The Ultimate Cooling Mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
The Thunderhill TL did it in 04. Wish there was something released to be able to do this.

Always loved the look of this car!
Dude, you forgot to check the pic first. They changed the pic on you.

When you said "The Thunderhill TL did it...", what did it do ? Did the Thunderhill TL have it's cowling removed ?
Old 08-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I wonder what would happen if we lowered water temps by 5-10 degrees via the thermostat.....

Of course there would be many supplimental things that would have to go along with this such as fan turn on point which would make it pretty much not worth doing. There's always the chance the computer won't like it and throw a check engine light too.
Good question. I had thought of going this route at first. I was looking into the Mugen thermostat and Mugen fan switch. But, I think our TL does not use a fan switch. The ECU controls the fans directly (well, via a relay).

My second idea was to make both oem fans stay on continuously (well, with key in the "on" position). I had even studied the wiring diagram to figure out how to do it. I was close to implementing it when I thought of removing the cowling. I was reluctant to make the fans run at 100% duty cycle - Could the wiring handle 100% duty cycle? Could the fans handle it? Worried about the strain on the electrical system with 100% duty cycle of both fans. (For other readers, please don't reply to these questions.. these are rhetorical questions).

The moment I thought of the cowling, I knew that was "the" answer. I instinctively knew (again, that empirical data) that the answer would involve keeping the underhood temps down. I didn't feel good about just having the coolant run cooler. Empirical data does not support this notion. In winter, our TL's run GREAT, but the coolant is at the same temp as summer (an assumption on my part).
Old 08-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Dude, you forgot to check the pic first. They changed the pic on you.

When you said "The Thunderhill TL did it...", what did it do ? Did the Thunderhill TL have it's cowling removed ?
Not sure what you mean? They did 2 of them did they not? 1 in 04 and another in 05.

They had the hood cowled right above and after the Supercharger to create better airflow over the SC.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Safety Car

Black_05_TL_6SP,

I think your computer has that pic cached (saved). Thus, you are not seeing the pic that everyone else is seeing. The pic is of a new silver corvette.

Here is what we see --->

Old 08-12-2009, 01:38 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 255 Likes on 207 Posts
Here is the pic you want.

Name:  img1120bv9.jpg
Views: 3343
Size:  54.9 KB
Old 08-12-2009, 02:07 PM
horny =

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That is the one I was speaking of. I remember ACCURATEin saying he saw the car somewhere and they just cut and bent the hood.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Safety Car

Thanks Hi speed

Old 08-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Very nice. Into the grill, through the radiator, over the supercharger and exit out the hood into the high velocity low pressure area. That looks like an efficient setup but it may not bring the air over the engine like Inaccurate's setup.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Safety Car

but it may not bring the air over the engine like Inaccurate's setup.
My thoughts too. The heat from the primary cats will stagnant along the entire upper half of the engine compartment. Those Thunderhill vents appear to create a safe-haven for the hot air in the rear upper section of the compartment. Whereas, the removed cowl causes the airflow to transverse the entire compartment.

Disclaimer - All of the above is based on my theory, no facts.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Black_05_TL_6SP,

I think your computer has that pic cached (saved). Thus, you are not seeing the pic that everyone else is seeing. The pic is of a new silver corvette.

Here is what we see --->

Unfortunately I can not see your hosted images (workplace blocks your hosting site). But its weird, I took the location of the image and saved it, it pulls up the correct one on the desktop. I added it to my photo gallery, so lets try it from there.

They had 2 versions of the car for different years, pretty much the same.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Safety Car

Whoop ! That pic works. Thanks Black_05_TL_6SP
Old 08-12-2009, 04:55 PM
horny =

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That is the exact pic!
Old 08-12-2009, 06:28 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
I'm almost afraid to say this out loud because I'm well aware of the negatives associated with it.....

I wonder what would happen if we lowered water temps by 5-10 degrees via the thermostat.....

