TL Diet 2.0/Track Car Build - Roll Cage Pg 51

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh
well the only thing you wanna make sure is the piping length....

if its a SRI, it moves the power band to the lower rpms....CAI moves the power band to the higher rpm.....

SRI is more affected by engine heat as its sitting right behind the engine fan....CAI is isolated and hence can be "heat proofed"

once you have the filter location....feed some nice cool air to it using a *ding ding ding* dryer hose
This doesn't make much sense. A longer intake tract/runners improve lower rpm power delivery and shorter tract/runners improve upper rpm breathing. Longer runners create turbulence once air flow becomes too high. The exact opposite happens with short runners. Turbulence is created in the low rpms because area is too open and air flow is too slow, basically creating a tumbling effect in intake. Same thing happens with too large of exhaust piping. Once the air flow speeds up, the flow smooths out and volumetric efficiency improves.

Some cars use variable intake manifolds which use short and long intake runners. From idle to around 4500-5000rpms, the longer runners are utilized. At predetermined rpm, an rpm switch activated vacuum solenoid opens a set of butterfly valves in the intake manifold and the short runners are utilized and the long runners sealed off. Some cars use long runners and a resonance chamber in the intact manifold to create the same short runner air flow effect. Nissan did this in some overseas Maxima intake manifolds which I had on my 96 Maxima. The setup took the motor from completely choking at 5800rpms to breathing well 6700rpms with 95% power sustaining to 7400rpms. That's huge. The car improved 1/4 mile times by .3 seconds and 3mph.

Some cars also use valves in the airboxes to regulate airflow in the low and upper rpms. The last generation Celica GTS used this system.

I experimented quite a bit with CAIs, SRIs, and stock intakes with my Maxima and G35 at the strip. I did tons of 1/4 mile passes with same day testing. The results were the CAI was the lowest (.15 seconds and 1.5mph), the SRI (.1 and 1mph), and stock (the fastest). Just because stock looks ugly, doesn't mean it's necessarily restrictive. I don't know why the V6 in your TLs would behave any differently than the VQ30 and VQ35 V6s in my Nissan cars. They're all so close in design.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:31 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave_B
Larger rotors have more swept area which means they'll dissipate heat far easier. Larger rotors are usually thicker too. They might not necessarily brake better on the street (0-70), but they'll have much better bite from higher speeds and will be able to do so with little to no fade.

Large brakes usually require more heat to work efficiently so it's quite possible that larger brakes will brake worse on the street.

Auto-x cars really don't need larger brakes unless the OEM system is poor. A set of pads is usually all you need. Auto-x speeds don't exceed 70mph and the threshold braking isn't lengthly. Road race cars do need capable larger brakes because they're braking for 140mph+ to 50mph often. That's a ton of friction trying to slow a relatively heavy car that weighs 3,000lbs+.

Larger brakes (rotors, calipers) are much heavier and have way rotational inertia with the weight centered around the worst possible place, the hub. However, it's all a trade-off if you're road racing a car. Tires and brakes are key to any car that sees track duty. The last thing you want is your brakes to fail at 120mph coming into a turn.

70+% of your braking power comes from the front; therefore, adding huge rear brakes isn't completely necessary and can REALLY screw up threshold braking.

Adding larger brakes to a street car can really screw up OEM brake proportioning and can result in some really dangerous braking traits. Many racecars use adjustable proportion valves to adjust braking between the front and rear axles. Street cars have a valve too, but it isn't adjustable. Huge brakes can screw up this OEM proportioning.

Cars like the 3rd gen TL come with electronic brake force distribution (BFD). The BFD system uses ABS and stability control to distribute braking power under threshold braking. Larger brakes can totally screw with this system because the system isn't expecting overly powerful front braking power. This can lead to unexpected initial lock-up at either axle and really weird braking behavior.

Significantly improving braking power and overwhelm your tires. You better make sure you've got sticky rubber or else the brakes will case lock-up.

Long story short, you REALLY need to do your research when it comes to upgrading brakes on a street car. WAY too people throw on big brake kits (BBKs) because they think it looks cool and have no idea they can potentially be making their car brake much worse on the street and even on the track. Most buyers are posers and are solely going for the image of "racecar'. They talk about how much better the pedal feels, but they've never put the brakes through the paces to see if it's really the case.

