ATLP Base Exhaust final prototype is in.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 03:28 PM
08 TL-S NBP

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I think it looks great Mike, I think you need to maybe take a shot with the inside darker and you'll get all of those who are sold on it yet. That is the only thing I didn't like but it does get darker and I'm sure it would look a lot better once its darker.

I think you should also take a picture from the top of the trunk down so you can somehow get a shot of both of the tips from the top cause the majority of the time you see them from the top.

I'm kinda disappointed now that the regular tl's will sound almost the same at the type s. The only difference is the look of the tips, but o well I can deal with that. It definitely saves production costs.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:52 PM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
ummm...im with dragonlord. i need to see more pics plus the side profile just seems akward to me....like the tips have no angle to them.....

more pics...more pics!!!
Old 02-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I like it? Need to see this on the base a-spec rear.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
the problem is that pictures do no justice, you have to see it in person like many of the other stuff. IMHO...i was skeptical about the look at first, but once they were on I loved it! Every minute that passed by as Scott the mufflerman was doing the welding, the more i liked it. reminds me of a European sports exhaust, sleek, raw, clean cut. The way the tips, mufflers, and extension was composed gave it a sports car look, kind of like a porsche

It is all solely preference as well. I am a major fan of European exhausts such as eisenman, stromung, sebring, remus, etc and this one hit it on the spot. I also think the pictures made the mufflers come out a bit meh is because of the color mismatch on the bumper, idk about you guys but that made a big difference for me, try to imagine it the same color, see if that makes a difference.

As for the sound, I do not think it will sound the same as the ATLP quads. The tips have a widemouth opening as opposed to ATLP Quad's 3.5" opening with long tips. The muffler on the BASE ATLP is 1" or so longer as well, so it is a different size. I think the tone will be more solid, leaning more to a bass-ier aggressive tone.

The tips may work for some...that is up to you. The way i see it, it is different and I love it. I think the quad outlets to a single rolled oval tip is very unique, why? Because if it was just a single outlet to an oval tip it would remind me too much of a stock tip welded to a magnaflow oval muffler or a universal oval tip welded to a magnaflow muffler. This design atleast has a sense of being different.

I am still waiting for the go for the final fitment, these of course are just dummy mufflers. Not sure if I will still be mr. tester since that wasn't my bumper Maybe Mike will get someone with the base aspec next time?

This whole post of mine was purely my and some facts
Old 02-02-2009, 08:20 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mike- what about just extending the tips out from the mufflers if the rolled oval will not fit the RJ rear- could that be a viable option. That would give us the quad look which I LOVE!
Old 02-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Banned

I cant wait for all the final tweaks to be figured out! I cant wait to get this@!!
Old 02-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wonder if it'll be flush with the a-spec rear lip? Pretty sure thats what it was designed around.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:09 AM
Sandy Eggo

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
That thing looks HARD..

I want one..
Old 02-03-2009, 06:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

i keep looking at this exhaust more and more... its really starting to grow on me i diff wanna see more pics of it and the finish product.

this is really nice when i started back on the form there was only 3 exhaust for these cars atlp for type s, greddy, comptech then came ,xrl8 for type s and base,now tanabe,and now the atlp for base so many to chose from and all great products.anyone should be able to find an exhaust that fits there needs.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Mike, please consider us RJ kit owners for this exhaust. I want the exhaust, but I just can't cut my bumper. The cutout for the exhaust tips is part of the beauty of the RJ bumper. Can you confirm whether it would fit or not? If not, would you consider an alternate tip, or maybe just extend the pipes and delete the tip like dragonlord suggested?

Also, will this tip come with the ATLP logo like the quads have? It would look great since you have a bigger canvas to work with
Old 02-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Fight On!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This has me stoked--I like it so far, Mike.

Can't wait to see it on an A-Spec.

I'm thinkin' a powder coated Remus-style black muffler w/those chrome tips would be nice especially for upkeep.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CrazyNurse
This has me stoked--I like it so far, Mike.

Can't wait to see it on an A-Spec.

I'm thinkin' a powder coated Remus-style black muffler w/those chrome tips would be nice especially for upkeep.
+1 Remus is awesome, I liked those squared off, polished quad tips on those old boys...
Old 02-03-2009, 04:52 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
HELL YA!! ding ding!!! I think I am sold ($$ as the only deciding factor, gimmie a couple wks.) This is exactly the way I wanted it to look! Those 2 pipes into the tips looks freakin awesome and unique. Like nothing out there. Some might want that blacked out but I would be one of the freaks cleaning out the tips at every car wash showing it off! I like it! The tips stick out just the right amount. I am sure once the A-Spec is on it will peek out just right am I right?

Guys who are analyzing the pics; I am telling you that pics lie. I can bet you it looks way better in person. There's a lot of angles and perspectives that just won't look right in 2D. Wow I am happy! Now how different does it sound than the quads and what does it look with A-Spec is my question.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
I like it a lot. It gives the rear of the car a very muscular look. I think I'm now on a quest to find some oval tips for my Excelerate exhaust!
Old 02-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
More real pics are needed. I am getting this or the XLR8 catback for my A-Spec 06 TL.

