The Ultimate Cooling Mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:23 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Functional??? i've been over this a lot. while the car's going down the highway i can watch my temp gauge drop a couple ticks. The heat extraction hood works extremely well. on top of that when i check under the hood the difference is very very noticeable. the pressure from under the hood builds up enough that it just dumps out right over the top of the car.

Yes u can see the letters and i might do like a red led setup behind it. Might be too ricey though.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by Xiomaro
Functional??? i've been over this a lot. while the car's going down the highway i can watch my temp gauge drop a couple ticks. The heat extraction hood works extremely well. on top of that when i check under the hood the difference is very very noticeable. the pressure from under the hood builds up enough that it just dumps out right over the top of the car.

Yes u can see the letters and i might do like a red led setup behind it. Might be too ricey though.
Coolant is controlled by the thermostat and the gauge is buffered so that it takes a pretty large swing in either direction to get it to move off of normal. It's highly unlikely you could get it to move by venting air out from under the hood. I'm sure there is a big temperature difference under the hood though. That hood looks like the ideal solution to underhood temps.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:49 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
It shouldnt. You HAVE to have the AC button pressed to get the 2nd fan to run. If that button is pressed the compressor still cycles. If its not both fans arent running. If both are running, its not from turning the vent on but because 1 fan isnt enough.
ahh. thanks for clearing that up
Old 09-09-2009, 07:58 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn son, that is some serious shit
Old 09-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Xiomaro,

Perhaps I am not understanding. When I look at the picture of your hood, I am not seeing any vents. Where is the heat escaping from? It does sound like that you have accomplished the ultimate cooling mod from your description of how cool it is now under your hood. I am just confused where the heat is escaping from your hood. Where is the heat escaping from?
Old 09-10-2009, 07:39 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i feel so terribly left out and forgotten. i already did a vented hood that doesn't look anywhere near as ricey as that white one

[IMG] [/IMG]
Where did you get the vent to go in it? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:24 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

The lettering is the vent. They are completely open. It's not a massive vent, but honestly it doesn't need to be. the main problem we found when we started this hood was that once the air comes up under the hood it just has no where to go. so it just builds up and gets hotter and slowly gets pulled out from under the car. Another thing is that once i get my new front bumper setup finished (much like eric's) it will have much better flow.

when the hood is down the "dip" sits right in front of the first cat delete. If i stick my hand on the windshield while the cars moving you can feel really hot air shooting up over the car.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:28 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
Where did you get the vent to go in it? If you don't mind me asking.
u mean where did i get the lettering? i had a couple prototypes made and then we just used the best one. If u look in the second pic, u can see the light going through the letters to the ground, fully open.

I have some that i turned into some cool plaques if anyone is interested

Last edited by Xiomaro; 09-10-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Safety Car

Xiomaro,

Thanks for the explanation.

Good job on the hood

and good job of accomplishing the ultimate cooling mod via another method.

It is helpful for us to learn that even a small amount of venting can have a big impact on lowering the under hood temps. Thanks for the contribution.

Please post pics when you get the hood on the car.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Xiomaro,

Thanks for the explanation.

Good job on the hood

and good job of accomplishing the ultimate cooling mod via another method.

It is helpful for us to learn that even a small amount of venting can have a big impact on lowering the under hood temps. Thanks for the contribution.

Please post pics when you get the hood on the car.
thats very true...the smallest amount of venting will make a big difference...the hood seals the engine bay so good, its almost air tight, locking all the heat inside there, waiting to erupt...so any cracks, vents, holes and such will help a lot
Old 09-10-2009, 02:50 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

i've got it on the car i'm just waiting to get it back from my damn mechanic... it's taken a month for him to get the clutch out so i could have my machinist make me a my leigthweight setup

And no problem on the mod. Opel is right though. I duno what they were thinking on the engine bay. all the plastic covers just destroy all the hope of having any heat escape. basically it's like a pressure cooker. all that heat pressurizes the air inside and needs a means to escape or it gets too hot and messes up your food. hence the little pressure vent in the top.