Remember, what applies to a racecar doesn't not necessarily apply to a street car, even one that sees some track duty. Everything is a compromise. Understand what you're doing. I can't stress that enough.
Dave that is an awesome post....

there is soooo much to learn from you buddy....

Originally Posted by brian6speed
If the tubing is for air intake, you could also consider using plastic(lighter and doesn't conduct heat like metal). I was thinking about using this 4" airaid UBI(u build it) kit and using a 4"-3" reducer.

http://www.airaid.com/ComingSoonProd...e-dca9a93bd649
damn son....i wish you would have posted that couple weeks back....

This doesn't make much sense. A longer intake tract/runners improve lower rpm power delivery and shorter tract/runners improve upper rpm breathing. Longer runners create turbulence once air flow becomes too high. The exact opposite happens with short runners. Turbulence is created in the low rpms because area is too open and air flow is too slow, basically creating a tumbling effect in intake. Same thing happens with too large of exhaust piping. Once the air flow speeds up, the flow smooths out and volumetric efficiency improves.

Some cars use variable intake manifolds which use short and long intake runners. From idle to around 4500-5000rpms, the longer runners are utilized. At predetermined rpm, an rpm switch activated vacuum solenoid opens a set of butterfly valves in the intake manifold and the short runners are utilized and the long runners sealed off. Some cars use long runners and a resonance chamber in the intact manifold to create the same short runner air flow effect. Nissan did this in some overseas Maxima intake manifolds which I had on my 96 Maxima. The setup took the motor from completely choking at 5800rpms to breathing well 6700rpms with 95% power sustaining to 7400rpms. That's huge. The car improved 1/4 mile times by .3 seconds and 3mph.

Some cars also use valves in the airboxes to regulate airflow in the low and upper rpms. The last generation Celica GTS used this system.

I experimented quite a bit with CAIs, SRIs, and stock intakes with my Maxima and G35 at the strip. I did tons of 1/4 mile passes with same day testing. The results were the CAI was the lowest (.15 seconds and 1.5mph), the SRI (.1 and 1mph), and stock (the fastest). Just because stock looks ugly, doesn't mean it's necessarily restrictive. I don't know why the V6 in your TLs would behave any differently than the VQ30 and VQ35 V6s in my Nissan cars. They're all so close in design.
Dave i think I wrote that the other way around....

I have seen constantly lower IAT's with the CAI....with my modified SRI setup....Now if you get a simple AEM/KNN SRI then yes the intake temps will be higher than stock....

So far the insulated AEM CAI was best wrt IAT's and my 4" setup is the best wrt power (so far on my car with only butt dyno proof)....and the below video....i get wheelspin when VTEC engages...this is with 60-65% throttle and in 2nd gear....

I am going to try a 4" CAI and hit the dyno....its about time i went there....

Old 11-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Dave i think I wrote that the other way around....

I have seen constantly lower IAT's with the CAI....with my modified SRI setup....Now if you get a simple AEM/KNN SRI then yes the intake temps will be higher than stock....

So far the insulated AEM CAI was best wrt IAT's and my 4" setup is the best wrt power (so far on my car with only butt dyno proof)....and the below video....i get wheelspin when VTEC engages...this is with 60-65% throttle and in 2nd gear....

I am going to try a 4" CAI and hit the dyno....its about time i went there....
I think you'd see lower IATs with the OEM plastic airbox and fresh air being pulled in from the high pressure area (OEM setup). I know I saw lower IATs when I compared my aftermarket intakes vs my OEM setups.

Has anyone done a volumetic efficency test with the OEM airbox? We learned that the OEM airbox on the G35/350Z could flow 30% more air than the NA bolt-on VQ35 could ever hope of ingesting. The intake was obviously not a restriction.

We learned with the Maxima that the OEM airbox flowed about 15% more air and the in-line intake resonator (Helmhotz design) not only reduced intake sound, but actually was responsible for making about 8whp/10wtq in the midrange. Remove the resonator and you LOST power.