Of course there would be many supplimental things that would have to go along with this such as fan turn on point which would make it pretty much not worth doing. There's always the chance the computer won't like it and throw a check engine light too.
i been thinking about this for a couple of months. the firebird guys do this all the time with no adverse affects
Old 08-13-2009, 08:35 AM
Safety Car

UPDATE

I drove thru 10 miles of very heavy rain yesterday evening. On the freeway, all traffic was doing 40 mph with wipers on "high". This was a non-stop intense downpour for 10 miles.

The exposed filter did great. Once I got away from the rain and back onto dry roads, I paid close attention to the car's throttle response. I romped on the throttle in various positions to test for a wet filter. Perfect throttle response. I notice no difference from normal.

One thing that proved to be true was AEM's claim "DRYFLOW filter media ... resists water absorption." I looked at and touched the filter after getting home. It did not seem to be water soaked. Just very slightly damp on the outer surface.

There was no problems with the removed cowl. The engine compartment was completely dry. I did see a few drops of water sitting on top of the tape (red arrow in pic above). This means that the water, to some extent (?), could be blown/splattered into the exposed opening. Be sure to close-off this opening. I plan to make a custom-fitted fiberglass lid (painted flat black) and affix the lid with sealant over this opening. This is one of those compromises we discussed earlier. There is no way in hell that I will put the cowl back on. Any problems/compromises will be dealt with as required, but replacing the plastic cowl panel is "not an option" - RIP !
Old 08-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Safety Car

It just occurred to me last night. I may have been causing a communication problem.

Throughout this thread, I often mention how much cooler the intake manifold is with the cowl removed.

I do NOT mean to imply that this is my goal! My goal in *not* to get the IM to run cool. I only use the IM as an example to illustrate how much cooler the ENTIRE ENGINE COMPARTMENT is running.

As discussed in the thread "Please HELP !!...Car sluggish or Flies" (link), we don't know specifically what component in the engine compartment is the troublemaker. But, there is a troublemaker. When that troublemaker gets too warm, there is trouble (loss of power). Instead of trying to solve who is the troublemaker, I decided to just make the entire engine compartment stay cool. Then he (whoever is the troublemaker) will not cause trouble.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Originally Posted by Opel

and as far as the high paid engineers go...they're actually overpaid...and they stand behind one, and only one thing "PROFIT"
Let me guess, you're not an engineer are you? See that computer you're typing on, the building you're in, the chair you're sitting in, the keyboard you're using, the mouse you're using? They're all designed by engineers.

So before you call them overpaid, think about that and STFU.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Safety Car

Watch the personal comments folks - on both sides (yes, I know "he" started it). This thread is to serve a more important purpose. I am not a mod, but I know where I can find one.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Let me guess, you're not an engineer are you? See that computer you're typing on, the building you're in, the chair you're sitting in, the keyboard you're using, the mouse you're using? They're all designed by engineers.

So before you call them overpaid, think about that and STFU.
I'm assuming you're an engineer. I work with them everyday and some quite honestly are overpaid and lack any sort of common sense. I'm sure you're good at what you do but it's sort of a sore spot with me because I have to make decisions and wait on an engineer to approve it and all that ends up happening is a pissing contest where I'm right 99% of the time.

Let's keep it classy.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
I'm assuming you're an engineer. I work with them everyday and some quite honestly are overpaid and lack any sort of common sense. I'm sure you're good at what you do but it's sort of a sore spot with me because I have to make decisions and wait on an engineer to approve it and all that ends up happening is a pissing contest where I'm right 99% of the time.

Let's keep it classy.
Yes I know. There are wide ranges of jobs that people can do, and wide-ranging performances within each job description. It just pisses me off when people call engineers worthless and overpaid, and 99% of the stuff we eat, use, sleep, drive, live in, sit on, walk on, etc. is designed by some sort of engineer.

