Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Come on, you should know better. Oil arrives at parts in less than 1/2 second after you turn the key. If it had to thin out first your engine would sieze up every time it was cold started. I run a straight 30 and I have instant oil pressure.
i put it out the wrong way....lol...motor cant run dry at any time period...my bad...lol just meant to say...its harder for the thick oil to flow through at extreme cold temps initially...not that nothing flows through at all, cause thatd sieze up the motor...but a thinner oil will make it through offering full protection right away..... but with todays oils....it dfoesnt even matter anymore...ull get enough flow right off the bat either way...
just kinda throwing the concept out there.... that was some of the manufactures concern with using thick oils at first, in the fuel injection vehicles, as they will start no matter what, even at very cold conditions... concerns of thick oil not offering enough protection at cold starts due to limited flow.... it reminds me of why in the winter time...when i first start the car in cold weather, i only idle for about 30 sec to one min...and start driving....put load on the motor and make it warm up faster ( i dont mean redlining it, just normal driving at low revs), which would warm up the oil faster, rather than sit there for 10 mins, running a cold engine
Old 08-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

geeeeez.....roll up the windows man....almost every vid i ever see from inside moving cars...they're either with windows fully open, or blasting music
Old 08-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
My Dearest Opel,

I am not positive, but pretty sure on the following. On the 5AT, the throttle-by-wire does temporarily close the butterfly between shifts, even when at WOT.

DRIVE-BY-WIRE THROTTLE CONTROL SYSTEM

The throttle system works with the available SportShift 5-speed automatic transmission to make shifts faster and smoother than has been possible before. By coordinating the throttle opening with the transmission's shifting functions, engine power can be precisely tailored to the needs of the transmission at every point during the shifting process. That means less shift shock and delay, no matter the driving situation.

SOURCE: http://corporate.honda.com/press/article.aspx?id=3783

COOPERATION BETWEEN TRANSMISSION AND DRIVE-BY-WIRE™ THROTTLE SYSTEM

Shift speed and smoothness are enhanced as a result of cooperation between the Drive-by-Wire™ throttle system and the electronically controlled Sequential SportShift transmission. During upshifts and downshifts, the engine can be throttled by the engine management system, reducing peak forces (shift shock) on transmission components, thus improving component reliability and decreasing driveline harshness.

SOURCE: http://www.hondacarforum.com/acura-t...owertrain.html
Old 08-02-2009, 03:07 AM
Got your mom in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Opel
geeeeez.....roll up the windows man....almost every vid i ever see from inside moving cars...they're either with windows fully open, or blasting music
I have two layers of tint. If i rolled my windows up you wouldnt have seen shit.

Originally Posted by phee
Those videos sucked testicals
Is this a confession?
Old 08-02-2009, 03:14 AM
Got your mom in

That makes sense. The quality here is pretty bad.

Silva, would it be possible to get a video where you guys are rolling side by side and you punch it first?
yea the video is pretty low quality. my camera is the blame. This was a spontaneous thing and all i had with me was a digital camera...

and to answer ur questions, i tried but everytime i pull up next to him, i hear him spooling and he takes off
Old 08-02-2009, 10:31 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Silva-type-s
I have two layers of tint. If i rolled my windows up you wouldnt have seen shit.

Is this a confession?
not at all. just a critique on the cinematography. poor shot framing was the cause.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Got your mom in

Originally Posted by phee
not at all. just a critique on the cinematography. poor shot framing was the cause.
i was more concerned with watching the road, while i stuck the camera outside the window and sunroof.....They're certain things that i refuse to multitask at and this is one of them. i'd rather watch the road than watch his car and possibly kill someone or myself.

by they way i have a few in car vids that he asked me to film with the same camera. i'll post later
Old 08-02-2009, 11:03 AM
....just dancing in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank Silva-Type-S for the vid's....but yes the quality is lacking. IHC is right, try getting a rolling side by side shot. Or even better, ride shotgun with Rodney for a more personal feel for the power it is producing. Nice sound this car is making minus the wind noise from your camera......
Old 08-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
My Dearest Opel,

I am not positive, but pretty sure on the following. On the 5AT, the throttle-by-wire does temporarily close the butterfly between shifts, even when at WOT.