It used to be OEM intakes were really restrictive and gains of power on the cheap were really common. Now most intakes, while terribly ugly looking, aren't restrictive at all and actually improve throttle response and deliver better midrange punch. Lots of aftermarket intakes claim gains of 10-15whp/wtq on THEIR dyno. I'd never trust an aftermarket company's dyno. Most of these parts when put on a 3rd party dyno only show minor gains across the upper parts of the powerband and this is with the hood up which benefits the open intake. Also, these paltry "gains" could also easily be attributed to power variances between back to back dyno runs and corrective factors when trying to compare gains between runs completed on different days.

A gain of 5whp from 5500-6500rpms isn't going to do squat in terms of performance. When you do a average powerband calculation, you'll see that the average power gain is almost non-existent. Don't buy into claims of "gains up to XX hp". You want your mods to elevate the entire powerband, especially the midrange as that's where you spend most of the time accelerating. 5whp spread from 5500-6500rpms isn't going to improve anything because the motor zooms through that range very quickly. Even a gain of 5whp across the entire powerband won't make a measurable difference in 1/4 mile ET or MPH. It took my 2,900lb Maxima an average powerband gain of ~35whp/wtq to improve 1/4 mile ET and MPH by 0.3 seconds and 3mph.

Your best course of action is sticking with something that delivers CONSISTENT performance across at all conditions. CAI and SRI can suck in hot air from either the engine bay or a suffocating, hot air trap in the bumper cover. This can lead to power reductions of 10whp-30whp. Not exactly progress. Above 70 degrees or so, every 10 degree increase in temp will amount to around a loss of 5whp. Imagine the power lost when you SRI is seeing 130+ degree temps sitting in the staging line or at a stoplight.

There's damn good reason why automakers design intakes like they do. It's a HP war out there and automakers aren't going to leave HP on the table with some restrictive intake. They want the most power available, and with Helmhotz resonators, it's possible to have a high flowing intake that's quiet and delivers stellar throttle response.

Always consider what you're doing and why a system is designed the way it is before assuming it's restrictive. Super bright engineers and millions of dollars in investment usually results in very efficent intake designs.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Larger rotors have more swept area which means they'll dissipate heat far easier. Larger rotors are usually thicker too. They might not necessarily brake better on the street (0-70), but they'll have much better bite from higher speeds and will be able to do so with little to no fade.
I agree with this part, one stop stopping distances are a function of the tires' traction, not the brakes.
Large brakes usually require more heat to work efficiently so it's quite possible that larger brakes will brake worse on the street.
Not so much. Heat requirements are solely determined by the pad composition, not the size of the brakes. Larger brakes can allow you to use a less aggressive pad than would be required with smaller brakes, resulting in less heat required and better street manners. My Stoptechs have OEM like street manners. No noise, no warm up required, and even better than OEM, no warping or pad deposits.

Larger brakes (rotors, calipers) are much heavier and have way rotational inertia with the weight centered around the worst possible place, the hub. However, it's all a trade-off if you're road racing a car. Tires and brakes are key to any car that sees track duty. The last thing you want is your brakes to fail at 120mph coming into a turn.
This is not always true. I lost 7lbs per corner going from the stock 11.8" brakes with a cast iron caliper to my 13" brakes with 4 pot aluminum caliper. The larger rotors were even slightly lighter than stock. There are some ultra light large racing brakes out there if you have the money for them. With the relatively small diameter of rotors, inertia isn't a huge concern in a 3,500lb car, not as much as tires and rims would be with the larger outer diameter but handling over bumps definitely improves with the unsprung weight reduction.
70+% of your braking power comes from the front; therefore, adding huge rear brakes isn't completely necessary and can REALLY screw up threshold braking.
That's assuming you change the brake bias. A good kit will retain factory bias. My stock size rears fade before the fronts do and it sucks but not as bad as the fronts fading first.
Adding larger brakes to a street car can really screw up OEM brake proportioning and can result in some really dangerous braking traits. Many racecars use adjustable proportion valves to adjust braking between the front and rear axles. Street cars have a valve too, but it isn't adjustable. Huge brakes can screw up this OEM proportioning.

