M-010: Putting the TL on a diet (Update Links in Post #1)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh God !!!! if you make the TL look like that... you should be SHOT !
Old 08-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Middle Finger anyone?

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by kidrocking79
Oh God !!!! if you make the TL look like that... you should be SHOT !
Compared to what? It's already stripped to bare frame. You saying he should be shot for stripping his car or if he did that dash? Is that just the last straw for you?
The following users liked this post:
jrleclerc88 (04-27-2013)
Old 08-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just trying to be funny... if someone wants to strip their TL to bare frame and put in a dash that looks like that so be it... I just think you're taking a great looking car and going wayyyy overboard for the sake of reducing weight. I know.. I know.. I'm threadcapping here... but figured I needed to explain my comment before. while we're at it, we might as well look into removing the fenders, bumpers, doors and hood similar to the pic in the link below: lol
http://home.comcast.net/~thirdgen89g...bare_frame.jpg
Old 08-12-2010, 02:19 PM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
damn....just when i thought he was nearing the end of the road with this project. (guess I'm a narrow minded noob, LoL)

Keep the ideas coming cuz i believe innacurate has the "balls" to do this

....Anyone who doesnt approve of this thread, why even waste your time posting?

Last edited by 05_NBP_TL; 08-12-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
At this point it shouldnt be called a diet no more, this is complete starvation and I love it!!! If only I had the support of wifey to do this hahaha..unfortunately she loves the interior too much for me to ever do something like this....Glad to see you attacked this hard and beyond InAccurate!!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been following this thread from day one. I've got the utmost respect for what you've done and how you've done it - but, I have to ask - why not just buy a lighter and more powerful car?

What about a WRX or similar? Same effect....and you can keep your door panels and carpet.

Again, I mean no disrespect - just very curious.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Middle Finger anyone?

No matter what car you own it can stand to lose some weight. That applies to anyone. I want a Ferrari F40. Very light and very powerful. But that ain't happening. I do however already own a TL. Why not make it more enjoyable?

I don't want to speak for Innacurate but even though this thread is specifically about the TL it could be applied to any car.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:04 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BG74
I've been following this thread from day one. I've got the utmost respect for what you've done and how you've done it - but, I have to ask - why not just buy a lighter and more powerful car?

What about a WRX or similar? Same effect....and you can keep your door panels and carpet.

but then if you strip it the same amount, you get EVEN more of the effect
Old 08-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts

doing your own modding and being unique is the fun part. If there is stuff that adds weight that isnt necessary or dsnt get used you might as well remove it. Gutting the car seems to be an afterthought after purchase and just becomes an obsessive hobbly like most are. Plus removing weight is the cheapest modding you can do besides the expensive seats and dont forget improves fuel economy. Anoher thing is these cars are fwd and its better to keep fwd cars lighter so you dont need excessive power to move them that you cant put to the ground. Why you dont really see any big v8 powered fwd cars or anything fwd really thats over 3600lbs. My goal with my cl is around 3k lbs in the end and 300-325 hp to the wheels.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Some people don't understand that the TL is a 3,500 lb luxury sedan (ok take off a few lbs with the metal shell that's been created in this thread) and not a Ferrari.

I'm all for unique mods and eh if driving a metal box makes the OP happy then...sure?
Old 08-13-2010, 11:36 AM
I love Lamp...

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow, I just read this thread from beginning to end and I love it. Not my cup on tea but awesome that you set a plan in motion and are continuing to find new ways to execute it.

The TL really is a pig. I cant imagine what your car drives like. Imagine if it were a 3.5L

It's funny you mentioned the putting a 3.2L in a Smart car. I have seriously been toying with the idea of a Smart car with the suzuki hayabusa engine and subframe conversion. The youtube videos are hysterical.

Keep up the good work!
Old 08-13-2010, 03:32 PM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by cjTL
Some people don't understand that the TL is a 3,500 lb luxury sedan (ok take off a few lbs with the metal shell that's been created in this thread) and not a Ferrari.