DRIVE-BY-WIRE THROTTLE CONTROL SYSTEM

The throttle system works with the available SportShift 5-speed automatic transmission to make shifts faster and smoother than has been possible before. By coordinating the throttle opening with the transmission's shifting functions, engine power can be precisely tailored to the needs of the transmission at every point during the shifting process. That means less shift shock and delay, no matter the driving situation.

SOURCE: http://corporate.honda.com/press/article.aspx?id=3783

COOPERATION BETWEEN TRANSMISSION AND DRIVE-BY-WIRE™ THROTTLE SYSTEM

Shift speed and smoothness are enhanced as a result of cooperation between the Drive-by-Wire™ throttle system and the electronically controlled Sequential SportShift transmission. During upshifts and downshifts, the engine can be throttled by the engine management system, reducing peak forces (shift shock) on transmission components, thus improving component reliability and decreasing driveline harshness.

SOURCE: http://www.hondacarforum.com/acura-t...owertrain.html
yes dear Mr. Inaccurate...

im aware of all of that....but there's nothing that tells me, the throttle temporarily closes between shifts..... maybe you meant , "partially"

heres what happens to reduce tranny shock and all that...it all depends on the gear ratios,,, at the end of one gear, as it shifts into the next, the throttle will close as much as it needs to match the RPM of the next gear, so the tranny isn's shocked with 100% of the engine power...

you can think of it as the difference between lift throttle shifting, and full throttle shifting......but the throttle wont close temporarily, because the way id translate that is as if it shuts to idle opening , and then it opens back up

Last edited by Opel; 08-02-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
HEy guys be curtious this wasn't a planned video shot or else it would be better , we met up & ended up hanging out he had a camera so we just went for it plus yesterday we were testing , just beating the snot out of it with dump tube open under the simulating a heat wave with the ac running ..( Uh ) what we did was run an open wastegate with just a2" turn down , drive car under full boost this way all the hot air gets trapped under the hood with ac on to make sure thatheat gauge wouldn't creep up , ... Why well put it like this u decide to run car all day then just head home then boom u hit the highway and there's a bad accident highway is shut down for 30 min we were just making sure we wouldn't encounter any cooling issues .....thanks silva types .... Next time well have good videos ....
Old 08-02-2009, 11:44 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when u blow i got the engine for you lol
Old 08-02-2009, 11:53 AM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lol
Old 08-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Got your mom in

by the way Pass427's was at 8psi for these vids.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hondanyc05
when u blow i got the engine for you lol
Let me know ,reason been if I get a spare I will retune to 550 whp with aem water injection and get down with some real videos .......
Old 08-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Be nice to silva types , he has the key to unlock the 150+ video , only he was brave enough to ride along....
Old 08-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Advanced

i wonder how much the TL engines can handle? drop in a S/C and a TURBO at the same time. u never know.......... "just a thought"
Old 08-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Originally Posted by INTEG-
i wonder how much the TL engines can handle? drop in a S/C and a TURBO at the same time. u never know.......... "just a thought"
... sure... lets install a 2 JigaWatt Flux Cap too.. Yeah!.. just drop it in!.. I think you should read FI 101.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:58 PM
SHAWD 04TL is in

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
those flashes dont look like reflected light.... it happens around the same time... a few seconds after he punches it? plus what are the odds of the flashes happenning in 2 videos(the last two)... flames out he exhaust...hmmm (dont flame me cuz im a noob at these blown mods)
Old 08-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by TRIOD3SIGNS
those flashes dont look like reflected light.... it happens around the same time... a few seconds after he punches it? plus what are the odds of the flashes happenning in 2 videos(the last two)... flames out he exhaust...hmmm (dont flame me cuz im a noob at these blown mods)
That's what I was concerned with, that the timing was way retarded due to detonation, super rich mixture, or some combo of something wrong. I don't want to see this thing fail.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

I understand and he is running rich. He changed the plugs the same morning and they were burnt.

