TL Diet 2.0/Track Car Build - Roll Cage Pg 51

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:56 PM
AZ Track Whore

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts
TL Diet 2.0/Track Car Build - Roll Cage Pg 51

Hello All,

After reading the wonderful work of Inaccurate's Diet Thread I thought I would make a thread for those considering the "next step" in weight loss on their TL. I could never match his level of thread construction but I at least wanted to pass the information on to you all.

I started with a 2004 6MT NAVI with a stock curb weight of about 3490lbs. I then followed pretty much everything in the TL diet thread including sunroof plug and racing seats. The only thing I still haven't done is the front door panels and plastic windshield cowl as part of the Ultimate Cooling Mod, so there's probably another 20 or so pounds that will be off soon. However, My racing seats weighed in at only 12lbs each so I saved about 20-25lbs over Inaccurate's setup right there.

What makes this Diet the 2.0 Version?

Well because I don't drive my TL everyday and it's basically a full time track car, I had no reason to save anything from the Heating/Cooling system. So I completely removed the entire AC system and all the ducting/climate control components from under the dash. This was NO easy task and I pretty much shredded most of the ducting but it's amazing how much crap is concealed under the dash. I wasn't too concerned with weighing every single thing I removed but there were plenty of hefty items associated with this. Most notably were the fan motor, heater core, AC evap, duct door motors, and Heater sub-assembly. See Pic Below, pretty much everything seen here is now gone. It's amazing how nice and clean/open the area under the dash is now!

Name:  14sep4_b1720.gif
Views: 2227
Size:  39.4 KB

The Air Conditioning Delete was pretty straight forward and there is another thread on it on AZ but it was worth at least 30lbs from in front of the front axle. This belt diagram is so far working well for me and the best belt size I've found is a 69.5".

Name:  BeltDiagramNoAC.jpg
Views: 2321
Size:  56.4 KB

Even though not completed yet, The next item on my diet radar is replacing the glass on the rear doors and window. This will definitely be worth some considerable weight so look forward to this in the coming month or so. Also coming up will be a new quick release steering wheel setup that will hopefully net a weight loss and some more exhaust work.

The Best Part In My Mind:

The best part I think is that I actually have real world weights to give you all. I had the car weighed Tuesday morning and was pleasantly surprised to see that my TL weighed in at 2880lbs. I was quite surprised by this so I drove across town and had the weight confirmed on another scale and it was the exact same 2880 lbs. Most exciting to me is that I had a half a tank of gas (worth about 50lbs right there) and I wasn't on my "track" wheel and tire setup which is worth another 40lbs for them alone. Count in the 20lbs of interior still the car and that makes my TL weigh between 2770 and 2820 depending on fuel load being the TL gets about 8 mpg on the track, you need a fair amount in the tank to make for a decent length session.

Not sure what to factor for the Lexan weight loss but I think my realistic goal is about 2700lbs being that there's still a bunch of sound deadening crap that can go too and I still want to lighten up my exhaust some more as well.

Here is a great place for TL stats in case any one was interested.

http://www.new-cars.com/2004/acura/acura-tl-specs.html

I will have pics up asap of the progress. I'm stuck on base now but will have them up as soon as I'm home.

Popular Reply

01-21-2011, 09:48 PM
vill0169
AZ Track Whore

Originally Posted by cjTL
I applaud the work and effort put into the process of dieting a TL. But with all due respect, something about stripping a 4-door, FWD, V6 luxury sedan doesn't sit right. Seems like the wrong car choice to me if the sole purpose of it is to be a full-time track car. There are much better handling and performance mods you can bolt-on that provide a bigger advantage than tearing your AC system and rear windows out.
Right because I'm obviously doing this to a completely stock car and have no idea about these handling and performance mods you speak of.....

Not trying to be rude but we've been though this over and over again and I would appreciate it if you kept these sorta comments to yourself. You have no idea how rewarding it is to see the look on people's faces with this "4 door, FWD, V6 Luxury sedan is hunting them down on a track. Is there anything wrong with the usual M3's, Evo/STI'S, vette's, etc? No! But God its boring doing the same thing everyone else has already mastered. So why the hell not do this? At least that's my firm belief on this.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:59 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
you said you drove it across town, how did it feel?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
tossable?
Acceleration?
Old 01-21-2011, 02:03 PM
AZ Track Whore

Acceleration is obviously much improved - but most improved is the feel of the car. I can already tell that the turn in is very different then when she was full weight, steering has a better feel, braking is flatter and less abusive and well. Hard to really describe but overall it's fantastic!
Old 01-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats! I can't wait until I get home and see the pics...at work now.

