M-010: Putting the TL on a diet (Update Links in Post #1)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Opel
I see you've taken real measures to guard your skinny TL! lol

Hint: leaning against the wall

Lol. I missed that the first time around. Note to self, don't mess with Inaccurate or any Texan for that matter. I wonder if he has a "lightweight" for his ccw.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Lol. I missed that the first time around. Note to self, don't mess with Inaccurate or any Texan for that matter. I wonder if he has a "lightweight" for his ccw.
Like removing the mag, and just leaving one round, and add as needed...kinda like he does with his TL's fuel tank lol
Old 12-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Team Owner

Like removing the mag, and just leaving one round, and add as needed...kinda like he does with his TL's fuel tank lol
That's funny. Hopefully he doesn't have to add them too often.

Inaccurate's ccw:

1-13-7.jpg&t=1

Mine just like everything else in my car is on the heavy side.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
In Texas, it is legal to carry a rifle (not a pistol) in the automobile (fully loaded and ready) without needing a CCW permit.

I do have a CCW permit and I used to wear a side piece (holstered pistol) 100% of the time. From the moment I woke-up to moment going to bed. It was on my hip, except when at work. Yes, around the house too.

As I progressed with the TL Diet, the added weight of the pistol did bother me. Believe it or not, I did stop wearing the pistol when I drove my TL to reduce weight. No joke. It was a hard decision for me. But ultimately, performance was more important to me than safety.

My previous hobby before returning to modding cars again was firearms and ballistics. I even handloaded my own ammo and conducted ballistics testing with gelatin.

My carrying piece is a Glock 35. My home piece (car too sometimes) is a AR15 (aka, M16). I build my own AR15's from cherry-picked components.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
In Texas, it is legal to carry a rifle (not a pistol) in the automobile (fully loaded and ready) without needing a CCW permit.

I do have a CCW permit and I used to wear a side piece (holstered pistol) 100% of the time. From the moment I woke-up to moment going to bed. It was on my hip, except when at work. Yes, around the house too.

As I progressed with the TL Diet, the added weight of the pistol did bother me. Believe it or not, I did stop wearing the pistol when I drove my TL to reduce weight. No joke. It was a hard decision for me. But ultimately, performance was more important to me than safety.

My previous hobby before returning to modding cars again was firearms and ballistics. I even handloaded my own ammo and conducted ballistics testing with gelatin.

My carrying piece is a Glock 35. My home piece (car too sometimes) is a AR15 (aka, M16). I build my own AR15's from cherry-picked components.
That's really neat.

Good old CA makes owning and carrying a weapon a struggle. I applied for a ccw but got denied. Supposedly it's a lot easier now so I may try again, Kern county is practically handing them out now.

As a kid when going shooting with my father, I could not enjoy just shooting like everyone else. Instead it was testing various rounds of different weights some hotter than others and measuring with a chronograph to collect data.

He did get me into competitive shooting at 18 and we did ok locally. I never really learned much on the technical side but he's practically an expert and a gunsmith.

In fact, guns have always been a huge hobby of his then he took a 5 year break when he got his GN to go racing and now it's back to guns. It really pays now to reload your own stuff now. I don't know how it is in Texas but in certain areas and always if you're hunting you have to use copper rounds which as you know are extremely expensive.

Anyway, somewhat in relation to what you have, he has a Galil .308 but it's obvously not in CA.

Now not taking the pistol is not the kind of weight reduction I would do but at least you have a good chance of getting away.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Team Owner

Just curious, what's the reason behind the AR15 for home protection?

I found out by one of my law enforcement friends that my "stack" in the shotgun is illegal. I never knew the order of the type of rounds you use can be illegal. I figured you spray them with the first round or two and the put a large hole in them with the rest. Apparently this is illegal.

Ok, done with the off topic.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:26 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Just curious, what's the reason behind the AR15 for home protection?

I found out by one of my law enforcement friends that my "stack" in the shotgun is illegal. I never knew the order of the type of rounds you use can be illegal. I figured you spray them with the first round or two and the put a large hole in them with the rest. Apparently this is illegal.

Ok, done with the off topic.
lol, kinda that take them down for the count, then come in for the final blow (and the scary part is that you have actually thought about how to stack them )

as far as the AR-15 goes; fuck even the cops here have them mounted inside there cars right alongside their shotguns
Old 12-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Safety Car

Inaccurate's ccw:

No. Just the opposite. This is my CCW. Glock 35.