He does not want it to fail either, he explained to me that's why he been running the car so hard. he testing the reliability of the kit on the motor and so far (knock on wood) everything has been going pretty good. i hope it works out

He also walked all over a G37 the other night. i wanted to see the drivers face.
what do you mean by burnt plugs? and what plugs is he using? how much colder?

and the g37s arent that fast....assuming it was a stock .... 287 whp vs 437 whp.. and theyre 3700 lbs... u also made a comment as, no one's been able to leave u like that unless they were boosted or juiced..... ANY 400 hp NA car will leave you like that
Old 08-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Got your mom in

That's what I was concerned with, that the timing was way retarded due to detonation, super rich mixture, or some combo of something wrong. I don't want to see this thing fail.
I understand and he is running rich, but i highly doubt i could have missed it twice if there was a flame. He changed the plugs the same morning and they were burnt. it happened the same time maybe bcuz by that time he pulled the same distance. he has chrome exhaust cans and there was traffic so i really think its someones headlightif not mine. After the in car vids and we were heading home he did another pull and i didnt see any flames. if there was i wouldnt have missed it at that time of night either

He does not want it to fail either, he explained to me that's why he been running the car so hard. he testing the reliability of the kit on the motor and so far (knock on wood) everything has been going pretty good. i hope it works out

He also walked all over a G37 the other night. i wanted to see the drivers face.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:51 AM
Got your mom in

what do you mean by burnt plugs? and what plugs is he using? how much colder?

and the g37s arent that fast....assuming it was a stock .... 287 whp vs 437 whp.. and theyre 3700 lbs... u also made a comment as, no one's been able to leave u like that unless they were boosted or juiced..... ANY 400 hp NA car will leave you like that
cant provide more clarity than that. burnt meaning black... they were NGK's

i stated earlier that he was at 8 PSI, he wasn't even pushing 400hp

you're a real hater yo. flooded with negativity... i meant no TL. im pretty sure it will leave urs tha same way too assuming (since you do so much of it) those are ur real numbers
Old 08-03-2009, 01:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

cant provide more clarity than that. burnt meaning black... they were NGK's

i stated earlier that he was at 8 PSI, he wasn't even pushing 400hp

you're a real hater yo. flooded with negativity... i meant no TL. im pretty sure it will leave urs tha same way too assuming (since you do so much of it) those are ur real numbers
8 psi brought him back to less than 400? and 9 brings him up to almost 440? thats one heck of a magical PSI... theres no reason for me to hate anything...and there's no negativity either...just simply saying beating a stock g37 isn't that challenging when he's pushing that kinda power, and the TL is lighter too, oh and it runs shorter gear ratios too.... but if ud said... the tl was neck to neck with a vette... then yes, that'd get my attention... i beat g35s when i was nearly stock...and g37s arent that much faster then their succesor ............ catch the drift? dont take it so personal, because i aint the guy's enemy (the one that started the turbo) ...besides, we're cool.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:31 AM
Got your mom in

8 psi brought him back to less than 400? and 9 brings him up to almost 440? thats one heck of a magical PSI... theres no reason for me to hate anything...and there's no negativity either...just simply saying beating a stock g37 isn't that challenging when he's pushing that kinda power, and the TL is lighter too, oh and it runs shorter gear ratios too.... but if ud said... the tl was neck to neck with a vette... then yes, that'd get my attention... i beat g35s when i was nearly stock...and g37s arent that much faster then their succesor ............ catch the drift? dont take it so personal, because i aint the guy's enemy (the one that started the turbo) ...besides, we're cool.
. ask him urself and he'll tell you he's at 8.6 i believe. i go by what he tells me.. and FYI a yellow vette did back off earlier that day..i was hoping to catch a vid of that... taking it personal? its a forum...how could you have an enemy on a forum?. they're people here that tend to be pricks but i dont call them enemies.... its not that serious. thats why i didnt mind the comments about the crappy videos, even though they were.... i just read a few of ur posts and thats wat i got. maybe im wrong yea you beat them (g35's) but you dont put bus lenghts on them.. yes it bcuz he's boosted but the car performed well in general ...... not many people thought the TL was boost capable but look where its at........ rodney tried to take on a bike last night also but i have no idea how that turned out, after they punched it i just decided to save my gas and go home
Old 08-03-2009, 04:27 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
What engine mods are you running to get 375? Is that at the crank or at the wheel? I know the sig says WHP but just wanna clarify.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Since I got fans put in a day before the meet I had to get the car retuned the night before the meet @ around 8:00 pm street tuned, so we didn't get time to turn up boost I'll go back on the dyno in about two weeks let's see where that takes me , as far as flames we were rolling 8-9 cars I'm sure if I was spitting flames someone would have seen , but I can't see so I can't elaborate, but I very much doubt it like silva types noted we did a few night pulls which he would definetly see then ....
Old 08-03-2009, 07:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Well we"ll try this again next week or so , or come check it out at our dyno day august 29 at Aljaps performance sign up sheet is in regions south east ...
Old 08-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Advanced