Where are you from? How many track events are you planning on this year? Are you going to trailer the car to the events or will you be driving it?
Old 01-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
how come you decided to do this to a TL, a 4 door luxury car and make it into a track car? Why not go with something lighter to begin with? And more track oriented? That's pretty impressive how much weight you took out of the car. I bet it flies now
Old 01-21-2011, 02:20 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
This is pretty hardcore.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:37 PM
AZ Track Whore

Originally Posted by myron
how come you decided to do this to a TL, a 4 door luxury car and make it into a track car? Why not go with something lighter to begin with? And more track oriented? That's pretty impressive how much weight you took out of the car. I bet it flies now

Let me say this politely: What of the following cars did NOT start as a "luxury" car? These are just a few of the cars I would consider the most converted race cars in the world,

BMW
Mercedes Benz
Audi
Porsche
Caddy

Hell even,
Aston Martin
Maserati

The simple truth is that it's great on the track. The power is well suited for the chassis and the LSD is worth it's weight in gold. The only thing that sets the car back is that it's FWD but I just cater my driving style to that and It's fantastic.

How's that for an explanation?

PS - A stock weight of 3500lbs is pretty good IMO, I'm pretty sure even the new G37 coupe/sedans are BOTH 3800+. And besides, as we can see, stock curb weight means nothing!

Last edited by vill0169; 01-21-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:39 PM
AZ Track Whore

Originally Posted by apnorm
Congrats! I can't wait until I get home and see the pics...at work now.

Where are you from? How many track events are you planning on this year? Are you going to trailer the car to the events or will you be driving it?

Well I just moved to Florida in the fall for the AF. I am hoping to do at least an event a month and will be trailering it to the events being the closest tracks are no less than 4 hours away.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^ Was hoping you were in the NJ/NY area. Would be nice find someone near the New England area and meet up at a track event.

Anyways, can't wait to see how your car does at the track. Good luck!
Old 01-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by vill0169
Let me say this politely: What of the following cars did NOT start as a "luxury" car? These are just a few of the cars I would consider the most converted race cars in the world,

BMW
Mercedes Benz
Audi
Porsche
Caddy

Hell even,
Aston Martin
Maserati

The simple truth is that it's great on the track. The power is well suited for the chassis and the LSD is worth it's weight in gold. The only thing that sets the car back is that it's FWD but I just cater my driving style to that and It's fantastic.

How's that for an explanation?

PS - A stock weight of 3500lbs is pretty good IMO, I'm pretty sure even the new G37 coupe/sedans are BOTH 3800+. And besides, as we can see, stock curb weight means nothing!
It was just a question, I didn't mean anything by it, and it seems like you got a little offended there.
I am not judging you or anything, I just wanted to know why did you choose this car to do this.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Mom why is there two?

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm down for trackin Apnorm nows that. Just ordered a set of nt01'S. CANT WAIT FOR THOSE.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ethenol
I'm down for trackin Apnorm nows that. Just ordered a set of nt01'S. CANT WAIT FOR THOSE.
lol...you mentioned it before and I actually looked up some tracks in OH and PA to see if we could meet in the middle! Would be a long ass drive for the both of us.

Let me know how you like the NT01's. I'm looking to pick some up after I use up the NT05's.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:37 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
I applaud the work and effort put into the process of dieting a TL. But with all due respect, something about stripping a 4-door, FWD, V6 luxury sedan doesn't sit right. Seems like the wrong car choice to me if the sole purpose of it is to be a full-time track car. There are much better handling and performance mods you can bolt-on that provide a bigger advantage than tearing your AC system and rear windows out.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:48 PM
AZ Track Whore

Right because I'm obviously doing this to a completely stock car and have no idea about these handling and performance mods you speak of.....

Not trying to be rude but we've been though this over and over again and I would appreciate it if you kept these sorta comments to yourself. You have no idea how rewarding it is to see the look on people's faces with this "4 door, FWD, V6 Luxury sedan is hunting them down on a track. Is there anything wrong with the usual M3's, Evo/STI'S, vette's, etc? No! But God its boring doing the same thing everyone else has already mastered. So why the hell not do this? At least that's my firm belief on this.
The following 10 users liked this post by vill0169:
1black_seven (09-29-2012), civicdrivr (01-15-2012), d1sturb3d119 (12-19-2014), diddy26 (06-05-2012), Healingduck (09-30-2012), losiglow (04-21-2014), mucter (05-08-2013), Racerx2 (05-18-2020), S.Blazes (04-30-2020), TLCthc420 (11-14-2013) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-21-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts

Look, you posted this thread, people are going to express their opinions. I mean no disrespect to you by what I said. Like I said, I applaud the effort and work you've put into your TL. Glad that it brings you joy.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Totally agree. I love being the "underdog" at track events. A lot of people come up to me after a run group session asking me about the car. Is it the ideal track car? No. And that makes it that much more special.