You should know by now that Inaccurate does nothing half-assed. Anything worth doing, it worth overdoing.
This is a large pistol. Primarily intended by the manufacturer to be a "Practical/Tactical" competition pistol. Nearly everyone (gun guys) say it is not carryable because of it's long barrel. The barrel length is 5.32 inches. I have carried it for years on my hip with absolutely no problem, even while sitting in the car.

Same thing with my rifles. I only have full length AR15's. All of them are 20" barrels. I use them for home protection. Again, nearly all gun guys say that a 20" AR is too long. I never had a single problem. Just practice often on how to maneuver that long 20" for close quarters. I had even carried the 20" in the car versus my pistol often too.

Last edited by Inaccurate; 12-08-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:50 PM
B A N N E D

No. Just the opposite. This is my CCW. Glock 35.

You should know by now that Inaccurate does nothing half-assed. Anything worth doing, it worth overdoing.
This is a large pistol
. Primarily intended by the manufacturer to be a "Practical/Tactical" competition pistol. Nearly everyone (gun guys) say it is not carryable because of it's long barrel. The barrel length is 5.32 inches. I have carried it for years on my hip with absolutely no problem, even while sitting in the car.

Same thing with my rifles. I only have full length AR15's. All of them are 20" barrels. I use them for home protection. Again, nearly all gun guys say that a 20" AR is too long. I never had a single problem. Just practice often on how to maneuver that long 20" for close quarters. I had even carried the 20" in the car versus my pistol often too.
i saw you go for a .50 caliber dessert eagle next, then you be playing with the big boys lol

not really a big gun guy, but aren't close quarters more about who can get the first round off then getting it 100% accurate, and if you have to move "slower" around a barrier or something, that it will get you killed, cause the other guy's weapong will already be up and shooting before you even get yours ready to fire
Old 12-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Whatever you guys do, I don't wanna be blamed for the gun topic lol
Old 12-09-2010, 12:06 AM
Safety Car

Whatever you guys do, I don't wanna be blamed for the gun topic lol
It is on topic....... (see below)

Old 12-09-2010, 08:14 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
I didnt doubt it had been found...Didn't see it on his list and figured it wasn't found lol...either way I wasn't looking for it...accidentally discovered it while replacing the cable reel
I don't know if he took it out. he never replied to my post
Old 12-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by friesm2000
lol, kinda that take them down for the count, then come in for the final blow (and the scary part is that you have actually thought about how to stack them )

as far as the AR-15 goes; fuck even the cops here have them mounted inside there cars right alongside their shotguns
Only for self defense lol. I don't want something that's going to travel through every wall in the house and into the neigbor's house too but I want something that's going to stop someone. You could think of it as the first shot being a painful "warning" and the second one is for real. It helps when I have it in the car. No screwing around, no road rage, I ignore people when they're being dumb and basically starting trouble. I'm totally passive with that thing because I'm not about to get into a situation where I have to use it so I avoid confrontation at all costs. Even if you're 100% right when you have to use it, it will change your life forever in many different ways.....and not for the better.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:31 AM
J36Twingt28r's,nextgt30r

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
damn i love texas. guns and light weight cars FTMFW!!!
Old 12-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Desert Eagle is a ridiculous gun. I'd never own one. I can't shoot a short barrel to save my life. The smallest handgun that I'm comfortable with is a HK compact 40. I'll holster a 1911 any day.. My HS buddy from the other side of the continent happens to live the next town over (small world).. he's an ex-marine, and now a LEO. He has several AR builds and some sweet 1911 builds as well.. He tried to sell me his 1911 build but too much $$$ for me..

Getting a CCW here in TX just requires you to fill out an online form, fill in the payment box and viola.. they do a background check but usually just a formality if you have a clean record. Too bad you CA guys get it so tough, but hey it's your constitutional right to carry.. just open carry.. lol.

I can't believe a stacked rack is illegal, sounds like a ridiculous assertion. I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable popping a slug in the house but sometimes being able to blow through the wall / door evens out the playing field. You definitely have a heightened sense when carrying.. If it doesn't mature your senses, you shouldn't be carrying.

Last edited by Majofo; 12-09-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:16 AM
I got the Shifts

i this thread
Old 12-09-2010, 09:25 AM
I got the Shifts

heres a little help to keep the thread from being :locked: id like to continue this discussion in the

Gun Enthusiast Thread
Old 12-09-2010, 09:58 AM

That thread is more about politics than guns..

Back OT..
Old 12-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
My 03 cl has a dynamic damper in the steering wheel also. Are there any negative effects to removing it? Will the steering feel alot lighter after?

I am going to put in a steering hub and quick release soon anyway.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Safety Car

Let's "cease and desist" with the GUN talk. We are no longer able to justify it as being on topic.