I'm all for unique mods and eh if driving a metal box makes the OP happy then...sure?
Shaving 700lbs pounds is unique in it self.
How many 2800lbs tl you see driving around daily.
A handful? it's unique.
I think some ones just hating on the man.

I've been watching op's progress for a little bit and I know his car is alot quicker than it was 700+lbs lighter from stock.
I had my cl striped out at one time before installing sound deading and the car was quicker and I only took out maybe 200
Old 08-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
guys, keep it to the weight reduction and not to why the OP is doing this. Next one gets a ban. Comprende?
Old 08-14-2010, 08:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

weight reduction is good in any car, but it's even better coming from a TL...nothing puts a smile on ur face pulling up to someone who sees ur TL as just a family sedan and next thing u know u are owning him left and right...this = immediate respect and props....sure you pull up in ferrari or an expected fast car stock then it's not as fun as having something that someone would not expect.....element of surprise is sooo nice in the street........InAccurate have you tried messing with tire pressures at all? Don't know if you have gone to track or used ur Gtech meter and set different pressures to see if you get any change in trap speeds or higher speeds in the top end or from a dig?
Old 08-14-2010, 07:54 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
TS, your car is the text book example of Bulimia not bullshitting
Old 08-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Middle Finger anyone?

Here is a neat radiator setup. Lighter, smaller, made for V8's so you know it has enough cooling capacity for our v6. Might have to get some bosses welded in for sensors. If you mount it towards the driver's side you could still use the stock hoses. Pricey though. $800+

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-50164/

On the low buck side you can get this all aluminum radiator. Should be a direct swap into the TL. Not sure if it'd be lighter. It might though. For less than $100 it could be worth buying to weigh it and compare. If not lighter, then return it.
http://www.genesisautoparts.com/all_...t0l_v6_181.htm
Old 08-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NCTL05
On the low buck side you can get this all aluminum radiator. Should be a direct swap into the TL. Not sure if it'd be lighter. It might though. For less than $100 it could be worth buying to weigh it and compare. If not lighter, then return it.
http://www.genesisautoparts.com/all_...t0l_v6_181.htm
it says its 14lbs in the description, so he just needs to weigh his to see if its worth it or not
Old 08-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Middle Finger anyone?

I didn't notice that. Good eye! 14lbs sounds really light. Innacurate you should check into this. Might be worth it. Instead of removing your radiator you can just go to a parts store and weigh a stock replacement for the TL. I doubt the dealer would take the time to pull the part just to weigh it.

I don't see a difference between the 5AT and 6MT radiators. Do the 5AT radiators on the TL not have a cooler built in for the tranny?

Last edited by NCTL05; 08-17-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Middle Finger anyone?

Well. Nevermind all that. I just checked on autozone. TL radiator is bigger and weighs the least with plastic tanks and aluminum core at 12.35 lbs. Accord radiator of the same construction is smaller but weighs more at 13.2 lbs. Then there is the all aluminum one at 14. Probably rounded up. So none of this really matters. Stick with the stock one.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:07 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
guys, keep it to the weight reduction and not to why the OP is doing this. Next one gets a ban. Comprende?
RichardParker.. should have just banned him for even visiting this thread. We'll call it a preemptive ban..

To NCTL05...

Seriously buddy.. your enthusiasm is great but very shortsighted. First you suggest Inacc remove his dash cover (which weighs about 15 lbs) and replace it with sheet metal (not much difference in weight). Then you suggest deleting his egr valve and his evap canister (do you know the importance of both?).. followed up with swapping out the rad for a rad spec'd for a big block v8!! It's good to see your enthusiasm but Inacc doesn't do anything to the TL without great thought.. I don't mean to be insulting but I suggest doing the same before you post.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Middle Finger anyone?

That's ok. I've had my TL for almost 2 years and I'm still learning the do's and don'ts. As far as the evap canister and EGR goes I know that most cars don't really need them. They are for emmisions. Delete the canister if you don't mind the smell of gas and delete the EGR if you don't care about emissions. Whether or not the TL can handle it IDK.