The air passing under the car prettymuch keeps pushing air into the engine bay(slowly) but it never really goes anywhere other than swirling around and a little out the cowl and back out the bottom(VERY little) so if u give it an alternate exit it will be forced up and out!

the best cooling mod though is NO HOOD! thats what i had to do while we were working on it. it worked the best lol!
Old 09-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Ryan Christopher

u mean where did i get the lettering? i had a couple prototypes made and then we just used the best one. If u look in the second pic, u can see the light going through the letters to the ground, fully open.

I have some that i turned into some cool plaques if anyone is interested
I understand you have it cut out, I am interested in how you did the dip in the hood? Did you use a insert piece and weld it in and grind it? Or did you just cut the hood and weld sheet metal in place?
Old 09-10-2009, 03:03 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

a magician never gives away his secrets

especially on a one of a kind like this. and since i don't plan on making more... maybe
Old 09-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
^^^^u sound like me.....changing the subject everytime someone asks me how i made 27 whp with my exhaust setup for $250, not spending $1000 on a catback with less gains lol ....some things need to remain a mystery...so we're not all the same! and have the same looking and same sounding cars lol
Old 09-10-2009, 09:47 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

^ amen brotha! thats why i've been working on may different things at once and at a different angle than anyone else. And if i can attain some other info and tricks and tips to help out then hey y not.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Opel
^^^^u sound like me.....changing the subject everytime someone asks me how i made 27 whp with my exhaust setup for $250, not spending $1000 on a catback with less gains lol ....some things need to remain a mystery...so we're not all the same! and have the same looking and same sounding cars lol
only, i know ur secret

lol

wish i had the balls to cut up my hood... looks awesome!
Old 09-11-2009, 12:14 AM
practicing nihilist

you could sell a couple one off hoods and make a little cash, while never compromising your patent.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:16 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

all the custom work would put it pretty high out of ppl's price if i had to guess. but maybe if they are willing to pay for it. could probably do it for less if i didn't have to paint it.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

My contribution to the cooling mod

Just finished up, yes I know I'm kinda late in season . But here is my "swiss cheese" cowl:

3/8" Holes all across the very top so sitting water won't seep through.

The stock vents are all functional now since they can get some hot air through. I cut the small rectangular sections of the cowl that sit just above the firewall insulation. My engine bay usually stays clean from water and debris. On the far left side I can actually see my cabin air filter, if leaves and other junk start sneaking through, I can always cover the hole with wire mesh used for screen doors..

I know this isn't as functional as a vented hood, but something is better than nothing
Old 09-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
^^can't see the pics.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

My contribution to the cooling mod

Just finished up, yes I know I'm kinda late in season . But here is my "swiss cheese" cowl:

3/8" Holes all across the very top so sitting water won't seep through.

The stock vents are all functional now since they can get some hot air through. I cut the small rectangular sections of the cowl that sit just above the firewall insulation. On the far left side I can actually see my cabin air filter. My engine bay usually stays clean from water and debris, but if leaves and other junk start sneaking through, I can always cover the hole on the far left with wire mesh used for screen doors..

After a 15-20 drive I could actually feel the hot air escaping out of the holes and vents. I also touched my CAI and it was way cooler than it used to be. The CAI area closest to the fender is just warm, not hot like it used to be; which leads me to believe that now there is much cooler air entering the manifold while moving. I know this isn't as functional as a vented hood, but something is better than nothing

Mods please delete my previous post

Last edited by HQTL6SPD; 09-25-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:04 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

hey, that seems like it will deff. help. Let me tell u guys, it's scary as hell cutting that hood up. one wrong cut and u are screwed. not to mention, get it too hot and it will warp in an instant.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
picspicspics
Old 09-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Safety Car

Very well done HQTL6SPD

I was thinking about this exact design to offer to the forum. For me, I am keeping the whole cowl removed (UCM). So, thanks again for posting the pics of this Jr. Cooling Mod (JCM). I have been too busy with yard work and other mods (precat deletes, learning to make YouTube videos, etc).