I REALLY WANT quad round exits, BUT I am not cutting my recently installed 06 A-Spec body kit. OR buying the TL-S rear lip.

Do I want dual rectangular exhaust or dual 4.5" XLR8 exits???

Last edited by JD TL-S; 02-04-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
We will have a working muffler next week, with sound clips. More pics/clips will come. =)

RonJon guys, is there anyone here in So.Cal? The tip starts around quarter of an inch from the top, so it doesn't start at the narrowest point. Also, the widest point on the tip itself (since it's oval), isn't until the middle.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by aznbo187
We will have a working muffler next week, with sound clips. More pics/clips will come. =)

RonJon guys, is there anyone here in So.Cal? The tip starts around quarter of an inch from the top, so it doesn't start at the narrowest point. Also, the widest point on the tip itself (since it's oval), isn't until the middle.
What are the dimensions of the tip? I can go out and measure the RJ cut-out and compare to the exhaust tip. Here are some pics for those who don't know what we are talking about. I hope these help you Mike.

Stock tip (sorry for the salt residue)

It is hard to try to get the other dimensions with the tip in the way.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:33 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

yea that wont fit without cutting, and even if it does you will melt ur bumper
Old 02-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
>.<
Old 02-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
Yup.. .that's exactly what I said. The heat would mar the bumper. I'm not not too inclined in cutting my RJ rear.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Drifting

Looks like it's XLR8 non-res for me!!! I'm sorry that us RJ people have no input into this. And I was one of the first on this thread oh so many months ago.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Nismo TL yo!

Although I cant say for sure yet due to lack of pictures, I'm not sure if I like it. From the back it looks good, would look better when the inside of the tips are painted black. From the side however, it looks like it doesnt really flow with the curve of the rear bumper like a stock type-s or type-s atlp does, they have that staggered look. However, need MOAR PICS
Old 02-04-2009, 01:28 PM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 6spdtl-s
Although I cant say for sure yet due to lack of pictures, I'm not sure if I like it. From the back it looks good, would look better when the inside of the tips are painted black. From the side however, it looks like it doesnt really flow with the curve of the rear bumper like a stock type-s or type-s atlp does, they have that staggered look. However, need MOAR PICS
You can but it's a $30 option if it's done through Mike or you can paint it yourself.

I'm more interested in seeing the exhaust with the A-Spec lip since I have it as well as others. It would be interesting to see it with the TL-S A-Spec as well just so you can possible get more buyers.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I Think I'm gonna poke some weep holes in my mufflers and go to PepBoys and buy some fresh looking tips
Old 02-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 371 Posts
looks great

Mike it looks great,there is nothing wrong with the tips. the majority rules.
the tips dont need to be more bold, we are ready.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
This thread is starting to tickle my fancy... I ready to put a deposit down! But what's funny is my car is f/s in the BM .
Old 02-06-2009, 01:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Actual muffler fitting early next week. Will have sound clips and more pictures as well.

For the angle, it will be kept that way. It's a bit "bolder" than stock, but really, do you want to pay 1K for something that will just "look" like stock? No, you will regret it.

In person, I really think it looks great, and not bad at all. I can't wait to see it on the road as that will look really fly. As far as the details, we are also going to spend a lot of time TIG welding the tip to the connecting pipes, which will really show off the details from the side.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:55 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Mike can you send me a tip so I can fit and measure and take pics and I'll post up?
Old 02-06-2009, 03:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
I agree

Originally Posted by dragonlord
Looks like it's XLR8 non-res for me!!! I'm sorry that us RJ people have no input into this. And I was one of the first on this thread oh so many months ago.
Thats too bad that it wasn't designed for the RJ kit also. I would think it would have been since RJ is so big on this forum. I myself have the 06 A-Spec body kit and WISH the quad exhausts fit Thats what I really want, the Type-S look.

I will decide between this and the XLR8 non-res when I can do a real comparison in looks and sound. I am not sure if I want a catback that looks like the OEM TL stock exhaust. I WANT QUAD EXHAUST without modding my recently installed 06 A-Spec rear lip.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Drifting

The worst part is that Mike has not even bothered to respond to us RJ owners. That kind of disheartened me. We are not a big bunch, but an exhaust that would fit our kit would have really made for outstanding customer service and a tremendously great look.

And Elegant- don't expect too much- I have asked numerous times for dimensions and for a tip to test fit, but no response ever came.

Sorry Mike- but you lost 1 customer!
Old 02-06-2009, 08:28 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

give him some slack, he is a fulltime student you know

ps. I can bet you $100 after the test fit pics, the tips have been at stromung the entire time.... so wait till he does the final preproduction working prototype for him to give you some measurements

small chance is might fit after all its dual till the tip, so if the length of the 2 tips together is less than 4.5" it'll fit you know
Old 02-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The worst part is that Mike has not even bothered to respond to us RJ owners. That kind of disheartened me. We are not a big bunch, but an exhaust that would fit our kit would have really made for outstanding customer service and a tremendously great look.

And Elegant- don't expect too much- I have asked numerous times for dimensions and for a tip to test fit, but no response ever came.