Cars like the 3rd gen TL come with electronic brake force distribution (BFD). The BFD system uses ABS and stability control to distribute braking power under threshold braking. Larger brakes can totally screw with this system because the system isn't expecting overly powerful front braking power. This can lead to unexpected initial lock-up at either axle and really weird braking behavior.
With EBD under normal easy braking, you have an even brake distribution which can be seen with the hotter rear brake temps. It makes the car feel more stable under braking. When I had a Rotora BBK my stopping distances were considerably longer than stock. With the Stoptech kit which not only retains bias but shifts it slightly rearward, stopping distances are actually shortened under threshold braking. A well engineered front BBK won't affect the other systems at all. When I hit ABS with the Rotoras, the car was unpredictable and measured stopping distances were all over the place. With the Stoptech, they're consistent and in the double digits from 60mph.
Significantly improving braking power and overwhelm your tires. You better make sure you've got sticky rubber or else the brakes will case lock-up.
Again, you don't want more braking power, only more fade resistance. As long as brake bias is maintained, there's nothing to worry about. It's as simple as taking the lever arm and piston area into account and making sure brake torque is the same as OEM.
Long story short, you REALLY need to do your research when it comes to upgrading brakes on a street car. WAY too people throw on big brake kits (BBKs) because they think it looks cool and have no idea they can potentially be making their car brake much worse on the street and even on the track. Most buyers are posers and are solely going for the image of "racecar'. They talk about how much better the pedal feels, but they've never put the brakes through the paces to see if it's really the case.

Remember, what applies to a racecar doesn't not necessarily apply to a street car, even one that sees some track duty. Everything is a compromise. Understand what you're doing. I can't stress that enough.
I agree, 99% of the people that get these kits do so for looks. The main point I want to make is a good BBK like Stoptech will have no negative effects on streetability and will only improve braking. Again, the larger brakes allow you to run a less aggressive pad than would be required on a smaller brake, resulting in better street manners.

I thought this CAI, SRI, and OEM crap had been settled already. It's been proven that the OEM intake tract with stock filter can flow more than any bolt-in TL can flow. It is not a restriction and it delivers reasonably cool airflow.

It's been measured and proven that SRIs deliver extremely hot air to the engine. Why anyone would use this setup I have no idea.

If the stock tract is not a restriction, how do you think you're getting more power from a higher flowing intake tract?

Last, anything before the TB, that includes filters, pipes, whatever absolutely can not and will not change the powerband. Exhaust can, intake cannot. If this were true, the car would have crazy torque with the throttle closed and the engine at idle.

I just saw the rest of the posts on this and the brake subject and I need to walk away, there's hours worth of misinformation to clear up. Thankfully Dave cleared a lot of it up already.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 11-04-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:32 PM
AZ Track Whore

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts
Teaser - TL trunk hinges weigh about 8lbs with the springs....
Old 11-04-2012, 05:44 PM
The Track Terror

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by vill0169
Teaser - TL trunk hinges weigh about 8lbs with the springs....
You gonna weld that sucker shut Villo???
Old 11-04-2012, 06:26 PM

Dave/IHC,
I wish someone would dyno the stock airbox and then swap over to a CAI and dyno the same day with the CAI....Great post on the brakes from both of you....really informative....

Villo,
Pix or BS
Old 11-04-2012, 07:18 PM
:what:

Received 349 Likes on 249 Posts
I'm betting that deck lid is very heavy itself....
Old 11-04-2012, 07:29 PM
AZ Track Whore

Yeah it ain't light that's for sure. I'll weigh it later
Old 11-04-2012, 07:35 PM

the heaviest thing in your trunk i think is the licence plate holder....remove it and even on shitty trunk springs closing the trunk is a "chore"....