People can choose what drill diameter for making the holes based on their preferences/needs. Larger drilled holes for more cooling for those that desire a more aggressive approach.

If everyone doesn't mind, we can call this mod with the drilled holes as the Junior Cooling Mod (JCM). I wish to reserve the original name of Ultimate Cooling Mod to that mod where the entire cowl is removed. After all, the word "ultimate" is a strong word.

HQTL6SPD, thanks again for coming up with the JCM. I do endorse this mod , especially if larger holes are used.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
I was awaiting the Master's opinion of this. I knew there was a way to do this, but I guess I was waiting for someone else to try it first.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yup there are a few options for the exposed side. Larger holes, more holes, grind arches or 'D' shapes on the very top, even combine them to look like this: /o\_/o\_/o\...

I was thinking of making them slotted, but I was kinda limited by my dremel grinders. Also didn't wanna make it look funky, so just kept it simple.

The cowl is inexpensive online in case some ppl rather experiment before hand.

#14 & 16:
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...s=&view=normal
Old 09-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
how do you guys get the wiper arms off... I tryed to do that mod today but gave up cause i couldnt get them of to remove the cowl to work on it...
Old 09-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Green Machine

Originally Posted by BukvaMan
how do you guys get the wiper arms off... I tryed to do that mod today but gave up cause i couldnt get them of to remove the cowl to work on it...
At the base of the wiper arms, there is a cap that can be pulled off. You can use a small flat head screw driver to pry them off, but be careful not to scratch them. Once you pull the cap off, unbolt the nuts that hold the arms on. Then just pull them right off.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

i did all that but the pulling part didnt work for me ... i pulled pretty hard to but nothing )
Old 09-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Green Machine

Originally Posted by BukvaMan
i did all that but the pulling part didnt work for me ... i pulled pretty hard to but nothing )
Add some wiggling to the pulling should work.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

^I was stuck for a second also, but spray some WD-40 and you literally need to wipe your windshield manually while it's unbolted to shake em loose (also be careful with the hood since they are spring loaded)..
Old 09-28-2009, 08:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

I finally did it... this time around i wasnt rushing i put some wd-40 as mentioned above and it worked like a charm... that thing is amazing.

I removed the cowl and i worked on it tonight, drilled all the holes. which happen to be 14 of them and to be exact there are 14 holes by 7/8" . I also drilled from the back whereever i could and where it wasnt vented already.

I hope this will be as effective as the cowl completely removed, cause looking at it without the cowl there is really a lot of room to breathe now.

im courious also about that long peace of rubber that hugs the cowl inside, did you guys remove it ?

thanks for all the help and all the great ideas.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

yea took the rubber liner off as well
Old 10-10-2009, 08:14 PM
LiQuiDFleX81

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up My Semi-UCM

and here's my original patent on a cooling mod name

The Semi-UCM

i been following this thread and re-creating it in my own design ,

redesigned without losing the function of my washer fluid sprayers, that's important to me!

did NOT remove the rubber that protects the very bottom edge of the windshield (to keep the seal of the windshield protected from anything that could possibly hit it, rocks, hail, ect),

kept it so my "fresh air" still works on driver and passenger side

kept two of the engine bay covers that cover the strut tower bar EXCEPT i cut the part that was completly covering the CENTER section of the bar because

1) the bar looks cool, admit it
2) i realized if i didn't cut the center section to match the cowl cutting, the mod would kind of been a waste because before i cut the center bar it blocked ALL that "NEW OPENING" i made, so cut cut peeps!