Yes there are some engineers that are worthless and overpaid - I'm most likely one of them. But to classify EVERY engineer like that is unfair and a blanket generalization. Our entire infrastructure would not be here if it were not for engineers.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Yes I know. There are wide ranges of jobs that people can do, and wide-ranging performances within each job description. It just pisses me off when people call engineers worthless and overpaid, and 99% of the stuff we eat, use, sleep, drive, live in, sit on, walk on, etc. is designed by some sort of engineer.

Yes there are some engineers that are worthless and overpaid - I'm most likely one of them. But to classify EVERY engineer like that is unfair and a blanket generalization. Our entire infrastructure would not be here if it were not for engineers.
Of course, I would never say all engineers are overpaid or worthless. They're very necessary. I'm lucky enough to work with a guy that was a professor at MIT and is now an engineer at my company. I feel like I should be paying him instead of him paying me for all the stuff I learn working with him.

There are the new guys that come in and know everything and won't listen to common sense or experience also.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
ok fellas... i think both points regarding engineers have been voiced... please lets get back to the thread...

you can continue the debate in ramblings if you want... but lets not crap up this thread...
The following users liked this post:
jauman (10-06-2013)
Old 08-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
I agree .... ive been waiting for 4 years to get rid of this problem.... so lets see what the final solution is going to be...

by the way big thanks to Inaccurate and others alike
Old 08-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Oh geeez, i missed this whole thing.... IHC, thanks
Old 08-14-2009, 12:00 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
bump for a thermostat
Old 08-14-2009, 12:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Be aware that the fans put a crazy amount of draw on the alternator therefore costing you a good bit of HP.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:53 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe I'm late getting in but what putting in levlour's on the hood. Texas HOT Cali even HOTTER, some of the CHP cars that are K-9 units have this mod done to them since they always run the A/C to keep the Dogs cool. Its that or the ones that don't prop the hood open when they show up at a sceen and are going to be there for a while. That way you don't have to worry about some one getting onder your hood and screwing around.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Now granted I don't drive a TL, but my G35, like most every other vehicle on the road experiences reduced performance in the warmer months. These late model cars have very finicky ECUs that are focused on motor and tranny longevity. All sorts of parameters (intake air temps, baro pressure, coolant temp, automatic transmission temp, oil temp, knock sensor(s), engine load and rpm, etc.) are monitored very closely. Thanks to the introduction of drive-by-wire throttle control, the ECU can take over throttle application whenever it deems appropiate. This is how traction control and stability control systems operate.

Through my own datalogging and drag racing experience, I've learned/observed the following with my past cars (modded 94 Z28, modded 96 Maxima, modded 03 G35) I've raced at the strip and monitored:

1) At a stop, naturally the engine/coolant temps rise. If you have an intake that is not pulling air directly from outside the engine bay, intake air temps skyrocket very quickly. It is not uncommon to see 40 to 60 increases over ambient. If you have a POP charger or CAI, you're is experiencing elevated intake air temps.

2) Once rolling at speeds over 30mph or so, the engine bay temps drop to within 5 to 10 degrees of ambient. This is with no modifications to increase cooling or air movement under the hood.

3) Regardless of what's done to aid in reducing engine heat soak, the engine is going to heat soak. Engine bays are cramped and full of very hot components. There are radient sources throughout the bay. You might be able to lower component temps by 5 to 10 degrees, but when it's heat soaked to over 120 degrees, it really just doesn't matter.

4) Metal intake pipes are a bad idea, no matter what you do to keep them cool. They will warm up. Pipe jackets or blankets shield from significant radient heat. Not hot surrounding air temps. The pipe will heat soak.

5) Density altitude. You have no control over this. Hot ambient temps, low baro pressure, and high humidity kill engine power regardless of how cool you keep a motor. A majority of the lost power in the summer is simply because the air density is sucking out 5% to 15% of your motor's available power. That's why it feel so lethargic.