I still think taking the dash out is a good idea and I don't take it back. All of the frame to hold it up plus the dash itself plus any extra wiring harness plus other equipment you don't need would add up to well more than 25 lbs. I mean, if you're gonna gutt the car go balls out.

I admit that the whole radiator thing should've been thought out more. But still, isn't it cool that I found an all aluminum replacement. Plastic end tanks suck. Once they go they really go. You can't even JB weld it for a temporay fix. That'd never happen with an all alum. radiator.

Besides, I thought this thread was all about suggestions. Considering the OP counts the XM antennea at 0.5 lbs lost means that any weight lost is good no matter how small. And I don't pretend to know the rules or guidelines of innacurate's weight loss program and what he will or won't do to the car. Since initially he just wanted to remove unseen weight without disrupting the look of the car, but now has ended up with an almost gutted one. (Which is neato by the way!)

They are just suggestions. I thought that was what this thread was about. Let's keep it going. K.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:19 PM

That's ok. I've had my TL for almost 2 years and I'm still learning the do's and don'ts. As far as the evap canister and EGR goes I know that most cars don't really need them. They are for emmisions. Delete the canister if you don't mind the smell of gas and delete the EGR if you don't care about emissions. Whether or not the TL can handle it IDK.

I still think taking the dash out is a good idea and I don't take it back. All of the frame to hold it up plus the dash itself plus any extra wiring harness plus other equipment you don't need would add up to well more than 25 lbs. I mean, if you're gonna gutt the car go balls out.

I admit that the whole radiator thing should've been thought out more. But still, isn't it cool that I found an all aluminum replacement. Plastic end tanks suck. Once they go they really go. You can't even JB weld it for a temporay fix. That'd never happen with an all alum. radiator.

Besides, I thought this thread was all about suggestions. Considering the OP counts the XM antennea at 0.5 lbs lost means that any weight lost is good no matter how small. And I don't pretend to know the rules or guidelines of innacurate's weight loss program and what he will or won't do to the car. Since initially he just wanted to remove unseen weight without disrupting the look of the car, but now has ended up with an almost gutted one. (Which is neato by the way!)

They are just suggestions. I thought that was what this thread was about. Let's keep it going. K.
The first concern about removing the evap canister is where you're venting the fumes.. and the fumes that are actually escaping.. how do they effect the relative octane level if they're not reintroduced in the combustion cycle. The third consideration is bypassing the sensors if you don't keep a balanced pressurized system. The evap system is very sensitive.

Many people misunderstand the purpose of the EGR valve. They hear it introduces "hot" exhaust gas into the intake manifold.. therefore it's bad and they should remove it.. Well the purpose is not only to reduce NOx but also to reduce the combustion temps under load.. which reduces the occurrence of knock.

Here's my take on it (thinking out loud), imagine if you remove the evap canister and vent the fumes outside of the vehicle.. remember that many stations use E10. You've now allowed ethanol fumes the opportunity to vent while attracting water vapor into the mix. So you have theoretically reduced the octane level (remember that the octane boosting additives are also prone to phase separation), thus the combustion temp rating of the fuel has lowered.

On top of that you've deleted the EGR valve, reducing the engines ability to reduce combustion temps.. what do we have.. a perfect setup for preignition. IHC reported timing being pulled on 93 octane.. I doubt timing could be pulled enough to help in this worse case scenario. Will this absolutely happen, no, but is the possibility / likelihood of knock occurring.. yes.

Taking the dash cover and supporting frame out would be good but doing sheet metal wouldn't be worth it IMO. Inacc would definitely need to do some one off construction as he did for his moonroof to pull it off. I know Inacc definitely balances the benefit of each project and takes his time. I can see him doing this as a big project in the future, definitely not one to be taken lightly.

I'm not a fan of plastic end caps either but as long as type II honda coolant or silicate free coolant is used it shouldn't be an issue. I don't mean to discourage but rather keep the suggestions constructive.. I know Inacc appreciates good suggestions and constructive criticism.

