The Official Gun Enthusiast News and Discussion Thread - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > Off Topic Discussion > Ramblings
Reload this Page >

The Official Gun Enthusiast News and Discussion Thread

Notices

The Official Gun Enthusiast News and Discussion Thread

Reply

 
 
 
Old 12-15-2007, 07:04 PM
  #1  
Adventurist.
Thread Starter
 
NiteQwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 6,661
Thanked 55 Times in 19 Posts
The Official Gun Enthusiast News and Discussion Thread

Has anyone ever fired the Glock 23C? I've fired a few thousand rounds through a 22, 23, and 27. Does the compensator really make a difference?

I can't seem to find any ranges that offer it as a rental. I'm thinking of treating myself to an early Christmas present.
NiteQwill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:42 PM
  #2  
cameras R my crack
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fairfax, Va.
Posts: 37,392
Thanked 1,045 Times in 616 Posts
I just "googled' Glock 23C review. Just quickly looking, no one had a bad thing to say about it. One said get it over the 23.
jupitersolo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:55 PM
  #3  
I disagree with unanimity
iTrader: (2)
 
sho_nuff1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: WI
Age: 40
Posts: 14,036
Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts
i've fired my sister's glock 37 (.45 G.A.P.). it's very accurate and very little kick. never fired a 23c. yes, i think the compensator makes a diff
sho_nuff1997 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:20 PM
  #4  
Needs more Lemon Pledge
 
stogie1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 45
Posts: 51,098
Thanked 1,667 Times in 996 Posts
Be aware that in low light shooting scenarios, you may be blinded by the flash much like if a camera flash were to go off in your eyes.
stogie1020 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:02 PM
  #5  
Adventurist.
Thread Starter
 
NiteQwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 6,661
Thanked 55 Times in 19 Posts
From a compact standpoint, does anyone have any opinions on a sig 229R vs. my choice above.
NiteQwill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:07 PM
  #6  
Quinto1025
 
Q1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North East
Age: 31
Posts: 5,992
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
nite, might want to check this thread out, they offer some advantages and disadvantages.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...&highlight=23c


but like any gun, you will have to go shoot it to determine if its right for you, to each his own!


lets us know what you end up buying yourself for xmas!
Q1911 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:35 PM
  #7  
cameras R my crack
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fairfax, Va.
Posts: 37,392
Thanked 1,045 Times in 616 Posts
After reading that I think I'd want to shoot one before buying it. But I'm a Sig snob.
jupitersolo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:36 PM
  #8  
Caffenine Addict
 
Tweek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maryland
Age: 30
Posts: 210
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im close to what your looking for. I have both a Sig 228 and a Glock 26.


Im in love with both of them. The Glock is way nicer for CC. I have pretty meaty hands and thats my only dislike to the glock. Its to good for concealed. The Sig is still a nice carry but a tad more difficult to hide. They both shoot similar, but I like the feel of the 228 better just for the size on my dickskinners. Some of my buddies like the Glock better because they have smaller hands. So it would help to shoot both.

I have really no input on the compensator. Are you going to be carrying it?
Tweek is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:31 AM
  #9  
Adventurist.
Thread Starter
 
NiteQwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 6,661
Thanked 55 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Tweek

Im in love with both of them. The Glock is way nicer for CC. I have pretty meaty hands and thats my only dislike to the glock. Its to good for concealed. The Sig is still a nice carry but a tad more difficult to hide. They both shoot similar, but I like the feel of the 228 better just for the size on my dickskinners. Some of my buddies like the Glock better because they have smaller hands. So it would help to shoot both.

I have really no input on the compensator. Are you going to be carrying it?
Thanks for the input! Upon reading, it seems I can do without the compensator (reading about shrapnel from hip drawing is not appealing, either). Besides, I'm more used to uncompensated guns. Sigs are awesome (toyed with a 226 and 220 for awhile, in the past), but the price is just out of my range.

Yes, to carrying. I agree with you that the Glock is much, much easier to carry concealed.
NiteQwill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:35 AM
  #10  
Caffenine Addict
 
Tweek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maryland
Age: 30
Posts: 210
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NiteQwill
Thanks for the input! Upon reading, it seems I can do without the compensator (reading about shrapnel from hip drawing is not appealing, either). Besides, I'm more used to uncompensated guns. Sigs are awesome (toyed with a 226 and 220 for awhile, in the past), but the price is just out of my range.