the trunk itself is not too heavy considering its size
Old 11-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
First I'd like to say I'm not an engineer. However I did have a mechanic tell me the following. Yes the stock intake does flow a lot of air. The volume of air isn't always the problem. The stock intake creates a lot of turbulence. If you smooth this out you gain power. In some cases a larger intake alone will give gains. Our cars are great examples of that.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
^^^ do you Auto guys downshift yourself when tracking or just leave it @ 'D' and forget about it LOL
Absolutely downshift. Besides the wait time for it to downshift when exiting, it will upset the car when it shifts, especially when the rear gets a little loose and it decides to up shift which makes the rear even looser.
Good question, any auto guys that track/diet switch to brembos or even RL brakes? I can see multiple benefits in switching over.
Upgrading was a must with the 5at brakes. I'm at full weight, probably a little over stock weight. The first time I attempted to track it I nearly lost the brakes completely on the first lap. I've done the Rotora 13" kit but they significantly increased stopping distances. I have the Stoptech 13" kit now which is a great value, around $1,300 I believe. It has the really stiff caliper, 1pc 13" rotors, braided lines, and most importantly, brake bias is retained. On warm NT05s, I managed double digit stopping distances from 60mph, literally over 20 feet shorter than the Rotoras in one stop stopping distance. Brake fade is significantly improved over the Rotora kit as well even though I'm running a street pad. The Rotoras are pure junk, for looks but they are not designed (apparently) for track use even with the track pads I had in them for a while (I cracked a rotor badly).

Originally Posted by the fenda rolla

And Rex, I was thinking about upgrading my brakes even more, but there isn't a quick/inexpensive set-up yet that would really outperform what I got already...
Take a look at the Stoptech 13" kit, the 1pc kit. It's relatively cheap and it's a very well engineered piece that performs extremely well. Brake bias remains the same, no noise, way less fade than the Rotora 13" kit, and a very stiff caliper that helps with pedal feel. I can't say enough about this kit. They're 1pc but for a primarily street car I would only run 1pc. The advantages are absolutely not worth the price of a 2pc (opinion of course). This is an awesome bang for the buck and one of the benefits is you can run a less aggressive pad since they will be running cooler. I don't know how they do it but I've shot temps after a normal drive home and the caliper temps are literally just a few degrees above ambient. This is on a full weight TL. If you're the 1,000lbs lighter guy, this kit, with a somewhat street friendly pad is probably all you will ever need.

well size is a small factor when talking about brake fade....its the type of rotor/pads/fluid/brake lines which cause fade....you can get a similar brake fade in the 6MT brembo setup....
Any brake setup can fade. Rotor size and pad material are the single most important factors in reducing brake fade. The larger rotors run much cooler and reduce the need for aggressive non street friendly pads. The Brembos are less likely due to better heat dissipation from the larger rotors and the aftermarket 13" kits are even less likely due to the larger rotors and better internal vanes. There are two types of fade, pad fade and fluid boiling. Pad fade usually gives some warning and it usually doesn't take too long before you have some braking back. Fluid gives very little warning, the pedal hits the floor and you can be totally without brakes for a while. For pad fade, rotor/pad temp and pad composition are the main factors. For fluid, fluid type is obviously the big factor. Some other factors are moisture in the fluid (a pretty significant factor). Caliper design, how good of a path does heat have to transfer from the rotor and pads to the pistons and into the fluid. Driving style. Everytime you hit the brake pedal you're transferring more heat into the fluid. Even if the car is stopped but the brakes are hot and the fluid is on the verge of boiling, you can hit the brakes and boil the fluid. Titanium spacers are sometimes used between the pistons and pads to help stop the heat transfer. In the really high end brakes, the pistons are titanium.
now unless they were thinking of upgrading to a different setup completely (AP Racing/Project mu/etc) then it will help with brake fade but if they get the same pads/rotors in a bigger size, they will be carrying down more weight and experiencing fade as well....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fade
The larger rotors will absolutely help tremendously with brake fade all by themselves. The additional weight of the larger rotors (if there is any) is of no concern, it's a huge net gain in braking performance.

Rex/Peter am going to be thinking out loud here....

was having a discussion with Justin on gtalk on how to reduce brake fade....

he was telling about bigger rotors but here is my take on it...