I've thought about getting a used M3 or even the new Mustangs but I'm having too much fun with the TL. The way I see it is that I (and 99% of the drivers out there) haven't even begun to drive their cars even close to the car's potential and until I come close to doing that, I don't need an M3 or any other typical track car.

It also doesn't make sense financially (at least for me) to sell my car for 13k(?) and pick up a used M3 for 20k+ and then make it into a track car. I'm confident that the TL can take the abuse and will be pretty reliable going forward. I don't have that same warm feeling with a used M3.

Anyways, enough of my "rant". How about some pics of the interior!
Old 01-22-2011, 01:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
First and foremost, I am proud to see the day arrive in which someone fully commented to a full blown "TL Diet". There are a few Acurazine members that have been performing partial diets, but nothing hardcore. After exactly four years since I created my TL Diet thread, this TL Diet II sequel is a fantastic 4-yr anniversary gift.

After reading the work of Inaccurate's Diet Thread....
Here is the link for any newbies.

Putting the TL on a diet (click here)

including sunroof plug and racing seats. My racing seats weighed in at only 12lbs each so I saved about 20-25lbs over Inaccurate's setup right there.
How did you make your sunroof plug? I am just curious to compare notes.

Your seats are only 12lbs each? My OMP seats are 20.5 lbs each. What brand and model are your seats? Are the seats FIA-Homologated?

What seat bracket was used and how much the brackets weigh?

Nice job on finding lighter seats than mine.

The Air Conditioning Delete was pretty straight forward and there is another thread on it on AZ.
Here is the links for other readers -

AC Delete (click here)
AC Removal is Possible (click here)

The next item on my diet radar is replacing the glass on the rear doors and window. This will definitely be worth some considerable weight.......... Not sure what to factor for the Lexan weight loss.
From my rough estimates that I have conducted in anticipation of doing this mod, the weight reduction should be approx 39 lbs (for the two rear-door windows and main rear window).

Estimated Reduction for rear door windows
------------------------------------
Each rear door glass = 8.0 x 2 = -16.0
Each Regulator = 5.0 x 2 = -10.0

Add Lexan = +4.0
Add brace = +1.0
--------------------
ESTIMATED TOTAL = 21 lbs

Estimated Reduction For Rear Window
------------------------------------
Rear Window = -24 lbs

Add Lexan (using 1/8 thickness Lexan) = +5.7 lbs
--------------------
ESTIMATED TOTAL = 18 LBS

Also coming up will be some more exhaust work.
Great. Are you thinking about a single outlet? I look forward to seeing the weight reduction on this. In the coming years, I would like to do a single outlet for the weight savings.

The best part I think is that I actually have real world weights to give you all.
Thank you sir

I will have pics up asap of the progress. I'm stuck on base now but will have them up as soon as I'm home.
I am anxious to see the pics . When will you be home?

And in closing, remember that you can't have your own Diet thread unless you have loss at least 10-lbs of body weight as a sacrifice to the performance gods!
Old 01-22-2011, 02:37 AM
AZ Track Whore

Haha Inaccurate you have to be the best thread constructor on AZ! Just to make this quick cuz I'm on my phone, I am planning on doing a single exit exhaust in the near future, I planned ahead and had a flange put in on my catback and its amazing how much just the rear section weighs with two Magnaflows and tips.

My seat selection was pretty limited because I have a pretty large frame compared to most track drivers! Due to my budget I opted out of the sparco evo2 and went with the legit, non knockoff NRG Fiberglass seats and am very pleased with them. Sorry but I'm not sure about the FIA Homolated question, I'll get back to you on that one.

And yes, some personal weight loss is always in the plan too!

I followed your thread on the sunroof plug but I also ran rivets on three sides for extra support and am very happy with it!

Thanks for the lexan numbers! Definitely sounds doable to me!

Thanks again Inaccurate for all your motivation on the much misunderstood TL Diet!

Pics in the morning!
Old 01-22-2011, 03:20 AM
Safety Car

Did you get the carbon fiber seats? Only the carbon fiber NRG seats are 12 lbs. All other NRG seats are approx 25 lbs.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:37 AM
Safety Car

I followed your thread on the sunroof plug
Did you make the plug with sheets of carbon fiber fabric and use the oem sunroof glass as a mold?
Old 01-22-2011, 03:44 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much does your car weigh now?
Old 01-22-2011, 07:28 AM
AZ Track Whore

I
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
[IMG

Did you get the carbon fiber seats? Only the carbon fiber NRG seats are 12 lbs. All other NRG seats are approx 25 lbs.