Yes, to carrying. I agree with you that the Glock is much, much easier to carry concealed.
Yea, The 26 can be hidden anywhere. Even with tighter clothes on its so easy to hid. I dont mind the 26 with the pinky extender on. If you dont mind buying used, you can find Sigs fairly cheap. Some people dont like used tho. Idk where you live but Gander Mountain always runs crazy cheap deals on new and used guns. I also scooped up a second Sig and Also a P99 as two more to add to the collection but I decided I wanted to build an AR. Ha as I type this I have two other windows open with all AR stuff on it.


side note... are you the one with the AR on here? I know I saw one in another forum. Is so PM me or just take up room in this thread about it. Im interested in what lower/uppers people like. Im way new to this AR stuff.
Tweek is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:37 AM
  #11  
Senior Moderator
 
Ken1997TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Portlandia, Oregon
Posts: 44,914
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,161 Posts
I'm biased towards Sig, so I'll just stay out of this one
Ken1997TL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:43 AM
  #12  
Caffenine Addict
 
Tweek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maryland
Age: 30
Posts: 210
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I'm biased towards Sig, so I'll just stay out of this one
dont get me wrong. I love my Sig. Probably more then the Glock, but the Glock is a tad easier to CC. Im just going off my two firearms.
Tweek is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:44 AM
  #13  
Be Strong AND Courageous!
iTrader: (1)
 
DarkSithCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Joshua 1:1-9
Age: 52
Posts: 9,300
Thanked 42 Times in 33 Posts
I carried a G27 concealed for a couple years with the pinky extender and I loved it. It packs well and always shot a tight group. One of my old mlitary friends swore by Sig, but wasnt needing to carry concealed...
DarkSithCL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:28 AM
  #14  
Caffenine Addict
 
Tweek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maryland
Age: 30
Posts: 210
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
I carried a G27 concealed for a couple years with the pinky extender and I loved it. It packs well and always shot a tight group. One of my old mlitary friends swore by Sig, but wasnt needing to carry concealed...
Ive found the same thing out. The 26 has a very tight grouping even at longer distances. The only problem I had with the gun was the previous owner did a 1/2 ass job on the night sight install and the front sight popped off at the range. I still need to order a new one.
Tweek is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:43 AM
  #15  
Needs more Lemon Pledge
 
stogie1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 45
Posts: 51,098
Thanked 1,667 Times in 996 Posts
Get a 1911 full size lightweight and be done with it.
stogie1020 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:56 PM
  #16  
Adventurist.
Thread Starter
 
NiteQwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 6,661
Thanked 55 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
Get a 1911 full size lightweight and be done with it.
I agree. But I'm a skinny fellow, and my love for 1911's doesn't hide the fact that concealed, the 1911 still pokes its rear end out even with a IWB holster on me.
NiteQwill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:24 PM
  #17  
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader
 
trancemission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dallas TX
Age: 47
Posts: 8,858
Thanked 179 Times in 115 Posts
I just bought the springfield armory sub compact 40 cal.

Ill let you know how it is after I shoot it.....
trancemission is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:36 PM
  #18  
Quinto1025
 
Q1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North East
Age: 31
Posts: 5,992
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission
I just bought the springfield armory sub compact 40 cal.

Ill let you know how it is after I shoot it.....


Yes i would love to hear your feedback on that. Torn between that and the glocks. Let me know how you like the grip safety.
Q1911 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:43 PM
  #19  
Adventurist.
Thread Starter
 
NiteQwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 6,661
Thanked 55 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission
I just bought the springfield armory sub compact 40 cal.

Ill let you know how it is after I shoot it.....
Sweet! That was my 2nd choice. Let us know!
NiteQwill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:52 PM
  #20  
Registered Member
 
DRM600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,887
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can get the 23c and play with it the range. the flash won't help any during low light siuations. get a 23 barrel and it's good for carry and home defense.

if you get another barrel, upgrade. it'd be nice to get 9mm conversion barrel while you're at it.
DRM600 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:03 PM
  #21  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 536
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try a sig 239.
hypertech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:06 PM
  #22  
Needs more Lemon Pledge
 
stogie1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 45
Posts: 51,098
Thanked 1,667 Times in 996 Posts
Nite, try a single stack 1911 Officer's model LW, middle of the back, in a reverse (butt toward strong side) carry position.

Matter of fact, I am loking to part with my Colt Ofc LW.... Carried on duty for 5+years.
stogie1020 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:55 AM
  #23  
Adventurist.
Thread Starter
 
NiteQwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 6,661
Thanked 55 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
Nite, try a single stack 1911 Officer's model LW, middle of the back, in a reverse (butt toward strong side) carry position.