You kind of answered your own problem....RJ owners are not a big bunch, in fact they're extremely small compared to those who have the factory A-spec kit, which is pretty much everyone. No offense, but its a waste of R&D...esp since I doubt its that easy finding someone around him with a RJ kit that'll leave their bumper with him for the entire process.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Instructor

i like it! cant wait to see better pics, as well as a sound clip, but im sure it should sound badass, like the quads.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Pro

Come on man, cut the guy some slack. Why would Mike, who isn't a large manufacturer with endless resources, gear this exhaust towards the RJ kit when the vast majority of potential buyers do not have the kit? That's just not smart business. Had the tips been fit to accomodate the RJ bumper, they probably wouldn't look right in the base rear making the project as a whole a failure.

I understand your frustration with finding something to fit with your rear bumper, but didn't you consider this when you decided on the RJ kit to begin with given its exclusivity?
Old 02-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Drifting

Yes we are a small bunch, and a VERY proud bunch, but customer service is customer service. I have asked Mike (and others also) for dimensions since the prototype stage, in this thread and by PM, and not once did he respond. Maybe his projects and school are overwhelming, but it only takes 2 minutes to give an answer. I love his quad system, and was seriously going to purchase this one. Now I will buy elsewhere. I will continue to follow this project for you VAST majority of followers just to see what the final product looks like.

GL to you all.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jweb12
Come on man, cut the guy some slack. Why would Mike, who isn't a large manufacturer with endless resources, gear this exhaust towards the RJ kit when the vast majority of potential buyers do not have the kit? That's just not smart business. Had the tips been fit to accomodate the RJ bumper, they probably wouldn't look right in the base rear making the project as a whole a failure.

I understand your frustration with finding something to fit with your rear bumper, but didn't you consider this when you decided on the RJ kit to begin with given its exclusivity?
When I bought my kit 2 years ago, I think the only kit was the CT. That one was too quiet, which is why I went custom Magnaflow. I wasn't asking him to gear the kit to the RJ rear, just to maybe make the tips fit within the RJ rear. I have sent him numerous PM's and questions in his threads about this exhaust, but never really got any answers. I understand that most of you followed everyone else with the A-Spec rear, but some of us go the unique route in everything on the TL, to make ours stand out against the norm. Maybe I am too harsh on Mike and for that I DO APOLOGIZE, just another glitch in the road for us RJ owners.

If I have offended anyone- I didn't not intend to do it intentionally. Ask my wife how I am disappointed that the tips don't fit. I was looking forward to this for a long time. Our other options for exhaust at the time ( CT or custom) and the ones now (Tanabe-too quiet, and XLR8- perfect) have definately widened my choices. But they have bigger R & D budgets. I fell in love with the ATLP quad system and I had hoped this new "base" model would fit. I just compared the "base" exhaust cut-out and compared to the RJ, and there is a considerable difference in size.

If the ATLP exhaust would have been out when I purchased my RJ kit, I would not have bought the RJ kit- that is how much I value the ATLP over the RJ body kit, (but not enough to in my opinion ruin the RJ kit by cutting the exhaust cut-outs to make the ATLP fit).

Last edited by dragonlord; 02-06-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Pro

Is using the stock tips with the atlp cat-back an option? I honestly don't know but could this be a way for you to upgrade your exhuast while keeping the tips that fit in the openings? Like I said, I haven't looked into if this is an option simply becuase it doesn't apply to me. Trust me, I understand where you're coming from. It's kind of a price you pay for going the more unique route unfortunately.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jweb12
Is using the stock tips with the atlp cat-back an option? I honestly don't know but could this be a way for you to upgrade your exhuast while keeping the tips that fit in the openings? Like I said, I haven't looked into if this is an option simply becuase it doesn't apply to me. Trust me, I understand where you're coming from. It's kind of a price you pay for going the more unique route unfortunately.
That is a possible option, as long as the width and height of the twin pipes is no larger than approximately 4" wide by 2-2.5" high. This is one reason I love AZ, our brothers can come up with solutions that I/we may not have thought of. The main reason for either the ATLP or the XLR8 is that I want an engineered system instead of a pieced one, and I am getting tired of the stock tips, I want something that grabs the eye of the people behind me and says " THAT IS NOT A STOCK TL"!

I hope that we can get some dimensions of the final after his prototype is finalzed. Thank you jweb12 for the suggestion.

Sorry everyone else including Mike for my ranting and raving and behaving like a spoiled child! Unemployent has not made me a nice person.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:10 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Ask my wife how I am disappointed that the tips don't fit.
Viagra is the solution.....LOL.....

Come on.....we aint school kids.....ask my wife or ask my mom.....

I agree he didn't respond or some like that, and you have been waiting since 2005 to get the right exhaust....wait couple more days....aint gonna hurt.....

if I were mike and you overwhelm me with email and PM's....i did block you....

so just chill because this exhaust looks so damn hawt you might have to eat your own words about ATLP loosing a customer.....

PEACE !!!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think they look awesome and very unique.
Good work Mike! ATLP is the S#!T. Whats next? :P

Quick Reply: ATLP Base Exhaust final prototype is in.