bigger rotors hence bigger pads = more surface area = more friction = more heat....granted it will slow you down quicker but i think it will fade more....on the flip side, bigger rotors = more internal vanes = more heat dissipation...
More swept area (the bigger pads and rotor surface) does not equal more friction and/or heat. Overall friction remains identical not matter how much or how little swept area you have. You have a set amount of psi the pistons can apply on the pads and rotor. Throw a larger pad with more surface area on there and you end up with less pounds per square inch on the pad but since the piston's pressure is spread out over a larger surface area you end up with the same friction. Less lbs per square inch but overall the same pressure. You have a larger rotor which means the brake pads have more leverage on it but that larger rotor is moving faster at the same rpm. So you have more rotor moving past the pads at the same rpm but the pads don't need to squeeze as hard since the rotor is larger in diameter and they have more leverage. What you end up is a wash. No more or no less heat being produced but the large rotor sheds heat much quicker, running cooler. Note that more mass will resist heating up as quick. The main benefit of larger pads is only less pad wear. Secondary is slightly lower pad temps (very slightly).
with your cars being around 1000 lbs lighter than stock which is a 25-30% decrease in weight you dont want bigger rotors to slow you down....also bigger rotors = more rolling mass....
Not always. You can have larger rotors that weigh less. This is where good engineering comes in. In fact, my 13" rotors are very close to the same but slightly lighter than the stock 5at 11.8" rotors and they're 1pc. You can throw a 15" 2pc rotor and not increase weight over stock. While rotating mass is important, the relatively small diameter of the rotors is not as important as say tires and wheels but again, you're probably going to lose weight from aftermarket BBKs. Factor in the aluminum 4 pot caliper over the 5at's 1 piston cast iron caliper and I shaved off 7lbs per corner of unsprung weight. I wasn't thinking about this at the time but several miles of driving after the BBK install, the car had a much more stable, solid feel over bumps when cornering. I was wondering how the heck the cornering over bumps was improved by a brake upgrade and then it dawned on me, it was the significant weight savings.
with the AT calipers the biggest problem is design....i think the "closed" design traps in the heat and doesnt let the heat dissipate very well....
Actually, you can see the back of the pads in the 1pc 5at calipers, the pads are less enclosed on one side and about the same on the other side over 4 piston calipers. The design problem is from having one piston on one side. Even though the piston pushes on one side which pulls the other side toward the rotor, it's never even and you get more wear on the inboard pad over the outboard pad. If it's wearing more on one side, you can bet it's hotter on one side rather than splitting the heat evenly. The 4 piston gives a more even application per pad. That's why you have two different sized pistons on each side, so there's no taper wear. You end up with better pedal feel, more even wear, more even heating, and an all around better system with the 4 pot calipers. More than 4 pistons is for show unless you have large enough brake pads to require more pistons for even application.
instead of getting a BBK, what if you get calipers which will fit the OEM sized AT rotors and get pads for those calipers....something in the lines of this:
Different rotors of the same size do practically nothing. They might be higher quality, meaning less chance or warpage or cracking but for performance you're not reducing heat so you get nada. Different calipers will do nothing for brake fade because you're not reducing heat.

will this help resolve the brake fade?

again am just thinking out loud and if am wrong please correct me....
^^^

the rear kit is a 12.2" kit and its 1200 coz it comes with 2 piece rotors
12.2" would be nice on the rear assuming bias is kept in check but only after significantly upgrading the fronts. You don't ever want to mix and match brake parts and brands unless you do the math (lever arm and piston area) to assure bias will be ok.

well the only thing you wanna make sure is the piping length....

if its a SRI, it moves the power band to the lower rpms....CAI moves the power band to the higher rpm.....

SRI is more affected by engine heat as its sitting right behind the engine fan....CAI is isolated and hence can be "heat proofed"

once you have the filter location....feed some nice cool air to it using a *ding ding ding* dryer hose

I've measured vacuum in the stock intake tract and there's nothing. The stock intake tract is not a restriction with a stock filter and 30,000 miles on it. If it's not a restriction, there are zero gains to be made. Think of the millions of dollars in the engine design such as cam profile, head design, vtec, dual runner intake manifold, premium fuel requirement due to the 11:1 compression. Honda is not going to leave a single hp on the table due to a restrictive inlet tract.

Exhaust tuning can move the powerband around slightly. Anything in the intake tract before the throttle body absolutely can not change the powerband or part throttle power, especially not pipe length. There is no "tuning" before the throttlebody. After the throttlebody the air goes into a plenum which is designed to be big enough that each runner gets an equal share of air without interference from the other. The real tuning starts at the intake manifold runners.