Matter of fact, I am loking to part with my Colt Ofc LW.... Carried on duty for 5+years.
Any pictures?

Problem to me with reverse carry is the act of reaching around my torso. I guess habits in the military are burned in, but I absolutely hated my guys under me who carried handguns to wear holsters in reverse carry due to possibility of flagging someone on their weakside while drawing the weapon (though it wasn't a rule or policy, I politely "persuaded" them to do otherwise ). I just think the draw time is too long and inability to shoot from the hip (I'm sure LEOs practice this everyday. In the Army, unconventionally, we practice double tap drills from the hip followed by a weaver stance/double tap). (Kinda reminds me of that badass scene of Tom Cruise in Collateral )
NiteQwill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:56 AM
  #24  
Needs more Lemon Pledge
 
stogie1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 45
Posts: 51,098
Thanked 1,667 Times in 996 Posts
Yeah, I always preferred strong side carry ON duty (plain clothes, usually a suit), just often used the SOB for off duty since I live in a hot climate and layers don't work so well..
stogie1020 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:22 AM
  #25  
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
 
GrandeInter10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 959
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope you guys all have CCW permits to be carrying these weapons around...if not, don't come around LA County with em, especially after Summer of 08, when I officially become an LA County Sheriffs Deputy. But with regards to the Glock, it's a very good shot, lightweight and pretty accurate. Personally I enjoy shooting a Glock 20 more. 10mils are nice. But for power I shoot a .500 S&W. Two words: Hand cannon. Goin huntin an elephant?
GrandeInter10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:54 AM
  #26  
Adventurist.
Thread Starter
 
NiteQwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 6,661
Thanked 55 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by GrandeInter10
I hope you guys all have CCW permits to be carrying these weapons around...if not, don't come around LA County with em, especially after Summer of 08, when I officially become an LA County Sheriffs Deputy. But with regards to the Glock, it's a very good shot, lightweight and pretty accurate. Personally I enjoy shooting a Glock 20 more. 10mils are nice. But for power I shoot a .500 S&W. Two words: Hand cannon. Goin huntin an elephant?
I'm not stupid or crazy. Nor do I want to end up in prison. Yes, a CCW is a must.

(Unfortunately, Sheriff Carona is temporarily out of the picture and he was the most level headed police official California has seen in a long time concerning CCW issue.)
NiteQwill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:48 PM
  #27  
Quinto1025
 
Q1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North East
Age: 31
Posts: 5,992
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GrandeInter10
I hope you guys all have CCW permits to be carrying these weapons around...if not, don't come around LA County with em, especially after Summer of 08, when I officially become an LA County Sheriffs Deputy. But with regards to the Glock, it's a very good shot, lightweight and pretty accurate. Personally I enjoy shooting a Glock 20 more. 10mils are nice. But for power I shoot a .500 S&W. Two words: Hand cannon. Goin huntin an elephant?


wow, little cocky are we?? and i have heard nothing but bad things about the 10mil why do you say there so good?
Q1911 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:22 PM
  #28  
Adventurist.
Thread Starter
 
NiteQwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 6,661
Thanked 55 Times in 19 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys! I settled for a brand spankin' new 23 (non-comp). My shop really took care of me (discount, too!) and I couldn't pass it up.
NiteQwill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:26 PM
  #29  
Quinto1025
 
Q1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North East
Age: 31
Posts: 5,992
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NiteQwill
Thanks for the advice guys! I settled for a brand spankin' new 23 (non-comp). My shop really took care of me (discount, too!) and I couldn't pass it up.

congrads
Q1911 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:28 PM
  #30  
Needs more Lemon Pledge
 
stogie1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 45
Posts: 51,098
Thanked 1,667 Times in 996 Posts
Congrats! Now go SHOOT something with it!! Oh wait, this isn't the camera forum....
stogie1020 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:41 PM
  #31  
Needs more Lemon Pledge
 
stogie1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 45
Posts: 51,098
Thanked 1,667 Times in 996 Posts
Originally Posted by GrandeInter10
I hope you guys all have CCW permits to be carrying these weapons around...if not, don't come around LA County with em, especially after Summer of 08, when I officially become an LA County Sheriffs Deputy.

Don't be that guy. Please. Law Enforcement is hard enough without judgment-less officers. First, finish your time at the jails (still required?). Then, realize that not everyone violating a law deserves to be punished. You will learn that nurses and firefighters NEVER get tickets (and shouldn't). This is a good thing, since when you get hurt at work, they are the ones saving you. Similarly, a well trained, judgment oriented person carrying a reasonable firearm concealed, albeit without a CCW, is not where you should focus your crime fighting efforts. Find the guy selling stolen pistols and lock HIM up.