Please use the gun thread (click here) to prevent the diet thread from going off topic.

Thanks Phee !

I removed the steering wheel damper many years ago. I removed it when I was installing the racing seats and removing the oem airbags.

I did *not* feel any vibrations from having the damper removed. I did not notice anything unusual from removing the damper.

Last edited by Inaccurate; 12-09-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by brian6speed
Will the steering feel alot lighter after [removing the damper]?
I doubt the wheel will feel lighter. The damper is very small. Maybe 3 or 4 ounces in weight. I removed the heavy airbag in the steering wheel at the same time that I removed the damper.

However, the wheel felt extremely light after removing the heavy airbag from the steering wheel.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:31 PM

It seems like the weight reduction is on the back burner.. Are you still considering going with lighter rotors or lighter suspension?
Old 12-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

as far as steering damper...my best guess would be that its there to somewhat absorb/resonate minor feedbacks/kicks...removing it shouldn't be noticeable

Inaccurate..
When you removed the airbag...the steering felt lighter in means of the steering itself, or steering the car without the airbag in the wheel felt lighter?
Id imagine with the reduced weight on the steering, there should be needed slightly more effort on turning the steering, no?
I'm not quiet sure, but my wonder is, exactly what kind of effect would a lighter steering wheel have on our car, as far and the whole steering system while driving.
Thats one of the experiences I haven't had, therefore I can't elaborate, but wonder.

I apologize i haven't been following the thread closely and maybe this has been discussed, but is there a way to get some custom lower control arms? Aluminum perhaps, aside from weight reduction, suspension and steering response should improve by a good margin. Im a fan of light lower arms, yet I haven't looked into it myself, but chances are they wouldn't last me here...I'd imagine the roads where you live are way better than up here in NYC at least, so I wouldn't worry much about them bending
Old 12-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Majofo
It seems like the weight reduction is on the back burner.. Are you still considering going with lighter rotors or lighter suspension?
Agreed. Getting rid of the 5at cast iron calipers and replacing with 4pot aluminums along with less rotor weight makes a surprising difference in handling along with the other benefits. I couldn't believe it when I did mine, I wasn't even looking for handling improvements.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:56 PM
B A N N E D

as far as steering damper...my best guess would be that its there to somewhat absorb/resonate minor feedbacks/kicks...removing it shouldn't be noticeable

Inaccurate..
When you removed the airbag...the steering felt lighter in means of the steering itself, or steering the car without the airbag in the wheel felt lighter?
Id imagine with the reduced weight on the steering, there should be needed slightly more effort on turning the steering, no?
I'm not quiet sure, but my wonder is, exactly what kind of effect would a lighter steering wheel have on our car, as far and the whole steering system while driving.
Thats one of the experiences I haven't had, therefore I can't elaborate, but wonder.

I apologize i haven't been following the thread closely and maybe this has been discussed, but is there a way to get some custom lower control arms? Aluminum perhaps, aside from weight reduction, suspension and steering response should improve by a good margin. Im a fan of light lower arms, yet I haven't looked into it myself, but chances are they wouldn't last me here...I'd imagine the roads where you live are way better than up here in NYC at least, so I wouldn't worry much about them bending
Agreed. Getting rid of the 5at cast iron calipers and replacing with 4pot aluminums along with less rotor weight makes a surprising difference in handling along with the other benefits. I couldn't believe it when I did mine, I wasn't even looking for handling improvements.
and the first time i did brakes on a set of aluminum calipers, i was like wholly shit, there is nothing there

BTW, i have noticed GM is doing alot more aluminum calipers even on non-performance models (including SUV's) for weight savings and such (they look like just plain old cast irons till you you start pulling them apart, and you feel the weight difference)(and what about the color of them..., normally covered in brake dust, and road grime, so can't really tell as far as that goes)
Old 12-12-2010, 10:59 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hah, classic Inaccurate here.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:02 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, same concept with lightweight wheels applies to rotors as well, albeit the weight reduction on the wheels would make a more substantial difference than the rotor.

I think he was considering going with a two piece rotor from Heeltoe, but couldn't justify the asking price.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I thought you Jenny Craig types would like to see this. There's a guy on a Maxima.org with the same disease as Inaccurate. The car in question is an 04 6MT Maxima (3,450lbs factory weight). 3,108lb weight with driver. He's removed about 520lbs to 550lbs from the car. The car makes ~230whp/220wtq possibly a little more. On a 6500rpm launch on slicks, he's doing 12.9s@106 to 107mph with upper 1.8 to lower 1.9 60 foots. Without weight reduction, the car was doing lower 14s@100mph on street tires.

http://forums.maxima.org/1-4-1-8-mil...r-6th-gen.html
Old 12-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Eoanou
Yeah, same concept with lightweight wheels applies to rotors as well, albeit the weight reduction on the wheels would make a more substantial difference than the rotor.

