auto Show. It's supposed to be an extravagant unvieling.. I'm guessing because one of the reasons is that it's such a great selling car
Old 03-20-2008, 11:10 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,236 Likes on 2,616 Posts
well written and logical too (better writing than most of us old folks on Acurazine!)

Originally Posted by Fyre Man
The only reason that the Altima mentions the TL in its ads is because they want to compare it to an upscale car, to make customers think it is an upscale car when all it really is is a somewhat sporty family car.

If the new TL has 10 more hp than the 3g Type-S, it will still be 10 hp down on the G35, @ 296, let alone 10 hp up on it. the TL is slow by comparison only because it wasn't built to be out-and-out the fastest car in its class. The TL's designers and engineers paid attention to all the details, making the TL a fine car in all categories. I rode in the G35, and when we got onto the freeway, the engine was revved to about 4700 rpm. It sounded like a blender at full blast. The Infiniti was built to be good on paper. 306 hp sounds like a lot, and it sure definetely gets people into the dealership. but once you try to push it, the G35 isn't in the mood.

The current TL falls behind the competition just a tad, only because of it's FWD layout and 258hp engine that has been there for 5 years now. It's the TL's pattern to come out and do a good job of beating the competition, and then staying pat and letting the competition pass by for 5 years, and then beat them again with a new generation. Acuras have never really murdered the competition, though.

the TL will not have more power than the RL. Ever. it's the same reason an S6 will never have more or an equal amount of power than an S8. Same reason an M3 will never have more power than an M5. It's all about the model's location in the company's lineup. if the S6 had more power than the S8, would anyone buy the S8? No. If the M3 had the same power as the M5, would anyone buy the M5? No. Why? Because they have no reason to spend 15k more for a heavier car with the exact same engine and power. that is the same reason that the TL will always be below the RL. If anything, Acura will give the TL just a tiny bit less horsepower than the RL. By 2010, the RL should be bigger, get a V8, and move higher up the class. Now that can leave room for the Type-S to come in and murder everyone, while still keeping the base TL fo those who just want a nicer Accord.

I don't think anyone here would have a problem with 350 hp. It's defintely good for some wishful thinking. It just won't happen. not for the next 5 years, anyways.

BTW I think you're talking about the Buick Lucerne, which IMO doesnt look like the RL concept at all.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Its not gonna be there....when is it anyways?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:16 AM
My TL can do this, too!

Originally Posted by bloodylankan
I got some new info about the TSX - its prolly gonna be out in 2 weeks end of april
Where'd you read/hear that?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:20 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Evader
I have confirmed with multiple dealers that the 4th Gen TL will be at the NY Auto Show. It's supposed to be an extravagant unvieling.. I'm guessing because one of the reasons is that it's such a great selling car
No way - when is the actuall unvailing?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:20 AM
8th Gear

No way - when is the actuall unvailing?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Racer

I would like to see the new TL at the autoshow, but I doubt it.

I will point out that when Honde redesigned the Accord last year, it was NOT at the NY auto show.

We probably won't see anything until the summer

Quick Reply: 2009 Acura TL/CL Type-S-Merged Threads-All 2009 topics will be merged here