Remember, the throttlebody is a butterfly valve that sits in the air stream and it's only purpose in life is the restrict airflow. It's mostly closed most of the time. At 3/4 throttle it's 3/4 of the way open and it's a MUCH larger restriction than anything before it like a filter or a pipe. Only at or near full throttle will intake flow mods begin increasing hp, when the throttle is fully open and no longer a restriction and when airflow is the greatest. This is why it's absolutely impossible for intake tract mods to affect the powerband and to do much of anything below full throttle.

The most important aspect of an air intake system is to get the coldest air possible into the engine. Colder air will make more power at any throttle opening and rpm and the gains are linear. The measured stock inlet temps are pretty low, far below the underhood temps. Under no conditions will a SRI make more power than a CAI or stock unless the CAI is restrictive which is not going to happen short of a turbo. In this thread, the owner experienced 10-15 degree rise in IAT over ambient with a CAI. With the SRI it was 45 to 50, peaking at 60 degrees. You know the difference in the way your car feels on a 40 degree day vs a 90 degree day, it's huge. https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/experiments-air-intake-temperatures-868353/

All you need in a CAI is the air inlet outside of the engine bay and a 3-3.5" pipe. It doesn't matter where. It can be behind the bumper, the wheel-well, behind the grill, or on top of the roof. It's all going to be the same hp wise. The shortest amount of piping would be the best though. Pick whatever fits the best or easiest. If possible keep the filter in the engine bay enclosed, it's less susceptible to damage and you can design the pre-filter inlet tract with dust and water traps, greatly extending filter life and cleanings and nearly eliminating the chance of hydrolocking. Wrapping isn't really necessary, the air flows much too fast to pick up any real heat through it.

Last edited by I hate cars; 11-05-2012 at 12:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by I hate cars:
Acura TL Builder (09-06-2022), swoosh (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

I hate cars - I pretty much agree with everything you said about the brakes. You've obviously done your homework and know how to put together a quality setup. My post was geared more towards those guys that blindly buy parts and don't do the appropiate research and don't really understand what they're doing. It's the whole, bigger is better thing, whether it's overly large brake setups or 4" intakes.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:54 AM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
IHC is like an encyclopedia of knowledge. I feel wiser having just read these posts.

Just popped in here to say I did my first autocross yesterday and had a great time. Willow is definitely more exciting (faster!) and you get a lot more track time. 2 hours of track time at Willow versus like 10 mins of track time at autocross. So yea...it was still fun though.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:02 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Oh this guy smacked a pole with his RSX. It happened around noon and they decided to change the course design. I guess it pays to run later in the day as I got to run on the "fixed" course.

Name:  16008107_large.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  131.7 KB

Hard to see in the pic but the entire rear end of the car is shifted over. The panels on the opposite side are bent out slightly. I talked to him for a bit and he was still quite jovial having just totaled his car lol. Real nice guy.

Last edited by AnthraciteAspec; 11-05-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:05 PM
AZ Track Whore

^ Ouch. yeah autox sucks. just note my hood lol
Old 11-05-2012, 12:13 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

^^^ do you Auto guys downshift yourself when tracking or just leave it @ 'D' and forget about it LOL
You have to use sport shift mode. I actually drive the car in sport shift mode 90% of the time when daily driving. The car will upshift way too soon if you leave it in D. I actually started an autocross run in D on accident and it cost me a few seconds as the car had already shifted me up to 4th when I needed to be in 2nd still.

Good question, any auto guys that track/diet switch to brembos or even RL brakes? I can see multiple benefits in switching over.
I switched to Brembos but never tracked with the old auto calipers. I have to assume after reading all of IHC posts that my Brembos are definitely helping on the track. I am sure the stock auto brakes would have faded fast on Big Willow.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:47 PM

This thread needs to be STICKIED !!!

so much info in here...

EDIT: Villio I use the SS mode, 100% of the time unless the wifey wants to hold my hand
Old 11-05-2012, 04:26 PM
AZ Track Whore

This thread needs to be STICKIED !!!

so much info in here...

EDIT: Villio I use the SS mode, 100% of the time unless the wifey wants to hold my hand
that'd be sweet!

I hope we've settled the intake and brake discussion for now....