Judgment is the ONE thing no academy will teach a budding "officer-to-be." You just have to have it or learn it on your own. Find good, well respected mentors and absorb as much as you can from them. Be safe and good luck!
stogie1020 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:35 PM
  #32  
Adventurist.
Thread Starter
 
NiteQwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 6,661
Thanked 55 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
Congrats! Now go SHOOT something with it!! Oh wait, this isn't the camera forum....


With my new Christmas present being a membership to a range club... FREE RANGE TIME!
NiteQwill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:48 PM
  #33  
No pics w/thread= garbage
 
Doc Holiday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: In the desert... Cali
Age: 34
Posts: 773
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheres Beltfed in the midst of all this gun talk...?
Doc Holiday is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:33 PM
  #34  
Adventurist.
Thread Starter
 
NiteQwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 6,661
Thanked 55 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday
Wheres Beltfed in the midst of all this gun talk...?
Yea, I was wondering where the hell he's been....
NiteQwill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:44 PM
  #35  
Needs more Lemon Pledge
 
stogie1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 45
Posts: 51,098
Thanked 1,667 Times in 996 Posts
Nite, enjoy shooting the hell out of that Glock! It's a great gun, and the first I would grab when I was flying armed. High round count, nice bullet, no snag design for CC (well, most Glocks have this...). Have fun, and remember, on the range, Democrats and Socialists are worth 2x the points.... Go for high score!!
stogie1020 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:43 PM
  #36  
Registered Member
 
DRM600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,887
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
Don't be that guy. Please. Law Enforcement is hard enough without judgment-less officers. First, finish your time at the jails (still required?). Then, realize that not everyone violating a law deserves to be punished. You will learn that nurses and firefighters NEVER get tickets (and shouldn't). This is a good thing, since when you get hurt at work, they are the ones saving you. Similarly, a well trained, judgment oriented person carrying a reasonable firearm concealed, albeit without a CCW, is not where you should focus your crime fighting efforts. Find the guy selling stolen pistols and lock HIM up.

Judgment is the ONE thing no academy will teach a budding "officer-to-be." You just have to have it or learn it on your own. Find good, well respected mentors and absorb as much as you can from them. Be safe and good luck!

for being one of the good ones.
DRM600 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:15 AM
  #37  
Registered Member
 
A SiQ TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sacramento area
Posts: 3,823
Thanked 330 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by NiteQwill
Thanks for the advice guys! I settled for a brand spankin' new 23 (non-comp). My shop really took care of me (discount, too!) and I couldn't pass it up.

Excellant choice, now get yourself one of these.
http://www.lasermax.com/product.php?id=1
I have one from when they were first released , and still love it. The intimidation factor is powerful also. Nothing like a nice red dot on someone to let them know they are screwed.
A SiQ TL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:18 AM
  #38  
Registered Member
 
A SiQ TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sacramento area
Posts: 3,823
Thanked 330 Times in 273 Posts
Also, if you get the Glock 27 you can use your 13 round mag from the 23 in it.
Handy if you carry concealed with a back up mag.
A SiQ TL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:02 AM
  #39  
Adventurist.
Thread Starter
 
NiteQwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 6,661
Thanked 55 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by A SiQ TL
Excellant choice, now get yourself one of these.
http://www.lasermax.com/product.php?id=1
I have one from when they were first released , and still love it. The intimidation factor is powerful also. Nothing like a nice red dot on someone to let them know they are screwed.
I have always liked the LaserMax systems BUT, in Orange County, a CCW permit holder is not allowed any modifications to their carried arms, such as barrels OR laser systems. Sucks, I know...
NiteQwill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:18 AM
  #40  
Be Strong AND Courageous!
iTrader: (1)
 
DarkSithCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Joshua 1:1-9
Age: 52
Posts: 9,300
Thanked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by NiteQwill
I have always liked the LaserMax systems BUT, in Orange County, a CCW permit holder is not allowed any modifications to their carried arms, such as barrels OR laser systems. Sucks, I know...
Congrats on the GLOCK!!! Ur really gonna end up carring that thing everywhere!!! That frame doesnt print much at all and feels good next to ya! ...also if I bought another one I would invest in the night sights too...
DarkSithCL is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Official Gun Enthusiast News and Discussion Thread


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.