I checked the box, I have the RSC-300's so 12 lbs each.

Last edited by vill0169; 01-22-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:30 AM
AZ Track Whore

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Did you make the plug with sheets of carbon fiber fabric and use the oem sunroof glass as a mold?
Yes sir! Came out a lil on the small side in the corners but I made her work!
Old 01-22-2011, 07:33 AM
AZ Track Whore

Originally Posted by jasonleary
How much does your car weigh now?
Well its in the thread but I know have the door panels off and burned some fuel so probably in the 2850 lbs range.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:57 AM
Mom why is there two?

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What about that front splitter and wing still runnin that?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:31 AM
AZ Track Whore

Originally Posted by ethenol
What about that front splitter and wing still runnin that?
Well gonna get the splitter closer to the ground but yeah. Not sure how she will feel with all the weight loss but it could really be needing some dynamic downforce on the track.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:12 AM
AZ Track Whore

Here are some pics, didn't know the wife took our laptop to Atlanta for work so phone pics will have to do until tomorrow.

Here's the now empty dash area
Name:  IMG_20110122_082305.jpg
Views: 1987
Size:  99.7 KB

Another shot
Name:  IMG_20110122_082246.jpg
Views: 1998
Size:  89.7 KB

Front shot
Name:  IMG_20110122_082317.jpg
Views: 2239
Size:  78.8 KB

Rear shot
Name:  IMG_20110122_082346.jpg
Views: 1965
Size:  59.8 KB

Here's some shots of the sound deadening I've already removed
Name:  IMG_20110122_082426.jpg
Views: 1971
Size:  99.0 KB

One more
Name:  IMG_20110122_082439.jpg
Views: 1911
Size:  79.7 KB

And the inspiration for it all!
Name:  images.jpg
Views: 2646
Size:  7.5 KB
Old 01-22-2011, 09:23 AM

put a roll cage in and a supercharger and you'll be erics twin
Old 01-22-2011, 09:26 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's is hardcore. Looks good
Old 01-22-2011, 09:28 AM
AZ Track Whore

Originally Posted by justnspace
put a roll cage in and a supercharger and you'll be erics twin
Supercharger, no too heavy! Like 90 lbs right? Roll cage, yes but a weld in one!
Old 01-22-2011, 09:30 AM

Supercharger, no too heavy! Like 90 lbs right? Roll cage, yes but a weld in one!
but doesnt the power output "outweigh" the weight difference???
or is it the other way around?
Old 01-22-2011, 09:32 AM

sorry to hijack

is his welded in?
Edit...no his isnt, its just bolted.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:37 AM
AZ Track Whore

but doesnt the power output "outweigh" the weight difference???
or is it the other way around?
To me no. I think at stock weight, sure, the HP and trq would help pull the heavyweight around. But traction in the corners would be lots harder to control and optimize at my weight without running a much better tire. Which would only last about two track days and that isn't what I'm after right now.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:40 AM
AZ Track Whore

sorry to hijack

[IMG]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5046/5353552553_a21446ec02_b.jpg[/I

is his welded in?
Edit...no his isnt, its just bolted.
He still has plenty on interior though and sunroof glass. It is beautiful though!
Old 01-22-2011, 09:43 AM

He still has plenty on interior though and sunroof glass. It is beautiful though!

Inacc, asked about your sunroof plug, I would like to see it as well
Old 01-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
nice work, I have recaro buckets i still need to install that weigh 9.9 lbs each. For mine I am going to use a harness bar that connects to the b pillars and connect my harnesses to that.

I was thinking about taking out the ac, but not sure I am willing to give that up yet. I plan on deleting cruise control and some other things not needed tho. I only want to get down to 3000-3200 lb tho, no lexan for me.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
damn stripped it down ... props to u for doing somethin diff, although personally i would never do it
Old 01-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
why keep the radio there? unless maybe you kept the center speaker and tweeters?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
^ x2, and have you considered a different steering wheel? Would love to see some exterior pics as well.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 PM
AZ Track Whore

Originally Posted by Aman
^ x2, and have you considered a different steering wheel? Would love to see some exterior pics as well.
Yes I'm looking at ordering a suede wheel with quick release here real soon.

I kept the radio cuz I wanted to keep the nav work to display info on the screen but we'll see, I might pull it out.

I'll get some exterior pics up too

Quick Reply: TL Diet 2.0/Track Car Build - Roll Cage Pg 51