I started planning and working on my new front splitter setup this past weekend, not much to show just yet but if I can't stand on the splitter with little to no flex than I'm starting over lol

for instance -

Name:  228163_479065258791303_1622087064_n.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  213.2 KB

Last edited by vill0169; 11-05-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:12 PM

can you make 2 at the same time? it will be easier
Old 11-05-2012, 06:40 PM
AZ Track Whore

Haha your funny. pretty soon you'll be saying move to Kansas city or something!!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:39 PM

^^^ you read my mind Rex
Old 11-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Hey, what's wrong with moving to Kansas City????
Old 11-05-2012, 08:09 PM
AZ Track Whore

Haha nothing, just my awesome job is here haha. I think Heartland Park Topeka would be a good place to hold a AZ TL track day next year. It's a great track and pretty centrally located to many of us track go'ers...
Old 11-06-2012, 08:08 AM
AZ Track Whore

Forget to mention I ordered up some solid shifter base bushings over the weekend and am going to try and "raise" the shifter up a bit with a small spacer at the same time. Hopefully adds a little bit more of a solid feel and brings the shift knob up a bit. should have them sometime this week.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
To move the shift knob up I just bought a shift lever extender from circuit hero.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:22 AM
AZ Track Whore

I actually made my own last year that actually brought it up and closer to the driver but it just made the shift throw so much longer I didn't like it. trying a different approach this time.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:54 PM
AZ Track Whore

got the bushings in today and got them installed with a small spacer (about 7/8" tall for now). Shifter is noticeably stiffer and a bit higher as well. I'll get some pics up soon but I'm liking it so far.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:22 PM
AZ Track Whore

Most of the new hardware
Name:  1108121612.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  166.7 KB

The bolts I got were a little long so I'll have to buy a tad shorter ones over the weekend but here it is all buttoned down.
Name:  1108121711.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  45.5 KB

You can see the increased height here, could probably go a bit higher but I don't want to over stress the shift cables too much
Name:  1108121711a.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  65.6 KB

And I thought it'd be funny and fitting to run these on the car being it's kinda the skunkworks of the TL lol
Name:  1103121843a.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  56.9 KB
Old 11-10-2012, 12:04 PM
AZ Track Whore

Found some vids of the THR TL from back in the day...hope you enjoy

The following 2 users liked this post by vill0169:
Acura TL Builder (09-06-2022), pohljm (11-10-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 04:54 PM
The Track Terror

Those guys are effin' crazy...he almost totally nailed that civic that was coming back on the track in the last vid...and his tires were squealin' worse than a stuck pig in the first vid!
Old 11-10-2012, 05:01 PM
AZ Track Whore

Pretty sure the first vid is before they could use slicks....cuz slicks just don't squeal like that at all really
Old 11-10-2012, 05:14 PM
The Track Terror

Yea, I was thinkin' the same thing...cuz my RS-3's don't even squeal that bad...
Old 11-11-2012, 05:21 PM

damn those videos are awesome....

Rex/Peter....you got some more pix of the THR TL? specs on it?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:57 PM
AZ Track Whore

There's a bunch of pics in one of Eric's threads. what you wanna know about it?
Old 11-11-2012, 06:01 PM

well basically the engine mods, exhaust (), weight, etc etc
Old 11-11-2012, 06:13 PM
AZ Track Whore

Exhaust was comptech. engine mods weren't that extreme really, I think intake and exhaust was mostly it. ecu was remapped by the manufacturer and it had some sort of lightweight clutch/flywheel on it too.

weight was somewhere in the 2800lb range.
The following users liked this post:
swoosh (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 06:13 PM

the downshifts were just
Old 11-12-2012, 10:32 AM
AZ Track Whore

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=THR+TL

Here's some more pics for ya swoosh
Old 11-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
Forget to mention I ordered up some solid shifter base bushings over the weekend and am going to try and "raise" the shifter up a bit with a small spacer at the same time. Hopefully adds a little bit more of a solid feel and brings the shift knob up a bit. should have them sometime this week.

where they the corsport ones? I am trying to make my own but wasnt sure if I should go aluminum/metal or rubber/poly .... I am on a macguyeverd setup now with rubber just because i needed to raise ths base... but need to figure out something permanent this weekend.. thoughts?

Quick Reply: TL Diet 2.0/Track Car Build - Roll Cage Pg 51