Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put that kit on the market ASAP, you will make money...a lot of people have been waiting for this...make the TL as fast as it looks!

J32-35 + Turbo = Roll Killer!

Old 06-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 05TLRIDER
Hell, when's the FL meet?!?!?! I'll drive down from MN to see this thing in action. I think it would be fun to race and see just how much it will destroy a stock TL

Awesome work Pass!!!! Keep up the good work and more videos!!!!!!!!!
July 26th uve got a month to plan ur trip lol
Old 06-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Herro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
whats with the CEL? what codes is it throwing?
What CEL? I only see a maintenance reminder...
Old 06-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Just out of curiosity, what size intercooler piping are you running? I've found that you can go roughly 15-20% smaller after the intercooler than the pre intercooler piping without a performance loss.... maybe that will help with the clearance issues.
right now the"re 2.5' . but after south florida meet cars goes under the knife for revision which includes different layout as far as piping which ive gotten to see pic of layout will be nice ....
Old 06-25-2009, 11:05 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats really nice but way to much wheel spin lol.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TL|GTX
Thats really nice but way to much wheel spin lol.
considering i have nexen tires on lol that doesnt help .have to get back some nitto invo or drag radials ....plus if you noticed i took a while to shift hard to drive,shift& and hold camera....
Old 06-26-2009, 12:23 AM
Instructor

freakin awesome.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:02 AM
Make Nice, Not Rice

I apologize in advanced if this question is not related enough, or answered in the past 33 pages. I got tired after reading from page 27-33.

I've heard many people say the s/c is more "natural" for the car meaning it's safer. I'm all for long term mods, how safe is the turbo? I really would hate to see this turbo kill my engine and what not in a few years. Please enlighten me!
Old 06-26-2009, 04:50 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ballerjai
I apologize in advanced if this question is not related enough, or answered in the past 33 pages. I got tired after reading from page 27-33.

I've heard many people say the s/c is more "natural" for the car meaning it's safer. I'm all for long term mods, how safe is the turbo? I really would hate to see this turbo kill my engine and what not in a few years. Please enlighten me!
that remains to be seen, since no one has had a turbo TL till recently. we all know the SC is rock solid and very reliable, with some members going over 100k without issues. i think the question right now is how are the other components like transmissions (auto and 6spd), axles, etc,... going to hold up, with the tremendous amount of torque the turbo will give over the SC. im a prime example, going on my 3rd 6spd tranny thus far and a hand full of axles to go with it . you know the saying, you have to pay to play..

frankly, i wouldnt dare put this kinda power into an autotragic, unless it was seriously beefed up. i dont care how big a tranny cooler you put in, its not going to last PERIOD.

Last edited by 04accordcpe; 06-26-2009 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:53 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by 04accordcpe
frankly, i wouldnt dare put this kinda power into an autotragic, unless it was seriously beefed up. i dont care how big a tranny cooler you put in, its not going to last PERIOD.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/very-interesting-conversation-my-transmission-builder-tl-721508/
Old 06-26-2009, 09:26 AM
....just dancing in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pass427
considering i have nexen tires on lol that doesnt help .have to get back some nitto invo or drag radials ....plus if you noticed i took a while to shift hard to drive,shift& and hold camera....
Hey Pass, many of us applaud and congratulate you on your quest. Please be careful when testing and filming your progress while driving. I believed someone offered their free video service to document your project. Oh and by the way, Honda Tech guys are watching to see if you can pull this off.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:49 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

ive read that thread, but it doesnt prove anything. the question is, how many people that have done this mod so far and are rocking 437whp with 410tq reliably?? time will tell.... remember, 410tq is roughly 130lbs more than a SC'd tl and hits with ALOT more brute force too.

thats why i keep saying, traction is going to own this car and if you solve it with stickier tires, than things are going to start to break. just trying to keep it real here, cause there will be ALOT more expected and unexpected expenses, other than just buying this turbo kit. :/
Old 06-26-2009, 01:03 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
ive read that thread, but it doesnt prove anything. the question is, how many people that have done this mod so far and are rocking 437whp with 410tq reliably?? time will tell.... remember, 410tq is roughly 130lbs more than a SC'd tl and hits with ALOT more brute force too.