6) Hot engine vs cold engine and hot lapping at the strip. I've done these comparisons with all my cars at the strip. The reality is hot vs cold engine and hot lapping doesn't really effect performance assuming you're not doing 3+ laps. The only thing that really seems to kill performance at the strip is density altitude.

IMO, you guys are really just wasting your time with these "cooling mods". Adding a cooler T-stat will only keep the engine temps marginally lower. Removing the cowl may help push hot air out of the engine bay, but from what I've seen on three cars, the hot air is pushed out quite nicely once rolling. Engine heat might be allowed to radiate out from cowl area while you're stopped, but it still going to be crazy hot under that hood on an 80 degree+ day. Nearly all the power loss you're experiencing in the summer is directly related to conditions out of your control. If you don't like it, get a turbo car. They are not remotely as sensitive to air density variations because they generate their own atmosphere. When the air is thin, boost naturally increases to make up the difference. This is why turbos are so ideal in higher altitudes.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dave_B
If you don't like it, get a turbo car. They are not remotely as sensitive to air density variations because they generate their own atmosphere. When the air is thin, boost naturally increases to make up the difference. This is why turbos are so ideal in higher altitudes.
True in regards to altitude. But turbo cars seem to hate hot days worse than NA cars. You've got the same heatsoak and hotter charge temps but you're also got less cooling going on with the intercooler. This is why meth injection is so great. You get winter like performance in the middle of summer. I remember bracket racing with tons of GNs against the Mustangs. Everything was great in the day but we were losing to the Mustangs left and right as we hit night time because the turbo cars were picking up as much as half a second in the cooler temps and breaking out.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Team Owner

Dave- I think the real problem here is Honda needs to lower the compression or back off the aggressive timing in these cars. The TL falls off worse than normal cars in the heat because it's pulling so much timing. I drive the girlfriend's Murano in the same conditions and it has the normal varience between winter and summer but nowhere near what the TL experiences. Since Honda won't help, we have what you see here, individuals doing what they can to bandaid Honda's design.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Dave- I think the real problem here is Honda needs to lower the compression or back off the aggressive timing in these cars. The TL falls off worse than normal cars in the heat because it's pulling so much timing. I drive the girlfriend's Murano in the same conditions and it has the normal varience between winter and summer but nowhere near what the TL experiences. Since Honda won't help, we have what you see here, individuals doing what they can to bandaid Honda's design.
Has anyone actually confirmed the amount of timing being pulled? The TL's compression ratio is an 11:1 which is pretty high. My G's in 10.3:1. In the warmer temps, I've datalogged some pretty significant reductions in timing with my G and many times you feel the motor changing the timing or throttle control. You can go WOT and feels laggy and about a second later it's as if you pressed the pedal down another 30%. It's almost like a turbo surge.

While I don't doubt Honda is pretty conservative with their tuning, especially since the CR is so high, much of issue can't be controlled. I really think some people need to get dataloggers to see what's really happening. Dataloggers are cheap ($130-150) and worth every penny. Atmospheric conditions, high engine oil temps, air temps, and tranny fluid temps are what is driving the reduced performance. Not the fact that the motor is hot. A hot motor is an efficent and powerful motor. The problem is it's hard to have both a hot motor and cold dense air. If you want dramatically improved performance in the summer, figure out a way to cool the air as it enters the intake tract.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Safety Car

Here is a brief DIY for making the Shark Mouth Grill.

"The Shark Mouth" - DIY (click here)
Old 08-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

timing is at 10 +- 2 so it can be 8-12 degrees
Old 08-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dave_B
Has anyone actually confirmed the amount of timing being pulled? The TL's compression ratio is an 11:1 which is pretty high. My G's in 10.3:1. In the warmer temps, I've datalogged some pretty significant reductions in timing with my G and many times you feel the motor changing the timing or throttle control. You can go WOT and feels laggy and about a second later it's as if you pressed the pedal down another 30%. It's almost like a turbo surge.