I think he was considering going with a two piece rotor from Heeltoe, but couldn't justify the asking price.
I'm sure the difference in acceleration is there. But what I was unprepared for and I wasn't even looking for was the difference in handling.

Most specifically hitting bumps while cornering. The car just feels more glued to the road. No skipping over bumps mid corner. It feels more "tossable" and nimble. I was not even thinking of this when I first installed the brakes and during the first hour I kept wondering why the car handled different (better). The only thing I changed was the brakes.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very impressed with your motivation and the neat lil essay in the beginning.i could never do this to my car considering i carry a lot of extra crap that ends up coming in handy.the only thing i didnt like is the spare tire removal.if a tire blows ur gonna have a hell of a lot of fun trying to get the super light weight car under control and getting home
Old 01-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Safety Car

Thanks for the reply aimtimes100. A lighter vehicle is much easier to keep under control than a heavy vehicle (i.e. if a tire was to blow out).
Old 01-27-2011, 09:15 PM
B A N N E D

Thanks for the reply aimtimes100. A lighter vehicle is much easier to keep under control than a heavy vehicle (i.e. if a tire was to blow out).
why do you say....

i think there are a couple of tradeoffs though, yes a lighter vehicle handles better and is more reponsive, but it also means that it will get more "upset" then a heavier car, which has mass to dampen out the blowout (and you may just barely feel it then)

but considering this though, a lighter car is less likely to cause a blow out though, due to the tires not being a loaded/worked as hard, so less heat build up inside the tire itself (and as long as they are maintained, should be no real biggie)
Old 01-27-2011, 10:04 PM
Team Owner

I have a little experience here obviously not in a Tl.

My GN is only 3,000lbs with the same 108" wheelbase that the Tl has. It's incredibly easy to control. I can take it to full lock to where my skidmarks look like one single mark because it's so sideways and I've never lost control. I slide it around everywhere, it's so easy even the GF can kind of do it.

My friend's 5,200lb CL65 Mercedes with 600hp is a whole different story. You get those 5,200lbs sliding and it just keeps going and going and going long after you lift off the throttle. I've been driving sideways my whole life and the only car that made me more nervous going sideways was an older 911 Porsche.

Usually the lighter car is going to respond quicker and straighten out quicker. Extra weight makes it want to continue in the direction it's sliding and it can make for some really weird handling habits as the suspension hits the bumpstops and roll stiffness goes infinite.

Maybe what some people are thinking of is how a lighter car is more effected by external things like wind.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:10 PM
I got the Shifts

It's all in the inertia.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:28 PM
Safety Car

For anyone that has ever had a "car load" of passengers may have noticed, a car will have squirrelly behavior due to the weight.

1) acura feels "boaty" (click here)
2) Surprised: By the WEIGHT factor (click here)

I would had never, and never did, drive my stock TL the way I throw-around my light TL. The stock TL has too much weight and can become a "handful to control" (to coin a phrase).

Whereas with my light TL, I throw it around all of the time because I know (can feel) that there is no weight that is going to "come around and bite me in the butt". To me, this is what is meant by the term "toss-able".
Old 02-06-2011, 01:29 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
took off the rear 5 mph bumper today.
Thanks Inaccurate!
Old 02-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Safety Car

^ My pleasure friend. And remember, you can't "brake check" anyone anymore.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:44 PM

^ My pleasure friend. And remember, you can't "brake check" anyone anymore.
from my understanding, its for collisions 5mph and under. not used for occupant safety.

will probably take the front one off as well.
in my rough calculations, i've probably taken off at least 60 pounds.

Car feels great and "toss-able"
I enjoy my car 10x more!!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Safety Car

^ Correct about the 5-MPH protection. I just meant that a "love tap" would now cause a cosmetic issue.

Happy to here that you are enjoying your lighter ride. Woo hoo, what a ride.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:03 PM

^ Correct about the 5-MPH protection. I just meant that a "love tap" would now cause a cosmetic issue.

Happy to here that you are enjoying your lighter ride. Woo hoo, what a ride.
I'm fine with cosmetic issues...you gotta pay to play right!?

next is the front 5mph bumper.
and since I would have the bumper off, I think I might do the engine cradle damper.

Quick Reply: M-010: Putting the TL on a diet (Update Links in Post #1)