thats why i keep saying, traction is going to own this car and if you solve it with stickier tires, than things are going to start to break. just trying to keep it real here, cause there will be ALOT more expected and unexpected expenses, other than just buying this turbo kit. :/
so I love the turbo work that pass and banelba put in.....but i hate to say i have the same questions....everytime i have asked this question pass and / or banelba have answered my question and restored my faith in not spending a whole lot after the kit.....but well i guess only time will tell.....i think i know the answer but i guess only time will tell LOL
Old 06-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Think it's safe to say that's why we are testing , and offering the kit at level where there's no need to start transforming the car from luxury.. But in the quest for power there's never enough, so we've taken that into consideration and performing all the hard work and testing to see exactly where or what power level we have to start upgrading a lot of parts....I've had the kit and clutch setup installed at 77k and now the car is at 81 or 82k .... And nothing else is upgraded so far , we all know it's time for a mount upgrade especially at 416 lb- tq...plus unlike the supercharger it robs no power to make power and the lag is minimal on the turbo kit ..... Not to say I'm the only one who beats on a car but if it all goes well under my abuse it will hold just fine ... As far as automatic , we will me installing one in a auto , and it will be in my care for testing , if it means I have swap cars with a auto owner .....
Old 06-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 77donovan77
Hey Pass, many of us applaud and congratulate you on your quest. Please be careful when testing and filming your progress while driving. I believed someone offered their free video service to document your project. Oh and by the way, Honda Tech guys are watching to see if you can pull this off.
Thanks for the heads up , and yeah xrvman was kind enough to do a shoot & possibly a diy video when it's ready (thanks xrv) ....I've invested my whole life savings into this project so rest assure the only way I'll give up is when there's no more Tl around to turbocharge .......
Old 06-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts

You're right of course about parts breakage.

What I think changes things with the turbo is that 130lbs of extra torque is actually 100lbs since you're not using some of it to drive the supercharger. It finds it's way to the wheels instead of the blower.

The number one is actual real engine management to keep it out of detonation and AF ratios safe. This alone is why the turbo cars are holding together with 100hp more. It doesn't hurt that charge air temps are likely half of what the supercharged temps are even at twice the boost.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Team Owner

Think it's safe to say that's why we are testing , and offering the kit at level where there's no need to start transforming the car from luxury.. But in the quest for power there's never enough, so we've taken that into consideration and performing all the hard work and testing to see exactly where or what power level we have to start upgrading a lot of parts....I've had the kit and clutch setup installed at 77k and now the car is at 81 or 82k .... And nothing else is upgraded so far , we all know it's time for a mount upgrade especially at 416 lb- tq...plus unlike the supercharger it robs no power to make power and the lag is minimal on the turbo kit ..... Not to say I'm the only one who beats on a car but if it all goes well under my abuse it will hold just fine ... As far as automatic , we will me installing one in a auto , and it will be in my care for testing , if it means I have swap cars with a auto owner .....
I think you have an awesome approach about this whole thing. You could've easily have thrown the kit together, made one dyno pull and hit the number, then put the kit on the market not knowing if it would be reliable. I applaud you for doing things right and actually caring that it's going to be reliable. Besides, "reliability" testing can be fun.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Has anyone thought of the gauge mount/setup on the cars(boost/a f gauge). cant exactly drill into the pillar with the airbag in it
Old 06-26-2009, 05:16 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
get one from the nissan gt-r

LOL....yeah i would like the setup nice and clean without toooo many gauges in my face !!!

shit now I would have to get the aftermarket navi in place of the stock navi (wanted to do an audio upgrade), with half din DVD in the bottom, and where the 6 cd changer is, we can put a screen with the gauges.....and obviously the HVAC display with the clock !!!!

SHIT that would look HAWT !!!!

Last edited by swoosh; 06-26-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:39 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
How does it drive at low RPM's? Looked like the video started at 3k, but good video. If you want to do one more video that shows the car at low RPM to gauge the lag that would be great.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hi speed
How does it drive at low RPM's? Looked like the video started at 3k, but good video. If you want to do one more video that shows the car at low RPM to gauge the lag that would be great.
Agreed. Maybe 2nd gear with the clutch out and rolling at 1,000rpms.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even though it wont be ready in at least half a year or so... am I alone in checking back to this thread everyday?

Even if I have a rough day at work... I come to see this thread and it puts a smile every time.

Just like bmw dealerships are putting up with blown turbos and hpfp's going out... I bet there will be an Acura bulletin about broken axles and tranny's associated with the turbo soon.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Where Did My Garage Go?!!

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by spiike
Even though it wont be ready in at least half a year or so... am I alone in checking back to this thread everyday?

Even if I have a rough day at work... I come to see this thread and it puts a smile every time.

Just like bmw dealerships are putting up with blown turbos and hpfp's going out... I bet there will be an Acura bulletin about broken axles and tranny's associated with the turbo soon.
Dont worry...your not the only one. I have been checking this at least twice a day now. At least I know I can count on one thread to have new replies by the time I log out and back in to Azine!
Old 06-26-2009, 09:28 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Originally Posted by I hate cars
You're right of course about parts breakage.

What I think changes things with the turbo is that 130lbs of extra torque is actually 100lbs since you're not using some of it to drive the supercharger. It finds it's way to the wheels instead of the blower.

The number one is actual real engine management to keep it out of detonation and AF ratios safe. This alone is why the turbo cars are holding together with 100hp more. It doesn't hurt that charge air temps are likely half of what the supercharged temps are even at twice the boost.
absolutely, a good tune goes along way. i think our quest for reliable engine management has been answered with the FI/C i was referring to all the other parts, rather than engine life.

pass has gone 4k miles so far with the turbo without any reliabilty issues, that in itself is great news, BUT spinning tires wont put alot of strain on the components either. lets face it, once you find a way to put that power to the ground, parts breakage will follow. thats a gaurantee
Old 06-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Team Owner

absolutely, a good tune goes along way. i think our quest for reliable engine management has been answered with the FI/C i was referring to all the other parts, rather than engine life.

pass has gone 4k miles so far with the turbo without any reliabilty issues, that in itself is great news, BUT spinning tires wont put alot of strain on the components either. lets face it, once you find a way to put that power to the ground, parts breakage will follow. thats a gaurantee
As always. You find the weak link....and then the next.....and then the next..... and then the next. Ask me how I know lol.