can u pass smog with this turbo?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
I'm pretty sure you're going to be removing your precats & probably run a high flow / gutted 3rd Cat.. If you're emission system is in a ready status then the OBDII check should be okay but a visual or sniff test will be a failure.. This mod is not for the mechanically squeamish or those apprehenisve over the smog test..
Old 08-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Hopefully tuner doesn't get mad at mr but tell me what degree of timing you would consider low and I'll confirm where we at on this tune..
Old 08-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,239 Likes on 703 Posts
Here's your answer.
The turbo TL will fail the visual and tailpipe tests miserably. No precats= no chance at passing, not worth trying.

Uninstalling shouldn't be that bad. The battery can stay where it's at, the oil feed and return can be capped off. It will be a quicker process than the initial installation.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pass427
Hopefully tuner doesn't get mad at mr but tell me what degree of timing you would consider low and I'll confirm where we at on this tune..
I've never seen what the TL runs at WOT. What I would be more concerned with is if it's pulling more than 2 degrees due to knock. 2 degrees or less of KR is generally considered the maximum safe amount across the board regardless of car manufacturer.

I wonder what the limits of the stock ignition is..... I would guess pretty high but that's another thing to think about as the boost gets cranked up. At some point you may have to start closing down the gap on the plugs.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Got your mom in

Windows & sunroof open. music playing

Windows and sunroof closed. 157mph run

opened up the windows again
Old 08-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Team Owner

And now the million dollar question from a thread years ago, does the car have a governor or did you let off?

And I forgot to say in my other post, I don't think your tuner is going to want advice from some guy on the internet, it may make him mad.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Burning Brakes

And now the million dollar question from a thread years ago, does the car have a governor or did you let off?

And I forgot to say in my other post, I don't think your tuner is going to want advice from some guy on the internet, it may make him mad.
well on those runs and ill admit videos werent great eithr no one to blame but me next batch will be better,i let off those runs ran out of space,but even b4 boost i use to take it to 160 pegged and keep going ,and ive had times at 155 governer kicks in......
Old 08-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Burning Brakes

And I forgot to say in my other post, I don't think your tuner is going to want advice from some guy on the internet, it may make him mad.[/QUOTE]

even if he doesnt which i didnt get to ask how much timing were running which he probably wont tell me,but your input is always appreciated and valued on this forum....
Old 08-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Videos are good but man that is a lot of drone in the exhaust.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Got your mom in

^a custom 3 inch exhaust will do that
Old 08-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

ive had mine cut out somewhere between 155-160. i dont know who said the car isn't governed.. but i experienced it more than i care to remember.

the fact that he has a good piggyback, it may have had that removed, or his tuner did so and pass isn't aware of it... but as far as them being governed, and its not drag limited either... they are governed...and if anyone ever said they're not...what speed did they reach? or did they say the car just kept going and they were about to hit 200 mph but they stopped.

as far as tuners not wanting advice...there's basic things that are applied to these things regardless of where the advice comes from. difference is...some tuners consider safety first and will stop a bit below that fine line, while some others will pull some extreme knife edge tuning
Old 08-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pass427
even if he doesnt which i didnt get to ask how much timing were running which he probably wont tell me,but your input is always appreciated and valued on this forum....[/quote]
he should tell u...i dont agree with that...u need to know whats going on with ur car...besides, you should be able to log into ur f/i c and take a look at the map and see exactly whats going on.... aside from that...there's obdII scanners that will log all the data for a period of driving, as u set it.

i did this once...while i actually had a diff kinda scanner...it didnt record anything unless smth set off CEL, which i caused it to do so...in that case there's a freeze frame stored when that happens, which i was able to access... every piece of info...injectors, timing, coolant temp, air temp, engine load, and blah blah blah

for instance, this was with no boost.... timing was +10 (+-2)

just some ideas

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08