Last edited by Majofo; 08-17-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Middle Finger anyone?

All of that about the emissions stuff I did not know. I remember doing that stuff on an old car of mine before. However it was OBD1 and was far less bitchy than modern OBD2 cars. I can't recall what was done to the evap canister, but it sure wasn't there and I never smelled gas. Maybe it was just capped off. Anyway, that doesn't matter. Thank you for clearing that up.

I agree that the sheet metal dash is fugly. CF is nicer. You just need a way to secure the gauges.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:02 PM

All of that about the emissions stuff I did not know. I remember doing that stuff on an old car of mine before. However it was OBD1 and was far less bitchy than modern OBD2 cars. I can't recall what was done to the evap canister, but it sure wasn't there and I never smelled gas. Maybe it was just capped off. Anyway, that doesn't matter. Thank you for clearing that up.

I agree that the sheet metal dash is fugly. CF is nicer. You just need a way to secure the gauges.
I don't think a sheet metal dash is ultimately fugly, it just depends on how you design it. But depending on the gauge / thickness.. it might not be worth it in the weight reduction regard.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:10 AM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2 months and no weight reductions?
has i come to a stopping point?
no way!!!
Old 10-17-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
^I bet the OEM gear shift could be -.6 pounds if that's removed.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:46 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
happy to report that ive started the 2nd gen tl diet.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by phee
happy to report that ive started the 2nd gen tl diet.
Shit.. you've already done the 6MT swap.. that's at least a 150lbs static. Hopefully you'll do a better job than this guy.. otherwise you'll end up in the official wtf car of the day thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5sk6TTwf0g
Old 11-12-2010, 09:21 AM
I got the Shifts

im not taking it that far. this is solely for track days. i normally ride around with 249 lbs removed.

track day this weekend will be about 300-350.

(not including wheels and trans swap)
Old 11-12-2010, 09:25 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
good luck phee
Old 11-12-2010, 10:32 AM
I got the Shifts

thanks man. I want 13's. I'll weigh my car to compare with inaccs
Old 11-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
I say keep going... your doing a great service by pushing the envelope.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:31 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey do you have any recent videos of the car? I want some more kills stories and a comparison test of before and after.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Nothing recent. More vids probably after I get the Nitrous Methanol Injection System running.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just read this thread front to back, good read.

I started the 2G Diet too, unfortunately I haven't weighed everything but when the track opens up in the spring I will get a weight and list of thing's I've removed.

Inaccurate: I've seen the pics of the door panels off with a garbage bag full of stuff. Do you have pics of EVERYTHING?

My new house has an office I can store things, as well as some extra room in the garage, but not a terrible amount. I am looking to see approx how much space I'll need incase I want my car to look "normal" again.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Inaccurate,
I looked through the last update list of removed items, and I didn't see this...

In case you haven't done it...Inside the steering wheel behind the airbag, there's a damper. Just like the one from the trunk lid, but smaller of course.
Once you remove the airbag, you can't miss it. 2 screws and it's out.

#17, take a look

http://acuraautomotiveparts.org/acur...s=&view=normal
Old 12-08-2010, 08:54 PM
I got the Shifts

found a 9-10 oz counter weight in the steering wheel behind the airbag. not necesarry for anything
post #648 or #658

happy to report my car weighs 3210 lbs with a full tank
Old 12-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

post #648 or #658

happy to report my car weighs 3210 lbs with a full tank
I didnt doubt it had been found...Didn't see it on his list and figured it wasn't found lol...either way I wasn't looking for it...accidentally discovered it while replacing the cable reel
Old 12-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I saw this when installing a new steering wheel. I almost removed it but I didn't know if it might develop some sort of harmonics or if it was just there for steering "feel".
Old 12-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
------ A Photo Essay ------

I see you've taken real measures to guard your skinny TL! lol

Hint: leaning against the wall

Quick Reply: M-010: Putting the TL on a diet (Update Links in Post #1)