As big of a fan as I am of making the car hook off the line, it's probably not a good idea on stock parts. The axles look pretty beefy, I'm assuming it's the CV joint that gives up???

The auto internals don't look half bad as far as clutch holding capacity goes. I was pleasantly surprised when I looked through one on the bench. What we need to do is get around the electronics and find a way to ramp up line pressure as the car goes into boost and I'm pretty sure it will live at the 400hp level. It will also be easier on axles and mounts.

A turbo engine with an automatic and high stall convertor is an unbeatable combo.

Pass- You guys ever try powerbraking from a roll so that you have a few psi before you let off the brake? I used to always do that, especially one time against a Viper from a roll, I was doing 60mph and we were going on the third honk. I had the brakes on hard and built about 15psi so when the third honk came I had instant power when I floored it. It obviously has to be done with common sense to avoid cooking the brakes and convertor if auto.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Too much kid stuff in

Originally Posted by spiike

Nope, not alone. My interest in AZine has gone up since I saw the turbo was on its way...and such a thorough implementation.

370 whp at 6 psi surpasses my expectations already. I'm already sold if it doesn't fall completely apart at 420+ whp. Pass, thanks for your hard work and being so thorough. Your research is putting a lot of confidence in TL owners who crave more power. I think I'll be keeping the TL for a while longer.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Too much kid stuff in

...and btw, thanks to 'I hate cars' as well. I'm learning a lot from your posts.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 04_NBP
Nope, not alone. My interest in AZine has gone up since I saw the turbo was on its way...and such a thorough implementation.

370 whp at 6 psi surpasses my expectations already. I'm already sold if it doesn't fall completely apart at 420+ whp. Pass, thanks for your hard work and being so thorough. Your research is putting a lot of confidence in TL owners who crave more power. I think I'll be keeping the TL for a while longer.

I am on the same boat as you are. I was about to sell the TL and buy 2005 evo w/ 25k miles on it for $20k w/ bigger turbo and proper tunning that goes to 500hp. But looking at the evo and the TL, the TL is way more in terms of options and just looks better inside and out side. My goal is to have a car that when I need power it is there and when I need a car just to show, it is there. I think on the showing part, the TL is outstanding, and as soon as the turbo comes out, the TL will brake necks.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by 04_NBP

Originally Posted by tihomirbg
I am on the same boat as you are. I was about to sell the TL and buy 2005 evo w/ 25k miles on it for $20k w/ bigger turbo and proper tunning that goes to 500hp. But looking at the evo and the TL, the TL is way more in terms of options and just looks better inside and out side. My goal is to have a car that when I need power it is there and when I need a car just to show, it is there. I think on the showing part, the TL is outstanding, and as soon as the turbo comes out, the TL will brake necks.
+1 an awesome luxury sedan with a plush interior and major balls!! now thats a TL
Old 06-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
now since the turbo is coming out, we can call thhe TL

TL+Turbo= Turbo Luxury, Acura Turbo Luxury sedan.

it sounds pretty good.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:17 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
i cant wait to have this kit in my 2g. can you guys imagine me in my 1999 acura tl with 05 internals putting down 350+ HP
Old 06-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Your Garage

^
Old 06-27-2009, 03:35 PM
I got the Shifts

Old 06-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Your Garage

Old 06-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Former Whyner

I have been meaning to ask this question for a week or so but WHERE IS THE INTERCOOLER?? Is this kit coming with one?

I will hack the shit outta my bumper to show off an intercooler
Old 06-28-2009, 10:37 AM
I got the Shifts

Originally Posted by DC3328
hows the swap coming?
Old 06-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by RonJonTL757
I have been meaning to ask this question for a week or so but WHERE IS THE INTERCOOLER?? Is this kit coming with one?

I will hack the shit outta my bumper to show off an intercooler

Its behind the bumper and looks like it is also behind the bumper support.. If you really want to show your intercooler off you may have to get the Versus bumper like Acuratein or go crazy hacking your bumper and getting a larger intercooler.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Your Garage

Originally Posted by phee
hows the swap coming?
Ill be makin a thread soon
Old 06-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Former Whyner

Originally Posted by bzyrice

Its behind the bumper and looks like it is also behind the bumper support.. If you really want to show your intercooler off you may have to get the Versus bumper like Acuratein or go crazy hacking your bumper and getting a larger intercooler.
Wow thats what im talking about!!! !Thanks for the pic

My bumper support is definatly going BYE BYE
Old 06-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Got your mom in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
you should see it in person..... shit you should hear it...... dam near the best thing i ever heard or saw besides Thriller of course.
R.I.P MJ

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08