While I don't doubt Honda is pretty conservative with their tuning, especially since the CR is so high, much of issue can't be controlled. I really think some people need to get dataloggers to see what's really happening. Dataloggers are cheap ($130-150) and worth every penny. Atmospheric conditions, high engine oil temps, air temps, and tranny fluid temps are what is driving the reduced performance. Not the fact that the motor is hot. A hot motor is an efficent and powerful motor. The problem is it's hard to have both a hot motor and cold dense air. If you want dramatically improved performance in the summer, figure out a way to cool the air as it enters the intake tract.

It pulls up to 18 degrees at part throttle, a little less at full throttle. Very light acceleration still shows a few degrees being pulling continuously. It goes completely away in the winter with the exception of a couple degrees here and there at wide open.

I have a trans cooler, home made cold air intake using factory (plastic) plumbing, and from what I've seen with other members, oil temps are quite low, rarely going above 200 degrees during normal driving. Water temps are surprisingly stable at 198 degrees. I haven't been able to get it to move more han 2 degrees.

All readings look fine. 02 voltage is a little on the lean side but not drastic and it's steady throughout the rpm range. Plugs have been replaced with one step colder. I've moved the IAT sensor to diferent places, both hotter and colder to see if I could trick the computer into either adding more fuel or reducing timing. I've done a water decarbonization. Checked the EGR for flow.

This thing is totally dependant on ambient temps. Up to about 95 degrees it's fine. Above 105 it literally takes 1/2 pedal or more just to keep up with traffic from a redlight all the while surging from the computer pulling timing and putting it back in. The problem goes away with race gas. I just ran a tank of 109 unleaded and it ran great.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Team Owner

timing is at 10 +- 2 so it can be 8-12 degrees

Is this idle timing? Seems almost too low. My turbo car runs 22 degrees at 28psi boost and 24 degrees at less boost. Even with the high CR I would expect WOT timing to be at least in the low 20 degree range.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

yes
Old 08-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Team Owner

yes
That makes sense. Do you happen to have total timing at WOT? I'm curious what it's running.

Do these engines use a traditional crank sensor triggered off the harmonic balancer? Maybe I should have my CNC guy make me an offset key to pull back timing lol.

Yes, I know this would retard cam timing too, it's a joke.....sort of.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

That makes sense. Do you happen to have total timing at WOT? I'm curious what it's running.

Do these engines use a traditional crank sensor triggered off the harmonic balancer? Maybe I should have my CNC guy make me an offset key to pull back timing lol.

Yes, I know this would retard cam timing too, it's a joke.....sort of.
dont have total timing. there's a crank sensor triggered by a gear behind the crank timing pulley, not the harmonic....its tucked inside...and its a bitch and a half to get to it... since im talking about it...i had to strip it down once...trying to take out the harmonic, couldn't losen the bolt....went by a shop to get it lose with a strong air gun...didnt happen,,,,they ended up trying to torch the bolt to break it lose...burnt the timing cover a bit...still nothing...so i left... i tried the retarded way, i was just determined to get this...socket, extension, breaker bar leaning on the control arm....yes you guessed it.... i crank the motor to break it loose...didnt happen... then i try to start the car... it wouldn't start...right away i thought the freaking crank sensor got messed up from the torch.. so i waited till i got the harmonic tool !!! this was over thanksgiving weekend, stores closed, i was screwed... i get it opened, check the sensor it was fine lol.... turned out , i had jumped 4 teeth on the front cam lol
Old 08-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
This thread has gone from casual discussion about engine bay cooling to talk only someon with a technical college degree could understand. Chock full of information nonetheless, learning a lot from this thread. Great job, guys
Old 08-14-2009, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not owning a 3G, all i can say is WOW

and i really wish you owned a 2G just so you can show us what else we can do to our cars.

great work and great info!
Old 08-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why not fab up some gutter guard to replace the cowl to keep out debre

Quick Reply: The Ultimate Cooling Mod