DON"T just toss out the strut tower bar covers - there's tons of electronics under those and i wanted to make sure there was an absolut ZERO chance of water entering those areas in combonation with keeping 2 of the "fresh air" vents in the parts of the cowl i left, this works as a perfect seal for those areas!

From a week of driving around like this,, i've noticed 1) my CAI pipe is NEVER hot anymore, luke warm at most, 2) i can put my hands on my engine bay cover and intake manifold without being burned, 3) after the car is shut off, i put my hand where i Modded the heat to escape, and boy does IT ESCAPE! this mod was WELL WORTH the very little time it took to do, and my car does not lag like it used too!

side note - NO dremel was used in the making of this project, meaning you DON"T need a dremel for everything to the guys (like myself) who don't own a dremel, a razer blade in a holder cuts thru the cowl like BUTTER, just an FYI.

AND... TAKE YOUR TIME, i did and very pleased with the results of it all =)

next little project will be routing ducting hose from behind the grill straight to the CAI...

here are some pics of the "Semi-UCM".... finally lol

oh one last thing, i got bored during the project cuz it went by so fast, so i decided to paint my engine bay cover and intake manifold cover, that was fun and made the engine look not so dingy,dirty, crap lookin,, Brilliant Gold was the color i used to contrast my Abyss Blue Pearl exterior,, hm Gold colored wheels? who knows... it does look pretty hot on blue cars tho, just my .02.. what do you all think of my interpretation of this mod?

Old 10-10-2009, 11:42 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

cool, i guess if u don't want to cut your hood up then it's alright, LOL. good job on the mini heat extraction, probably do it myself for extra venting! not feelin the cover though.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:00 AM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
do you think this would work on a second gen?
Old 10-15-2009, 06:22 AM
practicing nihilist

it's already in the 50's where I'm at so I will shelve this until it warms up again.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Like the semi UCM; don't like the Carolina blue IM cover.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Safety Car

Wow, wow, wow

I am so proud. Seriously. I feel like a proud parent.

DAMN GOOD JOB Liquidflex81

I am proud because I see someone taking my idea and improving it to the next quantum level.

I still send my thanks to HQTL6SPD for designing the "Swiss Cheese" UCM. HQTL6SPD did a fine job of redesigning the UCM to fit the needs of the typical forum member. The "Swiss Cheese" UCM is a severe compromise in the power (Billy Mays, God bless you) of the UCM. But, for the person that is concerned with appearances, the "Swiss Cheese" UCM can be made to look "tricked out" while still offering some cooling benefit.

But, this Semi-UCM is a totally different animal. I go beyond just endorsing the Semi-UCM as a "compromise" to the real UCM. This is not a "Semi" version of the UCM. This is the New and Improved UCM.... there is nothing "semi" about it.... there is nothing compromising about it.... This is the New and Improved UCM.

Liquidflex81 - I know that you wanted to have a brand name. But, to call your mod as the "Semi-UCM" is not appropriate. If you are in agreement, I would like to call your mod as the "New and Improved" UCM. But, you remain the creator of the "New and Improved" UCM.

In the past few months of living with the UCM, I have found that the vast majority of the heat escapes thru this exact location where the "New and Improved" UCM has it's opening. After parking my car in the evenings upon arriving at home, I often times would place my hand along the entire length of the UCM opening. While parked, I discovered that nearly all of the heat was escaping along the middle of the cowl length, the exact location where the "New and Improved" UCM has it's opening. Makes sense to me.... The middle is the highest (elevation) part of the hood and hot air seeks the highest point before finding it's way thru the opening.

So, I assume that this is the sweat spot too when the car is in motion too. But, the most important aspect of the "New and Improved" UCM is that it has uncompromising surface area to allow adequate air flow to escape.

So, I present to you the "New and Improved" UCM, founded by Liquidflex81.

The original UCM will remain as a mod for the hardcore radical person, such as myself.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:26 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in seattle, I can't be doing this mod at all lol

Quick Reply: The Ultimate Cooling Mod